Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

After sacking her Chancellor the money goes on a 2022 Truss exit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739

This is the biggest CON meltdown of all time! Goes well beyond Black Wednesday 1992.

Don't forget May's Conservatives were dead in the water. Six months later Johnson won an eighty seat landslide. The Conservative Party is like a cockroach, it will survive nuclear Armageddon, and thrive.
    Can't remember who said it, but grand election victories are about change.

BoZo won big by promising change from Parliamentary stalemate.

All Starmer has to do is offer change from this shitshow.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

Fuxsake that was brilliant.

Shit statement off a piece of paper read in a dazed monotone.

"I'll take questions. Errrrrrrrrrr....."

3 questions of how the fuck can you stay in your job.

And she pulls the plug and walks off stage.

She is the worst person I have ever seen in a senior political job. Even worse than Jeremy.

I simply cannot remember anyone as bad and embarrassing as Truss is
    Yes. Corbin was collected and enthused in his unhinged nonsense. Because he had been selling the same crap his whole adult life.
    It's hard to judge what someone can handle, and based on experience it seems like Truss could have, but its clear it's too much for her.

May lost control and was not up to it, yet was bizarrely assured at times. We didn't believe nothing had changed, but she did at least
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

What all Tory MPs know: Liz Truss now has the Ed Miliband problem. As he knifed his brother for the Labour leadership, she has hatcheted her best mate to try to retain power.

I thought they were lovers?
    It is widely believed.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,760

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Come on @Heathener you say you have the post. In front of you. So just cut and paste. Takes seconds. And link, please.

Surprised to see you so animated about being accused of saying something a bit silly.
    I’m travelling around the world for free. Again. Always makes me feisty

But, really, PB-era can’t go around accusing others of lying and saying “I have the proof right here” and then not actually provide the proof

We have PB standards and it has always been up to me, in the end, to uphold them

@heathener says she has the exact quote I made, unironically calling liz truss the “Tory saviour, a diamond in the rough” and much else. So all she has to is paste it and link it
    Why does she have to? Fuck all will happen if she doesn't.
    No, it's the only way to shut him up.
    Could have taken up the best part of the next half dozen threads otherwise.
    Leon is Heathener ffs. The whole thing is just him having a bizarre onanistic chat with himself. It's obviously a boring flight.
    Are you not Leon as well?
    Perhaps we are all Leon? Every post is really from one of his alter egos!
    Nah, I'm Eadric not Leon.
    That post seems more Byronic.
  • NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    edited October 2022
    The big issue (for UK politics) are the millions of people on mortgages taken out when interest rates were ludicrously low. If they increase too rapidly the economic and political results will be catastrophic. It is like a UXB or a rolling set of bombs detonating as people re-mortgage. Gradual interest rate rises during a period of inflation that does not cut living standards too much and doesn't get out of control is the only way of avoiding mayhem.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414
    I don’t think Jeremy Hunt should bother unpacking, to be honest. Might be shifted to Number 10 by the end of next week.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

What all Tory MPs know: Liz Truss now has the Ed Miliband problem. As he knifed his brother for the Labour leadership, she has hatcheted her best mate to try to retain power.

I thought they were lovers?
    It is widely believed.
    Well, she's certainly screwed him over now.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    edited October 2022
    Speak your weight machine

Edit: LOL. I switched on and Sky were just showing the whole thing again. I thought it was live.
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 395
    I hate to even think about this but it looked like the BBC pixelated Liz Truss’ cleavage in the official feed. Did anyone else notice that?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010

This is the biggest CON meltdown of all time! Goes well beyond Black Wednesday 1992.

Don't forget May's Conservatives were dead in the water. Six months later Johnson won an eighty seat landslide. The Conservative Party is like a cockroach, it will survive nuclear Armageddon, and thrive.
    Being like a cockroach isn't of itself any guarantee of survival.
    Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You have to hand it to the ERG, they backed a Remainer, Truss over a Leaver, Sunak and ignored those who wanted to back Leaver Badenoch.

They now have a Remainer as PM and Remainer Hunt as Chancellor, Boris' opponent from 2019 of course and a staunch May loyalist.

One can't help but laugh at Mark Francois who is responsible for this!

There is only one person responsible and that is your toxic hero Johnson
    No. Boris won the Tories this majority and ERG backers like Baker turning on him and Francois then ordering the ERG to back Truss has meant they have now seen a Leaver PM and Leaver Chancellor in Boris and Sunak replaced by Remainer Truss as PM and Remainer Hunt as Chancellor.

This now looks more like it could be more like the old May government than the Boris government
    Boris toxic and irresponsible behaviour led us to today

And by the way you voted remain
    No, the likes of you forcing him out over partygate led to today and a bigger Starmer lead than ever there was under Boris.

Yes I did vote Remain and will remain loyal to this government (as I was to the May government) and Hunt is a serious figure for the Treasury and a proper Tory but I also respected the Leave vote and it was only Boris who delivered Brexit
    I didn’t force him out

Boris behaviour became so toxic he was unacceptable to the vast majority of ordinary people
    HYUFD is like a babysitting agency which sends you a heroin-addicted thief whom you reject, so they send you a convicted paedophile instead. When you complain about the paedophile they say Well, you should've stuck with the thief.
    Colourful but correct.

Boris remains unsuitable, and in a personal level not policy which is most remarkable. You have to be really sleazy for MPs to not look the other way.
    Stereodog said:

I hate to even think about this but it looked like the BBC pixelated Liz Truss’ cleavage in the official feed. Did anyone else notice that?

Odd they're so squeamish. She's making plenty of boobs in public anyway.
    Nice one from Peston.
  • Worse?

How could it possibly be worse?

Jehovah! Jehovah! Jehovah!
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Scott_xP said:

🚨NEW Westminster Voting Intention🚨

📈28pt LABOUR LEAD

🌹Lab 51 (+1)
    🌳Con 23 (-2)
    🔶LD 10 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 4 (+1)
    🌍Gre 4 (+1)
    ⬜️Other 8 (=)

2,036 UK adults, 7-9 Oct

(chg from 30 Sept - 2 Oct) https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1580917172310003712/photo/1

Where are the 23% of the population who are still voting Tory?
    My mum and dad. My brother, my girlfriend. People my girlfriend work with. My girlfriends parents.
    I'm going to vote green. The lettuce has won me over.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047

I think Hunt has some of the same weaknesses as Truss, despite being a more polished performer: opportunistic, intellectually shallow, and overly prone to ideological fads and telling people what he thinks they want to hear.

He's the expedient choice. I wouldn't actually let him get up to much - hopefully that's a lesson that's been learned with Kwasi.
    I’d say opinion of MPs right now is significantly harsher than after Boris Johnson appeared to have misled folk about Chris Pincher. Overwhelming mood is that Liz Truss will be gone soon.
    https://twitter.com/AnushkaAsthana/status/1580923152921608193
    edited October 2022
    (((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    21s
    Senior backbencher: "She's near the end now".

Scott_xP said:

📈28pt LABOUR LEAD

🌹Lab 51 (+1)
    🌳Con 23 (-2)
    🔶LD 10 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 4 (+1)
    🌍Gre 4 (+1)
    ⬜️Other 8 (=)

2,036 UK adults, 7-9 Oct

(chg from 30 Sept - 2 Oct) https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1580917172310003712/photo/1

My mum and dad. My brother, my girlfriend. People my girlfriend work with. My girlfriends parents.
    You're turning over a new leaf?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,577

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Come on @Heathener you say you have the post. In front of you. So just cut and paste. Takes seconds. And link, please.

Surprised to see you so animated about being accused of saying something a bit silly.
    I’m travelling around the world for free. Again. Always makes me feisty:

But, really, PB-era can’t go around accusing others of lying and saying “I have the proof right here” and then not actually provide the proof:

We have PB standards and it has always been up to me, in the end, to uphold them:

@heathener says she has the exact quote I made, unironically calling liz truss the “Tory saviour, a diamond in the rough” and much else. So all she has to is paste it and link it:
    I see she has. Dear oh dear. How embarrassing.

Still you have a way to go to match my "she looks fit and well to me, I think she has years yet" contribution about the Queen on the day before she died.
    In the last few months we've also had: Ukrainian professors have spotted aliens. It's the real deal.

Turns out it was total bollocks, as I said so at the time.
    Long time no see! How are Dipsy and Laa-Laa? Your diction has improved no end by the way!
    Hardly surprising - who could type with those hands ?
    🚨MARKET REACTION🚨
    This line is heading the WRONG way, as far as Liz Truss is concerned.
    She will have hoped that these long term interest rates wld FALL following her speech.
    Instead they’re on the way UP.

Early days. Lots of other stuff going on.
    But still: not encouraging. https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1580924019913605125/photo/1
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,678
    From my colleague at work (Conservative member, voted for and wanted Truss, liked her, liked Kwartang):

Furious about Hunt.
    Furious with the party generally.
    Said she's leaving the party if Truss goes and the members don't get a vote.

I suspect she'll be leaving the party therefore........
    edited October 2022
    kle4 said:

Fuxsake that was brilliant.

Shit statement off a piece of paper read in a dazed monotone.

"I'll take questions. Errrrrrrrrrr....."

3 questions of how the fuck can you stay in your job.

And she pulls the plug and walks off stage.

She is the worst person I have ever seen in a senior political job. Even worse than Jeremy.

I simply cannot remember anyone as bad and embarrassing as Truss is
    Yes. Corbin was collected and enthused in his unhinged nonsense. Because he had been selling the same crap his whole adult life.
    It's hard to judge what someone can handle, and based on experience it seems like Truss could have, but its clear it's too much for her.

May lost control and was not up to it, yet was bizarrely assured at times. We didn't believe nothing had changed, but she did at least
    May could “do” big moments quite well. The solemn statement to camera behind a lectern type.

Liz Truss makes Theresa May look like Abraham Lincoln in comparison.
    As a public servant Mark Carney declines to offer a 'value judgement' on Brexit. He's happy to give a neutral valuation though: “Put it this way, in 2016 the British economy was 90 per cent the size of Germany’s. Now it is less than 70 per cent." Boom.

https://www.ft.com/content/f1f0a66a-fa2c-4d70-9874-8003bdb3fb53
    Scott_xP said:

What all Tory MPs know: Liz Truss now has the Ed Miliband problem. As he knifed his brother for the Labour leadership, she has hatcheted her best mate to try to retain power. That's the one thing voters always remembered about Ed, and Truss won't ever shake it off either.
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1580921838309294081

I think there are many reasons to reject her before you reach that one.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    nico679 said:

Well at least Truss didn’t appoint one of the ERG nutjobs to COE.

They are too busy howling at the Moon... or Brussels.... or something...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,577
    edited October 2022
    Knives Out.

This is from an MP that supported truss…

“An embarrassingly robotic performance. I'm not sure the parliamentary party or markets will be reassured or convinced by her single automaton answer to legitimate journalistic questions"

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1580923231997157377

MPs saying they think press conference made things worse. A senior former minister: “she has to go”
    https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1580923113843236865
    Scott_xP said:

What all Tory MPs know: Liz Truss now has the Ed Miliband problem. As he knifed his brother for the Labour leadership, she has hatcheted her best mate to try to retain power. That's the one thing voters always remembered about Ed, and Truss won't ever shake it off either.

I think that's a big misreading of the situation. She trusted him to be COE despite not great experience and being very dodgy on policy, because of their bond, or because he knew where the bodies were buried. In return, he shat the bed. He's been a lot more costly to her than she has to him.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

But, really, PB-era can’t go around accusing others of lying and saying “I have the proof right here” and then not actually provide the proof

We have PB standards and it has always been up to me, in the end, to uphold them

@heathener says she has the exact quote I made, unironically calling liz truss the “Tory saviour, a diamond in the rough” and much else. So all she has to is paste it and link it
    Leon is Heathener ffs. The whole thing is just him having a bizarre onanistic chat with himself. It's obviously a boring flight.
    No, you are actually an AI created by Leon. We all are.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

Scott_xP said:

📈28pt LABOUR LEAD

🌹Lab 51 (+1)
    🌳Con 23 (-2)
    🔶LD 10 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 4 (+1)
    🌍Gre 4 (+1)
    ⬜️Other 8 (=)

2,036 UK adults, 7-9 Oct

I'm going to vote green. The lettuce has
    won me over.
    The lettuce has said far fewer stupid things in fairness.

• From my colleague at work (Conservative member, voted for and wanted Truss, liked her, liked Kwartang):

Furious about Hunt.

And she'll be no great loss!
    Scott_xP said:

🚨MARKET REACTION🚨
    She will have hoped that these long term interest rates wld FALL following her speech.

But still: not encouraging. https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1580924019913605125/photo/1

That can only mean the markets had priced in her resignation.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I did mention it, I think, but not sure if it counts as a tip backing Truss at 46 to be gone this year during the weekend after the not-a-budget.
    Scott_xP said:

Which is a shame for him as I still say he didnt knife anybody.
    Scott_xP said:

As a public servant Mark Carney declines to offer a 'value judgement' on Brexit. He's happy to give a neutral valuation though: “Put it this way, in 2016 the British economy was 90 per cent the size of Germany’s. Now it is less than 70 per cent." Boom.

Funny how it coincides with his time at the Bank.

I think Hunt has some of the same weaknesses as Truss, despite being a more polished performer: opportunistic, intellectually shallow, and overly prone to ideological fads and telling people what he thinks they want to hear.

A bit of polish would go a long way at the moment.
    Scott_xP said:

This shows what a success it is because what you fail to realise is that a British % is twice as large as a Euro % so the UK is up by 40e% (or 20b%)

If you do a press conference at a low point like this, you stay and answer all the questions. Even Boris Johnson knew that.

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1580920837892636672

We have reached that stage in the crisis when even the Guardian are looking back wistfully on the summer lawns of the Johnson administration.

Wonder how Kwasi's champagne hedge fund buddies are feeling today?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Liz Truss seems to have a knack of making things worse when she tries to make things better. It’s impressive.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    edited October 2022
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

etc. etc.

"She is the real deal."
    "She has the empathy"
    "[She has the] cleverness to win the next election for the Tories."
    "Somehow, not by merit, purely by luck, the Tories have unearthed a star."
    "She espouses rightwing beliefs with humanity and humour."
    "Articulate woman."
    "Fascinating."

It's fine. We all make mistakes from time to time. The fool fails to admit it.

QED

lol. OK fair enough I said that. You somewhat exaggerated my remarks - but it doesn’t look like I was joking either

I shall eat humble pie and grits for breakfast
    Who wants to own up to liking the pictured post? And who wants to go back and unlike asap? :wink:

Can't be bothered to go and find it, but I'd guess maybe LG and our piratical friend on current form, struggling for the third to be honest. Liz Truss fans please [come forward and] explain?
    I don't recall the post, but I'd happily like it now. I find it funny how everyone's predictions about winning the next election are being held up to ridicule; unless I miss my guess, we haven't had the election.
    I'm not ridiculing. I've got bets (from ages ago) on Con most seats and Con majority :open_mouth: I did however predict Truss would be shit, although I thought (and may have said) that she may well get a short poll boost before reality hit home.

(I really need Truss gone before the GE. Luckily they're only small bets)
    Remember the glory days when you and I were playing Starmer Next PM like a violin? Imagine if somebody had said back then that he'd be the Next PM bar TWO but still be PM in 2024. God we'd have larfed and pointed.

And on the betting front let me again say how much I hope my old pal @isam returns, me sat here holding my 3/1 docket with him that Starmzy is PM post the GE.

Scott_xP said:

📈28pt LABOUR LEAD

🌹Lab 51 (+1)
    🌳Con 23 (-2)
    🔶LD 10 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 4 (+1)
    🌍Gre 4 (+1)
    ⬜️Other 8 (=)

2,036 UK adults, 7-9 Oct

hmmmm....

• eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

There are a few on here who are definitely not an I, artificial or real.
  • Scott_xP said:

Rich!
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

📈28pt LABOUR LEAD

🌹Lab 51 (+1)
    🌳Con 23 (-2)
    🔶LD 10 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 4 (+1)
    🌍Gre 4 (+1)
    ⬜️Other 8 (=)

2,036 UK adults, 7-9 Oct

You're turning over a new leaf?
    That's just word salad.

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My father (a professional philosopher) always wondered if it was possible to create Artificial Stupidity.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861

Black Wednesday was the banks and traders taking on the government over one specific thing (the ERM). That was not a problem of the party in government being in complete meltdown, like it is now.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587

Tory MPs already texting to say they think that Liz Truss's press conference has actually made things worse.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1580920454713573376

An MP texts: “even by her standards that was really bad”

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1580919204126941186

She'll be in Downing Street with a big grin saying to everybody who will listen

"That went REALLY well didn't it...."

JUST TYPE THE FUCKING RESIGNATION LETTER, LIZ.....
    Hunt's resignation letter? A bit premature surely? She has only just finished typing Kwarteng's.

From my colleague at work (Conservative member, voted for and wanted Truss, liked her, liked Kwartang):

Furious about Hunt.

And she'll be no great loss!
    Sounds like Farage is setting up some new party or other for her.
    Scott_xP said:

Looks like they too are busy shorting gilts to give it much of a thought.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    edited October 2022

Tory MPs already texting to say they think that Liz Truss's press conference has actually made things worse.

I think it would be terribly unfair on the Dead Ringers team if she resigns before they get a chance to satirise her leadership. They've already missed out on a chance to make something of Kwarteng, and he had such a distinctive accent that would surely have been perfect for them.
    kle4 said:

How about

• eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

My father (a professional philosopher) always wondered if it was possible to create Artificial Stupidity.
    Where was he when the Truss was born/created?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    edited October 2022

Scott_xP said:

📈28pt LABOUR LEAD

🌹Lab 51 (+1)
    🌳Con 23 (-2)
    🔶LD 10 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 4 (+1)
    🌍Gre 4 (+1)
    ⬜️Other 8 (=)

2,036 UK adults, 7-9 Oct

Me, my mum and dad. My brother, my girlfriend. People my girlfriend work with. My girlfriends parents.
    Fixed it for you!
    Nigelb said:

Knives Out.

“An embarrassingly robotic performance. I'm not sure the parliamentary party or markets will be reassured or convinced by her single automaton answer to legitimate journalistic questions"

MPs saying they think press conference made things worse. A senior former minister: “she has to go”

And of course I suspect the performance was exactly the same at the 1922 meeting on Wednesday. Robotic and not answering anything.

• TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,678
    Why hasn't Starmer announced he'll lay down a Parliamentary VoNC on Monday?
    Just get it over with for christ sake.
    The Conservative MPs who vote with him won't lose the whip, because then there would be no one left to whip.

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I’m travelling around the world for free. Again. Always makes me feisty:

But, really, PB-era can’t go around accusing others of lying and saying “I have the proof right here” and then not actually provide the proof:

We have PB standards and it has always been up to me, in the end, to uphold them:

@heathener says she has the exact quote I made, unironically calling liz truss the “Tory saviour, a diamond in the rough” and much else. So all she has to is paste it and link it:
    I see she has. Dear oh dear. How embarrassing.

Still you have a way to go to match my "she looks fit and well to me, I think she has years yet" contribution about the Queen on the day before she died.
    In the last few months we've also had: Ukrainian professors have spotted aliens. It's the real deal.

Turns out it was total bollocks, as I said so at the time.
    Don't recall that one. I'm assiduous to a fault but even I skim and filter on here sometimes. You have to.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535

Scott_xP said:

Funny how it coincides with his time at the Bank.
    I'm fairly sure his figures are wrong anyway, it was more like 80% in 2016.
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

🚨MARKET REACTION🚨

That can only mean the markets had priced in her resignation.
    Or more than just the Corporation Tax reversal.
    I just think it's a tragedy that the Tory party can't just be transformed into a reality TV show, provided the people concerned are kept well away from anything that could affect real life.

Think how entertaining it could be - a Dorries premiership, a Rees Mogg premiership, a Fabricant premiership - say one a week for 13 weeks or something. Provided it was a bit of fun.
    The yield on 30-year bonds now indicates markets are more worried, not less, since Liz Truss sacked Kwasi Kwarteng, u-turned on £17bn a year of corporation tax and replaced him with Jeremy Hunt. One can only speculate why. It may be to do with her performance in the presser: https://twitter.com/andyverity/status/1580925884915388416/photo/1
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    Scott_xP said:

Still rich....
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    From the sound of Faisal seems Kwarteng wasn't on board with junking the corporation tax thing.
  • UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 775
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I had my misgivings about Ed, but it did gall how the Tories were able to paint him on the one hand as weak and spineless and on the other as a vile traitor who axed his brother.

While David might have made the better leader (and I'm not so sure he would have), he had no claim to leadership by right of birth order.
    NEW:

Leaked WhatsApp messages reveal a major row going on between Tory MPs

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1580926951602393088/photo/1
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    kle4 said:

The few PBers still supporting this government are doing a lot of polishing.

I think it would be terribly unfair on the Dead Ringers team if she resigns before they get a chance to satirise her leadership. They've already missed out on a chance to make something of Kwarteng, and he had such a distinctive accent that would surely have been perfect for them.
    I heard Dead Ringers do her.

It was the death knell of anybody wanting to be treated as a serious politician. Brutal.

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

As far as "stupidity" is concerned, there is an abundance of natural talent, particularly in No.10 at the moment
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    21s

Her time will be so short she won't even get a book deal for her memoirs...
    Scott_xP said:

NEW:

Rest of the Sane World v. Nadine hardly counts as a "major row"....
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited October 2022

He's the expedient choice. I wouldn't actually let him get up to much - hopefully that's a lesson that's been learned with Kwasi.
    On many issues Hunt has always been very much on the left of the party. As he seems very much the cuckoo in this particular cabinet nest, it doesn’t for one moment suggest agreements and stability.

Is this really happening?
    GIN1138 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    21s

Maybe one of those mindfulness colouring books?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    GIN1138 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    21s

I think she will purely because of her role in the succession.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

I don't think it's really true either. It was certainly far less prominent than the idea of a hung parliament giving Sturgeon a veto.
    GIN1138 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    21s

I wish Harry Cole had used his question to enquire whether he should return the advance he has just taken from HarperCollins for a Truss biog?
    GIN1138 said:

(((Dan Hodges)))
    @DPJHodges
    ·
    21s

Perhaps a Post-It note deal?
  • Can’t we make rules/ tweaks to ensure that the membership don’t ever get to choose a PM again. The Truss case is such a slam dunk

But don't forget 113 (virtually 1/3) of Tory MPs voted for her rather than Sunak or Mordaunt - they have some responsibility too
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Jonathan said:

Liz Truss seems to have a knack of making things worse when she tries to make things better. It’s impressive.

El Gord got like at towards the end as did Mrs May. Power and authority just drains away.

The thing is that Liz is that she never had any power or authority in the first place...
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

It's a semi-plausible theory.
    But I'm unconvinced, as he can't usually maintain a different character for more than a day without being obvious.
    The Heathener construct is Mystic Rose and there's a 0% chance of it being Leon imo. But he'd like it to be thought so - because it takes considerable skill to pull off an alter ego for any period of time and it's not the same skill as being (which he is) a vivid and charismatic writer.
    Of course in and amongst the rubble from the press conference, Liz did manage to sneak out that spending wouldn’t rise as quickly as previously stated. So there will be below-inflation rises. Or cuts, essentially.
    Scott_xP said:

NEW:

Rishi and Penny on manoeuvres confirmed?
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704
    Nigelb said:

Knives Out.

‘Robotic’ hits the nail on the head.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,181

kle4 said:

How about

Polish indeed.

Jeszcze Polska nie zginęła,
    Kiedy my żyjemy.
    Co nam obca przemoc wzięła,
    Szablą odbierzemy.

• Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Just laid Truss to be out this year at 1.78. Still far greener if she goes this year but now green either way.
    GIN1138 said:

Jonathan said:

El Gord got like at towards the end as did Mrs May. Power and authority just drains away.

The thing is that Liz is that she never had any power or authority in the first place...
    She had it right up until the moment Kwasi stood up in the HoC

The Conservative MPs who vote with him won't lose the whip, because then there would be no one left to whip.

VONC in her, not her government?

• IcarusIcarus Posts: 885
    Thank goodness, everything will be OK now.. Jeremy Hunt did PPE at Oxford. (Kwarteng was at another place)

On many issues Hunt has always been very much on the left of the party. As he seems very much the cuckoo in this particular cabinet nest, it doesn’t for one moment suggest agreements and stability.

Is this really happening?
    Look, Labour have stumped for a boring middle aged white guy, the Tories were fools not to do the same!
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704

kle4 said:

How about

That’s a tache the legend that is Graham Gooch would have been proud of.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724

Hunt has to go. And go now.

Why?
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    Scott_xP said:

The yield on 30-year bonds now indicates markets are more worried, not less, since Liz Truss sacked Kwasi Kwarteng, u-turned on £17bn a year of corporation tax and replaced him with Jeremy Hunt. One can only speculate why. It may be to do with her performance in the presser: https://twitter.com/andyverity/status/1580925884915388416/photo/1

The ironic thing really, all this fuss, all this gesture politics is over not very much “market turbulence” or problems at all compared to all the pressure and drama to come in the weeks and months ahead.
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Has Truss signed off her letter to Kwarteng as..err.. Kwarteng himself?

https://twitter.com/shippersunbound/status/1580901215722143744?s=46&t=s_ViaGSYR4mS1xWYRHGmAw

At least Boris could organise a piss up and didnt even need the brewery.
    For me this removes any last vestige of missing him. The one and only plus was he could be "entertaining" - well I'm sorry but this from Truss is entertainment par excellence. There'll be a blockbuster movie and maybe some oscars if they cast it well. Johnson was a great big tedious yawn of a bore by comparison.
    Who would play Truss ?
    Carrie era Sissy Spacek for me.
    That's not a bad call; she could do the mix of determination, awkwardness and vulnerability.
    And wreaking havoc! ... albeit not of the intentional righteous variety.
    Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    49m
    I don't blame Truss. This isn't her fault. But her entire economic agenda, including her specific flagship policy, has been destroyed. She can't carry on with any honour. She is now nothing more than a spokesperson for policies & a policy agenda over which she has no control.
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 885

VONC in her, not her government?

Vote to deduct £100 from her salary as PM to help pay for Growth
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,522

Best guess, he thinks he benefits more by leaving the Tories in office, rather than having a general election when he'll need to come up with some policies.
  • Driver said:

Best guess, he thinks he benefits more by leaving the Tories in office, rather than having a general election when he'll need to come up with some policies.
    Don't interrupt the enemy when they are making a mistake?

• CD13CD13 Posts: 6,349
    I have time for Vicky Young, but even she was struggling to explain the Truss performance. Being PM isn't for everyone, and intellgence isn't essential but self-awareness is.

Boris had arrogance on his side, but I'm not sure what Liz has.

This discussion has been closed.