Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

After sacking her Chancellor the money goes on a 2022 Truss exit – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    Selebian said:

News: Sweden has called off a „Joint Investigation Team“ with Germany and Denmark into the attacks on the Nordstream pipelines, referring to information too highly classified to share.

https://twitter.com/fideliusschmid/status/1580895348910075905

Ok. I'm not saying it was aliens. But...
    Woke Gay Trans Illegal Immigrant Aliens?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938

I simply cannot remember anyone as bad and embarrassing as Truss is

Even Corbyn...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    edited October 2022

Fuxsake that was brilliant.

Shit statement off a piece of paper read in a dazed monotone.

"I'll take questions. Errrrrrrrrrr....."

3 questions of how the fuck can you stay in your job.

And she pulls the plug and walks off stage.

She is the worst person I have ever seen in a senior political job. Even worse than Jeremy.

Yes. Corbin was collected and enthused in his unhinged nonsense. Because he had been selling the same crap his whole adult life.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

She is the worst person I have ever seen in a senior political job. Even worse than Jeremy.

I predicted it back in July. What I don't get is how someone so terrible doesn't realize their own limitations? What on earth made her think she has what it takes to be PM? And even more ludicrously how did she get so many people voting for her?
    She made the most outlandish promises and dressed up as Thatcher. Thats it.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    GIN1138 said:

I predicted it back in July. What I don't get is how someone so terrible doesn't realize their own limitations? What on earth made her think she has what it takes to be PM? And even more ludicrously how did she get so many people voting for her?
    The last question is easy - the alternative definitely wasn't going to work because it was promising a continuation of the policies that caused the problems. So you might as well roll the dice, even with a small chance of success.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    Truss legs it to the disbelief of the Lobby. She said the same thing over again and never addressed the total collapse of her government's credibility. At this rate Hunt will be PM by the time his own plane lands...

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1580917248159469568
  • Options
    Remember the Tories can’t get rid of her because *then* they’d look ridiculous.

https://twitter.com/tompeck/status/1580918218260373504
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Scott_xP said:

Even Corbyn...
    Steady on ...
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167

nico679 said:

Brutal question from Harry Cole - these are your policies from your campaign and you and Kwazi were in lockstep. How can you stay?

She was expecting a nicer question from what would normally be one of the Tory arse licking journalists and Cole stuck the knife in ! Lol
    Remember that Harry Cole practically used to toss off Boris Johnson at press events. Perhaps she isn't to his taste.
    Even after Boris too his main squeeze.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001
    Who will last longer? Truss, or a lettuce? The Daily Star has a live feed: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/liz-truss-lettuce-last-longer-28235047

Looks like an iceberg, which has longevity. Truss, of course, is a romaine-er.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

How quickly we forget old Boris.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    darkage said:

Its going to be like this for 2 years, she is just going to be a figurehead zombie leader.

That’s unfair. Zombies have a clear priority: get brains.
    Really sure Truss lacks that clarity.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    Ghedebrav said:

Who will last longer? Truss, or a lettuce? The Daily Star has a live feed: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/liz-truss-lettuce-last-longer-28235047

Except in press conferences, where she's a hardcore Leaver.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Scott_xP said:

Last week I said:

"This is quite comfortably our largest ever Labour vote share and largest ever Labour lead - even back in the ComRes days, don't think @PigsAndPolling saw anything like this."

And repeat. https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1580917172310003712

But Driver says that's just The Narrative. I mean, these polling companies ADMIT to only asking questions of about 1,000 people out of the 65m in the country, how can their views possibly be representative in any way?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    I've said little about the recent problems. She was never my preferred leader choice and can see no possible reason to justify anything other than a swift resignation to end this awful situation for the country and the party. On every imaginable level there is no way she can be seen as a credible leader of anything and leat of all PM. Just awful.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    edited October 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Come on @Heathener you say you have the post. In front of you. So just cut and paste. Takes seconds. And link, please.

Surprised to see you so animated about being accused of saying something a bit silly.
    I’m travelling around the world for free. Again. Always makes me feisty

But, really, PB-era can’t go around accusing others of lying and saying “I have the proof right here” and then not actually provide the proof

We have PB standards and it has always been up to me, in the end, to uphold them

@heathener says she has the exact quote I made, unironically calling liz truss the “Tory saviour, a diamond in the rough” and much else. So all she has to is paste it and link it
    Why does she have to? Fuck all will happen if she doesn't.
    No, it's the only way to shut him up.
    Could have taken up the best part of the next half dozen threads otherwise.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Scott_xP said:

Even Corbyn...
    Corbyn would have been damaging by design, she is damaging by incompetence
  • Options
    Footsie up 4.25%.

Pricing in a resignation?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Has Truss signed off her letter to Kwarteng as..err.. Kwarteng himself?

https://twitter.com/shippersunbound/status/1580901215722143744?s=46&t=s_ViaGSYR4mS1xWYRHGmAw

At least Boris could organise a piss up and didnt even need the brewery.
    For me this removes any last vestige of missing him. The one and only plus was he could be "entertaining" - well I'm sorry but this from Truss is entertainment par excellence. There'll be a blockbuster movie and maybe some oscars if they cast it well. Johnson was a great big tedious yawn of a bore by comparison.
    Who would play Truss ?
    Carrie era Sissy Spacek for me.
  • Options
    Pound drops after Liz Truss statement on fiscal plan, down 1.2% against the dollar http://bloom.bg/3EFA47I https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1580918418647052288/photo/1
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

etc. etc.

"She is the real deal."
    "She has the empathy"
    "[She has the] cleverness to win the next election for the Tories."
    "Somehow, not by merit, purely by luck, the Tories have unearthed a star."
    "She espouses rightwing beliefs with humanity and humour."
    "Articulate woman."
    "Fascinating."

It's fine. We all make mistakes from time to time. The fool fails to admit it.

QED

lol. OK fair enough I said that. You somewhat exaggerated my remarks - but it doesn’t look like I was joking either

I shall eat humble pie and grits for breakfast
    Who wants to own up to liking the pictured post? And who wants to go back and unlike asap? :wink:

Can't be bothered to go and find it, but I'd guess maybe LG and our piratical friend on current form, struggling for the third to be honest. Liz Truss fans please [come forward and] explain?
    I don't recall the post, but I'd happily like it now. I find it funny how everyone's predictions about winning the next election are being held up to ridicule; unless I miss my guess, we haven't had the election.
    I'm not ridiculing. I've got bets (from ages ago) on Con most seats and Con majority :open_mouth: I did however predict Truss would be shit, although I thought (and may have said) that she may well get a short poll boost before reality hit home.

(I really need Truss gone before the GE. Luckily they're only small bets)
  • Options

Taz said:

Worse than Estelle Morris ?
    Estelle Morris wasn't a disaster as Education Secretary, but was honest enough to look at herself and say "I'm not up to this". That is far far better than dozens of other wazzocks promoted beyond the level of their incompetence who sit there blagging their way through.
    I’d dispute she’s the worst person ever in a senior job. She’s had several and done some of them relatively well. She is an awful PM. The worst in my living memory. Her only purpose seems to be to make her predecessors look competent.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981

Leon said:

Liz Truss is going to surprise on the upside.

Move over Roger, Leon is the new Rogerdamus

I never said that. I said: who knows, we may get lucky, and she may surprise on the upside, given that expectations of are so desperately low. Sadly, she has undershot even that

And I invented “Rogerdamus” and I might start charging royalties

Well we could focus on your What.Three.Words predictions.

Even worse than your Truss comments.
    What were his W3W predictions?

That system was always a gimmick doomed to failure – erroneously using a homophone or similar word can land you on the other side of the world. Far too prone to hard error.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121

DavidL said:

Heathener said:

The funniest thing would be for Liz Truss, knowing her game's up, to say to herself 'fuck it', go to the Palace and call a General Election.

What would tory MPs be able to do about it?

Tell the King that her replacement has the Confidence of the Commons and can have a majority government.
    The only way that doesn't work is if the Truss loyalists are determined to rally round her and crash the Parliament.

No idea how many there might be.
    Imagine the fingers of a badly mutilated hand.
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 144
    edited October 2022
    Evens is a silly price for 2022 exit. Tory party consistently too incompetent to throw its leaders out. Lay it.

(having said that I just managed to lay more at 1.82, heh)
  • Options
    BBC making me grit my teeth. Agreeing with anything by Blackford really hurts.

4 Chancellors in a year! And it’s only October.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,417
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Come on @Heathener you say you have the post. In front of you. So just cut and paste. Takes seconds. And link, please.

Surprised to see you so animated about being accused of saying something a bit silly.

But, really, PB-era can’t go around accusing others of lying and saying “I have the proof right here” and then not actually provide the proof

We have PB standards and it has always been up to me, in the end, to uphold them

@heathener says she has the exact quote I made, unironically calling liz truss the “Tory saviour, a diamond in the rough” and much else. So all she has to is paste it and link it
    Leon is Heathener ffs. The whole thing is just him having a bizarre onanistic chat with himself. It's obviously a boring flight.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,231
    edited October 2022

Hunt is of course now unsackable, holds the purse strings, and is by a country mile the most experienced minister in the government. He's also ruthless, tough, and someone who really masters detail. The PM, in contrast, is the most busted of all flushes. This will be an interesting dynamic, but I think it's likely that he will fulfil the role Lod Mandelson fulfilled when Gordon Brown swallowed his pride and brought him back into the cabinet to effectively run the government.

Tory MPs should accept this ugly mess as probably less ugly than any of the alternatives.

Yes. It's pretty much what I suggested I'd do if I were Truss last night.

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4167118#Comment_4167118

The momentum of the anti-Truss mutiny might be unstoppable though.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,801
    So everyone else is still wrong . Zero contrition and ran away because she’s too spineless to answer more than 4 questions .
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon is Heathener ffs. The whole thing is just him having a bizarre onanistic chat with himself. It's obviously a boring flight.
    Are you not Leon as well?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,432

Selebian said:

News: Sweden has called off a „Joint Investigation Team“ with Germany and Denmark into the attacks on the Nordstream pipelines, referring to information too highly classified to share.

https://twitter.com/fideliusschmid/status/1580895348910075905

Ok. I'm not saying it was aliens. But...
    Woke Gay Trans Illegal Immigrant Aliens?
    Hmm, Mermaids?
  • Options
    I think we need to get to a place where badly unqualified politicians cannot become PM to implement the cosplay fantasises in their head
    https://twitter.com/TheScepticIsle/status/1580919828424294404
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,452
    edited October 2022
    Could we actually see Tories start calling for her resignation today? I can’t think that press conference will have helped her one bit, quite the opposite in fact
  • Options
    Heathener said:

"She is the real deal."
    "She has the empathy"
    "Articulate woman."
    "Fascinating."

QED

LOL
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Ghedebrav said:

Kos it'll be the lettuce.....
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173

Check out the Guardian, Richard (Dicky Dido) Burgon has spoken. Liz Truss by contrast is the consummate professional politician.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

This keeps coming up - there is no way that Leon is Heathener.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    edited October 2022
    Sky really pissed they didn't get to ask a question.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992
    So the corporation tax cut reversed following the reversal of the 45p additional rate cut. Least popular parts of the mini budget and a clear attempt to reassure the markets while keeping the more popular parts
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    edited October 2022
    kinabalu said:

Just watched Liz and I'm afraid I saw a suffering shell of a person. She is simply not up to the job she has blagged/fluked her way into, intellectually or emotionally. Can't abide her simple simon politics but I actually find her quite likeable and I feel sorry for her now. Hope she goes and quickly. Best for all, I think, including herself.

I think she is now just a hostage to other forces, the conservative MP's on one hand; and the technocrats on the other. It is Theresa May post 2017, albeit with less self awareness. I think there is a real possibility the situation will stabilise and just go on like this for 2 more years. Purely because the various factions of the Conservative party won't be able to agree on how to replace her.
  • Options
    Beth Rigby: only 4 questions = extraordinary and will not reassure MPs. MP message to her: even for LT that was shockingly bad.
  • Options

Heathener said:

"She is the real deal."
    "She has the empathy"
    "Articulate woman."
    "Fascinating."

QED

LOL
    He’s admitted it.

Why the snark ?
  • Options
    I know morality has seemingly no part to play, but I cannot get over the fact that Truss has fired a man for implementing her ideas. It is fundamentally wrong and the whole country, her whole party, will see that.

https://twitter.com/StigAbell/status/1580920086147526656
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

etc. etc.

"She is the real deal."
    "She has the empathy"
    "Articulate woman."
    "Fascinating."

QED

lol. OK fair enough I said that. You somewhat exaggerated my remarks - but it doesn’t look like I was joking either

I shall eat humble pie and grits for breakfast
    Who wants to own up to liking the pictured post? And who wants to go back and unlike asap? :wink:

Can't be bothered to go and find it, but I'd guess maybe LG and our piratical friend on current form, struggling for the third to be honest. Liz Truss fans please [come forward and] explain?
    I don't recall the post, but I'd happily like it now. I find it funny how everyone's predictions about winning the next election are being held up to ridicule; unless I miss my guess, we haven't had the election.
    I'm not ridiculing. I've got bets (from ages ago) on Con most seats and Con majority :open_mouth: I did however predict Truss would be shit, although I thought (and may have said) that she may well get a short poll boost before reality hit home.

(I really need Truss gone before the GE. Luckily they're only small bets)
    Everyone needs her gone before GE - well maybe not Starmer
  • Options
    Bond markets unimpressed. But surely a step in the correct direction.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

🚨NEW Westminster Voting Intention🚨

📈28pt LABOUR LEAD

🌹Lab 51 (+1)
    🌳Con 23 (-2)
    🔶LD 10 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 4 (+1)
    🌍Gre 4 (+1)
    ⬜️Other 8 (=)

2,036 UK adults, 7-9 Oct

(chg from 30 Sept - 2 Oct) https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1580917172310003712/photo/1

Where are the 23% of the population who are still voting Tory?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You have to hand it to the ERG, they backed a Remainer, Truss over a Leaver, Sunak and ignored those who wanted to back Leaver Badenoch.

They now have a Remainer as PM and Remainer Hunt as Chancellor, Boris' opponent from 2019 of course and a staunch May loyalist.

One can't help but laugh at Mark Francois who is responsible for this!

There is only one person responsible and that is your toxic hero Johnson
    No. Boris won the Tories this majority and ERG backers like Baker turning on him and Francois then ordering the ERG to back Truss has meant they have now seen a Leaver PM and Leaver Chancellor in Boris and Sunak replaced by Remainer Truss as PM and Remainer Hunt as Chancellor.

This now looks more like it could be more like the old May government than the Boris government
    Boris toxic and irresponsible behaviour led us to today

And by the way you voted remain
    No, the likes of you forcing him out over partygate led to today and a bigger Starmer lead than ever there was under Boris.

[snip]
    Boris lied blatantly to the house of commons, which should be a matter of resignation. His downfall was entirely of his own making.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Pound drops after Liz Truss statement on fiscal plan, down 1.2% against the dollar http://bloom.bg/3EFA47I https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1580918418647052288/photo/1

She opens her mouth and the pound falls. Rather consistently.

At last we've discovered her talent. And it's one you can make money from. What more could a Tory ask for?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_xP said:

Last week I said:

"This is quite comfortably our largest ever Labour vote share and largest ever Labour lead - even back in the ComRes days, don't think @PigsAndPolling saw anything like this."

And repeat. https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1580917172310003712

But Driver says that's just The Narrative. I mean, these polling companies ADMIT to only asking questions of about 1,000 people out of the 65m in the country, how can their views possibly be representative in any way?
    I do hope you're not going to claim that if the by election results yesterday had been strong for Labour and weak for the Toies that it wouldn't have been trumpeted as another example of Truss's failures - both below and likely above the line?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Er....why?

One of the greatest challenges for a male writer is to write women.

"Heathener" is just a writing exercise, for when he is bored.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,734
    In what I doubt is a unique opinion, whilst I have no sympathy for Kwarteng, whose plans were very clearly presented without proper preparation, it is always ridiculous when Chancellors are blamed, or in this case sacked, for ideas which the PM was fully behind.
  • Options

Death Rigby horrified she missed a chance to make it all about herself
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,191
    This is the biggest CON meltdown of all time! Goes well beyond Black Wednesday 1992.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    We have to ask ourselves why we had an election with the two worst potential PMs in post-war history followed by the replacement of one of them by the most unsuitable PM in modern history.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

The Remarkable Rocket.
    (One of Wilde's best.)
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Nah, Heathener is Piers Morgan.
  • Options

They would have just asked the same one as everyone else: why are you still here?
  • Options

I know morality has seemingly no part to play, but I cannot get over the fact that Truss has fired a man for implementing her ideas. It is fundamentally wrong and the whole country, her whole party, will see that.

https://twitter.com/StigAbell/status/1580920086147526656

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I’m travelling around the world for free. Again. Always makes me feisty:

But, really, PB-era can’t go around accusing others of lying and saying “I have the proof right here” and then not actually provide the proof:

We have PB standards and it has always been up to me, in the end, to uphold them:

@heathener says she has the exact quote I made, unironically calling liz truss the “Tory saviour, a diamond in the rough” and much else. So all she has to is paste it and link it:
    I see she has. Dear oh dear. How embarrassing.

Still you have a way to go to match my "she looks fit and well to me, I think she has years yet" contribution about the Queen on the day before she died.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

At last we've discovered her talent. And it's one you can make money from. What more could a Tory ask for?
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

The GBP against the GREENBACK started falling at 1.35 not when useless Liz started speaking.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You have to hand it to the ERG, they backed a Remainer, Truss over a Leaver, Sunak and ignored those who wanted to back Leaver Badenoch.

They now have a Remainer as PM and Remainer Hunt as Chancellor, Boris' opponent from 2019 of course and a staunch May loyalist.

One can't help but laugh at Mark Francois who is responsible for this!

There is only one person responsible and that is your toxic hero Johnson
    No. Boris won the Tories this majority and ERG backers like Baker turning on him and Francois then ordering the ERG to back Truss has meant they have now seen a Leaver PM and Leaver Chancellor in Boris and Sunak replaced by Remainer Truss as PM and Remainer Hunt as Chancellor.

This now looks more like it could be more like the old May government than the Boris government
    Boris toxic and irresponsible behaviour led us to today

And by the way you voted remain
    No, the likes of you forcing him out over partygate led to today and a bigger Starmer lead than ever there was under Boris.

Yes I did vote Remain and will remain loyal to this government (as I was to the May government) and Hunt is a serious figure for the Treasury and a proper Tory but I also respected the Leave vote and it was only Boris who delivered Brexit
    I didn’t force him out

Boris behaviour became so toxic he was unacceptable to the vast majority of ordinary people
    HYUFD is like a babysitting agency which sends you a heroin-addicted thief whom you reject, so they send you a convicted paedophile instead. When you complain about the paedophile they say Well, you should've stuck with the thief.
  • Options

We have to ask ourselves why we had an election with the two worst potential PMs in post-war history followed by the replacement of one of them by the most unsuitable PM in modern history.

I am going to plead the fifth and avoid answering that one, not to avoid incriminating myself but because we did B***** yesterday yet again.
  • Options
    That 'press conference' was worse than having no press conference at all.
    🤖All the answers were the same, whatever the question.
    🤖Looked more robotic than ever with those pauses.
    🤖Walked off woodenly but abruptly.
    A true car-crash of comms. https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1580917874540978176
  • Options

I am going to plead the fifth and avoid answering that one, not to avoid incriminating myself but because we did B***** yesterday yet again.
    Boris looks assured by comparison.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Has Truss signed off her letter to Kwarteng as..err.. Kwarteng himself?

https://twitter.com/shippersunbound/status/1580901215722143744?s=46&t=s_ViaGSYR4mS1xWYRHGmAw

At least Boris could organise a piss up and didnt even need the brewery.
    For me this removes any last vestige of missing him. The one and only plus was he could be "entertaining" - well I'm sorry but this from Truss is entertainment par excellence. There'll be a blockbuster movie and maybe some oscars if they cast it well. Johnson was a great big tedious yawn of a bore by comparison.
    Who would play Truss ?
    Carrie era Sissy Spacek for me.
    That's not a bad call; she could do the mix of determination, awkwardness and vulnerability.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

In what I doubt is a unique opinion, whilst I have no sympathy for Kwarteng, whose plans were very clearly presented without proper preparation, it is always ridiculous when Chancellors are blamed, or in this case sacked, for ideas which the PM was fully behind.

You would have assumed that she would have prepared an excuse to address that point when questioned on it. Bizarrely it seemed to take her by surprise and she just started stuttering about stability.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Tory MPs already texting to say they think that Liz Truss's press conference has actually made things worse.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1580920454713573376

An MP texts: “even by her standards that was really bad”

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1580919204126941186
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

Ghedebrav said:

As a salad vegetable it is not nearly as well dressed as Truss has been this week.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    PaulSimon said:

This is like a hostage video...

And if Leon’s travails weren’t bad enough, go turn on the TV!
  • Options
    Changing the Chancellor doesn't undo the damage made in Downing Street.

Liz Truss’ reckless approach has crashed the economy, causing mortgages to skyrocket, and has undermined Britain’s standing on the world stage. 1/2

We need a change in government.

With my leadership, Labour will secure Britain’s economy and get us out of this mess. 2/2

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1580920592663879680
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,417
    Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

There bloody is way, he as good as admitted it before her last long absence.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

It's a semi-plausible theory.
    But I'm unconvinced, as he can't usually maintain a different character for more than a day without being obvious.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,801
    Well at least Truss didn’t appoint one of the ERG nutjobs to COE.

• Options
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

"She is the real deal."
    "She has the empathy"
    "Articulate woman."
    "Fascinating."

QED

LOL
    He’s admitted it.

Why the snark ?
    I didn't see the admission first (I have now liked it)
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

🚨NEW Westminster Voting Intention🚨

📈28pt LABOUR LEAD

🌹Lab 51 (+1)
    🌳Con 23 (-2)
    🔶LD 10 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 4 (+1)
    🌍Gre 4 (+1)
    ⬜️Other 8 (=)

2,036 UK adults, 7-9 Oct

(chg from 30 Sept - 2 Oct) https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1580917172310003712/photo/1

Where are the 23% of the population who are still voting Tory?
    My mum and dad. My brother, my girlfriend. People my girlfriend work with. My girlfriends parents.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058

Can’t we make rules/ tweaks to ensure that the membership don’t ever get to choose a PM again. The Truss case is such a slam dunk

Make the appointment of a new PM subject to a confidence vote in the House of Commons rather than taking it on trust. That would subtly shift the dynamics to give MPs more power.
  • Options
    Chris said:

DavidL said:

Heathener said:

The funniest thing would be for Liz Truss, knowing her game's up, to say to herself 'fuck it', go to the Palace and call a General Election.

What would tory MPs be able to do about it?

Tell the King that her replacement has the Confidence of the Commons and can have a majority government.
    The only way that doesn't work is if the Truss loyalists are determined to rally round her and crash the Parliament.

No idea how many there might be.
    Imagine the fingers of a badly mutilated hand.
    "Her supporters can be counted on the fingers of one leprotic stump...."

Nice!
  • Options
    What all Tory MPs know: Liz Truss now has the Ed Miliband problem. As he knifed his brother for the Labour leadership, she has hatcheted her best mate to try to retain power. That's the one thing voters always remembered about Ed, and Truss won't ever shake it off either.
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1580921838309294081
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,231
    DavidL said:

Two Chancellors until Christmas?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Liz Truss’ reckless approach has crashed the economy, causing mortgages to skyrocket, and has undermined Britain’s standing on the world stage. 1/2

With my leadership, Labour will secure Britain’s economy and get us out of this mess. 2/2

How?
  • Options
    TinkyWinkyTinkyWinky Posts: 134
    edited October 2022
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

But, really, PB-era can’t go around accusing others of lying and saying “I have the proof right here” and then not actually provide the proof:

We have PB standards and it has always been up to me, in the end, to uphold them:

@heathener says she has the exact quote I made, unironically calling liz truss the “Tory saviour, a diamond in the rough” and much else. So all she has to is paste it and link it:

Still you have a way to go to match my "she looks fit and well to me, I think she has years yet" contribution about the Queen on the day before she died.
    In the last few months we've also had: Ukrainian professors have spotted aliens. It's the real deal.

Turns out it was total bollocks, as I said so at the time.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I remember Gordon Brown giving a hideous rictus grin when handling a question over Mrs Duffy, and I
    suddenly felt sorry for him. Poor old Truss looked broken in the same way. Perhaps they were basically nice people in the wrong job, or over-ambitious ones suddenly realising they couldn't hack it.

Or a bit of both.

You don't need to be Nostrodamus to predict the furure. PMs need to thick-skinned and confident. Intelligence isn't needed if you can choose the right people around you.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173
    edited October 2022

This is the biggest CON meltdown of all time! Goes well beyond Black Wednesday 1992.

Don't forget May's Conservatives were dead in the water. Six months later Johnson won an eighty seat landslide. The Conservative Party is like a cockroach, it will survive nuclear Armageddon, and thrive.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

What all Tory MPs know: Liz Truss now has the Ed Miliband problem. As he knifed his brother for the Labour leadership, she has hatcheted her best mate to try to retain power.

I thought they were lovers?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,891

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Perhaps we are all Leon? Every post is really from one of his alter egos!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

What all Tory MPs know: Liz Truss now has the Ed Miliband problem. As he knifed his brother for the Labour leadership, she has hatcheted her best mate to try to retain power. That's the one thing voters always remembered about Ed, and Truss won't ever shake it off either.
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1580921838309294081

I would say her problems are far greater than poor Ed’s.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

In the last few months we've also had: Ukrainian professors have spotted aliens. It's the real deal.

Turns out it was total bollocks, as I said so at the time.
    Long time no see! How are Dipsy and Laa-Laa? Your diction has improved no end by the way!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    Scott_xP said:

Sir Keir Starmer's press officer presumably can't believe his luck.

He doesn't even have to write it, his opponents are literally doing it for him.
  • Options
    If you do a press conference at a low point like this, you stay and answer all the questions. Even Boris Johnson knew that.

https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1580920837892636672
  • Options
    edited October 2022

DavidL said:

Two Chancellors until Christmas?
    Certainly at least 1 more when Hunt or a n other takes over.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    If she goes, will we get another chancellor by Christmas.
  • Options

Tory MPs already texting to say they think that Liz Truss's press conference has actually made things worse.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1580920454713573376

An MP texts: “even by her standards that was really bad”

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1580919204126941186

She'll be in Downing Street with a big grin saying to everybody who will listen

"That went REALLY well didn't it...."

JUST TYPE THE FUCKING RESIGNATION LETTER, LIZ.....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058
    I think Hunt has some of the same weaknesses as Truss, despite being a more polished performer: opportunistic, intellectually shallow, and overly prone to ideological fads and telling people what he thinks they want to hear.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

Ghedebrav said:

As a salad vegetable it is not nearly as well dressed as Truss has been this week.
    Why does the lettuce have Jeremy Hunt’s eyes?
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Perhaps we are all Leon? Every post is really from one of his alter egos!
    Nah, I'm Eadric not Leon.
This discussion has been closed.