Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will the delay in voting impact on the outcome? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,742

@Independent
    🚨 Breaking: Sir Keir Starmer found to have breached MPs’ code of conduct eight times

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1555271240172060672

Durham police really need to investigate this.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Burley coming across as a lightweight c..t.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Just had loooong afternoon drinks with a friend at Gordon's Wine Bar

Walked back through central London

Is this Bank England economic prediction for real? Really? It is extremely hard to reconcile these predictions of impending horror with the sense of a world city en fete, full of tourists, all spending money in the warm evening air. I'm not sure I have ever seen London so chocka and contented, and I am used to London. Perhaps you have to leave home for several months to get a perspective

Or is this Paris in 1940? Perhaps it is

Never eat from the Cheese Board in Gordon’s. Assuming they still have it post Covid. If you sit there long enough you can see the mice tuck in.
    lol, no, don't worry

I've been there enough times to sense the lack of hygiene. Isn't it 18th century or something? Nice outdoors on a warm summer's day, however

What struck me as it struck me a few weeks ago was the huge queue to get a table. Queues! From about 4pm on

London is thriving at the mo. Which is why I struggle to believe we will all soon be in an apocalyptic recession. But perhaps it is so

On Parkway in Camden I believe the last businesses premises vacated by the pandemic have now been filled

London will cope best with the recession because it has a resilient economy based around on Remainer oriented financial and cultural business. It is the wild lands of Leaverstan that will be knawing on their last frozen turnip in the frost.
    Frozen turnips you say?

Where is @malcolmg when one needs a professional opinion?
    Come to think of it, where is he? A quick check shows it has been a full month since he posted. Is he all right?
    Good question?

And have we heard of late from @Big_G_NorthWales ??
    Big G is on this very thread, isn't he?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited August 2022

@Independent
    🚨 Breaking: Sir Keir Starmer found to have breached MPs’ code of conduct eight times

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1555271240172060672

Durham police really need to investigate this.
    I like the way he publically says hes confident he hasnt breached any rules then grasses himself up for more rule breaches.
    Dodgy fella.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,186
    Sunak beats Truss in a show of hands. Wow!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Is this Bank England economic prediction for real? Really? It is extremely hard to reconcile these predictions of impending horror with the sense of a world city en fete, full of tourists, all spending money in the warm evening air. I'm not sure I have ever seen London so chocka and contented, and I am used to London. Perhaps you have to leave home for several months to get a perspective

The economy of the UK is not generally representatively sampled by what happens in central London.
    And the domestic holiday scene is booming this year. Probably a combination of unspent holiday money from 2020 & 21, a residual reluctance to go abroad, and the low £ making staying in the UK more attractive. And, this summer, the weather here isn’t as forbidding as the repeated heat waves inflicting the Med.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,340

Off topic (very!)
    Just been doing some pointless pondering over the remarkable career of Jimmy Anderson.
    When he debuted in 2003, Nasser Hussain was captain(!) And also in the side was Alec Stewart. Both debuted in Feb 1990 in the West Indies so Jimmy has a direct teammate link to the 1990 tour of the Windies (32 years ago). In that team was Graham Gooch who debuted in the Ashes series of 1975 so Jimmy is just one step from the Lillee, Thomson, David Steele fun and games 47 years ago and if you wamt to go one handshake further, the GOAT is just 2 steps from John Edrich's test debut in 1963 in a team featuring Dexter, Cowdrey, Titmus and Trueman.

I find that quite incredible!

He also met me in a bar once.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Dick Cheney speaks out against Trump:

“In our nation’s 246 year history there has never been an individual who is a greater threat to our Republic than Donald Trump.” Dick Cheney

https://twitter.com/Liz_Cheney/status/1555270027871338496

Oh come on.

I'm no fan of Trump, but what about George III, Jefferson Davis, Hitler, Stalin or Krushchev?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601

Rishi: "I won't pull out because I'm fighting for something I really believe in."

“Me being PM.”

Except he doesn’t, quite.
  • Options

biggles said:

BBC piss me off.

Apparently loads of sport going on but both BBC1 and BBC3 just have talking heads and interviews with members of the public.

Shut up. No-one cares. Cut to the sport.

Agree on all fronts. It’s not hard to do - it needs to be effectively Grandstand like the old days.
    I am watching the Commonwealth Games on the BBC. it has been mostly sport. No interviews with the public. A bit of talking heads between events. You’ll complaining about some fantasy, not the reality.
    What I posted was entirely accurate when I posted it. My wife and I switched off after nearly 10 minutes of it.

You simply reflexively defended the BBC because you perceived an attack on it from "The Right", and that's the only level at which your puny brain can engage.
    I’m watching too. Much of the sport is not live, it’s recent “as live” footage. You can tell by comparing with live text. Just show it ALL as live BBC and jump around from event to event.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,180
    OMFFFFFFGGGGGG

Has anyone else tried these pickles????

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/vadasz-garlic-dill-pickles/427621-707348-707349

Superb! My local M&S does them. Astonishingly good
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    edited August 2022
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

The economy of the UK is not generally representatively sampled by what happens in central London.
    I hear you but I am old enough to remember the deep recessions of the 80s 90s and noughties, and they were all detectable beforehand in central London. The anxiety comes first

This feels very different. London (and it's not just central London) is in pandemic recovery mode, and everybody is simply glad to be out, and they are spending freely and eagerly, or so it seems. There is data to back this up: Covid means a lot of people have saved money for two years, and now they want to enjoy life, and fuck the future

I wonder if this post-plague hedonism might avert the recession. People want to SPEND before they die
    I get that, and I see it too.
    Even from my poverty stricken NE vantage. People desperately want to have a good time. And quite a few did pretty well out of the pandemic, too.
    I also sense an "edge" to everything. My bus was stopped the other day by a fifty or so strong crowd outside a pub in Bedlington. Rolling fist fights in the road . And road traffic is noticeably down outside rush hour. Shops aren't being let up here. Away from the usual busy spots (which seem super busy) the more day-to-day places and off track pubs are empty.
    The private sector vacancies have anecdotally fallen off a cliff in the past month or so too.
  • Options
    MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 156
    Leon said:

OMFFFFFFGGGGGG

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/vadasz-garlic-dill-pickles/427621-707348-707349

They go perfectly in a Reuben sandwich
  • Options

Betfair next prime minister
    1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    11.5 Rishi Sunak 9%

Next Conservative leader
    1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    11.5 Rishi Sunak 9%

Before tonight's leadership debate (8pm Sky News and Youtube):-

1.1 Liz Truss 91%
    11 Rishi Sunak 9%

Next Conservative leader
    1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    11.5 Rishi Sunak 9%
    After Liz's section, nothing much has happened.

1.1 Liz Truss 91%
    10.5 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.1 Liz Truss 91%
    11 Rishi Sunak 9%
    Money landing for Rishi but remember the two markets!

1.1 Liz Truss 91%
    10 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.13 Liz Truss 88%
    6.6 Rishi Sunak 15%
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

And the domestic holiday scene is booming this year. Probably a combination of unspent holiday money from 2020 & 21, a residual reluctance to go abroad, and the low £ making staying in the UK more attractive. And, this summer, the weather here isn’t as forbidding as the repeated heat waves inflicting the Med.
    Not in D n C it isn't, all the airbnbers I know saying things is badly down
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Burley is a legend in her own lunchtime. Cf her being eviscerated by Mick lynch and trying to present it later on twitter as him being embarrassed by her.

So Liz was taken apart by someone who got taken apart by a lefty union boss ?
    Not exactly the second coming of Mrs.T.
  • Options

The day the polls turned
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

I hear you but I am old enough to remember the deep recessions of the 80s 90s and noughties, and they were all detectable beforehand in central London. The anxiety comes first

This feels very different. London (and it's not just central London) is in pandemic recovery mode, and everybody is simply glad to be out, and they are spending freely and eagerly, or so it seems. There is data to back this up: Covid means a lot of people have saved money for two years, and now they want to enjoy life, and fuck the future

I wonder if this post-plague hedonism might avert the recession. People want to SPEND before they die
    With inflation of between 10-18%, choose your number, and interest rates of 1-2%, even an economist would be able to tell you that this set up encourages spending rather than saving.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Never eat from the Cheese Board in Gordon’s. Assuming they still have it post Covid. If you sit there long enough you can see the mice tuck in.
    lol, no, don't worry

I've been there enough times to sense the lack of hygiene. Isn't it 18th century or something? Nice outdoors on a warm summer's day, however

What struck me as it struck me a few weeks ago was the huge queue to get a table. Queues! From about 4pm on

London is thriving at the mo. Which is why I struggle to believe we will all soon be in an apocalyptic recession. But perhaps it is so

On Parkway in Camden I believe the last businesses premises vacated by the pandemic have now been filled

London will cope best with the recession because it has a resilient economy based around on Remainer oriented financial and cultural business. It is the wild lands of Leaverstan that will be knawing on their last frozen turnip in the frost.
    Frozen turnips you say?

Come to think of it, where is he? A quick check shows it has been a full month since he posted. Is he all right?
    What became of Moon rabbit? I miss her declaring President Melenchon and that Penny Mordaunt has won a majority at the next election already.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

lol, no, don't worry

Frozen turnips you say?

Good question?

Yeah big G is good except covided
  • Options

“In our nation’s 246 year history there has never been an individual who is a greater threat to our Republic than Donald Trump.” Dick Cheney

Jefferson Davis is banging his coffin lid in frustration.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,382
    edited August 2022

Leon said:

OMFFFFFFGGGGGG

Sounds dangerously American. House ate Reubens in House iirc, and he's American.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    CatMan said:

@heimbergecon
    The oil price (Crude oil WTI) has dropped below $90 per barrel for the first time since the start of the war in Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/heimbergecon/status/1555220791335288833

Natural Gas still insanely high though
    The fundamental problem is a lack of LNG capacity - particularly in terms of shipping.
  • Options
    I find my integrity gets in the way of following rules too, so i sympathise with Keir. The poor lamb.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Oh come on.

I'm no fan of Trump, but what about George III, Jefferson Davis, Hitler, Stalin or Krushchev?
    George III wasn’t much of a threat; he birthed it.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

lol, no, don't worry

Frozen turnips you say?

What became of Moon rabbit? I miss her declaring President Melenchon and that Penny Mordaunt has won a majority at the next election already.
    She got banned. I wish I knew why!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

With inflation of between 10-18%, choose your number, and interest rates of 1-2%, even an economist would be able to tell you that this set up encourages spending rather than saving.
    I think we are about to become (if we haven’t already) two nations. Those of us who, to varying degrees, can absorb the price increases and think “fuck it, no sense saving, I’ll enjoy myself and also get the roof done - where’s my 18 year Dalmore” and those who must choose between heating and eating.

That is not a happy combination for social cohesion.

• Options

1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    11.5 Rishi Sunak 9%

Next Conservative leader
    1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    11.5 Rishi Sunak 9%

Before tonight's leadership debate (8pm Sky News and Youtube):-

1.1 Liz Truss 91%
    11 Rishi Sunak 9%

Next Conservative leader
    1.09 Liz Truss 92%
    11.5 Rishi Sunak 9%
    After Liz's section, nothing much has happened.

1.1 Liz Truss 91%
    10.5 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.1 Liz Truss 91%
    11 Rishi Sunak 9%
    Money landing for Rishi but remember the two markets!

1.1 Liz Truss 91%
    10 Rishi Sunak 10%

Next Conservative leader
    1.13 Liz Truss 88%
    6.6 Rishi Sunak 15%
    1.12 Liz Truss 89%
    8.8 Rishi Sunak 11%

Next Conservative leader
    1.11 Liz Truss 90%
    9 Rishi Sunak 11%
  • Options

Leon said:

OMFFFFFFGGGGGG

I chucked some in a M&S pastrami deli sandwich. Jesus cockchafing Christ, It elevates a rather good sandwich into something SUBLIME
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,248
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:
    It's a fucking bonkers project.
    Well, yes.

But the idea of an entirely linear city is rather interesting: it means you can have just a couple of rail tracks running at different speeds, and can reach any point on it, very quickly.

Of course, it will probably be an enormous failure, but at least the Saudi government is spending their money on crazy vanity projects rather than funding Islamic terrorists.
    But all the travel from all of one half of the city to all of the other half of the city will have to go through the central point. That would require an insane throughput capacity, whereas, with a circular city you can have all sorts of point-to-point journeys that don't all have to go through the same pinch point.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    @MoonRabbit

Just doing that to create link

ETA banned

BRING HER BACK
  • Options
    CatMan said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

lol, no, don't worry

Frozen turnips you say?

She got banned. I wish I knew why!
    Oh really?
    Can't imagine what for?
  • Options
    Keir could really stick it to Boris for being on holiday when the gloomy figures for 2023's economic prospects are released, get him an interview!
    He's where?
    Till when?
    August 15th?
    FFS
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

OMFFFFFFGGGGGG

I chucked some in a M&S pastrami deli sandwich. Jesus cockchafing Christ, It elevates a rather good sandwich into something SUBLIME
    Make your own salt beef (though to be fair you live in London so just buy it from the bagel shop on Brick Lane) and get some decent bread , a proper mustard, and grated, aged Comte. Then add them.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well, yes.

But the idea of an entirely linear city is rather interesting: it means you can have just a couple of rail tracks running at different speeds, and can reach any point on it, very quickly.

Of course, it will probably be an enormous failure, but at least the Saudi government is spending their money on crazy vanity projects rather than funding Islamic terrorists.
    But all the travel from all of one half of the city to all of the other half of the city will have to go through the central point. That would require an insane throughput capacity, whereas, with a circular city you can have all sorts of point-to-point journeys that don't all have to go through the same pinch point.
    And for God’s sake don’t let any of our train companies run the mass transit.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Oh come on.

External threats are lesser, because the country can unite against them. And Jefferson Davis was fighting a losing battle. Trump is dangerous because he divides the country, and he turns it against the very idea of itself, as a product of the Enlightenment.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Starmer GUILTY of breaching MPs code of conduct but gets slap on the wrist because he didnt mean to be naughty on 8 separate occasions
    https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1555277987863478274?t=0KlpCM4qGkyeJ2wl0OR3HQ&s=19

The number of MPs, including party leaders, on all sides who have been caught out not updating the register of interests in a timely manner suggests there might be a systemic problem with administration of the register.

Or it might be that some are deliberately hiding interests. Both could be true.
    I agree.
    However it is a highly amusing failure of the Integritron. 8 times. Feckin chancer
    This is the same guy who has just shamelessly ditched all the pledges he ran on to become the leader of his party. Not just one or two, but all of them. And with an excuse so absurd it's insulting to the intelligence.

The only surprise is that anybody's surprised.
    "Starmer received an £18,450 advance from publisher HarperCollins in April for a book he is writing, in which he is expected to set out his vision for Britain.

The sum – which he has pledged to donate to charitable causes – was declared a day late, while declarations of royalties for two legal books published before he became an MP were also delayed.

Starmer also received use of a directors’ box for two people at Crystal Palace football club – worth £720 – when the team thrashed the club he supports, Arsenal, 3-0 on 4 April. It was not registered until 5 May.

He received four tickets for Watford v Arsenal, worth a total of £1,416, for their 6 March match. The gift was registered on 6 May.

Just Eat also gave tickets to his staff for the Taste of London festival and the British Kebab awards. The donations from the company exceeded the £300 limit for registration on 29 October but were not declared until 23 December."

Bloody hell, did he also eat the last slice of pie when no one was watching? The horror!

So much worse than bunging multi-million pound government contracts to your mate from the pub.

You'd be complaining all night if Boris had done that.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    Nigelb said:

Fishing said:

Oh come on.

I don't think the last 3 were either unless you count destruction of the world in the case of the last 2.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Trump is dangerous. Cheney is right I fear.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Starmer GUILTY of breaching MPs code of conduct but gets slap on the wrist because he didnt mean to be naughty on 8 separate occasions
    https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1555277987863478274?t=0KlpCM4qGkyeJ2wl0OR3HQ&s=19

The number of MPs, including party leaders, on all sides who have been caught out not updating the register of interests in a timely manner suggests there might be a systemic problem with administration of the register.

I agree.
    However it is a highly amusing failure of the Integritron. 8 times. Feckin chancer
    This is the same guy who has just shamelessly ditched all the pledges he ran on to become the leader of his party. Not just one or two, but all of them. And with an excuse so absurd it's insulting to the intelligence.

"Starmer received an £18,450 advance from publisher HarperCollins in April for a book he is writing, in which he is expected to set out his vision for Britain.

The sum – which he has pledged to donate to charitable causes – was declared a day late, while declarations of royalties for two legal books published before he became an MP were also delayed.

Starmer also received use of a directors’ box for two people at Crystal Palace football club – worth £720 – when the team thrashed the club he supports, Arsenal, 3-0 on 4 April. It was not registered until 5 May.

He received four tickets for Watford v Arsenal, worth a total of £1,416, for their 6 March match. The gift was registered on 6 May.

Just Eat also gave tickets to his staff for the Taste of London festival and the British Kebab awards. The donations from the company exceeded the £300 limit for registration on 29 October but were not declared until 23 December."

Bloody hell, did he also eat the last slice of pie when no one was watching? The horror!

So much worse than bunging multi-million pound government contracts to your mate from the pub.

No. This is so weak it makes Theresa May’s dash through the cornfields look wicked.

Starmer’s issue is that he is plodding, not venal.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well, yes.

And how, exactly, are you planning on expanding your circular city?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Nigelb said:

Fishing said:

Oh come on.

I don't think the last 3 were either unless you count destruction of the world in the case of the last 2.
    On balance I do think destruction of the planet constitutes a threat to the Republic, yes.

• Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209
    Foxy said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

I wonder if it's a reflection on Starmer or the ailing publishing industry that the advance is so low...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,294
    IshmaelZ said:

The day the polls turned
    My MiL, 86 and gently dottled is convinced that Rishi won. She’s old Labour. Christian socialist really. Probably not the key audience.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well, yes.

Up.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,007
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well, yes.

Ever decreasing circles?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,382
    edited August 2022
    Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

Boris did do that. For instance:-

[Boris] was three months late in registering joint ownership of a property in London in 2017, and 11 months late registering his shared interest in a property in Somerset in 2019.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-downing-street-ministerial-code-b1838492.html
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,927
    Jonathan said:

I remember watching the film “Vice” re Cheney - I think it was supposed to be a critique of him but I came away thinking he was actually quite a top man. Maybe I have moral issues but had a lot of time for him after.
  • Options
    This Truss interview remains a classic - the first cringe-worthy minute, and then the classic exchange from 6 mins in:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/eddie-mair/eddie-mair-grills-liz-truss-over-austerity-brexit/
  • Options
    boulay said:

Jonathan said:

I remember watching the film “Vice” re Cheney - I think it was supposed to be a critique of him but I came away thinking he was actually quite a top man. Maybe I have moral issues but had a lot of time for him after.
    I agree. I thought that he came out of that film really well.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well, yes.

By a circular city I meant a city like London, which is shaped roughly like a circle. So a filled-in circle. Perhaps disc-shaped would be better. Or I could have just said, a "normal" city.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,736

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well, yes.

Greater London would wave hello if it weren't so constipated.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I couldn’t get a ticket for Watford away. The least Starmer could have done is got me a ticket.
  • Options
    biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well, yes.

Up.
    It’s the only way.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well, yes.

“Round like a circle in a spiral, like a wheel within a wheel
    Never ending or beginning on an ever spinning reel…”
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well, yes.

Greater London would wave hello if it weren't so constipated.
    Travelling around Greater London by public transport is insanely easy. One of the best things about the city.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    boulay said:

Jonathan said:

I only saw that film recently. I thought it was a miss from Adam McKay, though excellent from Christian Bale.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,736

Foxy said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

lol, no, don't worry

Frozen turnips you say?

I do hope so.
  • Options

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

No. This is so weak it makes Theresa May’s
    dash through the cornfields look wicked.

He’s not venal. Disorganised and slightly incompetent perhaps but not venal.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

OMFFFFFFGGGGGG

"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain"

That's listed above murder, theft and adultery in the Bible.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

lol, no, don't worry

Frozen turnips you say?

Good question?

Big G is on this very thread, isn't he?
    Yes and my wife and I are 7 days into a nasty bout of covid following our two weeks in Scotland so not too switched on to the politics, but I did smile when Sky's technology failed and Burley had to do a hand count though I am not surprised Sunak won the night but is it too late ?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    dixiedean said:

Oh really?
    Can't imagine what for?

Yes, I know! Unless OGH or one of his minions tells us, we can only speculate. I think there was a suspicion that she wasn't all she appeared to be, but that doesn't seem to be enough to be permanently banned to me.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    DavidL said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

No. This is so weak it makes Theresa May’s
    dash through the cornfields look wicked.

He’s not venal. Disorganised and slightly incompetent perhaps but not venal.
    Yeah but if youre going to trade off of your unusually massive self declared integrity its best not to breach probity rules eight times, especially when some of those breaches only come to light once you're already under investigation.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    IanB2 said:

This Truss interview remains a classic - the first cringe-worthy minute, and then the classic exchange from 6 mins in:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/eddie-mair/eddie-mair-grills-liz-truss-over-austerity-brexit/

There's something about her that really doesn't appeal to me. I think it's that rather grating smugness/chumminess she exudes.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,631
    biggles said:

kjh said:

Nigelb said:

Fishing said:

Oh come on.

On balance I do think destruction of the planet constitutes a threat to the Republic, yes.

😃 Well yes, but the ramifications are rather wider. In that case we should add an asteroid to the list as well. I think most people would interpret it as specifically to the Republic, in which case I think only Jefferson Davis is on a par or ahead of Trump
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,386
    DavidL said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well, yes.

Up.
    It’s the only way.
    Is it?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Is it inappropriate to like cheesy 90s pop like mmmbop by Hanson?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    Complete comedy from the BoE.

Their actions don't even make sense given their delusions.

It's not so hard though. Inflation will decline around the end of the year, and there (probably) won't be a recession.

The stupid nonsense that is their interest rate policy isn't even worth a comment.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,204
    Trump does just about clear the Hitler bar, I suppose.
  • Options

DavidL said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well, yes.

Up.
    It’s the only way.
    Is it?
    Certainly for inflation, gas and interest rates.

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,504
    After the latest updates, the two anti-Trump members of Congress from Washington state, Jaime Herrera Beutler and Dan Newhouse, are still in the top two -- and their Trump-endorsed opponents, Joe Kent and Loren Culp, aren't. (Kent and Culp can, of course, stay in the race as write-in candidates, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Trump encouraged them to do so. Without, of course, putting much of his own money into their efforts.)

As of now, I would say that Newhouse is a at least a 2-1 favorite to win re-election this November, and Beutler is about even odds. (Newhouse's 4th district is signfiicantly more Republican than Beutler's 3rd district.)

source: https://results.vote.wa.gov/results/20220802/federal-all.html
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well, yes.

Up.
    It’s the only way.
    Is it?
    Certainly for inflation, gas and interest rates.

If the options are "The only way is up" and "The only way is Essex", I'd go with up.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Bitter and twisted, perhaps. But she’s not wrong.

https://twitter.com/Anna_Soubry/status/1555262641442095104
    Come the next Gen Election remember today - the day the Bank of England announced our country is the worst economic crisis in our lifetime & both the PM & Chancellor are on holiday
    Whoever leads the #Conservatives it is no longer fit for office.
    Time for change.

Things could be much worse. Either of them could have been in the office and tried to do something.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

I agree.

Nah, I wouldn't. I am no fan of Starmer, indeed think he should be replaced by Nandy or Rayner, but those are pathetic "goody two shoes" misdemeanors.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,447

DavidL said:

biggles said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:
    Well, yes.

Up.
    It’s the only way.
    Is it?
    On transport: I've put some thought into this, and four tracks - two fast and two slow - would give a brilliant transport system.
    And everyone would have expansive, bucolic views without a view of anyone else.
    If you knocked down all the towns in the UK you could build about 20 North-South linear cities of 10-12 stories to accommodate the whole population. But once you start talking about more than one linear city the transport simplicity vanishes.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Come the next Gen Election remember today - the day the Bank of England announced our country is the worst economic crisis in our lifetime & both the PM & Chancellor are on holiday
    Time for change.

Hopefully Labour will soon put them out of our misery.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Time for change.

She is wrong. The BofE are projecting into the next 2 years and beyond not things that will happen this week.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,447
    I ended up cashing out my old Truss bet.
    Technically, I could have done better by betting in Rishi and waiting, but I want the hard cash in my clammy hand NOW; I also got nervous about a black swan event where neither of them win.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Nigelb said:

Time for change.

Hopefully Labour will soon put them out of our misery.
    Not till August 15th when Keir is back from holiday though
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

No. Mmmmbop is one of the best pop songs ever written
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Jonathan said:

No, music, even cheesy music, is a great stimulus to memory, like the taste of Proust's Madelaine. That song means nothing to me, but some equally cheesy eighties stuff brings back bittersweet memories of teenage romantic dalliances for me.

I can't listen to Black Box Ride on Time without being transported back to Christchurch NZ in 1990, drinking warm Speights beer from stubbies and dancing the night away in the Ranui social club.

It means nothing without those memories.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Complete comedy from the BoE.

Their actions don't even make sense given their delusions.

It's not so hard though. Inflation will decline around the end of the year, and there (probably) won't be a recession.

The stupid nonsense that is their interest rate policy isn't even worth a comment.

I think it will be next year before inflation peaks. I do think that we will have a recession but probably a mild one, certainly nowhere near as bad as they are forecasting and interest rates are way too low and have been for at least 2 years.

To misquote Ronald Reagan a recession is when your neighbour loses their job, a depression is when you lose yours and a recovery is when Bailey loses his.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Well, I'll raise you the Spice Girls & B*Witched....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

No, music, even cheesy music, is a great stimulus to memory, like the taste of Proust's Madelaine. That song means nothing to me, but some equally cheesy eighties stuff brings back bittersweet memories of teenage romantic dalliances for me.
    No! mmmbop is literally and technically a brilliant 3 minute pop song. It is wat way more than "cheesy music"

Do not diss the perfect 3 minute pop song. They are not easy to do. If they were easy to do everyone would do them and we would be flooded with them. And yet, we are not. Indeed we have a dearth
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Thanks.

I miss the optimism of the 90s. The closest I got to experiencing that recently was in India. How do we get our mojo back?

This BoE announcement is not good. The pessimism in our political class is toxic.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,504
    Turnout in our Washington state primary was poor. According to the Secretary of State's estimate, it will be less than 37 percent when all the ballots are counted. (Almost 3/4 of the ballots have been counted, so far -- and a few haven't even been received.)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

OMFFFFFFGGGGGG

"Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain"

That's listed above murder, theft and adultery in the Bible.
    He'll get to them later then. The night is but young.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    Nigelb said:

Time for change.

Time for ChangeUK?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,614
    Fishing said:

Oh come on.

It is demonstrably true that the Republic survived all of those. It is still unknown whether it will survive Trump.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

dixiedean said:

Oh really?
    Can't imagine what for?

Yes, I know! Unless OGH or one of his minions tells us, we can only speculate. I think there was a suspicion that she wasn't all she appeared to be, but that doesn't seem to be enough to be permanently banned to me.
    Well. She was persistently pro-Tory for a LD. But. If not being exactly what we appeared to be were a disqualification....
    We need more women on the site. Younger voices too. What became of @The_Apocalypse for example?
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Thanks.

I miss the optimism of the 90s. The closest I got to experiencing that recently was in India. How do we get our mojo back?

This BoE announcement is not good. The pessimism in our political class is toxic.
    The one thing that Johnson could do was optimism. It was all ludicrous bullshit, but at the end of the day people need a reason to believe that tommorow will be a better day.

It's why Starmer won't win with his "Tory policy, but with a pained expression" manifesto. People don't want that. They want snake oil, like Truss is selling.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Leon said:

Leon said:

OMFFFFFFGGGGGG

They are delicious. The other Vadasz offerings (kimchi and sauerkraut) are top-notch too.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

CatMan said:

dixiedean said:

Oh really?
    Can't imagine what for?

Well. She was persistently pro-Tory for a LD. But. If not being exactly what we appeared to be were a disqualification....
    We need more women on the site. Younger voices too. What became of @The_Apocalypse for example?
    Brexit obviously 🙄
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Thanks.

The one thing that Johnson could do was optimism. It was all ludicrous bullshit, but at the end of the day people need a reason to believe that tommorow will be a better day.

It's why Starmer won't win with his "Tory policy, but with a pained expression" policy. People don't want that. They want snake oil, like Truss is selling.
    We need a political leader who does optimism, but instead of marrying that with bullshit promises and lies can do the hard work and thinking required to deliver it. An FDR.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jonathan said:

Indeed. The fact that the mere mention has everyone hearing the chorus. Not a soul going what? Who? (Unless you're very very young).
    That's the sign of great pop music.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

OMFFFFFFGGGGGG

They are delicious. The other Vadasz offerings (kimchi and sauerkraut) are top-notch too.
    Proper live sauerkraut it is too.

The Kimchi is OK, but not a patch on the stuff a Korean friend brought me from a deli in Kingston.
This discussion has been closed.