Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi needs to define what Sunak-ism is to stand a chance – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,727
edited October 2023 in General
imageRishi needs to define what Sunak-ism is to stand a chance – politicalbetting.com

As the Rishi Sunak stands up to speak today, he will be in now doubt that time is running out for him and his party. 

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,967
    Comedy warm up act for Rishi:

Veterans Affair minister Johnny Mercer up next. "If it’s any consolation, I was quite surprised they gave me this slot as well," he says.

He goes on: "Everybody wants change after 13 years. Just ask my wife."

https://x.com/PippaCrerar/status/1709520253481357544?s=20
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792
    edited October 2023
    1st? Edit: No!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,173
    TimS said:

Veterans Affair minister Johnny Mercer up next. "If it’s any consolation, I was quite surprised they gave me this slot as well," he says.

At least he's not here all week.
    Try the Rish.
  • Options
    FPT: Yes - TPE are slashing services and binning the Mark 5s because the DfT have told them to.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,039
    TimS said:

"Everyone cheered"

Not nearly as funny as Mordaunt's '[Labour] will undo everything we've achieved'.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,893
    Taking the .. counts ... 7th.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,798
    Ghedebrav said:

TimS said:

"Everyone cheered"

Not nearly as funny as Mordaunt's '[Labour] will undo everything we've achieved'.
    Don't threaten me with a good time
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,490
    Sunak can be saved by two themes.

Reintroduction of capital punishment

or

Postponement of General Elections for 20 years.

Nice intro by Mrs S.

• Options
    Agree entirely with Keiran but I think it would be too little, too late. I the vacuum created by his premiership to date, Sunakism has already been defined by his detractors and (more tellingly) neutral observers in an entirely negative way.

He appears to stand for nothing and even does that incompetantly.
  • Options
    Is Rishi nervous, asking Akshata to speak for him? :lol:
  • Options

Can't be worse than asking Suella or Shappsy.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,182
    edited October 2023
    @OGH, I love you to bits, but if you aren't the editor of the article you shouldn't be credited as the author in the heading. Ever since the site was refreshed from the old green "winning here" version, non-PB authors (other than Cyclefree) have been credited wrongly in the heading.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    She's very good but I think we could do with Rishi now....
  • Options
    On topic - appreciate the thread header from Keiran P.

Sunakism thus far seems to be coalescing as 'opportunistic populism' (probably the most positive framing I can muster). Still as close as evens for me that there'll be a proposal to bring back the gallows.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    What a great speech. It makes Sunak appear human.

If his speech is simply. "Thank you and goodbye", he will have had a good conference.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,159
    Sunak is so weird, it's like he's trying to do Trumpism from a catalog.

It doesn't work, to pull it off you need to be the kind of person who would call up a child at Christmas time and tell them there's no such thing as Santa.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,953
    Ghedebrav said:

Sunakism thus far seems to be coalescing as 'opportunistic populism' (probably the most positive framing I can muster). Still as close as evens for me that there'll be a proposal to bring back the gallows.

That is a culture war step I hadn’t even considered. Is it seriously on the cards?
  • Options
    OT, I could see Sunak losing ground and Starmer gaining ground during the course of an election campaign. The public see Starmer as a bit of a blank sheet of paper, he's really not that well known, so a campaign with him more in the forefront along with a fairly presentable shadow cabinet might boost favourability. He isn't inspirational but generally comes across as less wooden in practice than his reputation.

The public at least until recently saw Sunak as a dull but safe pair of hands. A election campaign may well show up his petulance and irritation at being asked difficult questions. We've already seen a bit of this during conference.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    It’s always desperate when the PM tries to get their wife out to make them seem more human.

Probably doesn’t help she was more recently a non dom, and extremely wealthy
  • Options
    Quick find Mrs S. a safe seat.

She was very effective.
  • Options

She's very good but I think we could do with Rishi now....

She would do well on a US political drama as First Lady. But I don't think many people doubt that Sunak is a nice hard working family bloke who would like things to be better.

They doubt he has the slightest inkling of how to make things better and see him losing the plot in an attempt to work it out.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,237
    A decent enough intro by Akshata Murthy.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Ghedebrav said:

That is a culture war step I hadn’t even considered. Is it seriously on the cards?
    I think they'll wait until after the election for that. But it's coming, I'm pretty sure. It would be as or more divisive and destructive to national cohesion than Brexit, but since when did that ever bother populists?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    viewcode said:

@OGH, I love you to bits, but if you aren't the editor of the article you shouldn't be credited as the author in the heading. Ever since the site was refreshed from the old green "winning here" version, non-PB authors (other than Cyclefree) have been credited wrongly in the heading.

The author is listed at the bottom, as it always is when it is a guest contribution.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,090

No more than when he has to ask her for money to rent a helicopter.
  • Options
    I am struggling to place Mrs Sunak's accent.
  • Options

"I learnt the importance of making good on your promises," says Sunak, five minutes before he's about to announce the cancellation of a promised railway line to Manchester.

ISERROR (Keep your promise + Make long term decisions = Cancel long term promised investment)=TRUE
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    edited October 2023

"I learnt the importance of making good on your promises," says Sunak, five minutes before he's about to announce the cancellation of a promised railway line to Manchester.

Self awareness levels sub zero aren't they!

He is also apparently going to talk about long term decisions at the same time as cancelling a long term infrastructure project.
  • Options
    Good speech for a Leader of the Opposition.

Just a pity he's the PM.
  • Options

I am struggling to place Mrs Sunak's accent.

A mix of Ritz-Carlton, Mandarin Oriental and Taj Palace?
  • Options

In other news: Mark Cavendish has delayed plans to retire and will race in next year's Tour de France.

I had a feeling he would. So bloody close to that record.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,253
    Bilge from Sunak so far.

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,904
    edited October 2023
    He says politics is fundamentally broken and people are disconnected from it. And that politics "has to change".

I know! I know! He's hired @TheScreamingEagles as adviser and he's going to announce PR for Westminster in the next few minutes.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,679
    Mortimer said:

He is also apparently going to talk about long term decisions at the same time as cancelling a long term infrastructure project.
    I maintain that a far better tactical approach would be to have given Hunt the bad HS2 news - if anything it would have fed into his 'there's no money for anything' theme. Then have Rishi be 'good cop' with the bus routes and potholes (hopefully he has a bit more than that) levelling up agenda in his speech.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    Sunak has always had poor political instincts and poor judgment. Remember when Covid first hit his initial response was to provide businesses which could no longer operate because of lockdown with loans. When they had no income with which to repay them. It was only after the stupidity of this was pointed out that grants and furlough came in.

The years since have not improved him. Admittedly the party he is in has been tearing itself apart for years. Even Solomon would struggle. But I can see no-one in the party who can articulate any sense of what Conservatism should be.

Frankly there are posters on here who could do a better job of spelling out what such a political position should be - and who could almost certainly make it more attractive than anything on offer from current Tory Ministers.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,926
    Rishi Talking about been stunted on growth

You have to admit he is a bit of an expert on this
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,873
    He needs to make a case of what the Tories need to BE to be the change, not blithely surmise that Labour are not.

It is already very, very bitty - it's not a building narrative yet.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Rishi sounds as bored by his speech as I am.
  • Options
    This is a bit of a “hard to believe” speech in the current context of the country. Bizarre
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,679
    I'm not watching it, but it sounds like Suella will be measuring curtains.
  • Options
    She's called Akshata Murty. Not Mrs Sunak.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Autocorrect wasn't playing with her name so I went for Mrs Sunak.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Along with HS2, the strong political consensus policy is(was) support for Ukraine.
    Why is he calling into question Labour's reliability on that ?

So far, utter shit.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,964

In other news: Mark Cavendish has delayed plans to retire and will race in next year's Tour de France.

Which stage do we reckon he'll crash out on this time?
  • Options
    Cant watch Sunak anymore he is as shit as SKS and Davey at oratory
  • Options
    Weaving together "things have been shit" and "haven't we done well" into the same speech.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036
    Not watching but these speeches always, always get overegged as "speech of a lifetime"; "pulled it out the bag" by the loyal toadies at conference. So it will be interesting to see if this gets the same reaction.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960

Mortimer said:

I maintain that a far better tactical approach would be to have given Hunt the bad HS2 news - if anything it would have fed into his 'there's no money for anything' theme. Then have Rishi be 'good cop' with the bus routes and potholes (hopefully he has a bit more than that) levelling up agenda in his speech.
    Boris was good at tactics, not so much strategy. Truss's strategy was right, her tactics were poor. Sunak seems to be terrible at both.

Quite remarkable how bad Tory MPs are at selecting leaders....
  • Options
    Call an election, you coward.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014
    Campaigns are either "You're never had it so good" or "Time for a Change".

Clearly he has to go for "Time for a Change" and everyone is nodding, you're dead right it is. He has an impossible task.

And he's a boring speaker.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,702
    edited October 2023
    UK & Ireland sole bidder for Euro 2028 after Turkey withdraws to focus on Euro 2032
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67003581

Football's coming home. Another success for Rishi.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,182
    RobD said:

viewcode said:

The author is listed at the bottom, as it always is when it is a guest contribution.
    It's the accreditation at the top I was referring to. For example the following links exist In the older site individual authors had individual entries, but that's stopped. So the following links no longer exist If the site cannot create an entry for all the contributors, then there should be an "other", thus But there isn't. So at the moment Kieran Pedley's articles are accredited to mike-smithson. Hence my point.
  • Options
    I’m not sure this speech has any bearing on reality. Are businesses really feeling like they’re “freed” to grow? Are we feeling the benefits of free ports?

Bizarre
  • Options

Weaving together "things have been shit" and "haven't we done well" into the same speech.

And now complaining about Starmer flip flops minutes before his own.....what idiot is writing this?
  • Options
    While we're busy thinking......
  • Options
    OldBasingOldBasing Posts: 170
    So far this speech is re-hash of all his crap PMQs lines.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

He really is. There's no passion. It just sounds patronising.

Right now he's trying to take the piss out of Starmer - and the rise in his voice at the end of each phrase is so half-hearted. It's almost as if even he can't be bothered any more.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Call an election, you coward.

Not till after next Springs giveaway budget.

Why would he or should he?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

TimS said:

OT, I could see Sunak losing ground and Starmer gaining ground during the course of an election campaign. The public see Starmer as a bit of a blank sheet of paper, he's really not that well known, so a campaign with him more in the forefront along with a fairly presentable shadow cabinet might boost favourability. He isn't inspirational but generally comes across as less wooden in practice than his reputation.

The public at least until recently saw Sunak as a dull but safe pair of hands. A election campaign may well show up his petulance and irritation at being asked difficult questions. We've already seen a bit of this during conference.

Some friends of mine know Starmer well and say that in private he is charming, relaxed and very humorous, very different from his public image. They find it a bit frustrating that he does not show that side of himself though I can see why he does not.

Sunak - like a a lot of people in the City - is not used to being challenged and has not had a lot of experience of this in politics. It shows. It's a mark of inexperience. I know that we don't want geriatrics in power as in the US but too many of our politicians are put in senior positions too early: Sunak is one such and has not been able to learn from his mistakes, possibly because he has been dazzled by his early PR coups during Covid.
    Sunak's assassination of 30 years of Starmer failure is going down well in the hall.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,554

Farooq said:

Also, the casual reader (like me) wouldn't have known who Akshata Murty was but clearly knows who Mrs. Sunak is.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Campaigns are either "You're never had it so good" or "Time for a Change".

Clearly he has to go for "Time for a Change" and everyone is nodding, you're dead right it is. He has an impossible task.

The change is doing the same old politics, but more tediously.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Should have had the courage to quote Keynes precisely.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,596

Cyclefree said:

TimS said:

Some friends of mine know Starmer well and say that in private he is charming, relaxed and very humorous, very different from his public image. They find it a bit frustrating that he does not show that side of himself though I can see why he does not.

Sunak - like a a lot of people in the City - is not used to being challenged and has not had a lot of experience of this in politics. It shows. It's a mark of inexperience. I know that we don't want geriatrics in power as in the US but too many of our politicians are put in senior positions too early: Sunak is one such and has not been able to learn from his mistakes, possibly because he has been dazzled by his early PR coups during Covid.
    Sunak's assassination of 30 years of Starmer failure is going down well in the hall.
    HS2 is an example of "consensus" thinking says Sunak.

Two fingers to Cameron and Osborne.

• Options
    "I am cancelling the rest of the HS2 project".
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,045
    "Across our nation"

Crossrail 2 confirmed
  • Options
    Does Rishi realise that Birmingham is in the Midlands? And how does stopping the connection between Birmingham and Manchester help connections between the north and the midlands?
  • Options
    Put that £36b figure on the side of a bus.
  • Options
    “Network north” lol
  • Options
    Rest of Hs2 cancelled.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Farooq said:

Also, the casual reader (like me) wouldn't have known who Akshata Murty was but clearly knows who Mrs. Sunak is.
    But that's not her name, Geoff.
  • Options

"I am cancelling the rest of the HS2 project".

No shit! :lol:
  • Options
    It seems he has specifics of this 'Network North'.

I hope it's more than lines drawn in Crayon on an AA map.
  • Options
    Shipley Bypass.

Well I'll have to vote for Phillip Davies now.
  • Options
    Long list of transport projects that will never happen.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Farooq said:

It's not her name though, any more than Rishi's is 'Mr Murty'.
  • Options
    "We'll fund the Shipley Bypass and the Blyth Relief Road"

Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh
  • Options
    70 road schemes.

He's got Bart's vote... ;)
  • Options
    “A faster train to London”. What a bloody idiot. It wasn’t about speed.
  • Options
    £2 bus fare being kept: instinctually that seems a good idea, but I wonder how it has affected ridership...
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

viewcode said:

It's the accreditation at the top I was referring to. For example the following links exist In the older site individual authors had individual entries, but that's stopped. So the following links no longer exist If the site cannot create an entry for all the contributors, then there should be an "other", thus But there isn't. So at the moment Kieran Pedley's articles are accredited to mike-smithson. Hence my point.
    Blimey! I can now find all my articles in one handy place. Cool.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,964
    "Network North"

Shipley bypass? That's not going to be mired in planning for 20 years, oh no.
  • Options

As soon as his team said they would extend his contract for another year if he wanted (straight after he crashed) I think this was always the likely option. Good for him.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117

Put this in the “will never happen” special filing cabinet i.e. the bin
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,233
    edited October 2023
    Excellent announcement from Rishi on a whole range of new transport schemes in the North and Midlands, electrification of North Wales line and improved links between Scotland + NI funded by scrapping of final leg of HS2
  • Options

70 road schemes.

How many of those are simple resurfacing existing roads. He did mention resurfacing.
  • Options

"We'll fund the Shipley Bypass and the Blyth Relief Road"

Sheeeeeeeeeeeesh

Sunak really setting the tone for a strident, global Britain here.
  • Options

Wondering if some pre existing.

This one described as Network North, as opposed to NPR is this:

https://news.railbusinessdaily.com/network-north-a-fully-integrated-rail-network-for-northern-england/
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,554

£2 bus fare being kept: instinctually that seems a good idea, but I wonder how it has affected ridership...

It's been pretty positive in GM.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    "There must be some accountability for the mismanagement of this project" says the leader of the party which has managed it since its inception.

Agreed.
  • Options

70 road schemes.

How many of those are simple resurfacing existing roads. He did mention resurfacing.
    70 roads; 40 hospitals...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

"There must be some accountability for the mismanagement of this project" says the leader of the party which has managed it since its inception.

He got one thing right then, and yes accountability is coming.
  • Options

As bus routes close on a daily basis.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135

Can you get odds on that?
This discussion has been closed.