Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Archbishop’s attack on the small boats plan makes several front pages – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,472
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

"Adrian Hilton💎
    @Adrian_Hilton

Fujitsu staff had ‘unrestricted and unauditable’ remote access to Post Office branch systems? Good grief. So somebody was lying in the High Court? I ask again, why is Paula Vennells still in Holy Orders with a CBE?

#PostOfficeScandal"
    https://twitter.com/Adrian_Hilton/status/1656609940826476545

We just had a nice Fujitsu cock-up in Japan. They were contracted to build a system where you could print your government personal record at convenience stores. They made it save the record of the data it had to print in a file identified by the time. As soon as it started being used enough that two people in different convenient stores were using the system at the same time, the system started randomly printing out other people's data.
    I wonder if human beings have overestimated their ability to write infallible computer code.
    It’s not just their ability to write code, it’s their inability to learn the lessons of several decades of code-writing.

The latest fad is to make something quick and dirty, then fix the bugs as the customers report them. As someone who used to test software - before it got near a customer - for a living, that’s quite the transition.
    It’s not even that. They failed to do something that is A Level Computer Science.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Depressing write up on BBC about Trump's town hall event. Basically that he will never stop saying 2020 was rigged, will pardon 6 Jan rioters, will definitely shift policy on Ukraine (though exactly how is unclear, but ending it in 24 hours as he suggests could only occur if he stopped ongoing support), and that the audience was eating out of the palm of his hand.

If they get the chance the party will pick him again and the representatives will fall in line.

Yes, not a good read. It's hard to see him winning the presidency back, with things as they are now, but it'd be better if he isn't on the ballot as the GOP candidate. If he gets the Nom he has to have a non-trivial chance just because of 'events', eg a Biden incident, a bank crash, something in Russia/Ukraine etc.
    The nomination is his to lose. Could he become president then? Of course, especially if the economic backdrop worsens, as seems likely.
    Very scary on so many levels. Good for all the worst people (eg the MAGA goons and Putin) and bad for everyone else. If it were to happen my Big Short would turn into the worst single betting loss I've ever had and I can honestly hand-on-heart say I don't even think about that aspect. That's how bleak a prospect it is.
    I'd give Trump about a 40% chance of winning, if he runs against Biden. That is far too close for comfort.
    Share the sentiment but I rate it more a 25%.
    On this subject, there is an interesting feature about PB. SFAICS there are several people/positions that have Zero support with PBers. These include: Trump, Xi, Putin, Assad, all sides in Sudan, North Korea, the Burmese government and so on.

Of these one leaps out as different. Trump has tens of millions of loyal supporters in a free market liberal democracy with a free press.

But not a word of support on PB (me included) ever, while Trump is 5/2 with Hills to be the next POTUS.

is this because:
    (a) the PB Overton window is actually quite small
    (b) because nearly half the USA really are as authoritarian fascistlike as Putin and co and Trump's position resembles 1930s Germany
    (c) something else. (What?)

• Numbers. We are in a fallow period and will remain so until Anglophone elections restart (locals don't count :) ), so we're not really focussed at the moment
    • Unrepresentativeness. PB commentators have a larger-than-usual contingent of the rich and retired, and they have more time to contribute. So the PB Overton window is shifted by them, and they tend to be anti-Trump.
    • Banning. PB has an eclectic banning policy, and Trump fans can be collateral damage. In 2020 I ran a POTUS game with one PBer (@RichardNabavi? @NPXMP?) speaking for Biden and another (@MrEd) speaking for Trump. @MrEd is now banned for other reasons.
    I assume that these conditions will change as we near Nov24 and a new cohort of people join to opine.
    If a ThomasTelford, GeorgeStephenson, RobertStevenson or JosephWhitworth appear on PB, it'd be pretty easy to see who they're sock puppets of mine...

Ah, old Joey Whitworth. An amazing man and story.
    Bit of a screw loose.
    But a plane story.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,473
    At some point within the last few days, someone mentioned an Arthur C Clarke short story. Does anyone remember who it was or what the story was? I made a mental note to look it up but now cannot remember what I was meant to be looking up.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010

Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

StormShadow confirmed for Ukraine. Up to 300km range...

Interesting timing, just ahead of the predicted offensive.
    It might be very useful indeed to target the ammunition dumps the Russians have pulled back outside the range of HIMARs - the threat alone will complicate their logistics.

And given the F35 won't be able to carry it, we were gong to have some spares on the shelf, as the Typhoon fleet declines in numbers.
    In addition, apparently is is 'has been supplied', rather than 'will supply'. That indicates they are in-country and ready for service. I hope that we and the Ukes have been busy planning the integration onto their planes.
    Poland did the integration on a UAF Fencer last year.

https://avia-pro.net/news/polsha-osnastit-odin-ukrainskiy-bombardirovshchik-su-24-takticheskoy-raketoy-scalp-s-dalnostyu

Storm Shadows are 1 million quid each and are normally used for blowing up Hi-Luxes in Iraq and Syria.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    edited May 2023
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Scam phone call watch. Just got a call from this number on a landline.

https://who-calls.me.uk/phone/01135139666

One of the comments:

"Offering a free medical device to all 'elderly' people over the age of 50. Claimed to be based in London, calling from a Leeds area code. Clearly using a call router and dodgy af."

Someone on here tried to claim to me that fraud in the UK was not endemic. It may not be endemic in the literal sense but it is widespread, constantly present and highly damaging. I saw a report on BBC this morning to say there have been over 3 million cases of fraud (I assume in last year).

The banks need to recognise that it is far too easy to con people into transferring their money. The only solution I can think of is for the banking system to at least hold transferred monies for 48 hours before it appears in another overseas account enabling a customer to realise they have been conned.
    Watching from afar, there seems to be a massive disconnect between the banks insisting on multiple levels of KYC for normal customers, yet having no idea where the money went when a customer complains of being scammed with a domestic transfer.
    Banks should be made to report the amount of money they're spending paying back victims of fraud, and the amount of fraud they believe has occurred within, from and to their accounts.
    They do.

https://www.ukfinance.org.uk/system/files/Fraud The Facts 2021- FINAL.pdf
    Okay. You work for a bank. If my granny sends a bunch of money to an account at your bank, why can you not immediately associate an individual with that account, given that my granny had to jump through a thousand hoops to keep her own account open?
    It depends on the circumstances.

Usually it is straight forward but there may be a kink somewhere.

Such as a redirect on the account during the account switching process.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

It might be very useful indeed to target the ammunition dumps the Russians have pulled back outside the range of HIMARs - the threat alone will complicate their logistics.

And given the F35 won't be able to carry it, we were gong to have some spares on the shelf, as the Typhoon fleet declines in numbers.
    In addition, apparently is is 'has been supplied', rather than 'will supply'. That indicates they are in-country and ready for service. I hope that we and the Ukes have been busy planning the integration onto their planes.
    Poland did the integration on a UAF Fencer last year.

https://avia-pro.net/news/polsha-osnastit-odin-ukrainskiy-bombardirovshchik-su-24-takticheskoy-raketoy-scalp-s-dalnostyu

Storm Shadows are 1 million quid each and are normally used for blowing up Hi-Luxes in Iraq and Syria.
    Surely even such a hardened cynic as yourself would agree that they're going to get better usage now.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

algarkirk said:

Why are monarchists such snowflakes?

Australian monarchists have demanded that the state broadcaster apologise for its coverage of the coronation, during which its Aboriginal host suggested that British royalty had left “scars”.

The Australian Monarchist League (AML) launched a petition for an apology from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) for its “biased” coverage. The league also demanded an independent inquiry into the broadcaster’s “hijacking” of the historic occasion.

The league’s chairman, Philip Benwell, urged supporters to complain, saying that there had been “vitriolic attacks on the King, the monarchy, the British settlement and everything that came thereafter”.

The state-funded broadcaster was criticised after it aired a 45-minute discussion prior to the ceremony which featured a panel dominated by pro-republic figures — including the ABC’s leading Aboriginal host, Stan Grant, who spoke about colonisation and the damage the monarchy had inflicted on indigenous Australians.

“Before we get to the fantasy Australia, the Disneyland Australia, let’s deal with the real Australia,” Grant said in the broadcast. “Let’s not imagine that we can just look at this ceremony tonight and see this as something that is distant, that is just ceremonial and doesn’t hold weight.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/australias-state-broadcaster-accused-of-vitriolic-attacks-on-the-king-sgn72wcp9

Can I just give a wave for all the other monarchists who are not snowflakes (and not fanatics either) and are unfazed by freedom of speech and opinion. And who notice that everyone is free to attack the monarchy but on the whole the monarchy is not so free to defend itself.
    They have The Met to defend them, who use bad methods to silence pro-democracy supporters.

Charles Windsor has not condemned the Met's action, his silence is tacit condoning of the arrests.
    More TSE bollocks.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,747
    Interesting evidence being given atm at the Post Office Inquiry. It's worth watching IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0-Re8JutDs
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,552
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

You didn't share this piece of priceless tw@ttery.
    ..But staunch Brexiteers within the Conservative ranks have criticised the change, with former business secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg accusing Mr Sunak of "behaving like a Borgia"...

I'm curious - is he implying adultery, incest, theft, bribery, or murder ?
    (I think we can rule out simony.)
    That is Kemi's leadership hopes over then. The ERG and Conservative right won't forgive her abandoning repeal of EU laws. If the Tories lose the next general election she will be seen as linked as much to the defeated Sunak as Hunt now
    Far be it from me to defend Kemi, but wasn't it Sunak who pledged to repeal all EU laws within a year as part of his leadership pitch? Who's in charge?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

One of the comments:

"Offering a free medical device to all 'elderly' people over the age of 50. Claimed to be based in London, calling from a Leeds area code. Clearly using a call router and dodgy af."

Someone on here tried to claim to me that fraud in the UK was not endemic. It may not be endemic in the literal sense but it is widespread, constantly present and highly damaging. I saw a report on BBC this morning to say there have been over 3 million cases of fraud (I assume in last year).

The banks need to recognise that it is far too easy to con people into transferring their money. The only solution I can think of is for the banking system to at least hold transferred monies for 48 hours before it appears in another overseas account enabling a customer to realise they have been conned.
    Watching from afar, there seems to be a massive disconnect between the banks insisting on multiple levels of KYC for normal customers, yet having no idea where the money went when a customer complains of being scammed with a domestic transfer.
    Banks should be made to report the amount of money they're spending paying back victims of fraud, and the amount of fraud they believe has occurred within, from and to their accounts.
    They do.

Okay. You work for a bank. If my granny sends a bunch of money to an account at your bank, why can you not immediately associate an individual with that account, given that my granny had to jump through a thousand hoops to keep her own account open?

My granny doesn’t understand these kinks and redirects though, and why they’re not definitely your bank’s problem for failing your own KYC on the recipient.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,880
    edited May 2023
    Cookie said:

At some point within the last few days, someone mentioned an Arthur C Clarke short story. Does anyone remember who it was or what the story was? I made a mental note to look it up but now cannot remember what I was meant to be looking up.

"Refugees". It wasn't me.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Depressing write up on BBC about Trump's town hall event. Basically that he will never stop saying 2020 was rigged, will pardon 6 Jan rioters, will definitely shift policy on Ukraine (though exactly how is unclear, but ending it in 24 hours as he suggests could only occur if he stopped ongoing support), and that the audience was eating out of the palm of his hand.

If they get the chance the party will pick him again and the representatives will fall in line.

Yes, not a good read. It's hard to see him winning the presidency back, with things as they are now, but it'd be better if he isn't on the ballot as the GOP candidate. If he gets the Nom he has to have a non-trivial chance just because of 'events', eg a Biden incident, a bank crash, something in Russia/Ukraine etc.
    The nomination is his to lose. Could he become president then? Of course, especially if the economic backdrop worsens, as seems likely.
    Very scary on so many levels. Good for all the worst people (eg the MAGA goons and Putin) and bad for everyone else. If it were to happen my Big Short would turn into the worst single betting loss I've ever had and I can honestly hand-on-heart say I don't even think about that aspect. That's how bleak a prospect it is.
    I'd give Trump about a 40% chance of winning, if he runs against Biden. That is far too close for comfort.
    On this subject, there is an interesting feature about PB. SFAICS there are several people/positions that have Zero support with PBers. These include: Trump, Xi, Putin, Assad, all sides in Sudan, North Korea, the Burmese government and so on.

Of these one leaps out as different. Trump has tens of millions of loyal supporters in a free market liberal democracy with a free press.

But not a word of support on PB (me included) ever, while Trump is 5/2 with Hills to be the next POTUS.

is this because:
    (b) because nearly half the USA really are as authoritarian fascistlike as Putin and co and Trump's position resembles 1930s Germany

The fairly universal ability to recognise a turd by its smell?
    I would generally agree with this. It's the tens of millions of USA voters who don't that is troubling in the 1930s sort of sense. So it isn't 'fairly universal' at this moment.

Trump - like so many other demagogues - identified a genuine failing in the American economic and political system and set out to exploit it for his own ends. Just because he has been discredited in the eyes of most people doesn't mean the issues he sought to exploit have gone away. People are desperate and when he fails it is difficult for them to see whereelse they can turn. I think this applies to the majority of his support which has coalesced around a genuinely corrupt and self serving core both in the Republican party and the country as a whole.

I wrote about this for PB back in January 2021

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/01/09/this-is-not-about-trump-except-of-course-it-is/
    Very good article that, BTW.

I saw some recent polling for Biden which was very concerning. His approval ratings are even worse than Carter and Ford's, who both went on to lose. The Return of Trump nightmare remains a very real possibility.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,454
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

..But staunch Brexiteers within the Conservative ranks have criticised the change, with former business secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg accusing Mr Sunak of "behaving like a Borgia"...

That is Kemi's leadership hopes over then. The ERG and Conservative right won't forgive her abandoning repeal of EU laws. If the Tories lose the next general election she will be seen as linked as much to the defeated Sunak as Hunt now
    Who on earth will the party pick then if even she's now seen as not batty enough?
    Dunno. But as it stands it'll surely be Kemi vs Penny. I really can't see anyone else in the frame at the moment.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

I would generally agree with this. It's the tens of millions of USA voters who don't that is troubling in the 1930s sort of sense. So it isn't 'fairly universal' at this moment.

Trump - like so many other demagogues - identified a genuine failing in the American economic and political system and set out to exploit it for his own ends. Just because he has been discredited in the eyes of most people doesn't mean the issues he sought to exploit have gone away. People are desperate and when he fails it is difficult for them to see whereelse they can turn. I think this applies to the majority of his support which has coalesced around a genuinely corrupt and self serving core both in the Republican party and the country as a whole.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/01/09/this-is-not-about-trump-except-of-course-it-is/

I saw some recent polling for Biden which was very concerning. His approval ratings are even worse than Carter and Ford's, who both went on to lose. The Return of Trump nightmare remains a very real possibility.
    It is very worrying indeed. I am no Biden fan but would pick him every day of the week over Trump.

What the US (and the world) needs is both of them to fail to get the nomination and a pair of new, younger, candidates to be picked by the parties. Won't happen of course. :(
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,270
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:
    An American PB equivalent might show more Trump support, I guess. There are things about the country we struggle to understand. Although tbh I think you're being a touch generous (to us) by saying 'not a word of support' for him on here ever. I recall a fair amount in the past, and ok there's very little now but still some. Plus there will be PBers who secretly have a soft spot and keep shtum to avoid a tongue lashing.
    I have a soft spot for someone who is democratically elected by any given electorate so put me in the democracy not as bad as all the other systems column.
    Yep. An elected President Trump is better than an unelected President Trump. However there's a risk the first leads to the second so it's best to play safe and have neither imo.
    I really don't see that. Not that as we have seen we have been at the end of any kind of history but you are saying that the US is possibly headed towards autarchy I just don't believe.

Of course loathe the man but don't let that colour your usually razor-sharp assessment of the state of politics today.
    Well he had to be dragged out last time, tried to rig the election, pulling rank to intimidate officials into conjuring up votes for him, tried to get his VP to quash the certification and allow States to override with slates for him to swing it and keep him in power. This is all on the record. It happened. It didn't work but he tried alright.

So, ok, a repeat and this time successful might be far from a given - but it's a definite possibility given another 4 years in control of the GOP and the Federal government, his foaming gullible base, the levers he could pull, stack the courts, stack the legislatures, placemen all over, the manipulations etc. Object: Trump/MAGA forever.

If you don't see at least a risk worth worrying about I'll have to put it down to you not following American politics that closely. Which I know you don't and it's fair enough. It's not everyone's cup of tea.
    Trump/MAGA forever. He couldn't even get himself together to overturn the last election I think forever is a stretch.

But as you are such a close follower of US politics I will take heed and upgrade the probability of Trump/MAGA forever from 0.000001% to 0.000002%.

Thank you for your insight. I will bet accordingly.
    No need to be quite so literal. 'Trump/MAGA forever' means achieving corruption on a scale that makes him/them very hard to dislodge by the conventional means of a free & fair election.

The risk of this is far higher than you have it there. You need to move the decimal point quite a way to the right. Course if he had managed it last time we wouldn't need to assess the risk, would we? It'd be 100%.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Who on earth will the party pick then if even she's now seen as not batty enough?
    Dunno. But as it stands it'll surely be Kemi vs Penny. I really can't see anyone else in the frame at the moment.
    I wouldn't have a problem with either of them. Both miles better than any of the other likely prospects. As long as it isn't Braverman.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,472

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

• Numbers. We are in a fallow period and will remain so until Anglophone elections restart (locals don't count :) ), so we're not really focussed at the moment
    • Unrepresentativeness. PB commentators have a larger-than-usual contingent of the rich and retired, and they have more time to contribute. So the PB Overton window is shifted by them, and they tend to be anti-Trump.
    • Banning. PB has an eclectic banning policy, and Trump fans can be collateral damage. In 2020 I ran a POTUS game with one PBer (@RichardNabavi? @NPXMP?) speaking for Biden and another (@MrEd) speaking for Trump. @MrEd is now banned for other reasons.
    I assume that these conditions will change as we near Nov24 and a new cohort of people join to opine.
    If a ThomasTelford, GeorgeStephenson, RobertStevenson or JosephWhitworth appear on PB, it'd be pretty easy to see who they're sock puppets of mine...

Ah, old Joey Whitworth. An amazing man and story.
    Bit of a screw loose.
    But a plane story.
    Massive Imperialist, as well.

Shouldn’t he be cancelled for that?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,005

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Far be it from me to defend Kemi, but wasn't it Sunak who pledged to repeal all EU laws within a year as part of his leadership pitch? Who's in charge?
    The issue is Kemi is the person who has announced the plan has been abandoned and she is the person JRG and his band of Muppets is currently attacking.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,749
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

I always suspected Badenoch had some latent competence that she has kept well hidden*. Seems she's let the cat out of the bag.

* Penny Mordaunt OTOH hasn't been hiding competence.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,914
    edited May 2023
    Robert Lachky, former Chief Creative Officer for Budweiser:
    “It took us 20 years to take Bud Light beer to the No 1 beer in the country and it took them one week to dismantle it,”
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/05/11/robert-lachky-bud-light-reputation-destroyed-dylan-mulvaney/
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,709

Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

And given the F35 won't be able to carry it, we were going to have some spares on the shelf, as the Typhoon fleet declines in numbers.
    Integration with Ukrainian airframes will be interesting. Although from past experience, some will be saying how impossible it is, just as Ukraine do it (the HARM missile).
    The French made a version for UAE's Mirages (which also had its range hobbled), and there was some talk of those going to Ukraine - which now seems a bit unlikely.
    So you don't need a particularly sophisticated airframe.

Another motive for getting shut of some - they cost a fair amount to maintain:
    ...French aircraft fired 12 SCALP missiles at ISIS targets in Syria as part of Operation Chammal. These launches took place on 15 December 2015 and 2 January 2016. It is thought that these firings may have been approved after a decision by the French MOD to reduce their inventory of SCALP missiles to reduce costs...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,360
    edited May 2023
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:
    An American PB equivalent might show more Trump support, I guess. There are things about the country we struggle to understand. Although tbh I think you're being a touch generous (to us) by saying 'not a word of support' for him on here ever. I recall a fair amount in the past, and ok there's very little now but still some. Plus there will be PBers who secretly have a soft spot and keep shtum to avoid a tongue lashing.
    I have a soft spot for someone who is democratically elected by any given electorate so put me in the democracy not as bad as all the other systems column.
    Yep. An elected President Trump is better than an unelected President Trump. However there's a risk the first leads to the second so it's best to play safe and have neither imo.
    I really don't see that. Not that as we have seen we have been at the end of any kind of history but you are saying that the US is possibly headed towards autarchy I just don't believe.

Of course loathe the man but don't let that colour your usually razor-sharp assessment of the state of politics today.
    Well he had to be dragged out last time, tried to rig the election, pulling rank to intimidate officials into conjuring up votes for him, tried to get his VP to quash the certification and allow States to override with slates for him to swing it and keep him in power. This is all on the record. It happened. It didn't work but he tried alright.

So, ok, a repeat and this time successful might be far from a given - but it's a definite possibility given another 4 years in control of the GOP and the Federal government, his foaming gullible base, the levers he could pull, stack the courts, stack the legislatures, placemen all over, the manipulations etc. Object: Trump/MAGA forever.

If you don't see at least a risk worth worrying about I'll have to put it down to you not following American politics that closely. Which I know you don't and it's fair enough. It's not everyone's cup of tea.
    Trump/MAGA forever. He couldn't even get himself together to overturn the last election I think forever is a stretch.

But as you are such a close follower of US politics I will take heed and upgrade the probability of Trump/MAGA forever from 0.000001% to 0.000002%.

No need to be quite so literal. 'Trump/MAGA forever' means achieving corruption on a scale that makes him/them very hard to dislodge by the conventional means of a free & fair election.

The risk of this is far higher than you have it there. You need to move the decimal point quite a way to the right. Course if he had managed it last time we wouldn't need to assess the risk, would we? It'd be 100%.
    "...if he had managed..."

But he didn't and my point is I believe the system in the US is robust enough to see off any attempt to overthrow the government by force.

We have already discussed Jan 6th and agreed, those sane posters on PB have agreed, that is, that it was far from a coup attempt. If that's what you mean. Don't put yourself on the side of the insane posters by saying that Jan 6th was a coup.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

One of the comments:

They do.

I would have thought it was possible to implement a delay for all payments redirected via the account switching process.

But that was before I had a close look at one of the UK bank's IT infrastructure. Shall we just say there are firms in Bulgaria that I used to work with that I would trust rather more...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053

Australian monarchists have demanded that the state broadcaster apologise for its coverage of the coronation, during which its Aboriginal host suggested that British royalty had left “scars”.

The Australian Monarchist League (AML) launched a petition for an apology from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) for its “biased” coverage. The league also demanded an independent inquiry into the broadcaster’s “hijacking” of the historic occasion.

The league’s chairman, Philip Benwell, urged supporters to complain, saying that there had been “vitriolic attacks on the King, the monarchy, the British settlement and everything that came thereafter”.

The state-funded broadcaster was criticised after it aired a 45-minute discussion prior to the ceremony which featured a panel dominated by pro-republic figures — including the ABC’s leading Aboriginal host, Stan Grant, who spoke about colonisation and the damage the monarchy had inflicted on indigenous Australians.

“Before we get to the fantasy Australia, the Disneyland Australia, let’s deal with the real Australia,” Grant said in the broadcast. “Let’s not imagine that we can just look at this ceremony tonight and see this as something that is distant, that is just ceremonial and doesn’t hold weight.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/australias-state-broadcaster-accused-of-vitriolic-attacks-on-the-king-sgn72wcp9

If there were no monarchist commentators on there as well they were right to complain
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Steve Barclay
  • Options
    @Richard_Tyndall

cracking article on Trump.

As for:

"It is this disparity and this feeling that they were forgotten and scorned by the political classes which, I believe, was the driving force behind Trump’s rise to power. I do not mean that he actually cared about this issue."

Do we think for all his bonkersness he really somewhere didn't care something for the poor and left behind. I mean he's no gandhi but even from a solipsistic motive I can believe that he wanted to save the world. Not his fault that the world had already been saved by you-know-who.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Her department - and the Brexit weirdo crew never trusted Sunak anyway (for whatever reason). Now they don't trust her either.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
    edited May 2023

Did anyone see this yet?

@CatNeilan

Exclusive: A Labour MP claims she was sexually assaulted by a shadow minister
    https://t.co/vRdOP1AzQl

https://twitter.com/catneilan/status/1656604145640517632?s=46&t=2PLdUFiRAxUnHhl4l_sZDQ

Edit: deleted this comment. Check the hidden replies under the tweet if you like.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,334
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Steve Barclay
    I for one am delighted Kemi is showing common sense and if she has upset Mogg good on her

The ERG need putting in their box
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,024
    TOPPING said:

@Richard_Tyndall

As for:

"It is this disparity and this feeling that they were forgotten and scorned by the political classes which, I believe, was the driving force behind Trump’s rise to power. I do not mean that he actually cared about this issue."

Do we think for all his bonkersness he really somewhere didn't care something for the poor and left behind. I mean he's no gandhi but even from a solipsistic motive I can believe that he wanted to save the world. Not his fault that the world had already been saved by you-know-who.

Next thing you'll be telling us that he has a deep and meaningful belief in the sanctity of human life.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126
    Sandpit said:

“It took us 20 years to take Bud Light beer to the No 1 beer in the country and it took them one week to dismantle it,”
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/05/11/robert-lachky-bud-light-reputation-destroyed-dylan-mulvaney/

What happened, did someone drink it?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    TOPPING said:

@Richard_Tyndall

As for:

Since he's currently advocating a US debt shutdown*, his concern for anyone else's economic wellbeing, other than his own, is zero.
    FWIW, he's always struck me as one of those sociopaths who derives satisfaction from gaining the adulation of those he's screwing over.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/10/trump-once-more-refuses-to-admit-election-defeat-00096352
    ..When Collins noted that Trump had said that as president it was wrong for Democrats to use the prospect of default as a negotiating tactic, he responded that he had said that “when I was president.”

“So why is it different now?” Collins asked. “Because I’m not president,” Trump shot back...

• Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,265
    I see Saint-Malo!

Nearly there..

• Options
    Turkish presidential candidate quits race after release of alleged sex tape
    Muharrem İnce pulls out just days from close election race saying alleged sex tape is deepfake
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/11/muharrem-ince-turkish-presidential-candidate-withdraws-alleged-sex-tape
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,092
    Nigelb said:

CNN Failed America With Its Train Wreck of a Trump Town Hall
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/cnn-failed-america-with-its-trainwreck-of-a-trump-town-hall
    ...Halfway through the town hall, CNN staffers were acknowledging the event was a disaster for the truth.

“This is so bad,” one of CNN’s on-air personalities told The Daily Beast before the first commercial break. "I was cautiously optimistic despite the criticism... it is awful. It’s a Trump infomercial. We’re going to get crushed.”

“One of the worst hours I’ve ever seen on our air,” another CNN staffer told The Daily Beast.

And yet another on-air commentator for CNN was clear this wasn’t a good night for the cable news channel. “I’m floored by this whole evening,” this person said..

It was utterly predictable, and CNN are idiots.

One of the forgotten facts of 2015-2016 was that Trump's box office power as an entertainer was great for the news networks. They have a symbiotic relationship with him.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,561

algarkirk said:

Can I just give a wave for all the other monarchists who are not snowflakes (and not fanatics either) and are unfazed by freedom of speech and opinion. And who notice that everyone is free to attack the monarchy but on the whole the monarchy is not so free to defend itself.
    They have The Met to defend them, who use bad methods to silence pro-democracy supporters.

Charles Windsor has not condemned the Met's action, his silence is tacit condoning of the arrests.
    To my shame I have been silent on the war in the Sudan. Could you let me know which of the warlords I am tacitly condoning by this negligent inaction?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Shadow transport minister Louise Haig
    @LouHaigh
    telling #SkyNews emphatically that Labour WILL bring all railway services back into public ownership.
    @Keir_Starmer
    a few days ago said it was unaffordable and would NOT happen.
    Does the Labour Party know what it’s talking about?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

But he didn't and my point is I believe the system in the US is robust enough to see off any attempt to overthrow the government by force.

We have already discussed Jan 6th and agreed, those sane posters on PB have agreed, that is, that it was far from a coup attempt. If that's what you mean. Don't put yourself on the side of the insane posters by saying that Jan 6th was a coup.
    I'm not talking about the Jan riot. Other than provoking it in the moment I'm not sure he had much of a clue himself what was going on there. The other ways he tried to rig the election were more the attempted 'coup'. And this was plotted over a period not adlibbed. What would it look like after another 4 years of him in the WH? I don't know but it's a bit irrational to be relaxed about it.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,454
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Steve Barclay
    Bravermans got it in the bag with the Tory membership . After election defeats, with parties lost their way after some time in power, Labour goes left, Tories go right.

Bravermans already the unofficial right wing opposition leader to Truss and Sunak. She is unsackable now.

You are absolutely right to support the saner candidate in Barclay. But any centerist moderate or continuity for Sunak and Hunts economic policy stands less than zero chance. Take Bravermans very forceful telling off of police for taking the pubs golliwogs away as widely reported across media - 98% of people believe she did do that, 2% know she actually didn’t.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014

Sandpit said:

Wasn’t me guv! Wouldn’t touch the stuff.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

@Richard_Tyndall

As for:

Next thing you'll be telling us that he has a deep and meaningful belief in the sanctity of human life.
    He is sorting the War out in one day

Sounds good

and believable!!
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Muharrem İnce pulls out just days from close election race saying alleged sex tape is deepfake
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/11/muharrem-ince-turkish-presidential-candidate-withdraws-alleged-sex-tape

If it’s deepfake, why pull out?

No double entendre intended. Honest.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

@Richard_Tyndall

As for:

Moreso than Tony Blair or Pol Pot you mean?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

@Richard_Tyndall

As for:

1) No
    2) If you are a proper solipsist there isn't a world to save
    (this is problematic for solipsistic narcissists with a messiah complex)
    3) Did he by any chance make the trains run on time?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/cnn-failed-america-with-its-trainwreck-of-a-trump-town-hall
    ...Halfway through the town hall, CNN staffers were acknowledging the event was a disaster for the truth.

“This is so bad,” one of CNN’s on-air personalities told The Daily Beast before the first commercial break. "I was cautiously optimistic despite the criticism... it is awful. It’s a Trump infomercial. We’re going to get crushed.”

“One of the worst hours I’ve ever seen on our air,” another CNN staffer told The Daily Beast.

And yet another on-air commentator for CNN was clear this wasn’t a good night for the cable news channel. “I’m floored by this whole evening,” this person said..

One of the forgotten facts of 2015-2016 was that Trump's box office power as an entertainer was great for the news networks. They have a symbiotic relationship with him.
    They certainly haven't forgotten.

CNN's decision to hold this for Trump's benefit so that he could repeat his lies in prime time, in front of a friendly audience, was entirely cynical.

Their CEO congratulated himself on "making news".
  • Options

I see Saint-Malo!

Nearly there..

It all looks fantastic but do I have this right that your day job consists of miles and miles of walking and you have gone on a holiday which consists of, er, miles and miles of walking?

Did I miss the reason for this although there doesn't need to be any kind of reason with some of the amazing sights you've posted here.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

And given the F35 won't be able to carry it, we were going to have some spares on the shelf, as the Typhoon fleet declines in numbers.
    Integration with Ukrainian airframes will be interesting. Although from past experience, some will be saying how impossible it is, just as Ukraine do it (the HARM missile).
    The French made a version for UAE's Mirages (which also had its range hobbled), and there was some talk of those going to Ukraine - which now seems a bit unlikely.

The Mirage 2000 Diesel is a very sophisticated aircraft with glass cockpit, HOTAS, FLIR, multi mode radar, etc. The Fencer (proposed UAF Storm Shadow platform) is junk in comparison but all it has to do is not get shot down long enough to get a launch.

Recall, that despite the excitement over HARM, only one UAF Fulcrum (Blue 12, their only MU2 upgraded a/c) was capable of an AGM-88 launch and the only documented thing they ever hit with it was a block of flats in Kramatorsk by accident. The breathless trumpeting of the latest NATO wonder weapons is as much about propaganda and morale as it is about any actual or expected military effect.

The Russians do this all the time with Kinzhal, Sarmat, etc. for much the same reasons and it is as enthusiastically slurped up. #winninghere #overbychristmas #wheresthef16s
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851

Sandpit said:

Ordinary Bud tastes as bad as Goblin cum. Bud light tastes even worse.

Why would anyone wish to drink this abominable pastiche of Budvar/Budweiss?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

I'm not talking about the Jan riot. Other than provoking it in the moment I'm not sure he had much of a clue himself what was going on there. The other ways he tried to rig the election were more the attempted 'coup'. And this was plotted over a period not adlibbed. What would it look like after another 4 years of him in the WH? I don't know but it's a bit irrational to be relaxed about it.
    I'm pretty relaxed about the state of democracy in the US. What probability do you ascribe to the US govt being overthrown by force in the next five years.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

If it’s deepfake, why pull out?

No double entendre intended. Honest.
    Because Ince wasn't going to win and the 2-3% of support he had will go to Kılıçdaroğlu

Which means Kılıçdaroğlu now has a chance of hitting 51% in the first round - from reading round the biggest worry the opposition had was that it went to a second round of voting where Erdogan could try and pull tricks.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

If ever a contest demanded to be decided by ordeal by combat it is this.

• Options

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

It is very worrying indeed. I am no Biden fan but would pick him every day of the week over Trump.

What the US (and the world) needs is both of them to fail to get the nomination and a pair of new, younger, candidates to be picked by the parties. Won't happen of course. :(
    SSI was quite right to castigate those Democrats who claim to want a Trump candidacy because it will mean an easy win.

In a close, two-horse race, he is one Biden mishap away from winning.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Because in middle america it's the best of a few far worse options?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

@Richard_Tyndall

As for:

I did spend a lot of time considering that question and I am afraid that - whilst I never believe things are as black and white as they are painted - I did come to the conclusion that Trump really didn't and doesn't give a Monkey's about the fate of the US Working and Middle classes. Their problems were a means to an end for him, nothing more. He would attempt to solve their problems where that improved his chances of re-election but so much of what he did was really just lip service.

Now I know I can't prove this. It is really nothing more than a gut feeling based on my own personal biases and my observations. But I think that it is a reasonable view to adopt - at least in the absence of any evidence to the contrary.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Steve Barclay
    I for one am delighted Kemi is showing common sense and if she has upset Mogg good on her

The ERG need putting in their box
    That will only happen when moderates like you vote against the Tory party. Til then they have licence to do what they're doing.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I see Saint-Malo!

Nearly there..

It all looks fantastic but do I have this right that your day job consists of miles and miles of walking and you have gone on a holiday which consists of, er, miles and miles of walking?

Did I miss the reason for this although there doesn't need to be any kind of reason with some of the amazing sights you've posted here.
    Pretty much on the money, though I’d move one of your “miles” from work to holiday!

I might be something of a mad masochist..
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

The counterargument is, of course, its popularity.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

@Richard_Tyndall

As for:

I did spend a lot of time considering that question and I am afraid that - whilst I never believe things are as black and white as they are painted - I did come to the conclusion that Trump really didn't and doesn't give a Monkey's about the fate of the US Working and Middle classes. Their problems were a means to an end for him, nothing more. He would attempt to solve their problems where that improved his chances of re-election but so much of what he did was really just lip service.

Now I know I can't prove this. It is really nothing more than a gut feeling based on my own personal biases and my observations. But I think that it is a reasonable view to adopt - at least in the absence of any evidence to the contrary.
    I mean, obviously so. He talks about himself so much, always rolling around in the gutter of some grievance or perceived slight. People like that don't care about others. He is a malignant narcissist and will be so until the day he dies. It's as plain as day.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Steve Barclay
    Bravermans got it in the bag with the Tory membership . After election defeats, with parties lost their way after some time in power, Labour goes left, Tories go right.

Bravermans already the unofficial right wing opposition leader to Truss and Sunak. She is unsackable now.

You are absolutely right to support the saner candidate in Barclay. But any centerist moderate or continuity for Sunak and Hunts economic policy stands less than zero chance. Take Bravermans very forceful telling off of police for taking the pubs golliwogs away as widely reported across media - 98% of people believe she did do that, 2% know she actually didn’t.
    Braverman won't get through Tory MPs.

Most likely Tory MPs will pick a final 2 of Barclay v Mordaunt or Tugendhat in my view to go to members. Assuming Rishi resigns as party leader after losing the next general election
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

I'll treat that story with the same skepticism I did your claim about the share price 'crashing' ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Steve Barclay

Most likely Tory MPs will pick a final 2 of Barclay v Mordaunt or Tugendhat in my view to go to members. Assuming Rishi resigns as party leader after losing the next general election
    What's Barclay's story? Why will the MPs pick him? Isn't Tommy Tugs too européen. Although I think he might have been in the army.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,880
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

The Mirage 2000 Diesel is a very sophisticated aircraft with glass cockpit, HOTAS, FLIR, multi mode radar, etc. The Fencer (proposed UAF Storm Shadow platform) is junk in comparison but all it has to do is not get shot down long enough to get a launch.

Recall, that despite the excitement over HARM, only one UAF Fulcrum (Blue 12, their only MU2 upgraded a/c) was capable of an AGM-88 launch and the only documented thing they ever hit with it was a block of flats in Kramatorsk by accident. The breathless trumpeting of the latest NATO wonder weapons is as much about propaganda and morale as it is about any actual or expected military effect.

The Russians do this all the time with Kinzhal, Sarmat, etc. for much the same reasons and it is as enthusiastically slurped up. #winninghere #overbychristmas #wheresthef16s
    "Diesel"? Was that an autocorrect for "Dassault"?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

I'm pretty relaxed about the state of democracy in the US. What probability do you ascribe to the US govt being overthrown by force in the next five years.
    The worrying thing is that you can actually ask: "What probability do you ascribe to the US govt being overthrown by force in the next five years"? and not have it seem a stupid, impossible scenario.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

Just the nickname for the 2000D.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Steve Barclay

“ Braverman won't get through Tory MPs.”

😂 that posts a keeper
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

Not a military event with soldiers and tanks etc, an insidious, top to bottom corruption of politics and the judiciary. The chance that American democracy is debauched beyond recognition in that way by 4 more years of Trump? - greater than 50% imo.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Yes, they rather created the monster, didn't they.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,777
    Losing Brighton Green councillor:

She said: “I’ve had an incredible four years but I am absolutely heartbroken and in shock.

“It’s so f***ing cruel that I don’t get to continue on the incredible journey I was having.

I gave it my everything and I’m not quite sure what is left of me with it stripped away.”

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23512635.former-green-brighton-councillor-shares-sorrow-election-loss/

While it’s tough losing elections (and mine was one of the votes she didn’t get) - a bit more about voters and a bit less about herself might be a missing element…
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

Not a military event with soldiers and tanks etc, an insidious, top to bottom corruption of politics and the judiciary. The chance that American democracy is debauched beyond recognition in that way by 4 more years of Trump? - greater than 50% imo.
    How to get a third term must be vexing DJT. The bar for a constitutional amendment is almost impossibly high. Some SCOTUS shenanigans?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

Is there a list of which posters are sane or insane?
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Steve Barclay

What's Barclay's story? Why will the MPs pick him? Isn't Tommy Tugs too européen. Although I think he might have been in the army.
    Barclay was loyal to Boris, a Leaver but also a Sunak backer in both leadership contests so likely gets most Rishi MPs behind him if Rishi resigns after election defeat.

Tugendhat was a Remainer but also backed Truss in the final 2 so will pick up most of his backing from the leadership contest last summer plus add some Truss supporters and Hunt supporters. Mordaunt will be a contender too having been 3rd last summer with Tory MPs
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,723
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Steve Barclay

Barclay is a Brexiteer who wants to beggar the public services. Makes Starmer look like Mr Charisma, but hits a sweet spot with the Tory punters.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

Sources, please. ;)
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Which is a mystery, certainly.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

We have had some massively entertaining psychological meltdowns from a few regulars but the genuinely stricken don't tend to last very long.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

@Richard_Tyndall

As for:

Since he's currently advocating a US debt shutdown*, his concern for anyone else's economic wellbeing, other than his own, is zero.
    FWIW, he's always struck me as one of those sociopaths who derives satisfaction from gaining the adulation of those he's screwing over.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/10/trump-once-more-refuses-to-admit-election-defeat-00096352
    ..When Collins noted that Trump had said that as president it was wrong for Democrats to use the prospect of default as a negotiating tactic, he responded that he had said that “when I was president.”

“So why is it different now?” Collins asked. “Because I’m not president,” Trump shot back...

He has contempt for his supporters. Like big time drug dealers do for the people who get hooked on their product. It's not dissimilar to that.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Farooq said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Bud Light is to beer as Eurovision is to music
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Farooq said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

It's not really. I think you're partly feigning this snobbery so I won't be too down on you but a good, predictable, middle-of-the-road beer is what people like. Most people want that rather than a sour blackcurrent Mikkeller beer or a craft microbrew with organic Simcoe hops. People like boring and predictable.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,747

Losing Brighton Green councillor:

She said: “I’ve had an incredible four years but I am absolutely heartbroken and in shock.

“It’s so f***ing cruel that I don’t get to continue on the incredible journey I was having.

I gave it my everything and I’m not quite sure what is left of me with it stripped away.”

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/23512635.former-green-brighton-councillor-shares-sorrow-election-loss/

While it’s tough losing elections (and mine was one of the votes she didn’t get) - a bit more about voters and a bit less about herself might be a missing element…

Maybe that's why she lost.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Or even České Budějovice.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

How to get a third term must be vexing DJT. The bar for a constitutional amendment is almost impossibly high. Some SCOTUS shenanigans?
    Or a puppet maybe, like Putin arranged for his interregnum.

But, look, I mustn't let you drag me into this bleakness - cos he won't get that 2nd term! And no 2nd no 3rd.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Do you have to be experienced in goblin a goblin to know the taste of Goblin cum? That said, it Goblin semen tastes as bad as Budweisser then in must be bad.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,777
    Now that’s what I call a bollocking….

Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle has issued a fierce rebuke to Kemi Badenoch

https://twitter.com/dailymirror/status/1656684232423399424
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Farooq said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

It is to beer what KFC is to fine dining
  • Options

Now that’s what I call a bollocking….

Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle has issued a fierce rebuke to Kemi Badenoch

https://twitter.com/dailymirror/status/1656684232423399424

Seemed a bit contrived and silly to me. I normally like him but he would be best to show a little more humility before he starts seeming like his predecessor
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

Or a puppet maybe, like Putin arranged for his interregnum.
    Who, though? He certainly doesn't trust anyone and he doesn’t appear to like anyone. The only one I could see is Ivanka but she has quit MAGAworld. I don't think he'd give DJTJ a job licking stamps. Eric, LOL.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

god yes.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Or even České Budějovice.
    That’s easy for you to say.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,352
    Talking of shite American things, the Gazette has just commissioned me to do a travel article on..... wait for it.... Cincinnati. Yes, the Newent of USA, the Wick of the Midwest, the Walsall of Jesus Christ Why There?

Can anyone cheer me up? Is there any remotely positive thing about Cincinnati that I can look forward to?

THIRD on its list of major attractions is "The American Sign Museum"

HELP
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Steve Barclay

Barclay was loyal to Boris, a Leaver but also a Sunak backer in both leadership contests so likely gets most Rishi MPs behind him if Rishi resigns after election defeat.

Tugendhat was a Remainer but also backed Truss in the final 2 so will pick up most of his backing from the leadership contest last summer plus add some Truss supporters and Hunt supporters. Mordaunt will be a contender too having been 3rd last summer with Tory MPs
    There is a slight problem for Barclay. He is a first class twat. Didn't stop Johnson of course
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,092

Sean_F said:

Farooq said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Eurovision is a more suitable vehicle for a cameo appearance by Dylan Mulvaney.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,719
    edited May 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

viewcode said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

Just the nickname for the 2000D.
    I bet I wasn't the only PBer wondering why the French made a diesel version. I mean, I know gazole is a bit cheaper in France but...

...it turned out to be be just a mirage.
  • Options
    DialupDialup Posts: 561
    Let us be honest now.

If Keir Starmer was PM now the Tories would be saying what a terrible day it was for the economy.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Farooq said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Bud will be delighted with that. Eurovision gets bigger every year. If it carries on like this it'll transcend the World Cup before too long.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Talking of shite American things, the Gazette has just commissioned me to do a travel article on..... wait for it.... Cincinnati. Yes, the Newent of USA, the Wick of the Midwest, the Walsall of Jesus Christ Why There?

Can anyone cheer me up? Is there any remotely positive thing about Cincinnati that I can look forward to?

HELP

Don't diss Cincinnati kid.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059037/
  • Options
    Leon said:

HELP

Cincinatti WKRP. Great US TV comedy.

The Thanksgiving Turkey Bomb episode is one of the finest bits of comedy in US history.

Use it as a hook into your article.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Steve Barclay

There is a slight problem for Barclay. He is a first class twat. Didn't stop Johnson of course
    Sounds ideally suited to be a Tory leader tbh.
This discussion has been closed.