Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Your reminder the betting markets are frequently wrong – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762

stodge said:

stodge said:

EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

nova said:

Rishi Sunak is back to his flipchart.

https://x.com/rishisunak/status/1797300380058992648

I don't understand how this is the 'big idea' and yet he wanted to debate Starmer 6 times.

Clearly Labour do have plans, and plenty of them are pretty detailed. Is he really going to sit and listen to Starmer talking about what Labour plan to do for an hour, and then sum up with "see, no plans!"?
    He simultaneously says Labour would take us back to square one and destroy the economy but also that they have no plans.
    Labour do have no plans that will actually fix things, neither to be fair do the tories or lib dems. Doesn't matter which gets in the economy will still get worse
    Pretty much what I am hearing on the doorstep. There is a real anti-politics mood out there.

(Apart from those voters who love our candidate, natch....)
    Which I made the point about earlier....politicians are held in slim regard as is our legal system these days whether enforcement (the police) or dealing with it (the judiciary etc)
    There is real skepticism about Labour. Nobody I have spoken to thinks Labour can hold the line on not increasing taxes/NI whilst improving services.

Nobody.

I had a guy today saying he was moving away from Labour for this very reason. He thought Labour were taking the piss.

(I also had a life-long LibDem today say she couldn't support them now. People feel they are not getting truthful responses from politicians across the board, not just from the Tories. Hard to see turnout breaking any records.)
    ...keep plugging away if it makes you feel better..
    I'll keep posting what I find on the doorstep. It has served me well here.

Is anyone knocking doors finding a love of politicians of any Party? I mean, really?
    In fairness, your findings are that Labour and Lib Dems are losing their voters, including lifelong voters. If this is the complete picture, then Tory 80+ majority markets are available.
    Hardly suggested that it was all. But you'd be forgiven for thinking reading pb.com that only the Tories are suffering from the anti-politics mood. There is a widespread feeling that far too many politicians of all parties are refusing to admit what needs to be said: that services aren't going to improve, because nobody will fund them. They are being taken for fools.
    "Services aren't going to improve because nobody will fund them" - okay. Let's assume a party put forward increasing taxes to pay for additional Services and perhaps reducing defence spending to concentrate on frontline Services. How do you imagine such a Party would do in an election?

How do you get more money to fund Services - the Lafferites would have you believe if you cut taxes, especially for the wealthy, the resulting economic growth will somehow generate more tax revenue . I don't believe that.
    I have chatted to people today saying they want honesty - tell us we will need to pay higher taxes to get better services. Just tell us how much. They will respond to honesty.

That may or may not be widespread. Politicians will certainly not believe it is widespread.
    At what point will the Conservative Party actively endorse higher taxes? If it did, you'd get some populist chump claiming he or she could fund everything AND cut taxes and they'd get 30% of the vote (possibly).

Where I do agree is that it has been impossible for two generations to have a sensible debate about taxation - we want European (or even Scandinavian) services at American levels of personal taxation. That circle can't be squared but you and I both know as soon as anyone talks about raising taxes, the media goes off the deep end.

What it needs is the concensus @Pagan2 talks about - all parties agree publicly taxes will rise (that will never happen).
    I'm not sure that's the answer either. Fundamentally, it's growth.

Does democracy still work when you have to pay ever more for less?

Bear in mind the last 250 years we've had, outside recessions, consistent growth and a decent TRR (total replacement ratio).
    I am not claiming its an answer I am however saying it is necessary to start answering the question
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

BTW, I have not yet had ANYBOBDY mention Reform. Not one.

I think they are massively over-represented in the polling.

I am mentioning reform in the morning thread.

ELECTORAL REFORM.
    Feck.

It can't be...

Surely not...

Please no...

Not AV?!!!! :hushed:
    Be careful it could be STV
    Well I for one hope it's STV rather than AV. Which is right up the namby pamby end of the electoral reform spectrum.
  • megasaurmegasaur Posts: 586
    Jamarion said:

Sandpit said:

It's from the Spectator, so a small health warning applies, but the private school policy is definitely cutting through in some of the more affluent constituencies, and not in a good way for Labour:

Any policy that picks on a relatively small group of people, and makes them several thousand pounds a year worse off, not for any particular economic reason but purely for political posturing, is going to cut through. Not just with that particular group, who are obviously going to be mad about it, but also with other groups who think they might be next on the list.

This is 2024’s fox hunting.
    Agreed.

1. Only cvnts do it.

2. Most people detest those who do it, and this has been true for a century or more.

3. Those who do it assert reasons for why it's a good thing that they should be allowed to continue doing it which are utterly and wholly specious. (The fox likes a good run, it's all about keeping the fox population in check and protecting chickens, it's not classist and lots of nurses and bricklayers do it, everyone should be allowed to do whatever they like, it's not barbaric, what do those trendy lefty opposers know about it, etc.)

4. The ruling class don't like it up 'em.
    Did someone touch you inappropriately during your days as a College Man?

2024's fox hunting is actually fox hunting. We have all been virtuously pretend hunting since 2006 but the outrageous slur is doing the rounds that there's a 1% spoiling it for the rest of us who are pretending to pretend, and still hunting foxes. Labour are going to Clamp Down On This.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757

Roger said:

EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

nova said:

I don't understand how this is the 'big idea' and yet he wanted to debate Starmer 6 times.

Clearly Labour do have plans, and plenty of them are pretty detailed. Is he really going to sit and listen to Starmer talking about what Labour plan to do for an hour, and then sum up with "see, no plans!"?
    He simultaneously says Labour would take us back to square one and destroy the economy but also that they have no plans.
    Labour do have no plans that will actually fix things, neither to be fair do the tories or lib dems. Doesn't matter which gets in the economy will still get worse
    Pretty much what I am hearing on the doorstep. There is a real anti-politics mood out there.

Which I made the point about earlier....politicians are held in slim regard as is our legal system these days whether enforcement (the police) or dealing with it (the judiciary etc)
    There is real skepticism about Labour. Nobody I have spoken to thinks Labour can hold the line on not increasing taxes/NI whilst improving services.

Nobody.

I had a guy today saying he was moving away from Labour for this very reason. He thought Labour were taking the piss.

(I also had a life-long LibDem today say she couldn't support them now. People feel they are not getting truthful responses from politicians across the board, not just from the Tories. Hard to see turnout breaking any records.)

Is anyone knocking doors finding a love of politicians of any Party? I mean, really?
    In fairness, your findings are that Labour and Lib Dems are losing their voters, including lifelong voters. If this is the complete picture, then Tory 80+ majority markets are available.
    Hardly suggested that it was all. But you'd be forgiven for thinking reading pb.com that only the Tories are suffering from the anti-politics mood. There is a widespread feeling that far too many politicians of all parties are refusing to admit what needs to be said: that services aren't going to improve, because nobody will fund them. They are being taken for fools.
    Interesting piece on Ch4 News that Labour had 18 million Tiktok views to the Tories who had 6 million. Generally a good measure of where things are going. The Labour message is predictably CHANGE. It's smart but it's obvious. The point is that there is really nothing that the Tories can do to steal the initiative or Labour can do to blow it.
    I'm astonished the Tories had anything like 6 million views on TikTok.
    Was that the Rishi clip ?
    The responses I saw were along the lines of “is this for real ?”, and “at least he’s not a convicted criminal”.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    megasaur said:

Bloody hell, the BBC appears to be having a D-Day induced stroke; so far today the Archers, Countryfile, Antiques Roadshow, Vera Lynn on BBC4, and I’d stake my life there are others I’ve missed.

Anyway, let’s get back to sneering at Russia and their Great Patriotic War fetish.

Brilliant woman on R4 broadcasting house this morning. Item about how the youth don't know about D Day, in the course of which it becomes clear she thinks D Day and Dunkirk were the same thing. It's no doubt available to relisten to. About 50 minutes in.
    It's not like I think there isn't anything interesting to say about it, or the remaining participants aren't worth listening to, but the commentary is just so DIMWITTED!
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    Conjecture:

Shy Reform voters
    megasaur said:

Jamarion said:

Sandpit said:

It's from the Spectator, so a small health warning applies, but the private school policy is definitely cutting through in some of the more affluent constituencies, and not in a good way for Labour:

Any policy that picks on a relatively small group of people, and makes them several thousand pounds a year worse off, not for any particular economic reason but purely for political posturing, is going to cut through. Not just with that particular group, who are obviously going to be mad about it, but also with other groups who think they might be next on the list.

Agreed.

1. Only cvnts do it.

2. Most people detest those who do it, and this has been true for a century or more.

3. Those who do it assert reasons for why it's a good thing that they should be allowed to continue doing it which are utterly and wholly specious. (The fox likes a good run, it's all about keeping the fox population in check and protecting chickens, it's not classist and lots of nurses and bricklayers do it, everyone should be allowed to do whatever they like, it's not barbaric, what do those trendy lefty opposers know about it, etc.)

2024's fox hunting is actually fox hunting. We have all been virtuously pretend hunting since 2006 but the outrageous slur is doing the rounds that there's a 1% spoiling it for the rest of us who are pretending to pretend, and still hunting foxes. Labour are going to Clamp Down On This.
    Never been foxhunting myself nor wanted to, however grew up in the country.....fox hunting at least culled the population from the weakest....now foxes get poisoned and take days to die in agony or shot and likewise with no regard to whether they are the weakest or strongest fox
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,069
    Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

nova said:

Nobody.

You’re taking the under on turnout markets?

There’s a serious discussion on the scope of government that needs to be had, but no-one standing appears interested in being honest that the public finances are screwed, and areas such as health and defence are going to have to keep going up.
    And I really believe the public are coming round to the same view and are wanting some honesty, but then it doesn't win elections
    One of the reason's I believe representative democracy is on its last legs tbh. Our politicians aren't serious nor is our electorate both are at fault. Politicians because they say what they feel they need to in order to get elected. The electorate because they believe it.

If representative democracy wants to survive in my view politicians have to get together and all agree not to spout the lie that we can have all these services working great and not pay for it. I blame them more because they are meant to lead
    Great news! You're wrong.
    Well that was a lot of reasons from you...oh my mistake just an assertion with no backup
    Ok, the majority of people who can vote in this election, will vote. They see the point, even if you don't.

This should be good news to you, Chicken Little. The sky isn't falling in. Representative democracy is alive and well.
    Why would it be good news I want the death of representative democracy
    Oh, I see, what would you have instead?
    I posted a thread header a while back
    Ohhhh, I remember this now:
    https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/02/04/a-suggestion-on-political-reform/

Christ on a bike, I'd forgotten how stupid your ideas actually were. Dangerous and stupid.
    I believe they would fix a lot of our current problems, your views really don't cause me a moments doubt. As usual however you don't give any arguments why any of it is wrong. Just say no we aren't doing that. You have no arguments to give possibly
    In the splendour of the idea you are overlooking the process by which we get to the form of election and representation you prefer. There are two possibilities only: a revolution like 1789, or the the form of democracy we have at the moment legislating for it. This pre-plan is essential to any thinking about the plan unless we are discussing alternative utopias (or utopiae).
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,149

Does beg the question as to how and why though, doesn't it?

It's not as if pollsters are just making it up.
    Aren’t polls mainly online panels these days? Reform seems ideally placed as a primarily online phenomenon whereby it becomes a radicalisation feedback loop. That could be driving up response rates in online surveys but failing to translate into actual voting. The trick is working out if that’s the case what the state of opinion truly is.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

megasaur said:

Pagan2 said:

viewcode said:

Rupert Murdoch has just got married again.

Not so much a wedding, more a tontine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tontine
    The Tontine is one of my local pubs, on the east bank of the Severn, by the Iron Bridge. Ten mins walk from where I am sitting. I assume the Tontine was something to do with the bridge.
    Wasn't a tontine an agreement where the last man standing got the payout, common among soldiers in the 19th century where they all chipped in?
    Yes. But a bit older than that

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tontine
    I was guessing as to the date tbh first time I heard in mentioned was in relation to the 1800s
    Used to be a model for a business partnership. This is how this hotel began ...

https://www.tontinehotel.com/
    https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Tontines/
    I once had a meal at The Cleveland Tontine. Paid for by ICI.

Kevin Keegan was sitting at the next table.
  • AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,415

No-one seems to believe what the polls are saying, but there doesn't seem to be any consistent view on what exactly it is that they've got wrong.

Personally, I'm on Tories 50-99 seats - originally intended as a trading bet, but I don't see any reason to lay off just yet.
    algarkirk said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

nova said:

Nobody.

You’re taking the under on turnout markets?

There’s a serious discussion on the scope of government that needs to be had, but no-one standing appears interested in being honest that the public finances are screwed, and areas such as health and defence are going to have to keep going up.
    And I really believe the public are coming round to the same view and are wanting some honesty, but then it doesn't win elections
    One of the reason's I believe representative democracy is on its last legs tbh. Our politicians aren't serious nor is our electorate both are at fault. Politicians because they say what they feel they need to in order to get elected. The electorate because they believe it.

If representative democracy wants to survive in my view politicians have to get together and all agree not to spout the lie that we can have all these services working great and not pay for it. I blame them more because they are meant to lead
    Great news! You're wrong.
    Well that was a lot of reasons from you...oh my mistake just an assertion with no backup
    Ok, the majority of people who can vote in this election, will vote. They see the point, even if you don't.

This should be good news to you, Chicken Little. The sky isn't falling in. Representative democracy is alive and well.
    Why would it be good news I want the death of representative democracy
    Oh, I see, what would you have instead?
    I posted a thread header a while back
    Ohhhh, I remember this now:
    https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/02/04/a-suggestion-on-political-reform/

Christ on a bike, I'd forgotten how stupid your ideas actually were. Dangerous and stupid.
    I believe they would fix a lot of our current problems, your views really don't cause me a moments doubt. As usual however you don't give any arguments why any of it is wrong. Just say no we aren't doing that. You have no arguments to give possibly
    In the splendour of the idea you are overlooking the process by which we get to the form of election and representation you prefer. There are two possibilities only: a revolution like 1789, or the the form of democracy we have at the moment legislating for it. This pre-plan is essential to any thinking about the plan unless we are discussing alternative utopias (or utopiae).
    Yes how we get there is something that needs to be discussed, I don't think most of the idea's however didn't have a rationale when compared to Farooq's view of just keep on doing what we have done for the last 40 odd years which landed us in this situation in the first place. At least I proposed an alternative
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057
    megasaur said:

Jamarion said:

Sandpit said:

Agreed.

1. Only cvnts do it.

+++Goes fox hunting+++
    +++Knows about early literature+++
    +++Goes off about trans unprompted+++
    +++Says campaigned on gay rights in 70s+++

Hmmm

Welcome back 😀
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544
    edited June 2

Roger said:

EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

nova said:

Nobody.

Interesting piece on Ch4 News that Labour had 18 million Tiktok views to the Tories who had 6 million. Generally a good measure of where things are going. The Labour message is predictably CHANGE. It's smart but it's obvious. The point is that there is really nothing that the Tories can do to steal the initiative or Labour can do to blow it.
    Talking of which, this:

NEW: Labour’s plan explained

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1797300380058992648

Has had the inevitable, obvious riposte:

Thanks for the plug, Rishi 👍

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1797332094990831616

Torn on this one. On one hand, parties editing videos of their opponents to make them look stupid is a can of Pandora's boxes or something. On the other hand, Sunak's video wasn't entirely honest and led with the chin with a consequence that a five year old could have predicted.

Maybe CCHQ should sack the Australians and replace them with five year olds.

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    Was rather hot in London today. Didn't enjoy.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    viewcode said:

megasaur said:

Jamarion said:

Sandpit said:

Agreed.

1. Only cvnts do it.

+++Goes fox hunting+++
    +++Knows about early literature+++
    +++Goes off about trans unprompted+++
    +++Says campaigned on gay rights in 70s+++

Hmmm

Welcome back 😀
    +++What took you so long+++
  • AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,415

Roger said:

EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

nova said:

Nobody.

I'd be surprised if many of them were organic!

Assuming a CPM of around $10 for a broadly targetted campaign, you're talking about £50k spend to get that level of views
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448

Sandpit said:

Sadiq Khan wants to have bays to park the rental bikes in from Lime etc.

I am conflicted about this. I like the convenience but I can't doubt that people just dump them all over the place.

Are any of those companies actually profitable?
    About as profitable as all the food delivery app companies.
    I just can't get my heard around any of the food delivery app model.

Its highly inefficient to do single order deliveries from different locations to different locations. The app company takes 20-30% of each order, that is added on by the restaurant to standard menu price that they charge the customer. The customer then pays an additional £5+ of fees.

Because its super inefficient the drivers / riders spend ages pissing about waiting for an order, taking an order etc, and the hourly is not actually that good. And after all of that, the delivery company after taking 30% from one side and £5+ from the other, still can't make money, as they have to spend crazy amounts on advertising as barrier to entry is so low.

Why people use food delivery apps regularly, its so expensive (especially as takeaways have already gone through the roof because of inflation). Why people do the delivery when your income is all over the place. And how do these companies ever become profitable?
    I see absolutely no reason why these companies can't be very profitable. Food delivery can be extremely profitable, see Domino's Pizza for instance. Domino's UK is extremely profitable and has a market cap of over a billion pounds, backed by consistent profits and dividends.

People are prepared to pay for convenience.

The key to profitability is simply running your business well.
  • JamarionJamarion Posts: 49
    edited June 2
    megasaur said:

Jamarion said:

Sandpit said:

Agreed.

1. Only cvnts do it.

Yes they did. Perhaps they did it to you too but you don't remember? Best days of your life? But I guess you had your own rooms at Toye's (?) after a while. We didn't. There's nothing like real aware experience and intellect mutually reinforcing. It's not the same as being stunted and liking it, and then not being "there" emotionally for the rest of one's life. "Six of the best every day never did me any harm". Books have been written about the damage done. Not by lefties. One of the most recent was by Charles Spencer.

Foxhunting has been off the radar screen for the left for ~20 years. The general view is that yes, they probably still do it for real and pretend otherwise, but it's seen as something behind a screen or above a cloud and it's not like the 1980s when lots of young people used to enjoy a Saturday going out sabbing or had friends who did, and knew what a hunt looked like from personal experience. Few nowadays ever encounter the ruling class as a pack, for real. This is what Class War were trying to raise awareness of through their jaunts to Henley. Dunno whether you remember them.
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    edited June 2
    ´tt
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358

Talking of which, this:

NEW: Labour’s plan explained

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1797300380058992648

Has had the inevitable, obvious riposte:

Thanks for the plug, Rishi 👍

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1797332094990831616

Torn on this one. On one hand, parties editing videos of their opponents to make them look stupid is a can of Pandora's boxes or something. On the other hand, Sunak's video wasn't entirely honest and led with the chin with a consequence that a five year old could have predicted.

Maybe CCHQ should sack the Australians and replace them with five year olds.

Richi's media team hate him. There is no other explanation
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    Sandpit said:

I really can't see that at all. People know 1 in 14 go to private schools and therefore a privileged few.

That they are going to be taxed for the privilege will appeal to at least as many as will be offended by it.

They aren't saying you cant go just that you can pay a little extra if you choose to.

There are many examples of taxing things people choose to do which have no societal benefits like smoking drinking and driving fuel guzzling cars.

This is just another
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650

Conjecture:

Shy Reform voters

Shy isn't an adjective I'd use to describe Reform voters.
    Sure! but we know that some voters don't want to confess to voting for a particular party. Polls say one thing, canvassers say another thing...
    ping said:

@Leon You're a man of the world...

(Open to all the PBer's, too)

What is the best poor persons food - in the world?

I'm torn between:

Mu Xu Pork (Chinese Pork, Scrambled Eggs & Mushrooms)

and ---

Borscht (Russian/Ukrainian/East European Beetroot soup + various additions including sour cream and lard (sometimes???!))

There must be other contenders?!!!

Plov? (in a similar vein to borscht) Obviously. But what else?

Haggis!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    a

Bloody hell, the BBC appears to be having a D-Day induced stroke; so far today the Archers, Countryfile, Antiques Roadshow, Vera Lynn on BBC4, and I’d stake my life there are others I’ve missed.

Anyway, let’s get back to sneering at Russia and their Great Patriotic War fetish.

I don’t recall any sneering on here or many places about Russia’s thing with WWII.

Rebuttal of some the childish lies - such as denial of the Pact with the Nazis, yes.

I’d turn that 44” searchlight off. To start with, they were on the secret list. And that amount of projection is excessive
  • TresTres Posts: 2,648
    FF43 said:

nova said:

Interesting article on Sue Gray, who it seems will be running the country after July 4. Including this titbit suggesting Labour has plenty of plans, even if they're not revealing the details yet:

Work has started on about 20 bills, some in significantly more detail than others. Access talks with civil servants are in their second round.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2024/jun/02/labour-party-chief-of-staff-sue-gray

Weird that it doesn't mention that her son is running as a Labour PPC.
    edited June 2

ping said:

I'm torn between:

and ---

Borscht (Russian/Ukrainian/East European Beetroot soup + various additions including sour cream and lard (sometimes???!))

Haggis!
    I bought that months ago, the fancy Sainsbury's version.

My god, nutritionally it's brilliant. With Neepz n' Tatties it's a complete meal!

After us Southerners have nicked the fillets off of the carcass, we leave you highlanders with the best bits!
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    Evening all. Can anyone enlighten me about the We Are poll?

Who are We Are? The sister of We Think?

Another dire poll for the tories.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,349

I've found two reform voters in Barnes.

a

I don’t recall any sneering on here or many places about Russia’s thing with WWII.

Rebuttal of some the childish lies - such as denial of the Pact with the Nazis, yes.

I’d turn that 44” searchlight off. To start with, they were on the secret list. And that amount of projection is excessive
    That's largely incomprehensible to me, but do carry on.

Roger said:

EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

nova said:

Nobody.

Or....Tories generally think TikTok is wank?
    They may indeed but that’s not exactly smart.

They’re hopelessly out of touch with everyone and everything.
  • ChrisHodgesChrisHodges Posts: 8
    Big crowd in London yesterday for the Tommy Robinson rally. Another one on 27 July. Laurence Fox was of course there. If the tories are wiped out we will likely see a lot more of this.

This is what Fox had to say.

Yesterday was a huge success. Such a wonderful crowd full of hope and optimism. Let’s make this movement grow.

Together we can make it impossible for the government to ignore us.

We are the many. It’s an honour to be part of it with you.

https://x.com/LozzaFox/status/1797191693701177786
    Went to watch Lancs v Derbys in the 2020 today at Old Trafford. After the game, a thinner, more hardcore audience stayed behind to watch Lamcashire's ladies team play 'The Blaze', i.e. East Midlands women's cricket team.
    There was a couple in front of us with a home-made cardboard sign which they waved with the slightly puzzling sign:
    "We Love Our
    Analyst"

I presumed "analyst" was a nickname of one of the players. But then I noticed that it was being held folded in half, so that such from behind I could only see:
    "Our
    yst".

Not entirely sure if both of the couple were in on this.

Slightly disconcertingly, it was my 73 year old mother who pointed this out to me.

Anyway, political betting: I think Lib Dems at 2.5 in Sheffield Hallam look value. Any thoughts (@TSE?).

Carnyx said:

Pagan2 said:

megasaur said:

Pagan2 said:

viewcode said:

Rupert Murdoch has just got married again.

Not so much a wedding, more a tontine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tontine
    The Tontine is one of my local pubs, on the east bank of the Severn, by the Iron Bridge. Ten mins walk from where I am sitting. I assume the Tontine was something to do with the bridge.
    Wasn't a tontine an agreement where the last man standing got the payout, common among soldiers in the 19th century where they all chipped in?
    Yes. But a bit older than that

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tontine
    I was guessing as to the date tbh first time I heard in mentioned was in relation to the 1800s
    Used to be a model for a business partnership. This is how this hotel began ...

https://www.tontinehotel.com/
    https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureUK/Tontines/
    I once had a meal at The Cleveland Tontine. Paid for by ICI.

Kevin Keegan was sitting at the next table.
    If that wasn't an episode of "Life on Mars" there is no justice.
    On this counter culture trend its notable how support for gay marriage is now plummeting too.

Seems like it should be a bigger story that support for gay marriage is dropping fast.

Among Republicans, it dropped by 15 points in one year.

Among Gen Z, it dropped 11 points in two years.

For years, support for gay marriage has only trended up. Now, that trend is reversing.
    America 2100
    @America_2100
    ·
    May 31

https://x.com/njhochman/status/1796640343279993339
    ping said:

ping said:

I'm torn between:

and ---

Haggis!
    I bought that months ago, the fancy Sainsbury's version.

My god, nutritionally it's brilliant. With Neepz n' Tatties it's a complete meal!

After us Southerners have nicked the fillets off of the carcass, we leave you highlanders with the best bits!
    You will never tak our sheeps' stomachs!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    megasaur said:

Brilliant woman on R4 broadcasting house this morning. Item about how the youth don't know about D Day, in the course of which it becomes clear she thinks D Day and Dunkirk were the same thing. It's no doubt available to relisten to. About 50 minutes in.
    D-Day and Dunkirk are the same thing. It's just that you need to show one film or the other in reverse to see the similarity.
  • gettingbettergettingbetter Posts: 531
    I am very worried whether the VAT will apply to special needs schools. We have a special needs child who was very badly affected by the lockdown restrictions and became mainly non verbal. At present at a state special needs school with an EHCP. At present unfortunately the best place to be and they are very good, but really shouldn't need to be there.
    But if all goes well there is a chance of going to a private special needs school. I would be happy to pay the fees of tgst
    Read this.
    The tide is turning.

You mean to tell us that a group of people who shove their sexuality and gender identity down everyone’s throats 24/7 and sexualize, indoctrinate and mutilate children are turning people against them?!

Shocking! Who on earth could have ever seen this coming?

Oh that’s right, we did. And we’ve been shouting from the rooftops for two years that the backlash is coming. The radical alphabet mafia who target children are going irreparable harm to us and our good standing in society. They’ve erased all the true progress it took decades for gays and lesbians to achieve in the blink of an eye.

Now we are here as the cleanup crew. JUST LEAVE THE KIDS ALONE.

https://x.com/againstgrmrs/status/1797075218319528127

I am very worried whether the VAT will apply to special needs schools. We have a special needs child who was very badly affected by the lockdown restrictions and became mainly non verbal. At present at a state special needs school with an EHCP. At present unfortunately the best place to be and they are very good, but really shouldn't need to be there.
    But if all goes well there is a chance of going to a private special needs school. I would be happy to pay the fees of tgst

that school but not the VAT
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    Best poor people's food in the world?

My nomination is, classic New Orleans & South Louisiana red beans and rice.

Hard to get more basic re: ingredients AND at the same time be extremely delicious and satisfying IF cooked properly with proper seasoning.

Had a plate of BLACK beans and rice in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico that was VERY similar; not surprising given close cultural connection between LA and PR pre-1803.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

Big crowd in London yesterday for the Tommy Robinson rally. Another one on 27 July. Laurence Fox was of course there. If the tories are wiped out we will likely see a lot more of this.

Yesterday was a huge success. Such a wonderful crowd full of hope and optimism. Let’s make this movement grow.

Was that before he was in an accident with his car that doesn't seem to have a valid MOT?
    edited June 2

On this counter culture trend its notable how support for gay marriage is now plummeting too.

Seems like it should be a bigger story that support for gay marriage is dropping fast.

For years, support for gay marriage has only trended up. Now, that trend is reversing.
    America 2100
    @America_2100
    ·
    May 31

Can you link to some actual polls, please?
    Farooq said:

America 2100
    @America_2100
    ·
    May 31

Pace yourself now. Don't stat saying "clot shot" til day 2.
    Conversations in my local yesterday.
    Much desire for a strong leader like Putin.
    Disgust evidenced with democracy.
    This is pretty nationwide now.

that school but not the VAT
    Or I am I an elitist barstard for wanting to do the best to help the wrongs society has done to my child?
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279

ping said:

I'm torn between:

and ---

Haggis!
    Aglio e olio, if nutritional completeness is not required. Bowl of (real not instant) Ramen soup with sliced pork and hard boiled egg if it is.

Bonus mention: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastizz (I think they're up to €0.50 each now. One of each and coffee for breakfast is plenty).
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

America 2100
    @America_2100
    ·
    May 31

I was about to say “oh you’re one of them” but I see someone got there before me.

Still, you’ll find a bit of mild pro-Russian sentiment on here if you manage to stay long enough.

It won't if they have Statement it seems.

I expect demand for these to rise considerably, swamping the system even more.
    With regards to the vaccine the explosion of dementia cases is very worrying. Its something many have noticed.
    Cookie said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

ELECTORAL REFORM.
    Feck.

It can't be...

Surely not...

Please no...

Well I for one hope it's STV rather than AV. Which is right up the namby pamby end of the electoral reform spectrum.
    STV. No thanks. A bugger's muddle of an electoral system.

"Were you up for xyz?" would require three nights without sleep.
  • MuesliMuesli Posts: 202

You’re a day late and a dollar rouble short for your weekend trolling duties, comrade.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

He and Carol Vorderman both went off the deep end.

The funny thing is that she started off well to his Right and he well to her Left.

Just shows what social media can do.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

Farooq said:

America 2100
    @America_2100
    ·
    May 31

I agree. In my local there’s a clear desire for a strong leader like Ed Davey, or better still @libdemdaisy.
    edited June 2

Jonathan said:

Is a Tory activist well placed to detect enthusiasm for Labour or vice versa?

As you can see from my previous post this is Sky's observation

https://news.sky.com/story/tories-could-tumble-like-gloucestershires-cheese-chasers-but-there-is-no-mad-enthusiasm-for-labour-13145966
    But we heard the same in 1997 about Blair.
    Quite and we hear it most elections.

The MSM hate the fact that this election was decided during the Liz Truss catastrophe. It makes them feel impotent.

As a nation, and world, we’ve been through a pretty torrid few years. No one is exactly elated right now. And no one is expecting miracles from Labour. Just hoping for the competence to govern which has been so sorely lacking.
    edited June 2

Hard to get more basic re: ingredients AND at the same time be extremely delicious and satisfying IF cooked properly with proper seasoning.

Had a plate of BLACK beans and rice in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico that was VERY similar; not surprising given close cultural connection between LA and PR pre-1803.

I thought this would come up.

I've tried beans and rice in poor places in the southern US and also southeastern Cuba (and also multiple times in the famine belt in Africa) and every time ive a)been offered it and b) eaten it) it has been really bloody disappointing.

It's really shit poor persons food.

Read this.
    The tide is turning.

You mean to tell us that a group of people who shove their sexuality and gender identity down everyone’s throats 24/7 and sexualize, indoctrinate and mutilate children are turning people against them?!

Shocking! Who on earth could have ever seen this coming?

Oh that’s right, we did. And we’ve been shouting from the rooftops for two years that the backlash is coming. The radical alphabet mafia who target children are going irreparable harm to us and our good standing in society. They’ve erased all the true progress it took decades for gays and lesbians to achieve in the blink of an eye.

Now we are here as the cleanup crew. JUST LEAVE THE KIDS ALONE.

https://x.com/againstgrmrs/status/1797075218319528127

Not exactly Pink Floyd, is it?
    edited June 2

With regards to the vaccine the explosion of dementia cases is very worrying. Its something many have noticed.

Yes, thanks to the vaccine old folk survived long enough...
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    Swing low, sweet ban hammer...
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196

Labour have said they will exempt fees for pupils with an education, health and care plan (EHCP) from the VAT rule.
    Roger said:

Sandpit said:

I really can't see that at all. People know 1 in 14 go to private schools and therefore a privileged few.

That they are going to be taxed for the privilege will appeal to at least as many as will be offended by it.

They aren't saying you cant go just that you can pay a little extra if you choose to.

There are many examples of taxing things people choose to do which have no societal benefits like smoking drinking and driving fuel guzzling cars.

This is just another
    Roger: remember your experience of private school was not typical. I know a lot of people who went to, or sent their kids to private school, but none who went to, or sent their kids to boarding school.
    This is the unacceptable face of the british class system.

32 days to go. Do you live in North East Somerset? Do you know someone who lives in North East Somerset? Do you know someone who knows someone who lives in North East Somerset? Share this film with them
    https://x.com/ByDonkeys/status/1797146293380211032
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605

Farooq said:

America 2100
    @America_2100
    ·
    May 31

With a strong leader like Putin, we wouldn't be pussyfooting around about arming Ukraine. We'd be in Moscow by now.
    Foxy said:

megasaur said:

D-Day and Dunkirk are the same thing. It's just that you need to show one film or the other in reverse to see the similarity.
    So WW2 was basically Tenet? 😀
    Foxy said:

Dr David Cartland seems to think your colleagues have been complicit in murder. Are you corrupt foxy.

Farooq said:

America 2100
    @America_2100
    ·
    May 31

I have no doubt that is a popular opinion is St Petersberg hostelieries. At least in earshot of others...
    edited June 2
    Ooh, ethiopia deserves a mention, Shirley?

Tef (& the weird spicy mixture they serve it with)

Shirley the most random (and tasty!) poor persons food in the world?!! But we're talking Very poor persons food, ie <10 US cents per serving. Almost doesn't count...

Foxy said:

Dr David Cartland seems to think your colleagues have been complicit in murder. Are you corrupt foxy.
    I will only answer once my fees are paid.
  • JamarionJamarion Posts: 49
    edited June 2
    Some background on the leadup to the foxhunting ban for the benefit of young people reading this...

Organised foxhunting created a political movement called the Countryside Alliance which at one demo (that went along Whitehall) managed to put 400,000 supporters on the streets. That's an impressive figure and it's almost certainly accurate. They had some kind of gadget that they put across the street to count the numbers. Plus of course being rightwing they had the goodwill of the police, so it was never going to be a case of organisers claiming the attendance was X and the police claiming it was only about a quarter or a fifth of X which was par for the course on leftwing demos.

As ban time approached, there was much talk in Tory circles of continuing to hunt foxes in defiance of the law, "looking forward to playing bridge in Brixton prison", etc., but then...guess what happened....

Insurers made it clear they couldn't insure people taking part in unlawful actions :-)

There was even an "invasion" of the House of Commons (the actual floor, not the gallery), which you can get away with without being tasered or shot if you're white, play polo, and are friends with a kid or two in the royal family.

Farooq said:

America 2100
    @America_2100
    ·
    May 31

With a strong leader like Putin, we wouldn't be pussyfooting around about arming Ukraine. We'd be in Moscow by now.
    Lol the idea of lgbt youth marching on Moscow with purple haired trannies.

Read this.
    The tide is turning.

[etc. etc. etc. ]

Добрый вечер, товарищ
    Foxy said:

Farooq said:

America 2100
    @America_2100
    ·
    May 31

I have no doubt that is a popular opinion is St Petersberg hostelieries. At least in earshot of others...
    You think he means leaders like this?

• carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279

Foxy said:

Farooq said:

America 2100
    @America_2100
    ·
    May 31

You think he means leaders like this?

Worse bitch-tits than me, and I'm 15 stone.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    edited June 2
    It's not obvious why hatred towards gays, belief that vaccines are a conspiracy and endorsement of a Russian dictator who rapes and pillages neighbouring countries for no reason should go together as a threesome. But it seems they do.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,648

HOUSE
    ping said:

I thought this would come up.

I've tried beans and rice in poor places in the southern US and also southeastern Cuba (and also multiple times in the famine belt in Africa) and every time ive a)been offered it and b) eaten it) it has been really bloody disappointing.

It's really shit poor persons food.
    The version that they do in Costa Rica for breakfast is lovely. Yesterday's rice and black beans fried with onion.

My favourite peasant food is Roti Chennai as served at Malaysian trucks tops to Tamil lorry drivers. I ate it everyday when I was there and never tire of it.

ping said:

I'm torn between:

and ---

Haggis!
    Parmo!
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533
    Muesli said:

You’re a day late and a dollar rouble short for your weekend trolling duties, comrade.
    The Spectator pay in roubles now? Sad times. Or is it Vox now? I've lost track.
    Scott_xP said:

Swing low, sweet ban hammer...

Why is it always gays and vaccines?

Foxy said:

A plane crashes on the Ukrainian/Republic of China border. Which side do you bury the survivors?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627

Roger said:

EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

nova said:

Nobody.

Have you forgot the Milifandom from 2015?
    Or the Corbyn terrorism video from 2017?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003

32 days to go. Do you live in North East Somerset? Do you know someone who lives in North East Somerset? Do you know someone who knows someone who lives in North East Somerset? Share this film with them

One thing that helps Jacob is he can squeeze the Reform vote more than other Tory candidates will be able to
    edited June 2

He is, but don't worry, with luck he won't be around much longer.

Edit - it's slightly annoying the bugger was banned just before I posted that.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544

Cookie said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

ELECTORAL REFORM.
    Feck.

It can't be...

Surely not...

Please no...

You say that like it's a bad thing.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446

Labour claims that the VAT on school fees, and ending business rate relief, will raise £1.7bn.

You could raise slightly more money, £1.9bn, by increasing the NICs upper rate from 2% to 3%, according to the IFS "Be The Chancellor" tool. https://ifs.org.uk/election-2024/be-chancellor

And it would have the advantage of not identifying a particular minority and given them cause to claim victimhood.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533

Chips.

Labour have said they will exempt fees for pupils with an education, health and care plan (EHCP) from the VAT rule.
    Well that sounds good thanks. But does the plan have to say that the child needs to attend a private school? Because if so the council won't say that else some parents would try to get the state to pay for it.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757

Farooq said:

America 2100
    @America_2100
    ·
    May 31

Yes, every country has its share of utter twats.
    The U.K. (assuming for a moment you’re not a bot) is no exception.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    Heathener said:

Not very good these Ruskies are they?

No wonder they’ve been made to look so stupid in Ukraine.

The trolls aren't actually Russian. They recruit people in Africa or South Asia.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    ping said:

America 2100
    @America_2100
    ·
    May 31

Can you link to some actual polls, please?
    The actual poll still has 69% in favour amongst Gen Z

Well that sounds good thanks. But does the plan have to say that the child needs to attend a private school? Because if so the council won't say that else some parents would try to get the state to pay for it.
    Councils are trying to do that (illegally) anyway, partly due to cost and partly due to optics.

Advice - make sure you have opened communications with a good disabilities lawyer. A threatening letter drawing the council's attention to their legal obligations and mentioning the costs involved in going to a tribunal they will lose normally works wonders.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446

Cookie said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

ELECTORAL REFORM.
    Feck.

It can't be...

Surely not...

Please no...

In Ireland it takes ages to count the official results, but the tallymen from the parties seem to have a very good idea of the result even before the first preference votes are announced.

Heathener said:

Not very good these Ruskies are they?

No wonder they’ve been made to look so stupid in Ukraine.

The trolls aren't actually Russian. They recruit people in Africa or South Asia.
    And send them to the front line like lambs to the slaughter.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

Foxy said:

A plane crashes on the Ukrainian/Republic of China border. Which side do you bury the survivors?
    Far too slow…
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

Beans on toast.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,042

Foxy said:

Is that same Dr David Cartland who said that the Covid vaccine made people magnetic?
    Tres said:

HOUSE
    No. House was a terrible doctor. Basically experimented on patients for LOLs.

Mind you I knew a consultant who told me that she actually found herself asking the team “if it could be Lupus?”. Then stopped watching House as a result.
This discussion has been closed.