Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why’s crickets still going ahead but not football? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847

This one will keep Oryx Ukraine busy:

"With the continuous progress of the Ukrainian army in the Kharkiv region, the Ukrainian fighters stumbled upon a large warehouse that had previously been destroyed by "HIMARS" strikes, which was used by the Russian army to hide its vehicles."

https://twitter.com/alrakad_M/status/1568555770656051201

Nice one!

The Ukranian intelligence has been brilliant in this war - a combination of silly Russians with phones, lots of friendlies on the ground, and everything NATO can muster by air and satellite.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,363
    kle4 said:

Stop the War Coalition here hosting an event on Ukraine with no Ukrainians and speakers who have explicitly defended Russian aggression in Ukraine. STWC are anti-Ukraine and pro-Russia, and they are organising on the basis of halting weapons transfers to Ukraine. It’s pure evil.

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1568515417676677121

And yet so convinced helping someone defend themselves is immoral.
    I don't understand the mentality of STWC, except that I think they start from a position that if the west support country A against country B then country B must be in the right. I think that's pretty much the extent of their analysis.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    edited September 2022

IanB2 said:

There must be a huge row going on behind the scenes over the date of the funeral. A bank holiday has been declared which rules out Saturday. The for-gods-sake-get-it-over-with party are presumably campaigning for Friday while the we-need-an-extra-72-hours-to-get-ready party are holding out for Monday. Time is on their side.

Isn’t it Monday 19th?
    Nothing yet officially announced.
    My town council has received the official guidance and that date is in it. Stated as the end of the official period of mourning and strongly implied as the funeral date.
  • Options
    South Africa collapsing almost as fast as the Russian front line.
  • Options

I think the proclamation is the best part of it all. I just love the idea of the news being spread throughout the Kingdom by heralds and the announcement being read out in front of cathedrals, churches and town halls in every corner of the realm. I wonder how long it took for the news to become universal before there were the railways, let alone the telegraph, telephone and internet.

A living history lesson. Beautiful and daft in equal terms. Our silly old country at once full of sorrow and pageant.There is nowhere else like it. Even in the depth of decline we are magnificent.

Other opinions are available

I'll take yours! Decline is not the word I would use, though. It doesn't have to be that way. Change is coming, but that can be very positive if handled well.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

I think the proclamation is the best part of it all. I just love the idea of the news being spread throughout the Kingdom by heralds and the announcement being read out in front of cathedrals, churches and town halls in every corner of the realm. I wonder how long it took for the news to become universal before there were the railways, let alone the telegraph, telephone and internet.

A living history lesson. Beautiful and daft in equal terms. Our silly old country at once full of sorrow and pageant.There is nowhere else like it. Even in the depth of decline we are magnificent.

TBF all countries do silly pageantry. Look at the US and the certification of the votes of the EC.

Of course, these ceremonies remain important because without them things would not be legal.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Why have we got Catherine Deneuve running the show?

Belle De Jour is one of the best films ever made. If you've a strong stomach try Repulsion too. Been meaning to try The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg too.

I presume you are commenting on her likeness to Penny Mordaunt? She is the official face of Marianne the goddess of liberty.
    Yes, Mordaunt. Talk about the starring role. It seemed to be all about her.

And in another shudder moment for me I realized, since I suppose it was due to her being LOTH, that it could have been Mogg. I actually couldn't have watched it then.
    Not even to watch professional RC Jacob Rees-Mogg squirm during the protestantism as the true faith bit?
    Ah yes hadn't thought of that. The "protestant" segment was slightly jarring, I thought. Not a One Nation sentiment.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    FFS, will somebody please explain to Stokes that when Broad calls for a review that’s a sign it’s not out?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,910
    Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

Sounds like there's a bit of a ruckus in the east end. Republican march had been planned and the police pulled the plug. Which hasn't gone down terribly well.
    Bristol Bar has had a patriotic makeover.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/21253605.glasgows-bristol-bar-unveils-tribute-queen-elizabeth-following-death/

As for the march, green (Irish) republican or Green(eco) republican or plain republican republican? Can't find it anywhere.
    Not sure I'm afraid. Just a sudden flurry of posts to Glasgow social media asking about the big police presence and lots of argy bargy.

Ah - see https://twitter.com/DerryCraic/status/1568545152343359489
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    Cyclefree said:

On the other hand there are some cynics still in our family.

Husband - watching the ceremony - is asking how one gets one of these Dressing-Up Jobs.

Since he's a barrister he has a Dressing Up Job already, complete with wig, so an odd question.

Interesting to see the ceremony: a combination of grandeur and the sorts of pedantic minute-taking seen in council offices.

Presumably all the QCs are now KCs.
  • Options

The network of beacons attempted in their antiquated way to transmit information at the speed of light. I don't know how much info they would actually convey, though. When fires were lit for the Spanish Armada how was the information interpreted at the other end? This has always struck me as an implausible fable.

When the Gunpowder Plot was discovered Robert Catesby decided he'd be safer at home in Ashby St Ledger (he was wrong) so he rode there overnight, presumably changing horses at intervals on the way. He was on the event horizon, though the forces of law'n'order weren't far behind.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,636
    tlg86 said:

Michael Atherton: "the authorities are desperate to not do the wrong thing."

Which is precisely why it should have been made clear to them well beforehand that they should carry on as normal unless there are specific practical issues.

It was clear beforehand in most London Bridge contingency plans that it would be a local decision. It was not a surprise to have the palace announce that.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,913

I'll take yours! Decline is not the word I would use, though. It doesn't have to be that way. Change is coming, but that can be very positive if handled well.

It doesn't, you're right. But then again, we are Dolly Parton at Glastonbury.
  • Options
    The messenger carrying word of Elizabeth I’s death to James in Edinburgh took sixty hours.

There was then an awkward moment for the following 10 days while messages went back and forth appointing Cecil as Protector until the King arrived. The first one wasn’t worded correctly so Cecil had to ask James to sign another one.

This was sent back with a reproachful note saying, in effect, ‘now I’ve signed this for you, perhaps you’ll do as you’re told.’
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Cyclefree said:

I must say I find Charlie’s uxoriousness quite endearing, I think that’s at least twice he’s specifically mentioned his beloved wife.

At least he hasn’t said he wishes he was a tampon so he could spend all day in her.
    If you knew anything about this aspect of a woman's life, you'd know how ignorant - unhygienic and potentially dangerous - such a statement is, as well as a bit oafish, frankly.

He loves her and is happy with her and is saying so publicly. What on earth is wrong with that?

What people say in private to each other - especially about their sexual passion for each other - is unlikely to make any of us, including you, I suspect, look dignified. So cut it out, eh.
    Let's not test this last para. Let's just accept it's true.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

The network of beacons attempted in their antiquated way to transmit information at the speed of light. I don't know how much info they would actually convey, though. When fires were lit for the Spanish Armada how was the information interpreted at the other end? This has always struck me as an implausible fable.

When the Gunpowder Plot was discovered Robert Catesby decided he'd be safer at home in Ashby St Ledger (he was wrong) so he rode there overnight, presumably changing horses at intervals on the way. He was on the event horizon, though the forces of law'n'order weren't far behind.
    Quite, yippee or oh fuck?

Here is Athens getting the news of its worst ever military defeat and end of empire event, from a randomer in a hairdressers:

For a certain stranger, it seems, coming to Piraeus, and there sitting in a barber's shop, began to talk of what had happened, as if the Athenians already knew all that had passed; which the barber hearing, before he acquainted anybody else, ran as fast as he could up into the city, addressed himself to the Archons, and presently spread it about in the public Place. On which, there being everywhere, as may be imagined, terror and consternation, the Archons summoned a general assembly, and there brought in the man and questioned him how he came to know. And he, giving no satisfactory account, was taken for a spreader of false intelligence and a disturber of the city, and was, therefore, fastened to the wheel and racked a long time, till other messengers arrived that related the whole disaster particularly.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Leon said:

Stop the War Coalition here hosting an event on Ukraine with no Ukrainians and speakers who have explicitly defended Russian aggression in Ukraine. STWC are anti-Ukraine and pro-Russia, and they are organising on the basis of halting weapons transfers to Ukraine. It’s pure evil.

It rather gives the lie to @NickPalmer’s claim that Corbyn is a cuddly old uncle. He is not. He’s either a stupid old git or a really nasty stupid old git. And I tend to the latter
    On a personal level he seems to be a nice fellow, probably a good guy to be friends with. But one cannot ignore where some of his views take him, particularly on foreign affairs - kindly uncles do not do such things.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,848
    Pretty clear Russia is now losing this war, and badly, and swiftly

Putin has two cards to play:

1 claim it is now total war against NATO, and mobilize the nation

2 some form of nuclear chaos. Either zap the Zap plant, or drop tactical nukes

Trouble is 1 would be supremely unpopular in Russia, especially in his own elite circles, and it is not clear how 2 benefits Russia, other than sowing chaos and fear everywhere
  • Options

They still won’t know in Leverburgh. By Christmas maybe?

• Options
    Christo Grozev
    @christogrozev
    ·
    17m
    Oh and by the way, yes Russian forces surrendered Liman too, apparently.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    IshmaelZ said:

Suboptimal news for all the HPC fanbois out there: Vampire squid predicts crashes down under and canada, level in UK

https://twitter.com/i/events/1568340594136588288

FORTUNE
    @FortuneMagazine
    ·
    13h
    2) 📉Through the end of 2023, Goldman Sachs predicts a drop in home prices in:

👉New Zealand (-21%)
    👉Australia (-18%)
    👉Canada (-13%)

For comparison, the U.S. housing bubble saw home prices drop 27% between 2006 and 2012.
    Show this thread
    FORTUNE
    @FortuneMagazine
    ·
    13h
    3) Even though Goldman Sachs has Australia, Canada, and New Zealand in the housing crash (or almost crash) camp, it’s less pessimistic about other G10 countries:

👉France (-6%)
    👉 U.K. (remain the same)
    👉 U.S. (+1.8%)

Goldman Sachs research department has, of course, never been wrong.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    Aren't Stop The War pretty much a novelty act now? What would be more interesting is the development of a stop the war movement in Russia. Somehow I doubt they would bother reaching out to our own version.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    An advert has appeared on my Facebook page
    "Councils across the UK are consulting on proposals to implement censorship zones around abortion facilities that would even ban silent, internal prayer. Sign the petition to protect freedom of speech and of thought."
    I've not heard of anything about this; is it genuine? Seems unlikely!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Husband - watching the ceremony - is asking how one gets one of these Dressing-Up Jobs.

Since he's a barrister he has a Dressing Up Job already, complete with wig, so an odd question.

Interesting to see the ceremony: a combination of grandeur and the sorts of pedantic minute-taking seen in council offices.

Yes - I faced that issue at work yesterday (I am not a KC - just dealing with one). It sounds weird.
  • Options
    Russia seems to be in full retreat.

@christogrozev
    If the Russian army left Svatovo as this guy says on camera - and Svatovo is about 60 km from the nearest town taken over by Ukraine - this would be the first case of retreat long before even attempting to defend a long-held position. Something bigger must be brewing inside if so

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1568561436032483330
  • Options
    Leon said:

Trouble is 1 would be supremely unpopular in Russia, especially in his own elite circles, and it is not clear how 2 benefits Russia, other than sowing chaos and fear everywhere

3. Call for ceasefire and hope something turns up?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    Carnyx said:

biggles said:

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

On the subject of Ukraine, my personal view is that the one thing the Russians cannot afford is for thousands - or tens of thousands - of their troops to be captured.

Dead. Injured. These can be hidden, at least in the short term.

But captured troops in Ukraine is a massive problem. Because those troops can speak. And their mothers will agitate for their return.

If there are mass captures, then I think Putin's days are numbered.

You’ve been suggesting a possible Russian collapse for a couple of weeks. You made me sit up and read, and realise you could be right. So: chapeau
    As I recall various commentators were saying that the Russians had one more offensive of reserves left.

They were jeered at by the usual suspects.

The Russians had their offensive.

This is the Ukrainian counter offensive.

100 Days Offensive comes to mind…
    As the much maligned Haig said in January 1918, well in advance of Michael, 'the Germans would do well to hesitate before committing to a major offensive, for if it failed their position would be critical.'
    Germany probably had no choice but to roll the dice on last time. Austria Hungary and the Ottoman Empire were coming apart at the seams.
    The Haig the butcher stuff was a later invention. When he died, the crowds of veterans at his funeral were huge.

Kitchener and he turned out to be right - they both said it would take 3 years to raise, train and equip an army of the scale of the Germans. Then the Germans would be outnumbered and lose.
    Yes, the 60s “oh what a lovely war” and 80s Blackadder myth have gone on too long. People forget, or just don’t realise, that the First World War was a just war and one we won. We started unprepared but we always do.

Just reading Corrigan's Mud, Blood and Poppycock. Very much on that revisionist approach, though a little bit too much reminiscent of the British Army officer he was for his objectivity as a *historian* to be entirely convincing - even so, it's possible to allow for that. Rather interesting, though the Germans also evolved with their Stosstrupp tactics.
    Indeed the Schosstruppen approach is the pioneer of Blitzkreig, and similar to what the UKR have done in this offensive.

The Germans also developed their mobile defence tactics against us at the Somme.

There was a lot of military innovation during the war, and not just by us.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    Sean_F said:

The change from 1953 to 2022 is immense, of course. But from 1837 to 1901 it was pretty major too.

I'd say, vastly greater between 1837 and 1901. The UK was still rural and party medieval in 1837, but clearly modern and urban by 1901. Bar a few eccentrics, no one in the political world even believed in democracy in 1837. One of the things that most interests me about the Whig/Liberal reformers is how they self-consciously tried to portray their radical reforms as a return to medieval practice, which extended to their architecture, and the invented traditions for the monarchy.
    I was recently reading of a "public" school - I forget which one, one of the later C19 foundations. It being new, there was no complex rule structure - you know, the absurd stuff which prescribed things like a 2nd XI cricketer could have one fly button open, the 1st XI had two open, and the Captain of Cricket all the way. But the boys had been imported from other schools and together with the headmaster set up a new code. What really struck me was that 5 years later, with the natural turnover, these laws could have been handed down from King Alfred for all the nopw current population knew or realised. Some of the royalism evident at the moment has that same feel for very much the reasons you outline.
  • Options

Leon said:

3. Call for ceasefire and hope something turns up?
    Too late now.

This is a humiliation.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TBF all countries do silly pageantry. Look at the US and the certification of the votes of the EC.

Of course, these ceremonies remain important because without them things would not be legal.

They do, but we wear stockings and have fancy long trumpets and refer to neverweres and cannotbes. If Earth were to require of itself a nonsense, a beautiful, glorious nonsense we would say 'we've got this guys. Truly.'
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

That's why the grandeur - to make the dull procedure more memorable.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Suboptimal news for all the HPC fanbois out there: Vampire squid predicts crashes down under and canada, level in UK

FORTUNE
    @FortuneMagazine
    ·
    13h

👉New Zealand (-21%)
    👉Australia (-18%)
    👉Canada (-13%)

For comparison, the U.S. housing bubble saw home prices drop 27% between 2006 and 2012.
    Show this thread
    FORTUNE
    @FortuneMagazine
    ·
    13h
    3) Even though Goldman Sachs has Australia, Canada, and New Zealand in the housing crash (or almost crash) camp, it’s less pessimistic about other G10 countries:

👉France (-6%)
    👉 U.K. (remain the same)
    👉 U.S. (+1.8%)

Goldman Sachs research department has, of course, never been wrong.
    No, but nobody ever went broke betting against an imminent UK housing market crash

(Except for at least tens of thousands who did in the late 80s-early 90s but ignoring that...)
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, all our websites were changed and updated yesterday. It will take a bit of getting used to, I can tell you.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Sandpit said:

This one will keep Oryx Ukraine busy:

"With the continuous progress of the Ukrainian army in the Kharkiv region, the Ukrainian fighters stumbled upon a large warehouse that had previously been destroyed by "HIMARS" strikes, which was used by the Russian army to hide its vehicles."

https://twitter.com/alrakad_M/status/1568555770656051201

Nice one!

The Ukranian intelligence has been brilliant in this war - a combination of silly Russians with phones, lots of friendlies on the ground, and everything NATO can muster by air and satellite.
    In this age, a friendly with a single-use burner phone to give precise co-ordinates of where they've seen all these vehicles heading makes it pretty damned difficult to keep your kit secret.

One consequence of this rapid Ukrainian move forward is that a whole mass of Russian logistics they thought was safe is now firmly in HIMARS range. That makes it almost impossible to have a troop build up for a counter-counter attack. Or it will look like the above.

I said weeks ago that a Russian strategy based on long-range artillery demolishing, advancing, demolishing, advancing only works whilst ever you have the advantage of range. Once you have an enemy that can strike further than you - you is fooked.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592
    edited September 2022

Obbe is practically the metropolis compared to some. In the old days, the lighthousemen and the folk on St Kilda and Fair Isle were the most likely candidates, depending very much on time of year and timing of supply ships - ditto farmers on the high moors.

That breatharian lady who died near Cape Wrath would have been a good candidate if she were still around. Else, plenty of candidates in mental wards and dementia homes.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Driver said:

Bank Holiday for the funeral.

Are banks still a thing?
    Banks, yes. Branches? Not so much.
    I recently discovered that with the closure of my bank's branch in Exeter, the nearest to me in south Devon as the crow flies branch is now in Wales....
  • Options

There must be a huge row going on behind the scenes over the date of the funeral. A bank holiday has been declared which rules out Saturday. The for-gods-sake-get-it-over-with party are presumably campaigning for Friday while the we-need-an-extra-72-hours-to-get-ready party are holding out for Monday. Time is on their side.

It better not be this Friday.

I'm having my new iPhones delivered on Friday and if the funeral delays that then I'm going to start a riot.
  • Options
    In the NZ series the games were pretty hard fought, though England came through oddly easily in the end chases. In this series I guess not much contesting going on, whoever wins.
  • Options
    Major *Saddam Hussein casually strolling around the market as he loses the war* vibe in this strange video

https://twitter.com/marcofattorini/status/1568562323761119233?s=21&t=p8s_X0TUkFjpaomgeBRPeg

Also, what is wrong with Putin’s left arm? He rarely uses it, of late
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

That's why the grandeur - to make the dull procedure more memorable.
    They need to get new uniforms. Theirs all said ER still.

• Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

I don't understand the mentality of STWC, except that I think they start from a position that if the west support country A against country B then country B must be in the right. I think that's pretty much the extent of their analysis.
    The STWC mentality is that there are three evil countries in the world: the US, the UK and Israel. Any country supported by them is therefore in the wrong automatically, and any country opposed by them is to be lauded.
  • Options

Thats like the most Banal local news crap.
    Tonight, the regions fattest man meets the regions hairiest woman at the regions oldest pub

Plus, i hope plenty of responses were 'wait, the Queen died?'
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,201

Actually I think that this could be the point where Britain starts to deal with its deep seated problems, but with a greater mutual respect in the debate. We all accept that change is coming, the question is how to manage this process in a way that is to the benefit of all and which reinforces national strengths and reduces weaknesses. What we are witnessing with the accession of King Charles III could be very positive if we choose to make it so.

The likely defeat of the Conservatives is another step for them to renew themselves and for the country to try fresher ideas. Britain in 2030 might be a lot more at ease with itself than it is today. Certainly I for one was impressed by the way that the mass of people are behaving with great dignity and respect. The life and service of Elizabeth II has reminded us what the value of such things truly is.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,237

"Councils across the UK are consulting on proposals to implement censorship zones around abortion facilities that would even ban silent, internal prayer. Sign the petition to protect freedom of speech and of thought."

They are going to use the ASBO type legislation to stop various nasty shits trying to make life hell for women going in and out of abortion clinics. A No Demo Zone, rather like the ones used to make racist knuts not demonstrate outside mosques.

There is a small number of these American style shits. They deserve a shoeing, frankly.
  • Options

@christogrozev
    If the Russian army left Svatovo as this guy says on camera - and Svatovo is about 60 km from the nearest town taken over by Ukraine - this would be the first case of retreat long before even attempting to defend a long-held position. Something bigger must be brewing inside if so

There is precedent...

https://youtu.be/P4kQvkvGi9M

• Options

Banning silent internal prayer seems ambitious, anyway.
    You’d need the Thought Police.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

FFS, will somebody please explain to Stokes that when Broad calls for a review that’s a sign it’s not out?

In fairness I heard him ask, height? Poor review but an excellent position.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

Tonight, the regions fattest man meets the regions hairiest woman at the regions oldest pub

There was some poor little girl born on Coronation Day 1953 who was apparently called Coronatia!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

FORTUNE
    @FortuneMagazine
    ·
    13h

👉New Zealand (-21%)
    👉Australia (-18%)
    👉Canada (-13%)

Show this thread
    FORTUNE
    @FortuneMagazine
    ·
    13h

👉France (-6%)
    👉 U.K. (remain the same)
    👉 U.S. (+1.8%)

This would be a decent outcome for us - a period of house prices flat whilst other things go up. That's the medicine with sugar lumps.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Can't help but feel this Kharkiv offensive is just a reconnaissance-in-force that got out of hand.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,237
    Foxy said:

@christogrozev

There is precedent...

https://youtu.be/Ye9J4nQrz5s
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,373
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

FPT

Leon said:

@Nigelb its like the Tet Offensive in its use of partisan warfare/sabotage behind American lines, all synchronised superbly with an outright attack on the front

Tet came as a total shock to the USA, at a time when the Americans complacently thought the war was quietening down with no major moves

In many ways thereafter the Tet was a failure for Hanoi and the Yanks pushed the VC back quite easily

But Tet broke the American will to fight. It showed Americans at home the war was unwinnable and the North would never give up, and would endure any cost. From that moment Saigon 73 was inevitable

If you’ve not read it already, you might like ‘A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in Vietnam’ - superb - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bright_Shining_Lie

Won a Pulitzer.

Let’s hope the current Ukrainian operations become more Bagration than Tet.

I actually read that on my first trip to Vietnam

For me the best book about the war - and there are dozens of excellent examples - is Caputo’s “A Rumor of War”

https://www.amazon.com/Rumor-War-Classic-Vietnam-Anniversary/dp/1250117127
    Did you read "Kill Anything that Moves" ?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anything-Moves-American-Empire-Project/dp/1250045061

Catchy title. Up there with Sean McGlynn's 'Kill them all' about the Albigensian crusade (also the author of 'By Sword an Fire').
    It's a depressing read, but it gives a picture if the sheer scale of the slaughter in Vietnam.
    Its thesis - that My Lai was characteristic rather than an aberration - is disturbing.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Obbe is practically the metropolis compared to some. In the old days, the lighthousemen and the folk on St Kilda and Fair Isle were the most likely candidates, depending very much on time of year and timing of supply ships - ditto farmers on the high moors.

That breatharian lady who died near Cape Wrath would have been a good candidate if she were still around. Else, plenty of candidates in mental wards and dementia homes.
    I imagine there are tens of thousands of people in cities who live totally isolated lives, if they also eschew the media they may have been the last to know. Mind you if other cities are like Glasgow, the bus shelters emblazoned with portraits of queeny 1926-2022 would have been an almighty clue.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    edited September 2022
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Michael Atherton: "the authorities are desperate to not do the wrong thing."

Which is precisely why it should have been made clear to them well beforehand that they should carry on as normal unless there are specific practical issues.

It was clear beforehand in most London Bridge contingency plans that it would be a local decision. It was not a surprise to have the palace announce that.
    The palace didn't announce that. HMG did.
  • Options

There was some poor little girl born on Coronation Day 1953 who was apparently called Coronatia!
    I think there was more than one. One of them married a Mr. Street. (This was in one of those books of facts that you used to read on the toilet before smartphones. Such things had a moderately high, though not faultless, level of accuracy.)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Major *Saddam Hussein casually strolling around the market as he loses the war* vibe in this strange video

https://twitter.com/marcofattorini/status/1568562323761119233?s=21&t=p8s_X0TUkFjpaomgeBRPeg

Also, what is wrong with Putin’s left arm? He rarely uses it, of late

Looking fit and well to me.

(my little bit for Ukraine there)
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    I don't know if anyone can confirm that this is true?

'George V was the cousin of the executed Nicholas II, the last emperor of the Russian Empire. It turns out that Charles III, in a direct line from his great-grandfather, is the great-nephew of Nicholas II, that is, of the currently ruling monarchs, he is the only one who has absolutely legal rights to claim the crown of Russia, if one imagines that Russia, or some part of it, which has the right to succession from of the Russian Empire, would like to restore the monarchy and thus become one of the countries of the British Commonwealth of Nations.'
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Actually I think that this could be the point where Britain starts to deal with its deep seated problems, but with a greater mutual respect in the debate. We all accept that change is coming, the question is how to manage this process in a way that is to the benefit of all and which reinforces national strengths and reduces weaknesses. What we are witnessing with the accession of King Charles III could be very positive if we choose to make it so.

The likely defeat of the Conservatives is another step for them to renew themselves and for the country to try fresher ideas. Britain in 2030 might be a lot more at ease with itself than it is today. Certainly I for one was impressed by the way that the mass of people are behaving with great dignity and respect. The life and service of Elizabeth II has reminded us what the value of such things truly is.
    Mutual respect would be great. I rate it a very low probability. I hope i am proven a fool
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited September 2022

'George V was the cousin of the executed Nicholas II, the last emperor of the Russian Empire. It turns out that Charles III, in a direct line from his great-grandfather, is the great-nephew of Nicholas II, that is, of the currently ruling monarchs, he is the only one who has absolutely legal rights to claim the crown of Russia, if one imagines that Russia, or some part of it, which has the right to succession from of the Russian Empire, would like to restore the monarchy and thus become one of the countries of the British Commonwealth of Nations.'

I suspect there are stronger claimants among the list non-monarchs.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

FPT

Leon said:

@Nigelb its like the Tet Offensive in its use of partisan warfare/sabotage behind American lines, all synchronised superbly with an outright attack on the front

Tet came as a total shock to the USA, at a time when the Americans complacently thought the war was quietening down with no major moves

In many ways thereafter the Tet was a failure for Hanoi and the Yanks pushed the VC back quite easily

But Tet broke the American will to fight. It showed Americans at home the war was unwinnable and the North would never give up, and would endure any cost. From that moment Saigon 73 was inevitable

If you’ve not read it already, you might like ‘A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in Vietnam’ - superb - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bright_Shining_Lie

Won a Pulitzer.

For me the best book about the war - and there are dozens of excellent examples - is Caputo’s “A Rumor of War”

Catchy title. Up there with Sean McGlynn's 'Kill them all' about the Albigensian crusade (also the author of 'By Sword an Fire').
    It's a depressing read, but it gives a picture if the sheer scale of the slaughter in Vietnam.
    Its thesis - that My Lai was characteristic rather than an aberration - is disturbing.
    "Kill anything that moves" is indeed quite a read.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes - I faced that issue at work yesterday (I am not a KC - just dealing with one). It sounds weird.
    I'm afraid it comes mentally with "and the sunshine band". Not much to be done about that.
  • Options

No. There are living descendants of Nicholas’ grandfather who have a better claim, although they can’t decide among themselves who is the proper Pretender rather than the pretend Pretender.

• Options
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

Sounds like you understand it just fine.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

No. There are living descendants of Nicholas’ grandfather who have a better claim, although they can’t decide among themselves who is the proper Pretender rather than the pretend Pretender.

Yes, but how many of them have armies, navies and air forces?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, but how many of them have armies, navies and air forces?
    None, which I suppose is another point of resemblance to King Charles :trollface:

• Options
    Leon said:

Unfortunately this just makes me kinda proud

Some of those celebrating independence still share a head of state with us for crying out loud, it's not all hard feelings.
  • Options

Given that his great grandad specifically commanded that help should not be given to extract the Romanovs from Revolutionary Russia in case the Bolshevik contagion spread here, a dignified silence on the subject from the Windsors would probably be the best course,
  • Options
    Would have rather had a couple of overs from Stokes than Leach before lunch but I am being as greedy as a Ukranian infantryman here.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

I'm afraid it comes mentally with "and the sunshine band". Not much to be done about that.
    Well, I bet KC doesn't have scary dreams. Because she's just a piece of plastic.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

FPT

Leon said:

Won a Pulitzer.

I’ve read enough Vietnam War history to be pretty sure My Lai was not a unique aberration at all. The Yanks did horrendous shit in Nam
  • Options
    edited September 2022

There are 'non ruling' claimants well above KC3. Grand Duchess Maria for example (although the Pauline laws complicate). They'd get first dibs
  • Options
    Leon said:

Why do you hate people taking back control from their unelected rulers?

Are you a remoaner?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,910

Carnyx said:

I imagine there are tens of thousands of people in cities who live totally isolated lives, if they also eschew the media they may have been the last to know. Mind you if other cities are like Glasgow, the bus shelters emblazoned with portraits of queeny 1926-2022 would have been an almighty clue.
    I remember a few days after the first lockdown - guy posted to reddit asking 'Why are all the shops shut? Is it a bank holiday or something?'. Turned out he was unemployed, lived alone, didn't read the news because he found it depressing.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

FPT

Leon said:

Won a Pulitzer.

Sean McGlynn's argument (which I think is correct) that the popular depiction of medieval armies running out of control, when they pillaged territories and sacked cities, is wrong. Most of the time, these were brutal and effective military strategies, which were commanded from the top.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Some of those celebrating independence still share a head of state with us for crying out loud, it's not all hard feelings.
    I think secretly they all want us to rule them again. That’s the psychology at work here
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    edited September 2022

The first bit is true and the rest plausible, but I think there are still some living distant relatives of the Romanovs who claim the right to the Russian throne.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,801
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

Give it up?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

There is some Spanish woman who is a Romanov and claims to be rightful Empress of Russia. (Huzzah!)
  • Options

Leon said:

Are you a remoaner?
    Even as the child of immigrants I bet a bit of you is *secretly proud* of that map. It is disturbingly impressive
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I think secretly they all want us to rule them again. That’s the psychology at work here
    I'm still furious about finding out Malta wanted to be incorporated as part of the UK and we said no. Probably not the done thing for someone to suggest that again.
  • Options
    We should have done more work in South America tho. That’s the only bit we neglected. Maybe we could have formally annexed Argentina or something?

Otherwise, good job. Damn good job
  • Options
    Foxy said:

@christogrozev

There is precedent...

I think what they are doing is finding a line that they can reinforce and resupply to the required level and, unfortunately for them, that's a long way back given their loss of railway lines and supply depots around Izyum. Stopping a panicking rout, however, is one of the most difficult things in the military playbook.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

@christogrozev

There is precedent...

I think what they are doing is finding a line that they can reinforce and resupply to the required level and, unfortunately for them, that's a long way back given their loss of railway lines and supply depots around Izyum. Stopping a panicking rout, however, is one of the most difficult things in the military playbook.
    The Russian border might end up as the only option. They know the Ukes won’t cross

But what a humiliation for Putin
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

FPT

Leon said:

Won a Pulitzer.

Sean McGlynn's argument (which I think is correct) that the popular depiction of medieval armies running out of control, when they pillaged territories and sacked cities, is wrong. Most of the time, these were brutal and effective military strategies, which were commanded from the top.
    I think it is a pretty standard feature of war, full stop. Hence the ambiguity of the Johnny Mercer "yebbut we don't talk about that" job.
  • Options
    Leon said:

We should have done more work in South America tho. That’s the only bit we neglected. Maybe we could have formally annexed Argentina or something?

Otherwise, good job. Damn good job

When I was at Uni we did some stuff on 'Informal Empire', with it argued Argentina was effectively within our influence at that point. Not the same though.
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

@christogrozev

There is precedent...

The Russian border might end up as the only option. They know the Ukes won’t cross

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop, fearing resilient counter counter attack, but for the sake of Ukraine it's nice to believe for a bit.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I'm still furious about finding out Malta wanted to be incorporated as part of the UK and we said no. Probably not the done thing for someone to suggest that again.
    Incorporating Malta would have profoundly changed the national psychology of the UK in the second half of the 20th century.
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    HYUFD said:

Dynamo said:

Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

ping said:

FPT;

ping said:

Charles’s “kind” comments about Harry and Meghan need to be seen in the context of Harry’s book deal. The firm are terrified about it’s contents.

Thanks to events, they’ve got H&M pinned down. This is their one and only opportunity.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall!

If Charles was smart, he’d recognise that Liz’s disastrous “no half-in-half-out” policy was a major factor contributing to the current situation.
    Meghan and Harry's standing among the British people is not quite as bad as Prince Andrew's, but it's a long way below everyone else in the royal family. I don't think they are any sort of threat, however much insight they provide into the problems faced by titled multi-millionaires.
    I am far less worried about them than I was 2 years ago, when I think they did real political damage - particularly in the Carribean and amongst younger non-white Britons here.

But, they've shot their bolt now.
    Hmm. Arguably Harry identified the right question (what does the Spare Heir do once they're not needed any more?) and had a better answer than his uncles (get the hell out of Dodge and do something else with the rest of his life).

Which is not the answer that the tabloids wanted. And some of the fuckups on the way have been blown up into great evil as a result.
    He could have chosen to withdraw from public life and work hard for his charities and causes.

Instead, he (and his wife) has built his ‘career’ on criticising his own family - something which was quickly wearing off before the events of this week.
    You'll love Harry's book launch. Especially if it's at the Al Fayed place in Finland.

Why shouldn't a person criticise family members if they've treated them like absolute dirt? In real life, people do it all the time. Who TF does the king think he is?

I wonder whether Harry will be allowed to his grandmother's funeral.
    Of course he will, he went to Philip's
    I wouldn't be so sure of that.

"Prince Harry was told not to bring Meghan Markle with him when he flew up to see the Queen as she died."

"It is understood Harry was at Frogmore cottage in Windsor when Charles called to say he should not bring his wife.

The Sussexes had announced they would travel up to Balmoral together, without consulting royals, The Sun reported.

But a source told the paper: "Charles told Harry that it wasn't right or appropriate for Meghan to be in Balmoral at such a deeply sad time.

'It was pointed out to him that Kate was not going and that the numbers really should be limited to the very closest family. Charles made it very, very clear Meghan would not be welcome.' [...]

Harry was also refused a seat on the RAF plane that took up his brother William, now the Prince of Wales, as well as Prince Andrew and Prince Edward.
    "

• Options
    Driver said:

The first bit is true and the rest plausible, but I think there are still some living distant relatives of the Romanovs who claim the right to the Russian throne.
    There are direct descent claimants from Alexander 2nd and Nicholas 1st (including Philip and hence Charles)
    Grand Duchess Maria or Alexander Romanov are the main 2 mooted by imperialist russians
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

@christogrozev

There is precedent...

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop, fearing resilient counter counter attack, but for the sake of Ukraine it's nice to believe for a bit.
    What will be interesting to find out is if this has been part of a grand deception (including the US military briefing that it successfully convinced Ukraine to pare back it's offensive plans to just around Kherson) and how much of this is opportunistic.
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

@christogrozev

There is precedent...

Unless the Ukrainians use the route through Russia to get to Crimea:

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Are you a remoaner?
    Even as the child of immigrants I bet a bit of you is *secretly proud* of that map. It is disturbingly impressive
    Yes, really proud of things like the Bengal famine and the Jallianwala Bagh massacre.
This discussion has been closed.