Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Swinney slump doesn’t look like stopping – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544
    Carnyx said:

Talking about Fife and trains, Mr Swinney has just been on the inaugural train from Waverley to Leven and Cameron Bridge - reversing a Beeching cut (but I believe with a spot of new building, so not on exactly the same line all the way?).

*specially for @Sunil_Prasannan *

Such a shame that line was shut. Can you imagine how much traffic you'd get on the line through the East Neuk to St Andrews now, especially in the summer?
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127
    @TheScreamingEagles Can we lift the photo limit just for @Leon so he has something to do all day?
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,060
    Leon said:

Jesus tittyfucking Christ on a crouton what am I going to do in Moldova for EIGHT DAYS

Report on the news from Transnistria. The FCDO advises against all travel there and you could be an up to date John Boot in Scoop

The Speccie would be worth reading that week.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,596

Selebian said:

DM_Andy said:

Cookie said:

Ghedebrav said:

DM_Andy said:

Taz said:

Ghedebrav said:

A 27 point lead after the election was called?

That is extinction levels right there.

Ah but wait for the manifestos - a little skirt for every table leg, jail time for elbows on tables, death penalty for vegans, mandatory Union Jack blankets for conceiving British Babies etc etc
    Jail time for people who play their music on public transport without headphones, or people who chew their food with their mouths open.

A votewinner for me.
    People that say "haitch" instead of aitch, or skedule instead of schedule. Absolute vote winners.
    Fil um instead of film. Morons
    And people who say 'passed' instead of died
    My nan was a spiritualist so always said 'passed' and I've taken that on from her along with calling Shrewsbury 'Shroosbry'.
    Is that not the right way to say it? I’d learnt that ‘Shrowsbury’ was a bit of an affectation and not actually how locals say it.

Btw my great-nan was a spiritualist and was a noted seance leader and whatnot, travelling up and down the country. My understanding is that she genuinely believed in it all, though tbh who knows - some recent family history undertaken by my great-uncle has uncovered that there’s a strong fantasist streak in my lineage (I prefer to think I’ve inherited my dad’s side’s downrightness).
    Similarly, Southwell in Nottinghamshire. Which is pronounced Suth'll by people from Nottinghamshire. Apart from by people from Southwell, who almost overenunciate South-well.
    Place names are a complete minefield, like with Wymondham, Norfolk being Wind'em and Wymondham, Leicestershire being Why-mond-ham (hattip to Andrew at Britain Elects for that factoid)
    Cherwell - Char-well. Locals say Cherwell, snobs say Charwell.
    Even OKC's* Witham causes confusion, outsiders often call it With-am rather than Wit-am

*Well, he's somewhere near - Priti Patel is his MP, I believe
    Yes, not far away. In a small town whose name is pronounced by genuine locals with some letters missed out.
    I’m surprised nobody has (yet) referenced the small Norfolk town of Happisburgh. Pronounced Hazboro.
    So not as I'd pronounce it, with-hum
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,215
    Chisinau might be the
    DM_Andy said:

@TheScreamingEagles Can we lift the photo limit just for @Leon so he has something to do all day?

There’s nothing to photograph

I know this because a pro photographer friend of mine came here last year en route to Ukraine. He’s just reminded me of the WhatsApp message he sent me as he crossed the border from Romania

‘Less than a minute after crossing into Moldova, I witnessed three horses and carts and a goat on a lead. Every road junction had an effigy of Jesus and we immediately got stuck behind a tractor. The driver matched the deterioration of the roads by overtaking one-handed. A man threw stones at a chicken. Vodafone informed me I was in a Zone D worldwide destination. It felt like Z.’
    kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

On the issue of this being an epoch defining election, whilst the number of people standing down I am sure is higher than would have been the case had the Tories looked like winning, given the average time in parliament of those standing down in 2019 was around 18.5 years it is also the case that a large number of those standing down it is just a natural time for them to do so.

Of the 131 currently known to be standing down the average length of service is 17.1 years, so a bit less.

However, that hides that the average length of service for Labour MPs standing down is 21.9 years (thanks to some real veterans like Sheerman, Harman, and Hodge) and 16.2 years for the Tories. There are also only 30 Labour MPs versus over 70 Tories.

Those party averages do not include those currently without the whip.

The overall number being low is probably due to a large 2010 intake standing down, as well as a number of first termerss from the Red Wall and SNP MPs who were mostly elected in 2015.

Maybe we need more MPs who can sit it out through opposition as well as government, but with such long periods of both now it is hard.

(Clearly different people updated their wikipedia pages, as some state they were the MP from X-2024, others stating they will be standing down in 2024 - they are technically MPs until tomorrow)

A figure to speculate on is how many of the 2024 intake, totalling 650, will be returners. If the result is at the far end of the possibilities, there will be about 160 Labour, and possibly only 60/70 or so Tories, maybe 60 for PC/SNP/LDs. Leaving perhaps over 350 newbies.
    In 1997 there were 249 not standing or defeated, and 225 in 2010 (I guess in 1997 more Tories put up a fight as far more were defeated there than in 2010). We're up to 131 definitely not coming back, and assume for sake of argument somehwere between the 76-132 defeats seen in 1997/2010, and that gets you to 200 or so newbies.

With the SNP possibly facing a couple dozen losses, a whole new tranche of Labour MPs not super high on retreads, and loads of Tories losing, it could well be a record number in the modern era?
    You could be right, Suspect that 1997 might be higher than expected because of the 'chicken run' and 1945 would be very high with a 10 year gap since the previous election as well as the Labour landslide from a very low base in 1935. Will have to run the numbers some time.

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,995
    Taz said:

Are we expecting a verdict in the case of the Trumpdozer today ?

Ask the jury!
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Taz said:

Although the polls look terrible, Rishi has five weeks and seems to be doing his own version of Major’s soapbox.

Starmer has said nothing of note or interest so far.
    Rachel Reeves has been more active.

All to play for.

Isn't the Tories problem that Sunak keeps standing up and making mad announcement after mad announcement?
    I’m not convinced by this received wisdom.
    The announcements may be cynical, I’m not sure they are “mad”. And he’s making all the running.
    And the polls haven't shifted.
    I wouldn’t expect them to do so until the end of this week.

Let’s be clear, the snap election announcement was an unholy disaster.

But since then, I think the Tories are doing better than the Twitter / bien pensant / PB consensus.
    Corbyn was on course for a landslide according to a good portion of twitter in 2019.
    Had Prime Minister Miliband not been negotiating independence with First Minister (soon to be Prime Minister) Salmond….
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    Taz said:

Selebian said:

DM_Andy said:

Cookie said:

Ghedebrav said:

DM_Andy said:

Taz said:

Ghedebrav said:

Ah but wait for the manifestos - a little skirt for every table leg, jail time for elbows on tables, death penalty for vegans, mandatory Union Jack blankets for conceiving British Babies etc etc
    Jail time for people who play their music on public transport without headphones, or people who chew their food with their mouths open.

A votewinner for me.
    People that say "haitch" instead of aitch, or skedule instead of schedule. Absolute vote winners.
    My nan was a spiritualist so always said 'passed' and I've taken that on from her along with calling Shrewsbury 'Shroosbry'.
    Is that not the right way to say it? I’d learnt that ‘Shrowsbury’ was a bit of an affectation and not actually how locals say it.

Btw my great-nan was a spiritualist and was a noted seance leader and whatnot, travelling up and down the country. My understanding is that she genuinely believed in it all, though tbh who knows - some recent family history undertaken by my great-uncle has uncovered that there’s a strong fantasist streak in my lineage (I prefer to think I’ve inherited my dad’s side’s downrightness).
    Similarly, Southwell in Nottinghamshire. Which is pronounced Suth'll by people from Nottinghamshire. Apart from by people from Southwell, who almost overenunciate South-well.
    Place names are a complete minefield, like with Wymondham, Norfolk being Wind'em and Wymondham, Leicestershire being Why-mond-ham (hattip to Andrew at Britain Elects for that factoid)
    Even OKC's* Witham causes confusion, outsiders often call it With-am rather than Wit-am

Yes, not far away. In a small town whose name is pronounced by genuine locals with some letters missed out.
    I’m surprised nobody has (yet) referenced the small Norfolk town of Happisburgh. Pronounced Hazboro.
    No, Wit-am. Or even Wit’m.
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Jesus tittyfucking Christ on a crouton what am I going to do in Moldova for EIGHT DAYS

Report on the news from Transnistria. The FCDO advises against all travel there and you could be an up to date John Boot in Scoop

I believe transnistria is on my itinerary. Genuinely looking forward to THAT day
  • megasaurmegasaur Posts: 586
    Leon said:

Wineries and soviet architecture. The Victory Memorial and Eternal Flame will surely repay several visits
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    Wes Streeting having a mare today. Tetchy, evasive, getting ratty with people.
    Were you up for Wes?? (Unfortunately probably retaining his seat and being one of parliaments nastiest villains)
    Scott_xP said:

@OprosUK

Westminster Voting Intention (Scotland):

LAB: 36% (+3)
    SNP: 32% (-6)
    CON: 17% (+2)
    LDM: 9% (+1)

via
    @Survation
    , 23-27 May

(Changes with 20 Feb)

It's been one week now since the PM confirmed a July election. Where do things stand in Scotland according to BBS-tracked polls? (vs 2019)

Labour ~ 36.2% (+17.6)
    SNP ~ 30.6% (-14.4)
    Conservative ~ 15.8% (-9.3)
    Lib Dem ~ 8.4% (-1.1)
    Green ~ 2.8% (+1.8)
    Reform UK ~ 2.8% (+2.3)

https://x.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1795790535698845924
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,503
    Scott_xP said:

@OprosUK

Westminster Voting Intention (Scotland):

LAB: 36% (+3)
    SNP: 32% (-6)
    CON: 17% (+2)
    LDM: 9% (+1)

via
    @Survation
    , 23-27 May

(Changes with 20 Feb)

Have you not read the thread header?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,601

Were you up for Wes?? (Unfortunately probably retaining his seat and being one of parliaments nastiest villains)

Is there still an Islamo-leftist campaign to unseat him?
    megasaur said:

Leon said:

Wineries and soviet architecture. The Victory Memorial and Eternal Flame will surely repay several visits
    lol. Also it’s raining.

On my luxury flight here the guidebook told me that the population of Moldova used to be 3.5m about 10 years ago “but half the population have now left”

Can that possibly be true?? That’s my opening paragraph if it is true. Genius fact

“Come to Moldova, a country so great half the Moldovans have buggered off”
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

I believe transnistria is on my itinerary. Genuinely looking forward to THAT day
    Keep safe. And report back.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

I employed a plasterer from Transnistria once.
    He did a mediocre job and made sexually suggestive remarks to my wife.

Watched him this morning. I don’t really take to him.
    Extremely beautiful hooker in lobby
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,957
    Leon said:

You can do wine disgusting.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Starmer needs to take the “loss” and let Abbott stand (even if she then goes on to retire not long after the election).

Sir FlipFlop?

Starmer has had a shocking day. I am listening to LBC on a work trip to Crediton and back. There has been a lot of critical scrutiny of Starmer, Reeves, Streeting and Labour and absolutely no scrutiny on Sunak's Mickey Mouse degrees bollocks. Oh and an entire morning on Abbott.

If this goes on for five and a half weeks Labour will be lucky to have 100 MPs.

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

I cannot stand people who make innuendos like that.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Leon said:

You could post some photos on PB. Oh wait you can't.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,603

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Do you make it hard for them?
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    Leon said:

Chisinau might be the

DM_Andy said:

There’s nothing to photograph

I know this because a pro photographer friend of mine came here last year en route to Ukraine. He’s just reminded me of the WhatsApp message he sent me as he crossed the border from Romania

‘Less than a minute after crossing into Moldova, I witnessed three horses and carts and a goat on a lead. Every road junction had an effigy of Jesus and we immediately got stuck behind a tractor. The driver matched the deterioration of the roads by overtaking one-handed. A man threw stones at a chicken. Vodafone informed me I was in a Zone D worldwide destination. It felt like Z.’
    Sounds like the Somerset Levels, right down to the road surfaces and the risk of overtaking. Last time but one I was there, we had to stop because it was someone with a herd of cattle rather than a goat, and the lady with the cattle sat on our car bonnet and had a long chat with my friend who is also local and looks like something from Cheddar Caves (quite literally in view of the recent DNA studies).
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,190
    CatMan said:

Election today in South Africa. ANC to lose their majority?

I note the ANC has long successfully won majorities under PR, disproving the claim that this never happens.

One former ANC MP is standing in our election, in the constituency next door to me.
    Leon said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

lol. Also it’s raining.

On my luxury flight here the guidebook told me that the population of Moldova used to be 3.5m about 10 years ago “but half the population have now left”

Can that possibly be true?? That’s my opening paragraph if it is true. Genius fact

Nothing to do. No work. I was in Transylvania last year, the bit King Charles likes. It's like the Shire in LOTR but the only way to make a living is work in a factory 200 miles away and come home for weekends.

I think he did ok in LBC - given the very sticky wicket Starmer’s office has landed him in:

https://x.com/LBC/status/1795769554498458023
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Leon said:

Repent?

Starmer needs to take the “loss” and let Abbott stand (even if she then goes on to retire not long after the election).

Sir FlipFlop?

Starmer has had a shocking day. I am listening to LBC on a work trip to Crediton and back. There has been a lot of critical scrutiny of Starmer, Reeves, Streeting and Labour and absolutely no scrutiny on Sunak's Mickey Mouse degrees bollocks. Oh and an entire morning on Abbott.

I wonder about those ‘mickey-mouse’ degrees. Anyone know what is meant? Or have examples?
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,963

Sir FlipFlop?

I wonder about those ‘mickey-mouse’ degrees. Anyone know what is meant? Or have examples?
    I expect they want the electorate to imagine which ones will go, rather than be specific.

First election leaflet just arrived. Labour. Looks as though they’re trying, too.

My wife refuses to vote for anyone that cannot be bothered to at least leaflet us. In the police election in may no-one did...
    Taz said:

Selebian said:

DM_Andy said:

Cookie said:

Ghedebrav said:

DM_Andy said:

Taz said:

Ghedebrav said:

A votewinner for me.

And my favourite from N. Devon - Woolfardisworthy (Wolsery)

I think he did ok in LBC - given the very sticky wicket Starmer’s office has landed him in:

I'll disagree and say that was a car crash but strokes for folks, other opinions exist
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    megasaur said:

Leon said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

lol. Also it’s raining.

Nothing to do. No work. I was in Transylvania last year, the bit King Charles likes. It's like the Shire in LOTR but the only way to make a living is work in a factory 200 miles away and come home for weekends.
    Transylvania is in Romania, Moldova is worse.

Over the weekend I met a Romanian who moved to Sofia, I didn't get the chance to ask the question but if I had it would have been WTF because Bulgaria isn't much better.

Sir FlipFlop?

I doubt it, its classic 'euro sausage' 'straight bananas' campaigning
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,352
    Leon said:

Visit the area controlled by Russia.
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,149

Sir FlipFlop?

It’s a dog whistle to the pub bore types who come out with claptrap like “soon you will need a degree to be a dustman”. That’s why it’s so loosely defined.

Sir FlipFlop?

I mean, Mickey Mouse, he's had a very successful and high earning career...

Sir FlipFlop?

Classics at Oxford? Well, it's certainly not STEM.

Sir FlipFlop?

I mean, Mickey Mouse, he's had a very successful and high earning career...
    The most successful anti semitic mouse in history
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,963
    You might get a hung jury Donald, relax!

Always makes me think of the South Park episode which ended with a jaunty musical number
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXHZaDiBKsU
    Don't be on your phone
    While being President
    Put it down
    You might do something dumb
    And cause an accident

Let's all agree
    Here today
    That if we're leader of the USA
    We'll put it down..
    eek said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

lol. Also it’s raining.

Over the weekend I met a Romanian who moved to Sofia, I didn't get the chance to ask the question but if I had it would have been WTF because Bulgaria isn't much better.
    Yes, I know that. Moldova was part of Romania till 1940 and I thought it was safe to extrapolate.

Transylvania doesn't know it's in Romania, mind. Everyone speaks Hungarian.
    ToryJim said:

Sir FlipFlop?

It’s a dog whistle to the pub bore types who come out with claptrap like “soon you will need a degree to be a dustman”. That’s why it’s so loosely defined.
    It's the campaign equivalent of screaming 'go out and get a real job' at passers by
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,418
    kle4 said:

Sir FlipFlop?

I expect they want the electorate to imagine which ones will go, rather than be specific.
    Anything from Trump University?

kle4 said:

Sir FlipFlop?

Or any of the Oxford colleges
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,601

Sir FlipFlop?

Sunak is relentless in stealing New Labour's clothes. From Gordon Brown's compulsory volunteering, to Charles Clarke's attack on Mickey Mouse degrees.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,573
    kle4 said:

Sir FlipFlop?

Apparently it will be decided by the regulator:

The Conservatives are vowing to change the law to give the Office for Students the powers to effectively shut underperforming courses.

Reasons to be deemed a struggling “Mickey Mouse” course could include a high dropout rate, a poor track record of securing jobs for graduates or, a new criteria, a comparatively low level of future earnings.

Sir FlipFlop?

David Beckham studies? (I'm sure that was one a few years ago).
    Forensic science.*

*Usually just a degree in analytical chemistry re-badged in the wake of CSI, Silent Witness, Bones etc.
    eek said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

lol. Also it’s raining.

Peru has economic refugees from Argentina and Venezuela.

The Peruvians are - WTAF?
    edited May 29
    While postmasters were being incorrectly accused of fraud, a gang from Bulgaria were stealing between £50 million and £200 million annually in benefits, seemingly without anyone noticing for a long time.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/bulgarian-city-thrived-200m-uk-9312388
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    Mickey Mouse or "rip off" degrees = those with high drop out rates or low earnings potential.

Good article here: https://metro.co.uk/2023/12/02/creatives-speak-rishi-sunaks-rip-off-degrees-crackdown-19762992/

"Although he has never given specific examples, the latest figures calculated by Oxford Learning College from last year suggested historical, philosophical and religious studies had the lowest employment rate.

And design, creative and performing arts had the lowest median graduate salary of £20,000."

Never heard of "Oxford Learning College", that said.
    edited May 29
    Excellent essay on our current Cold War, the West’s essential unpreparedness for it, and what we can learn from analogous periods (the late 30s, the early 50s).

https://tnsr.org/2024/05/confronting-another-axis-history-humility-and-wishful-thinking/
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,455
    megasaur said:

Leon said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

lol. Also it’s raining.

Many years back I went to a wedding in northeastern Romania, quite near the Moldovan border. After, we went on a coach trip to Transylvania. On the way, we stopped at a hillside pass and looked down on a village. The houses nearest the top of the valley had red roofs; as you looked further down the valley there were concrete monstrosities, and then, below them, a line of new red-roofed houses. The era of Communism visible in architecture.
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Sir FlipFlop?

The Conservatives are vowing to change the law to give the Office for Students the powers to effectively shut underperforming courses.

Reasons to be deemed a struggling “Mickey Mouse” course could include a high dropout rate, a poor track record of securing jobs for graduates or, a new criteria, a comparatively low level of future earnings.
    To be honest Universities shut underperforming courses anyway. Some years ago, during the teenager slump (short term reduction in the number of 18 year olds) we had a very poor recruitment cycle, right at the time the the deputy VC was gunning for our department. Squeaky bum time. Got through it and are now back at healthy numbers, but Uni's don't tolerate courses that don't make financial sense.

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

I like the new constituency Earley and Woodley. Much the best way to wake up in the morning.
    Carnyx said:

Sir FlipFlop?

Apart from a recommendation from the Head of Eton, what A levels does one need to read Classics at Oxford.
    Asking for a friend.
    I did Politics and English Literature, and it dun me no harm.

kle4 said:

Sir FlipFlop?

Or any of the Oxford colleges
    Anything from Fenland Poly
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    While Sunak is making the running with natty policy announcements is not the mood at the moment that the country wants a bit of a breather and not more of the hyperactivity of the last few years? The Tories have not been short on policies, it’s delivering them they need to persuade the electorate of.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    @paulhutcheon

BREAKING: Michael Matheson suspended from Holyrood for 27 days and has salary withdrawn over £11k data roaming scandal.
    edited May 29

Sir FlipFlop?

David Beckham studies? (I'm sure that was one a few years ago).
    Forensic science.*

*Usually just a degree in analytical chemistry re-badged in the wake of CSI, Silent Witness, Bones etc.
    Bit unfair [edit] re Becks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse_degrees

'In 2000, Staffordshire University received negative press coverage when a module on the sociological importance of football which had been designed for students taking sociology, sports science, or media studies was portrayed as a "degree in David Beckham Studies".[4] A professor for the department stressed that the course would not focus on Beckham, and that the module examines "the rise of football from its folk origins in the 17th century, to the power it's become and the central place it occupies in British culture, and indeed world culture, today".[4] In July 2015, UK Independence Party MEP Louise Bours referred to the module on Question Time, but as though it was a full degree course.[citation needed]'
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Sir FlipFlop?

The end for the University Of Bums on Seats?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Sir FlipFlop?

So, teaching and nursing degrees for the chop?

Sir FlipFlop?

No idea, but in a sane world all undergraduate degrees would be of similar difficulty, a first class would be a sign of unusually stellar quality, and students would be chosen on potential and not because they are an income source for the institution. I don't think anyone thinks this is the case currently.

The inadequate element in a degree can arise from: the nature or intrinsic unimportance of the subject matter; the quality of teaching and assessment; and the quality/potential of the students.

Sort this, and the rest sorts itself, in some cases by closing itself down. But as long as a business model comes first all the objective and true considerations will come second.

Sir FlipFlop?

"CON GAIN - BOOTLE"
    Carnyx said:

Sir FlipFlop?

Which would be absurd given Classics at Oxford is one of the earliest and longest running degrees and has been going long before most UK universities were even founded.

Apparently 'Drop-out rates, job progression and earnings potential will all be assessed to determine the worst courses and force them to close.' So those are the criteria for 'mickey mouse' degrees

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13469261/Tories-university-degrees-radical-plan-courses-money-apprenticeships.html
    https://x.com/YouGov/status/1795825530454900760?s=19

More needed for the grey folk says everyone.

Don't tell Horse

NEW THREAD

I did Politics and English Literature, and it dun me no harm.

"I've got one art O'Level, it did nothing for me"
    TOPPING said:

Mickey Mouse or "rip off" degrees = those with high drop out rates or low earnings potential.

Good article here: https://metro.co.uk/2023/12/02/creatives-speak-rishi-sunaks-rip-off-degrees-crackdown-19762992/

"Although he has never given specific examples, the latest figures calculated by Oxford Learning College from last year suggested historical, philosophical and religious studies had the lowest employment rate.

And design, creative and performing arts had the lowest median graduate salary of £20,000."

From a perspective of the nation's finances, it's the mean salary rather than the median salary that matters. If the performing arts have a very skewed earnings distribution, which seems plausible compared to many sectors, you'll get a median a lot lower than the mean.
    Taz said:

Sir FlipFlop?

"CON GAIN - BOOTLE"
    Hasn't got a Conservative candidate yet - surely one for Casino_Royale to throw their hat into the ring for.
    algarkirk said:

Sir FlipFlop?

No idea, but in a sane world all undergraduate degrees would be of similar difficulty, a first class would be a sign of unusually stellar quality, and students would be chosen on potential and not because they are an income source for the institution. I don't think anyone thinks this is the case currently.

The inadequate element in a degree can arise from: the nature or intrinsic unimportance of the subject matter; the quality of teaching and assessment; and the quality/potential of the students.

Sort this, and the rest sorts itself, in some cases by closing itself down. But as long as a business model comes first all the objective and true considerations will come second.
    In a sane world???
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Sir FlipFlop?

Which would be absurd given Classics at Oxford is one of the earliest and longest running degrees and has been going long before most UK universities were even founded.

Apparently 'Drop-out rates, job progression and earnings potential will all be assessed to determine the worst courses and force them to close.' So those are the criteria for 'mickey mouse' degrees

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13469261/Tories-university-degrees-radical-plan-courses-money-apprenticeships.html
    *missing the point that Mr Sunak said "STEM" as a key criterion*

*also absurd logic on your part : one could just as well argue for the Trivium and Quadrivium to replace the modern syllabus cos it was taught in the C15*

Don't tell Horse

We should have let Covid rip.
    DougSeal said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Sir FlipFlop?

Teaching degrees have been more chopped than cabbage in a mincer anyway.

The agricultural universities - Hartpury, Harper Adams, RAU - are all buggered now though.
    DM_Andy said:

Taz said:

Sir FlipFlop?

"CON GAIN - BOOTLE"
    Hasn't got a Conservative candidate yet - surely one for Casino_Royale to throw their hat into the ring for.
    Maybe that is why Iain Dale has left LBC. To fight Bootle.
    DougSeal said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Sir FlipFlop?

Nursing is OK because medical. And M in STEM means medical. But nurses don't need degrees or something so not OK. Teaching - only OK if STE in STEM. Or something.

Don't ask me to interpret ... I'm too logical and sane to understand Mr Sunak and the Tories.
  • AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,415
    TOPPING said:

The stats for employment (and post-graduation earnings) are always skewed by people who go on to do masters / further study, of course. I would imagine drop-out rates also favour less-challenging courses.

It seems almost inevitable that the sort of courses that your average Tory-voter would regard as being "mickey mouse" will end up being ranked amongst the best according to the metrics that Sunak has proposed.

Don't tell Horse

We should have let Covid rip.
    300,000 dead suggests that we pretty much did...

I'll disagree and say that was a car crash but strokes for folks, other opinions exist
    I think Kay Burley “oh, it was a joke” was more of a car crash….whichever, he wasn’t talking about the NHS…
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,238
    Leon said:

1. Meet this girl on Sunday

Carnyx said:

SQ turbulence initial report:

d. At 07:49:40 hr, the aircraft experienced a rapid change in G as recorded vertical acceleration decreased from +ve 1.35G to negative (-ve) 1.5G, within 0.6 sec. This likely resulted in the occupants who were not belted up to become airborne.

e. At 07:49:41 hr, the vertical acceleration changed from -ve 1.5G to +ve 1.5G within 4 sec. This likely resulted in the occupants who were airborne to fall back down.

f. The rapid changes in G over the 4.6 sec duration resulted in an altitude drop of 178 ft, from 37,362 ft to 37,184 ft. This sequence of events likely caused the injuries to the crew and passengers

https://www.mot.gov.sg/news/press-releases/Details/transport-safety-investigation-bureau-preliminary-investigation-findings-of-incident-involving-sq321

No shit Sherlock - these air incident investigators don't miss a trick, do they?
    They have to explain it in words of fewer than four letters for those journos who do things like misreading Flightradar.
    I object to the use of 'likely' in 'This likely resulted in the occupants who were airborne to fall back down.'

'Probably' would have been better but neither was necessary in this instance.
    An Americanism which is rather annoying. 😊 It should be "This is likely to have resulted in..."
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687

Having said that - JLP's methods and headline numbers might be wrong but that shouldn't impact their trend.

I don't think that follows logically.
    edited May 29
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Sir FlipFlop?

The agricultural universities - Hartpury, Harper Adams, RAU - are all buggered now though.
    Hardly, they have a very high record of graduates getting students into jobs, agriculture, even if mainly on family farms. Plus if the Tories lose the rural farming vote even their safest seats could be lost
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Sir FlipFlop?

*missing the point that Mr Sunak said "STEM" as a key criterion*

*also absurd logic on your part : one could just as well argue for the Trivium and Quadrivium to replace the modern syllabus cos it was taught in the C15*
    No, he said students should study Maths until 18 not that he would ban all non STEM degrees as that would include banning his old former PPE course
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,305
    Taz said:

Jess Phillips calls for Truss to be deselected.

https://x.com/jessphillips/status/1795744506664689920

File under "who gives a shit"
    Voters who don’t think someone should be lose their job for appearing on a podcast of someone whom others find objectionable. They give a sh!t.

Jess Philips, the queen of cancel culture, and an example of the attitude a Labour government will have towards freedom of speech.
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Sir FlipFlop?

Hardly, they have a very high record of graduates getting students into jobs, agriculture, even if mainly on family farms. Plus if the Tories lose the rural farming vote even their safest seats could be lost
    I was thinking of how unremunerative it is!
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Sir FlipFlop?

Depends on what your crop or livestock is. Plus family farms tend to have a family farmhouse with no mortgage or rent needed and often several other properties let out to tenants, whether private or businesses
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Sir FlipFlop?

Depends on what your crop or livestock is. Plus family farms tend to have a family farmhouse with no mortgage or rent needed and often several other properties let out to tenants, whether private or businesses
    There are three ways a man may ruin himself - wine, women and farming. My father chose the most boring of the three.

Pope John XXIII.
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Sir FlipFlop?

There are three ways a man may ruin himself - wine, women and farming. My father chose the most boring of the three.

Pope John XXIII.
    Though if nobody farmed we would all starve
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Sir FlipFlop?

Pope John XXIII.
    Though if nobody farmed we would all starve
    Thereby proving that there are some things worth more than money and this is a silly policy?
This discussion has been closed.