Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Why’s crickets still going ahead but not football? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Alistair said:

The Ukrainian Kharkiv adventure get ever more spectacular in the speed of their advance.

When the picture was shown with them on the very outskirts of Kupyansk I treated it with caution it deserved. Now they have photos from the centre of town.

The rumour (I don't believe it) is that the Russians are preparing a withdrawal not only from Izyum, but Lyman.

Perhaps the rumour just a few days ahead of the curve.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,268

Leon said:

Out of curiosity I went back and read the first dedicated PB thread after the initial Russian invasion. I am somewhat impressed by our measured, resolute and prescient commentary. Quite a few PB-ers were predicting energy crises right from the start. Nobody really embarrasses themselves. Well done us

But I did find an absolute stone cold classic from @Roger

His first reaction to the Ukraine war?

“Time for NATO to disband.“

I recall him saying, as he headed to Cannes (I think) that the mood there would be very down, since a number of people had lost their yachts as a result of sanctions.
    Bless him, he’s been Totally Wrong About Everything since the summer of 1908

“Time for NATO to disband” is a keeper, tho
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Having watched too much Game of Thrones, that was a little boring. I was half expecting the red accession council.
  • Alistair said:

The Ukrainian Kharkiv adventure get ever more spectacular in the speed of their advance.

When the picture was shown with them on the very outskirts of Kupyansk I treated it with caution it deserved. Now they have photos from the centre of town.

The rumour (I don't believe it) is that the Russians are preparing a withdrawal not only from Izyum, but Lyman.

Locals already saying the Russians have left Lyman - was around 90 mins ago
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

RobD said:

Foxy said:

Oh God, spare me the Woke takes about white men and Diversity.

Typical of the triumph of the #patriarchy that a woman is replaced by a white male, who
    then changes the national anthem to be all about him, and they say that #meghan is self obsessed...
    Has anyone checked what Charles’ preferred pronouns are?
    One..
    "One's Majesty's Ship"...
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:

Oh God, spare me the Woke takes about white men and Diversity.

Typical of the triumph of the #patriarchy that a woman is replaced by a white male, who
    then changes the national anthem to be all about him, and they say that #meghan is self obsessed...
    Has anyone checked what Charles’ preferred pronouns are?
    One..
    "One's Majesty's Ship"...
    OMG ...
  • TazTaz Posts: 10,704

Taz said:

Interesting seeing Alex Salmond at a state event. And Howard and Hague are both there too, and so it seems only Corbyn isn't.

He’s got a ‘Stop the War’ event to speak at later today.
    Oh he's protesting outside the Russian embassy is he? 😇
    🤔🤔🤔🤔

I get the feeling Palestine will somehow come into it.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,169

Alistair said:

And on the TV news channels and print media you’d hardly know there was a war going on. Wall to wall Queen on telly, wall to wall Kharkiv oblast on Twitter.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Leon said:

Out of curiosity I went back and read the first dedicated PB thread after the initial Russian invasion. I am somewhat impressed by our measured, resolute and prescient commentary. Quite a few PB-ers were predicting energy crises right from the start. Nobody really embarrasses themselves. Well done us

Anything from me saying Ukraine looked fit and well?
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339
    rcs1000 said:

biggles said:

TOPPING said:

On topic the question is a good one and no one has answered it (save for @HYUFD with his customary logic regarding dates and seasons).

Why cricket and not football. Or vice versa.

I assumed we all skipped over it or made a joke because it’s a silly question. The ECB and the FA made different decisions (in reality, probably some years ago in preparation) in isolation from each other, and no third party intervened. It really is that simple. Having made their decisions, they were stuck with them.

One other point - a full football schedule requires more policing, which I guess influenced the FA/league discussion.
    Also, if County Cricket stopped, would anyone notice?
    When I was a Middlesex Member* I often took my laptop and worked from Lords. You watch a bit of cricket and it’s quiet and peaceful.

*They provided no Covid refund nor did they take the approach of other clubs and ask us to voluntarily surrender the cash in return for something else.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

Alistair said:

There will be a lot of abandoned equipment if so.
  • Phillips P. OBrien
    @PhillipsPOBrien
    ·
    2h
    Replying to
    @PhillipsPOBrien
    Those interested in strategy of all kinds and all levels will be studying Ukrainian planning for decades.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I recall him saying, as he headed to Cannes (I think) that the mood there would be very down, since a number of people had lost their yachts as a result of sanctions.

Rogerdamus, he’s not been around for a while.

That NATO one was a zinger.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343

HYUFD said:

The Reformation stands. The King has promised to defend and secure the Protestant religion in both England and Scotland not return us to Rome and the Vatican

Symbolic
    Slightly more than symbolic. 'Protestant' is an archaic word but not an archaic concept. It just means 'Catholic but not Roman Catholic'. And 'catholic church' just means 'universal church' - of which the CoE modestly claims to be a little part.

The word is archaic and should be dropped because the 'protest' ceased a few centuries ago. As Father Jack would correctly say, it is now 'an ecumenical matter'.

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    Quite an astonishing group of people there, pretty much every living senior figure in the country.

There have never been seven living PMs before, and here they are all in the same room.

The funeral, and the coronation to follow, will be even more astonishing in their attendance.
  • Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

On the subject of Ukraine, my personal view is that the one thing the Russians cannot afford is for thousands - or tens of thousands - of their troops to be captured.

Dead. Injured. These can be hidden, at least in the short term.

But captured troops in Ukraine is a massive problem. Because those troops can speak. And their mothers will agitate for their return.

If there are mass captures, then I think Putin's days are numbered.

You’ve been suggesting a possible Russian collapse for a couple of weeks. You made me sit up and read, and realise you could be right. So: chapeau
    As I recall various commentators were saying that the Russians had one more offensive of reserves left.

They were jeered at by the usual suspects.

The Russians had their offensive.

This is the Ukrainian counter offensive.

100 Days Offensive comes to mind…
    There were 'experts' who were convinced that Russia's asthmatic ant Donbass offensive was somehow war winning.

Whereas it was obviously costing them more in men, material and perhaps most importantly in time than it was gaining.
  • Alistair said:

We'll see.

Obviously I am hoping for the Russian rout.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,005
    kinabalu said:

Why have we got Catherine Deneuve running the show?

Belle De Jour is one of the best films ever made. If you've a strong stomach try Repulsion too. Been meaning to try The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg too.

I presume you are commenting on her likeness to Penny Mordaunt? She is the official face of Marianne the goddess of liberty.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The bank holiday will make the logistics of funeral far easier. I suspect that might have been behind it. Modern London has not seen this.
  • Alistair said:

Does that mean the cricket is cancelled in Kupyansk as well? I fear for our mutual friend…
    If we can't get the Ukrainians playing cricket, then all the support we will have provided to them will have been for naught.
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Anything from me saying Ukraine looked fit and well?
    No, you are perfectly reasonable - you are sickened and depressed, like the rest of us

I am laconically accused by @moonshine of starting the war by calling Putin a “pussy” a few days before

So it’s all classic PB territory. And creditable
  • I expect that the monarchy will emerge from these sad days more popular than ever and of course republicans will be upset, or even dismayed, as the death of the Queen does not look like it will encourage their desire for a republic

However, I do expect Commonwealth countries to declare republics in the years to come
  • theakestheakes Posts: 839
    My 8 year old grand son was playing his first competitive match on Sunday, all cancelled.
    He is devastated. Who was responsible for this stupid decision at the FA?

So far as I recall First Division football was played a day or two after the death of George V!, there was a 2 minute silence was there not and some hymn singing but the games were played, rightly so.

Will the hotels be requiring compensation for the cancellation by League Clubs of their overnight accommodation?

I am sure the Queen would not have wanted things to stop.

I am a very interested in the constitutional formalities but this blanket TV coverage, sorry I retreated to Netflix last night and Ozark!.
  • Strange the Trumpeters having EIIR blazoned across their chest.

Be stranger once we start seeing CIIIR
    Jonathan said:

So HM comes in and proclaims “ lock the doors, there are going to be some changes round here. I am in charge. Release the hounds “.

Meanwhile it’s good to see Gordon Brown bending Boris’ ear.

Would have hilarious if he had just declined to mention the sovereign grant stuff.
  • RattersRatters Posts: 756

Alistair said:

It will be fascinating to see how far Ukraine can push their advantage. I expected Izyum to bee the extent of their current advancement, but it seems that's already being surpassed.
  • Phillips P. OBrien
    @PhillipsPOBrien
    ·
    2h
    Replying to
    @PhillipsPOBrien
    Those interested in strategy of all kinds and all levels will be studying Ukrainian planning for decades.

Aim where the Pentagon defense [sic] analysts tell you?
  • I was a bit disappointed that Penny Mordaunt didn't read out a list of candidates for Lord High Executioner.

We never had one. The common hangman of London (and Middlesex) usually did the job.
  • "Ukrainian forces were on the verge of trapping thousands of Russian soldiers in an encirclement that, if successful, would be Moscow’s worst battlefield defeat since the Second World War."

Telegraph

This is all putting a smile on my face. Go Ukraine.

Lyman and Izyum seem to have been surrendered without a fight. The Ukrainians are on the pursuit. Within about 7 miles of the border apparently. Having a beer in Riga Central Market, has made up for yesterday's delayed flight.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    theakes said:

My 8 year old grand son was playing his first competitive match on Sunday, all cancelled.

So far as I recall First Division football was played a day or two after the death of George V!, there was a 2 minute silence was there not and some hymn singing but the games were played, rightly so.

Will the hotels be requiring compensation for the cancellation by League Clubs of their overnight accommodation?

I am a very interested in the constitutional formalities but this blanket TV coverage, sorry I retreated to Netflix last night and Ozark!.

My recollection of last time is that, apart from b****r all being on the radio, life went on very much as normal until the funeral itself, after which the radio returned to normal!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    Ratters said:

Alistair said:

It will be fascinating to see how far Ukraine can push their advantage. I expected Izyum to bee the extent of their current advancement, but it seems that's already being surpassed.
    Best not get over extended, not that Russia has much in the way of mobile reserves, but useful to get a good strong bridgehead on the east side of the Oskil River.

Then perhaps turn south before the mud season hits and retake the Azov coast...
  • Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

On the subject of Ukraine, my personal view is that the one thing the Russians cannot afford is for thousands - or tens of thousands - of their troops to be captured.

But captured troops in Ukraine is a massive problem. Because those troops can speak. And their mothers will agitate for their return.

You’ve been suggesting a possible Russian collapse for a couple of weeks. You made me sit up and read, and realise you could be right. So: chapeau
    As I recall various commentators were saying that the Russians had one more offensive of reserves left.

There were 'experts' who were convinced that Russia's asthmatic ant Donbass offensive was somehow war winning.

Whereas it was obviously costing them more in men, material and perhaps most importantly in time than it was gaining.
    This is what the people talking about "culmination" meant. The Russian "victory" in Donbas broke them. And then they moved half the troops to the right bank in Khersonska.
    The Ukraine War summarised in one 12 second video

“The 🇷🇺#Russians were filming a propaganda clip and then got hit.”

https://twitter.com/praisethesteph/status/1568310952180826112?s=21&t=2KwJh9wgJMyWyZme9uPhFw
    Cricket has started:
    England won the toss and decided to field.
  • kinabalu said:

Belle De Jour is one of the best films ever made. If you've a strong stomach try Repulsion too. Been meaning to try The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg too.

I presume you are commenting on her likeness to Penny Mordaunt? She is the official face of Marianne the goddess of liberty.
    I think it changes with the times, apparently someone called Evelyne Thomas is the current model.
  • I was a bit disappointed that Penny Mordaunt didn't read out a list of candidates for Lord High Executioner.

That's a job where you don't want to sign on the wrong dotted line.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,169
    Foxy said:

Ratters said:

Alistair said:

Best not get over extended, not that Russia has much in the way of mobile reserves, but useful to get a good strong bridgehead on the east side of the Oskil River.

Then perhaps turn south before the mud season hits and retake the Azov coast...
    I don’t think Autumn is so muddy there as spring: more residual vegetation cover, lower soil moisture at depth (particularly in the South), no frozen layers impeding drainage, not particularly rainy compared with spring either.

• wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841

I was a bit disappointed that Penny Mordaunt didn't read out a list of candidates for Lord High Executioner.

When i am King of the restored Kingdom of East Anglia i shall have an executioner known as The Shade who's face will never be seen. He will merely silently appear, despatch the criminal and retreat to the darkness.
    All shall crave vengeance and all shall be fear and all shall fall silent when The Shade does appear
  • Leon said:

The ironclad law of pb: Roger is wrong about everything, all the time, except the Oscars.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343
    theakes said:

In a free world different groups make divergent decisions. In the great scheme of things it's trivial. It's the price of not living in North Korea where the matters of what is compulsory and what is forbidden would be spelt out more clearly.

• TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    Blimey no medals on the guardsmen. Only the gold blokes with campaign medals.

Sounds weird also "King's Guard".
    Sandpit said:

Quite an astonishing group of people there, pretty much every living senior figure in the country.

There have never been seven living PMs before, and here they are all in the same room.

The funeral, and the coronation to follow, will be even more astonishing in their attendance.

That struck me too. A bomb there could in one stroke have eliminated the ... Nigel Farage voice ... "polidical clarse".
  • kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

That struck me too. A bomb there could in one stroke have eliminated the ... Nigel Farage voice ... "polidical clarse".
    Or…Donald Trump voice…’The Swamp’
  • I finally understand how the North Koreans felt when Kim Il-sung and Kim Jong-il died.
    Amazing to think that until a couple of days ago we had a Catholic PM.
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

A bomb arranged, built and planted in that timescale would tend to make 'conspiracy' your starting point for truth
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Izyum only has one open road leaving it now and it's not exactly motorway standard.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    theakes said:

Older relative worked on the plan for queen's funeral at BBC in the 80s. Apparently the idea then was to have turn off all broadcasting and just play music!

What is bizarre to me is other countries' behaviour. Brazil has declared a 3 day mourning period!?
  • SA 7 - 2 after 2.2 overs
    Leon said:

https://twitter.com/praisethesteph/status/1568310952180826112?s=21&t=2KwJh9wgJMyWyZme9uPhFw

Chechens would have been better but good stuff anyway.

kinabalu said:

Yes, Mordaunt. Talk about the starring role. It seemed to be all about her.

And in another shudder moment for me I realized, since I suppose it was due to her being LOTH, that it could have been Mogg. I actually couldn't have watched it then.

Cricket has started:
    England won the toss and decided to field.

Makes sense. Avoids an England batting collapse putting a downer on the mood.
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    I think Starmer's looked quite impressive during this time. Talk about a Liz T bounce, that could be cancelled out by a Starmer bounce.
  • I must say I find Charlie’s uxoriousness quite endearing, I think that’s at least twice he’s specifically mentioned his beloved wife.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    rkrkrk said:

theakes said:

Older relative worked on the plan for queen's funeral at BBC in the 80s. Apparently the idea then was to have turn off all broadcasting and just play music!

What is bizarre to me is other countries' behaviour. Brazil has declared a 3 day mourning period!?
    Same out here in the sandpit, flags everywhere at half mast until Monday. It’s a truly global event.
    Speculation on Twitter that Russia could lose 20,000 soldiers in the previous and upcoming week - killed, injured, captured, MIA

About 10% of the entire army, in a fortnight. And Kherson could be equally as bad

Very shortly Putin will have to decide: mobilize or yield
  • jonny83 said:

I think Starmer's looked quite impressive during this time. Talk about a Liz T bounce, that could be cancelled out by a Starmer bounce.

They both look like leaders we could be proud to have.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Michael Atherton: "the authorities are desperate to not do the wrong thing."

Which is precisely why it should have been made clear to them well beforehand that they should carry on as normal unless there are specific practical issues.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    edited September 2022
    rkrkrk said:

theakes said:

The Bolsonaro factor? I’m sure he loves the idea of a 62 year long reign and a hereditary monarchy.

Amazing to think that until a couple of days ago we had a Catholic PM.

Boris must be regretting those Downing Street parties even more now.
    Carrie even more that that!
  • Leon said:

Speculation on Twitter that Russia could lose 20,000 soldiers in the previous and upcoming week - killed, injured, captured, MIA

About 10% of the entire army, in a fortnight. And Kherson could be equally as bad

50/50 Putin lives to see in the New Year.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    Pulpstar said:

Ed Miliband the only former loto there.
    No Corbyn, but also no Howard or Hague.

Cameron and Blair are both former LOTOs, as is Major.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,181
    Leon said:

If the rout continues, it won´t be his choice to make.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Have others been watching Designated Survivor on Netflix? Basically exactly that scenario (in the US).

Leon said:

Chechens would have been better but good stuff anyway.
    There is an absolutely blood-boiling video of Chechen soldiers using Ukrainian civilians to clear mines, videoing, then laughing as the poor people get blown up

I shan’t link. It is Satanic. PB-ers can find it if they want

It does serve one useful purpose in showing why Putin’s Russia must be utterly vanquished, and these Chechen demons killed or jailed. Preferably killed
  • Listening to the start of the cricket match and it feels very clear that the decision not to play any football matches today was wrong. People need to be together to express themselves collectively at a time like this, and many people will do that through sport.

I hope the FA will realise they made a mistake and have matches played during the week and next weekend.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 3,773

Leon said:

I’m going for him having his window fall this weekend whilst everyone’s watching the UK…

If this rout is as big as it seems then he’s toast quickly so they can save face and blame it on him totally asap.
  • tlg86 said:

Michael Atherton: "the authorities are desperate to not do the wrong thing."

Which is precisely why it should have been made clear to them well beforehand that they should carry on as normal unless there are specific practical issues.

Shades of racing cancelling the Cheltenham Festival over foot and mouth disease, when government neither asked nor wanted them to.
  • Cicero said:

Leon said:

If the rout continues, it won´t be his choice to make.
    For the sake of all of us let us pray this is nearing the end game
    edited September 2022
    jonny83 said:

I dont think the VI will be much changed by how theyve responded, and best PM is a curious one. Starmer has looked statesmanlike at times so may bounce in that but Truss actually is being PM during this crisis and thus may also bounce....
    VI im not sure. There will be those that think CoL is being ignored but there will also be a drive behind small c conservatism because of all the tradition on display. Latent patriotism. Im not sure who benefits most from that.
    Wayne Lineker’s tribute to HM The Queen is quite something to behold.

https://twitter.com/ichlugebullets/status/1568317330945343489?s=21&t=2_klis10nnsPs8V4ZqijFQ
  • Now there are rumours that Ukraine have retaken Donetsk airport, as well as breaking through Russian lines towards Lysychansk. Forget the coronation, at this rate the war could be over before QEII's funeral.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Suboptimal news for all the HPC fanbois out there: Vampire squid predicts crashes down under and canada, level in UK

https://twitter.com/i/events/1568340594136588288

FORTUNE
    @FortuneMagazine
    ·
    13h
    2) 📉Through the end of 2023, Goldman Sachs predicts a drop in home prices in:

👉New Zealand (-21%)
    👉Australia (-18%)
    👉Canada (-13%)

For comparison, the U.S. housing bubble saw home prices drop 27% between 2006 and 2012.
    Show this thread
    FORTUNE
    @FortuneMagazine
    ·
    13h
    3) Even though Goldman Sachs has Australia, Canada, and New Zealand in the housing crash (or almost crash) camp, it’s less pessimistic about other G10 countries:

👉France (-6%)
    👉 U.K. (remain the same)
    👉 U.S. (+1.8%)

kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

Or…Donald Trump voice…’The Swamp’
    Do hope he's not coming to the funeral. Almost rather have Putin.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    edited September 2022

I must say I find Charlie’s uxoriousness quite endearing, I think that’s at least twice he’s specifically mentioned his beloved wife.

At least he hasn’t said he wishes he was a tampon so he could spend all day in her.

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

As the much maligned Haig said in January 1918, well in advance of Michael, 'the Germans would do well to hesitate before committing to a major offensive, for if it failed their position would be critical.'
    Dura_Ace said:

HYUFD said:

The Reformation stands. The King has promised to defend and secure the Protestant religion in both England and Scotland not return us to Rome and the Vatican

All Charles. Third of his name. King of the Gammons and the Micra Drivers. Owner of Fat Fingers. Shagger of Audrey Roberts Impersonator.
    I wouldn't have said Diana looked like Audrey Roberts.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    I’m
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Rogerdamus, he’s not been around for a while.

That NATO one was a zinger.

Alistair said:

Does that mean the cricket is cancelled in Kupyansk as well? I fear for our mutual friend…
    If we can't get the Ukrainians playing cricket, then all the support we will have provided to them will have been for naught.
    #Charters&Caldicut
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,575
    Leon said:

FPT

Leon said:

@Nigelb its like the Tet Offensive in its use of partisan warfare/sabotage behind American lines, all synchronised superbly with an outright attack on the front

Tet came as a total shock to the USA, at a time when the Americans complacently thought the war was quietening down with no major moves

In many ways thereafter the Tet was a failure for Hanoi and the Yanks pushed the VC back quite easily

But Tet broke the American will to fight. It showed Americans at home the war was unwinnable and the North would never give up, and would endure any cost. From that moment Saigon 73 was inevitable

If you’ve not read it already, you might like ‘A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in Vietnam’ - superb - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bright_Shining_Lie

Won a Pulitzer.

Let’s hope the current Ukrainian operations become more Bagration than Tet.

I actually read that on my first trip to Vietnam

For me the best book about the war - and there are dozens of excellent examples - is Caputo’s “A Rumor of War”

https://www.amazon.com/Rumor-War-Classic-Vietnam-Anniversary/dp/1250117127
    Did you read "Kill Anything that Moves" ?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anything-Moves-American-Empire-Project/dp/1250045061

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625

Leon said:

I’m thinking that in the aftermath of the Putin regime, a profitable venture will be suicide proof windows, in Russia.

Anyone want to invest?
This discussion has been closed.