Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Will the delay in voting impact on the outcome? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

kyf_100 said:

RIP Tories. No chance they win an election with a recession

It would be fairly easy for Truss to win a snap election on a platform of, say, a temporary reduction in / suspension of fuel duty along with a temporary nationalisation of the UK gas supply with prices set at 2021 levels.

Too expensive? How many billions did we spend on lockdowns, furlough, dodgy PPE and eat out to help out?

The next election will be won on who has the best answers to the cost of living crisis. At the moment, I'm not sure that Labour are proposing anything better than the Conservatives.
    I would hope Rachel Reeves has an economic programme in her back pocket in the event of a snap election.

There are so many Conservatives on here who are clinging to the hope that the economic catastrophe unfolding can be blamed on circumstances. I am unsure that it can. The incumbent is deemed responsible when one can't heat the home or put food on the table.

But chin-up, there are two and a half years left for something to turn up.
    You're absolutely right, in that the party in power gets the blame for the economy.

However there is a narrative here. New PM, new broom, snap election in October. Message is "we hear you" on cost of living crisis -- cuts to fuel duty, nationalisation of gas supply, temporary cut in VAT etc.

The onus would then be on Labour to see what their response would be.

I do think the Conservatives' best chance of winning is to go for a snap election now on such a platform. No matter what policies are implemented to try to mitigate the crisis, the next couple of years are going to be horrific for most people's standard of living, so it may be the case they lose now by a little or cling on a little while longer and end up out of power for a generation.

If I were Truss, I would be looking to go for a snap election this year. Might even stick a few quid on it. Current odds of 13/1 are quite tempting.
    The thing is she doesn't need an election to implement those policies. She can just do it.

So I think the voters might wonder about why she's holding the election, and realise that if she's misleading them they have to wait five years before they get another chance to turf them out.

I think that's one reason the election in 2017 went badly. It looked opportunistic rather than necessary. The same would be true now.
    As I say above, no matter what policies are introduced to mitigate the cost of living crisis (short of full on, free owls for all, blank cheque helicopter stimulus money), it's still going to be pretty horrific.

So no, she doesn't need an election to implement a fuel duty cut / gas nationalisation / etc plan, but she'll get a poll boost for doing so and could win an election off the back of it. New PM seeking renewed mandate doesn't feel opportunistic to me.

As Horse says, it will be hard to win an election after five successive quarters of recession. So better to go to the country now - it's probably her best window of opportunity.
    Earlier this year it was rumoured Boris was considering a 2023 election. If so, CCHQ presumably has some sort of early election blueprint in its filing cabinet.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,867
    I have circled the latest possible point the Tories can call a General Election. Looks pretty rough. https://twitter.com/AllegraStratton/status/1555230625560395776 https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1555231473950724097/photo/1
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

About those woke teachers...

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1555157122958123010
    FL civics teachers are speaking out after attending DeSantis’s new mandatory 3-day ‘patriotic history’ indoctrination seminars. One example they cited was that students would be told Washington & Jefferson opposed slavery, while omitting the fact that they owned them.

This is an interesting account of Jefferson, about whom I know very little. It comments on another attempt to sanitise history books for children:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-dark-side-of-thomas-jefferson-35976004/

'Weaving slavery into a narrative about Thomas Jefferson usually presents a challenge to authors, but one writer managed to spin this vicious attack and terrible punishment of a nailery boy into a charming plantation tale. In a 1941 biography of Jefferson for “young adults” (ages 12 to 16) the author wrote: “In this beehive of industry no discord or revilings found entrance: there were no signs of discontent on the black shining faces as they worked under the direction of their master....The women sang at their tasks and the children old enough to work made nails leisurely, not too overworked for a prank now and then.”

It might seem unfair to mock the misconceptions and sappy prose of “a simpler era,” except that this book, The Way of an Eagle, and hundreds like it, shaped the attitudes of generations of readers about slavery and African-Americans. Time magazine chose it as one of the “important books” of 1941 in the children’s literature category, and it gained a second life in America’s libraries when it was reprinted in 1961 as Thomas Jefferson: Fighter for Freedom and Human Rights.'

At least the 1940s book admitted that J owned slaves ... but perhaps the modern reluctance to admit it points to a greater understanding of guilt.
    Jefferson has been argued over by US historians pretty well since his death.
    The best pre-DNA evidence biography was possibly this one (which is indeed an enjoyable and informative read):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Sphinx

But it's quite telling of US attitudes towards the Founding Fathers that it concluded this:
    Unless the trustees of the Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation decide to exhume the remains and do DNA testing on Jefferson as well as some of his alleged progeny, it leaves the matter a mystery about which advocates on either side can freely speculate...This means that for those who demand an answer the only recourse is plausible conjecture, prefaced as it must be with profuse statements about the flimsy and wholly circumstantial character of the evidence. In that spirit, which we might call the spirit of responsible speculation, after five years mulling over the huge cache of evidence that does exist on the thought and character of the historical Jefferson, I have concluded that the likelihood of a liaison with Sally Hemings is remote.

We know how that turned out.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,317

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Phil said:

So, odds on Truss calling an immediate GE?

Whoever wins the leadership contest, they may well be thinking: better to go to the country with the excuse of needing a mandate for a new direction /now/ before the winter hits hard followed up by a year or more of grinding recession.

Alternatively, two years is a long time. Maybe something will turn up & it’s better to have the guarantee of two years of power to steer the narrative?

Thoughts?

She would be mad to call a GE because she would lose it and become a byword for loserdom for the rest of time. if she sticks it out she gets 2 years vs 2 months as PM and the chance to hang on as LOTO, whereas if she goes early and loses she is toast.

Ask again if the Tories have a 15% vi lead in September.
    What would be the point of electing Labour when they have nothing to say on the col? I'd be happy to give them a go, goodness knows the Tories seem tired, but what for? I cannot think of a single policy they have that would make the country better.
    They would find plenty to say in a snap GE campaign. Windfall taxes and nationalisations and wealth taxes.

What Truss policy would make the country better
    Truss has signalled that she would prefer fields to be used for growing food rather than for solar panels - I realise her passion for BRITISH CHEESE and PORK MARKETS has been mocked, but I would very much support a pro-food security policy from her. We'll see what materialises. I also agree with amending the NIP unilaterally if other methods prove unfruitful - this is a fundamental issue of the integrity of the Kingdom for me. I don't see Labour sorting that one out. I also favour her pro-energy security agenda - greenlighting new North Sea Oil projects and looking at fracking again. That's again something we won't see from Labour.

Obviously this is all leadership election fluff, but those things are at least a bit encouraging.
    "looking at fracking again"

Fracking will only lose the Tories votes. Those fracking sites are nearly all Tory seats, a lot of them not very safe Tory seats.
    That depends if there's enough lucre involved to reward the communities concerned amply and visibly. If there is; I think it's a vote winner.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,292
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Unless some scandal breaks about Truss in the next few weeks I doubt it makes much difference

Strange that covid seems to have helped me decide that either is fine by me, but just get on with it

At least they are not Boris who has gone absent on holiday and will not be missed by the public at large to whom he had become a complete liability
    33% of 2019 Conservative voters still want Boris to lead them compared to 26% for Truss and 24% for Sunak

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11042775/And-favourite-Boris-Grassroots-backlash-putsch-growing.html

Even amongst Tory members voting for Truss 49% would prefer Boris as PM to just 45% for Truss
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1554797759290642433?s=20&t=V6Qc_AZ5m8Y0FUL6hpgUWQ
    Proof positive that a percentage of people in this country are so thick that it is a sad indictment of our education system. Boris Johnson is a liar and an incompetent of such an extreme that he is completely unfit for office. I don't much like Truss, and Sunak fails to inspire me, but both have little chance of being as appalling as Johnson.
    If Truss proves a disaster, she may end up just keeping the seat warm until the return of Boris, the Prince across the Water
    I think that's a distinct possibility and is probably why Truss is Boris's preferred candidate. Alex Salmond is the major precedent here.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    edited August 2022

@HYUFD - if the majority of Tory members changed their mind on, say, grammar schools, so became against them, would you still support them?

The way you post suggests not

Yes because they would still be more in favour of them than Labour or the LDs.

48% of Tory voters want the government to build more grammar schools, compared to 19% who want to retain existing ones and not build any more and 14% who want to stop schools selecting by academic ability.

By contrast 37% of Labour voters want to stop schools selecting by academic ability to 21% who want to retain existing ones and just 15% who want to build more.

A plurality of LD voters, 28%, want to retain the existing ones but not build more, with 26% wanting to build more

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/education/trackers/how-the-government-should-handle-grammar-school-selection
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,672
    Scott_xP said:

I have circled the latest possible point the Tories can call a General Election. Looks pretty rough. https://twitter.com/AllegraStratton/status/1555230625560395776 https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1555231473950724097/photo/1

They will lose if those economic predictions are correct. Recession itself wouldn't necessarily do it, its more about how people feel, and they already feel poorer, so if it gets worse it is very difficult. I've never noticed so many people talk about cutting their expenditure and struggling as this year.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,339

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Unless some scandal breaks about Truss in the next few weeks I doubt it makes much difference

Strange that covid seems to have helped me decide that either is fine by me, but just get on with it

At least they are not Boris who has gone absent on holiday and will not be missed by the public at large to whom he had become a complete liability
    33% of 2019 Conservative voters still want Boris to lead them compared to 26% for Truss and 24% for Sunak

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11042775/And-favourite-Boris-Grassroots-backlash-putsch-growing.html

Even amongst Tory members voting for Truss 49% would prefer Boris as PM to just 45% for Truss
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1554797759290642433?s=20&t=V6Qc_AZ5m8Y0FUL6hpgUWQ
    Proof positive that a percentage of people in this country are so thick that it is a sad indictment of our education system. Boris Johnson is a liar and an incompetent of such an extreme that he is completely unfit for office. I don't much like Truss, and Sunak fails to inspire me, but both have little chance of being as appalling as Johnson.
    If Truss proves a disaster, she may end up just keeping the seat warm until the return of Boris, the Prince across the Water
    Never going to happen, however much the loons may want it. The only thing Princely about "Boris" is his wife's taste in wallpaper.
    Nonsense:

- Rumours abound of multiple illegitimate kids;
    - Party culture in his palace; and
    - Would rather holiday than deal with current crises.

All very princely.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    MISTY said:

Andrew Bailey does remind me of the Leader of Gondor in Return of the King.

He's just seen the Orc army and is yelling Flee! Flee for your lives!

But Denothor was mad and his Will had been broken by the enormous pressure put on him…ok I kind of see your point.
  • Options
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Never going to happen, however much the loons may want it. The only thing Princely about "Boris" is his wife's taste in wallpaper.
    Nonsense:

- Rumours abound of multiple illegitimate kids;
    - Party culture in his palace; and
    - Would rather holiday than deal with current crises.

All very princely.

Serially disloyal also works for many princes.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
  • Options

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

(FPT)

TOPPING said:

You are very noble to condemn likely thousands of Ukrainians to death instead of negotiating.

Now, if Ukraine wants to continue to fight because they believe that it is justified given that their country has been invaded that is of course wholly admirable - I daresay you and I would feel and do the same if someone invaded the UK.

But for outsiders to make that decision is more problematic; you are using their lives to try to achieve your ideals.

Most likely there will be some kind of negotiated settlement remains my belief. In an ideal world it would involve complete Russian withdrawal but that is an ideal. I don't close my mind off to the possibility that it will be where they stand on the day of negotiation.

You're shifting the argument there.
    The back and forth was prompted by the Jenkins article. Which effectively argues for imposing a ceasefire against Ukraine's wishes.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that the west should impose a decision to fight on Ukraine against its will. The reality is quite the opposite - we didn't start fully supporting them until they's demonstrated their determination to defeat the invasion.
    Didn't read the Jenkins article.

Thing is, while I support the Ukrainian decision to fight (and die) on, we (the West) have imposed all kinds of situations on all kinds of countries and to impose a ceasefire (did he say who would police it?) would stop the dying at this point right now. Would it help to achieve Ukraine's aims? Probably not and hence I would on balance not be in favour of it.

But right now we certainly aren't "fully supporting" Ukraine and hence we are in a way complicit in prolonging the war, with thousands of dead on each side.
    if you're arguing for increased weapons supply, then you agree with my position.

And that of the Ukrainian government.
    There is a view that the US government wants to prolong the war to do maximum damage to Russia. A quick defeat for Russia might see them able to recover more quickly.
    It's a fairly persuasive view too. The fact that it's also damaging the American people seems not to be the slightest impediment.
  • Options
    eek said:

biggles said:

Nigelb said:

The Texas abortion law is cruel and irrational, and a danger to pregnant women's lives.
    Medical complications which threaten the life of pregnant women are not rare.

https://www.texastribune.org/2022/08/03/texas-abortion-law-pregnancy/
    ...The crisis the Wellers endured is emblematic of the vast and perhaps unintended medical impacts of the criminalization of abortion in Republican-led states. The new abortion bans — or the old laws being resurrected in a post-Roe world — are rigidly written and untested in the courts. Many offer no exemptions for rape, incest, or fetal anomalies.

But the most confusing development involves the exemptions that exist for the woman’s life or health, or because of a “medical emergency.” These terms are left vague or undefined.

The result has been disarray and confusion for doctors and hospitals in multiple states, and risky delays and complications for patients facing obstetric conditions such as ectopic pregnancies, incomplete miscarriages, placental problems, and premature rupture of membranes...

...“I can tell that she’s been beat down, because she has been trying to fight for me all day, advocating on my behalf,” Elizabeth said. “And she starts to cry, and she tells me: ‘They’re not going to touch you.’ And that ‘you can either stay here and wait to get sick where we can monitor you, or we discharge you and you monitor yourself. Or you wait till your baby’s heartbeat stops.’”

It was because of the state law that forbids termination of a pregnancy as long as there is fetal cardiac activity. The law, which remains in effect, does contain one exception — for a “medical emergency.” But the statute doesn’t define that term. No one really knows what the legislature meant by that, and doctors are afraid of overstepping.

To Elizabeth, it seemed obvious that things were deteriorating. She had cramps and was passing clots of blood. Her discharge was yellow and smelled weird. But hospital staffers told her those weren’t the right symptoms yet...

Jesus. That’s inhuman.

It's what happens when a foetus is regarded as a human being rather than the mere possibility of being one.
    Actually in some respects the law privileges the foetal life over that of the mother.
    Which is not the case elsewhere is US law - see, for example the absence of any legal obligation at all on law enforcement officers to act to save the life of others.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/04/sandi-toksvig-lives-at-stake-anti-gay-anglican-church-declaration-justin-welby

Sandi Toksvig:

“I have had several credible death threats over the years, sometimes requiring the very kind assistance of the police hate crime squad.

“Each and every one of those threats has come from an evangelical Christian. Inevitably they have wanted to kill me on God’s behalf.”

And if this gets death threats over here, imagine what it will do in Nigeria.

Odd stance for a cult based around an overtly homosexual shaman to take.

Some cult which has 2.8 billion members
    The Christian cult which believes in physically attacking gay people does not have 2.8 billion members.
    He was referring to the whole religion
    I was. Most Anglicans are in Africa thought and the vast majority of African Anglicans are homophobic.
    You should try African Muslims, Catholics and evangelicals who make up the majority of the continent
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    Been reading Judge Dredd.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,603
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

About those woke teachers...

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1555157122958123010
    FL civics teachers are speaking out after attending DeSantis’s new mandatory 3-day ‘patriotic history’ indoctrination seminars. One example they cited was that students would be told Washington & Jefferson opposed slavery, while omitting the fact that they owned them.

This is an interesting account of Jefferson, about whom I know very little. It comments on another attempt to sanitise history books for children:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-dark-side-of-thomas-jefferson-35976004/

'Weaving slavery into a narrative about Thomas Jefferson usually presents a challenge to authors, but one writer managed to spin this vicious attack and terrible punishment of a nailery boy into a charming plantation tale. In a 1941 biography of Jefferson for “young adults” (ages 12 to 16) the author wrote: “In this beehive of industry no discord or revilings found entrance: there were no signs of discontent on the black shining faces as they worked under the direction of their master....The women sang at their tasks and the children old enough to work made nails leisurely, not too overworked for a prank now and then.”

It might seem unfair to mock the misconceptions and sappy prose of “a simpler era,” except that this book, The Way of an Eagle, and hundreds like it, shaped the attitudes of generations of readers about slavery and African-Americans. Time magazine chose it as one of the “important books” of 1941 in the children’s literature category, and it gained a second life in America’s libraries when it was reprinted in 1961 as Thomas Jefferson: Fighter for Freedom and Human Rights.'

At least the 1940s book admitted that J owned slaves ... but perhaps the modern reluctance to admit it points to a greater understanding of guilt.
    golly, that is riveting.

"In another communication from the early 1790s, Jefferson takes the 4 percent formula further and quite bluntly advances the notion that slavery presented an investment strategy for the future. He writes that an acquaintance who had suffered financial reverses “should have been invested in negroes.” He advises that if the friend’s family had any cash left, “every farthing of it [should be] laid out in land and negroes, which besides a present support bring a silent profit of from 5. to 10. per cent in this country by the increase in their value.” "
    Quite. And that is pbulished by the Smithsonian Institution (though obvs not as a direct statement of governing body policy, but as an article in one of its magazines).

The article doesn't make much if anything of J's liaisons with slaves - except perhaps by implication when referring to the Hemmings. I'm not sure what the reason is, but maybe the aim is to focus on J's utilitarian attitude.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/04/sandi-toksvig-lives-at-stake-anti-gay-anglican-church-declaration-justin-welby

Sandi Toksvig:

“I have had several credible death threats over the years, sometimes requiring the very kind assistance of the police hate crime squad.

“Each and every one of those threats has come from an evangelical Christian. Inevitably they have wanted to kill me on God’s behalf.”

The Christian cult which believes in physically attacking gay people does not have 2.8 billion members.
    Well it's not an inaccurate name.

The literal definition of cult, or at least the first one, is this:
    a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object.
  • Options
    Sky garden update. Still not many red tomatoes, but hundreds of green ones. Cucumbers still flourishing, though mostly now about 3ft below the ‘sky’ garden bit

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

And even into 2025, growth looks horribly anemic.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    I know it has provided a lot of fun for futurists and architects over the decades, but colour me skeptical that all the world's problems could be resolved by designing different shaped buildings and civic infrastucture.

I recall a line city in an old cracked article.

https://www.cracked.com/article_18947_the-6-most-insane-cities-ever-planned.html
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

I was. Most Anglicans are in Africa thought and the vast majority of African Anglicans are homophobic.
    You should try African Muslims, Catholics and evangelicals who make up the majority of the continent
    Yes, but the edicts of the popes and mullahs are nothing to do with me whereas as an Englishman I have a degree of deeply unwanted vicarious responsibility for the imbecilic maunderings of that drooling arsewipe Welby, who has pretty much guaranteed lynchings and murderings which would not otherwise take place.
  • Options

Sky garden update. Still not many red tomatoes, but hundreds of green ones. Cucumbers still flourishing, though mostly now about 3ft below the ‘sky’ garden bit

Ooooo. I’m stealing that idea.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object.
    'Group of sects' would be more accurate, surely? I have great difficulty regarding a member of the Religious Society of Friends, HYUFD with his Divine Rightism, the RCs, and an American millennialist neocon as being members of the same cult.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

In which case if you add the 2 billion Muslims who venerate Muhammad, the majority of the world's 8 billion people are members of a cult
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    So those tax cut plans of Ms Truss.
    The £30bn headroom has vanished in a puff of smoke. If Rishi had held his initial line he would be in a strong position to say I told you so but he’s been every bit as cavalier as Truss of late.
    What does the government do? Abandon any idea of a fiscal framework or just grin and bear a 15 month recession and electoral annihilation? I know what my monies on.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

In which case if you add the 2 billion Muslims who venerate Muhammad, the majority of the world's 8 billion people are members of a cult
    Yes. If not using it as a pejorative then a majority would be in a cult under some definitions. You still seem to feel the main (dis)qualifier is size, which is very interesting.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The £30bn headroom has vanished in a puff of smoke. If Rishi had held his initial line he would be in a strong position to say I told you so but he’s been every bit as cavalier as Truss of late.
    What does the government do? Abandon any idea of a fiscal framework or just grin and bear a 15 month recession and electoral annihilation? I know what my monies on.

It’ll be called a “plan for growth”. We’re going to hear a lot about the mythical laffer curve.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Scott_xP said:

Ouch!

The Cons have run out of good options.
    2023, 24 and Jan 25 all look horrific.

And it wouldn’t surprise me if those forecasts are far too optimistic. So many things could go wrong.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

Yes, but the edicts of the popes and mullahs are nothing to do with me whereas as an Englishman I have a degree of deeply unwanted vicarious responsibility for the imbecilic maunderings of that drooling arsewipe Welby, who has pretty much guaranteed lynchings and murderings which would not otherwise take place.
    What a load of rubbish, he has said he will not take action against priests who conduct gay weddings, even if the Anglican church overall sticks to the scriptural line held by the majority of the Anglican communion.

Indeed it is not a million miles away from the compromise over women priests, where churches do not have to have them if they don't wish
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

What a load of rubbish, he has said he will not take action against priests who conduct gay weddings, even if the Anglican church overall sticks to the scriptural line held by the majority of the Anglican communion.

Indeed it is not a million miles away from the compromise over women priests, where churches do not have to have them if they don't wish
    But it is the law of the land, as signed off by the Head of the Church, that same-sex marriages can occur. So why is the Established Church in England allowing its priests to ignore the law of the land? What's the point of Erastianism if you aren't going to do it properly?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited August 2022
    DavidL said:

They will assure us that everything is going wonderfully, as we are “outperforming Botswana and the Solomon Islands”, and this will be lapped up by the Tory press and certain head-in-sand commentators on PB.
  • Options
    Oh FFS. Not another night of the usual suspects trolling each other on religion.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

I'm obviously not as well read on the scripture as you but where does it say in the scripture that gay marriage is not allowed.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

But it is the law of the land, as signed off by the Head of the Church, that same-sex marriages can occur. So why is the Established Church in England allowing its priests to ignore the law of the land? What's the point of Erastianism if you aren't going to do it properly?
    Yes but civil law is distinct from theological law. In time I expect the church of England will allow priests to conduct gay marriages or not based on individual conscience as some parts of the Anglican Communion already do but we are not there yet
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

I'm obviously not as well read on the scripture as you but where does it say in the scripture that gay marriage is not allowed.
    There is plenty in the Old Testament and Paul against homosexuality, even if Jesus doesn't mention it
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    BoE’s growth projections for the next three years are miserable.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Every man for himself. That’s the Tory way.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174

Oh FFS. Not another night of the usual suspects trolling each other on religion.

Don't worry we have the leadership debate on later. Hopefully posters will focus on that instead!
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    biggles said:

Pulpstar said:
    Been reading Judge Dredd.
    Or Asimov's "Caves of Steel" :wink:
  • Options
    Washington State Primary 2022 - ongoing vote counting and canvassing

As I type this, King County Elections is conducted legally-required hand count of randomly-selected ballots, to confirm that the manual result matches the machine tabulation.

Also selected at random for this check was the office being handcounted: for US Senate with 148 candidates on the ballot, in addition to write-ins, over-votes (more than one candidate selected) and under-votes (zero candidate selected).

You can see the process via this link, go to the camera labeled "Opening Live Stream 2" the handcount is being conducted at tables in back row, observed by party observers wearing orange lanyards; election workers have blue lanyards.

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/elections/about-us/security-and-accountability/watch-us-in-action.aspx
  • Options
    ping said:

BoE’s growth projections for the next three years are miserable.

When will punters notice?

Con Maj 3.85

Looks like appalling value.
  • Options

DavidL said:

No, it’s “every man for the top one percent”.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,174
    DavidL said:

Whatever money you have on it will be worth a lot less soon 👿😡
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

There is plenty in the Old Testament and Paul against homosexuality, even if Jesus doesn't mention it
    Of course he doesn't bloody mention it, banana brain.

How many different ways do you think you can have it? You claim that the monarch is head of the Church. Which is batshit, but against unbelievable odds you hit the jackpot once and end up with a great and learned theologian in the driving seat, and he correctly states that the relationship between Jesus and John was one of physical homosexuality.

Paul had all the batshit overcertainty of the convert, like a more lucid Liz Truss.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

Are you suggesting that the key criteria of a cult is how many people are followers? Christianity is safe there but a few other faiths might not qualify depending on where you set the line.
    My understanding of the definition of a cult is not based on numbers. I am a (lapsed) Roman Catholic, but I think you can refer to Christianity as a cult when using a pure definition. That said the word "cult" is normally used in a pejorative way, so I can understand HYUFD being offended. When most people think of cults they think of the Moonies, or Scientology.
    Evangelical religion should be treated as a mental illness.... heck, ALL religion should be. Talking to imaginary friends is something you are supposed to grow out of by primary school.
  • Options

Talking of cult fans we are going to Elvis shortly so won't be all night
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

DavidL said:

The Governor of the Bank of England looks like a drowning man without a rope. Does anyone how he got the job? The government are bad enough but if this is supposed to be the grown up in the room God help us!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

How many different ways do you think you can have it? You claim that the monarch is head of the Church. Which is batshit, but against unbelievable odds you hit the jackpot once and end up with a great and learned theologian in the driving seat, and he correctly states that the relationship between Jesus and John was one of physical homosexuality.

Paul had all the batshit overcertainty of the convert, like a more lucid Liz Truss.
    The Monarch is Head of the Church of England by divine right.

There is no evidence Jesus ever engaged in a homosexual act or indeed any sexual act
  • Options

Shocked to learn there are trolls active here, shocked, I tell you. I think you should denounce them in a pm to the Moderators, and hopefully we'll see the last of them.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

There is no evidence Jesus ever engaged in a homosexual act or indeed any sexual act
    Tell it to James VI and I. The face ain't listening.
  • Options
    edited August 2022

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

Are you suggesting that the key criteria of a cult is how many people are followers? Christianity is safe there but a few other faiths might not qualify depending on where you set the line.
    My understanding of the definition of a cult is not based on numbers. I am a (lapsed) Roman Catholic, but I think you can refer to Christianity as a cult when using a pure definition. That said the word "cult" is normally used in a pejorative way, so I can understand HYUFD being offended. When most people think of cults they think of the Moonies, or Scientology.
    Evangelical religion should be treated as a mental illness.... heck, ALL religion should be. Talking to imaginary friends is something you are supposed to grow out of by primary school.
    Absolutely not, commitment to God and Christ as a guiding force for your life is vital and leads you to eternal life far greater than this one
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

So as a Christian (Judeo Christian I believe you described yourself) are you against gay marriage?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

Tell it to James VI and I. The face ain't listening.
    He became Head of the Church of England by divine right as soon as he took the throne of England. Had his son had his way he would have been head of the Church of Scotland by divine right too
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

Did you just type “divide right”? In 2022?

• Options
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

Of course the Monarch is Supreme Governor of the Church of England today as much as in the 16th century
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Yeah, enough theology

Someone was suggesting there's ustings tonite but is that right?

No it isn't. Eastbourne tomorrow. Which gives them 24 hours to adjust their fiscal positions.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

So as a Christian (Judeo Christian I believe you described yourself) are you against gay marriage?
    Not personally no but many Christians and indeed many Muslims and Jews too are and that also has to be respected
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

Not personally no but many Christians and indeed many Muslims and Jews too are and that also has to be respected
    So how can you be a Christian if you disagree with the Anglican church?
  • Options

Washington State Primary 2022 - ongoing vote counting and canvassing

As I type this, King County Elections is conducted legally-required hand count of randomly-selected ballots, to confirm that the manual result matches the machine tabulation.

Also selected at random for this check was the office being handcounted: for US Senate with 148 candidates on the ballot, in addition to write-ins, over-votes (more than one candidate selected) and under-votes (zero candidate selected).

You can see the process via this link, go to the camera labeled "Opening Live Stream 2" the handcount is being conducted at tables in back row, observed by party observers wearing orange lanyards; election workers have blue lanyards.

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/elections/about-us/security-and-accountability/watch-us-in-action.aspx

Sorry, typo NOT 148 candidates but somewhat more manageable 18!

Still a super-abundance considering that only two are/were more than ballot filler: incumbent Democratic US Sen. Patty Murray with 53.5% of vote as of Wed night's count, and Republican Tiffany Smiley with 32.6%, leaving just 14% for the other 17 plus write-ins.
  • Options
    Russian TV asks for North Korean volunteers to help its troops fighting in Ukraine

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1555222278232735744?s=20&t=v2hyTucO1x-4K5_EVhZsBg
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,440
    Pulpstar said:
    What's less efficient than a fucking line. Build a hexagon you uber-consultant-fucks.

At least when the Houthis invade they'll have something shiny to pray in.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

Of course the Monarch is Supreme Governor of the Church of England today as much as in the 16th century
    Whether they are the head of the church is different. You think they were appointed as such by God? You believe in the divine rights of kings?

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    I’ve never understood what’s so interesting about a particular dusty book written in the dusty olive groves several millennia ago. Plenty of more interesting books have been written since.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,251
    edited August 2022
    This week's Spectator TV includes Liz Truss's lead and John Curtice on leadership polls.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_QxXimRGLQ
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Russian TV asks for North Korean volunteers to help its troops fighting in Ukraine

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1555222278232735744?s=20&t=v2hyTucO1x-4K5_EVhZsBg

Good. Should import weak soldiers with a nasty form of Covid…
  • Options
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

Whether they are the head of the church is different. You think they were appointed as such by God? You believe in the divine rights of kings?

Yes, I am a Tory. I just accept Parliament is now supreme too
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

I don't, the Archbishop made clear he would not punish Anglican ministers who conduct gay marriages.

There is also a distinction between gay marriage in civil law which I now accept and in religious law which I am not as committed to, although you can still have a blessing
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    moonshine said:

I’ve never understood what’s so interesting about a particular dusty book written in the dusty olive groves several millennia ago. Plenty of more interesting books have been written since.

The history of how it was written (not as you describe) is however, fascinating. Perhaps the most unlikely part is the creation of the King James Bible, which was created by committees of committees of leading academics who in general heartily loathed each other. Almost certainly guaranteed to fail, and yet, we have one of the great works of English literature….it’s almost as though a higher power was involved…
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

You reject the settlement we came to after 1688?

It was at this point I was able to confirm you are trolling….

• Options
    moonshine said:

As it is the book and the guide to Christian life and eternal life
  • Options

moonshine said:

The history of how it was written (not as you describe) is however, fascinating. Perhaps the most unlikely part is the creation of the King James Bible, which was created by committees of committees of leading academics who in general heartily loathed each other. Almost certainly guaranteed to fail, and yet, we have one of the great works of English literature….it’s almost as though a higher power was involved…
    Indeed. Studying the process of how the bible was developed into what we now recognise is more or less a study of the growth and change of western civilisation itself.
  • Options
    Received my ballot and sent it back.
  • Options
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

biggles said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

You reject the settlement we came to after 1688?

It was at this point I was able to confirm you are trolling….

No. Otherwise I would literally argue King Charles IIIrd could veto laws, crack down on dissenters, raise his own taxes and raise his own army
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

moonshine said:

I’m not sure I agree. The creation myths of many other religions are far more creative. Even the gnostic texts have a more interesting take on Eden. Much of the Old Testament is a fairly dry record. Revelations is good fun I’ll give you that one.
  • Options

Was it the wrong size?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,229
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

Thankfully we live in a country where no-one cares or has to bother about what these handful of aged adherents to this ancient nonsense might happen to think, at any point in time.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,115
    Canada is joining New Zealand and the Netherlands in sending military trainers to the UK to help train Ukrainian soldiers.
  • Options

That’ll show ‘em!
  • Options
    moonshine said:

If you think Christ's message is less relevant to people living in today's world than to the ancient world, I have an Acropolis to sell you.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088
    IshmaelZ said:

Yeah, enough theology

No it isn't. Eastbourne tomorrow. Which gives them 24 hours to adjust their fiscal positions.

Isn't the SKY debate tonight?

Liz Truss is the greatest Prime Minister ever as she is going to build the Southern M4 relief Motorway at Newport.

A point of order. She needs to abolish the Senedd first, but that's no bad thing as Drakeford would otherwise have imposed a 20 mph speed limit on the new motorway as he has done so everywhere else in Wales
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

Thankfully we live in a country where no-one cares or has to bother about what these handful of aged adherents to this ancient nonsense might happen to think, at any point in time.
    Well I certainly care as do plenty of others and I am only 40 not 80
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Yeah, enough theology

Isn't the SKY debate tonight?

Liz Truss is the greatest Prime Minister ever as she is going to build the Southern M4 relief Motorway at Newport.

A point of order. She needs to abolish the Senedd first, but that's no bad thing as Drakeford would otherwise have imposed a 20 mph speed limit on the new motorway as he has done so everywhere else in Wales
    Ah yes, thank you.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

Perhaps you can help with a first world problem?

Whenever I stay in a hotel with a bible in the bedside cabinet, I take it out in the evening and drop it in some roadside bin. I’d hang onto it, but nowadays I really don’t light enough fires to need so much spare paper.

But am I doing the wrong thing? If the hotel simply buys more from whatever publishing house is churning out these things, am I actually fuelling the bible printing industry? Or perhaps the hotel won’t bother to check and the lucky subsequent occupants of my room will be spared the unwanted propaganda?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

Yes. If not using it as a pejorative then a majority would be in a cult under some definitions. You still seem to feel the main (dis)qualifier is size, which is very interesting.
    He’s like my missus in that respect.

• Options

Was it the wrong size?
    No.

But rather than having the names of two plausible Prime Ministers, it had the names of a pair of ninnies. Clearly an elaborate practical joke.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

Whenever I stay in a hotel with a bible in the bedside cabinet, I take it out in the evening and drop it in some roadside bin. I’d hang onto it, but nowadays I really don’t light enough fires to need so much spare paper.

But am I doing the wrong thing? If the hotel simply buys more from whatever publishing house is churning out these things, am I actually fuelling the bible printing industry? Or perhaps the hotel won’t bother to check and the lucky subsequent occupants of my room will be spared the unwanted propaganda?
    Yes you are doing the wrong thing and you could be reported for theft
  • Options

Upload a photo including the secret codes we need to change your vote online.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,121
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

Well I certainly care as do plenty of others and I am only 40 not 80
    Really? I thought you were only 38!
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

I don't, the Archbishop made clear he would not punish Anglican ministers who conduct gay marriages.

There is also a distinction between gay marriage in civil law which I now accept and in religious law which I am not as committed to, although you can still have a blessing
    You said gay marriage (and homosexuality) was against the scriptures and told me various parts of the bible where it was explicitly condemned. Hence Christianity by your own estimation is against gay marriage. If you are not then you cannot count yourself as a Christian.

But as you are against gay marriage in "religious law" perhaps we are getting to your real thoughts on the matter.

We have religious freedom here in the UK if you think this you should have no fear of stating it outright.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    eek said:

biggles said:

Nigelb said:

The Texas abortion law is cruel and irrational, and a danger to pregnant women's lives.

...The crisis the Wellers endured is emblematic of the vast and perhaps unintended medical impacts of the criminalization of abortion in Republican-led states. The new abortion bans — or the old laws being resurrected in a post-Roe world — are rigidly written and untested in the courts. Many offer no exemptions for rape, incest, or fetal anomalies.

But the most confusing development involves the exemptions that exist for the woman’s life or health, or because of a “medical emergency.” These terms are left vague or undefined.

The result has been disarray and confusion for doctors and hospitals in multiple states, and risky delays and complications for patients facing obstetric conditions such as ectopic pregnancies, incomplete miscarriages, placental problems, and premature rupture of membranes...

...“I can tell that she’s been beat down, because she has been trying to fight for me all day, advocating on my behalf,” Elizabeth said. “And she starts to cry, and she tells me: ‘They’re not going to touch you.’ And that ‘you can either stay here and wait to get sick where we can monitor you, or we discharge you and you monitor yourself. Or you wait till your baby’s heartbeat stops.’”

It was because of the state law that forbids termination of a pregnancy as long as there is fetal cardiac activity. The law, which remains in effect, does contain one exception — for a “medical emergency.” But the statute doesn’t define that term. No one really knows what the legislature meant by that, and doctors are afraid of overstepping.

To Elizabeth, it seemed obvious that things were deteriorating. She had cramps and was passing clots of blood. Her discharge was yellow and smelled weird. But hospital staffers told her those weren’t the right symptoms yet...

Jesus. That’s inhuman.

It's what happens when a foetus is regarded as a human being rather than the mere possibility of being one.
    The slightly crazy thing about this is that the Catholic Church - until the 1920s - didn't recognise pregnancy as beginning until The Quickening. This whole 'life begins at conception' is a very new.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947

Did you fill it in in between?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

Yes you are doing the wrong thing and you could be reported for theft
    Well, that’s a left field answer that I wasn’t expecting!

I thought the idea was that some gullible dolt would actually take it away, and that the deluded ramblings of some first century shepherds, as recollected and carefully edited hundreds of years later, might convert them into an extra Christian?

If the idea is to take it away, how can taking it away be theft?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandi Toksvig:

You said gay marriage (and homosexuality) was against the scriptures and told me various parts of the bible where it was explicitly condemned.

But as you are against gay marriage in religious law perhaps we are getting to your real thoughts on the matter.
    Personally I always favoured civil unions not marriage as the latter is a religious term but we are where we are
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,885
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

biggles said:

Nigelb said:

Jesus. That’s inhuman.

The slightly crazy thing about this is that the Catholic Church - until the 1920s - didn't recognise pregnancy as beginning until The
    Quickening. This whole 'life begins at conception' is a very new.
    “The quickening”? Surely that suits the Chinese as there can be only one.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

A guide which you disagree with, thereby rendering yourself ineligible to be a Christian.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Liz looks like she plans to give Bozza a run for his money nonetheless.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

moonshine said:

I am really unsure why you should do such a thing to be honest, even less so to brag about it, but then intolerance shows itself in lots of strange ways

For me I would just close the drawer and leave it alone
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Phil said:

So, odds on Truss calling an immediate GE?

Whoever wins the leadership contest, they may well be thinking: better to go to the country with the excuse of needing a mandate for a new direction /now/ before the winter hits hard followed up by a year or more of grinding recession.

Alternatively, two years is a long time. Maybe something will turn up & it’s better to have the guarantee of two years of power to steer the narrative?

Thoughts?

She would be mad to call a GE because she would lose it and become a byword for loserdom for the rest of time. if she sticks it out she gets 2 years vs 2 months as PM and the chance to hang on as LOTO, whereas if she goes early and loses she is toast.

Ask again if the Tories have a 15% vi lead in September.
    What would be the point of electing Labour when they have nothing to say on the col? I'd be happy to give them a go, goodness knows the Tories seem tired, but what for? I cannot think of a single policy they have that would make the country better.
    They would find plenty to say in a snap GE campaign. Windfall taxes and nationalisations and wealth taxes.

What Truss policy would make the country better
    Truss has signalled that she would prefer fields to be used for growing food rather than for solar panels - I realise her passion for BRITISH CHEESE and PORK MARKETS has been mocked, but I would very much support a pro-food security policy from her. We'll see what materialises. I also agree with amending the NIP unilaterally if other methods prove unfruitful - this is a fundamental issue of the integrity of the Kingdom for me. I don't see Labour sorting that one out. I also favour her pro-energy security agenda - greenlighting new North Sea Oil projects and looking at fracking again. That's again something we won't see from Labour.

Obviously this is all leadership election fluff, but those things are at least a bit encouraging.
    "looking at fracking again"

Fracking will only lose the Tories votes. Those fracking sites are nearly all Tory seats, a lot of them not very safe Tory seats.
    That depends if there's enough lucre involved to reward the communities concerned amply and visibly. If there is; I think it's a vote winner.
    This doesn't ultimately solve the problem that the shale deposits in the UK are not economically viable in the medium term.

A British power station could buy a long term LNG contract from Mozambique, Israel, Qatar or Australia for under $10/mmbtu, so why should they pay $20 for British natural gas. (And, by the way, there's no guarantee that shale gas in the UK is extractable for $20/mmbtu.)
  • Options

Canada is joining New Zealand and the Netherlands in sending military trainers to the UK to help train Ukrainian soldiers.

You mean like these?

This discussion has been closed.