Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Archbishop’s attack on the small boats plan makes several front pages – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,824

Incidentally, these “donor dinners” or whatever they are, seem to happen every couple of months. Biden comes to Manhattan and whoever this donor is, they seem to live v close to my kids’ school.

They close down all the nearest roads, including Fifth Avenue, and it’s an absolute nightmare.

Thank goodness London doesn’t half close down just because Rishi wants to go to Wimbledon or something.

He takes a helicopter?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,336
    edited May 2023

DavidL said:

Growth upgraded

Biggest upgrade in history and no recession

So models which had built in assumptions that the UK would underperform because of Brexit proved to be seriously wrong. Forecasts that the UK would be the worst performer of the G7 are also wrong. The UK's performance is being more influenced by a somewhat expansionary government policy.

I am shocked. Just shocked. Who could possibly have foreseen such a thing?
    And in spite of the rapid falls in inflation predicted by some people not coming to pass. Tricky thing this prediction business.
    Bank of England governor just confirmed live on tv inflation will half this year
    Of course it will. Utility price inflation going from 90% to slightly negative will, on its own, lead to a halving in inflation. Almost nobody thinks inflation won't fall by at least a half in the next year. Why do you think Sunak chose this as a government "target"?
    In Big G world, Sunak is working tirelessly to bring down inflation, absolutely tirelessly.
    If inflation halves this year Sunak will have reached one of his objectives no matter how you try to degrade it
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,006

DavidL said:

Growth upgraded

So models which had built in assumptions that the UK would underperform because of Brexit proved to be seriously wrong. Forecasts that the UK would be the worst performer of the G7 are also wrong. The UK's performance is being more influenced by a somewhat expansionary government policy.

And in spite of the rapid falls in inflation predicted by some people not coming to pass. Tricky thing this prediction business.
    Bank of England governor just confirmed live on tv inflation will half this year
    Of course it will. Utility price inflation going from 90% to slightly negative will, on its own, lead to a halving in inflation. Almost nobody thinks inflation won't fall by at least a half in the next year. Why do you think Sunak chose this as a government "target"?
    In Big G world, Sunak is working tirelessly to bring down inflation, absolutely tirelessly.
    If inflation halves this year Sunak will have reached one of his objectives no matter how you try to degrade it
    Inflation at 5% still means that you need a 5% wage increase to not feel poorer.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

Dialup said:

The planning system must be changed so mobile phone masts can be built anywhere they are needed. People should not be allowed to reject them. This is critical infrastructure

Maybe it's time for people to stop being so reliant on mobile phones. Life hasn't exactly improved a lot since they were introduced.
    To be fair to the telecoms sector, the transformation in ability to convey data, at volume and speed, from anywhere to anywhere has been revolutionary over the past 30 years or so. It has transformed a range of industries, and thank goodness we had it during the pandemic to reduce the economic earthquake, for example.

You're thinking of it, I suspect, simply in terms of people watching videos on the train or whatever. Whilst it's easy enough to sneer at that as a "benefit", firstly a lot of people do in fact enjoy it, and secondly it's the tip of the iceberg in terms of what mobile networks are doing.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,264
    eek said:

DavidL said:

Growth upgraded

Just confirmed he thinks / expects inflation will halve this year.

That would make inflation 5% or so.

So to keep up with prices in April 2022 in April 2024 you need to have a 16.5% pay increase (random months picked but I have a contract renewal pending and it's nice to work out what increase I need).
    Yes. The Tory promise is a slogan which is telling people "we understand the cost of living crisis, we will make things cheaper".

But they will not be cheaper. The mahoosive cost price increases remain, with a slower continued increase going forard.

Tories will say "we have delivered a drop in inflation, vote for us, you feel better off", voters will say "no we're not". And then Tories will start to sneer and belittle the voters. Because they are that stupid.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,336
    eek said:

DavidL said:

Growth upgraded

Inflation at 5% still means that you need a 5% wage increase to not feel poorer.

Of course but everyone must agree controlling inflation is a must
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,516
    eek said:

DavidL said:

Growth upgraded

Which is essentially what the public sector are expected to accept in 2023.

Except that it won't be 5% more to take home, because of tax thresholds being frozen.

"Are you better off than four five or fourteen years ago?" as the Gipper put it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,719

DavidL said:

Growth upgraded

If Sunak reaches the end of this year as PM, he'll also have achieved another of his objectives.
    I'll be impressed if he manages not to achieve both.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,274
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Depressing write up on BBC about Trump's town hall event. Basically that he will never stop saying 2020 was rigged, will pardon 6 Jan rioters, will definitely shift policy on Ukraine (though exactly how is unclear, but ending it in 24 hours as he suggests could only occur if he stopped ongoing support), and that the audience was eating out of the palm of his hand.

If they get the chance the party will pick him again and the representatives will fall in line.

Yes, not a good read. It's hard to see him winning the presidency back, with things as they are now, but it'd be better if he isn't on the ballot as the GOP candidate. If he gets the Nom he has to have a non-trivial chance just because of 'events', eg a Biden incident, a bank crash, something in Russia/Ukraine etc.
    The nomination is his to lose. Could he become president then? Of course, especially if the economic backdrop worsens, as seems likely.
    Very scary on so many levels. Good for all the worst people (eg the MAGA goons and Putin) and bad for everyone else. If it were to happen my Big Short would turn into the worst single betting loss I've ever had and I can honestly hand-on-heart say I don't even think about that aspect. That's how bleak a prospect it is.
    I'd give Trump about a 40% chance of winning, if he runs against Biden. That is far too close for comfort.
    Share the sentiment but I rate it more a 25%.
    On this subject, there is an interesting feature about PB. SFAICS there are several people/positions that have Zero support with PBers. These include: Trump, Xi, Putin, Assad, all sides in Sudan, North Korea, the Burmese government and so on.

Of these one leaps out as different. Trump has tens of millions of loyal supporters in a free market liberal democracy with a free press.

But not a word of support on PB (me included) ever, while Trump is 5/2 with Hills to be the next POTUS.

is this because:
    (a) the PB Overton window is actually quite small
    (b) because nearly half the USA really are as authoritarian fascistlike as Putin and co and Trump's position resembles 1930s Germany
    (c) something else. (What?)
    An American PB equivalent might show more Trump support, I guess. There are things about the country we struggle to understand. Although tbh I think you're being a touch generous (to us) by saying 'not a word of support' for him on here ever. I recall a fair amount in the past, and ok there's very little now but still some. Plus there will be PBers who secretly have a soft spot and keep shtum to avoid a tongue lashing.
    I have a soft spot for someone who is democratically elected by any given electorate so put me in the democracy not as bad as all the other systems column.
    Yep. An elected President Trump is better than an unelected President Trump. However there's a risk the first leads to the second so it's best to play safe and have neither imo.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,265

Andy_JS said:

Dialup said:

The planning system must be changed so mobile phone masts can be built anywhere they are needed. People should not be allowed to reject them. This is critical infrastructure

Maybe it's time for people to stop being so reliant on mobile phones. Life hasn't exactly improved a lot since they were introduced.
    Actually I would suggest exactly the opposite. Life for most people has been transformed in a positive way by mobile phones.
    If I’d tried this holiday with a map and a Michelin guide I expect I’d have walked just as far, spent more than double the money and would be about two hundred miles behind where I am now
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,347

Andy_JS said:

Dialup said:

To be fair to the telecoms sector, the transformation in ability to convey data, at volume and speed, from anywhere to anywhere has been revolutionary over the past 30 years or so. It has transformed a range of industries, and thank goodness we had it during the pandemic to reduce the economic earthquake, for example.

You're thinking of it, I suspect, simply in terms of people watching videos on the train or whatever. Whilst it's easy enough to sneer at that as a "benefit", firstly a lot of people do in fact enjoy it, and secondly it's the tip of the iceberg in terms of what mobile networks are doing.
    Since the thread is also talking about trains, engineers working on the tracks now have access to a lot more data about the track and its maintenance history - thanks to mobile networks - then they would have done in the age of paper.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,126

DavidL said:

Growth upgraded

Sunak's target is already degraded by a number of things, including (a) the fact that it is almost impossible to miss owing to the mechanical impact of last year's energy price increase dropping out of the headline number and (b) the fact that controlling inflation has been subcontracted to the BOE for several decades and so Sunak's power to influence this number is limited.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,200
    Carnyx said:

Incidentally, these “donor dinners” or whatever they are, seem to happen every couple of months. Biden comes to Manhattan and whoever this donor is, they seem to live v close to my kids’ school.

They close down all the nearest roads, including Fifth Avenue, and it’s an absolute nightmare.

Thank goodness London doesn’t half close down just because Rishi wants to go to Wimbledon or something.

He takes a helicopter?
    Fitness for fat cops is his priority.

• Options

eek said:

DavidL said:

Growth upgraded

But, as David L (?) pointed up upthread, the government has decided to hold back a bit on the war on inflation. We'll have the automatic reduction as fuel bills fall out of the maths, but we're still left with quite a bit of inflation.

The trade-off is faster growth, which may be desirable, but it is taking the government's foot off inflation's neck.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    edited May 2023
    algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Depressing write up on BBC about Trump's town hall event. Basically that he will never stop saying 2020 was rigged, will pardon 6 Jan rioters, will definitely shift policy on Ukraine (though exactly how is unclear, but ending it in 24 hours as he suggests could only occur if he stopped ongoing support), and that the audience was eating out of the palm of his hand.

If they get the chance the party will pick him again and the representatives will fall in line.

Yes, not a good read. It's hard to see him winning the presidency back, with things as they are now, but it'd be better if he isn't on the ballot as the GOP candidate. If he gets the Nom he has to have a non-trivial chance just because of 'events', eg a Biden incident, a bank crash, something in Russia/Ukraine etc.
    The nomination is his to lose. Could he become president then? Of course, especially if the economic backdrop worsens, as seems likely.
    Very scary on so many levels. Good for all the worst people (eg the MAGA goons and Putin) and bad for everyone else. If it were to happen my Big Short would turn into the worst single betting loss I've ever had and I can honestly hand-on-heart say I don't even think about that aspect. That's how bleak a prospect it is.
    I'd give Trump about a 40% chance of winning, if he runs against Biden. That is far too close for comfort.
    On this subject, there is an interesting feature about PB. SFAICS there are several people/positions that have Zero support with PBers. These include: Trump, Xi, Putin, Assad, all sides in Sudan, North Korea, the Burmese government and so on.

Of these one leaps out as different. Trump has tens of millions of loyal supporters in a free market liberal democracy with a free press.

But not a word of support on PB (me included) ever, while Trump is 5/2 with Hills to be the next POTUS.

is this because:
    (b) because nearly half the USA really are as authoritarian fascistlike as Putin and co and Trump's position resembles 1930s Germany

The fairly universal ability to recognise a turd by its smell?
    I would generally agree with this. It's the tens of millions of USA voters who don't that is troubling in the 1930s sort of sense. So it isn't 'fairly universal' at this moment.

Trump - like so many other demagogues - identified a genuine failing in the American economic and political system and set out to exploit it for his own ends. Just because he has been discredited in the eyes of most people doesn't mean the issues he sought to exploit have gone away. People are desperate and when he fails it is difficult for them to see whereelse they can turn. I think this applies to the majority of his support which has coalesced around a genuinely corrupt and self serving core both in the Republican party and the country as a whole.

I wrote about this for PB back in January 2021

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2021/01/09/this-is-not-about-trump-except-of-course-it-is/
  • Options

eek said:

DavidL said:

Growth upgraded

Which is essentially what the public sector are expected to accept in 2023.

Except that it won't be 5% more to take home, because of tax thresholds being frozen.

"Are you better off than four five or fourteen years ago?" as the Gipper put it.
    Public sector - the answer is likely to be nope.

Private sector - it's possible if you play hardball or are willing / able to move employer...

Otherwise the answer will be nope.

The reason why Labour won't use it as a battle ground is because things aren't going to get much better between 2024 and 2028/9.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482

Dialup said:

You know who said something along those lines?

Has Dialup denied being a new identity for CHB - if not I am not sure of the need for the ongoing investigation.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,309

eek said:

DavidL said:

Growth upgraded

Says the man who just got a 10.1% pay rise?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,368
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:
    An American PB equivalent might show more Trump support, I guess. There are things about the country we struggle to understand. Although tbh I think you're being a touch generous (to us) by saying 'not a word of support' for him on here ever. I recall a fair amount in the past, and ok there's very little now but still some. Plus there will be PBers who secretly have a soft spot and keep shtum to avoid a tongue lashing.
    I have a soft spot for someone who is democratically elected by any given electorate so put me in the democracy not as bad as all the other systems column.
    Yep. An elected President Trump is better than an unelected President Trump. However there's a risk the first leads to the second so it's best to play safe and have neither imo.
    I really don't see that. Not that as we have seen we have been at the end of any kind of history but you are saying that the US is possibly headed towards autarchy I just don't believe.

Of course loathe the man but don't let that colour your usually razor-sharp assessment of the state of politics today.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

The fairly universal ability to recognise a turd by its smell?
    I would generally agree with this. It's the tens of millions of USA voters who don't that is troubling in the 1930s sort of sense. So it isn't 'fairly universal' at this moment.

George W Bush's favourite observation applies. You can fool some of the people all of the time and those are the ones you want!
    How inefficient.

Fooling them once every four years is plenty.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,749
    edited May 2023
    Scam phone call watch. Just got a call from this number on a landline.

https://who-calls.me.uk/phone/01135139666

One of the comments:

"Offering a free medical device to all 'elderly' people over the age of 50. Claimed to be based in London, calling from a Leeds area code. Clearly using a call router and dodgy af."
  • Options

Carnyx said:

He takes a helicopter?

I expect that the cops running alongside are those who failed the pre-escort mental arithmetic test - all part of Sunak's drive to improve Maths skills. Sounds a lot like Truss, actually.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Simply not true. BR was developing and investing in new trains enormously. Diesels, DMUs, 125, 225, electrifrication at far greater speed and value for money than today.

Privatisers were to a great extent living off BR's carcass and picking the meat from it for many years. The private railway companies were still using bloody Pacers (a mistake of BR, it should be said) decades later!

That is both right and wrong. Privatisation did lead to a years-long stall in new orders, but when that was over they really got going. But they were also battling a massive (and unexpected) increase in passengers and services.

If anything, we have the opposite problem, with stock build 10-12 years ago off to the scrappers. And that might be as much the DfT's fault as it is the operators.

Pacers were also blooming useful. They were perhaps kept a decade too long, but they should never be called a 'mistake'. They were ideal for the services they were used on.

Carnyx said:

Dialup said:

Dialup said:

I am not professing to say that nationalisation will suddenly make the trains better. I just do not see what we are getting by paying private companies to run the trains.

If they were owned by the government today, they would be exactly the same, as say LNER is, we just don't have the money going abroad. I cannot see how anyone objects to that.

For a patriotic country that apparently wants to take back control, what could be more pro-Britain than that? Why are we so useless France have to run our trains? FRANCE!

Private companies built the railways. Private companies actually invest in new trains and rolling stock rather than relying on massively outdated stuff as it used to be under BR. The worst part of the rail network and the part that causes the most delays is the track and infrastructure - which is in public hands.
    The train I use was bought by BR.
    Dialup said:

I am not professing to say that nationalisation will suddenly make the trains better. I just do not see what we are getting by paying private companies to run the trains.

If they were owned by the government today, they would be exactly the same, as say LNER is, we just don't have the money going abroad. I cannot see how anyone objects to that.

For a patriotic country that apparently wants to take back control, what could be more pro-Britain than that? Why are we so useless France have to run our trains? FRANCE!

Private companies built the railways. Private companies actually invest in new trains and rolling stock rather than relying on massively outdated stuff as it used to be under BR. The worst part of the rail network and the part that causes the most delays is the track and infrastructure - which is in public hands.
    Simply not true. BR was developing and investing in new trains enormously. Diesels, DMUs, 125, 225, electrifrication at far greater speed and value for money than today.

Privatisers were to a great extent living off BR's carcass and picking the meat from it for many years. The private railway companies were still using bloody Pacers (a mistake of BR, it should be said) decades later!
    This is simply not true. After the big diesel switch over which was inevitable, BR let the whole rail network rot. Yes they had their flagship intercity 125 programme but that was at the cost of underinvestment in the other 90% of the network. And the rolling stock was old, delapidated and unrelible.

In the mid 1980s under BR there were around 650 million passenger journeys a year. In 2018 just prior to the pandemic there were 1.8 billion passenger journies a year. Almost a 3 fold increase. And railways share of total travel has doubled since privatisation. In spite of this we also have the safest railways in Europe - and far safer than they were prior to privatisation. And punctuality is almost exactly the same as it was pre-privatisation at around 90%.
    Point taken re Pacers.

But both of you are using what happened in much more recent years to 'disprove' what BR would have done if it had been kept in state control. Simply not on, logically. Edit: though, by the same logic, I can't prove you are wrong!

And the combination of private firms plus DfT has been lethal in many ways. From the Railtrack disaster to the chaos of electrification.

Just look at all the graphs of investment, rail usage and safety for the last 50 years or so of the railways. Look at how they all steadily decline throughout the age of natinalised rail ownership. And look at how they all turn a corner and start to improve massively after privatisation. It is way too much of a coincidence to say it would have happened anyway.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

WillG said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

A

glw said:

Heathener said:

It's appalling but I'm probably in a minority. Especially my view that with chronic labour shortages across many sectors the answer to get Britain's economy booming is, er, migration.

We have very high net migration right now. Half a million more people, net, for the last year. That means just to meet the needs of migrants we need to build an entire Birmingham sized city, and all associated infrastructure, every couple of years. We are not coming remotely close to that.

Is there any number of migrants that you would call too many?
    Im not a believer in putting set numbers of migrants as a limit. Immigration has immensely benefited this country over the last 50 years. We now have a more cosmopolitan outward looking population.
    What if 6 billion people arrived in the U.K. next week?

Everything has limits. Just because the subject makes you uncomfortable, doesn’t make it go away.

I say build a Birmingham each year to cope with the increasing population. Then you hear people whining both about restrictions on immigration *and* wanting the country not to change.

If you want a more “cosmopolitan” population then you are either in favour of more Birminghams or you are an idiot. Pick one.
    I don’t know that I’m favour of the current Birmingham, let alone more of them. There must be a way of accommodating an increasing population without building more Birminghams. Can we build more Milton Keyneses?

Either way, the current high rates of immigration are Conservative Party policy. If people don’t like them, vote out the Conservatives.
    Population of MK is 250k, so there need to be two more MKs built every year, just to stand still on housing the population increase. Which means in practice three or four new MKs per year, for the next few years.
    A tweet from earlier today (from a source I would trust to have accurate figures) reckons 700,000 immigrants arrived last year.

So it's 3 Milton Keynes a year and 2 of them probably need to be in the South East.
    Yes, although 250k are Ukranians, of whom more than 80% are living with families on what’s presumably a temporary basis. There were a couple of hundred thousand from HK as well, which was a one-off but they still need housing. There were also a couple of hundred thousand who left the country last year, so net immigration is closer to 500k.
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

A

glw said:

Heathener said:

It's appalling but I'm probably in a minority. Especially my view that with chronic labour shortages across many sectors the answer to get Britain's economy booming is, er, migration.

We have very high net migration right now. Half a million more people, net, for the last year. That means just to meet the needs of migrants we need to build an entire Birmingham sized city, and all associated infrastructure, every couple of years. We are not coming remotely close to that.

Is there any number of migrants that you would call too many?
    Im not a believer in putting set numbers of migrants as a limit. Immigration has immensely benefited this country over the last 50 years. We now have a more cosmopolitan outward looking population.
    What if 6 billion people arrived in the U.K. next week?

Everything has limits. Just because the subject makes you uncomfortable, doesn’t make it go away.

I say build a Birmingham each year to cope with the increasing population. Then you hear people whining both about restrictions on immigration *and* wanting the country not to change.

If you want a more “cosmopolitan” population then you are either in favour of more Birminghams or you are an idiot. Pick one.
    I don’t know that I’m favour of the current Birmingham, let alone more of them. There must be a way of accommodating an increasing population without building more Birminghams. Can we build more Milton Keyneses?

Either way, the current high rates of immigration are Conservative Party policy. If people don’t like them, vote out the Conservatives.
    Population of MK is 250k, so there need to be two more MKs built every year, just to stand still on housing the population increase. Which means in practice three or four new MKs per year, for the next few years.
    A tweet from earlier today (from a source I would trust to have accurate figures) reckons 700,000 immigrants arrived last year.

So it's 3 Milton Keynes a year and 2 of them probably need to be in the South East.
    Yes, although 250k are Ukranians, of whom more than 80% are living with families on what’s presumably a temporary basis. There were a couple of hundred thousand from HK as well, which was a one-off but they still need housing. There were also a couple of hundred thousand who left the country last year, so net immigration is closer to 500k.
    Well, it is "tens of thousands" as promised by Cameron. Just 50 tens.

I don't know why gammons get sand in the vag over the channel boats. The numbers are inconsequential compared to the tory mass inward migration project.
    Its alwaus amusing when the open borders brigade get to a point in the debate where they run out of logical arguments so throw out racist slurs as a way to divert attentiom from their weak position. Positively Trumpian.
    Your position would be more honest if you just admitted you dont like immigrants.
    The Ukranian immigrants to the UK have been awesome! Shame they’ll almost all go back to Ukraine, once the Russian army has been sent back to Russia having run out of tanks.
    Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Ukraine #Zaluzhnyi, and top commander #Syrskyi rumoured to have been killed recently in Russian missile strikes.

Thats not good news.

https://twitter.com/Russia_Truth/status/1656613605243068416?s=20
    There is no fucking way Zaluzhny is dead. He's the Pentagon's guy and the backup plan if Z goes off script so he is very well protected. Sirs'kiy has been so minutely micromanaged in Bakhmut it wouldn’t make any difference if he got wasted or not.
    You just can't help yourself can you?

In what sense is Zaluzhny the Pentagon's guy? Yet again you want to insult the Ukrainians as if they are nothing more than American proxies. Yet it is quite clear they are anything but. Zaluzhny didn't please many in the US defence establishment with his demands for weapons last Christmas and as for the 'backup plan if Z goes off script' what's that supposed to mean? If Zelensky was on script regards what the US wants he wouldn't be talking about Crimea, demanding aircraft and long range missiles.

Why do you bother? You must know this is a site full of well informed people. Wouldn't twitter be more fertile territory for you to be spreading your snide bullshit?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    RobD said:

Roger said:

glw said:

Roger said:

Someone upthread just used the old trope ' .......City the size of Birmingham'

At your next UKIP meeting why not suggest updating it to 'Four towns the size of Harlepool?

Oh FFS Roger it's not complicated. Net 500k people arrive here each year, means we need a new Birmingham (~1 million people) worth of everything every couple of years. That's the scale of the issue. It's to make it more concrete than the somewhat abstract 0.7% more.

Nobody is saying we literally clone Birmingham every two years. It simply happens to have a conveniently sized population for such discussions.
    Instead of painting silly pictures to excite xenophobes why not suggest a maximum of 2 children per family? That should reduce the numbers and would save on the unprodctive school years. We could then say we've cut it to a town the size of Florence
    The average is already significantly lower, 1.6.
    He's clueless.
  • Options
    You didn't share this piece of priceless tw@ttery.
    ..But staunch Brexiteers within the Conservative ranks have criticised the change, with former business secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg accusing Mr Sunak of "behaving like a Borgia"...

I'm curious - is he implying adultery, incest, theft, bribery, or murder ?
    (I think we can rule out simony.)
  • Options

Dialup said:

Has Dialup denied being a new identity for CHB - if not I am not sure of the need for the ongoing investigation.
    Yes

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    edited May 2023

Carnyx said:

He takes a helicopter?

I expect that the cops running alongside are those who failed the pre-escort mental arithmetic test - all part of Sunak's drive to improve Maths skills. Sounds a lot like Truss, actually.
    That was funny to watch, but there were understandable reasons behind it. A protest in town and a specific threat to the PM.

Usually, the PM has one of the smallest convoys for any head of government - 5 cars and 4 bikes. The bikes are there to stop traffic ahead, rather than deal with potential incidents involving pedestrian protestors.

As @Gardenwalker says upthread, in the US they close down whole city blocks for hours, when the President passes through.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482

DavidL said:

Growth upgraded

Sunak's target is already degraded by a number of things, including (a) the fact that it is almost impossible to miss owing to the mechanical impact of last year's energy price increase dropping out of the headline number and (b) the fact that controlling inflation has been subcontracted to the BOE for several decades and so Sunak's power to influence this number is limited.

DavidL said:

Growth upgraded

Sunak actually has far more levers to reduce inflation than the BOE - they only have interest rates. The Government can reduce VAT, green levies and other relevant forms of taxation, take action against monopolies and price-gouging, take steps to increase supply of energy in the medium to long term, take steps to increase the supply of food in the medium to long term, and offer subsidies in the form of a discount that reduces the price of something (eg. energy) - least preferred option as that's a temporary fix. They aren't doing much because they're useless and/or disinclined. Indeed the Government's own actions have impeded the supply of domestic hydrocarbons in favour of less eco-friendly imports.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,489
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

"Adrian Hilton💎
    @Adrian_Hilton

Fujitsu staff had ‘unrestricted and unauditable’ remote access to Post Office branch systems? Good grief. So somebody was lying in the High Court? I ask again, why is Paula Vennells still in Holy Orders with a CBE?

#PostOfficeScandal"
    https://twitter.com/Adrian_Hilton/status/1656609940826476545

We just had a nice Fujitsu cock-up in Japan. They were contracted to build a system where you could print your government personal record at convenience stores. They made it save the record of the data it had to print in a file identified by the time. As soon as it started being used enough that two people in different convenient stores were using the system at the same time, the system started randomly printing out other people's data.
    So Fujitsu are institutionally incapable of implementing transactionality?
    The parallel will only be complete when the recipient of the wrong data gets sent to jail for having obtained it.
    You realise the Met have probably read that post, and setup a unit to arrest people accessing their data while black.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,010
    Nigelb said:

..But staunch Brexiteers within the Conservative ranks have criticised the change, with former business secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg accusing Mr Sunak of "behaving like a Borgia"...

It's all a bit tepid from the ERGonauts. You can tell they don't really give a fuck any more.
  • Options

Dialup said:

Yes

Could be worse. Casino was screaming for me to get the ban hammer for quoting things that are already in the public domain and not denied by the people saying them.

Essentially pointing out that Tory ministers do racist things and chase racist votes is libellous. Or something, as its not remotely in anyone's actual definitions of defamation when it's true.

Tories like this strategy though. Zahawi threatened libel against against a reporter who exposed the truth. Houchen and Clarke screaming about Andy McDonald supposedly libelling them/Teesworks developers in the HoC, yet they haven't gone after Private Eye who wrote it up in vivid detail with FOI evidence.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817
  • Options
    The important thing about Sunak's inflation target is that it's for inflation to halve - not to decrease too much and hit the BoE inflation target of 2%.

A few years of 5% inflation would suit the Treasury. Lots of extra tax through fiscal drag, real-terms cuts to public sector pay, etc, but not such high inflation that the public complain too much.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

#Turkey poll alert: Respected polling company Konda has released its final poll.

• Kilicdaroglu: 49.3%
    • Erdogan; 43.7%
    • Ogan: 4.8%
    • Ince: 2.2%

It was conducted on 6-7 May, with 3480 people

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1656588203292237825

Looks a big gap.
    Big enough?

The BBC had a documentary on Erdogan with one of the commentators saying if the margin isn't big Erdogan will do what he can to try and carry on.
  • Options
    “A group of women who went to high school with Justice Elena Kagan wanted to send her bagels and lox from a legendary deli on the Lower East Side. But they scrapped the plan after Kagan expressed concerns about the court’s ethics rules for reporting.”
    https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1656641104274415616
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,833
    Good for Speaker Lindsey.

All governments/ministers piss off the speaker of the day at some point or other...
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

Dialup said:

Yes

Could be worse. Casino was screaming for me to get the ban hammer for quoting things that are already in the public domain and not denied by the people saying them.

Essentially pointing out that Tory ministers do racist things and chase racist votes is libellous. Or something, as its not remotely in anyone's actual definitions of defamation when it's true.

Tories like this strategy though. Zahawi threatened libel against against a reporter who exposed the truth. Houchen and Clarke screaming about Andy McDonald supposedly libelling them/Teesworks developers in the HoC, yet they haven't gone after Private Eye who wrote it up in vivid detail with FOI evidence.
    I think it is a strategy used by politicians of all stripes. You really ought to try and have a little bit of subtlety to your hatred of "Tories" and then you would be seen as a little more nuanced in your views and not appear to be yet another swivel-eyed Tory-hating nutjob.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
    edited May 2023

Nigelb said:

#Turkey poll alert: Respected polling company Konda has released its final poll.

• Erdogan; 43.7%

Looks a big gap.
    Big enough?

The BBC had a documentary on Erdogan with one of the commentators saying if the margin isn't big Erdogan will do what he can to try and carry on.
    So what did for him? Without the earthquake, would he still be ahead?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

It's all a bit tepid from the ERGonauts. You can tell they don't really give a fuck any more.
    Abandoned by Bridgen, morale is clearly slipping.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

If Sunak has decided to wind up the nutters of the ERG we really can believe that the Tories are on the road to (perhaps partial) recovery
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Good for Speaker Lindsey.

All governments/ministers piss off the speaker of the day at some point or other...
    Announcements of policy and legislation should always be in Parliament. The Speaker is right, even if I’m personally a fan of Kemi.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Nigelb said:

• Erdogan; 43.7%

Looks a big gap.
    Big enough?

Yep
  • Options
    Getting 'interesting' in Pakistan, too.

Supreme Court has declared Imran Khan's arrest, by paramilitary units, from Islamabad High Court illegal. Now what does it mean? because judicial system in Pakistan is very weak & executive in no mood to listen to courts. Is this a cosmetic measure to create impression that courts exist? to send crowds back to home and then arrest through Islamabad High Court again? ...because the conduct of Chief Justice of IHC, in all this drama, has already raised very difficult questions..
    https://twitter.com/MoeedNj/status/1656645853883375616
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,159
    Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 46% (+2)
    CON: 30% (-1)
    LDEM: 9% (-)
    REF: 5% (-)
    GRN: 3% (-)

via
    @Savanta_UK
    , 05 - 07 May

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1656638499846586369?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
    eek said:

carnforth said:

Nigelb said:

• Erdogan; 43.7%

Looks a big gap.
    Big enough?

Yep
    I see one of the minor candidates has dropped out too:

https://www.barrons.com/news/turkish-candidate-drops-out-of-presidential-race-93eb5fa6?refsec=topics_afp-news
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,159
    edited May 2023
    Nigelb said:

• Erdogan; 43.7%

Hope Ince gets it though. He deserves another shot after getting fired by Reading.
  • Options

Dialup said:

Yes

I think it is a strategy used by politicians of all stripes. You really ought to try and have a little bit of subtlety to your hatred of "Tories" and then you would be seen as a little more nuanced in your views and not appear to be yet another swivel-eyed Tory-hating nutjob.
    I can only talk about what is happening now. I am not aware of any other party hiding behind libel threats to stop the truth coming out.

I don't hate anyone - a nasty emotion which does more damage to the hater than the hatee.

Tell me that anything I said about Zahawi and Houchen/Clarke and on here earlier Casino isn't true and I will post the proof that it is. They're all frit.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

One of the comments:

"Offering a free medical device to all 'elderly' people over the age of 50. Claimed to be based in London, calling from a Leeds area code. Clearly using a call router and dodgy af."

Someone on here tried to claim to me that fraud in the UK was not endemic. It may not be endemic in the literal sense but it is widespread, constantly present and highly damaging. I saw a report on BBC this morning to say there have been over 3 million cases of fraud (I assume in last year).

The banks need to recognise that it is far too easy to con people into transferring their money. The only solution I can think of is for the banking system to at least hold transferred monies for 48 hours before it appears in another overseas account enabling a customer to realise they have been conned.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

“A group of women who went to high school with Justice Elena Kagan wanted to send her bagels and lox from a legendary deli on the Lower East Side. But they scrapped the plan after Kagan expressed concerns about the court’s ethics rules for reporting.”
    https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1656641104274415616

Note this wasn't some performative gesture to wind up Clarence Thomas - the story dates from a couple of years back. The contrast is damning.
    ...The Washington Post has valued Crow’s gifts, favors and transactions with Thomas at being worth millions of dollars, including Crow purchasing Thomas’ mother’s home and paying private school tuition for Thomas’ nephew.

Starer added that Kagan, who would have received a comparatively small gift, told her in their 2021 email exchanges: “I have to take these ethics and reporting considerations very seriously.”

And unlike the women who’ve known Kagan since she was a teenager, Crow did not know Thomas before his Supreme Court appointment ..
  • Options
    Another bad poll for the Tories.

"Britain Elects
    @BritainElects

via @Savanta_UK, 05 - 07 May"
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363

Dialup said:

Easy to deal with Dialup. Never feed a troll.
  • Options
    "Seema Malhotra MP💙
    @SeemaMalhotra1

It's shocking that Post Office executive took bonuses for participating in Sir Wyn Williams's inquiry into the Horizon Scandal - which they had a statutory duty to do.

As ever in this ongoing saga - just when you think we've reached a low, a new low is reached."

https://twitter.com/SeemaMalhotra1/status/1656338805148745738
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

One of the comments:

Someone on here tried to claim to me that fraud in the UK was not endemic. It may not be endemic in the literal sense but it is widespread, constantly present and highly damaging. I saw a report on BBC this morning to say there have been over 3 million cases of fraud (I assume in last year).

The banks need to recognise that it is far too easy to con people into transferring their money. The only solution I can think of is for the banking system to at least hold transferred monies for 48 hours before it appears in another overseas account enabling a customer to realise they have been conned.
    Watching from afar, there seems to be a massive disconnect between the banks insisting on multiple levels of KYC for normal customers, yet having no idea where the money went when a customer complains of being scammed with a domestic transfer.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Britain Elects
    @BritainElects

We all discussed the other day about what could turn the tide for the Tories. I know that some of you have clung to the odd poll showing hints of recovery, but last week's destruction and most of the polls surely demonstrate that to be hope against hope as opposed to reality.

*Something* needs to change. And the chairman having to resort back to the Liam Byrne note isn't going to do it.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Nigelb said:

• Erdogan; 43.7%

Looks a big gap.
    Big enough?

The economy has been a mess for a while. He's been trailing in the polls for a while. According to Leon I Kemalist revival has been going on.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Nigelb said:

• Erdogan; 43.7%

Hope Ince gets it though. He deserves another shot after getting fired by Reading.
    As @carnforth has just pointed out Ince has dropped out and a suspect 90%+ of Ince's support will go to Kilicdaroglu given the party Ince was formerly the leader of.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

carnforth said:

Nigelb said:

• Erdogan; 43.7%

Looks a big gap.
    Big enough?

The economy has been a mess for a while. He's been trailing in the polls for a while. According to Leon I Kemalist revival has been going on.
    Turkey is a country of haves and have nots - the latter of whom was Erdogan's core base - so while the economy was a mess until the earthquake the mess wasn't have a major impact on Erdogan's support (it was lower but only halve the current gap).
  • Options

Dialup said:

Yes

I can only talk about what is happening now. I am not aware of any other party hiding behind libel threats to stop the truth coming out.

I don't hate anyone - a nasty emotion which does more damage to the hater than the hatee.

Tell me that anything I said about Zahawi and Houchen/Clarke and on here earlier Casino isn't true and I will post the proof that it is. They're all frit.
    I am no fan of Zahawi and don't know of the other case, but straight off the top of my head I know that there have been a number of cases of Labour politicians nobbling the press and a certain large Labour donor who allegedly took out a super injunction. I am not going to mention them exactly because I am not sure of the validity of the stories and don't want this site to get any legal flack.

I haven't voted Tory for the last two GEs, so am not exactly a fan, but I think the efforts made by Conservative opponents to try and suggest that the Conservative Party is corrupt is toxic and highly damaging to our democracy. Those on the left indulge in it far too often. There are bad apples in all major parties, but most politicians are actually decent people.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,052
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

One of the comments:

Watching from afar, there seems to be a massive disconnect between the banks insisting on multiple levels of KYC for normal customers, yet having no idea where the money went when a customer complains of being scammed with a domestic transfer.
    Banks should be made to report the amount of money they're spending paying back victims of fraud, and the amount of fraud they believe has occurred within, from and to their accounts.
  • Options
    Did anyone see this yet?

@CatNeilan

Exclusive: A Labour MP claims she was sexually assaulted by a shadow minister
    https://t.co/vRdOP1AzQl

https://twitter.com/catneilan/status/1656604145640517632?s=46&t=2PLdUFiRAxUnHhl4l_sZDQ
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

One of the comments:

Regulators regulate the easy stuff.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,062
    Nigelb said:

That is Kemi's leadership hopes over then. The ERG and Conservative right won't forgive her abandoning repeal of EU laws. If the Tories lose the next general election she will be seen as linked as much to the defeated Sunak as Hunt now
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

StormShadow confirmed for Ukraine. Up to 300km range...

Interesting timing, just ahead of the predicted offensive.
    It might be very useful indeed to target the ammunition dumps the Russians have pulled back outside the range of HIMARs - the threat alone will complicate their logistics.

And given the F35 won't be able to carry it, we were gong to have some spares on the shelf, as the Typhoon fleet declines in numbers.
  • Options
    From what I've read Kilicdaroglu seems like a good chap. The main criticism has been his age and ability to beat Erdogan compared to other candidates. The fact they've all come together as one is a good sign.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

That is Kemi's leadership hopes over then. The ERG and Conservative right won't forgive her abandoning repeal of EU laws. If the Tories lose the next general election she will be seen as linked as much to the defeated Sunak as Hunt now
    It was a cretinous piece of legislation, but she'll get little credit for seeing sense. Certainly not from the ERGs.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,062
    edited May 2023
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,069

Taz said:

Dialup said:

Sherlock Livermore, as I live and breathe !!!!
    He was bound to foal up once he had the bit between his teeth
    Better be careful or he will accuse you of battery
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    "Defends' is a bit of a stretch.

Another profile in courage from the ex VP.
    ...“I think that’s a question for the American people. I really can’t comment on a judgment in a civil case,” Pence replied. “I have no knowledge of those matters and I’m sure the president will defend himself in that matter.”..</i.
  • Options

Taz said:

Dialup said:

You might be correct there
  • Options
    eek said:

carnforth said:

Nigelb said:

• Erdogan; 43.7%

Looks a big gap.
    Big enough?

Turkey is a country of haves and have nots - the latter of whom was Erdogan's core base - so while the economy was a mess until the earthquake the mess wasn't have a major impact on Erdogan's support (it was lower but only halve the current gap).
    Syrian refugees are also a significant issues amongst the have-nots as well. Turkey has welcomed millions of Syrian refugees over the last decade, and about four million remain. This is causing certain friction, as might be expected. Hundreds of thousands of Syrians have been born in Turkey since 2011.

(Turkey needs congratulating for the way they've treated the refugees; but economic problematic times makes any friction worse; as does Erdogan's actions in Syria)
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

One of the comments:

Banks should be made to report the amount of money they're spending paying back victims of fraud, and the amount of fraud they believe has occurred within, from and to their accounts.
    The outrageous thing is that people are still losing money to Authorised Push Payment Fraud (APP) and only slightly over 50% of people ever see their money back. These people are being defrauded. The banks are essentially saying they are culpable which is disgraceful, when they deny that it is the weakness of their systems that enable the fraud.
  • Options

From what I've read Kilicdaroglu seems like a good chap. The main criticism has been his age and ability to beat Erdogan compared to other candidates. The fact they've all come together as one is a good sign.

Mrs J went to vote the other week in London. Despite very long queues, she was done within an hour. It was very well organised.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

One of the comments:

Number ended in 666.. def dodgy!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,519
    Why are monarchists such snowflakes?

Australian monarchists have demanded that the state broadcaster apologise for its coverage of the coronation, during which its Aboriginal host suggested that British royalty had left “scars”.

The Australian Monarchist League (AML) launched a petition for an apology from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) for its “biased” coverage. The league also demanded an independent inquiry into the broadcaster’s “hijacking” of the historic occasion.

The league’s chairman, Philip Benwell, urged supporters to complain, saying that there had been “vitriolic attacks on the King, the monarchy, the British settlement and everything that came thereafter”.

The state-funded broadcaster was criticised after it aired a 45-minute discussion prior to the ceremony which featured a panel dominated by pro-republic figures — including the ABC’s leading Aboriginal host, Stan Grant, who spoke about colonisation and the damage the monarchy had inflicted on indigenous Australians.

“Before we get to the fantasy Australia, the Disneyland Australia, let’s deal with the real Australia,” Grant said in the broadcast. “Let’s not imagine that we can just look at this ceremony tonight and see this as something that is distant, that is just ceremonial and doesn’t hold weight.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/australias-state-broadcaster-accused-of-vitriolic-attacks-on-the-king-sgn72wcp9
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,885
    edited May 2023
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

• Numbers. We are in a fallow period and will remain so until Anglophone elections restart (locals don't count :) ), so we're not really focussed at the moment
    • Unrepresentativeness. PB commentators have a larger-than-usual contingent of the rich and retired, and they have more time to contribute. So the PB Overton window is shifted by them, and they tend to be anti-Trump.
    • Banning. PB has an eclectic banning policy, and Trump fans can be collateral damage. In 2020 I ran a POTUS game with one PBer (@RichardNabavi? @NPXMP?) speaking for Biden and another (@MrEd) speaking for Trump. @MrEd is now banned for other reasons.
    I assume that these conditions will change as we near Nov24 and a new cohort of people join to opine.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135
    Andy_JS said:

"Britain Elects
    @BritainElects

It looks as though the LIb Dems surged too soon.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

It might be very useful indeed to target the ammunition dumps the Russians have pulled back outside the range of HIMARs - the threat alone will complicate their logistics.

And given the F35 won't be able to carry it, we were gong to have some spares on the shelf, as the Typhoon fleet declines in numbers.
    Integration with Ukrainian airframes will be interesting. Although from past experience, some will be saying how impossible it is, just as Ukraine do it (the HARM missile).
  • Options

Taz said:

Dialup said:

I guess he may have come up with that one on the hoof
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

One of the comments:

They do.

https://www.ukfinance.org.uk/system/files/Fraud The Facts 2021- FINAL.pdf
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

One of the comments:

They do.

It would be much better if they made their online banking systems less open to fraudsters to con people
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

One of the comments:

They do.

Thanks. Are there any splits by bank?

As a matter of interest, what is the process for the reporting? Are there any checks/validation of the reported data?

(Yes, I don't trust banks.)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

• Numbers. We are in a fallow period and will remain so until Anglophone elections restart (locals don't count :) ), so we're not really focussed at the moment
    • Unrepresentativeness. PB commentators have a larger-than-usual contingent of the rich and retired, and they have more time to contribute. So the PB Overton window is shifted by them, and they tend to be anti-Trump.
    • Banning. PB has an eclectic banning policy, and Trump fans can be collateral damage. In 2020 I ran a POTUS game with one PBer (@RichardNabavi? @NPXMP?) speaking for Biden and another (@MrEd) speaking for Trump. @MrEd is now banned for other reasons.
    I assume that these conditions will change as we near Nov24 and a new cohort of people join to opine.
    If a ThomasTelford, GeorgeStephenson, RobertStevenson or JosephWhitworth appear on PB, it'd be pretty easy to see who they're sock puppets of mine...

Ah, old Joey Whitworth. An amazing man and story.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

One of the comments:

They do.

As a matter of interest, what is the process for the reporting? Are there any checks/validation of the reported data?

Some banks do report them some do not at this level.

We report based on annual accounts and internal reporting, these are regulated by the BOE/PRA/FCA etc.

When I press submit there's a great big warning that I may be committing a crime if I deliberately post misleading information/exclude relevant information.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Andy_JS said:

"Britain Elects
    @BritainElects

It looks as though the LIb Dems surged too soon.
    Sadly I cannot find the Spitting Image episode with The Two Davids in bed together back in the 80s with David Steele saying "But David, David, the surge, the surge, I feel the surge" or something like that.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,092

When I press submit there's a great big warning that I may be committing a crime if I deliberate post misleading information/exclude relevant information.

Does this feature need to be added to PB?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

One of the comments:

They do.

(Snip)
    So it's not compulsory for them to do so?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

One of the comments:

They do.

(Snip)
    So it's not compulsory for them to do so?
    It is compulsory that we inform the regulators but not to the public.

Remember their may well be active ongoing criminal investigations, so what we can post is restricted.
  • Options

When I press submit there's a great big warning that I may be committing a crime if I deliberate post misleading information/exclude relevant information.

Does this feature need to be added to PB?
    Yes, although Robert may apply a Radiohead filter to it.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,564

Australian monarchists have demanded that the state broadcaster apologise for its coverage of the coronation, during which its Aboriginal host suggested that British royalty had left “scars”.

The Australian Monarchist League (AML) launched a petition for an apology from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) for its “biased” coverage. The league also demanded an independent inquiry into the broadcaster’s “hijacking” of the historic occasion.

The league’s chairman, Philip Benwell, urged supporters to complain, saying that there had been “vitriolic attacks on the King, the monarchy, the British settlement and everything that came thereafter”.

The state-funded broadcaster was criticised after it aired a 45-minute discussion prior to the ceremony which featured a panel dominated by pro-republic figures — including the ABC’s leading Aboriginal host, Stan Grant, who spoke about colonisation and the damage the monarchy had inflicted on indigenous Australians.

“Before we get to the fantasy Australia, the Disneyland Australia, let’s deal with the real Australia,” Grant said in the broadcast. “Let’s not imagine that we can just look at this ceremony tonight and see this as something that is distant, that is just ceremonial and doesn’t hold weight.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/australias-state-broadcaster-accused-of-vitriolic-attacks-on-the-king-sgn72wcp9

Can I just give a wave for all the other monarchists who are not snowflakes (and not fanatics either) and are unfazed by freedom of speech and opinion. And who notice that everyone is free to attack the monarchy but on the whole the monarchy is not so free to defend itself.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:
    I really don't see that. Not that as we have seen we have been at the end of any kind of history but you are saying that the US is possibly headed towards autarchy I just don't believe.

Of course loathe the man but don't let that colour your usually razor-sharp assessment of the state of politics today.
    Well he had to be dragged out last time, tried to rig the election, pulling rank to intimidate officials into conjuring up votes for him, tried to get his VP to quash the certification and allow States to override with slates for him to swing it and keep him in power. This is all on the record. It happened. It didn't work but he tried alright.

So, ok, a repeat and this time successful might be far from a given - but it's a definite possibility given another 4 years in control of the GOP and the Federal government, his foaming gullible base, the levers he could pull, stack the courts, stack the legislatures, placemen all over, the manipulations etc. Object: Trump/MAGA forever.

If you don't see at least a risk worth worrying about I'll have to put it down to you not following American politics that closely. Which I know you don't and it's fair enough. It's not everyone's cup of tea.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Can I just give a wave for all the other monarchists who are not snowflakes (and not fanatics either) and are unfazed by freedom of speech and opinion. And who notice that everyone is free to attack the monarchy but on the whole the monarchy is not so free to defend itself.
    They have The Met to defend them, who use bad methods to silence pro-democracy supporters.

Charles Windsor has not condemned the Met's action, his silence is tacit condoning of the arrests.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

AlistairM said:

In addition, apparently is is 'has been supplied', rather than 'will supply'. That indicates they are in-country and ready for service. I hope that we and the Ukes have been busy planning the integration onto their planes.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Remember that all the US banks that are currently going belly up are Audited by KPMG -btw it seems that PacWest will be this weekend's rescue.

Well it seems that KPMG want to introduce AI into the equation so they can really screw their Audits up https://info.kpmg.us/news-perspectives/technology-innovation/kpmg-microsoft-genai-2023.html
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,368
    edited May 2023
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

Well he had to be dragged out last time, tried to rig the election, pulling rank to intimidate officials into conjuring up votes for him, tried to get his VP to quash the certification and allow States to override with slates for him to swing it and keep him in power. This is all on the record. It happened. It didn't work but he tried alright.

So, ok, a repeat and this time successful might be far from a given - but it's a definite possibility given another 4 years in control of the GOP and the Federal government, his foaming gullible base, the levers he could pull, stack the courts, stack the legislatures, placemen all over, the manipulations etc. Object: Trump/MAGA forever.

If you don't see at least a risk worth worrying about I'll have to put it down to you not following American politics that closely. Which I know you don't and it's fair enough. It's not everyone's cup of tea.
    Trump/MAGA forever. He couldn't even get himself together to overturn the last election I think forever is a stretch.

But as you are such a close follower of US politics I will take heed and upgrade the probability of Trump/MAGA forever from 0.000001% to 0.000002%.

Thank you for your insight. I will bet accordingly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Who on earth will the party pick then if even she's now seen as not batty enough?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

One of the comments:

They do.

Okay. You work for a bank. If my granny sends a bunch of money to an account at your bank, why can you not immediately associate an individual with that account, given that my granny had to jump through a thousand hoops to keep her own account open?
  • Options

viewcode said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

is this because:

If a ThomasTelford, GeorgeStephenson, RobertStevenson or JosephWhitworth appear on PB, it'd be pretty easy to see who they're sock puppets of mine...

Ah, old Joey Whitworth. An amazing man and story.
    Bit of a screw loose.
This discussion has been closed.