Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Another tricky by-election defence for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,384
    edited June 2023
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Who is Plato?

Plato was an ancient Greek philosopher, a student of Socrates, the teacher of Aristotle, and founder of the Academy, best known as the author of philosophical works of unparalleled influence. What are they teaching people these days?
    I studied Philosophy for two years.
    And you Kant remember who Plato was?
    Hegel far.

Apols, that's dreadful.
    It is. You should be Locked up.
    I'll see if I can Russell up a better one.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

glw said:

I know the Telegraph is a joke but this reads like a parody.

The mortgage bomb about to explode under middle-class Britain

The mercury is rising and so are interest rates: the scene appears to be set for a midsummer nightmare in the mortgage market. With nearly half a million home loan borrowers rolling their fixed-term loans every three months over the course of this year, the ratchet is tightening. As someone wryly pointed out on Twitter recently, “When does your fixed rate end?” has become the new “Have you watched any good box sets recently?” go-to dinner party conversation starter.

Don’t ask Adam Fraser*, 42, and his wife, who bought their £7 million house in Berkshire in July last year having secured a mortgage in the January. “It was at the tail end of when there were still good deals to be had,” says Fraser. “We passed our affordability test with flying colours and so I had no problem buying at the top of the market.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/mortgages/mortgage-bomb-middle-class-britain/

If that's the Telegraph's idea of middle class then I must be working class.
    Journalists routintely talk about a middle-class that by any normal definition is usually the upper quintile. This has been the case for as long as I can recall. The very people who journalists think need help are the group that basically needs no help at all and ought to be paying more tax.
    I did laugh at the idea the Telegraph goes to interview these multi-millionaires who we are apparently supposed to feel sympathy for. It does rather explain their current position if this is what they think the country wants to hear.
    Won't no one think of the mega-rich, in desperate need of tax cuts in order to pay £45 000 per year school fees?

I recall a US commentator arguing in a debate that 250k per year in New York was close to poverty. Those poor people.
    There was this hilarious bit on BBC QT with Richard Burgon and an audience member too:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/question-time-video-man-top-earners-tax-percent-80000-explained-a9213351.html
    Richard Burgon was correct and handled it well.

Words not often spoken.
    He didn't handle it brilliantly. The host did. She asked the question that turned it around onto the audience member and properly drew out the lie/mistake.

The audience guy was a fucking idiot. "I earn £80,000 and I'm not in the top 50%". What a moron.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,548

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Who is Plato?

Plato was an ancient Greek philosopher, a student of Socrates, the teacher of Aristotle, and founder of the Academy, best known as the author of philosophical works of unparalleled influence. What are they teaching people these days?
    Hegel far.

Apols, that's dreadful.
    I hope so. These are a bit run of the Mill.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,084

Dura_Ace said:

Who is Plato?

Weird woman on here who went full MAGA shitbird then died.
    Before that she was "Poster of the Year".
    Certainy not something that would ever be awarded to Dura Ace if it was still in existence.
    I’m pretty much 99.9% sure he would spit in the eye of anyone who said he should be awarded it.
    If I ever thought my antinomianistic contributions were considered sufficiently worthy by the bourgeois knicker shitters on here to trouble the PotY selection committee I would never post again.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    edited June 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Westie said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65941549

Michael Gove says sorry over Tory lockdown party video

What an absolute bunch of twats.

Has anyone ever denied that Michael Gove is a complete twat?

More to the point, did anyone at elite level in ANY part of British society BELIEVE all the government crap, served up for the proles and middle groups by white-coated scientists, advising people who WEREN'T chronically ill or in small high-risk groups that they should stay 2 metres away from everyone, and only leave the house to go shopping, and walk around wearing masks, in order to reduce the ever so high risk of spreading the killer lergy?
    Seems quite obvious now that lockdown was a complete and utter waste of time, we should have protected the vulnerable and elderly with proper care and attention as they rightfully deserve and then let the rest of society get on with our lives. I am so angry that I put my life on hold for two years when the Government didn't care.
    I was saying this right from the beginning, and throughout the entire period of the lockdowns. 1,000 people died directly from Covid-19 in the UK, the rest were people who already had conditions. Closing schools was going to do more damage than the virus itself.
    People with conditions are still PEOPLE. They wouldn’t have died were it not for COVID.

Did anyone say they weren't?
    You are basically saying that. You're not simply saying lockdowns did more damage than they prevented, because you are arbitrarily and without foundation claiming so few people died as a result of covid. You cannot make an honest assessment of the damage when you claim less than 1% of Covid deaths were really Covid deaths.

No doubt you have some deep conspiracy behind why others would claim more than 1000 people died as a result of Covid. It's so easy to cover up magnifying the facts like that, thank god there are people exposing the deep state who just love upping covid figures from random deaths.

The good news is if you move to North West Leicestershire there's at least one MP on your side.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,581

Andy_JS said:

Who is Plato?

She was one of the main posters on here until about 2016. Another one was a bloke called RodCrosby.
    I do wonder why some PBers disappear.

Anyone heard from HurstLlama ?

His twitter account stopped last December:

https://twitter.com/HurstLlama
    I believe that Plato passed away. Crosby got a permanent ban iirc.

I've no info on HurstLlama.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,161
    edited June 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

Every helicopter ever built is vulnerable to MANPAD.

The Chinese Navy deal for Ka-52K is still on but the PLAAF have cooled their interest due to progress on their Z-10 project.

They Egyptians like their Nile Crocodiles; so much that the US had to sell them AH-64 (over the objections of Israel) to stop them buying more. Ka-52 has been an export failure though, especially compared to the (deeply flawed) Hind that proceeded it.

For all those of you who don't speak @Dura_Ace, let me translate

Every helicopter ever built is vulnerable to MANPAD (shoulder launched missiles that can kill low-flying aircraft).

The Chinese Navy deal for Ka-52K (a Russian ground attack helicopter) is still on but the PLAAF (People's Liberation Army Airforce - Chinese Army helicopters) have cooled their interest due to progress on their Z-10 project (a Chinese-built helicopter).

They Egyptians like their Nile Crocodiles ("Crocodile" is an unofficial name for the KA-52 helicopters exported to Egypt); so much that the US had to sell them AH-64 (a famous American ground attack helicopter, codenamed "Apache") over the objections of Israel to stop them buying more. Ka-52 has been an export failure though, especially compared to the deeply flawed Hind ( a famous Soviet-era helicopter and star of 80/90's action films) that proceeded [sic] it.

Incidentally, Kamov (a Russian design bureau) has an in-house style whereby its helicopters have two sets of contra-rotating rotors co-axially or near co-axially, enabling them to have tailplanes (flat winglets at the back that stick out).
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,402
    malcolmg said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who is Plato?

Certainy not something that would ever be awarded to Dura Ace if it was still in existence.
    I like his eclectic posting, blunt and to the point.
    A bit like your good self, Malc.👍

I too like his posts. Says what he thinks. Doesn’t give a shit either way.

This place would be poorer without him.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079

malcolmg said:

Westie said:

More to the point, did anyone at elite level in ANY part of British society BELIEVE all the government crap, served up for the proles and middle groups by white-coated scientists, advising people who WEREN'T chronically ill or in small high-risk groups that they should stay 2 metres away from everyone, and only leave the house to go shopping, and walk around wearing masks, in order to reduce the ever so high risk of spreading the killer lergy?
    Seems quite obvious now that lockdown was a complete and utter waste of time, we should have protected the vulnerable and elderly with proper care and attention as they rightfully deserve and then let the rest of society get on with our lives. I am so angry that I put my life on hold for two years when the Government didn't care.
    Utter nonsense. Infections would have spiralled out of control, the NHS would have been completely overwhelmed and tens of thousands more would have died.

How did Sweden survive in that case
    Far lower population density. Compare Sweden with its neightbours in Norway or even Denmark to see how badly they fared. Then extrapolate that from a population density that is more than 12 times larger.
    Population density is misleading when thinking about how people live. Australia has 3.5 people per square kilometre, but 90% of them live in cities or large towns. Covid doesn't care about how much of your national territory is vast sparsely populated deserts and mountains ranges. Sweden, Norway, Australia and the UK all have broadly similar urbanisation levels.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Who is Plato?

If they didn’t tell you who Plato was I’d ask for my money back. Presumably you were filled to the brim with “woke”, Plato being too dead white male. Wouldn’t have happened in my day!
    Plato inventor of the plate, according to Dave Lister.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Who is Plato?

She was one of the main posters on here until about 2016. Another one was a bloke called RodCrosby.

Still posting on Twitter in January.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Who is Plato?

Hegel far.

Apols, that's dreadful.
    I knew eventually Heidegger few people on to make some puns.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

glw said:

The mercury is rising and so are interest rates: the scene appears to be set for a midsummer nightmare in the mortgage market. With nearly half a million home loan borrowers rolling their fixed-term loans every three months over the course of this year, the ratchet is tightening. As someone wryly pointed out on Twitter recently, “When does your fixed rate end?” has become the new “Have you watched any good box sets recently?” go-to dinner party conversation starter.

Don’t ask Adam Fraser*, 42, and his wife, who bought their £7 million house in Berkshire in July last year having secured a mortgage in the January. “It was at the tail end of when there were still good deals to be had,” says Fraser. “We passed our affordability test with flying colours and so I had no problem buying at the top of the market.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/mortgages/mortgage-bomb-middle-class-britain/

Journalists routintely talk about a middle-class that by any normal definition is usually the upper quintile. This has been the case for as long as I can recall. The very people who journalists think need help are the group that basically needs no help at all and ought to be paying more tax.
    I did laugh at the idea the Telegraph goes to interview these multi-millionaires who we are apparently supposed to feel sympathy for. It does rather explain their current position if this is what they think the country wants to hear.
    Won't no one think of the mega-rich, in desperate need of tax cuts in order to pay £45 000 per year school fees?

I recall a US commentator arguing in a debate that 250k per year in New York was close to poverty. Those poor people.
    There was this hilarious bit on BBC QT with Richard Burgon and an audience member too:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/question-time-video-man-top-earners-tax-percent-80000-explained-a9213351.html

Words not often spoken.
    He didn't handle it brilliantly. The host did. She asked the question that turned it around onto the audience member and properly drew out the lie/mistake.

The audience guy was a fucking idiot. "I earn £80,000 and I'm not in the top 50%". What a moron.
    I said well, not brilliantly - based on the report.
  • Options
    Again, taking Bairstow out of the equation brings a breakthrough.

Too late though.

Fantastic innings by Khawaja.
  • Options
    Taz said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Who is Plato?

If they didn’t tell you who Plato was I’d ask for my money back. Presumably you were filled to the brim with “woke”, Plato being too dead white male. Wouldn’t have happened in my day!
    Plato inventor of the plate, according to Dave Lister.
    Holly said that, when announcing the Holly Hop Drive
  • Options
    Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Who is Plato?

He never said he passed !!

That’s a gag from Dr Who, in case anyone thinks it’s a dog as I like CHB
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154
    Andy_JS said:

It's not surprising that people in Clacton are bitter, because the politicians haven't made much effort to deliver on their promises.

Full employment, pay rises, extra NHS spending and control taken back.

They've had what they were promised - did anyone believe we would immediately and effortlessly get some socioeconomic paradise with all the country's fundamental issues being solved ?

Now if the government choses to do something they don't want or is incompetent then that's the fault of the government not with having taken back control.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Who is Plato?

Hegel far.

Apols, that's dreadful.
    VG.

Now do Ludwig W.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    edited June 2023
    Khawaja finally gone! 1st innings scores likely to be close now.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

glw said:

Words not often spoken.

I've just had messages from other posters.

They say these really bad and contrived philosopher puns have bent 'em out.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who is Plato?

I’m pretty much 99.9% sure he would spit in the eye of anyone who said he should be awarded it.
    If I ever thought my antinomianistic contributions were considered sufficiently worthy by the bourgeois knicker shitters on here to trouble the PotY selection committee I would never post again.
    You suffer from a breakdown in the balance of your control and release mechanisms and from the permeability of your body boundaries
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

It's not surprising that people in Clacton are bitter, because the politicians haven't made much effort to deliver on their promises.

Full employment, pay rises, extra NHS spending and control taken back.

They've had what they were promised - did anyone believe we would immediately and effortlessly get some socioeconomic paradise with all the country's fundamental issues being solved ?

Now if the government choses to do something they don't want or is incompetent then that's the fault of the government not with having taken back control.
    The government is too busy magnifying its failure by claiming 100 times more people died of Covid than did to sort out problems for the people.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079
    What MIGHT matter about Sweden, Norway, Japan is that they're less tactile societies; not a lot of cheek kissing.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I somehow missed this one - what a card, eh?

@Guto_Harri reveals on his @LBC podcast @BorisJohnson's private verdict last year on allegations of sexual harassment by MPs:
    "As he put it in the heat of the moment: ‘If we took away the whip from everyone here, who's pinched someone's bottom, we'll lose our majority.’"

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1669239719249559552

It's ok though, because it was heat of the moment.

Huh? I suspect few on here have ever assaulted anyone in that way. If I tried that, I would expect to be both subsequently eating through a straw and summoned for an appointment with a magistrate.
    I must work on my irony.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,921
    edited June 2023
    I'm only slightly following the cricket because the real 5-day contest starts in Berkshire on Tuesday.

Could the spinners decide this tomorrow and Tuesday?

On to far more important sport and Royal Ascot kicks off with three Group 1 races:

QUEEN ANNE: No Baaeed this year and the question is whether the ground will be too quick for INSPIRAL. She ran badly on quick ground in the Falmouth last July and a storm or two would help. MODERN GAMES just beat CHINDIT in the Lockinge but the latter loves the track and is the each way call at 14s.

KING'S STAND: As much as the cricket is an England-Australia battle, the same is true here with Aussie sprinters COOLANGATTA and CANNONBALL taking on the fillies HIGHFIELD PRINCESS and DRAMATISED. We know the Aussie sprinters are fast and love fast ground. COOLANGATTA is my choice - if you want one at a price, BRADSELL ran at Haydock as though five furlongs was his trip and he's backable eachway at 25s.

ST JAMES'S PALACE:The clash of the English and Irish 2000 Guineas winners and there's not much between them on a line through Hi Royal. However, neither is proven on quick ground and I smell an upset - INDESTRUCTIBLE was good in the Craven but didn't enjoy the soft ground on Guineas day. As a juvenile he went well on quick ground but I cannot believe GALERON is 33s. He had fast ground form as a juvenile, was a decent fourth in the English Guineas and an unlucky fifth in Ireland.

So, my three big price each way fancies as follows:

CHINDIT (14s)
    BRADSELL (25s)
    GALERON (33s)

Not saying any of them will win but get a couple in the frame and you'll be well ahead - check what odds and places your bookie is offering.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,089
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Foxy said:

glw said:

Words not often spoken.

I've just had messages from other posters.

They say these really bad and contrived philosopher puns have bent 'em out.
    Feyerabend? must be painful.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,126
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jun/18/honours-row-grows-after-claim-charlotte-owen-worked-as-maternity-cover

Mm, hadn't realised that the new Baroness Owen got the [edit] peerage for being maternity cover.

That is disturbingly open to a number of interpretations.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Australia about to show the value of a tailender whackabout rather than cutting off early, I suspect.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

@Guto_Harri reveals on his @LBC podcast @BorisJohnson's private verdict last year on allegations of sexual harassment by MPs:
    "As he put it in the heat of the moment: ‘If we took away the whip from everyone here, who's pinched someone's bottom, we'll lose our majority.’"

Huh? I suspect few on here have ever assaulted anyone in that way. If I tried that, I would expect to be both subsequently eating through a straw and summoned for an appointment with a magistrate.
    I must work on my irony.
    Why? Has it got rusty?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,581
    @Tomorrow'sMPs
    @tomorrowsmps
    ·
    1h
    🔵SOMERTON & FROME: two names floated by me as possible Conservative candidates for the by-election - both of them Somerset councillors - are Lucy Trimnell and Faye Purbrick. Please DM if you know of others.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,371
    EPG said:

malcolmg said:

Westie said:

Utter nonsense. Infections would have spiralled out of control, the NHS would have been completely overwhelmed and tens of thousands more would have died.

Far lower population density. Compare Sweden with its neightbours in Norway or even Denmark to see how badly they fared. Then extrapolate that from a population density that is more than 12 times larger.
    Population density is misleading when thinking about how people live. Australia has 3.5 people per square kilometre, but 90% of them live in cities or large towns. Covid doesn't care about how much of your national territory is vast sparsely populated deserts and mountains ranges. Sweden, Norway, Australia and the UK all have broadly similar urbanisation levels.
    IIRC Oliver Johnson, of the @bristoliver Twitter account that was very useful in the pandemic, came up with a mathematical solution to the issue low of low density populations overall but high urbanisation. Most of Australia is so sparsely populated it may as well be regarded as being part of the ocean. Most people there live in small coastal pockets.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/jun/18/honours-row-grows-after-claim-charlotte-owen-worked-as-maternity-cover

Mm, hadn't realised that the new Baroness Owen got the [edit] peerage for being maternity cover.

The report or my wording? In the latter case, it wasn't intentional - but the matter remains odd.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

I was amused by this comment:

She was in the shadows but was a serious player but never wanted to be in the limelight like so many inferior people.

Giving the game away...

Although I wonder how many people thought she was being elevated for reasons linked to maternity?
    Sir Dudley Dudders is the one that gets me.
    In Shakespeare's he'd be a rude mechanical rather than a knight.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Who is Plato?

Pause

Pause

DAMMIT!

OK, which episode? It sounds like Adams/Baker era.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Who is Plato?

Don't worry.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,789
    Foxy said:

malcolmg said:

Westie said:

One thing different is that the NHS runs at bed occupancy rates (really an issue of estate and staffing rather than beds themselves) far higher than other countries. This has been deliberate government policy to control spending under all governments.

While this looks like a "lean organisation" to management theorists, it does mean that surge activity can only be achieved by stopping elective work (such as orthopaedics) in order to meet emergency demand.

That high "bed occupancy rate" is also why we are struggling much more with post covid backlogs than other countries. We simply don't have the physical and workforce infrastructure to catch up with that work as fast as Germany or Sweden.
    Looks like a "lean organisation" to *incompetent* management theorists.

Using metrics from *1900s* management theory, it is easily demonstrable that a health service requires excess capacity in various areas, to deal with the certain eventuality of emergency demand.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

The report or my wording? In the latter case, it wasn't intentional - but the matter remains odd.
    "Maternity cover".
    For whom, and for what purpose ?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

A

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

Are the Russians preparing to claim victory and then fuck off out of Ukraine?

"The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent
    ⚡ Kremlin spokesman claims Ukraine largely 'demilitarized'.

Kremlin press secretary Dmitriy Peskov claimed that Russia's goal of "demilitarizing" Ukraine was largely completed, saying that it was using "fewer and fewer of its own weapons" and increasingly relying on weapons provided by the West."

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1670168560700735489

Would be one way to end the war before the Russian army completely disintegrates.

It would indeed - were the Russians to unilaterally and completely withdraw from all Ukrainian territory, including the Crimea, I doubt there'd be many calling it anything other than a victory for Zelenskyy. However, if Putin wants to sell something different to his people, that's his business I suppose.
    I doubt if he'd be able to. Ultimately, withdrawing would be seen as a failure.

It might not lead to his overthrow by the people, but I can imagine manoeuvres in the Kremlin would intensify.
    Russia seems to be on the upswing at the moment, using attack helicopters to fire air to ground and anti-tank missiles. This might provide Moscow with a chance to initiate peace talks on more favourable terms before Ukraine is supplied the wherewithal to shoot them down.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/06/17/russian-attack-helicopters-upper-hand-southern-ukraine/ (£££)
    Apparently they found some wherewithal:
    https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/06/18/7407334/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=[twitter]&utm_campaign=[rogue_corq]
    Given that the Ukrainians have committed only a fraction of their forces so far, I think it's obvious that this phase is about assessing how the Russians defend against counterattack, working out the extent to which what they do can be countered, and adjusting plans accordingly.
    The Ukrainians, since the beginning of the war have been knocking down the Russian attack helicopters in numbers. It was notable that China cancelled an order, apparently due to vulnerability to shoulder fired missiles.

The Chinese Navy deal for Ka-52K is still on but the PLAAF have cooled their interest due to progress on their Z-10 project.

They Egyptians like their Nile Crocodiles; so much that the US had to sell them AH-64 (over the objections of Israel) to stop them buying more. Ka-52 has been an export failure though, especially compared to the (deeply flawed) Hind that proceeded it.
    I understand literally none of this. Is it something to do with cryptocurrency?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

A

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

"The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

Kremlin press secretary Dmitriy Peskov claimed that Russia's goal of "demilitarizing" Ukraine was largely completed, saying that it was using "fewer and fewer of its own weapons" and increasingly relying on weapons provided by the West."

Would be one way to end the war before the Russian army completely disintegrates.

It would indeed - were the Russians to unilaterally and completely withdraw from all Ukrainian territory, including the Crimea, I doubt there'd be many calling it anything other than a victory for Zelenskyy. However, if Putin wants to sell something different to his people, that's his business I suppose.

It might not lead to his overthrow by the people, but I can imagine manoeuvres in the Kremlin would intensify.
    Russia seems to be on the upswing at the moment, using attack helicopters to fire air to ground and anti-tank missiles. This might provide Moscow with a chance to initiate peace talks on more favourable terms before Ukraine is supplied the wherewithal to shoot them down.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/06/17/russian-attack-helicopters-upper-hand-southern-ukraine/ (£££)
    https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/06/18/7407334/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=[twitter]&utm_campaign=[rogue_corq]
    Given that the Ukrainians have committed only a fraction of their forces so far, I think it's obvious that this phase is about assessing how the Russians defend against counterattack, working out the extent to which what they do can be countered, and adjusting plans accordingly.
    The Ukrainians, since the beginning of the war have been knocking down the Russian attack helicopters in numbers. It was notable that China cancelled an order, apparently due to vulnerability to shoulder fired missiles.

I translated above https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4439891/#Comment_4439891
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Who is Plato?

Hegel far.

Apols, that's dreadful.
    VG.

Now do Ludwig W.
    You'd need to have a wit in stein-sized measures to achieve that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

"Maternity cover".
    For whom, and for what purpose ?
    The BJ interpretation of 'wet nurse' possibly applies.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,789

Andy_JS said:

Westie said:

I was saying this right from the beginning, and throughout the entire period of the lockdowns. 1,000 people died directly from Covid-19 in the UK, the rest were people who already had conditions. Closing schools was going to do more damage than the virus itself.
    Um - to get that number, you have to discount people who had anything other than a bald one-liner of "Covid-19"

For example, someone who died from:

Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
    caused by
    Viral pneumonia
    caused by
    Covid-19

... is NOT someone who "died directly from Covid-19", in those criteria. Because it had ARDS and pneumonia on their death certificate.
    And I'm not taking the piss. That's literally what they had to do to get this number. Seriously.

They've switched to monitoring covid-19 deaths against death certificates, of which more than 80% had covid-19 as the CAUSE of death. That's over 130,000 deaths due to covid-19 (not with "incidental" covid-19, or just happened to push dying people over the edge sort of things) by April 2021*, as the winter wave finally receded.

I think you've been listening to the Toby Youngs, Ivor Cummins, and the like a bit too much.

*There are over 220,000 with covid on death certificates as of now, but the proportion dying "of covid" rather than "with covid" did decrease noticeably since the vaccine roll-out, thank God.
    You do not understand how death certificates works.
    Could you explain my misunderstanding?

That would be a lengthy discussion, but probably it comes down to some mixture of stupidity and a desire to believe in partisan fantasies.
    ???

Are you confusing Andys here?

I am not Andy_JS, and he is not me.

My stance is that to get that ridiculously small number, you have to only take death certificates that were filled out incorrectly and only state the words Covid-19 on them, rather than the sequence that led to the death of which Covid-19 was the underlying cause.
    My apologies. I confused Andys.
    Which ones dad sells raspberries?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Australia about to show the value of a tailender whackabout rather than cutting off early, I suspect.
    Thanks for that prediction!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,921

@Tomorrow'sMPs
    @tomorrowsmps
    ·
    1h
    🔵SOMERTON & FROME: two names floated by me as possible Conservative candidates for the by-election - both of them Somerset councillors - are Lucy Trimnell and Faye Purbrick. Please DM if you know of others.

I may be wrong but Lucy Trimnell's division is in the constituency while Faye Purbrick's is in Yeovil.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,140
    The LDs would probably prefer the Somerton&Frome and Mid Beds by-elections not to be held on the same day, given how they like to concentrate all their activists in one place.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The LDs would probably prefer the Somerton&Frome and Mid Beds by-elections not to be held on the same day, given how they like to concentrate all their activists in one place.

Why wouldn't the Conservatives feel the same way?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

England took it Lyon down.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Boland down too.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,229
    EPG said:

What MIGHT matter about Sweden, Norway, Japan is that they're less tactile societies; not a lot of cheek kissing.

Also, they don't have much singing in church.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Boland down too.
    Bowl and catch.

But now, alas Cummins has got goings.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Why wouldn't the Conservatives feel the same way?
    The Tories don't approach by-elections in the same way as the LDs. They're not as good at organising for them as the LDs.
  • Options
    EPG said:

malcolmg said:

Westie said:

I always think of it like this: if the UK and Greenland merged, would that suddenly mean we all had a lot more space?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,845
    DougSeal said:

EPG said:

malcolmg said:

Westie said:

IIRC Oliver Johnson, of the @bristoliver Twitter account that was very useful in the pandemic, came up with a mathematical solution to the issue low of low density populations overall but high urbanisation. Most of Australia is so sparsely populated it may as well be regarded as being part of the ocean. Most people there live in small coastal pockets.
    Australia is one of the most urbanized societies on earth. The Melbourne, Sydney and Gold Coast suburbs go on forever. Australia almost entirely lacks towns. You have the five or so conurbations plus a scattering of settlements.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Boland down too.
    Bowl and catch.

I’m claiming that.

Still a bit disappointing by England. They should have had a lead of more than 7. They need to bat very much better here and unfortunately the conditions are about to sour on them.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    So who predicted England would lead after the first innings, following the declaration?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

malcolmg said:

Westie said:

I always think of it like this: if the UK and Greenland merged, would that suddenly mean we all had a lot more space?
    Or if Scotland left would you have a lot less space?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,563
    edited June 2023
    DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

A

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

"The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

See this article:

"Why do people use jargon to appear knowledgeable"

https://www.hamessharley.com.au/knowledge/jargon

Also see this article about how a profession uses jargon " to make themselves sound smarter than you (you being the client ...). It does nothing to inform or enlighten ... and mostly serves to numb them into obedience or self doubt"

https://slate.com/culture/2011/02/architecture-speak-an-essay-on-the-ridiculous-way-architects-talk.html

Also see lawyers, politicians, financiers, etc. etc. etc.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Who is Plato?

Plato's obituary is here: https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4439803#Comment_4439803
  • Options
    Fishing said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

A

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

"The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

See this article:

Also see this article about how a profession uses jargon " to make themselves sound smarter than you (you being the client ...). It does nothing to inform or enlighten ... and mostly serves to numb them into obedience or self doubt"

https://slate.com/culture/2011/02/architecture-speak-an-essay-on-the-ridiculous-way-architects-talk.html

It’s the same as the ever-changing academic woke-speak, simply designed to create in-groups and out-groups.

Many industries are the same, with inpenetrable gobbledegook. I once tried to write a header on the impact of the end of EU membership on aviation, and quickly got caught up in acronym soup that was undecipherable to the lay person.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    William is to abdicate.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,779
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Boland down too.
    Bowl and catch.

I’m claiming that.

Still a bit disappointing by England. They should have had a lead of more than 7. They need to bat very much better here and unfortunately the conditions are about to sour on them.
    They score 500 in the next 5 sessions, put Oz in on Monday night for an aperitif, and everyone boasting about their £25 5th-day ticket will be happy. You read it here first (and probably never again).
  • Options

William is to abdicate.

Didn't know he was king.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,473
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

He probably was thinking ‘all of them have shaken hands with me so they’ve all touched an arse.’

You could substitute "arse" for any number of four lettered profanities for both male and female genitalia. All would work.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

A

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

"The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

See this article:

It’s the same as the ever-changing academic woke-speak, simply designed to create in-groups and out-groups.

Many industries are the same, with inpenetrable gobbledegook. I once tried to write a header on the impact of the end of EU membership on aviation, and quickly got caught up in acronym soup that was undecipherable to the lay person.
    I don't think its intention is usually to exclude. Imagine if you worked with lasers and you constantly had to say "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation" instead of "laser". Imagine if you wanted to have a debate about the contributions of United Nations agencies but you kept having to say in full "United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization".

Jargon is created to help. Yes it results in confusion and exclusion sometimes and that can sometimes be deliberately misused to do that, but it's not its purpose.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Boland down too.
    Bowl and catch.

I’m claiming that.

They score 500 in the next 5 sessions, put Oz in on Monday night for an aperitif, and everyone boasting about their £25 5th-day ticket will be happy. You read it here first (and probably never again).
    Something else that’s been killed by the internet, the online sale of 5th day tickets. Many Monday mornings spent as a student getting ourselves to the ground at silly O’clock in the morning, to stand in line drinking beer waiting for free or £5 entry to the last day.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,779
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

Boland down too.
    Bowl and catch.

I’m claiming that.

Something else that’s been killed by the internet, the online sale of 5th day tickets. Many Monday mornings spent as a student getting ourselves to the ground at silly O’clock in the morning, to stand in line drinking beer waiting for free or £5 entry to the last day.
    But there was a sad case a few years ago when someone in Nottingham decided to bring four kids up to Lord's for the 5th day (at humungous expense) only to discover the place had been full since 6am.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,524
    Sandpit said:

So who predicted England would lead after the first innings, following the declaration?

I did but I have to confess that I had given up hope of that by close of play yesterday. Bazball continues to enthral.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

A

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

"The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

See this article:

Yep: only the other day I was working with a bunch of nuclear engineers on a new powerplant. And the bastards kept using words that no one would understand: things about "cooling rods" and "safety systems". I knew immediately they were just trying to pull the wool over my eyes by using jargon, and have replaced them with some blokes I met in the pub.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

A

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

"The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

See this article:

Most of those are the names iof weapons systems, not jargon. 'Nile Crocodile' is a nickname.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

A

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

"The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

See this article:

Yep: only the other day I was working with a bunch of nuclear engineers on a new powerplant. And the bastards kept using words that no one would understand: things about "cooling rods" and "safety systems". I knew immediately they were just trying to pull the wool over my eyes by using jargon, and have replaced them with some blokes I met in the pub.
    I still don’t understand why Egyptians have to buy Nile Crocodiles. Surely they’re native to Egypt, or are they endangered? And WTF is a MANPAD, some form of incontinence shield?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,156
    viewcode said:

Taz said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Who is Plato?

Pause

Pause

DAMMIT!

It's the 3rd Doctor if you want to narrow it down and still have a guess...
  • Options

William is to abdicate.

You've been reading Noatradumus again haven't you? The writing of Nostradamus is not necessarily factual. Reading and quoting Nostradamus is a bit like reading and quoting the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Fishing said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

A

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

"The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

See this article:

Most of those are the names iof weapons systems, not jargon. 'Nile Crocodile' is a nickname.

And very snappy too.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

William is to abdicate.

You've been reading Noatradumus again haven't you? The writing of Nostradamus is not necessarily factual. Reading and quoting Nostradamus is a bit like reading and quoting the Daily Mail.
    Did Nostradamus write a lot about house prices too?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

A

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

"The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

See this article:

I still don’t understand why Egyptians have to buy Nile Crocodiles. Surely they’re native to Egypt, or are they endangered? And WTF is a MANPAD, some form of incontinence shield?
    I translated earlier https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4439891/#Comment_4439891
  • Options
    viewcode said:

DougSeal said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

A

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

"The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

See this article:

I translated earlier https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4439891/#Comment_4439891
    Thanks, sorry, missed that
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Westie said:

Now that's a damascene conversion to match any on PB - you spent two years demanding more, longer and harder lockdowns.

Actually the first lockdown was necessary.

But the subsequent two could have been avoided if the government had restricted foreign holidays for a year.
    Am I not allowed to change my mind?
    I was never a lockdown enthusiast, and think they generally went on too long, albeit with relatively less restrictive features.

Worth noting that in the immediate aftermath of a true lockdown, cases often go up as family members are confined together, before dropping.

There was a lot of absurdity about wearing masks moving about in restaurants and pubs, but not while seated, one way systems, whether a Scotch Egg constitutes a meal etc.

Keeping schools and universities open would have presented its own problems, not least in transmission but also in the inevitable difficulties with teachers being off sick etc.

I think furlough etc went on far too long, and was the expensive bit, and prone to sharp practice like business support.

I don't think it will be needed again as Covid was a fairly unique pandemic in an immune naive population with a virus most infective while pre-symptomatic. We now have endemic covid but also herd immunity.

Novel viruses will happen, but it be different.

The evidence we have heard in the COVID Inquiry this week hints at the journey we needed to take was simply guesswork, because post EU Referendum there was a complete dereliction of duty by Government in pandemic planning. Now I know Johnson shills will counter by saying "yeah but, we did no worse than the average", which misses the point that up to 2016 we appeared to be ahead of the game.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725
    Westie said:

Westie said:

👍

For most of the population, though, I think the level of submissive obedience has risen. Yesterday I went on my morning run in a recreation ground (I'm away from home right now) and there was an organised run and they were going the other way around the park. Fine. Ample space for everyone. I made sure of course that I didn't get in the way of the other runners, but several of them kept telling me I was running in the wrong direction, apparently without it occurring to them that somebody might be running without taking part in their event. I never experienced that kind of thing before Covid. Also cyclists seem almost all to wear helmets nowadays. Without wanting to get into the helmet argument (I don't wear one but am not an extremist or bigot on the issue), I used to observe about 30% not wearing helmets, whereas now it's more like 1%. Something's changed and it's scary to think that the "new normal" is now the baseline for whatever shock comes next.
    What comes next?

Artificial General Intelligence
    Climate change spiralling out of control
    Extinction crisis for millions of species (the insects, the birds)
    DISCLOSURE of Non Human Intelligence: ALIENS

Dunno which comes first. All should arrive this decade. Disclosure, maybe

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070
    Am I right that England managed a whopping 22 overs this morning?
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

A

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

"The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

See this article:

You're one to talk.
    I didn't know any seals names Doug until you showed up.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

viewcode said:

Taz said:

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

Who is Plato?

Pause

Pause

DAMMIT!

It's the 3rd Doctor if you want to narrow it down and still have a guess...
    I googled. I did not find. Am sad :(

However I found this instead https://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog/category/eruditorum

So am now happy :)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Who is Plato?

@PLATO / PHILLIPA (?-2017?)

PlatoSaid last posted in March 2017 after her previous personas had been banned or malfunctioned. In real life she was a woman in her fifties called Philippa. Some people treat politics as a witty entertainment, but to their credit others give it their full measure and of those some are sadly lost in the giving. She started off with only tangential interest in politics but in her later years became more devoted to the wilder alt-right shores and left by mutual agreement. Nevertheless she was missed and several months later people started to comment on her absence, initially jokingly, then with more concern. Eventually her brother contacted OGH after finding a link and told him that she had died. Her friends and lived ones are not known to us, but even those who disagreed with her on PB will remember her fondly. [I used to do obituaries for PB members but Mike refused to publish it. It's about a year out of date now - somebody died in 2022 and I missed it - but it contains obits of five PBers]
    Why did Mike refuse to publish obits?

I can see the reason if people were anonymous and might prefer posthumous anonymity, too, but otherwise that’s an honourable thing to do. PB is a community. I genuinely miss long standing commenters when they depart to the Conservativehome in the Sky

Also I was quite mean in my arguments with Plato and still feel a little guilty. RIP
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,687
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

A

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

"The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

See this article:

"Everything that can be thought at all can be thought clearly. Everything that can be said can be said clearly."

Wittgenstein. (Who does not follow his own rule mostly).

It's a rule of thumb useful guide to whether something is gibberish masquerading as clever.

Also, I have found that people who really deeply know their stuff can do simplicity and clarity better than those who don't.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Fishing said:

DougSeal said:

Dura_Ace said:

A

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

stodge said:

"The Kyiv Independent
    @KyivIndependent

See this article:

It's possible to write about complex subjects without using jargon.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Westie said:

Now that's a damascene conversion to match any on PB - you spent two years demanding more, longer and harder lockdowns.

Actually the first lockdown was necessary.

But the subsequent two could have been avoided if the government had restricted foreign holidays for a year.
    Am I not allowed to change my mind?
    I was never a lockdown enthusiast, and think they generally went on too long, albeit with relatively less restrictive features.

Worth noting that in the immediate aftermath of a true lockdown, cases often go up as family members are confined together, before dropping.

There was a lot of absurdity about wearing masks moving about in restaurants and pubs, but not while seated, one way systems, whether a Scotch Egg constitutes a meal etc.

Keeping schools and universities open would have presented its own problems, not least in transmission but also in the inevitable difficulties with teachers being off sick etc.

I think furlough etc went on far too long, and was the expensive bit, and prone to sharp practice like business support.

I don't think it will be needed again as Covid was a fairly unique pandemic in an immune naive population with a virus most infective while pre-symptomatic. We now have endemic covid but also herd immunity.

Novel viruses will happen, but it be different.

The evidence we have heard in the COVID Inquiry this week hints at the journey we needed to take was simply guesswork, because post EU Referendum there was a complete dereliction of duty by Government in pandemic planning. Now I know Johnson shills will counter by saying "yeah but, we did no worse than the average", which misses the point that up to 2016 we appeared to be ahead of the game.
    So what are these pandemic preparation breakthroughs which somehow could have happened in 2017-19 but were otherwise missed ?

I thought the complaint was that the pandemic plan was good but inappropriate as it was focussed on influenza and having an inappropriate plan could have been worse than having no plan.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Westie said:

Westie said:

👍

For most of the population, though, I think the level of submissive obedience has risen. Yesterday I went on my morning run in a recreation ground (I'm away from home right now) and there was an organised run and they were going the other way around the park. Fine. Ample space for everyone. I made sure of course that I didn't get in the way of the other runners, but several of them kept telling me I was running in the wrong direction, apparently without it occurring to them that somebody might be running without taking part in their event. I never experienced that kind of thing before Covid. Also cyclists seem almost all to wear helmets nowadays. Without wanting to get into the helmet argument (I don't wear one but am not an extremist or bigot on the issue), I used to observe about 30% not wearing helmets, whereas now it's more like 1%. Something's changed and it's scary to think that the "new normal" is now the baseline for whatever shock comes next.
    What comes next?

But how will they affect house prices ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,702
    I've just seen the field for the Khawaja wicket.

It will become iconic.
  • Options

Hurrying along the game does not apply to over rates.
  • Options

Leon said:

Westie said:

Westie said:

👍

What comes next?

Probably neutral. At the end of all this there will only be about 12 people left on earth, but as 99.8% of the planet will be uninhabitable, there will only be about 5 houses left standing

So a decent 3 bed semi should cost roughly the same
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Who is Plato?

PlatoSaid last posted in March 2017 after her previous personas had been banned or malfunctioned. In real life she was a woman in her fifties called Philippa. Some people treat politics as a witty entertainment, but to their credit others give it their full measure and of those some are sadly lost in the giving. She started off with only tangential interest in politics but in her later years became more devoted to the wilder alt-right shores and left by mutual agreement. Nevertheless she was missed and several months later people started to comment on her absence, initially jokingly, then with more concern. Eventually her brother contacted OGH after finding a link and told him that she had died. Her friends and lived ones are not known to us, but even those who disagreed with her on PB will remember her fondly. [I used to do obituaries for PB members but Mike refused to publish it. It's about a year out of date now - somebody died in 2022 and I missed it - but it contains obits of five PBers]

I can see the reason if people were anonymous and might prefer posthumous anonymity, too, but otherwise that’s an honourable thing to do. PB is a community. I genuinely miss long standing commenters when they depart to the Conservativehome in the Sky

Also I was quite mean in my arguments with Plato and still feel a little guilty. RIP
    "Refuse" is too strong a word: "declined to answer" is more accurate. My headcanon reason is that one of the obituaries was for @SBS, who was a personal friend of @OGH and it may have been too painful. Or Mike may simply have disliked the article: his gaff, his decisions, and he's not obliged to publish anything. I handed round individual copies to some people who were interested backstage.

The five people obituarised were @Plato, @MarkSenior, @Nichomar, @Calum and @SBS
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Westie said:

Westie said:

👍

What comes next?

Probably neutral. At the end of all this there will only be about 12 people left on earth, but as 99.8% of the planet will be uninhabitable, there will only be about 5 houses left standing

So a decent 3 bed semi should cost roughly the same
    But try finding a plumber.
  • Options

I've just seen the field for the Khawaja wicket.

It will become iconic.

A 'drive theory' field.
  • Options
    The Aliens story is approaching a climax, btw

I did a deep dive sitting on my historic Kentucky balcony last night, in the charming riverside town of Maysville KY (I do wish people would stop dissing small American towns, Maysville is rather nice)

I reckon in the next two or three years we will learn the truth of this bizarre story as it culminates

The Americans have either gone mad, or they are conducting deep dark psy ops, or they genuinely believe they are encountering Non Human Intelligence

The seniority and the number of people now saying Something is Up can not be airily waved away
  • Options
    Are there any stats on the success rate of declaring to get the other side batting for a few overs at the end of a day ?

I wonder how often a wicket falls in those overs compared to those overs at other periods of a day.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,579

William is to abdicate.

But without the foresight?
  • Options

It is hard to believe that the proper cricket is only just starting, given the amount of pointless cricket commentary we have endured in PB already this year.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Isn’t it time to bring back the death penalty. Hang child rapists and Boris Johnsons
  • Options
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Who is Plato?

But the same would go for any PB’er who happened to drop dead, as, through simple mathematics, is surely happening with some regularity.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

The Aliens story is approaching a climax, btw

I did a deep dive sitting on my historic Kentucky balcony last night, in the charming riverside town of Maysville KY (I do wish people would stop dissing small American towns, Maysville is rather nice)

I reckon in the next two or three years we will learn the truth of this bizarre story as it culminates

The Americans have either gone mad, or they are conducting deep dark psy ops, or they genuinely believe they are encountering Non Human Intelligence

The seniority and the number of people now saying Something is Up can not be airily waved away

Are you sure? If they are all Americans living in rural Kentucky, they probably can.

After all, any way-more-intelligent-than-us aliens who had done prior research wouldn’t be wasting time abducting people only from Kentucky, South Dakota and West Virginia in the first place.

Unless they were on a mission to do our planet a favour. In which case, you’ll be next…
This discussion has been closed.