Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rishi needs to define what Sunak-ism is to stand a chance – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,016
    long term, wibble, wibble, something banal...

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,827
    edited October 2023
    BobSykes said:

Andy_JS said:

Gareth Dennis on HS2 last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2us957Gj7Y

Never heard of him but enjoyed watching the video. Now subscribed to his channel.
    Not sure he knows what he's talking about though. He sounded pretty clear that "none of the work going on around Lichfield is about connecting to the West Coast Line" but that runs counter to everything I've read including this today from the Government:

"23.So we will complete Phase 1 of HS2 between London and the West Midlands as planned. There will be two branches: one to central Birmingham; and one to Handsacre, near Lichfield, meaning passengers will be able to travel on HS2 trains through to Manchester, Liverpool and Scotland, joining the West Coast Main Line for the rest of their journeys."

So who is right?
    I live very close to that section. Lots of disruption on the roads.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,551
    eek said:

TimS said:

This tweet is doing the rounds this afternoon

"No HS2 = no ambition for our country just when the whole world is looking at us. Now is a time to be AMBITIOUS! #GreatDecision"

https://x.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1227259322540994560?s=20

From last years Autumn statement

Smart countries build on their long-term commitments rather than discard them.

So today I confirm that because of this decision, alongside Sizewell C, we will deliver the core Northern Powerhouse Rail. HS2 to Manchester. East West Rail.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/the-autumn-statement-2022-speech
    I'm expecting EWR to get canned as well. After all, Oxford and Cambridge aren't 'north'.

To all the the lovely people who complained about HS2 not being in their area: just wait until projects in your area are proposed, and people object to those because it's not in their area.

You'll get what you deserve. Nothing.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,583
    eek said:

TimS said:

This tweet is doing the rounds this afternoon

"No HS2 = no ambition for our country just when the whole world is looking at us. Now is a time to be AMBITIOUS! #GreatDecision"

https://x.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1227259322540994560?s=20

From last years Autumn statement

Smart countries build on their long-term commitments rather than discard them.

So today I confirm that because of this decision, alongside Sizewell C, we will deliver the core Northern Powerhouse Rail. HS2 to Manchester. East West Rail.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/the-autumn-statement-2022-speech
    It really does look like the plan was drawn up at the last moment on the back of a fag packet, probably moments before they decided to ban fags.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,332
    I'm finding it hard to shake off the feeling that the Tory party has been captured by some malign force that actively wishes our country ill.
  • Options

That was possibly the most politically inept Tory leadership speech I've heard since Turning Up The Volume.

Bad enough for the '22 to be taking their grey suits to the dry cleaners in anticipation?

Though that means finding another replacement, almost certainly as a caretaker. Gove?

(Suspect the Conservatives and Sunak are trapped together for the next fifteen months. Unfortunately, we're all trapped there with them.)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,636

New Thread

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,827
    Labour's response to HS2, when it comes, will be interesting. I've just been looking at the Shadow Cabinet, and while Starmer is obviously at the London end, most of the other big players represent Northern seats that are directly or indirectly affected by the HS2 decision. (Rayner, Reeves, Nandy, Phillipson, Cooper, Miliband, Haigh). I suspect they'll be bending Starmer's ear.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,641

That was possibly the most politically inept Tory leadership speech I've heard since Turning Up The Volume.

For reasons I won’t explain on PB, I was actually in the hall for that speech. It was poor, but at least it was memorable. And IDS had some passion - even if it didn’t convey well.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,641
    A-levels to be scrapped in 2033!

Ain’t.

Gonna.

Happen.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,551

Labour's response to HS2, when it comes, will be interesting. I've just been looking at the Shadow Cabinet, and while Starmer is obviously at the London end, most of the other big players represent Northern seats that are directly or indirectly affected by the HS2 decision. (Rayner, Reeves, Nandy, Phillipson, Cooper, Miliband, Haigh). I suspect they'll be bending Starmer's ear.

The obvious political answer is to do both legs of HS2 north and further improvements to northern infrastructure. After all, HS2 north spending won't be towards the end of a first term, and planning for major infrastructure can easily take ten to fifteen years (as HS2 has). Therefore pushing it out to another government...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,411
    What do A-levels, HS2 to Manc, sane government, and THIS THREAD have in common.

They're ALL SCRAPPED!
  • Options

A-levels to be scrapped in 2033!

Ain’t.

Gonna.

Happen.

Advanced British Standard (except for students in Wales, Scotland and NI who have their own systems).

Whoever arranged for it to be A BS exam system had fun, at least.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,793

Taz said:

This is a black day for the governance of this country.

Shocking that a short-lease PM can tear up twenty years of planning and building and cross-party agreement in space of a conference.

The precedent was set when the Leeds leg went, to barely a murmur. The people bellyaching now should have fought it tooth and nail then instead of being relieved their patch was safe.
    Yes. This is where the trouble really started.

I could be sold on the concept of updated, high speed rail capacity linking the north east and north west with London (and eventually supported by an upgraded cross Pennine route improving links everywhere between Liverpool to Newcastle/York/Hull). Once bits started being cut away was when the rot set in. Much easier to start chopping the rest once you start abandoning parts of the plan. The pledge and promise was as much about Yorkshire and the North East as it was Manchester and the North West.
    Ben Houchen was making just that point on Sky saying it is not all about Manchester
    If we are talking Teeside then it's all about Ben.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,943
    edited October 2023
    edit
  • Options
    boulay said:

FIFA lifts Russian ban from international football

That is controversial

They have also decided that the 2030 World Cup will be played in Spain, Portugal, Morocco and….. South America. Genius, no issues with increased carbon footprint, different seasons and jet lag.
    They are only playing the opening three matches in South America as a nod to it being the centenary of the first World Cup in Uruguay. It's a bit of a faff for the teams involved, but that's about it and actually the bulk of the tournament is in a pretty small area (particularly compared with the 2026 World Cup).

I'm no fan of FIFA (not least on the lifting the Russian ban) but struggle to get worked up about the 2030 World Cup decision.
This discussion has been closed.