Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will the delay in voting impact on the outcome? – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

For best pure pop songs, I nominate "Back of my hand" by The Jags:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElnoSARYjxs

Not quite Mmmbop, that that's a very good candidate. I'd quite forgotten it, yet it has that purity. Marred by a dismal guitar solo, but still, there is genius there

I'd like to nominate the entire oeuvre of Busted, who are seen as a joke but they wrote superb pop songs

There are several contenders, but this is perhaps their greatest work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAI1Onf2-Co
    Hahah. Bad late 90's music Leon is a new departure!

I'd say Year 3000 if it's called that was their best song. I have a soft spot for their Thunderbirds theme tune too.

Year 3000 is also a great pop song. But even better is Air Hostess

LOOK AT IT

"I messed my pants, as we flew over France"

Handsome young men, beautiful girls, punky attitudes, spiky hair, tiny skirts, humour, wit and pzazz, and an unabashed, guiltless sexuality. And everyone is having a laugh. What the fuck have we lost? How have we turned into this depressing, guilt-ridden, celibate sexlesss society soaked by Woke? It is a dreadful evolution, and the music is so much worse
    I'm not as nostalgic as you for the swinging late 90's. I totally get why you are though.

For me the early to mid 90's had better fashion and music for the most part.
    I do not disagree. That is an entirely sensible position to take

My argument is different: it is that we have lost all that guiltless, sexy, confident outlook on life. eg The confidence that, if you don't like the pop music right now, don't worry, another brilliant band will be along in a few months, with new fashions and new verve, and off we again, yayyyy

The production line of western creativity has stopped, and the death of good pop music - which was in ceaseless brilliant ferment since about 1955- is a crucial symptom of this. There is no Mmmbop of Today, there is no Busted making mad videos, there is no new Elvis. And this is not some sad old git lamenting lost youth (even if I am that) this is a very real Decline and Fall

Busted might have been the last really good British pop band, it's hard to think of one since, that has that innocent swagger. A music critic friend of mine says that Amy Winehouse was the last great popstar we will ever know, I used to dismiss this opinion as eccentric nostalgia; now I see his meaning
    You're just old.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

A music critic friend of mine says that Amy Winehouse was the last great popstar we will ever know, I used to dismiss this opinion as eccentric nostalgia; now I see his meaning

Blimey, he might be right.
    Why?

Every generation will throw new stars up.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

A music critic friend of mine says that Amy Winehouse was the last great popstar we will ever know, I used to dismiss this opinion as eccentric nostalgia; now I see his meaning

Why?

Well obviously at some point people stop paying attention to pop music, so "we will ever know" may technically be true depending on age, but come on, surely you've all heard of Ed Sheeran.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,462
    carnforth said:

1979 was arguably one of the best years ever for pop music.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Why?

Well obviously at some point people stop paying attention to pop music, so "we will ever know" may technically be true depending on age, but come on, surely you've all heard of Ed Sheeran.
    "great popstar"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

EPG said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

Why?

"great popstar"
    A lot better than Amy and she was good. Actually having a #1 single is a good start. Ask the average person under, like, 30. They rate Sheeran.
  • Options
    Come to think of it, it's probably the death of the British music press that did for the particular thread of stardom involving legend-building around people like Jarvis or Amy. But that was never the only thread, or even the main one for record buyers.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,922
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Not quite Mmmbop, that that's a very good candidate. I'd quite forgotten it, yet it has that purity. Marred by a dismal guitar solo, but still, there is genius there

I'd like to nominate the entire oeuvre of Busted, who are seen as a joke but they wrote superb pop songs

There are several contenders, but this is perhaps their greatest work:

Hahah. Bad late 90's music Leon is a new departure!

I'd say Year 3000 if it's called that was their best song. I have a soft spot for their Thunderbirds theme tune too.

Year 3000 is also a great pop song. But even better is Air Hostess

LOOK AT IT

"I messed my pants, as we flew over France"

Handsome young men, beautiful girls, punky attitudes, spiky hair, tiny skirts, humour, wit and pzazz, and an unabashed, guiltless sexuality. And everyone is having a laugh. What the fuck have we lost? How have we turned into this depressing, guilt-ridden, celibate sexlesss society soaked by Woke? It is a dreadful evolution, and the music is so much worse
    I'm not as nostalgic as you for the swinging late 90's. I totally get why you are though.

For me the early to mid 90's had better fashion and music for the most part.
    I do not disagree. That is an entirely sensible position to take

My argument is different: it is that we have lost all that guiltless, sexy, confident outlook on life. eg The confidence that, if you don't like the pop music right now, don't worry, another brilliant band will be along in a few months, with new fashions and new verve, and off we again, yayyyy

The production line of western creativity has stopped, and the death of good pop music - which was in ceaseless brilliant ferment since about 1955- is a crucial symptom of this. There is no Mmmbop of Today, there is no Busted making mad videos, there is no new Elvis. And this is not some sad old git lamenting lost youth (even if I am that) this is a very real Decline and Fall

Busted might have been the last really good British pop band, it's hard to think of one since, that has that innocent swagger. A music critic friend of mine says that Amy Winehouse was the last great popstar we will ever know, I used to dismiss this opinion as eccentric nostalgia; now I see his meaning
    George Ezra, Harry Styles, Mark Ronson, Florence and the Machine
    I was once on a Virgin flight with Florence, and it was her first time at the front of the plane and she was very excited. I spoke a little to her, and she seemed very pleasant and surprisingly shy.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Ed Sheeran better than Amy Winehouse. Heard it all now lol.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,977
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

OMFFFFFFGGGGGG

Has anyone else tried these pickles????

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/vadasz-garlic-dill-pickles/427621-707348-707349

Superb! My local M&S does them. Astonishingly good

They go perfectly in a Reuben sandwich
    I chucked some in a M&S pastrami deli sandwich. Jesus cockchafing Christ, It elevates a rather good sandwich into something SUBLIME
    "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain"

That's listed above murder, theft and adultery in the Bible.
    It’s not intended to be a prioritisation

• Options
    Cookie said:

DavidL said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:
    It's a fucking bonkers project.
    Well, yes.

But the idea of an entirely linear city is rather interesting: it means you can have just a couple of rail tracks running at different speeds, and can reach any point on it, very quickly.

Of course, it will probably be an enormous failure, but at least the Saudi government is spending their money on crazy vanity projects rather than funding Islamic terrorists.
    But all the travel from all of one half of the city to all of the other half of the city will have to go through the central point. That would require an insane throughput capacity, whereas, with a circular city you can have all sorts of point-to-point journeys that don't all have to go through the same pinch point.
    And how, exactly, are you planning on expanding your circular city?
    Up.
    It’s the only way.
    Is it?
    On transport: I've put some thought into this, and four tracks - two fast and two slow - would give a brilliant transport system.
    And everyone would have expansive, bucolic views without a view of anyone else.
    If you knocked down all the towns in the UK you could build about 20 North-South linear cities of 10-12 stories to accommodate the whole population. But once you start talking about more than one linear city the transport simplicity vanishes.
    Surely you just rank them by your place in the class system? Then you just need to worry about moving consumer goods from one end to the other?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

OMFFFFFFGGGGGG

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/vadasz-garlic-dill-pickles/427621-707348-707349

I chucked some in a M&S pastrami deli sandwich. Jesus cockchafing Christ, It elevates a rather good sandwich into something SUBLIME

Is it not? Reading the Bible, He seems narcissistic enough to put it ahead on purpose.
  • Options

Betfair next prime minister
    1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    11.5 Rishi Sunak 9%

Next Conservative leader
    1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    11.5 Rishi Sunak 9%

Before tonight's leadership debate (8pm Sky News and Youtube):-

1.1 Liz Truss 91%
    11 Rishi Sunak 9%

Next Conservative leader
    1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    11.5 Rishi Sunak 9%
    After Liz's section, nothing much has happened.

1.1 Liz Truss 91%
    10.5 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.1 Liz Truss 91%
    11 Rishi Sunak 9%
    Money landing for Rishi but remember the two markets!

1.1 Liz Truss 91%
    10 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.13 Liz Truss 88%
    6.6 Rishi Sunak 15%
    1.12 Liz Truss 89%
    8.8 Rishi Sunak 11%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9 Rishi Sunak 11%
    A few hours later and we have settled on:-

1.13 Liz Truss 88%
    8.4 Rishi Sunak 12%

Next Conservative leader
    1.13 Liz Truss 88%
    8.4 Rishi Sunak 12%
  • Options
    DynamoDynamo Posts: 651
    nico679 said:

NBC News
    @NBCNews
    ·
    1h
    BREAKING: Alex Jones ordered to pay $4.1 million to the family of a 6-year-old killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting for the suffering he caused them by spreading lies about the 2012 massacre, jury rules.

He really is vile . To attack the parents of children who were murdered is utterly disgusting .
    The conditioning that Alex Jones gives to his followers (and he's not alone in this) is reminiscent of the indoctrination by O'Brien in 1984: "Are you prepared to throw sulphuric acid in a child's face?" etc. Such an action is always wrong, and almost everybody knows it, but once a person says hell yeah, sure I'm prepared to do that for the Great Cause, they're screwed. The leader or whoever stands immediately above them in the cult's chain has the idiot's mind by its short and curlies from then on. They've gone through a barrier. There are many real events and changes in society that are brought about by "conspiracy", and many things that aren't noticed but stand right in front of the face and should be noticed, but once a person believes e.g. that this or that patently obviously real massacre was a "fake" staged by "crisis actors", their critical mind has gone... I've encountered one or two Jonesians and their belief system makes you want to vomit. It's good to see Jones taken down. Hopefully Trump will be some time in the not too distant future too.
  • Options
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

OMFFFFFFGGGGGG

Is it not? Reading the Bible, He seems narcissistic enough to put it ahead on purpose.
    I was meaning more in the sense of a checklist to work through…

But your point is interesting, albeit wrong. The Ten Commandments were instructions from God on how to order a functional human society. Or at least they weee given the authority of God in a monotheistic culture (I’m sure you can accept that even as a militant atheist)

If you are going to build your social structure around the authority of God the most fundamental building block is that authority should not be questioned. The second - in a patriarchal society - is to honour your father and mother.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Looks like Predictit may be getting shut down.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

OMFFFFFFGGGGGG

I was meaning more in the sense of a checklist to work through…

But your point is interesting, albeit wrong. The Ten Commandments were instructions from God on how to order a functional human society. Or at least they weee given the authority of God in a monotheistic culture (I’m sure you can accept that even as a militant atheist)

If you are going to build your social structure around the authority of God the most fundamental building block is that authority should not be questioned. The second - in a patriarchal society - is to honour your father and mother.
    As a militant atheist I feel the Commandments were invented by men who wanted to wield the authority of God, and it was certainly in their interests for that authority to be unquestioned. Whether it's in societies interests is another matter entirely.
  • Options
    ping said:

Looks like Predictit may be getting shut down.

The CFTC on 4 August 2022 announced that Victoria University has not operated its market in compliance with the terms of the letter and as a result it has withdrawn the no-action letter. The CFTC stated that to the extent that Victoria University is operating any contract market in a manner consistent with each of the terms and conditions provided in CFTC Letter 14-130, all related and remaining listed contracts and positions comprising all associated open interest in such market should be closed out and/or liquidated no later than 11:59 p.m. (EDT) on February 15, 2023.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PredictIt#Regulation
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    What the incentive for writing a good new song, when all of history’s music is available in perfect fidelity just two clicks away.

If we deleted the archive, we would have no choice but to create new songs once more. Half remembered tunes, morphing into new music.
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Dynamo said:

Is there any other country in the world where it's up to members of a political party to pick the leader of the government if the sitting one leaves mid-term?

China, France, Germany, India, Russia, USA - nope.

The nearest I can find is Japan, where LDP members account for half the votes if it's an LDP PM being replaced.

As for delaying the vote for security reasons, that wouldn't have happened if it was the state ensuring the integrity of the process in the first place rather than goodness knows who. Imagine if something serious were to happen while this farce is going on...

Yes:

Australia and Canada, for example. Anywhere with a Prime Minister selected by a Parliament who is head of the Executive.
    And party members now vote for the Conservative and Liberal leaders in Canada, the Labor leader in Australia and CDU and SPD leaders in Germany
    Not only is the leader of the CDU not elected by the membership, in neither party is the party leader necessarily the chancellor (candidate), nor is the chancellor candidate elected by the membership. Eg the current chancellor!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    kamski said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Dynamo said:

Is there any other country in the world where it's up to members of a political party to pick the leader of the government if the sitting one leaves mid-term?

China, France, Germany, India, Russia, USA - nope.

The nearest I can find is Japan, where LDP members account for half the votes if it's an LDP PM being replaced.

As for delaying the vote for security reasons, that wouldn't have happened if it was the state ensuring the integrity of the process in the first place rather than goodness knows who. Imagine if something serious were to happen while this farce is going on...

Yes:

Australia and Canada, for example. Anywhere with a Prime Minister selected by a Parliament who is head of the Executive.
    And party members now vote for the Conservative and Liberal leaders in Canada, the Labor leader in Australia and CDU and SPD leaders in Germany
    Not only is the leader of the CDU not elected by the membership, in neither party is the party leader necessarily the chancellor (candidate), nor is the chancellor candidate elected by the membership. Eg the current chancellor!
    Wrong. The leader of the CDU IS elected by the membership. As Merz was last year
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_2021_Christian_Democratic_Union_of_Germany_leadership_election

Merkel was also leader of the CDU as well as Chancellor candidate
This discussion has been closed.