Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

I think the Tories would be happy with these MRPs all things considered – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,157
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

So here’s an idea. Sunak offers to debate Farage 1:1 and defeats him. A good roll of the dice?

Isn't that a bit like suggesting Sunak should challenge the Incredible Hulk to an arm-wrestling match and defeat him?
    Isn't it relatively easy to defeat the Incredible Hulk in an arm wrestling match, so long as you keep it light, and don't get the fella angry?
    Probably you're thinking of Bruce Banner, not the Hulk.
    Come to think of it, I wouldn't fancy Sunak's chances against Bruce Banner either.

Which character from the Marvel Universe would Rishi Sunak beat in an arm-wrestling match?

Apart from Howard the Duck.
    Ant Man?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,356
    A timely article.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-13489499/NADINE-DORRIES-believe-death-not-end-Thats-explanation-things-Ive-seen.html

NADINE DORRIES: I believe death is not the end. That's the only explanation for so many things I've seen
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,111

ToryJim said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak’s basic problem is that most people hate him. But, he’s really carrying the can for the incompetence of May, Johnson, and Truss.

For me the Tories, main problem is not any single leader but the fact that they have had 5 PMs in 8 years, all of whom have been completely different. This has led to a complete ideological mess and meant that every group of Tory voters has reason to be peed off.

Tory Remainers are annoyed about Brexit
    Tory Brexiteers are annoyed that immigration hasn't been controlled.
    Red Wallers are annoyed that the promised investment hasn't materialised and that Public services are failing
    Thatcherites are annoyed that taxes are at a record high.

And they've even managed to annoy pensioners by freezing tax thresholds and then cutting NI.

You can then see how the complete collapse (Canada) scenario manifests as competing parties didn't need to all cover every segment. LDs can go for the Remainers, Reform for the Brexiteers and Thatcherites, and Labour for the Red Wallers
    Part of the problem has been the breakdown in any sense of collective endeavour. At no point in the entire of the period of government have those less aligned with the strategic position of the leader been willing to go along with things and present a united front. It has always broken down into briefings and letters to Dame Graham. Sunak has basically been being threatened with a VONC for almost his entire time in office.

Sunak has to take responsibility for his errors but he can’t be blamed for the fact that the party has been consistently unwilling to be led. So whatever is coming in a month from now, it’s for the whole Parliamentary Party to own. They should not get away with dumping it all on Sunak, particularly when May and Johnson faced similar factionalism albeit from different parts of the party.
    Absolutely. I also think candidate selection must be partly to blame too e.g. with Con MPs defecting to Lab (I can understand Con to Reform or Lab to Lib, but Con-Lab or vice versa I find inexplicable). It points to people being selected who are careerists rather than because they have strong beliefs.
    Well if voters can move positions on the political spectrum then MPs should be able to as well. I don’t necessarily find it inexplicable particularly for reasonably centrist Tories if the party centre of gravity shifts. Elphicke is the bonkers decision, why shoehorn the scorned wife of the wrong’un MP into his seat. It was asking for trouble, her defection to Labour will defy explanation for decades.
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 450
    edited June 3
    kle4 said:

biggles said:

Ultimately, Sunak’s level was Minister of State. He’s just not good enough for what came after and that’s been really clear.

Starmer, unfortunately, has the same issue. It’s going to be turbulent times for a decade I reckon.

There's really no way to know for sure in advance who might be good and who won't. People who on paper have the experience, the knowledge, to be good PMs can turn out to be terrible, whilst others can have no experience whatsoever (being LoTO is the best we can do if out of power, but it's hardly comparable to the job that it is an application for) can turn out to be great.

Most PMs lack imagination (or have too much of it!), sacrifice ideals for dull pragmatism (or place ideology before everything!), struggle with managing public perception and internal party politics, and don't know nearly as much as they think they do, whilst appointing a random assortment of friends and enemies to run departments and deliver policy with little coherent vision.

In other words they're usually a bit crappy, if we are lucky on the competent side of the scale with a few decent ideas. We don't expect a great deal, so really they should exceed our expectations more than they do.
    Cyril Northcote Parkinson (of Parkinson’s Law fame) had a theory that the ideal job advert would only yield one candidate who was the perfect person for the role. He said that the job advert for Prime Minister ought to specify that the successful applicant would be executed if their opinion poll ratings fell below 40%. That way only someone who was very confident that they would be good at the job would dare apply.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,507

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

So here’s an idea. Sunak offers to debate Farage 1:1 and defeats him. A good roll of the dice?

Isn't that a bit like suggesting Sunak should challenge the Incredible Hulk to an arm-wrestling match and defeat him?
    Isn't it relatively easy to defeat the Incredible Hulk in an arm wrestling match, so long as you keep it light, and don't get the fella angry?
    Come to think of it, I wouldn't fancy Sunak's chances against Bruce Banner either.

Which character from the Marvel Universe would Rishi Sunak beat in an arm-wrestling match?

Ant Man?
    OK. Apart from Howard the Duck and Ant Man.

Apart from Howard the Duck and Ant Man and Aunt May (possibly).

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,381

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak’s basic problem is that most people hate him. But, he’s really carrying the can for the incompetence of May, Johnson, and Truss.

Do most (real world) people hate him? Really? PB is not the real world.
    When something went really badly wrong at work today someone quipped "that was a bit of a Sunak". It got a lot of knowing smiles.
    Yes, people in the real world seem to genuinely dislike Sunak. To a much more universal extent that seemed to be the case with Boris or Truss.
    Of course, that might just be his misfortune to be a fag-end PM. Possibly anyone in his situation would be regarded the same. But I don't recall the same level of opprobrium towards Major. Possibly towards Brown. Like Brown, Sunak unfortunately just ooozes insincerity.
    Few people wanted Major to carry on being PM in 1997, but there was still a sense of him being a decent guy doing his best. So I do think that there was an element of pity snog before dumping him. A bit different with Brown- he wasn't liked and had to go, but there was some respect for a man of substance.

(Doesn't matter how true either impression was, both Major and Brown were old pros who knew how to play the game, if not how to win it.)

Sunak isn't liked or respected, and I suspect that the public haven't fully taken on board how ghastly he presents as. Because he is rubbish at basic politics. Hence a worse result than 1997 is incoming.
    At first when Johnson did something outrageous and Sunak said he wouldn't have done that and resigned he hit his high water mark. It was then downhill. He showed he wasn't a principled leader when he appointed Braverman and his reputation dipped further when he accepted her Rwanda plan. After that it was just a matter of time
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,653
    Stereodog said:

kle4 said:

biggles said:

Ultimately, Sunak’s level was Minister of State. He’s just not good enough for what came after and that’s been really clear.

Starmer, unfortunately, has the same issue. It’s going to be turbulent times for a decade I reckon.

There's really no way to know for sure in advance who might be good and who won't. People who on paper have the experience, the knowledge, to be good PMs can turn out to be terrible, whilst others can have no experience whatsoever (being LoTO is the best we can do if out of power, but it's hardly comparable to the job that it is an application for) can turn out to be great.

Most PMs lack imagination (or have too much of it!), sacrifice ideals for dull pragmatism (or place ideology before everything!), struggle with managing public perception and internal party politics, and don't know nearly as much as they think they do, whilst appointing a random assortment of friends and enemies to run departments and deliver policy with little coherent vision.

In other words they're usually a bit crappy, if we are lucky on the competent side of the scale with a few decent ideas. We don't expect a great deal, so really they should exceed our expectations more than they do.
    Cyril Northcote Parkinson (of Parkinson’s Law fame) had a theory that the ideal job advert would only yield one candidate who was the perfect person for the role. He said that the job advert for Prime Minister ought to specify that the successful applicant would be executed if their opinion poll ratings fell below 40%. That way only someone who was very confident that they would be good at the job would dare apply.
    Or those annoyed assisted suicide is illegal.
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 450

Stereodog said:

kle4 said:

biggles said:

Or those annoyed assisted suicide is illegal.
    They might turn out to be very popular and be thwarted again.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,429
    Roger said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

When something went really badly wrong at work today someone quipped "that was a bit of a Sunak". It got a lot of knowing smiles.
    Yes, people in the real world seem to genuinely dislike Sunak. To a much more universal extent that seemed to be the case with Boris or Truss.
    Of course, that might just be his misfortune to be a fag-end PM. Possibly anyone in his situation would be regarded the same. But I don't recall the same level of opprobrium towards Major. Possibly towards Brown. Like Brown, Sunak unfortunately just ooozes insincerity.
    Few people wanted Major to carry on being PM in 1997, but there was still a sense of him being a decent guy doing his best. So I do think that there was an element of pity snog before dumping him. A bit different with Brown- he wasn't liked and had to go, but there was some respect for a man of substance.

(Doesn't matter how true either impression was, both Major and Brown were old pros who knew how to play the game, if not how to win it.)

Sunak isn't liked or respected, and I suspect that the public haven't fully taken on board how ghastly he presents as. Because he is rubbish at basic politics. Hence a worse result than 1997 is incoming.
    At first when Johnson did something outrageous and Sunak said he wouldn't have done that and resigned he hit his high water mark. It was then downhill. He showed he wasn't a principled leader when he appointed Braverman and his reputation dipped further when he accepted her Rwanda plan. After that it was just a matter of time
    I think this post says more than you meant it to. From the start he was seeking the approval of people who would never vote for him like you, and then lost that anyway by pursuing Rwanda.

It was an odd strategy.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,435
    Still four weeks to remind voters about nasty ULEZ.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,381
    edited June 3
    Nigelb said:

How to stop Farage in full flow.
    https://x.com/DUPleader/status/1797662088627994889/

UK broadcasters should take note.

That's brilliant. The BBC should pay a substantial signing on fee for her and then let her name her salary. It just reminds you what a sad bunch we have now they've hollowed out the BBC. The last one with bottle was Emily Maitliss
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    Tommorows Papers

Dorries: Death is not the end based on everything I’ve seen
    Lammy: how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb
    Daily Telegraph: Covid jabs caused excess deaths
    Daily Star: our tits are getting bigger and bigger
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

Ant Man?

Vision.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,066
    I won't shed any tears if the Tories get wiped out on 4th July.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,638
    edited June 3
    DM_Andy said:

HYUFD said:

DM_Andy said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

The problem for Sunak is that he would probably defeat Farage with all the voters who would never vote either Conservative or RefUK.
    In Thanet South in 2015 it was Labour and LD voters tactically voting for Tory candidate Craig Mackinlay that beat UKIP and Farage
    Do you have any evidence backing that up? Nationally there was a 0.5% swing from Con to Lab in GE15, in South Thanet it was 1.2% with Labour losing the Stephen Ladyman incumbency premium which might have added another 1%. Lib Dems did plummet from 15% to under 2% but they plummeted everywhere in GE15.

How about the next election, did any tactical vote unwind? Nationally there was a 2.0% swing from Con to Lab, In South Thanet it was 0.7% with Mackinley now getting the benefit of incumbency. It looks like Farage/UKIP took votes from Con, Lab and LD evenly with LD>Con and LD>Lab churn within that. I don't see any evidence of tactical voting within the data.

Yes. In 2015 the Labour vote was down 7.6% in Thanet South compared to up 1% nationally. The LD vote was down 13% in Thanet South too.

The Tories beat Farage and UKIP by just 5.7% in the seat, so yes it was Labour and LD tactical votes for the Tories that beat Farage in Thanet in 2015

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Thanet_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
    I think you're making an unlikely conclusion out of the data available.

Yes the Labour vote was down because some GE10 Lab voters voted for Farage/UKIP. The Tory vote was also down because some GE10 Con voters voted for Farage.

If you assume that most Farage/UKIP voters were GE10 Tories and therefore the loss in support from GE10 Labour and LD voters must have switched to Con to compensate for that loss then we would see that unwind in GE17 with the absence of Farage and no need for tactical voting. Lib Dems were 15% in GE10, 2% in GE15 and 3% in GE17, where did those 13% go? It seems like it split, the LD voters that liked coalition with the Tories moved to become Tories (not a tactical vote, a genuine change of preference that was common throughout the South) and the LD voters who had voted LD as a left-wing alternative to Labour moved back to Labour.
    Yes I do, the evidence is clear that had Labour and LD voters not tactically voted Tory in 2015 Farage would have won due to gains from 2010 Labour and 2010 UKIP Brexiteers.

2017 figures are irrelevant. Yes some LD voters who voted Tory in 2015 in Thanet went Labour in 2017 once fear of Farage had gone and he was not standing but without their support lent to Mackinley in 2015, Farage would have won in 2015
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,573
    Japan state visit to the UK in June to go ahead:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cxww0e2xlnxo
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,641
    7 Labour Councillors in Slough abandon the party over the Feiza Shaheen affair etc
  • Options
    You can still get a 7% return on a Labour overall majority. Seems quite generous.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.167249195
  • Options
    If you want to understand just how manufactured the transgender culture war is, less than 2 years ago Kemi Badenoch was celebrating the fact that it was becoming easier to apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate

https://x.com/joseph_gellman/status/1797547988379955603

Nobody tell Leon.
  • Options

If you want to understand just how manufactured the transgender culture war is, less than 2 years ago Kemi Badenoch was celebrating the fact that it was becoming easier to apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate

Nobody tell Leon.

That's the end of Kemi's leadership run then.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 729
    YouGov’s toss-up seats are something to behold: Sittingbourne, Broxbourne, Devon Central - Lab just a point behind Con in all three of those.
  • Options

7 Labour Councillors in Slough abandon the party over the Feiza Shaheen affair etc

Pretty inconsequential. Slough isn't going anywhere apart from Labour at elections that matter.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,795

Good riddance I suspect.

The more the toxic left leave Labour, the more electable they become.
  • Options
    NeilVW said:

YouGov’s toss-up seats are something to behold: Sittingbourne, Broxbourne, Devon Central - Lab just a point behind Con in all three of those.

Sittingbourne was Labour in the Blair years
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,543
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

Ant Man?

Professor X?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

NeilVW said:

It's difficult to believe Broxbourne could ever be gained by Labour from Conservative.
  • Options

Nobody tell Leon.

From 2021: Trans-row professor Kathleen Stock backed by minister Kemi Badenoch

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/trans-row-professor-professor-kathleen-stock-backed-by-equalities-minister-kemi-badenoch-f28jtkckw
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,467
    edited June 4
    Its the Telegraph and anecdotal so caveat emptor...cheaper and easier to run a business in France. Is that the state the UK has got into that productivity is higher in France, tax system is more straightforward and it even easier to set up a business !!!!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/property/bought-dream-home-france-cheaper-cost-england/
  • Options
    edited June 4
    Andy_JS said:

That only happens if Farage wipes them out and realigns the right in his favour.

However Reform voters alone even then would not be enough to beat Labour, they would need some One Nation Tories too. If they went LD then Starmer could largely stay PM even if the economy went south by dividing the opposition between Farage and Reform on the right, the LDs and rump One Nation centrist Tories and the Greens to his left. In such a scenario FPTP would ironically be better for Starmer Labour than FPTP but PR now better for the Tories as well as ReformUK, the LDs and Greens
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,111
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

NeilVW said:

It's difficult to believe Broxbourne could ever be gained by Labour from Conservative.
    I’d never rule it out, but given in the council area that forms the bulk of the seat the Tories still managed more than 50% of the vote in the recent local elections I’d be surprised if they were in that tight a fight.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,206
    edited June 4
    I see Sunak was campaigning in Henley on the same day as the LD deputy leader was there, sign of the times...
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

I see Sunak was campaigning in Henley on the same day as the LD deputy leader was there, sign of the times...

I am not sure they are sending Sunak to places to actually campaign, seems more they send him to places that minimises the chances of running into hostile members of the public.
  • Options
    I'm wondering if RFM have lined up some Conservative PPC defections 30 minutes before polls close. Would allow them to run with no Conservative opposition...
  • Options

Chameleon said:

I am not sure they are sending Sunak to places to actually campaign, seems more they send him to places that minimises the chances of running into hostile members of the public.
    In which case they're doing a sterling job at research given the LD leader was taking a boat trip to film a video (which she spotted him while on and went away for reinforcements).
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

NeilVW said:

I’d never rule it out, but given in the council area that forms the bulk of the seat the Tories still managed more than 50% of the vote in the recent local elections I’d be surprised if they were in that tight a fight.
    I agree, but that means the MRP studies aren't right.
  • Options
    edited June 4
    Hacked documents show that the Managing Editor of the pro-Russia, pro-China, pro-Iran outlet @TheGrayzoneNews, Wyatt Reed is on the payroll of PressTV, the propaganda machine of the Islamic regime in Iran.

https://x.com/visegrad24/status/1797778977454792904

Is interesting when you start to follow the breadcrumbs of who these people a) side with (its not just Iran), b) side against and c) seem to associate with.

Wyatt Reed is not the only Grayzone author to have worked for Russian outlets. Grayzone contributor and London journalist Mohamed Elmaazi wrote full-time for Sputnik between 2019 and 2021, he says on his LinkedIn profile. Regular Grayzone freelancer Jeremy Loffredo was full-time at RT in the same years, according to his LinkedIn. Neither responded to requests for comment. All these people helped both Russia and Iran to spread disinformation in America.

https://x.com/Top1Rating/status/1797779401964462165

There is some proper journalism to be done here about the new media journalists.
  • Options
    edited June 4
    Israel confirms deaths of four more hostages in Gaza
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cgrrng3l6jro

Have got to think that all the hostages are dead now, bar the few human shields around the boss man. Both from the time in captivity, but also they aren't serving any real purpose for Hamas now, as the deals being proposed are now just talking about return of bodies on the same level as any that might be alive.
  • Options
    edited June 4
    British bank accused of helping to fund terrorists
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd11j09q2llo

BBC slipping up calling Hezbollah, Hamas, al-Qaeda and the Taliban terrorists without the quote marks. It should of course be "groups that some countries define as terrorists".

Andy Verity will be sent for re-education.
  • Options
    https://edition.cnn.com/2024/06/03/politics/biden-immigration-executive-order/index.html

President Joe Biden is expected to announce an executive order as early as Tuesday that would effectively shut down the US-Mexico border to asylum-seekers crossing illegally when a daily threshold of crossings is exceeded – a sweeping and controversial proposal that is likely to receive fierce pushback from progressives and immigration advocates.

The executive action, described to CNN by multiple people briefed on the order, would mark a significant attempt by Biden to address head on one of his biggest political vulnerabilities, just weeks before the first presidential debate with former President Donald Trump. Trump has made hard-line immigration policies a cornerstone of his campaign.

The executive order uses an authority known as “212(f)” – a regulation used under the Trump administration and widely denounced at the time by Democrats.
  • Options
    edited June 4

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/06/03/politics/biden-immigration-executive-order/index.html

President Joe Biden is expected to announce an executive order as early as Tuesday that would effectively shut down the US-Mexico border to asylum-seekers crossing illegally when a daily threshold of crossings is exceeded – a sweeping and controversial proposal that is likely to receive fierce pushback from progressives and immigration advocates.

The executive action, described to CNN by multiple people briefed on the order, would mark a significant attempt by Biden to address head on one of his biggest political vulnerabilities, just weeks before the first presidential debate with former President Donald Trump. Trump has made hard-line immigration policies a cornerstone of his campaign.

The executive order uses an authority known as “212(f)” – a regulation used under the Trump administration and widely denounced at the time by Democrats.

I think it will be a bit like the Tories here. Its no good doing this after 4 years of doing nothing. The claims he couldn't do anything because of the houses blocking things, then with a few months to go to an election, they pull out Trumps executive order (which I presume every well known Democrat called racist at the time).
  • Options
    edited June 4
    Donald Trump has raised $200 million since the former president was found guilty of 34 felonies last Thursday,
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 768
    India

Counting starts 3.30 am BST

https://www.ndtv.com/livetv-ndtv24x7

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/elections/results

Hopefully my last "antisocial hours" elec until July 4/5!

Thanks

DC
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,895
    DM_Andy said:

Jonathan said:

So, let's go against a debate opponent who is more experienced, more skilled and has been talking about this particular topic as his specialist subject. What's the chances of rolling a 15 on 2d6?
    Dungeon Master Andy?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,465

BBC slipping up calling Hezbollah, Hamas, al-Qaeda and the Taliban terrorists without the quote marks. It should of course be "groups that some countries define as terrorists".

Do these banks have some special department available for terrorists only ? Because they're an absolute pain in the arse with to deal with as an SME business (Personal banking is by and large better)
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 768
    Pulpstar said:

Do these banks have some special department available for terrorists only ? Because they're an absolute pain in the arse with to deal with as an SME business (Personal banking is by and large better)
    I would imagine terrorists probably have a bit more financial clout?
  • Options
    edited June 4
    Pulpstar said:

It is quite incredible, when they aren't busy debanking people for spurious reasons they are pain in the arse if you are a legit business, but if you are a criminal or a terrorist, seems like you get VVIP treatment.
  • Options
    edited June 4

Pulpstar said:

Reports are Hamas stolen $100m from banks in Gaza over the past couple of months. That will buy some nice villas in Turkey.
  • Options

India

Thanks

DC

If exit polls are to be believed, Mr Modi and the BJP will be coasting to a historic third term.

An average of a dozen polls predicts the BJP-led NDA winning 365 of 543 seats.

The most optimistic polls give the NDA 400 seats, matching Mr Modi's target, while the lowest estimate is 316 seats, still well above the 272 needed to form a government.
  • Options
    "Convicted paedophiles could soon be ordered to undergo surgical castration in Louisiana
    Judges in the US state can already order someone convicted of child sex crimes to undergo chemical castration - but the surgical method is a much more invasive procedure"

https://news.sky.com/story/convicted-paedophiles-could-soon-be-ordered-to-undergo-surgical-castration-in-louisiana-13147575
  • Options
    In the past 50 years, Tokyo has built more new homes than the *total* number of homes in New York City.

https://x.com/sam_d_1995/status/1797415566094807375
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,699
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

That only happens if Farage wipes them out and realigns the right in his favour.

However Reform voters alone even then would not be enough to beat Labour, they would need some One Nation Tories too. If they went LD then Starmer could largely stay PM even if the economy went south by dividing the opposition between Farage and Reform on the right, the LDs and rump One Nation centrist Tories and the Greens to his left. In such a scenario FPTP would ironically be better for Starmer Labour than FPTP but PR now better for the Tories as well as ReformUK, the LDs and Greens
    On the other hand PR would probably make the break up of the right wing into separate parties a permanent state of affairs.
  • Options
    edited June 4
    He said the "growing range of pressures on the next education secretary's to-do list" also included school building repair backlogs and the rising number of children with special educational needs and disabilities (Send).

The number of children with the highest levels of Send has increased by more than 60% since 2015 - driving a £3.5bn increase in the high-needs budget, the report says. That has used up nearly half of the £7.6bn increase in school spending in the same time period.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c133gem0m78o
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,877
    edited June 4
    DM_Andy said:

I've not met anyone who hates Sunak

I passionately hate Sunak and so does everyone I know. My Surrey tory friend thinks he’s horrible, and stabbed her beloved Boris in the back, and another sometime tory voter I know thinks he’s nasty and can’t stand him and described Sunak to me yesterday as ‘evil’.

I hate Sunak. He’s a nasty little shit who has attacked vulnerable groups and people in his evil culture wars. He’s highly privileged, out of touch with ordinary people, and his policies are ruthlessly uncaring.

I hate Sunak. Loathe him.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,551
    Chameleon said:

Out of interest who would you put as the most influential figures/protagonists in British politics in the 2010-25 era?

For me it's Farage, followed by Johnson. Cameron, Salmond, Corbyn, Sturgeon hon. mentions.

Without the first two the past decade and a half would have been very different - despite never being elected Farage has set the agenda that led to the (likely) almost elimination of the Tories. Meanwhile Johnson has been the posterboy from Cameroonite Conservatism, through to Brexit, then chaos.

Dominic Cummings?

Boris not for Brexit, which would have happened eventually and probably with a better deal, but for purging his opponents from the PCP and leaving behind a bunch of incompetent ideologues, with whom, ironically, he shared no political philosophy.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,915

Its the Telegraph and anecdotal so caveat emptor...cheaper and easier to run a business in France. Is that the state the UK has got into that productivity is higher in France, tax system is more straightforward and it even easier to set up a business !!!!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/property/bought-dream-home-france-cheaper-cost-england/

Brexit benefits ?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,503
    Nigelb said:

Brexit benefits ?
    The couple in the article would have zero chance of being able to make that move now. Post Brexit you need to jump through so many hoops and the income requirements more than doubled . The DT having been strongly Leave now has the cheek to print that article .
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,043
    edited June 4
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

On the other hand PR would probably make the break up of the right wing into separate parties a permanent state of affairs.
    Do you think Starmer might really do it?

He'd have the opportunity. Blair had it, and passed.

It would render a massive improvement to our political system a single costless stroke.

I think he might but you can never be sure. Politicians, eh?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Brexit benefits ?
    The couple in the article would have zero chance of being able to make that move now. Post Brexit you need to jump through so many hoops and the income requirements more than doubled . The DT having been strongly Leave now has the cheek to print that article .
    I doubt it has much to do with Brexit.

As I understand it, the two main reason business costs in this country are so high are poor infrastructure and training.

Brexit may have been a dumb idea but difficult to blame it for either of those.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Reports are Hamas stolen $100m from banks in Gaza over the past couple of months. That will buy some nice villas in Turkey.
    Banks have worked tirelessly over the years to establish a set of strict money laundering regulations which will prevent you from making even fairly modest investments from lawfully acquired funds. Terrorist organisations can of course circumvent these with ease, but that's not the point.

The point is to appear to be doing something whilst making the banks lots of money from the pretence.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,503

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Brexit benefits ?

As I understand it, the two main reason business costs in this country are so high are poor infrastructure and training.

I was talking about the move to France . The business issues in the UK are of course another matter .
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,019

India

Thanks

DC

If exit polls are to be believed, Mr Modi and the BJP will be coasting to a historic third term.

An average of a dozen polls predicts the BJP-led NDA winning 365 of 543 seats.

The most optimistic polls give the NDA 400 seats, matching Mr Modi's target, while the lowest estimate is 316 seats, still well above the 272 needed to form a government.
    Looking like a much slimmer majority for the NDA than expected, based on current counting.
  • Options

Donald Trump has raised $200 million since the former president was found guilty of 34 felonies last Thursday,

Trump has found a nice little racket. Why should he give the suckers an even break?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,888

Trump has found a nice little racket. Why should he give the suckers an even break?
    As a matter of interest, where do such claims come from? Are the figures true? In which case, why would we trust the word of a campaign led by a felon who lies, and lies, and lies?

Also, are they actual money in the bank, or just pledges?

(I have no idea how the US campaign system works...)
  • Options
    BJP predicted to fall short of an absolute majority on its own, will have to rely on allies.

This doesn’t feel like a great result for Modi, all things considered.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

It would be nice to think they were that smart, FU, but the evidence suggests otherwise.

Are they running a worse campaign than May's? I think so. The Henly fiasco may have appeared trivial, but you have to ask why nobody checked the backdrop and spotted the possibility of embarrassing photobombers.

Are they amateurs, or just plug stupid?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,915

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Brexit benefits ?

That wasn't my point.
    Rather that Brexit was supposed to make all this better - and as I've regularly noted, all it has done is provide a decade long distraction from addressing any of our real problems.

Still, now Farage is running, Brexiteers get the opportunity to vote for fantasy Brexit all over again.
    So the distraction continues.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Really, Andy?

May I remind you of your prediction in Benpointer's Excellent Competition? NOM and Labour 290 seats you said. How are you going to cope with the humiliation?

If I were you I'd get out there now and start canvassing for Sunak.
  • Options
    edited June 4

BJP predicted to fall short of an absolute majority on its own, will have to rely on allies.

Looking like a serious polling failure. They were supposed to be winning in the way the poll last night predicts for Labour here.
  • Options

As a matter of interest, where do such claims come from? Are the figures true? In which case, why would we trust the word of a campaign led by a felon who lies, and lies, and lies?

Also, are they actual money in the bank, or just pledges?

(I have no idea how the US campaign system works...)
    I doubt anybody but him really knows how his finances work.

He ought to be bust by now, but he plainly has massive support. All thiose MAGA mugs? Putin?

I really have no idea.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,448

PM Farage with POTUS Trump could be interesting.
  • Options

PM Farage with POTUS Trump could be interesting.
    In Leon’s echo chamber imaginary world, this is coming soon.

Meanwhile, back in reality ...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

Brexit benefits ?

That wasn't my point.
    Rather that Brexit was supposed to make all this better - and as I've regularly noted, all it has done is provide a decade long distraction from addressing any of our real problems.

Still, now Farage is running, Brexiteers get the opportunity to vote for fantasy Brexit all over again.
    So the distraction continues.
    He could be the man of the moment.

As the EU heads to the hard right he'll be the Man. Starmer no mates will have no-one talk to.
  • Options
    @HYUFD made an interesting point earlier, slightly marred by then heading off on a tangent.

It’s what kind of % the hard right really represent electorally in this country. He suggested 30%.

I think that’s generous but let’s assume it’s correct.

The point is very simple. The hard right cannot, and will never, win power in the UK. This isn’t the US. We are very very different and it ain’t going to happen.

So quite what will transpire for centre-right politics I don’t know. Someone’s suggestion that Labour now occupy the centre-right is amusing but untrue. Starmer is a pragmatist, yes, but he’s fairly left of centre. His Labour Party may attract some One Nation tories, but I think that’s not going to be a widespread move.

So what the hell happens to the centre-right here after the election? Will the Conservative Party survive? And if so what will they do about the hard right Faragists? Will that fault line which we’ve all known about for 20+ years now become an unbridgeable canyon? Did Brexit finally break the tories?

One corollary of all this is that Sunak’s lurch to the right is now utterly doomed. He is, as Peston put it, Reform Lite. His appeal to the dog whistle anti-woke culture wars is now undone. And he’s lost the One Nation tories in the process.

We could possibly see a poll with the Conservative share in mid-teens, perhaps as low as 15%.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,637

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

For the Tories on here who miss having an effective and likeable leader:

https://youtu.be/q71j4S3r4Yo?si=coVw9J-8ak-nlSTY

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,542
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

When Major lost to Blair and drove to the Palace to resign as PM there was a sea of middle fingers from the public waving him goodbye down The Mall.

His reputation improved after his defeat, but not during. And he was considered to be weak at the time.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Unfair but yes. Sunak is neither as dishonest as Johnson nor as deluded as Truss but isn't appreciated for it.

I think there is some substance to the public's dislike of Sunak. A billionaire with a very right wing ideology, thinks government should be "small" ie favour rich people liked himself, has clearly no interest in people and how they live. This doesn't sit well.
    Sunak is a nice guy, who loves his family, works hard and is a logical and competent administrator of government.

The trouble is he shit political instincts and a tin ear for connecting with people. That's why he's in the trouble he's in.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233
    Well at least the election is now going to be interesting. Farage is incredibly marmite. You’d think he was the second coming of either Christ or Hitler depending on your politics according to to social media.

The Tories really are screwed. Sunak is just bland. A charisma bypass.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Out of interest who would you put as the most influential figures/protagonists in British politics in the 2010-25 era?

For me it's Farage, followed by Johnson. Cameron, Salmond, Corbyn, Sturgeon hon. mentions.

Without the first two the past decade and a half would have been very different - despite never being elected Farage has set the agenda that led to the (likely) almost elimination of the Tories. Meanwhile Johnson has been the posterboy from Cameroonite Conservatism, through to Brexit, then chaos.

Gove. And probably also Corbyn since his lack of campaigning may have tipped the 2016 referendum and secured the 2017 and 2019GE wins for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    p.s. lovely to see my friend Mishal Husain eviscerate Kemi Badenoch yesterday. About time someone took down the opportunistic little shit and that person probably needed to be a) woman and b) someone of colour.

Mishal is very bright, unlike her interviewee yesterday.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,806
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

That would not matter, because they could always come together afterwards to form a government, if they wanted to, and if they had enough votes (ie support from the general public).
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Heathener said:

DM_Andy said:

I passionately hate Sunak and so does everyone I know. My Surrey tory friend thinks he’s horrible, and stabbed her beloved Boris in the back, and another sometime tory voter I know thinks he’s nasty and can’t stand him and described Sunak to me yesterday as ‘evil’.

I hate Sunak. He’s a nasty little shit who has attacked vulnerable groups and people in his evil culture wars. He’s highly privileged, out of touch with ordinary people, and his policies are ruthlessly uncaring.

"We'll put you down as a 'don't know'."
    :smiley:

Funny thing is that I’ve twice voted Conservative in General Elections.

There’s a lot of people like me who cannot stand what the current tories have done and where they’ve gone.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

DM_Andy said:

Posts like this just to confirm to everyone your youth and immaturity.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

DM_Andy said:

Jonathan said:

So, let's go against a debate opponent who is more experienced, more skilled and has been talking about this particular topic as his specialist subject. What's the chances of rolling a 15 on 2d6?
    Dungeon Master Andy?
    Interesting if so - @Morris_Dancer and I are both DMs; would be good to know if the PBDM sub-community is larger than we thought.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Unfair but yes. Sunak is neither as dishonest as Johnson nor as deluded as Truss but isn't appreciated for it.

I think there is some substance to the public's dislike of Sunak. A billionaire with a very right wing ideology, thinks government should be "small" ie favour rich people liked himself, has clearly no interest in people and how they live. This doesn't sit well.
    Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

No one who deliberately inflames culture wars, promotes sending boat people to a corrupt dangerous African country, attacks people with disabilities including mental ill-health, attacks LGBGTQ minorities, attacks young people on their smart phones and wants to march them off to war, flies everywhere in a helicopter to block out the appalling public service decline over which he has presided … can be described as a ‘nice guy.’

I’d love it if he lost his seat. He’s a thoroughly nasty piece of work.

Only a tory campaigner a long, long, way down their rabbit hole could think otherwise.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 990
    viewcode said:

DM_Andy said:

Jonathan said:

Dungeon Master Andy?
    Mostly yes. Normally I ran the table when we played D&D but I did share the behind the screen duties with another Andy (it being an invariable rule of gaming groups that at least two people must share the same name). I had a penchant for wearing Depeche Mode tour t-shirts at the time and the other Andy tended to wear Black Sabbath ones so I became "DM Andy" and the other Andy became "Black Sabbath"

@HYUFD I will return to the South Thanet GE15 result but probably won't have time until the weekend.
  • Options
    edited June 4

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Do you think Starmer might really do it?

He'd have the opportunity. Blair had it, and passed.

It would render a massive improvement to our political system a single costless stroke.

I think he might but you can never be sure. Politicians, eh?
    In any world where Labour has 380+ seats, PR is going to be pretty unattractive to Starmer (and doubly so his MPs).
  • Options

Heathener said:

DM_Andy said:

Posts like this just to confirm to everyone your youth and immaturity.
    You love the ‘everyone thinks x, y, or z about you’ idea.

It says a lot about your own insecurities. As well as your innate nastiness. You and the current Conservative Party are well suited and your defeat thoroughly deserved.
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 423
    I Denmark the social democrats were able to end a decade long term in opposition by emulating hard right Danish People's party policies on migration and culture. Not pleasant at all, but it worked. It utterly decimated the right. I wonder if that is what we will be looking at in Britain.... that would be heart breaking to me. If there are any labour party lurkers reading along: you have my support on the gamble that we begin a process back to the European union and preferably apply for SM in a second term. That is it. I am not voting labour to get rose branded UKIP.

https://agendapublica.es/noticia/14102/state-of-denmark-and-whether-it-should-be-copied-by-europe
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,229

Andy_JS said:

Really, Andy?

May I remind you of your prediction in Benpointer's Excellent Competition? NOM and Labour 290 seats you said. How are you going to cope with the humiliation?

If I were you I'd get out there now and start canvassing for Sunak.
    I went for NOM too.

I didn't think the Conservatives would be this useless nor Labour so well drilled.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

@HYUFD made an interesting point earlier, slightly marred by then heading off on a tangent.

It’s what kind of % the hard right really represent electorally in this country. He suggested 30%.

The point is very simple. The hard right cannot, and will never, win power in the UK. This isn’t the US. We are very very different and it ain’t going to happen.

So quite what will transpire for centre-right politics I don’t know. Someone’s suggestion that Labour now occupy the centre-right is amusing but untrue. Starmer is a pragmatist, yes, but he’s fairly left of centre. His Labour Party may attract some One Nation tories, but I think that’s not going to be a widespread move.

So what the hell happens to the centre-right here after the election? Will the Conservative Party survive? And if so what will they do about the hard right Faragists? Will that fault line which we’ve all known about for 20+ years now become an unbridgeable canyon? Did Brexit finally break the tories?

One corollary of all this is that Sunak’s lurch to the right is now utterly doomed. He is, as Peston put it, Reform Lite. His appeal to the dog whistle anti-woke culture wars is now undone. And he’s lost the One Nation tories in the process.

We could possibly see a poll with the Conservative share in mid-teens, perhaps as low as 15%.

I think 30% is probably high too - I’d say rather there’s more a hardcore of 10%-ish genuinely hard right and then depending how respectable any political vehicle can make them, a further 10% who can be persuaded to go that far. Times change of course, and an issue like Brexit - which is not inherently a hard right cause but was enthusiastically adopted by it - can deliver more votes if deployed effectively as a wedge.

Luckily or not, the hard right’s Achilles heel is competence, more so than the far left whose weakness is factionalism (though both phenomena effect both extremes, of course) - hence BNP, UKIP etc councillors tend not to last that long when actually elected and realise that they can’t bring back proper binmen.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

Sunak is a nice guy,.
    No he isn’t.

No one who deliberately inflames culture wars, promotes sending boat people to a corrupt dangerous African country, attacks people with disabilities including mental ill-health, attacks LGBGTQ minorities, attacks young people on their smart phones and wants to march them off to war, flies everywhere in a helicopter to block out the appalling public service decline over which he has presided … can be described as a ‘nice guy.’

I’d love it if he lost his seat. He’s a thoroughly nasty piece of work.

Only a tory campaigner a long, long, way down their rabbit hole could think otherwise.
    Well so you say but the only nastiness Ive noticed in this campaign is Starmer bullying a woman because she's elderly and black.

And probably because she's a woman too, Labour dont do women.
  • Options
    edited June 4
    I really hope the genuinely decent people in the Conservative Party (of whom CR isn’t one) can wrestle back their Party.

We need them back on the centre-right.

Extremism of the Faragist-Sunak-Badenoch-Braverman-Tommy Robinson populist kind should appall all but the most nasty citizens.

Thank goodness we have FPTP in this country to help keep out such extremism.
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 188
    Farage is vg at grinning but a clip on Newsnight showed him throwing a hissy fit (or doing a Kemi) when a journo was trying to question him....the BBC is a disgrace etc . Galloway reacts in just the same way.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,169

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

When Major lost to Blair and drove to the Palace to resign as PM there was a sea of middle fingers from the public waving him goodbye down The Mall.

His reputation improved after his defeat, but not during. And he was considered to be weak at the time.
    In a country the size of Britain you can always find any number of knobheads out to make a point. But I recall Major himself being held in considerably higher esteem than his party. I don't think this is true of Rishi.
    I wonder if things might have been different for him had he taken over as soon as Boris's star began to wane.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Nah. I’m old enough to remember the obituaries for the Labour Party in the far off year of *checks notes* 2019.

And 2015.

And the Tory obituaries in 2005, 2001, and 1997.

And the Labour obituaries in 1992, 1987, and 1983.

The “other lot” always comes back. Even if the Tory Party dies (highly unlikely), a right wing Government will take power in due course, possibly as a soon as next time in a world this volatile.

In 2024, it’s Labour’s “turn”. But that just means the clock starts ticking on the chess clock.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I really hope the genuinely decent people in the Conservative Party (of whom CR isn’t one) can wrestle back their Party.

We need them back on the centre-right.

Extremism of the Faragist-Sunak-Badenoch-Braverman-Tommy Robinson populist kind should appall all but the most nasty citizens.

Thank goodness we have FPTP in this country to help keep out such extremism.

LOL lefties have been wishing for the obliteration of the Conservaties for as long as I can remember now it seems possible you are all bricking it.

Be careful what you wish for.
  • Options

Looking like a serious polling failure. They were supposed to be winning in the way the poll last night predicts for Labour here.
    Got to be a better result for Indian democracy than another Modi landslide. He might actually have to listen to other views slightly.
This discussion has been closed.