Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

LAB moves to an 86% betting chance to win a Rutherglen by-election – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    Sandpit said:

.deleted

You are wrong. There are mini pigs and micro pig breeds.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Poshness of newspapers - their writers and hacks - by order of descent. From posh to prole

Guardian (Observer)
    Telegraph
    Times
    FT
    Mail
    Sun
    Mirror
    Express
    Indy
    Star

I have a very good friend who used to be the Sun's racing correspondent. I think he'd rate it as more posh than the Mall.
    And probably the FT too.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    AlistairM said:

Ghedebrav said:

Cav to retire. The greatest of them all at his particular niche of sport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/65665546

I hope he can get one TdF stage win this Summer. I don't think he will, unfortunately.
    Fingers crossed he does. He still has some of that explosivity combined with a great racing brain - ideally I'd love to see him take a stage like that one in 2013 with the crosswinds; proper chess-on-wheels stuff.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215

HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

FPT

Leon said:

mwadams said:

HYUFD said:

Poor, poor Polly Toynbee. She can't even find one working class ancestor but nonetheless she still sympathises desperately with their troubles while writing her Guardian column from her posh property to be read by other upper middle class left liberals, though of course the working classes suffered terrible false conciousness in backing Brexit
    https://twitter.com/alysdenby/status/1660564871610527744?s=20

Polly Toynbee is why I was a Tory for so long.
    I don’t believe I’ve ever read an interesting Polly Toynbee piece. I believe she was considered influential back in the early 90s…
    It’s worth reading that article for the sheer Toynbee-ness of it all. Her sad desperate yet failed search for at least one working class relative (a story I don’t believe btw, everyone has working class relatives no more than 2 or 3 generations away or removed - she just didn’t want to find them)

True story: a few years ago she bought a house near a friend of mine for a cool £5m cash
    I’ve never understood poshos like Toynbee who are desperate to be working class.

What is wrong with these people?
    It’s a truly weird and toxic mixture of snobbery and guilt. Toynbee is a proper snob. It oozes from every syllable of that article. She sneers. She can’t help it. She enjoys being posh so she can look down on almost everyone

Yet at the same time I am sure she genuinely feels guilt at her privilege and has a sincere desire to help others - especially those “less fortunate”

So you end up with weird and awkward contortions like that essay

Is she worse or better than an outright snob like Alan Clark? I honestly dunno. He was funny. But a nasty snob. She’s not funny. But she’s probably done more for poor people while inwardly sneering at them and trying not to smell them
    Alan Clark was ultimately harmless (aside from to his immediate family). His diaries remain quite fascinating, and they are truly wonderfully edited - Ion Trewin really does give the whole of the man, his insecurities and frequent wrongness about things. Clark was an excellent and very funny writer, quite snobbish but also an inveterate romantic whose main goal was to give narrative justification for the events in his life.

Only Chris Mullin has come close to him, I think.
    Alan Clark had a classic putdown of Michael Heseltine, though an extremely snobbish one. He said Heseltine 'was the type of man who has to buy his own furniture'.

He was also quite snobbish about William Hague too and his father who owned a small drinks factory, recounting one conversation with Nicholas Soames in which he said ' I mean the man looks like a golf ball'
    I always thought that comment about Heseltine reflected worse on Clark than on Hezza. Snobbery is a very unpleasant, destructive and ultimately boring British disease.
    Considering the Clarks were trade from Paisley, they were strong words indeed. No bigger snobs than the recently arrived.
    Yes. Alan Clark’s snobbery surely derived from an inner insecurity - indeed maybe that is true of all snobs?

They BOUGHT their moated castle in Kent
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Poshness of newspapers - their writers and hacks - by order of descent. From posh to prole

Guardian (Observer)
    Telegraph
    Times
    FT
    Mail
    Sun
    Mirror
    Express
    Indy
    Star

I have a very good friend who used to be the Sun's racing correspondent. I think he'd rate it as more posh than the Mall.
    Yes, quite possibly. After the top 3 or 4 my ranking is less certain

Interesting but little known fact: British tabloids are starting to make SERIOUS money online through YouTube etc
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,580
    Leon said:

Incidentally on this theme of incredible Chinese motorways this is now the 4th or 5th country where I’ve encountered them in the last few years

Turkey
    Sri Lanka
    Vietnam (I think)
    Egypt
    Thailand

Imagine if, over the last 30 years, America - and the west in general - had abhorred warfare and instead decided to build motorways and infrastructure wherever it could. Imagine if the 29 trillion spent on the Iraq war had been spent on hospitals and hi speed rail

The world would now be a much kinder place for us. And for humanity. I speak as an idiot that thought the Iraq war was a good if difficult idea

You left out the Chinese-built "Highway to Nowhere" in Montenegro.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    Cyclefree said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2: you don't know the tough life til your upstairs neighbour staggers into your flat bleeding from a stab wound!

Cyclefree: you don't know the tough life til you encounter the wrong type of English visitor whilst visiting Tuscany from England.

Hell comes in many flavours.

I have lived a varied life.

Shall I tell you about the time a burglar broke into the house I was living in in Brixton and came into my bedroom clutching my bread knife while I was in it alone?

I loathe the Toynbees of this world. They seem very accurately described by Martin Amis here -

"What we eventually run up against are the forces of humourlessness, and let me assure you that the humourless as a bunch don't just not know what's funny, they don't know what's serious. They have no common sense, either, and shouldn't be trusted with anything."
    Amis could have been describing himself.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2: you don't know the tough life til your upstairs neighbour staggers into your flat bleeding from a stab wound!

Cyclefree: you don't know the tough life til you encounter the wrong type of English visitor whilst visiting Tuscany from England.

Shall I tell you about the time a burglar broke into the house I was living in in Brixton and came into my bedroom clutching my bread knife while I was in it alone?

I loathe the Toynbees of this world. They seem very accurately described by Martin Amis here -

"What we eventually run up against are the forces of humourlessness, and let me assure you that the humourless as a bunch don't just not know what's funny, they don't know what's serious. They have no common sense, either, and shouldn't be trusted with anything."
    Come come. Amis was undeniably funny

I once had sex with a girl who was at the same time having sex with Martin Amis (not literally a “Nick palmer in Zurich” situation but you know what I mean - she was liberal with her charms)

She said he was unsatisfyingly tiny in height but genuinely hilarious
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    German investigators are sceptical of claims that Russian naval ships sabotaged the Nord Stream gas pipelines and are instead pursuing leads that point to the Ukrainian authorities, according to a report.

Three of the four strands of the pipelines, built to transport Russian gas to Germany on the bed of the Baltic Sea, were knocked out by underwater explosions last September, effectively severing the main energy link between the two countries.

The perpetrator has not yet been identified despite three separate national investigations carried out by Germany, Sweden and Denmark.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ukraine-blew-up-nord-stream-2-pipeline-german-fbi-2023-95d58fgkv
  • Options

German investigators are sceptical of claims that Russian naval ships sabotaged the Nord Stream gas pipelines and are instead pursuing leads that point to the Ukrainian authorities, according to a report.

Three of the four strands of the pipelines, built to transport Russian gas to Germany on the bed of the Baltic Sea, were knocked out by underwater explosions last September, effectively severing the main energy link between the two countries.

The perpetrator has not yet been identified despite three separate national investigations carried out by Germany, Sweden and Denmark.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ukraine-blew-up-nord-stream-2-pipeline-german-fbi-2023-95d58fgkv

Crikey. So it WASN’T the Russians???
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Farooq said:

I once had sex with a girl who was at the same time having sex with Martin Amis (not literally a “Nick palmer in Zurich” situation but you know what I mean - she was liberal with her charms)

Younger Kingsley was a great writer. Lucky Jim was genius, and incredibly accurate, although he became a curmudgeon in later life.

I know it bad form to speak ill of the recently departed, but Martin was just a shock jock. I can't imagine anyone so tedious. Oh wait, yes I can...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,179
    Toynbee is someone who offers so little yet has made a career writing opinion pieces and getting talking head slots on TV.

I’m no fan of Richard littlejohn but that time on QT where he asked her if she worried about climate change when flying to her Italian Villa and her inept response was priceless
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Ghedebrav said:

I hope he can get one TdF stage win this Summer. I don't think he will, unfortunately.
    Personally, I suspect he will. Experience is worth a lot in sprinting, motivation is worth a fair bit too, and he took one in the Giro just last year and won the Tour points race as recently as 2021 so isn't miles off the pace by any means. He'll be competitive in a few stages anyway.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,124
    Interviewer: "That's a Yes or No question"
    Braverman: "........................................................................................................................................................"
  • Options

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Farooq said:

Younger Kingsley was a great writer. Lucky Jim was genius, and incredibly accurate, although he became a curmudgeon in later life.

I know it bad form to speak ill of the recently departed, but Martin was just a shock jock. I can't imagine anyone so tedious. Oh wait, yes I can...
    Who?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    AlistairM said:

Russia has had one day to crow about Bakhmut and then...

By nightfall the Free russia Legion will have taken more territory than Wagner in the last 3 months.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://twitter.com/noclador/status/1660643051331543040

Fog of war and all that - but it appears to be the case that Russia has expended 100,000 men in order to capture Bakhmut, only to get immediately surrounded there, presumably at the costs of tens of thousands more.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited May 2023
    Taz said:

Toynbee is someone who offers so little yet has made a career writing opinion pieces and getting talking head slots on TV.

I’m no fan of Richard littlejohn but that time on QT where he asked her if she worried about climate change when flying to her Italian Villa and her inept response was priceless

Pople who start a sentence by saying they're 'not a fan of' usually go on to show that they are a fan of as you have just done.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

AlistairM said:

By nightfall the Free russia Legion will have taken more territory than Wagner in the last 3 months.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fog of war and all that - but it appears to be the case that Russia has expended 100,000 men in order to capture Bakhmut, only to get immediately surrounded there, presumably at the costs of tens of thousands more.

Correction: only to get the Wagner Group surrounded there.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Crikey. So it WASN’T the Russians???
    Would you like me edit your comment to change the word "Russians" to "Americans"?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

.deleted

Come back and argue. Stop hiding behind deleted. Let’s have honest and real debate.

https://americanminipigassociation.com/uncategorized/teacup-micro-pigs-what-are-they-and-where-can-i-get-one/

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,905
    Cookie said:

AlistairM said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is a reference to something weird going on near Belgorod.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Roger said:

Taz said:

Pople who start a sentence by saying they're 'not a fan of' usually go on to show that they are a fan of as you have just done.
    Toynbee, seems largely inoffensive. She is a social commentator who may or may not know what she is talking about. I don't know and her social commentary doesn't really float my boat.

Littlejohn on the other hand strikes me as very much the unpleasant opinionated c*ck!
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Sandpit said:

.deleted

Come back and argue. Stop hiding behind deleted. Let’s have honest and real debate.

https://americanminipigassociation.com/uncategorized/teacup-micro-pigs-what-are-they-and-where-can-i-get-one/

bacon
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Guardian (Observer)
    Telegraph
    Times
    FT
    Mail
    Sun
    Mirror
    Express
    Indy
    Star

Interesting but little known fact: British tabloids are starting to make SERIOUS money online through YouTube etc
    Google's advertising revenues, of which YouTube is the biggest part, bring in a billion dollars in revenue, EVERY 30 HOURS OR SO.

They do the same every day that Twitter does in a quarter.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCKING FUCK?

Even worse with Braverman on the roads.

Red traffic lights in London could be switched off from 10pm until 7am if Sadiq Khan is sacked as Mayor

Tory hopeful Dan Korski today vowed to impose a radical shake-up of London roads

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1660642057554108417
  • Options

Roger said:

Taz said:

Toynbee, seems largely inoffensive. She is a social commentator who may or may not know what she is talking about. I don't know and her socially commentary doesn't really float my boat.

Littlejohn on the other hand strikes me as very much the unpleasant opinionated c*ck!
    I simply can't believe so many people are obsessed with her. I read the Guardian online. I don't think I've clicked on a Toynbee piece for 10 years. I never liked them when I tried them, so I stopped bothering. Why are so many people so furiously triggered by her existence?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932

AlistairM said:

Ghedebrav said:

Personally, I suspect he will. Experience is worth a lot in sprinting, motivation is worth a fair bit too, and he took one in the Giro just last year and won the Tour points race as recently as 2021 so isn't miles off the pace by any means. He'll be competitive in a few stages anyway.
    He needs to sort out his sprint team - Gleb Syritsa and Cees Bol are not delivering at the moment.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639

Roger said:

Taz said:

Toynbee, seems largely inoffensive. She is a social commentator who may or may not know what she is talking about. I don't know and her social commentary doesn't really float my boat.

It's not surprising if Toynbee is inoffensive to people with left-wing opinions. A bit like saying Douglas Murray is inoffensive to right-wingers.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Cookie said:

AlistairM said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Eabhal said:

Cookie said:

AlistairM said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here's the story:

https://www.newsweek.com/putin-defectors-freedom-russia-legion-ukraine-belgorod-war-1801786
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

.deleted

bacon
    And you as always are a silly sausage.

I don’t think I have ever agreed with one of your posts. How can you always be so wrong, Farooq?
  • Options

Red traffic lights in London could be switched off from 10pm until 7am if Sadiq Khan is sacked as Mayor

Tory hopeful Dan Korski today vowed to impose a radical shake-up of London roads

I guess LTNs and rage about not being able to drive wherever you like at whatever speed you like at all times are pretty much all the Tories have in London.

Sad really, especially when Khan is hardly a charismatic powerhouse - he ought to be there for the taking.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Guardian (Observer)
    Telegraph
    Times
    FT
    Mail
    Sun
    Mirror
    Express
    Indy
    Star

At the same time Buzzfeed and Vice are going down the pan.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,442

To a rough but decent approximation, only a few groups of people still vote Conservative in London;

People on the fringes, who aggressively put Essex/Kent/Surrey on their address,
    Taxi drivers,
    Erm..,
    That's about it.

Given unhappiness about ULEZ expansion and LTNs in various boroughs, becoming a Drivers' Rights Party is probably as good a strategy as any for London Conservatives. It loses, but shores up some sort of vote for them.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Taz said:

Rogerdamus strikes again 😂😂😂😂
  • Options

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

.deleted

bacon
    And you as always are a silly sausage.

I don’t think I have ever agreed with one of your posts. How can you always be so wrong, Farooq?
    It's because I want the Tories to lose. That tends to upset loyal blues like you.

BTW it's red sauce on bacon sarnies. Tell me I'm wrong about that too.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,114
    Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

It's not surprising if Toynbee is inoffensive to people with left-wing opinions. A bit like saying Douglas Murray is inoffensive to right-wingers.
    I'm not sure I've ever heard even Toynbee's detractors call her offensive. I just find her writing kind of bland and repetitive, always preaching to the choir rather than saying something surprising or counterintuitive or even insightful. It's not that I disagree with what she's saying most of the time. In fact I usually don't disagree with any of it. I just don't feel that I gain anything from reading her pieces. But I've not read anything of hers in years.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Guardian (Observer)
    Telegraph
    Times
    FT
    Mail
    Sun
    Mirror
    Express
    Indy
    Star

Google's advertising revenues, of which YouTube is the biggest part, bring in a billion dollars in revenue, EVERY 30 HOURS OR SO.

AFAICT YouTube's revenue was just shy of $30b last year. A lot to be sure, but a long way off a billion clams every 30 hours. I would be amazed to learn that they make more from YT than they do from search.

Tangentially, YT is probably the better bet for the future, given how vulnerable search is to emerging tech.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

I guess LTNs and rage about not being able to drive wherever you like at whatever speed you like at all times are pretty much all the Tories have in London.

Sad really, especially when Khan is hardly a charismatic powerhouse - he ought to be there for the taking.
    Not really in a Labour-leaning city with the Tories polling badly nationally.

Khan might well be vulnerable in 2028 under a Labour Government, as he's not a great candidate as you say, but it's shore up the core vote time for the Tories next May.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Guardian (Observer)
    Telegraph
    Times
    FT
    Mail
    Sun
    Mirror
    Express
    Indy
    Star

At the same time Buzzfeed and Vice are going down the pan.
    Vice has a lot of content infrastructure that is salvageable, and their is still equity in the Vice brand for whoever ends up picking it up. Buzzfeed I'm less sure of - they never really made the transition away from novelty lists and quizzes to being serious media.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

I fear that comment with earn you The Wrath of Khan from Sadiq Khan.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Guardian (Observer)
    Telegraph
    Times
    FT
    Mail
    Sun
    Mirror
    Express
    Indy
    Star

AFAICT YouTube's revenue was just shy of $30b last year. A lot to be sure, but a long way off a billion clams every 30 hours. I would be amazed to learn that they make more from YT than they do from search.

Tangentially, YT is probably the better bet for the future, given how vulnerable search is to emerging tech.
    $240bn is all advertising revenues.

But the YouTube figure on its own understates its revenues, because some of the most profitable line-items (such as UAC) are multi-channel.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Headlines you never thought you'd see (but always fantasised about) -
    Escaped water buffalo herd wreck Essex swimming pool (with video!):
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-essex-65674881
  • Options

Not actually as stupid as it sounds.

All other things being equal, signal controlled junctions work better when the signals aren't working. Far less tarmac is wasted.

Less ideal however for:
    - pedestrians
    - crap drivers
    - those joining from obviously minor arms where those on the major arm overlook the need to treat all arms equally.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Guardian (Observer)
    Telegraph
    Times
    FT
    Mail
    Sun
    Mirror
    Express
    Indy
    Star

But the YouTube figure on its own understates its revenues, because some of the most profitable line-items (such as UAC) are multi-channel.
    I do like how they've cleverly sidestepped the profitability issue that Netflix and Disney+ face by getting other people to make content for them basically for free (or a tiny sliver of their revenue).
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 595
    Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

Doha is fucked with air pollution, traffic and chavs with money. I don't know why anybody would live here unless they were a chav with no money before they arrived.

The Lusail track days are insane though. More like full on GT3 races where it's impossible to get black flagged.

I could definitely be a travel writer.

#genxfacebook

Is the infrastructure there as improved as they said it was for the World Cup? I’m thinking about heading there for the F1 in October.
    Doha is excellent outside of the central/older areas. Stay in West Bay or The Pearl .....or Lusail itself (although a bit lifeless)

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Guardian (Observer)
    Telegraph
    Times
    FT
    Mail
    Sun
    Mirror
    Express
    Indy
    Star

I do like how they've cleverly sidestepped the profitability issue that Netflix and Disney+ face by getting other people to make content for them basically for free (or a tiny sliver of their revenue).
    To be fair they just host it but don't claim any other rights.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

I'm not sure I've ever heard even Toynbee's detractors call her offensive. I just find her writing kind of bland and repetitive, always preaching to the choir rather than saying something surprising or counterintuitive or even insightful. It's not that I disagree with what she's saying most of the time. In fact I usually don't disagree with any of it. I just don't feel that I gain anything from reading her pieces. But I've not read anything of hers in years.
    She was once useful to read: as a barometer of centre left opinion. Whatever she said was a reliable indicator of what the mainstream Labour Party believed - from about 1987 to 2005

Now she is sadly useless for that purpose. Long since superseded. Given that she is neither witty or insightful in any other way I struggle to see how the guardian justifies her alleged six figure salary

But there are, of course, similar writers on all
    major papers. Perhaps their totally boring dependability is a consolation to older readers, and without her they fear they might lose 5000 loyal subscribers
  • Options
    Shit. I’m in Cairo
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,442
    Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Guardian (Observer)
    Telegraph
    Times
    FT
    Mail
    Sun
    Mirror
    Express
    Indy
    Star

Probably a bigger issue for creative jobs than AI.

Plenty of us are more than happy to generate content for the joy of saying stuff.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

As someone campaigning for more active travel (the silver bullet to all of the UK's long-term issues), I'm grateful that all the COVID/5G/Soros types have chosen LTNs and cycle lanes as their next grand conspiracy :)
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Guardian (Observer)
    Telegraph
    Times
    FT
    Mail
    Sun
    Mirror
    Express
    Indy
    Star

They made a number of incredibly smart decisions:

(1) They moved advertising from targeting of specific demographics, to them around them optimizing around conversions. You literally tell Google "I want to sell auto insurance", and this is my conversion event, and you go into their bid funnel. And because they own search and video and even login authorization and payments, they know if things are working.

(2) They invested very heavily in YouTube for SmartTVs. YouTube accounts for almost a quarter of viewing on new Samsung TVs.

Joe Schmo can get YouTube anywhere. He doesn't get overloaded with adverts. And it will always find something interesting for him to watch.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Guardian (Observer)
    Telegraph
    Times
    FT
    Mail
    Sun
    Mirror
    Express
    Indy
    Star

(1) They moved advertising from targeting of specific demographics, to them around them optimizing around conversions. You literally tell Google "I want to sell auto insurance", and this is my conversion event, and you go into their bid funnel. And because they own search and video and even login authorization and payments, they know if things are working.

(2) They invested very heavily in YouTube for SmartTVs. YouTube accounts for almost a quarter of viewing on new Samsung TVs.

Joe Schmo can get YouTube anywhere. He doesn't get overloaded with adverts. And it will always find something interesting for him to watch.
    The biggest revelation for me a few years ago was seeing how YouTube content had taken over from traditional childrens' TV.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Guardian (Observer)
    Telegraph
    Times
    FT
    Mail
    Sun
    Mirror
    Express
    Indy
    Star

And no adblock on TV
  • Options
    kjh said:

Bloody Brexit.

I have spent weeks planning 2 cycle rides in France on the basis that I take the Eurostar and catch a train then from Paris as I have done before to my start point with an assembled bike (not boxed). Consequently I didn't bother with the Eurostar bit until the end. And as I finalise weeks of work I read this from Eurostar:

"Border restrictions following Brexit have added to the complications for the international train service which have prevented the carriage of non-boxed bikes. Currently fully assembled bikes cannot be carried on Eurostar for security reasons, however the train operator is looking to find a solution which will allow their carriage again."

Bloody, bloody, bloody Brexit.

What security reasons, that a boxed bike can't also have?

I dropped a holiday idea cos of this too.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    edited May 2023
    Eabhal said:

kjh said:

Bloody Brexit.

I have spent weeks planning 2 cycle rides in France on the basis that I take the Eurostar and catch a train then from Paris as I have done before to my start point with an assembled bike (not boxed). Consequently I didn't bother with the Eurostar bit until the end. And as I finalise weeks of work I read this from Eurostar:

"Border restrictions following Brexit have added to the complications for the international train service which have prevented the carriage of non-boxed bikes. Currently fully assembled bikes cannot be carried on Eurostar for security reasons, however the train operator is looking to find a solution which will allow their carriage again."

So many bloody hours planning the routes on greenways, booking hotels and b&bs, etc, etc. I want to cry.

Back to the drawing board. There must be alternatives. We have done several from Portsmouth but that is when cycling in Normandy or Brittany. These trips were further south so relying on TGVs. I could do train and ferry from Dover and then train I guess.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442
    kjh said:

Bloody Brexit.

Buy a cardboard box from any cycle shop & bring a few tools?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,114

rcs1000 said:

Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Guardian (Observer)
    Telegraph
    Times
    FT
    Mail
    Sun
    Mirror
    Express
    Indy
    Star

The biggest revelation for me a few years ago was seeing how YouTube content had taken over from traditional childrens' TV.
    Any parent who let's their child watch YouTube unsupervised is mad, IMHO.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

FPT

Leon said:

mwadams said:

HYUFD said:

Poor, poor Polly Toynbee. She can't even find one working class ancestor but nonetheless she still sympathises desperately with their troubles while writing her Guardian column from her posh property to be read by other upper middle class left liberals, though of course the working classes suffered terrible false conciousness in backing Brexit

I don’t believe I’ve ever read an interesting Polly Toynbee piece. I believe she was considered influential back in the early 90s…
    It’s worth reading that article for the sheer Toynbee-ness of it all. Her sad desperate yet failed search for at least one working class relative (a story I don’t believe btw, everyone has working class relatives no more than 2 or 3 generations away or removed - she just didn’t want to find them)

True story: a few years ago she bought a house near a friend of mine for a cool £5m cash
    I’ve never understood poshos like Toynbee who are desperate to be working class.

It’s a truly weird and toxic mixture of snobbery and guilt. Toynbee is a proper snob. It oozes from every syllable of that article. She sneers. She can’t help it. She enjoys being posh so she can look down on almost everyone

Yet at the same time I am sure she genuinely feels guilt at her privilege and has a sincere desire to help others - especially those “less fortunate”

Is she worse or better than an outright snob like Alan Clark? I honestly dunno. He was funny. But a nasty snob. She’s not funny. But she’s probably done more for poor people while inwardly sneering at them and trying not to smell them
    Alan Clark was ultimately harmless (aside from to his immediate family). His diaries remain quite fascinating, and they are truly wonderfully edited - Ion Trewin really does give the whole of the man, his insecurities and frequent wrongness about things. Clark was an excellent and very funny writer, quite snobbish but also an inveterate romantic whose main goal was to give narrative justification for the events in his life.

Alan Clark had a classic putdown of Michael Heseltine, though an extremely snobbish one. He said Heseltine 'was the type of man who has to buy his own furniture'.

He was also quite snobbish about William Hague too, Hague's father owned a small drinks factory, recounting one conversation with his fellow OE Nicholas Soames in which he said of the comprehensive educated Hague ' I mean the man looks like a golf ball'. He quite liked Blair though, apart from on Kosovo (Blair sent him a note after his illness was diagnosed) and was a big Princess Diana fan and worshipped Thatcher, though that was not fully reciprocated as The Lady never made him a senior Minister
    Clarke himself though, was a poor man's idea of a how a rich man should behave.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Bloody Brexit.

That is really weird. I genuinely can't understand that. I can't be some obscure rule about transit of assembled bikes either cos you can get on a ferry with one.

If it was 'we don't have space' or something, I'd still be annoyed but at least there'd be some logic to it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

FPT

Leon said:

mwadams said:

HYUFD said:

He was also quite snobbish about William Hague too and his father who owned a small drinks factory, recounting one conversation with Nicholas Soames in which he said ' I mean the man looks like a golf ball'
    I always thought that comment about Heseltine reflected worse on Clark than on Hezza. Snobbery is a very unpleasant, destructive and ultimately boring British disease.
    People of old money, who are comfortable in themselves, are not usually snobs. It's the nouveaux riches who are more likely to put people down.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,442

kjh said:

Bloody Brexit.

Buy a cardboard box from any cycle shop & bring a few tools?
    The ferry is always an option. There is a good ride to Paris from Calais if you can spare 1/2 days.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

kjh said:

Bloody Brexit.

I sympathise (genuinely) with all this, but it does seem to me to be an awful lot of arse-ache which has been deliberately thrown up by both sides during an acrimonious divorce

How can a bike on the Eurostar possibly threaten the Single Market?

It’s like a separating couple deciding to cut their heritage vinyl edition of Sgt Pepper in two so that neither side can enjoy it but both theoretically get an equal share
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    How many organisations is it now?

Parliament
    The Met
    Other police forces
    The London Fire Brigade
    Other fire brigades
    The Army
    The Navy
    The TSSA union
    The NHS

And now - the Methodists: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/methodist-church-not-seen-as-safe-for-women-leaked-report-finds-qrc0jzz22

If only there were politicians who took this seriously. If only .....
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Ghedebrav said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Guardian (Observer)
    Telegraph
    Times
    FT
    Mail
    Sun
    Mirror
    Express
    Indy
    Star

I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's taken over, but it's absolutely in the prime mix.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,953
    @BestForBritain
    1m
    Suella Braverman in the Commons refusing to answer Qs and says reason Labour are asking them is to distract from *her brilliant record* and the fact that Labour love "foreign criminals", "pedophiles and murderers" and "their total abandonment of British people". Wow. ~AA

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1660661972474515459
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Scott_xP said:

@BestForBritain
    1m
    Suella Braverman in the Commons refusing to answer Qs and says reason Labour are asking them is to distract from *her brilliant record* and the fact that Labour love "foreign criminals", "pedophiles and murderers" and "their total abandonment of British people". Wow. ~AA

I’m old enough to remember “hug a hoodie”

How low the Tory party have sunk.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Regarding Polly, the Right needs to start specifying where she's factually or morally wrong. 'How dare she criticize Boris when she's so posh' isn't much of a call to arms.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@BestForBritain
    1m

She is an embarassment (and once again is railing against her own ineffectiveness), but the tweet is a bit misleading.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    Farooq said:

I for one am looking forward to this by-election, if it happens. To see @bigjohnowls cheering on the SNP and @malcolmg cheering on Labour will give warm and fuzzy feelings all over.

I would not piss on Labour even if they were ablaze
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

It's nothing like that.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,045
    Cyclefree said:

I used to enjoy viciously teasing Polly on CIF years ago.

She is the sort of English person who ruins Tuscany, especially in summer. Mind you the Tuscans are not much trusted by other Italians - so they probably deserve having ghastly English people who think they're posh but really really are not inflicted on them.

Umbria is far nicer

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974

The funniest outcome would be the recall petition not making 10% (which on bare precedent is a one in three chance).. One could hardly blame the poor, abused Scottish voter for having stopped giving a feck.

That would be justice, she has been hard done by , given Sturgeon , plastic paddy etc who all broke rules but got let away with it.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,940
    edited May 2023
    Ghedebrav said:

kjh said:

Bloody Brexit.

That is really weird. I genuinely can't understand that. I can't be some obscure rule about transit of assembled bikes either cos you can get on a ferry with one.

If it was 'we don't have space' or something, I'd still be annoyed but at least there'd be some logic to it.
    Man in Seat 61 says the boxed option involves turning up a little early & that Eurostar provides the box. You only need a minimal number of tools (pedal spanner, a couple of hex keys) to take the front wheel off, loosen the handlebars & take the pedals off. It’s a pain compared to being able to just wheel the bike onto the platform, but still sounds doable?

https://www.seat61.com/bike-by-train.htm
  • Options

Regarding Polly, the Right needs to start specifying where she's factually or morally wrong. 'How dare she criticize Boris when she's so posh' isn't much of a call to arms.

The discussion is more about her obvious discomfort in her own skin, like Laura Trevelyan.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263
    Ghedebrav said:

kjh said:

Bloody Brexit.

I do wonder whether Eurostar have ever wanted the hassle of carrying bicycles and Brexit is simply a handy smokescreen for a decision that has been taken for other reasons. They say Brexit in one sentence and security in the other, which is a bit weird.

If they simply said they weren't allowing them anymore then the cycling lobby would be on to them pretty sharpish. Say "Brexit" and instead everyone says either, "bloody Brexit," or, "bloody French," and leaves them alone.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

It’s the combination of her claiming to have the best interests of a section of society at heart, while despising and sneering at them.

Sanders Of The River with chavs instead of African gentlemen with bones through their noses.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405
    Cyclefree said:

How many organisations is it now?

Parliament
    The Met
    Other police forces
    The London Fire Brigade
    Other fire brigades
    The Army
    The Navy
    The TSSA union
    The NHS

And now - the Methodists: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/methodist-church-not-seen-as-safe-for-women-leaked-report-finds-qrc0jzz22

If only there were politicians who took this seriously. If only .....

Do you have a list of the organisations safe for women? I think it will be a much shorter list.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Not actually as stupid as it sounds.

All other things being equal, signal controlled junctions work better when the signals aren't working. Far less tarmac is wasted.

Less ideal however for:
    - pedestrians
    - crap drivers
    - those joining from obviously minor arms where those on the major arm overlook the need to treat all arms equally.
    Sounds like the start of an arms race 🫣
  • Options
    Welcome, my friends, to the Diplomat Suite at the Four Seasons Cairo

They have inscribed my name in chocolate hieroglyphs on a special chocolate obelisk

They have built me a tray of sweetmeats made like the pyramids

And from my Nile side balcony I can see…

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,045
    Ghedebrav said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

FPT

Leon said:

mwadams said:

HYUFD said:

He had a nerve saying that about Heseltine, given his own family background.
    He didn't say it - he reported someone else saying it.
    Michael Jopling?
  • Options
    I see that on Hertsmere Council, Labour's NEC has made it absolutely plain that Labour councillors are not go into coalition with the Lib Dems.

That leaves open the possibility that the Conservatives will remain as a minority administration.

I note that some Labour councillors are threatening to sit as independents.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,940

Ghedebrav said:

kjh said:

Bloody Brexit.

I do wonder whether Eurostar have ever wanted the hassle of carrying bicycles and Brexit is simply a handy smokescreen for a decision that has been taken for other reasons. They say Brexit in one sentence and security in the other, which is a bit weird.

If they simply said they weren't allowing them anymore then the cycling lobby would be on to them pretty sharpish. Say "Brexit" and instead everyone says either, "bloody Brexit," or, "bloody French," and leaves them alone.
    You get the distinct impression from UK railways that they absolutely hate cyclists & wish we would all die in a fire.

Going to Denmark where everyone just wheels their bikes straight onto the commuter trains which have swathes of space without seats for this purpose was something of a culture shock!

NB. Cycling UK has some channel hopping suggestions here if Eurostar ends up being impossible @LostPassword : https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/eurostar-re-opens-cycle-carriage-service
  • Options

It’s the combination of her claiming to have the best interests of a section of society at heart, while despising and sneering at them.

Sanders Of The River with chavs instead of African gentlemen with bones through their noses.
    If I'd inherited a vast fortune, from some aristocrat, my attitude would be "God has given us the Papacy. Let us enjoy it."
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    Farooq said:

I for one am looking forward to this by-election, if it happens. To see @bigjohnowls cheering on the SNP and @malcolmg cheering on Labour will give warm and fuzzy feelings all over.

@malcolmg has many virtues, not the least of which is brevity, but amongst that long list is not found the words "cheer", "warm", nor "fuzzy"... :smiley:
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209
    edited May 2023

Ghedebrav said:

kjh said:

Bloody Brexit.

There's a detailed discussion here:

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/eurostar-re-opens-cycle-carriage-service

Apparently you can now do it to Paris, but not yet other destinations as of Feb 2023.

It says it stopped due to coronavirus, and when it restarted, the rules were different. It says the situation is due to improve soon.

It also mentions Brexit in passing, though with no extra details. Clear as mud.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,782
    Leon said:

They have inscribed my name in chocolate hieroglyphs on a special chocolate obelisk

If only you were employed by a magazine that focused on the crafting of obelisk-shaped objects... :smiley:

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,263
    Incidentally, any idea what is going on in Belgorod Oblast today?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    slade said:

There is another by-election pending - for a hereditary Lib Dem in the House of Lords. There are 3 candidates - Lord Belhaven, Earl Lloyd George, and Earl Russell. So 2 descendants of Liberal Prime ministers and one who isn't.

How big is the electorate this time?
  • Options
    Sky news have picked up on Starmer’s “no magic money tree” awful Theresa May speech today

Starmer is unleashing waves of new policy - but still fails to explain how he would pay for it all

As part of a long-term effort to convince voters that Labour is ready for government, Sir Keir Starmer today unveiled the third of his five missions.
    It seems that his response to being accused of lacking a big vision for the country is to unleash wave after wave of detailed policies and ambitious pledges.
    In a speech that lasted half an hour, the wishlist went from slashing waiting times to restrictions on advertising to children.
    It included personal anecdotes alongside transformative plans that span the next decade.
    The only area that was a little light on information was how it would all be paid for, beyond some narrowly focused funding pledges on closing tax loopholes.
    The Labour leader said that would be forthcoming as the next general election draws near.
    But if he wants to reassure voters that the public finances as well as the NHS are safe in his hands, he can't put it off much longer.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

I agree. But there is a general issue hovering around all this. There is a sort of mental split between two groups. There are those who expect that the personal lives of those who have and express (and make money from) strong convictions should match those opinions.

The other view is that expressed opinion and personal action have no such relation.

On issues like wealth, educational privilege and nepotism the first group look at some elites with more than a little cynicism.
  • Options
    Leon said:

And you've brought one of your flint phalluses with you too. Ahh!
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Sky news have picked up on Starmer’s “no magic money tree” awful Theresa May speech today

Starmer is unleashing waves of new policy - but still fails to explain how he would pay for it all

As part of a long-term effort to convince voters that Labour is ready for government, Sir Keir Starmer today unveiled the third of his five missions.
    It seems that his response to being accused of lacking a big vision for the country is to unleash wave after wave of detailed policies and ambitious pledges.
    In a speech that lasted half an hour, the wishlist went from slashing waiting times to restrictions on advertising to children.
    It included personal anecdotes alongside transformative plans that span the next decade.
    The only area that was a little light on information was how it would all be paid for, beyond some narrowly focused funding pledges on closing tax loopholes.
    The Labour leader said that would be forthcoming as the next general election draws near.
    But if he wants to reassure voters that the public finances as well as the NHS are safe in his hands, he can't put it off much longer.

To continue what is a bad day at the top of Labour, also from Sky news, this financial and communication mess up was also quickly picked up by PB in the last thread

Senior Labour frontbencher under fire for business class flight to New York
    Suella Braverman is not the only senior MP under fire today.
    Shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves has been criticised for taking a business class flight to New York where she is set to meet businesses, before travelling to Washington DC for meetings and a speech tomorrow.
    Yesterday evening, she posted a tweet with a photo of herself on the plane before take-off from Heathrow, but eagle-eyed users spotted her seat number on her boarding pass.
    She was sitting in seat number 3K, which is a business class seat with a lie-flat bed, according to online seat maps.
    However, the tweet was deleted when users began pointing out her front-of-the-plane accommodation. The tweet was subsequently re-posted with the information blurred out, but that was also later deleted.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    malcolmg said:

The funniest outcome would be the recall petition not making 10% (which on bare precedent is a one in three chance).. One could hardly blame the poor, abused Scottish voter for having stopped giving a feck.

That would be justice, she has been hard done by , given Sturgeon , plastic paddy etc who all broke rules but got let away with it.
    So far , Malc, so far.
  • Options

Incidentally, any idea what is going on in Belgorod Oblast today?

Russia is starting an "antiterrorist operation" to deal with an incursion by a group claiming to be Russians who have come to liberate them from the Kremlin, with sponsorship from Ukraine. It is presumably designed to sow chaos in Russia and distract Russia from the counteroffensive elsewhere.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nice to be able to see one of the wonders of the world from your window.

The foreground however looks like some sort of dystopian vision of the future from the 1980s.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,639
    Sean_F said:

I see that on Hertsmere Council, Labour's NEC has made it absolutely plain that Labour councillors are not go into coalition with the Lib Dems.

That leaves open the possibility that the Conservatives will remain as a minority administration.

I note that some Labour councillors are threatening to sit as independents.

Is there particular animosity between Lab and LD on this council?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Nice to be able to see one of the wonders of the world from your window.

The foreground however looks like some sort of dystopian vision of the future from the 1980s.
    I was going to say that it looks like it's been besieged by the Wagner group.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    HYUFD said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

FPT

Leon said:

mwadams said:

HYUFD said:

He was also quite snobbish about William Hague too, Hague's father owned a small drinks factory, recounting one conversation with his fellow OE Nicholas Soames in which he said of the comprehensive educated Hague ' I mean the man looks like a golf ball'. He quite liked Blair though, apart from on Kosovo (Blair sent him a note after his illness was diagnosed) and was a big Princess Diana fan and worshipped Thatcher, though that was not fully reciprocated as The Lady never made him a senior Minister
    I believe that quote about Heseltine was from Sir Timothy Kitson but recorded by Clark.
This discussion has been closed.