Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

HAS LABOUR CAUGHT UP WITH THE SNP IN SCOTTISH GENERAL ELECTION POLLING? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,615
    Tres said:

Chris said:

The funny thing is you can just imagine the kind of discussion that took place.

"Prime Minister, in line with your cunning plan of getting tough with migrants to win back the racist vote, let's really get the BBC to crack the whip against broadcasters who aren't toeing the line. Good idea?"

Sunak grins inanely.

Phone call to BBC ...

.. And now this ...

It may have been a distraction tactic on their part to get Sunak bunging the French £500mn in return for being smiled at for a couple of hours off the front pages.
    I'd imagine the Government were hoping for the Macron-Sunak deal to be leading on all the Sunday front pages. Now no-one is going to notice.
    That's not what the polling says.
  • Options
    FosterFoster Posts: 47
    Leon said:

It’s the absolute childishness of all this that astonishes. The Tories are not like 1930s Germany and cancelling the BBC Singers is not the new Belsen

We have all been infantilised by social media. I wonder if it is literally lowering IQs. It is certainly coarsening and trivialising political debate

It seems to me iqs have fallen dramatically since 2020...maybe the stress of covid has taken its toll.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2023
    One thing people are forgetting is that it's actually all a bit more personally felt for Lineker, for a particular reason.

He's been putting up refugees in his own house for years, because people have accused him of being a rich hypocrite, in the typical modern Daily Mail style for anyone usually on the more educated or affluent left. So in fact ,he isn't, and he's personally met more of the people who might be affected by the government's proposed legislation than most . Hence he doesn't feel any reason to back down.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302

Liverpool has shown solidarity with Lineker by having their defence not turn up today.

To be fair, they seem to been on strike for most of the season, perhaps in solidarity with the unions..
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

"Prime Minister, in line with your cunning plan of getting tough with migrants to win back the racist vote, let's really get the BBC to crack the whip against broadcasters who aren't toeing the line. Good idea?"

Sunak grins inanely.

Phone call to BBC ...

.. And now this ...

It may have been a distraction tactic on their part to get Sunak bunging the French £500mn in return for being smiled at for a couple of hours off the front pages.
    If they had any sense, yes. But I suspect that they thought paying half a billion - for what the right-wing press had been saying the French should have been doing all along, as a matter of absolute duty - would be some kind of public relations triumph.

I wonder how many times Sunak grinned inanely at Macron during the negotiations.
    Haven't seen any PB Tories quoting Kipling: not that I think it is modern Danegeld, but some folk sure will:

It is wrong to put temptation in the path of any nation,
       For fear they should succumb and go astray;
    So when you are requested to pay up or be molested,
       You will find it better policy to say: –

"We never pay any-one Dane-geld,
       No matter how trifling the cost;
    For the end of that game is oppression and shame,
       And the nation that plays it is lost!"
    We paid Dane-geld when we paid the Americans compensation for the Alabama affair. And that was in our pomp. Arguably we should have told them to fuck off then too.
  • Options

One thing people are forgetting is that it's actually all a bit more personally felt for Lineker, for a particular reason.

He's been putting up refugees in his own house for years, because people have accused him of being a rich hypocrite, in the typical modern Daily Mail style for anyone usually on the more educated or affluent left. So in fact ,he isn't, and he's personally met more of the people who might be affected by the government's legislation than most.

Perhaps they're tax deductable.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036
    Still waiting for UnHerd to "challenge the herd" with a refreshing blast of free speech absolutism.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBattery3CorrectHorseBattery3 Posts: 2,757
    edited March 2023

Liverpool has shown solidarity with Lineker by having their defence not turn up today.

To be fair, they seem to been on strike for most of the season, perhaps in solidarity with the unions..
    They turned up for 7 once, or as the number is now referred, "Manchester United"
  • Options
    edited March 2023

He's been putting up refugees in his own house for years, because people have accused him of being a rich hypocrite, in the typical modern Daily Mail style for anyone usually on the more educated or affluent left. So in fact ,he isn't.

I don't believe this is quite true. I believe he took a couple, each for a 2-3 weeks. I don't think he has turned into some who have housed refugees week in week out for years e.g. the couple that housed the guy who blew himself up in Liverpool.

e.g. Gary explained how he went through the screening process before Rasheed came to stay with him for a total of three weeks.

https://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/articles/gary-lineker-housing-a-refugee-and-explains-why-he-did-it-bbc-sir-bobby-charlton
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,335
    edited March 2023
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

OllyT said:

Today, we have learnt that Lefties are thick, predictable, stupid, herd-like, hyberbolic, surprisingly sensitive, entirely lacking in self-awareness, dumb, possess no sense of irony, hysterical, brainless, and enthusiastic sheep.

Actually, maybe we already knew that.

Did I mention they were idiots?

Anyway, my day beckons.

Happy frothing everyone.

Sounds like it's you that's losing it, yet again.
    He'll tell you or me to fuck off or challenge us to a fight soon.
    Which you richly deserved.

You drove two friends of mine off the site- @Charles and @Cyclefree - who I know in real life, and you've been personally abusive to me (repeatedly) for no reason other than the fact you dislike my politics.

I am sympathetic to the fact you have mental health issues - and I don't want anyone to suffer from that - but your needy behaviour where you are desperate to be both right and liked (coupled with nastiness and abuse on top) is totally unacceptable - and has real world impacts - and doesn't get a free pass from me for its impact on people I care about. You more than anyone should know that.

Sorry.

Reconsider your attitude and your life.

You can start by apologising and making amends.
    Was that actually @CorrectHorseBattery? My memory might be deceiving me but I thought @charles got doxxed by @ishmael
    Yes, Ishmael told Charles that he knew some of his cousins and they were nowhere near as pompous and name-dropping as he was. Charles took umbrage and departed.
    I don’t like it when anyone leaves, or gets banned. Even if I find them obnoxious, PB is a pub and a pub needs people

@charles is much missed. Quite wise and thoughtful

And yes @IshmaelZ could be a little vituperative and nasty, esp after a drink, but he was also clever and witty and had refreshingly unusual opinions

I also liked @RodCrosby

I accept that Holocaust Denial is right up there in the list of modern social sins but if you believe in free speech you believe in free speech. And I do. Also he was a nice guy in private communication and an actual genius in some of his political analysis

And bring back @isam as well

Bring everyone back!
    Isam owes me £300.
    Disagreed with most of Isam's politics but I'd have assumed he'd always be a straight arrow when it came to betting. Disappointing.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    edited March 2023
    Chris said:

biggles said:

Chris said:

biggles said:

Chris said:

The BBC's long-running Radio 5 Live show Fighting Talk, where guests compete for points, has also been pulled from Saturday's scheduling.
    In a tweet
    , presenter Colin Murray said: "No Fighting Talk today, for obvious reasons. In the interest of transparency, this was a decision taken by the entire FT team and myself."

Never heard of it, but apparently still within the sports area. The BBC must be praying that news and current affairs staff don't get in on the act.

Don’t they have anyone who is actually on the payroll and required to go to work? Actually, surely a lot of these freelancers are in breach of contract if they had previously agreed to turn up?
    And who knows? Perhaps the BBC's contract with Gary Lineker doesn't just entitle the BBC to do what the hell it likes? I hope we'll find out.
    Erm, those things are not the same. The BBC can choose to still pay him if there’s any legal risk, but not have him on screen. For the pundits I would find it surprising if they can just choose not to turn up without there being any consequences beyond a loss of pay that day.
    If you've seen the contracts, please do enlighten us. It would be very interesting.

If you're just guessing, not so much ...
    Why are you deciding to be prick? Are you assuming I’m defending the government or in favour of him being sacked, because neither is the case. Read my posts, to the extent I’ve even touched on the issue at all.

Why is everyone so prickly on here today? This is all froth and trivia about tv personalities.

My first point is obvious - he can’t have a contract that guarantees him tv time. The second is almost as obvious to anyone who has ever dealt with these sorts of contracts.
  • Options

He's been putting up refugees in his own house for years, because people have accused him of being a rich hypocrite, in the typical modern Daily Mail style for anyone usually on the more educated or affluent left. So in fact ,he isn't.

I don't believe this is quite true. I believe he took a couple, each for a 2-3 weeks.

e.g. Gary explained how he went through the screening process before Rasheed came to stay with him for a total of three weeks.

https://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/articles/gary-lineker-housing-a-refugee-and-explains-why-he-did-it-bbc-sir-bobby-charlton
    ..which is much more than most people have done, including all the people sneering at him on social media.
  • Options

He's been putting up refugees in his own house for years, because people have accused him of being a rich hypocrite, in the typical modern Daily Mail style for anyone usually on the more educated or affluent left. So in fact ,he isn't, and he's personally met more of the people who might be affected by the government's legislation than most.

You cant win. If you are poor and want to make a fairer society you are envious and jealous.If rich a champagne swilling socialust hypocrite.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,161

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sunak grins inanely.

Phone call to BBC ...

.. And now this ...

If they had any sense, yes. But I suspect that they thought paying half a billion - for what the right-wing press had been saying the French should have been doing all along, as a matter of absolute duty - would be some kind of public relations triumph.

I wonder how many times Sunak grinned inanely at Macron during the negotiations.
    Haven't seen any PB Tories quoting Kipling: not that I think it is modern Danegeld, but some folk sure will:

We paid Dane-geld when we paid the Americans compensation for the Alabama affair. And that was in our pomp. Arguably we should have told them to fuck off then too.
    I'm pretty sure the minimal amount paid was made up for many times over by the discounted interest rates on WW2 loans. But I know you start from a position of "America is always to blame for everything" and work backwards from there.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,052
    edited March 2023
    Leon said:

It’s the absolute childishness of all this that astonishes. The Tories are not like 1930s Germany and cancelling the BBC Singers is not the new Belsen

We have all been infantilised by social media. I wonder if it is literally lowering IQs. It is certainly coarsening and trivialising political debate

Who was it who predicted social media was a bad idea about 10 years ago?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,335
    Barnesian said:

But yes I don't doubt the users in question are posting in some form, this site is hard to resist, I am sure many of us are slightly obsessed with it

Yes. It's a pub with some wacky characters in it. A fight in the corner. Earnest discussions on rail gauges at one table. A bit of politics. Some very distinctive characters. Never boring.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDpDhofRoXA
    A great array of Scotches with associated expertise..
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Chris said:

And now it seems a whole BBC radio station has gone off the air:
    We have an update on the BBC's radio station, 5 Live, which would normally be covering today's football matches, including commentary and punditry.
    A senior source from the programme said "5 Live's sports programmes are currently being impacted and we are running recorded content".

They could replay that 7-0 Liverpool v Man Utd game, over and over again....
  • Options
    Leon said:

You're absolutely correct. It is extremely childish.
    But I doubt we'll agree who is performing that role here.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sunak grins inanely.

Phone call to BBC ...

.. And now this ...

I'm pretty sure the minimal amount paid was made up for many times over by the discounted interest rates on WW2 loans. But I know you start from a position of "America is always to blame for everything" and work backwards from there.
    'Discounted interest rates' - do fuck off.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,134
    Foster said:

Leon said:

It seems to me iqs have fallen dramatically since 2020...maybe the stress of covid has taken its toll.
    It's all down to anti-social media. Trivial spats are magnified, users are encouraged to be angry about everything and there's a complete overload of information, much of which is irrelevant, distorted or downright false.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,652
    edited March 2023

Barnesian said:

But yes I don't doubt the users in question are posting in some form, this site is hard to resist, I am sure many of us are slightly obsessed with it

Yes. It's a pub with some wacky characters in it. A fight in the corner. Earnest discussions on rail gauges at one table. A bit of politics. Some very distinctive characters. Never boring.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDpDhofRoXA
    A great array of Scotches with associated expertise..
    Indeed, who can forget the Scotch expert who said there wasn't a cat in hell's chance of Kate Forbes standing to succeed Sturgeon?
  • Options

How could you know?

You can't possibly be listening to a source other than the BBC?

SCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB!
  • Options
    Foster said:

You cant win. If you are poor and want to make a fairer society you are envious and jealous.If rich a champagne swilling socialust hypocrite.
    I have no issue with rich people being socialists; Lineker's tax arrangements are where the hypocrisy comes in.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

OllyT said:

Today, we have learnt that Lefties are thick, predictable, stupid, herd-like, hyberbolic, surprisingly sensitive, entirely lacking in self-awareness, dumb, possess no sense of irony, hysterical, brainless, and enthusiastic sheep.

Anyway, my day beckons.

Happy frothing everyone.

You drove two friends of mine off the site- @Charles and @Cyclefree - who I know in real life, and you've been personally abusive to me (repeatedly) for no reason other than the fact you dislike my politics.

I am sympathetic to the fact you have mental health issues - and I don't want anyone to suffer from that - but your needy behaviour where you are desperate to be both right and liked (coupled with nastiness and abuse on top) is totally unacceptable - and has real world impacts - and doesn't get a free pass from me for its impact on people I care about. You more than anyone should know that.

Sorry.

You need help. I hope you're able to get it as it helped me out with my mental health issues that it seems you are also going through. Really hope you're able to sort it out in time. Good luck.
    You're projecting your own issues on me.

Your bad behaviour has corroded the site, and royally wound me up. That's your problem not mine.

Stop it. You can apologise anytime. You can also approach me privately if you're too embarrassed to do it publicly.

I won't mind.
    Come on, trying to deflect it all onto CHB is a bit of a cop out. You have had totally OTT rants about an advert at Waterloo station, a local bookshop recommending a book you consider woke, a local pub that's now offering more non-meat options etc. It really is not normal behaviour to go off on one over trivial issues like that. You post reasonable comments most of the time but it doesn't take much for the red mist to descend.
  • Options

Foster said:

I have no issue with rich people being socialists; Lineker's tax arrangements are where the hypocrisy comes in.
    What are they?
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064

Chris said:

... Gary could you please say sorry for comparisons to Nazi Germany ...

Don't you see that was the point?
    Yes, but I think it was overline, like Clarkson's tits and dragons comment and some of Morgan's way of expressing his disgust at Megan Merkle detachment form the truth. But regardless of if it was or wasn't, the obvious classical political fudge would be to say sorry if I caused offense to those who suffered under the Nazis, I will be more careful when criticising others, but I stand by my position that the government's policy is flawed.

Job done, we all move on, face saved all round.

It has rather descended into the sort of behaviour you see on the playground.
    Without wanting to sound like a broken record the Nazi comparison was to the language being used not the policy. I'd like to know which words he was referring to - swarm, swamp, invasion? Has anyone from government actually responded directly to this? Explained why such language is okay or denied the use of such language? All I've heard so far is how comparisons with 1930s Germany is insulting. Sorry but that's a cop out. It is perfectly reasonable for someone to show concern about rhetoric without being seen as making a moral equivalence between Nazi Germany and the Tories.

There is a whole separate issue of the BBC's policy on impartiality and whether any/all of its employees can say political things outside work. As for the culture wars I don't give a s***.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,397

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

OllyT said:

Anyway, my day beckons.

Happy frothing everyone.

Sorry.

Was that actually @CorrectHorseBattery? My memory might be deceiving me but I thought @charles got doxxed by @ishmael
    Yes, Ishmael told Charles that he knew some of his cousins and they were nowhere near as pompous and name-dropping as he was. Charles took umbrage and departed.
    I don’t like it when anyone leaves, or gets banned. Even if I find them obnoxious, PB is a pub and a pub needs people

@charles is much missed. Quite wise and thoughtful

And yes @IshmaelZ could be a little vituperative and nasty, esp after a drink, but he was also clever and witty and had refreshingly unusual opinions

I also liked @RodCrosby

I accept that Holocaust Denial is right up there in the list of modern social sins but if you believe in free speech you believe in free speech. And I do. Also he was a nice guy in private communication and an actual genius in some of his political analysis

And bring back @isam as well

Bring everyone back!
    Isam owes me £300.
    Disagreed with most of Isam's politics but I'd have assumed he'd always be a straight arrow when it came to betting. Disappointing.
    Yep, and I should correct what I said so as not to slander him. He's gone cos of being banned and he only owes me IF the GE produces PM Starmer. Looks a dead cert but hasn't happened yet. And when it does, Isam might pop back and pay up. If so, I'll be so impressed I'll probably let him off!
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,145
    biggles said:

Chris said:

biggles said:

Chris said:

biggles said:

Chris said:

The BBC's long-running Radio 5 Live show Fighting Talk, where guests compete for points, has also been pulled from Saturday's scheduling.
    In a tweet
    , presenter Colin Murray said: "No Fighting Talk today, for obvious reasons. In the interest of transparency, this was a decision taken by the entire FT team and myself."

Never heard of it, but apparently still within the sports area. The BBC must be praying that news and current affairs staff don't get in on the act.

Don’t they have anyone who is actually on the payroll and required to go to work? Actually, surely a lot of these freelancers are in breach of contract if they had previously agreed to turn up?
    And who knows? Perhaps the BBC's contract with Gary Lineker doesn't just entitle the BBC to do what the hell it likes? I hope we'll find out.
    Erm, those things are not the same. The BBC can choose to still pay him if there’s any legal risk, but not have him on screen. For the pundits I would find it surprising if they can just choose not to turn up without there being any consequences beyond a loss of pay that day.
    If you've seen the contracts, please do enlighten us. It would be very interesting.

Why are you deciding to be prick? Are you assuming I’m defending the government or in favour of him being sacked, because neither is the case. Read my posts, to the extent I’ve even touched on the issue at all.

Why is everyone so prickly on here today? This is all froth and trivia about tv personalities.

My first point is obvious - he can’t have a contract that guarantees him tv time. The second is almost as obvious to anyone who has ever dealt with these sorts of contracts.
    Obviously my point was that it would be interesting to see whether his contract really forbade him from expressing personal opinions in other places.

As for the name-calling, it's like water off a duck's back, I assure you.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1634542759611621378

Could it be that the free speech brigade like what Sugar says?
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,562
    edited March 2023
    WillG said:

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sunak grins inanely.

Phone call to BBC ...

.. And now this ...

A much better example of American generosity at that time is the $3.5 billion in Marshall Aid, 90% of which was a gift rather than a loan.

No other country in history had ever been so generous - Churchill was right when he called it the most unsordid act in history.

And without it, we might even be Communist now.
  • Options

WillG said:

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sunak grins inanely.

Phone call to BBC ...

.. And now this ...

'Discounted interest rates' - do fuck off.
    Perhaps you can suggest which other lenders on the market would provide the loans at a similar rate? The subsidy was massive.

Or is this one of the cases where America should have just given the money as gifts rather than loans? Their behaviour was unreasonable in your eyes. I hate to think how you would have reacted had, say, half of Britain tried to breakway to maintain slavery and America had provided warships to support the effort. That's only ok if the British do it, right?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,329
    Phil said:

OllyT said:

Anyway, my day beckons.

Happy frothing everyone.

Sorry.

What's happened to cyclefree ?

PB would be definitely the worse without her.
    She quit below the line, in large part because of the behaviour of @CorrectHorseBattery

He seems to be struggling to accept this.
    NB. What does “quit below the line” mean in this context?
    Presumably that she still retains the right to write headers.
  • Options
    Blimey. Five Live off air. I’m not sure what the off ramp is here. The BBC can’t really back down, but without Lineker being back on air will the rest come back? And why would Lineker now compromise if he has this much support?

Presumably the BBC sport producers are working hard to find people who will work, and I guess that for some of the pundits money will eventually talk.
  • Options

Foster said:

Is Lineker a socialist?
  • Options
    I don't understand why people get so arsey about comments on a website where you can pretty much be as anonymous as you want. It's even funnier when people moan about arsey comments on social media, whilst demanding apologies and retribution on this social media site....
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Chris said:

biggles said:

Chris said:

biggles said:

Chris said:

biggles said:

Chris said:

In a tweet

Obviously my point was that it would be interesting to see whether his contract really forbade him from expressing personal opinions in other places.

I didn’t say it did…..

Got you. Being a #### is your default.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,322

Foster said:

But those have nothing to do with the current dispute.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,527
    edited March 2023
    pigeon said:

Foster said:

Leon said:

It's all down to anti-social media. Trivial spats are magnified, users are encouraged to be angry about everything and there's a complete overload of information, much of which is irrelevant, distorted or downright false.
    Unfortunately people deal so much more in absolutes on social media as well, it feels to me.

I often feel rather politically homeless because I can see both sides of a lot of recent issues (although I think the government is useless, clapped out, self-serving and deserves to lose the next GE). Unfortunately it feels like you have to be in one camp or the other, or you just don’t belong.

Case in point: Lineker. Do I think what he said was unacceptable? Not really, possibly a bit close to the bone. Do i think he should get sacked for it? No. Do I think the outrage and boycotting now happening is a proportionate response? Not at all.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Foster said:

Is Lineker a socialist?
    No he is just culturally left wing a typical bbc employee in other words.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Who was it who predicted social media was a bad idea about 10 years ago?
    Social media has had a number of perfect storms: Covid, Trump, Ukraine.

The worst of all humanity has touted itself there.
  • Options

pigeon said:

Foster said:

Leon said:

Unfortunately people deal so much more in absolutes on social media as well, it feels to me.

I often feel rather politically homeless because I can see both sides of a lot of recent issues (although I think the government is useless, clapped out, self-serving and deserves to lose the next GE). Unfortunately it feels like you have to be in one camp or the other, or you just don’t belong.

I feel like there is an iteration of the Tory Party I could vote for - but they seem intent on destroying it.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

WillG said:

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sunak grins inanely.

Phone call to BBC ...

.. And now this ...

A much better example of American generosity at that time is the $3.5 billion in Marshall Aid, which was a gift rather than a loan.

No other country in history had ever been so generous - Churchill was right when he called it the most unsordid act in history.
    Yes, the massive amounts pumped into West Germany were quite something, but hey, Britain got 'reduced interest rates', so there's that.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    biggles said:

Chris said:

biggles said:

Chris said:

biggles said:

Chris said:

biggles said:

Chris said:

In a tweet

I didn’t say it did…..
    So why the name-calling?

(Edit - ah, sorry, missed your edit in which you called me something you were too cowardly to spell out. Enough said!)
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2023
    Foster said:

WillG said:

Foster said:

Is Lineker a socialist?
    See yesterday's thread. The typical BBC administrator is increasingly Tory.
  • Options

pigeon said:

Foster said:

Leon said:

Maybe its people not getting enough sex . Arent 30% of young men celibate now.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1634332909581500416

Is this something that the BBC would now intervene in re Lord Sugar? Or are the rules different for Match of the Day (sport) and The Apprentice (business/gameshow)?

Lord Sugar literally backed a candidate for PM whilst working for the BBC.

Can anyone defending the BBC honestly justify Sugar's continued employment?
  • Options
    edited March 2023

pigeon said:

Foster said:

Leon said:

In addition to limitations on characters, its because social media algorithms are built to amplify the extremes. Its very difficult for anybody who is nuanced to be stand out among this.

One interesting observation I heard somebody bring up a while ago was at one point most social media you could only reply / comment directly to the original post, there was no reply to a reply to a reply, and thus it is much more difficult for arguments to spiral into shut up you racist Nazi...

I believe they did some research looking at replies to Obama's social media, pre and post this introduction and the level of discourse worsened significantly post its introduction.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,978
    LOL at the BBC continuing to tie themselves up in knots over Gary Lineker. There’s now almost no good way out for them.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Blimey. Five Live off air. I’m not sure what the off ramp is here. The BBC can’t really back down, but without Lineker being back on air will the rest come back? And why would Lineker now compromise if he has this much support?

Presumably the BBC sport producers are working hard to find people who will work, and I guess that for some of the pundits money will eventually talk.

Has the whole station gone off air ? They're really facing a strike situation if so.
  • Options

Foster said:

WillG said:

Foster said:

Is Lineker a socialist?
    See yesterday's thread. The typical BBC administrator is increasingly Tory.
    I couldn't give a toss if the BBC employees are left wing or not. What I care about is them reporting the news in a factual way which is increasingly being removed.

And to be fair New Labour tried the same thing with Iraq.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    biggles said:

Colin Murray has been very clear on this. It isn't just about presenters.
    It's about the whole team. You could get a pundit, but nobody to provide a script, lighting or cameras?
    Radio 4 just reported LFC one down at Bournemouth. There was no reporter to hear from quite how or why that was so.
  • Options
    EU Membership Voting Intention:

Rejoin: 52% (+5)
    Stay out: 30% (-2)

via @Omnisis, 9-10 Mar

(Changes with 3 Mar)

Keep going Rishi.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/OprosUK/status/1634544802300665859

Which of the following do you think would be the better Prime Minister?

Keir Starmer (LAB): 38% (+2)
    Rishi Sunak (CON): 30% (-1)

via @Omnisis, 9-10 Mar

(Changes with 3 Mar)
  • Options
    Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 50% (+5)
    CON: 26% (=)
    LDM: 7% (-4)
    REF: 6% (=)
    GRN: 5% (-1)

via @Omnisis, 9-10 Mar

(Changes with 3 Mar)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

LOL at the BBC continuing to tie themselves up in knots over Gary Lineker. There’s now almost no good way out for them.

Like I said, just walk away from Sport.

Close it down. Other providers now do it far, far better.

Put the money into original content.
  • Options

via @Omnisis, 9-10 Mar

(Changes with 3 Mar)

Well the small boats policy going well then.
  • Options

biggles said:

Has the whole station gone off air ? They're really facing a strike situation if so.
    It is "running recorded content".
  • Options

Sandpit said:

What sort of content? The Government don't want the BBC producing anything funny as left wing comedy is funny, or cultural because they don't like cultural diversity, or environmental, because they don't like left wing "green bollocks"
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sport is “original content”.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    At some point, the Beeb will have to say either

“No-one who works for us, or appears on our platforms, is allowed to get involved in politics or current affairs on social media”

Or

“We believe in freedom of speech, and things said by individuals on their own channels are not representative of the BBC”.

My £10 says they instead try and equivocate between the two positions, depending on exactly who said what and when, thus making things even more of a mess and trying to police the internet.

Personally I’ll go with the free speech argument, whether that’s Jeremy Clarkson or Gary Lineker.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,972
    dixiedean said:

biggles said:

Colin Murray has been very clear on this. It isn't just about presenters.
    It's about the whole team. You could get a pundit, but nobody to provide a script, lighting or cameras?
    Radio 4 just reported LFC one down at Bournemouth. There was no reporter to hear from quite how or why that was so.
    Have we talked about the SNP leadership election recently?...
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Sandpit said:

They have got themselves in a weird position. Turning down free coverage of golf, while paying for second tier MMA (then only to shove it only on iPlayer, with little to no promotion).

Then they try and have a website that covers everything, but it is increasingly jack of all trades, master of none. There is little insight or quality analysis.
  • Options

biggles said:

I do not support the sacking of Lineker for this. But the people concerned are implicitly supporting his statements, and therefore proving that the BBC has an institutional left wing bias. If there aren't any presenters left who don't think policies to reduce migrant inflows are reminiscent of the 3rd Reich, it is not a particularly good sign.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

What sort of content? The Government don't want the BBC producing anything funny as left wing comedy is funny, or cultural because they don't like cultural diversity, or environmental, because they don't like left wing "green bollocks"
    Maybe the bbc can bring Tucker Carlson over and turn themselves into fox news.
  • Options
    Chris said:

biggles said:

It is "running recorded content".
    Well, that's a bit more significant than Final Score not being on.
  • Options

via @Omnisis, 9-10 Mar

(Changes with 3 Mar)

There’s your Windsor Framework/Migrant Law bounce for you. A LDM/GRN to LAB swing. Machiavellian geniuses at work at CCHQ.
  • Options

biggles said:

Yes.
    They are playing repeats of podcasts just now.
    There'll be no Six Nations commentary. It's wider than presenters and football.
    It's a wildcat strike by the whole sports
    department.
    Better hope it doesn't spread to news.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Probably proves to the right wing how left wing most bbc employees are.
  • Options

Fishing said:

WillG said:

Carnyx said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Sunak grins inanely.

Phone call to BBC ...

.. And now this ...

A much better example of American generosity at that time is the $3.5 billion in Marshall Aid, which was a gift rather than a loan.

Yes, the massive amounts pumped into West Germany were quite something, but hey, Britain got 'reduced interest rates', so there's that.
    West Germany received $1.7billion in Marshall Aid. Britain received $2.7billion.

And of course, lend-lease was another $26 billion, net.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Foster said:

But those have nothing to do with the current dispute.
    No, but that was in response to Foster, who took exception to my sarcasm.

Anyway, I don't think the BBC should have sacked Lineker for this.
  • Options
    biggles said:

It’s not just the pundits. It’s the reporters, camera people, engineers…the whole thing
  • Options

https://twitter.com/OprosUK/status/1634544802300665859

Which of the following do you think would be the better Prime Minister?

Keir Starmer (LAB): 38% (+2)
    Rishi Sunak (CON): 30% (-1)

via @Omnisis, 9-10 Mar

(Changes with 3 Mar)

😂 😂 😂
  • Options

biggles said:

I do not support the sacking of Lineker for this. But the people concerned are implicitly supporting his statements, and therefore proving that the BBC has an institutional left wing bias. If there aren't any presenters left who don't think policies to reduce migrant inflows are reminiscent of the 3rd Reich, it is not a particularly good sign.
    That's not true. You can be defending the principle of him being able to speak out, without agreeing with his comments.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Sandpit said:

At some point, the Beeb will have to say either

“No-one who works for us, or appears on our platforms, is allowed to get involved in politics or current affairs on social media”

Or

“We believe in freedom of speech, and things said by individuals on their own channels are not representative of the BBC”.

My £10 says they instead try and equivocate between the two positions, depending on exactly who said what and when, thus making things even more of a mess and trying to police the internet.

Personally I’ll go with the free speech argument, whether that’s Jeremy Clarkson or Gary Lineker.

I think the second was the position they tried to go for, Gary can you apologise for causing any offense and just reign it in a bit, and then he gave it the big'un, nobody is telling me what to do, I stand by every word, I talk to the top bods regularly and they agree with my ability to say what I like....

The problem the BBC has they have inconsistently enforced their policies in the past, both celebrities who work for them and news people. They have let news people get away with clearly political positioning both on social media and in other outlets, then they have also cracked down on some.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,329

via @Omnisis, 9-10 Mar

(Changes with 3 Mar)

Keep going Rishi.

Extraordinary. Leaverism is rapidly becoming a seriously niche position. You can argue over the theory of Brexit, but surely no one can now argue that it's actual implementation has been abysmal.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

When has the government ever opposed environmental or travel programs?
  • Options
    Foster said:

Sandpit said:

Nothing to do with left versus right. It is to do with playing to the BBC's strengths. And however much you love the BBC, you'd be hard pressed to defend its sport offering today.

(Well, not today obvs, as they aren't offering any! But recently....)
  • Options

But the people concerned are implicitly supporting his statements, and therefore proving that the BBC has an institutional left wing bias.

You really haven't understood the point?

Have you ever heard of a bloke called Voltaire? If not, Google him.
  • Options

via @Omnisis, 9-10 Mar

(Changes with 3 Mar)

Keep going Rishi.

Extraordinary. Leaverism is rapidly becoming a seriously niche position. You can argue over the theory of Brexit, but surely no one can now argue that it's actual implementation has been abysmal.
    Bring on another referendum. You will lose again.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,256
    What the Tories are doing to the BBC is merely a precursor for their plans for the NHS.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

They have got themselves in a weird position. Turning down free coverage of golf, while paying for second tier MMA (then only to shove it only on iPlayer, with little to no promotion).

Then they try and have a website that covers everything, but it is increasingly jack of all trades, master of none. There is little insight or quality analysis.
    My personal gripe is their losing the hand egg ball to ITV.

Chappers , Jason and Osi was just brilliant Bloke TV. Probably why it was condemned to death....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    dixiedean said:

Still waiting for UnHerd to "challenge the herd" with a refreshing blast of free speech absolutism.

I swear there used to be a fair number of interesting articles on there, but when I've looked in recent times its all been very predictable and repetitive.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,638
    edited March 2023
    chatter said:

Don't forget that 2019 Labour voters supported Corbyn, probably especially in Scotland. So the polling is probably correct this far out. Closer to an election, voters will be squeezed and will need to decide whether they want the Tories to stay in government.

We're looking at the propensity to vote of 2019 Labour voters, those who actually dragged themselves to vote Labour largely in spite of Corbyn. R&W's polling is claiming that just over a third of those now consider that they won't vote or probably won't vote in the next GE. Whereas between only 8% and 11% of those who voted for the other three main parties in 2019 are recorded as saying that they probably or definitely won't vote.

So if your conclusion that the R&W Scottish "polling is probably correct" is to stand you have to explain:
    1. Why there's such a huge differential in those figures between previous Labour voters and the consistent result for the other three main Scottish parties.
    2. Why such a huge differential has suddenly emerged in the latest R&W poll, when it was completely absent in their previous 2022 polls.

Frankly it defies any rational explanation. The latest R&W turnout adjustment is frankly ludicrous. And without it, or with a turnout adjustment with similar effect to that used in previous R&W polling, Labour would be level pegging with the SNP in the Scottish polling for a general election.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,397

Foster said:

Ah, so there should be a personal financial hit - kind of like a fine - for holding left of centre political views then. You must make a point of paying more tax than you would if you were on the right. Gosh. That'll sort the real lefties from the fake ones, won't it? And there might be very few left but they'll be so so pure.
  • Options
    Tres said:

What the Tories are doing to the BBC is merely a precursor for their plans for the NHS.

They are getting rid of sport in the NHS???

Who knew...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,020
    Tres said:

How many hours left this time?
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Foster said:

Sandpit said:

Nothing to do with left versus right. It is to do with playing to the BBC's strengths. And however much you love the BBC, you'd be hard pressed to defend its sport offering today.

(Well, not today obvs, as they aren't offering any! But recently....)
    However. It depends what sports offering you are talking about.
    If you want comprehensive real time coverage of what's happening in live sport on a Saturday afternoon whilst driving, in the garden or at the gym, then 5 Live is pretty hard to beat.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

biggles said:

It’s not just the pundits. It’s the reporters, camera people, engineers…the whole thing
    Even the engineers at the bbc are lefties lol. Need some bnp supporting engineers for balance.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,256

Tres said:

They are getting rid of sport in the NHS???

Who knew...
    They'll be sacking any doctors who object to the continual cutting-back of services.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 836

biggles said:

Or, if you’re prepared to remove the blinkers for a moment, they’re calling attention to hypocrisy and political interference. They might disagree vehemently with what Lineker wrote but support his right to write it.

• Options
    edited March 2023

Sandpit said:

My personal gripe is their losing the hand egg ball to ITV.

Chappers , Jason and Osi was just brilliant Bloke TV. Probably why it was condemned to death....
    I think it is a wider issue with the BBC that we have discussed endlessly on here. The people who watch it are old, they try to pivot to younger generation and not doing very well, and then they flail about e.g. BBC Three, on / off / on, nobody watches it.

So most recently not taking up the offer of free golf coverage, because youngsters don't watch it, but oldies who do watch the BBC, will watch it.

And then the hand egg, its very popular in the UK, but I think again its lots of middle aged white people like (at least that appears to be the demographic when I have been to the live games). Basketball is the popular US game among urban youth, which I think they show some UK games hidden away somewhere on the website.

And of course we talked about how out of sync with the rest of the industry they are with long term planning of content creation, it gets made when it gets made, versus the one season every year at the same time model.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Foster said:

Ah, so there should be a personal financial hit - kind of like a fine - for holding left of centre political views then. You must make a point of paying more tax than you would if you were on the right. Gosh. That'll sort the real lefties from the fake ones, won't it? And there might be very few left but they'll be so so pure.
    There is nothing stopping you voluntarily paying 70% tax kinabalu. The revenue needs the money.
  • Options

via @Omnisis, 9-10 Mar

(Changes with 3 Mar)

Labour euthanising the LibDems....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    edited March 2023

But the people concerned are implicitly supporting his statements, and therefore proving that the BBC has an institutional left wing bias.

Some people have been implicitly or explicitly supporting his statements. That is easily dismissed as partisan defence of the 'truth', which is of course subjective.

But that is not all it is. Plenty of people who don't think he was right still think the reaction has been wrong. Or even if they think it technically right, on the standards for BBC employees, it was a bad idea.

I think it has actually been a useful moment for the BBC, though it won't feel like it to them right now. It's shown the pointlessness of trying to rein in big stars who don't work in news, as it only makes things worse (albeit it only looks really bad because the BBC Chair is seriously dodgy and Lineker's bog standard political views are contrasted with that).

If they don't announce an urgent review of their policy and new guidelines for non news staff before next week I will be surprised.
  • Options
    maxh said:

biggles said:

Or, if you’re prepared to remove the blinkers for a moment, they’re calling attention to hypocrisy and political interference. They might disagree vehemently with what Lineker wrote but support his right to write it.

That maybe true but the tories now have ammunition for an all out attack on the bbc.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 787

biggles said:

But what's the answer? Quotas based on the ideological leanings of job candidates?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

IIRC, Match of the Day is the single most expensive programme on BBC television. They pay eight figures per season for the highlights rights to the Premier League.
This discussion has been closed.