Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Do the Tories know what they are getting with Truss? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,677

BREAKING:

Rishi Sunak says he would support the return of grammar schools

'I believe in educational excellence, I believe education is the most powerful way that we can transform people's lives'

That's sounds like a *major* commitment - but he doesn't expand on it

https://twitter.com/adrianmcmenamin/status/1552733873108312064

Translation: Rishi Sunak wants to make 3/4 of schools Secondary Moderns

It’ll be Fox Hunting next

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,200

Big clap for some hate-ridden hag who wants to deal with “the dinghies”.

Do you mean the Home Secretary?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,226

They are all obsessed.

Ask her if she is happy that the main processing centre looks like being Linton on Ouse which is just up the road from Leeds iirc.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,848
    edited July 2022

BREAKING:

'I believe in educational excellence, I believe education is the most powerful way that we can transform people's lives'

It’ll be Fox Hunting next

But not greyhound racing, maybe!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,613
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Just met an old friend in primrose hill. On conditions of extreme secrecy… HE TOLD ME THE FINLAND RUMOUR

😶😶😶😶

So: it exists. This doesn’t mean it is true, of course

No he didn't because if he did you could tell us the Finnish search terms to use, without betraying your friend's confidence.
    I have heard it (I said before that I’d heard it but that was me being a troll (and also slightly jealous of those who HAD heard it))(Jesus what am I, a 16 year old girl??)

Anyway you can believe me or not. THE FINLAND RUMOUR EXISTS

I’ll say it again, this does not mean it is true, nor, even if it is true, if it would overturn Bulgarian and global politics, indeed the speeding space race, as alleged
    Not to mention ‘ …the giant rat of Sumatra, a story for which the world is not yet prepared ‘.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Cyclefree said:

IshmaelZ said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

It's amusing that a forum where, a few hours ago, posters were up in arms about women's rights, now features posts concerning rumours and sexual tittle-tattle about a female candidate, where the make candidate goes unremarked. Often from the same posters.

It must be the *correct* form of sexism...

Well I have tittle tattle about Sunak's sexuality if that's what's bothering you. Though personally I have no idea whether it's true and it doesn't reflect badly on him in any event. IMO
    You appear to have tittle-tattle on lots of people in Westminster. Perhaps you ought to consider that the 'tittle-tattle' might be the same as Lord McAlpine's, which he suffered for many years before it was proved wrong.

I'd have thought a top lawyer such as yourself would have realised that.
    Don't be so pompous. Which bit of "I have no idea whether it's true and it doesn't reflect badly on him in any event. IMO." did you not understand?

It's not been me sharing rumours about Ms Truss either. And what I have heard about her is not at all what has been shared on here.

I am well aware of how harmful unsubstantiated allegations can be. I have pointed this out both in relation to Prince Andrew BTL and in thread headers in relation to the very great harm done by the police over malicious allegations of child abuse.
    It's not being pompous. You say you're aware of how harmful unsubstantiated rumours can be then say on several occasions that you know things - but you can't possible say them on here about individuals you name.

If you can't say them, don't mention them.

Back in 1997, a friend took me around parliament. He was doing a summer placement with a new MP after Blair's victory. During that visit, he told me about some tittle-tattle he had heard about McAlpine. He thought that would be of interest to me due to the connection with the civ eng giant.

McAlpine had to live with those 'rumours' being spread behind his back for at least fifteen years. Nudge-nudge, wink-wink.

It's not just the police: it's everyone on-line.
    Try reading what I wrote rather than what you think I wrote.
    I did, thanks. Now, how about a proper response?
    I can only repeat what I said before. I have heard some tittle tattle about both candidates. One is amusing but not surprising and has been, if true, in the public domain since at least 2018 - and not put there by me but by the Tory whips. The other is not even harmful to my mind. I have not shared any of it on here.

Address your remarks to those who have clogged up this thread and others with endless, tedious and somewhat adolescent speculation about and adolescent jokes on one candidate's alleged sexual preferences.
    Ahem. Your comment in response to mine was: "Well I have tittle tattle about Sunak's sexuality if that's what's bothering you."

I'd argue such tittle-tattle is little better than 'adolescent speculation', as all tittle-tattle / gossip is.
    Would you like to quote the next sentence I wrote? No?

I'll remind you - "Though personally I have no idea whether it's true and it doesn't reflect badly on him in any event. IMO."
    And I have explained why neither element of that is relevant any more than allegedly or innocent face would be.
    No. You haven't. But this is boring now.

Yes I have.

If you got a letter from Sunak's lawyers tomorrow and were not terrified, that would be because you have no grasp at all of English libel law.

And leaving the legalities aside are you morally happy with making this kind of suggestion about a young, married father of young children?
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Do you mean the Home Secretary?
    LOL
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

She’s wearing the necklace AGAIN

It is impossible she doesn’t know by now. So we can only conclude she knows and she’s cool with it and she doesn’t care. She’s at ease. Good for her

She can't really not wear it now. I suspect it will be retired quietly after the campaign.

In a way, being kinky is somewhat in the tradition of senior Tories. I am faintly bemused as to why one would express it in jewellery whilst running for high office though.

I have no idea if this applies to Truss, but some subs get a kick out of discreetly exhibiting their ‘owned’ status to the vanilla world, which largely remains clueless. Yet other kinksters will recognize it

This is a plot device in Story of O, if I recall correctly - a foundational text of BDSM
    Everything she does is just a bit dopey and unsubtle isn't it? I suppose we should be grateful she didn't rock up in head to toe PVC.

However, if she turns out to be a good PM, I'm fine with it.
    She may of course be doing it for a bet, or for a laugh, who knows

I'm just explaining the sub psychology as I have encountered it
    I don't find either of those options particularly comforting. It'd be nicer if she picked it up in a junk shop in Polperro and thought 'Oh, what a pretty circle of life pendant'.
  • Options
    Among the crazies, we’re actually getting broader and better questions from the Tory faithful than the BBC or ITV managed.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Set an alarm for your lunch hour tomorrow: the result of the Wagatha Christie trial is expected at noon.

Shall we do a sweepstake on the value of Jamie Vardy’s legal bill?
    What a complete waste of the judge's time!
    I am absolutely hate myself for how interested I am in this trial.

A friend of mine is convinced that this will be a victory for Vardy, if not financially, given the the original ruling.

https://www.matrixlaw.co.uk/judgments/high-court-rules-in-favour-of-rebekah-vardy-in-libel-preliminary-issue-trial/
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855

So these Commonwealth Games, they're just like the proper Olympics, but without the top nations such as the US, China, Russia, etc.?

In some sports this is as good as it gets. In others it’s a chance for someone else to win gold. And it’s all about friendship. It’s magnificent.
    I believe there are some sports in the Commonwealth Games which don't feature in the Olympics. Isn't there a bowls tournament for example and what about freestyle tea-making?
  • Options

Sunak reminds me so much of Blair

Except for Blair’s (inexplicable to me) ability to charm the birds from the trees.
    He has some touches of Blair's mannerisms and ways of speaking but not in the same class frankly.

But part of the Blair phenomenon was that he arrived, fresh-faced, at the end of years and years of Tory rule and a nation's broken and lonely eyes turned to him.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Foxy said:

Liz is really dominating this contest.
    The country will be punished.

Does anyone remember our safe word?
    Vote Labour.
  • Options
    Watching the show from Birmingham - apart from Dr Johnson the Hut going well so far - just had Malala welcoming remarks
  • Options
    stodge said:

So these Commonwealth Games, they're just like the proper Olympics, but without the top nations such as the US, China, Russia, etc.?

In some sports this is as good as it gets. In others it’s a chance for someone else to win gold. And it’s all about friendship. It’s magnificent.
    I believe there are some sports in the Commonwealth Games which don't feature in the Olympics. Isn't there a bowls tournament for example and what about freestyle tea-making?
    In Brum, surely it is Balti making?
  • Options

Watching the show from Birmingham - apart from Dr Johnson the Hut going well so far - just had Malala welcoming remarks

Not entirely sure what the whole Dr J as Jaba the Hutt was about...
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Set an alarm for your lunch hour tomorrow: the result of the Wagatha Christie trial is expected at noon.

A friend of mine is convinced that this will be a victory for Vardy, if not financially, given the the original ruling.

https://www.matrixlaw.co.uk/judgments/high-court-rules-in-favour-of-rebekah-vardy-in-libel-preliminary-issue-trial/
    What would the worst outcome be? A verdict for Vardy but with damages at £10?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,215
    Surfing twitter I just saw a shot of some unspeakable videos of Russian special forces torturing Ukrainian POWs

Up there with the worst of the Mexican cartel videos

Mind-bleach please. Jeez. I'm going to cook some Brazilian fish stew and try and forget
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    In more important news, remember the WhatsApp group Wayne Couzens belonged to? 3 more Met officers from the same group are currently on trial in relation to some really disturbing messages they posted.

What is also interesting is that, like Couzens, they too came from the Civil Nuclear Constabulary and had not been in the Met a long time. This does suggest something a bit iffy about the CNC as well as the Met.

I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about having such people guarding our nuclear facilities frankly.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

I honestly feeling like i am tripping on acid watching this Commonwealth games opening ceremony

And the UK is Balkanised into England, Scotland, Wales and NI!
    Don't forget Jersey, Guernsey and The Isle of Man
    Strictly speaking, they are not officially administered as part of the UK!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Surfing twitter I just saw a shot of some unspeakable videos of Russian special forces torturing Ukrainian POWs

Mind-bleach please. Jeez. I'm going to cook some Brazilian fish stew and try and forget

Everything does, indeed, sound like innuendo after a while.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

In more important news, remember the WhatsApp group Wayne Couzens belonged to? 3 more Met officers from the same group are currently on trial in relation to some really disturbing messages they posted.

What is also interesting is that, like Couzens, they too came from the Civil Nuclear Constabulary and had not been in the Met a long time. This does suggest something a bit iffy about the CNC as well as the Met.

I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about having such people guarding our nuclear facilities frankly.

Toxic waste in more ways than one.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    IshmaelZ said:

Pretty thin applause for the Put phatboi on the ballot proposal. Ferrari was expecting more.

Thought you were talking about F1 for a sec there and was trying to work out who phatboi was.
  • Options
    MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 156

I honestly feeling like i am tripping on acid watching this Commonwealth games opening ceremony

I know it's a very basic way of looking at it, but how come they are not members of FIFA for example?
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,505
    Arizona Republican Governor Doug Ducey is proposing to solve the state's water shortages with desalination:
    "The plan includes helping fund the building of a desalination plant in the Sea of Cortez in Mexico. The state would not own the plant but would buy water from it. Buschatzke estimates the cost to build the plant would be in the neighborhood of $2.5-3 billion."
    source: https://ktar.com/story/5042317/gov-doug-duceys-plan-to-use-desalinated-water-in-arizona-will-be-pricey-expert-says/

As I recall, Mexico would get part of the water from the plant, and that part of Mexico needs water, too.

Ducey has been trying to learn from the experts: https://www.jpost.com/business-and-innovation/energy-and-infrastructure/article-708201

(I don't know enough about the economics of such plants to judge how much sense this proposal makes. Or whether we can look forward to further decreases in the costs of desalination. But it is interesting.)

• Options

stodge said:

In Brum, surely it is Balti making?
    Balti Towers, starring embittered hotel landlord Fazil Balti.
  • Options

BREAKING:

Complete idiot.
    He's just telling the tory membership stuff they want to hear.

It will not actually happen because if he wins - big if there - he has to win an election and a return to secondary moderns aint a winner.

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,905
    edited July 2022
    Cyclefree said:

That must be the most boring police job in the UK. Maybe why? (Edit: explanation, not excuse)

I know an armed cop in Edinburgh and he goes slightly mad every time the Queen comes up.
  • Options

I know it's a very basic way of looking at it, but how come they are not members of FIFA for example?
    They all have non-league teams in the English Pyramid under the FA?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

What would the worst outcome be? A verdict for Vardy but with damages at £10?
    Yup, it would be the epitome of a Pyrrhic victory.

God I'm tired, I originally typed phallus victory.
  • Options

They is "Crown Dependencies". Lizzie is Head of State, but they are NOT part of the UK. Hence no MPs at Westminster.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,580
    . . . meanwhile back at the ranch . . .

Washington State "Top Two" Primary is August 2. That is, deadline for returned OR post-marked ballots is 8pm Aug 2; valid ballots can & will arrive later, and be counted up to certification which is (I think) ten days later.

For the two Republican incumbents mentioned below, Jaime Herrera Beutler (CD03) and Dan Newhouse (CD04) their immediate priority is ensuring they are one of the Top Two votegetters in the August Primary.

Seattle Times ($) - Blitz of PAC money aims to defeat Trump-backed challengers to Herrera Beutler, Newhouse

A deluge of outside PAC money is saturating two of Washington’s top congressional primaries, aimed at helping Republican Reps. Jaime Herrera Beutler and Dan Newhouse survive their votes to impeach then-President Donald Trump last year.

More than $3.4 million — fueled in part by hidden donors — has been spent in the past few weeks backing the incumbents and targeting their Trump-endorsed challengers, Joe Kent and Loren Culp, according to Federal Election Commission filings. . . .

Both Kent, who is challenging Herrera Beutler, and Culp, who is challenging Newhouse, have echoed Trump’s false claims about his 2020 election loss and reject the ongoing congressional investigation into the Jan. 6 attack as illegitimate.

In Southwest Washington’s 3rd Congressional District, where Herrera Beutler faces Kent and other challengers, $1.9 million in outside spending has boosted her chances in recent weeks — including a pop-up super PAC that timed its spending to avoid disclosing its donors until weeks after the Aug. 2 primary.

The super PAC, Conservatives for a Stronger America, was created just a few weeks ago. As of Wednesday, it had unloaded $1.4 million on TV, radio and mailers, attacking Kent and ostensibly supporting Heidi St. John, a Republican who has polled fourth in the race.

The messaging in the group’s ads appear designed to siphon support from Kent and ensure Herrera Beutler makes it through the top-two primary. Its ads have echoed St. John’s efforts to sour conservatives on Kent by branding him a leftist, “Portland Joe the Bernie bro.” (Kent has acknowledged voting for Bernie Sanders in Oregon’s 2016 presidential primary, as part of what he said was a Rush Limbaugh-inspired plan to wreak havoc on Democrats.)

A similar dynamic is at play in the 4th District, which covers Central Washington, where Newhouse faces several Republican challengers and a single Democrat in the primary. . . .

As of Wednesday, spending groups had dropped about $1.5 million into the primary, attacking Culp and supporting Newhouse — a particularly hefty sum in the largely rural congressional district.
  • Options
    Benefits are for lazy people says an audience member after saying benefits saved her mum.

Jeez.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

In this case, not. The video is of a Wagner Group Russian castrating a Uke POW with a Stanley knife, then they finally decapitate him.

I just saw a screenshot - entirely by accident - and it was enough to ice the blood. Horrific. The war will only get worse for both sides
  • Options
    God, that question about restriction of benefits to my mum...
  • Options
    Big clap when young lady mentions lazy people sitting on their bums on benefits.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

“My mum needed benefits, however all the rest should be set on fire. Will you as PM light the pyre?”

Oh here we go, it’s Last of the Summer Wine again.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,433
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

In this case, not. The video is of a Wagner Group Russian castrating a Uke POW with a Stanley knife, then they finally decapitate him.

I just saw a screenshot - entirely by accident - and it was enough to ice the blood. Horrific. The war will only get worse for both sides
    You shouldn't put that in your brain.
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Why I don't do Twitter.
    I don't need nor want to see owt like that.
  • Options
    Sunak did well there.
    Didn’t lose his rag when he was accused of stabbing Boris in the back.
  • Options
    The audience is with Liz.
  • Options
    Drunk again x
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,668
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

There was really no need to share that.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067

IshmaelZ said:

“My mum needed benefits, however all the rest should be set on fire. Will you as PM light the pyre?”

That’s not what she said at all.

Some people seem incapable of understanding true working class Tory attitudes.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

That must be the most boring police job in the UK. Maybe why? (Edit: explanation, not excuse)

I know an armed cop in Edinburgh and he goes slightly mad every time the Queen comes up.
    Being a bit bored seems a poor explanation for the sorts of things being aired during this trial.

What sort of due diligence was being done on these men? What sort of monitoring of what they were up to? None it would seem. Which is more than a touch alarming.

The problem is not just what they were saying and doing but that it risked making them a blackmail risk. And that is definitely a risk you do not want to run in a nuclear facility. People who work in such places have to be positively vetted. Or so I understand.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

I know it very well.
    I grew up among similar circs and attitudes.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Liz is really dominating this contest.
    The country will be punished.

Does anyone remember our safe word?
    Vote.
  • Options
    Oh dear. Liz doubles down on Boris love.
    I guess she knows the audience, but it’s sickening.
  • Options
    Truss promises a complete review of the tax system as every leader promises.

Same old, same old...

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,978
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Just met an old friend in primrose hill. On conditions of extreme secrecy… HE TOLD ME THE FINLAND RUMOUR

😶😶😶😶

So: it exists. This doesn’t mean it is true, of course

No he didn't because if he did you could tell us the Finnish search terms to use, without betraying your friend's confidence.
    I have heard it (I said before that I’d heard it but that was me being a troll (and also slightly jealous of those who HAD heard it))(Jesus what am I, a 16 year old girl??)

Anyway you can believe me or not. THE FINLAND RUMOUR EXISTS

I’ll say it again, this does not mean it is true, nor, even if it is true, if it would overturn Bulgarian and global politics, indeed the speeding space race, as alleged
    Not to mention ‘ …the giant rat of Sumatra, a story for which the world is not yet prepared ‘.
    It's a three pipe problem.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

IshmaelZ said:

I bet many Tory MPs are utterly astonished at what is going on here.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

My Granddad was one. Before I even went to school he had me watering down the vinegar at his chip shop.
  • Options

They is "Crown Dependencies". Lizzie is Head of State, but they are NOT part of the UK. Hence no MPs at Westminster.
    For a Lord of Man, she is quite lady like!

BONUS - Speaking of Jersey AND lady like, check out wiki bio of Royal Governor of New Jersey and New York, Edward Hyde, Lord Cornbury; subsequently 3rd Earl of Clarendon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Hyde,_3rd_Earl_of_Clarendon
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 645
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Why I don't do Twitter.
    On the other hand, I've just spent a pleasant hour on twitter reading about new science on milk-drinking, chatting to art critics, getting the latest news on cycling infrastructure in my area, and joking around with a couple of sled dog mushers and looking at sled dog pics. It is what you make it.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

Being a bit bored seems a poor explanation for the sorts of things being aired during this trial.

What sort of due diligence was being done on these men? What sort of monitoring of what they were up to? None it would seem. Which is more than a touch alarming.

The problem is not just what they were saying and doing but that it risked making them a blackmail risk. And that is definitely a risk you do not want to run in a nuclear facility. People who work in such places have to be positively vetted. Or so I understand.
    Your last para is a very good point.

My thinking was a very small, immobile team, geographically and structurally isolated from normal policing, with nothing to do, might have a larger risk of a toxic culture festering and infecting the whole lot.

This is based on the idea that the Police aren't, in general, that bad. But...
  • Options

Sunak did well there.
    Didn’t lose his rag when he was accused of stabbing Boris in the back.

That's two-ways backwards: it was Boris who stabbed Rishi in the back; then Rishi stabbed Boris in the front.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

My Granddad was one. Before I even went to school he had me watering down the vinegar at his chip shop.
    If your Granddad had a chip shop he wasn't really working class, though, more Alfred Roberts greengrocer territory.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Eabhal said:

Big clap when young lady mentions lazy people sitting on their bums on benefits.

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

My thinking was a very small, immobile team, geographically and structurally isolated from normal policing, with nothing to do, might have a larger risk of a toxic culture festering and infecting the whole lot.

Bizarrely, this happened to Marine Scotland in Thurso. They tied some poor woman to an office chair.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Why I don't do Twitter.
    On the other hand, I've just spent a pleasant hour on twitter reading about new science on milk-drinking, chatting to art critics, getting the latest news on cycling infrastructure in my area, and joking around with a couple of sled dog mushers and looking at sled dog pics. It is what you make it.
    I have a well-curated Twitter feed which brings me a varied diet of news, jokes, science, art, graphics, gifs, memes, whatever, from all quarters. I generally have to go looking for gory or porno stuff (and I generally don't go looking)

But that screenshot was from a New Statesman journalist. Dropped in my feed. Thanks but no thanks
  • Options
    This is over.

Sunak should cut a deal.

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855

You mean judgemental, self-opinionated and convinced they are right on everything.

Yes, that's not just working class or Tory.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Drunk again x

Hi Horse

I hope you won't take it amiss if I say I'm getting a bit worried, for your sake, at how much you're drinking. From bitter personal experience alcoholism is not a good thing, but if you keep imbibing like this that's where you're headed.

Maybe see if you can moderate it a bit?
  • Options

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Er, I think we can cope with words, can't we?

Get a grip
  • Options
    edited July 2022

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

If your Granddad had a chip shop he wasn't really working class, though, more Alfred Roberts greengrocer territory.
    Oh. He was. Very much so.
    The chip shop was a couple of fryers in his converted front room.
  • Options
    Truss is better with humour.

This is over imho.

It is time to get Johnson out and Truss into the No 10 wallpaper display zone.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,003
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Why I don't do Twitter.
    A few decades ago, the Sunday Times magazine had a picture of a head sitting on the ground. It had belonged to a suicide bomber in Israel, and the head had been launched up into the air and landed on its neck. The eyes were closed, peaceful.

I have seen worse online since, and seen one or two horrific things irl, but that image has stuck with me for some reason.

Another one that has stuck with me is a sailor after a U-boat attack in WW2. The photo was taken from the U-Boat, and shows the sole survivor of the ship standing on a crate. They left him there, presumably to die from starvation or drowning. My granddad served on ships in DEMS during the war, so that piccie really got to me. The poor man.
  • Options

This is over.

Sunak should cut a deal.

I don’t agree. It’s to go to the party members so they get ownership.
  • Options

Drunk again x

Honestly mate, go easy. Personally I have a glass or two of wine from time to time, but I never get tight. Seen too much of it. And aren't you working?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,405

Arizona Republican Governor Doug Ducey is proposing to solve the state's water shortages with desalination:
    "The plan includes helping fund the building of a desalination plant in the Sea of Cortez in Mexico. The state would not own the plant but would buy water from it. Buschatzke estimates the cost to build the plant would be in the neighborhood of $2.5-3 billion."
    source: https://ktar.com/story/5042317/gov-doug-duceys-plan-to-use-desalinated-water-in-arizona-will-be-pricey-expert-says/

As I recall, Mexico would get part of the water from the plant, and that part of Mexico needs water, too.

Ducey has been trying to learn from the experts: https://www.jpost.com/business-and-innovation/energy-and-infrastructure/article-708201

(I don't know enough about the economics of such plants to judge how much sense this proposal makes. Or whether we can look forward to further decreases in the costs of desalination. But it is interesting.)

Politically it is the only solution. Getting people to give up their sacred right to water that doesn’t exist, isn’t going to happen.

Making more fresh water is the only real answer.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Got my Dalle invite. What nonsense shit do people want to see images of?
  • Options

This is over imho.

She is getting a much easier ride than Sunak, and she is relaxed enough to joke a bit.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Leon pegged with Truss
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,949
    Alistair said:

Leon being abducted by an alien.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Benefits are for lazy people says an audience member after saying benefits saved her mum.

Jeez.

This brings me to my favourite conundrum - what do we do with the Universal Credit taper?

The marginal rate of tax is exceptionally high for someone on benefits. Often, the lower rate of income tax, national insurance, the UC taper and, especially in Scotland, a whole host of benefits that piggy back on UC eligibility (Scottish child payment etc).

For someone at the margin, the tax rate can be well over 100%.

We should fix it, especially in such a tight labour market. But if we decrease the taper, we bring thousands of people back into Universal Credit, at massive cost.

I think the answer is much higher tax allowances for having children (offsetting the large UC awards for kids), and perhaps for disability too.
  • Options
    I mean, whisper it, but Truss is increasingly good at this. I think she’s demonstrated in this campaign that if she wins she won’t be any sort of pushover for Labour.

https://twitter.com/RobBurl/status/1552743980697370624
  • Options
    Christ. I may need to phone my GP but I am beginning to warm to Truss.

• Options
    Alistair said:

I'd love to see an image of 'a once in a generation opportunity'.
  • Options

This is over imho.

She is getting a much easier ride than Sunak, and she is relaxed enough to joke a bit.
    Yeah definitely outperforming on the upside. And this Moving whips office back to 12 Downing Street stuff sounds really authoritative and thought out.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

This is over imho.

Yeah definitely outperforming on the upside. And this Moving whips office back to 12 Downing Street stuff sounds really authoritative and thought out.
    ROFLMAO.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear...
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Get a grip
    Maybe I just have a vivid ability to visualise; I find descriptions can sear into my brain. You should appreciate that as a writer.

But perhaps, I'm a bit odd that way.

Fair enough if no one else is bothered.
  • Options
    This is truly over.

Unless someone comes up with some massive scandal Truss has won.

Between gritted teeth i admit she is better at the Q &A than Sunak.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Christ. I may need to phone my GP but I am beginning to warm to Truss.

Liz is strident and perhaps a bit batty, but she comes across as someone more relatable.

“I know it well,” she says of Seacroft, in Leeds.

Rishi probably spent last night cribbing the fact that Leeds is in Yorkshire.
  • Options
    Developers may be prevented from starting projects in west London until 2035 because the electricity grid has run out of capacity to power new homes.

The Greater London Authority (GLA) told developers this week that it may take more than a decade for grid capacity to be increased to sustain new developments in Hillingdon, Ealing and Hounslow.

The boroughs accounted for about 11 per cent of London’s housing supply in 2019-20.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/grid-has-no-power-for-new-homes-in-west-london-until-2035-qnrn065cb
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Did you lot see this? Ms Truss - or at least her Dept - seemingly involved in a diplomatic row.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2022/jul/28/uk-in-diplomatic-standoff-over-deletion-of-abortion-rights-from-gender-statement

You won't get global agreement to abortion on demand etc especially from Africa, Latin America and much of Asia and Eastern Europe and as we have recently seen, the US
    So?

Are you still in favour of denying abortion to victims of rape, as my memory seems to recall?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Why I don't do Twitter.
    A few decades ago, the Sunday Times magazine had a picture of a head sitting on the ground. It had belonged to a suicide bomber in Israel, and the head had been launched up into the air and landed on its neck. The eyes were closed, peaceful.

I have seen worse online since, and seen one or two horrific things irl, but that image has stuck with me for some reason.

Another one that has stuck with me is a sailor after a U-boat attack in WW2. The photo was taken from the U-Boat, and shows the sole survivor of the ship standing on a crate. They left him there, presumably to die from starvation or drowning. My granddad served on ships in DEMS during the war, so that piccie really got to me. The poor man.
    The video of HMS Barham exploding got me more than I expected.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Get a grip
    SOP for the Wagner group.
    There are similar, and worse from them in Syria. Evil, degraded people.

Torture has been routine in occupied Donbas since 2014.

• Options
    IshmaelZ said:

This is over imho.

Yes, it’s the sort of thing impossible to dream up from a million-pound machine-learnt focus group a la Rishi.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,995

My business is in Arizona, and I have nothing but good things to say about Governor Ducey.

Whoever wins in November, the State is likely to become a less business friendly place.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Alistair said:

Not going to lie, first thought was Leon based.

I'm never going to reveal the prompt though

And then I did the prompt where Leon thought Dalle-2 had displayed incredible word play and I suggested it had just fluked the ordering of some letters

"serious tyrannosaurus rex announcing the dinosaur extinction on cable news, tv broadcast"

• Options
    Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

Eabhal said:

Cyclefree said:

Indeed. You have only to think about how just about every Special Forces unit in every military ends up is some ghastly scandal.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    An extremely powerful first hand experience in The Telegraph around the gender identity stuff here:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/07/28/had-gone-gender-transition-would-have-committed-suicide/

Her experience with the NHS gender service is extremely worrying and disheartening. It's almost as if they are putting these ideas in the heads of patients and egging them on to take the next step, then the next one until something irreversible is suggested and the patient either has no way back or no way out.

This is just one woman speaking out, how many cases already went too far and are sadly no longer here because it was all too much to handle after making some irreversible step towards something that wasn't necessarily the correct one with no way back.
  • Options
    Question from Tadcaster.

The town which produces the finest ale in england.

Yay!
  • Options

Question from Tadcaster.

Yay!

No. Always gives me a hangover.
  • Options

Alistair said:

I'd love to see an image of 'a once in a generation opportunity'.
    I simply can't choose between any of these incredible representations. How can I post only one?

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,759
    Alistair said:

kyf_100 said:

Alistair said:

Not going to lie, first thought was Leon based.

I'm never going to reveal the prompt though

And then I did the prompt where Leon thought Dalle-2 had displayed incredible word play and I suggested it had just fluked the ordering of some letters

"serious tyrannosaurus rex announcing the dinosaur extinction on cable news, tv broadcast"

Crap. As any 7 year old fule kno, Tyrannosaurus only has two digits on each manus.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Get a grip
    SOP for the Wagner group.
    There are similar, and worse from them in Syria. Evil, degraded people.

Torture has been routine in occupied Donbas since 2014.

Given their boss likes SS badges etc, it’s not surprising that they are bit Oskar Dirlewanger…
  • Options

Question from Tadcaster.

Yay!

No. Always gives me a hangover.
    A quantity issue or a quality issue? :smiley:
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    League of Gentlemen have infiltrated this audience in parts.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

Cyclefree said:

Sandpit said:

Predict win for Rooney. There is a narrow gap between the rocks for her case to prevail, but I think it will. It will turn, indirectly, on what the judge makes of the absent bits of evidence.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

This is over imho.

ROFLMAO.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear...
    Learning to love their new leader.
    A couple of weeks back, and only Barty had a good word to say for her. Power is indeed an aphrodisiac.
This discussion has been closed.