Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The big MidTerms loser – one Donald Trump – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Looks like Trump, who lives rent free in many PBers' heads – has, to use an Americanism, taken the L big style again this morning.

What a chump.

"lives rent free in X's head" is sooo on The List.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,900
    edited November 2022
    Sandpit said:

Exactly a year ago today, Bitcoin hit a record high $67k.

Today, it’s at $17,500, a two-year low, 12% down on the day and 74% down on last year’s peak.

In unrelated news, massive crypto exchange FTX is thought to be insolvent, and about to be bought out by Binance.

Binance were an early investor in FTX.
    They sold their stake a while back when the two became competitors, and part of the payment they received was in FT tokens - which recently were valued at $2bn.

https://twitter.com/ShaanVP/status/1590029017104941056
    Two days ago, CZ comes out and says SBF has been talking sh*t about them to regulators
    lobbying in a way that would hurt binance

So he announces publicly on twitter to his 7M followers that he's going to DUMP his entire $2B FTT stash...

...Binance basically started a rumor, made a threat, and ended up buying its biggest competitor overnight.

I have no idea whether any of this sh*t is worth anything, but that allowing for that, a pretty sharp deal.
  • Options
    She’s back! Though tbf (ex) members of the RCP appear to be always with us.
    Initially read that as ‘train our leaders to ruin the country’.

• Options

kinabalu said:

So did any PBers call this Dem overperformance and make good betting profits?

I didn't. I'm up on a "buying money" House bet and I'm up some more assuming Trump does announce but I lost on the Senate - mediocre profit overall for the amount I staked and the risk I took.

Probably up overall provided there are no last minute swings. Laid GOP Senate majority (which iirc someone tipped here) and played in some state races when the entrails and tarot cards showed that banning abortion was going down badly. Not enough to risk turning the heating on.
    Could have been a lot more had I acted on my own musing on pb that pollsters were discounting new voters motivated by abortion bans (or anything else) if they weighted by past votes, as caught ours out over Brexit and Corbyn.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189
    edited November 2022
    Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

BREAKING: @DeputyMayorofGM Baroness Bev Hughes announces she is stepping down in the new year.

@GranadaReports https://twitter.com/AndyBonnerITV/status/1590289292890624000/photo/1

Could be the zeitgeist is changing. Like a mexican wave roling around the world. Johnson's gone Bolsonoro's gone Trump's going to be humiliated. Just waiting for Sunak Braverman and the rest of the Brexiteers and we can rejoin a civilised world again
    Sunak is hardly Bolsonaro or Trump or Braverman or even Boris.

Indeed Macron had a very warm first meeting with Sunak earlier this week and Biden had warm words about him at the White House too
  • Options
    The Scottish government is in court again over their haphazard approach to gender/sex:

https://tribunaltweets.substack.com/p/for-women-scotland-vs-the-lord-advocate

https://twitter.com/tribunaltweets/status/1590280827967279105

They've already lost once:

The Scottish government has paid For Women Scotland (FWS) £147,500 after the group won a case against ministers earlier this year.

The government had attempted to redefine “woman” in the Gender Representation on Public Boards (Scotland) Act 2018 and allow transgender women to occupy public roles reserved for females...

FWS plans to use the payment to support another judicial review against the government over the definition of “woman”. Draft legislation seeks to include in the definition of “woman” trans women who have obtained a full gender recognition certificate.

FWS said that the government is again crossing a line “by incorporating the subgroup of male transsexuals living as women and who have obtained a GRC (and by logical extension, excluding the corresponding group of females who do not live as women and have obtained a GRC)”.

Ministers have made a “clear error in law” in their attempt to establish a new category of “legal sex” that is distinct from a person’s biological sex.

The substantial hearing has been set for 9 and 10 November 2022.

https://archive.ph/kSlAq
  • Options

How's Kari Lake doing?

Riding on Leon's hopes and prayers.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Today, it’s at $17,500, a two-year low, 12% down on the day and 74% down on last year’s peak.

In unrelated news, massive crypto exchange FTX is thought to be insolvent, and about to be bought out by Binance.

Binance were an early investor in FTX.
    They sold their stake a while back when the two became competitors, and part of the payment they received was in FT tokens - which recently were valued at $2bn.

https://twitter.com/ShaanVP/status/1590029017104941056
    Two days ago, CZ comes out and says SBF has been talking sh*t about them to regulators
    lobbying in a way that would hurt binance

So he announces publicly on twitter to his 7M followers that he's going to DUMP his entire $2B FTT stash...

...Binance basically started a rumor, made a threat, and ended up buying its biggest competitor overnight.

I have no idea whether any of this sh*t is worth anything, but that allowing for that, a pretty sharp deal.
    Yes, a bit of a mess, to put it mildly.

Someone on another forum a few weeks back, described cryptocurrency as speed-running through the last 150 years of financial services regulation, without having learned any of the lessons the rest of us learned along the way.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

How's Kari Lake doing?

Riding on Leon's hopes and prayers.
    Has the curse of Leondamus struck again?
  • Options

On a lighter note, I'm not sure what the significance of this is, but I had an amusing dream a couple of nights ago. I was attending an event where Ed Miliband was giving a speech on a new Labour policy: encouraging car sharing. As part of this, they would legislate to make it illegal to drive to a supermarket to do your shopping unless you'd first checked whether there were any car-sharing offers available, and had filled in a form showing that there weren't. When I pointed out to him that this would be a good way to lose the next election, he seemed rather surprised, and said that the policy had polled well.

Do I need to get counselling?

It's irrelevant as we'll all be eating out of bins and using our cars as a primary residence by then anyway.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Sandpit said:

I see Bitcoin remains overpriced by at least $17,499.
    As an avowed Crypto disliker, I will say that Bitcoin has /some/ value. If you add up all the money laundering, ransomeware paying and drug buying that it enables a certain amount of value is “in flight” as BTC at any one time before it gets converted back to spendable assets. That puts a floor on the trading value (not the realisable value of all BTC if you had to sell it all at once) of BTC.

Not a very high floor mind.
    I think that's on its way out as well. A better system for those uses has some qualities that bitcoin lacks, specifically:

1) Reasonable price stability so you don't have to worry if your customer is paying you in bit-coins but your supplier expects Dólares Americanos
    2) Privacy so your activities aren't all totally open to all the law enforcement authorities in the world
    3) (not necessarily a deal-breaker but ideally) faster transactions and more capacity.

We pretty much know how to make a system like this at this point, and it's inevitable that one will get traction, after which all is left is a speculative vehicle for people who believe what they read on Zerohedge.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,173
    Ishmael_Z said:

Looks like Trump, who lives rent free in many PBers' heads – has, to use an Americanism, taken the L big style again this morning.

What a chump.

Actually, you are right. I am only struggling through my first cup of coffee.

Apologies.

Added.

• Heavy lifting
    • Colour me …
    • IANAE/IANAL
    • Feature, not a bug
    • Ad hom
    • This
    • It’s a view
    • North of (to mean more than)
    • As I’ve said passim
    • One of those irregular verbs
    • Late of this parish
    • Nail. Head.
    • Unspoofable
    • …. (four dot ellipsis)
    • Living rent free in x’s heads
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

So if GOP fail to take Senate

Trump charges re storming of Congress look more likely to proceed?

"Lock him up! Lock him up!"
  • Options

Nigelb said:

So if GOP fail to take Senate

Trump charges re storming of Congress look more likely to proceed?

I think it's the same outlook either way: They'll likely charge him with whatever they're sure they can prove, which will probably be pretty minor if anything, and it'll get tied up in procedural legal arguments until after 2024.
    I think you underestimate the chances of his being convicted on criminal charges.
    I can totally see him being convicted on criminal charges but the problem is, how long does that take? Look how long he's managed to stall the document inquiry, which should be an open-and-shut case. He's got a tame judge who will make up any old shit for him, and anything to do with the presidency gives you lots of potentially novel issues that you can spend ages arguing about.

If they took him into custody and the judge denied bail then it would be be a big deal, but I can't see that happening, in which case the only consequence before 2024 is PR-related.
    Since so many of the legal issues concerning the documents will have been litigated before any charges are brought, I think it might go more quickly than you suggest.
  • Options

Good to see her swinging into action.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079

It’s heartening to see that US politics is still giving us names like this.

https://twitter.com/algop/status/1590201308690219008

One area they definitely are superior to our democracy
  • Options
    No word from our resident Trumptons this fair morn?

@MrEd @Luckyguy1983 @Dura_Ace

Funny old world.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,304

Funny old world.

Being fair, @MrEd was always going to struggle to post, given that he’s been banned for some time now.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DougSeal said:

Funny old world.

Being fair, @MrEd was always going to struggle to post, given that he’s been banned for some time now.
    He is back on his alt account.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    Somebody has thrown an egg at the King during his visit to York.

Can't have been a Yorkshireman, wasting an egg like that.
  • Options

Somebody has thrown an egg at the King during his visit to York.

Can't have been a Yorkshireman, wasting an egg like that.

What a waste of an egg.
  • Options
    New inheritance tax grab will ensnare '10,000 more families'
    The Treasury will pocket an extra £1bn from grieving families by extending a freeze on thresholds

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tax/inheritance/why-rishi-sunaks-new-tax-raid-means-death-duties-no-longer-just/

bad news for HYUFDism. Love that "grieving," but I'd have put widows and orphans, not families.

Also, Next buys Made.com for 3.4m. In case you thought bitcoin was a bad investment.
  • Options
    Eggs thrown at Charles in York

Alleged anti slavery protestor

Also Zuckerberg sacks 11,000 employees
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Funny old world.

What was he banned for? He was a sinister figure but useful as an anti tipster.

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

The Treasury will pocket an extra £1bn from grieving families by extending a freeze on thresholds

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tax/inheritance/why-rishi-sunaks-new-tax-raid-means-death-duties-no-longer-just/

bad news for HYUFDism. Love that "grieving," but I'd have put widows and orphans, not families.

Also, Next buys Made.com for 3.4m. In case you thought bitcoin was a bad investment.

They're always so mawkish when they want to get outraged.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

£3.4m is probably the value of the domain.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,301
    edited November 2022
    BY ELECTION ALERT
    Stretford and Urmston as Kate Green MP has been selected as deputy mayor under the King over water in GM
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,060
    Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

Funny old world.

Disappointing news.
  • Options

Seems a bit of an over reaction from the Zuck.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Funny old world.

He is utterly charming IRL. Sorry to hear he is banned. I do feel that taking the trouble to attend PB events should purchase a certain amount of immunity to The Hammer.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,665

Ishmael_Z said:

What a chump.

Actually, you are right. I am only struggling through my first cup of coffee.

Apologies.

Added.

• Heavy lifting
    • Colour me …
    • IANAE/IANAL
    • Feature, not a bug
    • Ad hom
    • This
    • It’s a view
    • North of (to mean more than)
    • As I’ve said passim
    • One of those irregular verbs
    • Late of this parish
    • Nail. Head.
    • Unspoofable
    • …. (four dot ellipsis)
    • Living rent free in x’s heads
    The List is on the List, maybe?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

One area they definitely are superior to our democracy
    He's no Randy Baumgardner.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

Funny old world.

He is utterly charming IRL. Sorry to hear he is banned. I do feel that taking the trouble to attend PB events should purchase a certain amount of immunity to The Hammer.
    Any self interest in that proposition?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666

Off topic. But Proper Political Betting Post. I’m going to have a few words and bold predictions on the US elections.

Is polling different in the US? I understand UK polling is governed by a Council, and pollsters sign up agree rules to be followed. https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/rules-and-practices-of-political-opinion-polls/

Quite right too. If Opinion polls are biased it can be used to distort democratic elections. But if you are going to have rules, then you are going down the road of monitoring and policing.

Are the rules, and monitoring and policing, across the pond robust enough? Put another way, are views and political bets being shaped by tracking successive polls from more highly and trusted pollsters, or is the head being turned by “interesting” polls from less highly and trusted and experienced pollsters? I’m suspicious of the small amount of polling in these mid terms from respected pollsters, and the large amount from, ahem, can we call them cowboys?

On this basis I have a feeling the current balance in the Senate won’t go anywhere - 1 pick up for each side. Nor will the defeat for Democrats in the house be a large one - if red wave was ever on, Roe v Wade announcement in June aborted it prematurely.

Despite the no change senate, I’m also predicting, because of so many obvious close races, another bout of the old Red Mirage - red leads with blue votes counted later.

This is not to say it won’t be a concerning night for the democrats - Stacey Abrams has crashed and burned in her own fight, and Latino voting GOP will again be a thing - this will have to be analysed and correct lessons learned.

And then the big one in two years. Should we presume the Republican Nomination is Trumps for the taking? With ever decreasing circles of problematic expensive legal proceedings getting closer to Trump, what about strong, ambitious challengers appealing to primary voters for a fresh start from it all?

Nikki Haley. If she ran against him, how exactly would Trump and his fan club tackle her? She sounds like him, only without his baggage.

https://politicalwire.com/2022/11/07/nikki-haley-suggests-deporting-raphael-warnock/

The Man Mountain Kinabalu asked: So did any PBers call this Dem overperformance?

How’s my pre election predictions going as replicated here? With Dems losing Nevada (she has lost as she has drunk almost all her blue pool so can’t recover) and GOP just edged out in Georgia, I was spot on.

More importantly I explained yesterday it is not a surprise or an over-performance (on history yes, on polls no) because there were not enough polls from reputable firms and too many “Cowboy Polls” in this election.

I don’t just think I called it spot on, but my reason for it apparently a surprise to some is spot on as well.

As regards Florida, which came in early, but a bit of a Red Mirage, my call is it’s getting a bounce because Ron is popular, but it’s the nearest thing to Trumps home state too. Also, correct me where wrong, there’s different types of Latino voter, Dems are struggling with all of them, but more so the Florida type from the Cuba connection.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,665
    Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

Funny old world.

@Dura_Ace isn’t a Trumpton - just believes he will become President again.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

Funny old world.

The idea of my posting anything remotely banworthy is of course preposterous...
  • Options

Alistair said:

DougSeal said:

Funny old world.

@Dura_Ace isn’t a Trumpton - just believes he will become President again.
    Wrong. He supported his winning in 2020 (and I assume, but don't know, 2024?)
  • Options
    Democrats have won the Michigan state Senate for the first time since 1984.
    https://twitter.com/baseballot/status/1590288435461476357
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,505

If he is young, then the booze has taken quite a toll :wink:
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I didn't. I'm up on a "buying money" House bet and I'm up some more assuming Trump does announce but I lost on the Senate - mediocre profit overall for the amount I staked and the risk I took.

I made some posts in the last few days pointing out the record early voting and the high reported enthusiasm of young voters and women voters, so the results didn't surprise me. However I didn't bet because the margins by which seats were won is so small it could so easily (and still can) go either way.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Almost almost all tax thresholds being freezed but tax cuts needed before the next election or Tory core vote won't come out
  • Options

And protester correctly arrested while crowd shouts 'shame on you' at the protesters

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1590302287267667968?s=20&t=KsVz9KwMs798_ewLfJzhCw

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

kinabalu said:

I made some posts in the last few days pointing out the record early voting and the high reported enthusiasm of young voters and women voters, so the results didn't surprise me. However I didn't bet because the margins by which seats were won is so small it could so easily (and still can) go either way.
    I saw nothing tempting in the odds.

I'd have expected the Republicans to win 51 seats in the Senate and 230 or so in the House. it looks more like 50 and 224 respectively,
  • Options

Did they hit the target? 🙏
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,016
    HYUFD said:

And protester correctly arrested while crowd shouts 'shame on you' at the protesters

https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/1590302287267667968?s=20&t=KsVz9KwMs798_ewLfJzhCw

You'd better be careful saying that sort of thing in public - might well be not guilty in court.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Almost almost all tax thresholds being freezed but tax cuts needed before the next election or Tory core vote won't come out
    Not a chance of tax cuts before the next GE
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Not a chance of Tory re election then either
  • Options

BY ELECTION ALERT
    Stretford and Urmston as Kate Green MP has been selected as deputy mayor under the King over water in GM

Tories will be rubbing their hands with glee at that by-election....

(Interestingly, the Tory vote in the last three elections there has been 27.5%, 27.5%, 27.8%. Cameron, May, Boris ... took them all in its stride without blinking. I doubt there has been a more consistent vote anywhere. Also consistent in terms of knowing there's not a cat in hell's chance of winning!)
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

Funny old world.

[Edit] Idly wondering if we ought to do things properly and have a Damnatio Memoriae of all (in fairness) banned posters, erasing all their posts. On reflection, perhaps not. Not sure what the Athenians did with ostracised pols, though.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

You'd better be careful saying that sort of thing in public - might well be not guilty in court.
    It's going to be hilarious when some fucking arsehole does a York/Yolk pun.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Narrow miss
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

An oeuf already....
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,526

Slightly astonished that facebook employs that many. It's just a website, surely? It doesn't do that much more than it did when it was just Zuck and a couple of mates.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792

Dura_Ace said:

Narrow miss
    They should have practiced more.
  • Options
    If the Senate ends up again 50/50, how long until the mad idea of packing the Supreme Court comes up again?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Democrats have won the Michigan state Senate for the first time since 1984.
    https://twitter.com/baseballot/status/1590288435461476357

Because they managed to pass a non-partisan maps ballot initiative.

Compare and contrast with Wisconsin across the border.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Maybe you will have joined ReformUK by then - you know you want to
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

He could in theory be tried for Treason
    and aiding the King's enemies but at least is guilty of attempted assault or battery
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Narrow miss
    FREE THE YORK ONE. 🥚💪
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If they'd thrown them at the Queen, they would probably have been strung up.

Changing times...
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Slightly astonished that facebook employs that many. It's just a website, surely? It doesn't do that much more than it did when it was just Zuck and a couple of mates.
    The 11,000 redundancies, takes them back down to levels not seen since, err, 2019.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

and aiding the King's enemies but at least is guilty of attempted assault or battery
    You are utterly ridiculous but then why am I surprised
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Facebook does absolutely fuck loads. It is an everything site, most people don't use 95% of it's functionality but for everyone the 5% they do use is different.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, so you don't believe in the rule of law or keeping the libel lawyers off OGH's back?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Maybe you will have joined ReformUK by then - you know you want to
    I won't but RefUK at 5% in polls, the highest level for a Farage parry since 2015.

It was income tax cuts pre election and threat of tax rises under Labour which won the Tories their victory in 1992 at a similar time in cycle
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

"In theory" is not quite the same thing as in your dreams.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think commenting on the propriety of an arrest could be actionable - at least not in the terms HYUFD put it.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

But who will it be? There's a lot Riding on this.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,874
    edited November 2022

To be fair the RCP moles did nearly bring on the crisis of capitalism just a few short weeks ago. They deserve a further chance.

• Options
    edited November 2022
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

You could be tried too (and perhaps should, given your subversive views on the supremacy of the Conservative Party over Parliament). But is there a case? Unless you think throwing an egg at a King is remotely treason, unless one knows he;s allergic to egg proteins ...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DougSeal said:

Funny old world.

[Edit] Idly wondering if we ought to do things properly and have a Damnatio Memoriae of all (in fairness) banned posters, erasing all their posts. On reflection, perhaps not. Not sure what the Athenians did with ostracised pols, though.
    It is quite often on other websites a banning offence to discuss banning offences. Recursion innit.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I don't think commenting on the propriety of an arrest could be actionable - at least not in the terms HYUFD put it.
    Originally perhaps, but he's certainly gone beyond that.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Oh come on, can't you take a yolk?

• Options

Dura_Ace said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

An oeuf already....
    We should get the punning ovoid quickly.
  • Options

On the other hand if Charles is a slaver then an egg is getting off easy.
  • Options
    I'm starting to suspect, although I need more evidence, that you are not a huge fan of Starmer?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Cookie said:

But will Nick Clegg manage to ride the wave of corporate opulence and avoid the ignominy that befalls so many LibDems on election nights, the evaporation of hopes and sad acceptance of failure?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    edited November 2022
    Sandpit said:

If the Senate ends up again 50/50, how long until the mad idea of packing the Supreme Court comes up again?

I'm not sure if it's mad depending how it's done but Manchin's definitely a no, so it's not happening this term on a 50/50 Senate. And I think they'd need the House as well.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

You could be tried too (and perhaps should, given your subversive views on the supremacy of the Conservative Party over Parliament). But is there a case? Unless you think throwing an egg at a King is remotely treason, unless one knows he;s allergic to egg proteins ...
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, so you don't believe in the rule of law or keeping the libel lawyers off OGH's back?
    Forget libel lawyers, he threw an egg at the King, in whose name prosecutions are made in this country.

We have been far too weak with leftwing extremist republicans and nationalists like you for too long if you think someone who attacks the King has a libel case.

In previous centuries he might even have been hanged!

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,115
    darkage said:

From an onlookers point of view it is suprising that Biden and Kamala Harris are at such long odds. Surely they should have an entrenched incumbency advantage?

I was in Helsinki yesterday taking their temperature.

They told me that Kamala means “awful” or “horrible” in Finnish.

The problem is that, being Finns, I don’t know whether they were just pulling my leg… no visual cues given their dry sense of humour
  • Options
    Tories looking very upbeat.

What is the yellow/black badge the SNP are wearing?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

I know you're being funny but I'm pretty sure treason requires a bit more oomph.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Forget libel lawyers, he threw an egg at the King, in whose name prosecutions are made in this country.

We have been far too weak with leftwing extremist republicans and nationalists like you for too long if you think someone who attacks the King has a libel case.

Away and change your carpet. The whole point is you can't say X attacked the King till he is tried and found guilty. Full stop.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,115
    Alistair said:

I see once again being woke is such an electoral liability and being anti woke leads to electoral victories, oh.

I'll say it again people don't give a shit about trans rights, either way, when they facing a choice between heating or eating, it's the economy stupid.

Who would have thought the party that has this kind of jobs chart would do well on economic issues?

Are those net or gross?

• Options

darkage said:

From an onlookers point of view it is suprising that Biden and Kamala Harris are at such long odds. Surely they should have an entrenched incumbency advantage?

I was in Helsinki yesterday taking their temperature.

They told me that Kamala means “awful” or “horrible” in Finnish.

The problem is that, being Finns, I don’t know whether they were just pulling my leg… no visual cues given their dry sense of humour
    google translate agrees
  • Options
    kle4 said:

On the other hand if Charles is a slaver then an egg is getting off easy.
    Don't be soft, his soldiers will be toast.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,395
    edited November 2022

Off topic. But Proper Political Betting Post. I’m going to have a few words and bold predictions on the US elections.

Is polling different in the US? I understand UK polling is governed by a Council, and pollsters sign up agree rules to be followed. https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/rules-and-practices-of-political-opinion-polls/

Quite right too. If Opinion polls are biased it can be used to distort democratic elections. But if you are going to have rules, then you are going down the road of monitoring and policing.

Are the rules, and monitoring and policing, across the pond robust enough? Put another way, are views and political bets being shaped by tracking successive polls from more highly and trusted pollsters, or is the head being turned by “interesting” polls from less highly and trusted and experienced pollsters? I’m suspicious of the small amount of polling in these mid terms from respected pollsters, and the large amount from, ahem, can we call them cowboys?

On this basis I have a feeling the current balance in the Senate won’t go anywhere - 1 pick up for each side. Nor will the defeat for Democrats in the house be a large one - if red wave was ever on, Roe v Wade announcement in June aborted it prematurely.

Despite the no change senate, I’m also predicting, because of so many obvious close races, another bout of the old Red Mirage - red leads with blue votes counted later.

This is not to say it won’t be a concerning night for the democrats - Stacey Abrams has crashed and burned in her own fight, and Latino voting GOP will again be a thing - this will have to be analysed and correct lessons learned.

And then the big one in two years. Should we presume the Republican Nomination is Trumps for the taking? With ever decreasing circles of problematic expensive legal proceedings getting closer to Trump, what about strong, ambitious challengers appealing to primary voters for a fresh start from it all?

Nikki Haley. If she ran against him, how exactly would Trump and his fan club tackle her? She sounds like him, only without his baggage.

https://politicalwire.com/2022/11/07/nikki-haley-suggests-deporting-raphael-warnock/

The Man Mountain Kinabalu asked: So did any PBers call this Dem overperformance?

How’s my pre election predictions going as replicated here? With Dems losing Nevada (she has lost as she has drunk almost all her blue pool so can’t recover) and GOP just edged out in Georgia, I was spot on.

More importantly I explained yesterday it is not a surprise or an over-performance (on history yes, on polls no) because there were not enough polls from reputable firms and too many “Cowboy Polls” in this election.

I don’t just think I called it spot on, but my reason for it apparently a surprise to some is spot on as well.

As regards Florida, which came in early, but a bit of a Red Mirage, my call is it’s getting a bounce because Ron is popular, but it’s the nearest thing to Trumps home state too. Also, correct me where wrong, there’s different types of Latino voter, Dems are struggling with all of them, but more so the Florida type from the Cuba connection.
    Hats off. A minor quibble (I don't think the Dems are losing Nevada) but overall a very solid prediction post. As the famous commentary on Tiger's long snaking putt at Sawgrass in 2001 goes ... "Better than most".
  • Options
    In State legislatures, so far the tally is 41 Republican chambers, 18 Democratic, and 23 still to be decided.

The Democrats have gained trifectas in Michigan, Maryland, and Massachussetts. The Republicans have likely gained a supermajority in North Carolina, which will have big implications for abortion in that State.
  • Options
    When all the house seats are decided I need to deep analysis of Covid deaths per house seat and to see if any could have been flipped if people had got vaxxed.

I think the average is like 2500 Covid deaths per house seat so there must be at least 1 out there.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,886
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

What if it was a free range egg?
  • Options

"Initially read that as ‘train our leaders to ruin the country’."

No experience needed for that.

Ask Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,463
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

What happened to adulterers in previous centuries?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

In State legislatures, so far the tally is 41 Republican chambers, 18 Democratic, and 23 still to be decided.

The Democrats have gained trifectas in Michigan, Maryland, and Massachussetts. The Republicans have likely gained a supermajority in North Carolina, which will have big implications for abortion in that State.

Nevada will be very tight, but I don't think the votes are there to overcome Laxalt's lead now.
  • Options

Alistair said:

I see once again being woke is such an electoral liability and being anti woke leads to electoral victories, oh.

I'll say it again people don't give a shit about trans rights, either way, when they facing a choice between heating or eating, it's the economy stupid.

Who would have thought the party that has this kind of jobs chart would do well on economic issues?

Are those net or gross?

I am guessing gross and Biden gets the covid bounce.
  • Options
    Based on Trafalgar figures on the 5th of November they attempted 185,072 contacts

If they did 8am to 8pm attempts then that's over 4 contact attempts per second.

I honestly cannot believe that Nate Silver was convinced to keep them in his polling averages after a call with Cahaly.
  • Options
    DJ41DJ41 Posts: 792
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

He could in theory be tried for Treason and aiding the King's enemies but at least is guilty of attempted assault or battery
    You are completely bonkers, HYUFD.

Common assault can't be "attempted" because it's not indictable. (Admittedly there is a possible way to get it put on an indictment using s40 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988, but even so I don't think that allows it to be "attempted".)

For some reason you made me think of this hilarious sketch by Peter Cook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyos-M48B8U

If this comes to court at all, the defendant will probably be given a small fine or else the Soviet route will be taken and he'll be locked up as a psychiatric case according to his majesty's pleasure.
This discussion has been closed.