Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New poll has big majority for rejoin – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,008

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Parody Rishi Sunak
    @Parody_PM
    ·
    13m
    "I should just point out that paying £1.6bn for a barge with Legionella was a one-off"

1.6bn?!

Hadn't realised. Checked. Actually not for one barge, but even so it's a lot for three boats (so far announced) for 2 years, when the boats are only hired.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/barge-australia-asylum-contract-travel-b2354578.html
    Cheaper than Rwanda though. And no less ineffective .
    To be fair the failed Rwanda scheme only costs £120 million a year.

In other news, the Junior doctors strikes have now cost £1 billion. That's the same cost as the BMA were asking. If the government had gone halfway, they would have been quids in, and in a much better position on staff retention and waiting lists. Not very good with money are they?

https://twitter.com/TelePolitics/status/1689743786753085441?t=UNQ5Bb2zZpUNI02hEuDWJw&s=19
    The BMA wanted a 31% rise, way more than that. Even nurses have settled with the government as have teachers despite getting paid less than doctors
    The BMA have been doing a great job hiding the fact that most "Junior" doctors are on a very nice wedge.
    It doesn't matter if what they get is fair or nice, when that amount is not enough to keep them in their jobs. Just creates a viscious circle of not enough doctors - the ones left become stressed and demotivated - we pay a fortune for agency staff - more doctors leave - not enough doctors.

This is basic economics not social justice. Longer term we could train a lot more doctors and/or shift their work to other health professionals and AI, but in the short and medium term only paying them closer to what they want has any chance of working.
    The deliberate policy, under many governments, over many decades, has been to have less places for training doctors (both in the universities and hospitals) than the NHS requires, each year. And not by a small amount either.

The demand is known a decade ahead - you can download the workforce estimates online.

Strangely, this policy has resulted in a shortage of doctors.

I would keep increasing the number of places until we have 110% of the doctors and other medical staff we require.
    That would presumably cost money and, in the short term, place even more demands on the existing doctors' time. Governments aren't very good at short term hits for long term gains.
    Indeed, any proposal to expand Medical Schools and postgraduate training requires retention of grognard medical educators like me, and enough time to teach in our job plans.

Either that or release the untrained on the great British public relying on Dr Google.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,795
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Parody Rishi Sunak
    @Parody_PM
    ·
    13m
    "I should just point out that paying £1.6bn for a barge with Legionella was a one-off"

1.6bn?!

Hadn't realised. Checked. Actually not for one barge, but even so it's a lot for three boats (so far announced) for 2 years, when the boats are only hired.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/barge-australia-asylum-contract-travel-b2354578.html

In other news, the Junior doctors strikes have now cost £1 billion. That's the same cost as the BMA were asking. If the government had gone halfway, they would have been quids in, and in a much better position on staff retention and waiting lists. Not very good with money are they?

https://twitter.com/TelePolitics/status/1689743786753085441?t=UNQ5Bb2zZpUNI02hEuDWJw&s=19
    The BMA wanted a 31% rise, way more than that. Even nurses have settled with the government as have teachers despite getting paid less than doctors
    The BMA have been doing a great job hiding the fact that most "Junior" doctors are on a very nice wedge.
    It doesn't matter if what they get is fair or nice, when that amount is not enough to keep them in their jobs. Just creates a viscious circle of not enough doctors - the ones left become stressed and demotivated - we pay a fortune for agency staff - more doctors leave - not enough doctors.

This is basic economics not social justice. Longer term we could train a lot more doctors and/or shift their work to other health professionals and AI, but in the short and medium term only paying them closer to what they want has any chance of working.
    So how many medical schools can't fill their places because teenagers are put off by the salary prospects?

They are queueing round the block to become doctors. The shortage of doctors is a result of not enough places at med schools, not because of a shortage of wannabe doctors.

Doctors leave the profession because they can afford to retire early. Thanks to the high pay.
    Nah, my medical school has unfilled places in clearing for the first time ever. I am doing the interviews this week.

I think the ongoing disputes are affecting applications too.
    Wow. Certainly not a consequence of the dispute that I was anticipating.

BTW, you do know that my anti-doctor vibe is just a bit of fun. Comes from being married into a family riddled with doctors.
  • Options
    BobBob Posts: 13
    Leon said:

Bob said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

But I would not rule out this happening as the scale of economic damage that Brexit has caused becomes clearer.

So clear that Mike is unable to say what it is.

But mention we now have full employment and see how that triggers some people.

What good is full employment if no-one under 30 can buy a home unless they get it passed down from their family
    Well how do I know several people in their mid 20s who have bought houses in recent years ?

Now they do live in northern England and mostly avoided going to university but it does show that it is possible.

The housing problem is one concentrated in southern England and in particular among the southern English middle class.

What we're seeing currently is a reversal of the 1970s and 1980s with the northern working class having improved opportunities and the southern middle class regressing.

It is this change to the 'normal' state that is causing such socioeconomic strain.

And with continued globalisation and upcoming effects of AI its a socioeconomic strain which is likely to increase.
    Ditto. Niece and friends in Cornwall. Didn’t go to uni. Have decent jobs. They’re in their late 20s and they’ve bought their first homes - in not unpleasant parts of Cornwall (supposedly a property hotspot)

It is do-able. But not so much in london or the SE
    Only doable on 2 incomes and even then would be a struggle in the parts of northern england where the jobs are ie leeds or manchester. Sure areas like burnley are cheap but who would want to live there.
    Cornwall is in places insanely expensive but these young people have settled for ex local authority semi or terraced housing, in Falmouth (a rather nice town to live in). The houses aren’t pretty but they’re 3 beds, with small gardens, absolutely fine as starter homes

Yes they need two incomes but who doesn’t?!
    Yeah areas like st ives are obscene. Nice place but wouldnt want to live there.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,155
    edited August 2023

ydoethur said:

British Leyland truly was dire.

I have no idea how it ended up making such uniformly crap cars. It's not as if we didn't have the design and engineering expertise to make good ones in this country.

Because they prized cheapness over quality, and thought they could get away with it.
    Much like the rest of the country.

Bigger question is- what about Britain embeds that in our psyche, and what the hell can be done to fix it?

(Relevant to Brexit, given that the main slogan boiled down to "all the advantages ONLY CHEAPER.)
    A culture in business of clinging onto the product you have, long after it is time to kill it, for one.

You have two choices. Either the product that kills your current best seller belongs to you, or it will belong to a competitor.

In too many British companies - “but it will damage sales of our existing line” is taken as a reason not to proceed.
    There's another currently world-leading British company facing that sort of challenge. Games Workshop, based in Nottingham, are the world's leading manufacturer of toy soldiers, and the best at plastic injection moulding. But here comes 3d-printing, threatening to upend their business model.

Will they adapt to the new technology, or will it kill them? Nearly £4bn of share capital and £135m in yearly dividend payments want to know - but the board don't mention it in their annual report to investors...
    3D printing isnt quite ready for mass production. It’s still more expensive than injection moulding for large volumes. And there is the speed issue.

Though for making the moulds, both CNC and 3D printing can be extremely useful.

I would have a division investigating the area, selling small runs of highly detailed collectibles that will fetch enough to cover cost. Maybe investigate laser scanning the whole past range, so broken or lost items from decades ago can be replaced. Maybe bespoke manufacturing? All those can command premium prices and help get the technology ready for mass production.

Which will happen in the next few years
    That's not the issue. The issue is that (a small number of) Games Workshop's customers are buying 3d printers. It makes it a lot easier for small-scale designers to reach new customers because they don't have to deal with manufacturing, quality control, mail order, convincing independent retailers to carry their stock - they can sell digital files of their designs directly to the consumer.

It's a situation where it is hard to see a future business model that delivers the same profit margin as their existing one, but if they ignore the change that is happening they'll end up with zero profits rather than lower profits.
    A friend who does his own 3-D printing as part of his professional modelmaking (for films/animations) was recently talking about it to me.

There are also third party printers - sort of like Amazon printing books on demand for the original 'vendor' and sending them to the customer.

Also, looking at some stuff on offer [edit: not Games Workshop] , the quality control is often iffy - raster lines still visible, like a bad pic on an old B&W telly or as if it was carved from plywood and not proiperly sealed. That's another issue, because what is on the marketing webpage is often a graphic image not a phot of the real thing. I have a sense that this is holding some back (it would hold me back) but it's presumably solvable by better tech and market place dynamics.
  • Options
    Bob said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

But I would not rule out this happening as the scale of economic damage that Brexit has caused becomes clearer.

What good is full employment if no-one under 30 can buy a home unless they get it passed down from their family
    Well how do I know several people in their mid 20s who have bought houses in recent years ?

Now they do live in northern England and mostly avoided going to university but it does show that it is possible.

The housing problem is one concentrated in southern England and in particular among the southern English middle class.

What we're seeing currently is a reversal of the 1970s and 1980s with the northern working class having improved opportunities and the southern middle class regressing.

It is this change to the 'normal' state that is causing such socioeconomic strain.

And with continued globalisation and upcoming effects of AI its a socioeconomic strain which is likely to increase.
    Ditto. Niece and friends in Cornwall. Didn’t go to uni. Have decent jobs. They’re in their late 20s and they’ve bought their first homes - in not unpleasant parts of Cornwall (supposedly a property hotspot)

Only doable on 2 incomes and even then would be a struggle in the parts of northern england where the jobs are ie leeds or manchester. Sure areas like burnley are cheap but who would want to live there.
    Burnley or Siberia? I'll take the former.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,071
    edited August 2023
    Bob said:

Interestingly i dont know if anyone has noticed petrol prices creeping up again. There has been a massive rise in wholesale unleaded gasoline the past month which has yet to feed through. Also uk nat gas prices up 116% in past month. Bad US PPI report yesterday. 2nd round inflation likely starting which will mean higher interest rates and be disastrous for the tories.

The Saudis are about to start pumping the oil in serious quantities. OPEC nations are not happy with Russia threatening their food supply, as well as failing to make the agreed production cuts last month. That should be good for inflation, as well as having the pleasing side-effect of screwing VVP’s balls to the wall of the Kremlin.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,785
    Bob said:

Leon said:

Bob said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Cornwall is in places insanely expensive but these young people have settled for ex local authority semi or terraced housing, in Falmouth (a rather nice town to live in). The houses aren’t pretty but they’re 3 beds, with small gardens, absolutely fine as starter homes

Yes they need two incomes but who doesn’t?!
    Yeah areas like st ives are obscene. Nice place but wouldnt want to live there.
    St Ives is gorgeous but a nightmare to live in. I’ve known several that tried

In high summer it can take an hour to drive in, or out. A tiny town!
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,272
    malcolmg said:

Tres said:

why do they need to buy a house if they are going to inherit one anyway, makes sense to rent.
    sure renting can be helpful if you have the back-up of mummies and daddies home if you get evicted - not everyone has that luxuty
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Parody Rishi Sunak
    @Parody_PM
    ·
    13m

1.6bn?!

So how many medical schools can't fill their places because teenagers are put off by the salary prospects?

They are queueing round the block to become doctors. The shortage of doctors is a result of not enough places at med schools, not because of a shortage of wannabe doctors.

Doctors leave the profession because they can afford to retire early. Thanks to the high pay.
    Let's not forget that British taxpayers usually pay about 85% of the cost of medical degrees.
    And 100% of the doctors' wages.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    Bob said:

Interestingly i dont know if anyone has noticed petrol prices creeping up again. There has been a massive rise in wholesale unleaded gasoline the past month which has yet to feed through. Also uk nat gas prices up 116% in past month. Bad US PPI report yesterday. 2nd round inflation likely starting which will mean higher interest rates and be disastrous for the tories.

I have noticed this also. It’s a killer
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519
    Ghedebrav said:

On topic, I was a big advocate for staying in the EU.

I regret that we left but I regret more how the vote tore the country apart. The last thing I want is a rerun of such a national trauma.

This is how I feel too. It's why I was anti a 2nd referendum despite being a NoBrainerRemainer. The 1st one was an abomination on every level so why on earth repeat it? Ideally from here I'd like us to iterate (gradually, no rush) an ever closer relationship with the EU that ends up being essentially like membership, and for this to become non-controversial, ie only a nutty fringe oppose it. Key here is the Conservatives choose to remain a mainstream political party rather than become that nutty fringe. So long as that happens we're there. Then, final step, a technicality really, we turn our quasi membership into actual membership, nice big majority vote in the House of Commons, no need to trouble the public with it.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

I regret that we left but I regret more how the vote tore the country apart. The last thing I want is a rerun of such a national trauma.

This is how I feel too. It's why I was anti a 2nd referendum despite being a NoBrainerRemainer. The 1st one was an abomination on every level so why on earth repeat it? Ideally from here I'd like us to iterate (gradually, no rush) an ever closer relationship with the EU that ends up being essentially like membership, and for this to become non-controversial, ie only a nutty fringe oppose it. Key here is the Conservatives choose to remain a mainstream political party rather than become that nutty fringe. So long as that happens we're there. Then, final step, a technicality really, we turn our quasi membership into actual membership, nice big majority vote in the House of Commons, no need to trouble the public with it.
    I’m fairly sure you’re trolling but just in case, lol no
  • Options
    Intetestingly Esther Mcvey is another tory to join the anti vax brigade.

British senior Conservative MP Ester McVey has claimed Covid vaccines have a “disproportionate” injury rate, with injuries including “strokes, blood clots, heart attacks, amputations and neurological conditions” She has gone on to say that 98% of covid vaccine injuries are being missed !!!

https://twitter.com/JimFergusonUK/status/1689651883500265472?s=20
  • Options

Bob said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Burnley or Siberia? I'll take the former.
    Don't be mean. Keeping Bob out of a dugout in Bakhmut is one of the many services that PB offers the youth of St Petersburg.
  • Options
    edited August 2023

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Parody Rishi Sunak
    @Parody_PM
    ·
    13m

1.6bn?!

Let's not forget that British taxpayers usually pay about 85% of the cost of medical degrees.
    And 100% of the doctors' wages.
    Er, double counting. A lot of the doctors' wages are earned while working for degrees and qualifications.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,868
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

British Leyland truly was dire.

I have no idea how it ended up making such uniformly crap cars. It's not as if we didn't have the design and engineering expertise to make good ones in this country.

Because they prized cheapness over quality, and thought they could get away with it.
    Much like the rest of the country.

Bigger question is- what about Britain embeds that in our psyche, and what the hell can be done to fix it?

(Relevant to Brexit, given that the main slogan boiled down to "all the advantages ONLY CHEAPER.)
    A culture in business of clinging onto the product you have, long after it is time to kill it, for one.

You have two choices. Either the product that kills your current best seller belongs to you, or it will belong to a competitor.

In too many British companies - “but it will damage sales of our existing line” is taken as a reason not to proceed.
    There's another currently world-leading British company facing that sort of challenge. Games Workshop, based in Nottingham, are the world's leading manufacturer of toy soldiers, and the best at plastic injection moulding. But here comes 3d-printing, threatening to upend their business model.

Will they adapt to the new technology, or will it kill them? Nearly £4bn of share capital and £135m in yearly dividend payments want to know - but the board don't mention it in their annual report to investors...
    3D printing isnt quite ready for mass production. It’s still more expensive than injection moulding for large volumes. And there is the speed issue.

Though for making the moulds, both CNC and 3D printing can be extremely useful.

I would have a division investigating the area, selling small runs of highly detailed collectibles that will fetch enough to cover cost. Maybe investigate laser scanning the whole past range, so broken or lost items from decades ago can be replaced. Maybe bespoke manufacturing? All those can command premium prices and help get the technology ready for mass production.

Which will happen in the next few years
    That's not the issue. The issue is that (a small number of) Games Workshop's customers are buying 3d printers. It makes it a lot easier for small-scale designers to reach new customers because they don't have to deal with manufacturing, quality control, mail order, convincing independent retailers to carry their stock - they can sell digital files of their designs directly to the consumer.

It's a situation where it is hard to see a future business model that delivers the same profit margin as their existing one, but if they ignore the change that is happening they'll end up with zero profits rather than lower profits.
    A friend who does his own 3-D printing as part of his professional modelmaking (for films/animations) was recently talking about it to me.

There are also third party printers - sort of like Amazon printing books on demand for the original 'vendor' and sending them to the customer.

Also, looking at some stuff on offer, the quality control is often iffy - raster lines still visible, like a bad pic on an old B&W telly or as if it was carved from plywood and not proiperly sealed. That's another issue, because what is on the marketing webpage is often a graphic image not a phot of the real thing. I have a sense that this is holding some back (it would hold me back) but it's presumably solvable by better tech and market place dynamics.
    You can 3D print to virtually any quality you care to mention. Time and money.

See the aerospace parts that are being made.

The other issue is post print finishing - this tends to get.. forgotten in the online glossy pics.
  • Options
    Can’t she score on the rebound??
  • Options

Bob said:

I have noticed this also. It’s a killer
    I honestly think this 2nd round of inflation could be bad and shred the last gasp of tory credibility.
  • Options

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Parody Rishi Sunak
    @Parody_PM
    ·
    13m

1.6bn?!

Nah, my medical school has unfilled places in clearing for the first time ever. I am doing the interviews this week.

BTW, you do know that my anti-doctor vibe is just a bit of fun. Comes from being married into a family riddled with doctors.
    No problem. I don't like doctors much either.
  • Options
    Lol
  • Options
    Leon said:

Can’t she score on the rebound??

Your ex-girlfriend?
  • Options
    Bob said:

British senior Conservative MP Ester McVey has claimed Covid vaccines have a “disproportionate” injury rate, with injuries including “strokes, blood clots, heart attacks, amputations and neurological conditions” She has gone on to say that 98% of covid vaccine injuries are being missed !!!

Or possibly talk balls.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

Please - 'national trauma'? The Ukrainians will tell you what national trauma looks like.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Parody Rishi Sunak
    @Parody_PM
    ·
    13m

1.6bn?!

No disrespecr but many doctors could do with losing the arrogance. Im sure you are a nice doctor though foxy.
  • Options
    Oz going out NOW
  • Options

Bob said:

Or possibly talk balls.
    Maybe the tories think antivax will win them the next election. Who knows lol.
  • Options
    Oh
  • Options
    Oz, etc
  • Options
    Tres said:

kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

Please - 'national trauma'? The Ukrainians will tell you what national trauma looks like.
    Yes very sad all round. We must pray for the ukrainian people.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Parody Rishi Sunak
    @Parody_PM
    ·
    13m

1.6bn?!

Exactly , especially given their ridiculous claim they are on 14 quid an hour. Pure greed to be asking such a stupid amount.
  • Options
    Bob said:

A useful point. The incompetence, ignorance and malevolence of the Tory back benches does make the front bench look good in comparison. A bit like going on the pull with an ugly mate.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,627
    edited August 2023
    Australia win on pens...

EDIT France retake penalty
  • Options
    Leon said:

Oz, etc

Nice you enjoy womens football. I cant get into it myself.
  • Options
    Just Kidding!
  • Options
    Australia miss!
  • Options
    Bob said:

Tres said:

kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

Tell me, are you a big fan of Gorky Park?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,180
    Surely Australia get it this time.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Bob said:

A useful point. The incompetence, ignorance and malevolence of the Tory back benches does make the front bench look good in comparison. A bit like going on the pull with an ugly mate.
    Mind you the republicans in the us are now coming out with this.

US Congressman

@RonJohnsonWI

alleges that covid was “pre-planned by an elite group of people. Event 201”. In reference to the John’s Hopkins Center tabletop exercise with the WEF and the Gates Foundation.

This was live on fox business.

https://twitter.com/WarClandestine/status/1690024961535004672?s=20
  • Options
    Australia win finally - longest shoot-out LOL
  • Options
    Terrible game. Brilliant shoot out
  • Options

How many kicks were there altogether
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,151
    Bob said:

To be fair her academic studies in law, radio journalism and corporate governance equip her ideally to bring a fresh perspective to the question, completely untainted by any acquaintance with science or statistics.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Commentator said 20, I think.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Tres said:

Bob said:

Tres said:

kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

Tell me, are you a big fan of Gorky Park?
    The novel must win the Marcel Proust award for best opening and closing sentences.
  • Options
    Bob said:

Leon said:

Oz, etc

I’m not a huge fan. I love the drama and agony of penalties (as long as it’s not England)
  • Options
    I see Galloway is doing his best to support the west again.

The fast developing military situation in #Ukraine will shortly see #Kupyansk abandoned and even #Kharkov over-run. Those blocking a negotiated end of the war are psychopaths. Key units are refusing to fight the wounded cannot be evacuated thousands of lives are being lost or destroyed. The price paid in any negotiations has risen and will only rise and rise. #StopTheWar

@No2NatoNo2War

2:59 PM · Aug 10, 2023

·

Views

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/1689637501454196736?s=20
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,945
    Bob said:

Interesting. Whenever I need scientific advice I find it best to rely on one of McVey, Tucker Carlson, David Icke or RFK. They can really feel the one true answer, this approach has never failed for me.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Commentator said 20, I think.
    I can't remember a longer penalty shoot out than this.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

20, I think
  • Options
    Right, so I haven't watched any of this tournament so far, but have switched on for the England game.

Let's see if they can play.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Bob said:

Leon said:

Oz, etc

I’m not a huge fan. I love the drama and agony of penalties (as long as it’s not England)
    No me neither. Give me a real mans game like rugby.
  • Options
    Bob said:

The fast developing military situation in #Ukraine will shortly see #Kupyansk abandoned and even #Kharkov over-run. Those blocking a negotiated end of the war are psychopaths. Key units are refusing to fight the wounded cannot be evacuated thousands of lives are being lost or destroyed. The price paid in any negotiations has risen and will only rise and rise. #StopTheWar

@No2NatoNo2War

·

Views

That took you ten comments
  • Options
    Leon said:

Bob said:

@No2NatoNo2War

·

Views

Give me a like Leon. I know you want to.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,030
    Interesting new polling on public attitudes to LGBT people: https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1689933966474661889

The public report being more LGB friendly than LGB individuals or the public think they are.
  • Options
    Oz could now win this on home ground sentiment
  • Options
    Tres said:

malcolmg said:

Tres said:

why do they need to buy a house if they are going to inherit one anyway, makes sense to rent.
    sure renting can be helpful if you have the back-up of mummies and daddies home if you get evicted - not everyone has that luxuty
    Poster's point was re inheriting a house, my point was not speaking from personal viewpoint.
    I inherited nothing personally, well a scant few K. Hard work and giving up other things , example Gallowgate, is what is required.
    Young people are in main spoiled brats nowadays, they expect everything to be handed to them on a plate, for majority it will not happen.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,141
    Next Saturday can we all refrain from posting from midnight so when the troll signs on and starts posting there will be nothing, tumbleweed for hours and he will think we’ve all run away to a new place without telling him and then he won’t come back.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,207

Re. industrial decline:

There's a brilliant book about shipbuilding, the Rise and Fall of British Shipbuilding, but Anthony Burton. It's been some time since I read it, but the decline in shipbuilding was far more complex than just bad management! or bad government!, or unions! There are so many other factors, like lack of strategic vision, lack of understanding of the customers, and a radically changing marketplace.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rise-Fall-British-Shipbuilding/dp/0752489690

A very good book

If there had been good management, good social structure in the workplace, flexible unions and government that had some kind of clue, then shipbuilding in the U.K. would have had a chance. But multiply the failures of all of them together…

Perhaps the skills needed to get to the top are different from those needed to stay there.

And while Britain had plenty of the first during the industrial revolution it didn't have enough of the second type during the 20th century.

'Clogs to clogs in three generations' in the old Yorkshire saying or in economic theory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kondratiev_wave
    Slide Rule has some interesting bits when Shute was dealing with the ship building industry. Intellectually incurious, to put it mildly.

They were run by the kind of manger who does what he’s always done. And by God, will keep doing the same thing. Forever. Imagine the watch chains rattling as he pounds the table to emphasise this.

The original buccaneering engineer types were long gone by then, of course.
    What caused the change ?
    Around the First World War, there was a real entrepreneurialism, which often involved government, and collaboration with university science.
    (See, for example, the early career of Chaim Weizmann, and the development of industrial chemical fermentation.)
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,651
    Bob needs to look for a new job, it appears.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071

Interesting new polling on public attitudes to LGBT people: https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1689933966474661889

The public report being more LGB friendly than LGB individuals or the public think they are.

Isn't that the intuitive explanation for all the focus on trans? LGB just isn't worth being an activist for anymore.
  • Options
    Tres said:

kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well I didn't say that phrase - but I think you can use these words (trauma, tragedy, atrocity etc) to describe things that aren't compared to things that truly are. Otherwise you end up with a rather bland and neutered vocabulary for discussing life here in the UK. Because all our problems are 1st world problems, let's face it. None of them amount to a hill of beans compared to all the places (Ukraine being one of many) ravaged by war, persecution and abject poverty.
  • Options
    If the UK and all the EU members apart from France wanted us to rejoin the EU, the French would block it for at least 20 years, because that's the way they do things.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Parody Rishi Sunak
    @Parody_PM
    ·
    13m

1.6bn?!

Not quite. There are bigger problems at the low paid end with recently qualified doctors being mired in debt, doing terrible jobs, and casting envious eyes at their old school chums whose careers as lawyers and management consultants have taken off and left the quacks behind. There are probably things that can be done without increasing pay, but that's another story.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,141
    I’ve just seen a strange size comparison in a news report about a fin whale seen off the coast here - “about the length of two and a half double decker buses”. Why use double decker buses? Surely single deckers are perfectly good for measuring length. Journalists these days.
  • Options
    Absurd hyperbole from the Guardian

“This World Cup had already achieved so much for football in Australia, but that moment will now go down in the long list of sporting greatness in this country, alongside Cathy Freeman’s 400m, Shane Warne’s ball of the century, and John Aloisi’s penalty. Absolutely extraordinary.”

Don Bradman? David Campese? Margaret Court? Ian Thorpe? Rod Laver?
  • Options
    Bob said:

Leon said:

Bob said:

@No2NatoNo2War

·

Views

Give me a like Leon. I know you want to.
    Not one of the better trolls I must say.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Re. industrial decline:

There's a brilliant book about shipbuilding, the Rise and Fall of British Shipbuilding, but Anthony Burton. It's been some time since I read it, but the decline in shipbuilding was far more complex than just bad management! or bad government!, or unions! There are so many other factors, like lack of strategic vision, lack of understanding of the customers, and a radically changing marketplace.

A very good book

If there had been good management, good social structure in the workplace, flexible unions and government that had some kind of clue, then shipbuilding in the U.K. would have had a chance. But multiply the failures of all of them together…

Perhaps the skills needed to get to the top are different from those needed to stay there.

And while Britain had plenty of the first during the industrial revolution it didn't have enough of the second type during the 20th century.

'Clogs to clogs in three generations' in the old Yorkshire saying or in economic theory:

Slide Rule has some interesting bits when Shute was dealing with the ship building industry. Intellectually incurious, to put it mildly.

They were run by the kind of manger who does what he’s always done. And by God, will keep doing the same thing. Forever. Imagine the watch chains rattling as he pounds the table to emphasise this.

What caused the change ?
    Around the First World War, there was a real entrepreneurialism, which often involved government, and collaboration with university science.
    (See, for example, the early career of Chaim Weizmann, and the development of industrial chemical fermentation.)
    Before, surely? Not familiar with the details of that particular case, but don't Thomson aka Kelvin and his work on the transoceanic cables qualify?
  • Options
    Bob said:

"You are another Russian troll. And you're a troll with as much talent for disguise as a giraffe in dark glasses trying to get into a "Polar bears only" golf club! Bob"
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,229
    Nigelb said:

Re. industrial decline:

A very good book

What caused the change ?
    WW1 attrition rate for junior officers?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    boulay said:

I’ve just seen a strange size comparison in a news report about a fin whale seen off the coast here - “about the length of two and a half double decker buses”. Why use double decker buses? Surely single deckers are perfectly good for measuring length. Journalists these days.

Because single decker = anything from a minibus to a Boris Bus (indeed a Boris Bus can be a cardboard box, a single body painted red with a political slogan, or two buses flexibly connected head to tail, so even that isn't clear).

Double deckers are relatively more stable dimensionally (though we get longer ones in Lothian if you are into that sort of thing: I am not clear on the details, except they are longer and have 6 wheels).
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,573
    Have I missed today’s Russian troll?

Bugger it.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,651
    ydoethur said:

Bugger it.

He Bobbed in and out rather speedily.
  • Options
    Bob said:

Foxy said:

Bob said:

Mind you the republicans in the us are now coming out with this.

US Congressman

@RonJohnsonWI

alleges that covid was “pre-planned by an elite group of people. Event 201”. In reference to the John’s Hopkins Center tabletop exercise with the WEF and the Gates Foundation.

This was live on fox business.

https://twitter.com/WarClandestine/status/1690024961535004672?s=20
    We know you guys have pals in the GOP.
    Is it good tradecraft to point that out, though ?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    What is an Englishman to do when his two mortal enemies, France and Australia, play each other?

Sometimes I thank the Lord I'm Welsh.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,198

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

GDP per head uses (I assume) the mean. Perhaps using the median would be more illuminating.

Impossible to work out how much each individual has contributed to GDP surely?
    And, perhaps more germanely, what each individual has gained from it.
    That's easier and stats are available:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/householddisposableincomeandinequality/financialyearending2022
    F***ing brilliant, @Benpointer! That is the last piece of an article I wish to write! Thank you so much!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

This football is drearily poor. Like watching non league men’s football on a wet muddy pitch in Feb 1978

For some inexplicable reason I can't imagine that you have ever done that.
    And you’d be wrong. I have

I grew up in quite a poor if pretty part of provincial England. Herefordshire
    I know. I remember you telling us about your background. I was just having fun at your expense. I could just imagine you sitting in a marquee being served your chilled Chablis and eating your oysters while watching 22 men rolling around in the mud.
    Oh and just to make clear @leon I am aware that you are not posh nor a snob, but just enjoy the finer things in life. All positive qualities. It was just the image I had following your post.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Bugger it.

He Bobbed in and out rather speedily.
    Is Bob a Job still a thing?

If so, Moscow was rather ripped off there.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

I'm not trolling, no, so there's no need for the lol treatment. I'm just saying how *ideally* I'd like things to pan out. Of course it won't go exactly like that, our politics being what it is, but I hope things develop in broadly that direction, and I think they might.
  • Options

What is an Englishman to do when his two mortal enemies, France and Australia, play each other?

Sometimes I thank the Lord I'm Welsh.

Support Australia. Ultimately they are our half brothers across the world. FAMILY

You can sometimes hate your siblings but they’re still family

France is the neighbours. Sometimes charming, often annoying, always petulant
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    kinabalu said:

Tres said:

kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

Well I didn't say that phrase - but I think you can use these words (trauma, tragedy, atrocity etc) to describe things that aren't compared to things that truly are. Otherwise you end up with a rather bland and neutered vocabulary for discussing life here in the UK. Because all our problems are 1st world problems, let's face it. None of them amount to a hill of beans compared to all the places (Ukraine being one of many) ravaged by war, persecution and abject poverty.
    Disagree entirely. First world problems should be described in soft and neutered language, with terms such as atrocity, poverty and genocide, reserved for actual atrocity, poverty and genocide.

A huge part of the recent political polarisation, comes from the use of needlessly catastrophic language. A tax rate moving by 2% isn’t a war or a terrorist attack, and politics suffers when we describe it as such.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,293
    @CJTerry

A sizeable chunk of the reason UKIP rose up 10 years ago as
    @robfordmancs
    amongst others kept noting is that the then Conservatives made strong promises on immigration they couldn't keep, hurting trust on the issue. So I guess we've all learned a lot since then.

https://twitter.com/CJTerry/status/1690300659289980928
  • Options
    @georgeeaton

“Brexit is a trade war by the UK on itself”

My interview with former MPC member
    @AdamPosen
    on how the UK became so poor.

https://twitter.com/georgeeaton/status/1690278874083467264?s=20
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

I'm not trolling, no, so there's no need for the lol treatment. I'm just saying how *ideally* I'd like things to pan out. Of course it won't go exactly like that, our politics being what it is, but I hope things develop in broadly that direction, and I think they might.
    There’s no way you can sneak Actual Rejoining of the EU past the people. It will require a referendum, and before that referendum will be years of drama. The formal request for membership. The debate in the EU. The demands of each EU nation. The question of euro and Schengen. The likely vetoes from France or Ireland or Greece in a bad mood

You simply can’t wish all this agony away, and it is one reason we will never even try to Rejoin
  • Options
    Come on, Colombi... er, I mean England! (Oooops!)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,278
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Parody Rishi Sunak
    @Parody_PM
    ·
    13m

1.6bn?!

Looks like the Scottish government has settled with a deal for 12.4% and a deal to at least match CPI for the next 3 years.

Instead, Barclay and Sunak have spent £1 billion on agency cover, taken a hit on GDP (according to the ONS) and gone backwards on waiting lists. Meanwhile the dispute becomes more bitter and intractable, hitting staff morale and retention.

The Tories really don't like market forces when they favour the workers.
    If the UK government gave doctors a 12% well above inflation pay rise like the Scottish government then teachers, nurses, the police and fire service and civil servants and train drivers would be demanding the same.

All the Scottish government is doing is likely increasing inflation in Scotland relative to England
  • Options
    What a TERRIBLE national anthem.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

There’s no way you can sneak Actual Rejoining of the EU past the people. It will require a referendum, and before that referendum will be years of drama. The formal request for membership. The debate in the EU. The demands of each EU nation. The question of euro and Schengen. The likely vetoes from France or Ireland or Greece in a bad mood

You simply can’t wish all this agony away, and it is one reason we will never even try to Rejoin
    Indeed and Starmer has zero interest in rejoin now anyway, indeed his current policy is little different to what Theresa May's Brexit policy was.

If and only if Labour win back the redwall seats at the next general election and then are clearly ahead in the polls for most of their time in government will they even consider rejoining the EEA let alone the EU.

It would likely take a Labour government in power for a decade or a hung parliament with the LDs or SNP holding the balance of power for rejoining the EU to be on the agenda at all
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Indeed.

The sooner we replace God Save The King the better.
  • Options

Miklosvar said:

Indeed.

It’s been the anthem for less than a year, and you’re fed up with it already?
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Agree. Colombia's was so much better.
  • Options
    Bob said:

I wouldn't classify this as being anti-vax.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,512
    Bob said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Parody Rishi Sunak
    @Parody_PM
    ·
    13m

1.6bn?!

No disrespecr but many doctors could do with losing the arrogance. Im sure you are a nice doctor though foxy.
    Today Is Saturday Watch And Suffer.

Saturday is TISWAS, never a day to miss 'cos Saturday is Russian Troll day.
  • Options

Miklosvar said:

Indeed.

Personally I actually agree on that, Jerusalem should be the English national anthem when England play sport for the King is King of Scotland, Wales, NI, Australia, Canada and NZ too not just England.

God Save the King should be reserved for sports the UK as a whole plays as one team like the Olympics or Davis Cup or for events when the King or a member of the royal family is in attendance alongside the national anthems
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Parody Rishi Sunak
    @Parody_PM
    ·
    13m

1.6bn?!

Looks like the Scottish government has settled with a deal for 12.4% and a deal to at least match CPI for the next 3 years.

Instead, Barclay and Sunak have spent £1 billion on agency cover, taken a hit on GDP (according to the ONS) and gone backwards on waiting lists. Meanwhile the dispute becomes more bitter and intractable, hitting staff morale and retention.

If the UK government gave doctors a 12% well above inflation pay rise like the Scottish government then teachers, nurses, the police and fire service and civil servants and train drivers would be demanding the same.

All the Scottish government is doing is likely increasing inflation in Scotland relative to England
    Yes, but would have ended the dispute, would have saved money, and be in a position to improve waiting lists.

The Sunak government really isn't up to much.
  • Options

Miklosvar said:

Agree. Colombia's was so much better.
    LOL but really, more key and tempo changes than Gabriel-era Genesis, and Colombia ain't Wales when it comes to singing.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ghedebrav said:

Why would they have to "sneak" it past people? According to the poll it is 2:1 in favour of rejoining. When it gets to 3:1 or 4:1 will they still have to "sneak" it in?

If the country wants it then it will happen and the fact that we threw away all the advantages we had negotiated over the years is entirely our own fault.
  • Options
    UKIP colours unsettling
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,408
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

FF43 said:

Carnyx said:

Parody Rishi Sunak
    @Parody_PM
    ·
    13m

1.6bn?!

Lol, an economist speaks.
    Can you tell me where I can find numbers for 'Scottish' inflation?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,258
    edited August 2023
    Smoke over the Crimea Bridge always brings me joy:

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1690306918256873473

Usual caveats apply; might just be the Russians playing about, or the bridge deciding it's had enough of all this rubbish and it just wants a nice peaceful sleep on the (sea) bed...

Edit: "At least one span fell on the bridge and another small ship was hit" - Crimean local chats
  • Options
    Leon said:

There’s no way you can sneak Actual Rejoining of the EU past the people.

Brexit is the only Country in history imposing economic sanctions on itself.

While some who voted for it will continue to whine, "the people" demand relief.
This discussion has been closed.