Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Do the Tories know what they are getting with Truss? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,417

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

Golly where did this pegging thing come from?

I cannot believe it is open season on all that with both parties named everywhere on twitter, but the Finnish Allegation is too dire to mention

What's pegging?
    A rite of passage of every rugby player and every privately educated guy.
    An unfortunate choice of phrase.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Is there any evidence this Finnish thing exists at all?
    It seems to be like the Great Southern Continent or Prester John.
    Everyone believing it is there, but nobody ever seeing it.

I'm not on here obsessively enough to keep up with the Finnish thing.

Has it got anything to do with pegging?
    Your guess is as good as mine. If it were big enough to bring the government down, it is astonishing no other foreign media has noticed it.
    Nor any English-speaking foreigners on Twitter, not even those in the land of the first amendment.
    Well quite.
    Has anyone at all seen the Finland story? A simple yes will suffice.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

The Finnish thing is so shocking, about the degenerate behaviour about a senior Tory.

Apparently they put pineapple on their pizzas.

And what's wrong with that?

Some people are SOOOOOOOOOO narrow minded, honestly...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

I cannot believe it is open season on all that with both parties named everywhere on twitter, but the Finnish Allegation is too dire to mention

What's pegging?
    Leadership Hustings in Leeds and you aren't there live commenting?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,926
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What's pegging?
    It supposedly originated in the practice of preparing young boys in India during the empire for an incoming British chap by loosening them on special wooden pegs.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

If Truss wins the leadership will she command the confidence of a majority of the parliamentary party? If not, then what?

Yes she will.
    The Tory Party loves nothing more than a good unite.
    However. If things get rocky, it would come unstuck much quicker.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

It's amusing that a forum where, a few hours ago, posters were up in arms about women's rights, now features posts concerning rumours and sexual tittle-tattle about a female candidate, where the make candidate goes unremarked. Often from the same posters.

It must be the *correct* form of sexism...

Some years ago, I recall a hilarious attempt by some quite left wing activists to out a Tory Cabinet Minister as gay.

To add to the comedy, it was Alan Duncan. Who was, of course, open about his sexuality.

As I understood it, they believed this was all fine, since he was a Tory.
    In certain Conservative circles in my youth it was considered unusual if you weren't gay.
    Is it true that Conservative Central Office once hired a man who *wasn’t* gay?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    edited July 2022
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

I assumed from "switch" appearing twice that this was a TSE header

The question is whether she will have a cabinet willing serve under her.

I wonder who will be the chief whip.
    We also have the identity of the Prince of Pegging to speculate about.
    Pretty easily found on twitter!

It could make those weekly meetings at the Palace rather more interesting when PM Truss is calling.
    Amusing as the rumour is, the whole thing has a very strong whiff of the old "I know it’s not true, but let’s make the sonofabitch deny it” story about Lyndon B Johnson.

One wonders if Meghan reads Hunter S Thompson?
    I thought the rumoured Prince in question was her husband?
    Nope it's the one who will be King..
    It isn't. The rumour in question has long been on the Internet about the Ginger one, whatever some Meghan diehards are trying to trend today
    The MM troll farm is having a busy week, anything to detract from Tom Bower’s book.
    I have discovered that there is a crowd of fervent pro-Meghanites on Twitter who refer to themselves as the “Squad”.

Sorry if this is old news.

They are enthusiastically spreading the pegging rumour while at the same time accusing Kensington Palace of falsely blaming it on pro-Meghanite forces.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,167
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    Outside Leeds Tory hustings, I spoke to Nathan Hull, Tory councillor who was the year below Liz Truss at Roundhay comp in Leeds, the school she says failed lots of her contemporaries. He says she is straightforwardly wrong. Worth watching

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1552709819798355970
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,994

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What's pegging?
    I went to both state and private schools, and did not encounter it. Since I spent about half my time in both the state and private sectors, does that mean the rite of passage should have been being 'half-pegged' ? ;)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What's pegging?
    I went to both state and private schools, and did not encounter it. Since I spent about half my time in both the state and private sectors, does that mean the rite of passage should have been being 'half-pegged' ? ;)
    That joke went off at half cock.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

It could make those weekly meetings at the Palace rather more interesting when PM Truss is calling.
    Amusing as the rumour is, the whole thing has a very strong whiff of the old "I know it’s not true, but let’s make the sonofabitch deny it” story about Lyndon B Johnson.

It isn't. The rumour in question has long been on the Internet about the Ginger one, whatever some Meghan diehards are trying to trend today
    What an extraordinary thing for a christian, monarchist, elected tory politician to know. I shall laugh like a drain if William and his issue step aside in a 1936 moment and Megs ascends to the throne.
    Of course they won't and in any case Meghan seems to be focusing more on her deluded ambition to be President in 2024

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/972686-meghan-markle-is-being-mentored-by-sevela-politicians-for-2024-presidency
    Imagine a head of one's church who permitted someone else's wife to do that to him...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    Live feed of hustings for any gluttons for punishment:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-3l9UDELtnk&feature=youtu.be
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

It's amusing that a forum where, a few hours ago, posters were up in arms about women's rights, now features posts concerning rumours and sexual tittle-tattle about a female candidate, where the make candidate goes unremarked. Often from the same posters.

Well I have tittle tattle about Sunak's sexuality if that's what's bothering you. Though personally I have no idea whether it's true and it doesn't reflect badly on him in any event. IMO
    You appear to have tittle-tattle on lots of people in Westminster. Perhaps you ought to consider that the 'tittle-tattle' might be the same as Lord McAlpine's, which he suffered for many years before it was proved wrong.

I'd have thought a top lawyer such as yourself would have realised that.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,215

Outside Leeds Tory hustings, I spoke to Nathan Hull, Tory councillor who was the year below Liz Truss at Roundhay comp in Leeds, the school she says failed lots of her contemporaries. He says she is straightforwardly wrong. Worth watching

Continuity Johnson. Lying to get into high office?

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What's pegging?
    It's hard to tell, but I think what TSE is hinting at is male-on-male sodomy, whereas the point of pegging is that the pegger is usually female.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992
    Talk if Dorries goes to the Lords, Boris would take her seat
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What's pegging?
    That joke went off at half cock.
    'Half cock'? A bit like Babs in League of Gentlemen. But that's what happens if you use Dr Chinnery ...

(Yes, this is a very old reference...)
  • Options

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

The MM troll farm is having a busy week, anything to detract from Tom Bower’s book.
    I have discovered that there is a crowd of fervent pro-Meghanites on Twitter who refer to themselves as the “Squad”.

They are enthusiastically spreading the pegging rumour while at the same time accusing Kensington Palace of falsely blaming it on pro-Meghanite forces.
    This isn't EVERYTHING that's wrong with the world since 2007, but it's quite a lot of it.
  • Options

Oh, have they started that already? I assumed they'd do some politics first.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,568
    PUBLIC TRANSIT SAGA & BEATING THE HEAT

Here in the great Evergreen State of Washington, we're experiencing what for us is a heat wave. For past two days temps in Seattle have been in low 90sF /approx 33C and does NOT get as cool as usual. Especially my humble abode. And above-average highs (and lows) are expected to last through Sunday morning.

SO decided to take a road trip to Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island about 65 miles north of Seattle on east side of Puget Sound, via four transit systems, five buses and one ferry ride (one way, then repeat for return). Total cost there & back was under $10, partly due to geezer discounts but also because buses on Whidbey Is are free with zero fares

Took 4 hours each direction, went up Tuesday, stayed at cheap motel, then came back Wednesday. Reason I went up to Oak Harbor, is because it is just east of the Strait of Juan da Fuca, which means that cool air from the North Pacific has a clear path eastward NOT blocked by the Olympic Mountains or by Vancouver Island. Thus it was nearly 20 degrees Fahrenheit cooler yesterday in OH than in Seattle.

Also didn't hurt that all the buses were air conditioned. As was (naturally) the ferry ride between Whidbey Is at Clinton, and mainland at Mukilteo. Small distance, short ferry ride (just 20 min one way) but fun - and cool.

Also fun is the bus ride up the island to Oak Harbor, which is site of Whidbey Island Naval Air station (made famous by "Top Gun"). Whidbey is a long, narrow island, carved like Puget Sound during last ice ages, and for most part quite rural. Nice contrast to the suburban sprawl from Seattle to Mukilteo.

TOMORROW my plan for beating the heat is is to travel up the OTHER side of Puget Sound to Port Townsend, this time via three bus systems and another WA State ferry, from Seattle to Bainbridge Island. Attraction of Port Townsend is that it is a scenic, historic small town AND it's right at southeastern end of Strait of Juan da Fuca, so it also getting cool winds from the Pacific. Will go to PT early, then return later in the day.

For Saturday may take yet another ferry ride, this time a long one to Bremerton and a reservation at air-conditioned seafood restaurant.

BTW, this AM a WA State ferry crossing Puget Sound crashed at the dock at Fauntleroy in west Seattle, tearing up the front of the boat AND several cars that were making the trip and were parked at the head of the line. No body hurt, but is gonna mess up the ferry schedule (which already has issues) and is generating a LOT of local interest, esp. from the MANY commuters depending on this route.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    HYUFD said:

Boris entering Nadine's seat would be an interesting reversal.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,147
    Just met an old friend in primrose hill. On conditions of extreme secrecy… HE TOLD ME THE FINLAND RUMOUR

😶😶😶😶

So: it exists. This doesn’t mean it is true, of course
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Are we talking pegging again?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334

Some years ago, I recall a hilarious attempt by some quite left wing activists to out a Tory Cabinet Minister as gay.

To add to the comedy, it was Alan Duncan. Who was, of course, open about his sexuality.

In certain Conservative circles in my youth it was considered unusual if you weren't gay.
    I must say that on the list of things we might be concerned about with regard to Truss and Sunak, what they do in bed scores an absolute zero. It's what they do when they get up that's perhaps worrying.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,373
    HYUFD said:

That is impossible, surely? Boris already has a seat and he cannot have two. He'd need to resign as MP and then hope to be selected for the post-Nad by-election. It is absurd.
  • Options
    THE FINLAND RUMOUR is actually a cracking title for a political thriller
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Wow. What a by election (actually two) that would be.
    Hang on. Wouldn't he have to resign Uxbridge first, then be selected?
    Silly me. Rules don't apply of course.
  • Options

Here in the great Evergreen State of Washington, we're experiencing what for us is a heat wave. For past two days temps in Seattle have been in low 90sF /approx 33C and does NOT get as cool as usual. Especially my humble abode. And above-average highs (and lows) are expected to last through Sunday morning.

SO decided to take a road trip to Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island about 65 miles north of Seattle on east side of Puget Sound, via four transit systems, five buses and one ferry ride (one way, then repeat for return). Total cost there & back was under $10, partly due to geezer discounts but also because buses on Whidbey Is are free with zero fares

Took 4 hours each direction, went up Tuesday, stayed at cheap motel, then came back Wednesday. Reason I went up to Oak Harbor, is because it is just east of the Strait of Juan da Fuca, which means that cool air from the North Pacific has a clear path eastward NOT blocked by the Olympic Mountains or by Vancouver Island. Thus it was nearly 20 degrees Fahrenheit cooler yesterday in OH than in Seattle.

Also didn't hurt that all the buses were air conditioned. As was (naturally) the ferry ride between Whidbey Is at Clinton, and mainland at Mukilteo. Small distance, short ferry ride (just 20 min one way) but fun - and cool.

Also fun is the bus ride up the island to Oak Harbor, which is site of Whidbey Island Naval Air station (made famous by "Top Gun"). Whidbey is a long, narrow island, carved like Puget Sound during last ice ages, and for most part quite rural. Nice contrast to the suburban sprawl from Seattle to Mukilteo.

TOMORROW my plan for beating the heat is is to travel up the OTHER side of Puget Sound to Port Townsend, this time via three bus systems and another WA State ferry, from Seattle to Bainbridge Island. Attraction of Port Townsend is that it is a scenic, historic small town AND it's right at southeastern end of Strait of Juan da Fuca, so it also getting cool winds from the Pacific. Will go to PT early, then return later in the day.

For Saturday may take yet another ferry ride, this time a long one to Bremerton and a reservation at air-conditioned seafood restaurant.

BTW, this AM a WA State ferry crossing Puget Sound crashed at the dock at Fauntleroy in west Seattle, tearing up the front of the boat AND several cars that were making the trip and were parked at the head of the line. No body hurt, but is gonna mess up the ferry schedule (which already has issues) and is generating a LOT of local interest, esp. from the MANY commuters depending on this route.

Climate porn

https://thehill.com/changing-america/sustainability/climate-change/3573535-nasa-photos-show-dramatic-shrinking-of-lake-mead/
  • Options

I must say that on the list of things we might be concerned about with regard to Truss and Sunak, what they do in bed scores an absolute zero. It's what they do when they get up that's perhaps worrying.
    Wha-hey!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to find it on the Internet.
    Or anywhere else.
    Apart from via a mysterious acquaintance on Primrose Hill. Not much of a market.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    New US centrist party 'Forward' created by former Democratic Presidential and Mayoral candidate Andrew Yang and former New Jersey Republican governor Christine Todd Whitman. Sounds like a US version of ChangeUK
    https://nypost.com/2022/07/28/andrew-yang-christine-todd-whitman-make-forward-third-party/
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

You can be elected for more than one seat at a time, but AIUI you can only be sworn into one at a time. Charles Fox, for example, was elected for both Kirkwall and Westminster in 1784.

So I think in theory he could be elected and *then* resign Uxbridge before being sworn in.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Just met an old friend in primrose hill. On conditions of extreme secrecy… HE TOLD ME THE FINLAND RUMOUR

😶😶😶😶

No he didn't because if he did you could tell us the Finnish search terms to use, without betraying your friend's confidence.
  • Options
    Leon said:

We used to have a novelist on pb but she resigned from parliament and moved to New York.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058

Continuity Johnson. Lying to get into high office?
    The arguments against Truss over this - that Thatcher was in charge and that it wasn’t a bad school anyway - don’t really stack up. You can draw conclusions about what an excellent education system would be like from experiencing an adequate system and you can’t second-guess what was important in the development of Truss’s own thinking.
  • Options
    Finnish by name, finish by nature is my take

Commenting on Royal occasions is going to be a minefield in future, you need to be very careful how you convey that someone is fundamentally (fnaaar) unsuited to the role they have been put in, or that two competing parties are equal on the scoreboard.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

You can be elected for more than one seat at a time, but AIUI you can only be sworn into one at a time. Charles Fox, for example, was elected for both Kirkwall and Westminster in 1784.

So I think in theory he could be elected and *then* resign Uxbridge before being sworn in.
    Surely the new leader would have to be mad off their head to allow that?
    Oh.
    That would be a certain Labour gain in Uxbridge. They'd feel like one of his ex-wives.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    edited July 2022

Leon said:

We used to have a novelist on pb but she resigned from parliament and moved to New York.
    Oh God, don’t menschun her. I spent a month knocking doors and posting leaflets for that b***h in 2010, only for her to not be arsed to actually engage with the job of an MP, and flounce off to the States leaving a by-election defeat in her wake.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205

Cyclefree said:

Well I have tittle tattle about Sunak's sexuality if that's what's bothering you. Though personally I have no idea whether it's true and it doesn't reflect badly on him in any event. IMO
    You appear to have tittle-tattle on lots of people in Westminster. Perhaps you ought to consider that the 'tittle-tattle' might be the same as Lord McAlpine's, which he suffered for many years before it was proved wrong.

Don't be so pompous. Which bit of "I have no idea whether it's true and it doesn't reflect badly on him in any event. IMO." did you not understand?

It's not been me sharing rumours about Ms Truss either. And what I have heard about her is not at all what has been shared on here.

I am well aware of how harmful unsubstantiated allegations can be. I have pointed this out both in relation to Prince Andrew BTL and in thread headers in relation to the very great harm done by the police over malicious allegations of child abuse.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,853
    IshmaelZ said:
    Unfortunately also due to the incredible demands of Las Vegas and the growth of urban areas in Nevada, Arizona and even desert Southern California.

The water solution is a huge challenge for Vegas and its water-guzzling hotels - they are very strong on recycling (or re-use as they call it) but it's a huge long-term challenge.

The irony is Vegas is the Spanish word for meadows and when first discovered was actually quite green.
  • Options

Leon said:

😶😶😶😶

No he didn't because if he did you could tell us the Finnish search terms to use, without betraying your friend's confidence.
    I have heard it (I said before that I’d heard it but that was me being a troll (and also slightly jealous of those who HAD heard it))(Jesus what am I, a 16 year old girl??)

Anyway you can believe me or not. THE FINLAND RUMOUR EXISTS

I’ll say it again, this does not mean it is true, nor, even if it is true, if it would overturn Bulgarian and global politics, indeed the speeding space race, as alleged
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,076

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Ryanair joined the Squad?

• Options
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Oh.
    That would be a certain Labour gain in Uxbridge. They'd feel like one of his ex-wives.
    Aaaand we're back to pegging again...
  • Options

We can but hope that the moderator's brain won't explode out of a) boredom or b) incredulity.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Oh God, don’t menschun her. I spent a month knocking doors and posting leaflets for that b***h in 2010, only for her to not be arsed to actually engage with the job of an MP, and flounce off to the States leaving a by-election defeat in her wake.
    She’s become a bit of a conspiracy theorist now, so maybe there is a link to the Finland Rumour.

• Options

Betfair next prime minister
    1.18 Liz Truss 85%
    6.8 Rishi Sunak 15%

Next Conservative leader
    1.17 Liz Truss 85%
    7 Rishi Sunak 14%

Immediately before tonight's hustings.

1.17 Liz Truss 85%
    6.8 Rishi Sunak 15%

Next Conservative leader
    1.17 Liz Truss 85%
    7 Rishi Sunak 14%
  • Options
    stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:
    Unfortunately also due to the incredible demands of Las Vegas and the growth of urban areas in Nevada, Arizona and even desert Southern California.

The water solution is a huge challenge for Vegas and its water-guzzling hotels - they are very strong on recycling (or re-use as they call it) but it's a huge long-term challenge.

The irony is Vegas is the Spanish word for meadows and when first discovered was actually quite green.
    One quarter of LA's water is from the Colorado...
  • Options
    stodge said:

We can but hope that the moderator's brain won't explode out of a) boredom or b) incredulity.
    It's Nick Ferrari
  • Options
    Leon said:

If we could weave in some banking scandals as well (I'll provide the plot and knowhow, you can provide the sex) we have the next big drama. Which can make us all millionaires. Well me, hopefully.

Then we can have an outrageously sybaritic PB party on a Cumbrian beach before aliens come to annihilate us all.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

If we could weave in some banking scandals as well (I'll provide the plot and knowhow, you can provide the sex) we have the next big drama. Which can make us all millionaires. Well me, hopefully.

Then we can have an outrageously sybaritic PB party on a Cumbrian beach before aliens come to annihilate us all.
    I'll provide awesome puns for a 20% share.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

Indeed and that's another huge answer of concern.

I checked and 90% of Vegas's water comes from the Colorado via Lake Mead.

The Colorado supply is also used for irrigation across California, Nevada and Arizona - the apportionment of which was, as I recall, decided by a contentious agreement between the states.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

With apologies to Sandpit, the aMP from Northamptonshire who must not be named was on pb? What did she post as? I can't work out if I knew this or not?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,173
    HYUFD said:

Is that some kind of euphamism?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited July 2022
    stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

At maximum capacity, water levels at the Hoover Dam would reach an elevation of 1,220 feet above sea level and would hold 9.3 trillion gallons of water. Water elevation at the end of July 2000 was less than 1,200 feet above sea level. According to the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, water levels dropped to 1,041 feet. Water levels need to stay above 1,000 feet to continue operating hydropower turbines at the dam at optimal levels.

Hoover Dam: Annual generation 3.3 TWh !

Also further to my wind numbers earlier..

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/621400/Detailed_value_for_money_assessment.pdf

Strike price comparators used: £71/MWH onshore wind, £91/MWH Offshore wind...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Oh.
    "Pegging" for me is what you do with string and.... er.... pegs when marking out a bed (for plants - Please!) in a garden.

I assume that's not what we're talking about here......
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,525
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

stodge said:

It's Nick Ferrari
    Well then, I'd price it up as:

10/11 Boredom
    Evens Incredulity
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,568
    IshmaelZ said:

Climate porn

https://thehill.com/changing-america/sustainability/climate-change/3573535-nasa-photos-show-dramatic-shrinking-of-lake-mead/
    Yes, that was also story in NYT a couple days ago, Lake Mead is at lowest level since it was created in 1930s by construction of Hoover Dam. HUGE problem for entire Southwest US re: available water supply esp. for agriculture AND the insatiable step-maw that is El Lay.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

At maximum capacity, water levels at the Hoover Dam would reach an elevation of 1,220 feet above sea level and would hold 9.3 trillion gallons of water. Water elevation at the end of July 2000 was less than 1,200 feet above sea level. According to the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, water levels dropped to 1,041 feet. Water levels need to stay above 1,000 feet to continue operating hydropower turbines at the dam at optimal levels.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/621400/Detailed_value_for_money_assessment.pdf

They will presumably die of thirst before they die of lack of power. Though aircon i suppose...
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Oh.
    "Pegging" for me is what you do with string and.... er.... pegs when marking out a bed (for plants - Please!) in a garden.

As always, Cyclefree, you rose to the occasion.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If he can't emulate Churchill's legacy, he cam at least have a go at emulating the number of seats he represented.
  • Options
    stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

The Colorado supply is also used for irrigation across California, Nevada and Arizona - the apportionment of which was, as I recall, decided by a contentious agreement between the states.
    LA not LV

"It'll vary a little bit depending if you're in Los Angeles versus Orange County versus San Diego. But on average, we get about a quarter of our water from the Colorado River," Ulibarri said.

https://laist.com/news/climate-environment/what-the-startling-low-water-levels-in-lake-mead-mean-for-la
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Don't be so pompous. Which bit of "I have no idea whether it's true and it doesn't reflect badly on him in any event. IMO." did you not understand?

It's not been me sharing rumours about Ms Truss either. And what I have heard about her is not at all what has been shared on here.

I am well aware of how harmful unsubstantiated allegations can be. I have pointed this out both in relation to Prince Andrew BTL and in thread headers in relation to the very great harm done by the police over malicious allegations of child abuse.
    It's not being pompous. You say you're aware of how harmful unsubstantiated rumours can be then say on several occasions that you know things - but you can't possible say them on here about individuals you name.

If you can't say them, don't mention them.

Back in 1997, a friend took me around parliament. He was doing a summer placement with a new MP after Blair's victory. During that visit, he told me about some tittle-tattle he had heard about McAlpine. He thought that would be of interest to me due to the connection with the civ eng giant.

McAlpine had to live with those 'rumours' being spread behind his back for at least fifteen years. Nudge-nudge, wink-wink.

It's not just the police: it's everyone on-line.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Oh.

I thought it was to do with cribbage.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What's pegging?
    It's hard to tell, but I think what TSE is hinting at is male-on-male sodomy, whereas the point of pegging is that the pegger is usually female.
    Mine was a mixed school. ;)
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328

1.18 Liz Truss 85%
    6.8 Rishi Sunak 15%

Next Conservative leader
    1.17 Liz Truss 85%
    7 Rishi Sunak 14%

1.17 Liz Truss 85%
    6.8 Rishi Sunak 15%

Next Conservative leader
    1.17 Liz Truss 85%
    7 Rishi Sunak 14%
    Got to the point now where I hope she drifts so I can back her some more.
  • Options
    stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

John Oliver did a piece on the Colorado water problem last month:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jtxew5XUVbQ

He was actually quite positive about Las Vegas, which has reduced its dependence on the river, and mandates water recycling in the city.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

They will presumably die of thirst before they die of lack of power. Though aircon i suppose...
    I realised you meant Los Angeles so edited my initial response. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough for some dimwit who jumped in with both feet as per usual.
  • Options
    Everything any of us say now is going to be fiercely scrutinised for telling innuendo. I for one am tempted to zip my mouth for good, even if these rumours do have the ring of truth
  • Options
    stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

The real problem is

1) the water rights carve up in the US/Mexico turned out to be based on very unusual flows of water. There is less water to be shared than everyone has been promised. As a right.
    2) US farmers growing crops like almonds that demand ridiculous amounts of water. In the fucking desert.
  • Options

1.18 Liz Truss 85%
    6.8 Rishi Sunak 15%

Next Conservative leader
    1.17 Liz Truss 85%
    7 Rishi Sunak 14%

1.17 Liz Truss 85%
    6.8 Rishi Sunak 15%

Next Conservative leader
    1.17 Liz Truss 85%
    7 Rishi Sunak 14%
    Got to the point now where I hope she drifts so I can back her some more.
    "drifts"???

lol. CHORTLE. Good one
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,718
    Leon said:

Everything any of us say now is going to be fiercely scrutinised for telling innuendo. I for one am tempted to zip my mouth for good, even if these rumours do have the ring of truth

Even innuendo is innuendo by the sound of it.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

The world ending on a Cumbrian beach brings to mind short lived 1990 sitcom 'Not with a bang' which was set up your way - for years I thought I had dreamed this as no-one else in real life seemed to remember it.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_with_a_Bang
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 781
    Sandpit said:

stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

He was actually quite positive about Las Vegas, which has reduced its dependence on the river, and mandates water recycling in the city.
    There was a book called The Water Knife by Paolo Baccigalupi. All about the fight for water and the rights over that water in a near future America. I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,718
    Did you lot see this? Ms Truss - or at least her Dept - seemingly involved in a diplomatic row.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2022/jul/28/uk-in-diplomatic-standoff-over-deletion-of-abortion-rights-from-gender-statement
  • Options
    If tonight's hustings does last for two hours then perhaps we might get past tax cuts and onto some of the other issues facing the country.

Racing fans will be familiar with Cheltenham previews where trainers, jockeys and pundits spend two hours on the championship races where everyone made up their minds in January and only five minutes on the handicaps.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

I've not been to Vegas for some years - last time was 2016 - but even then they were pushing environmental and water-saving measures strongly. I think the question is whether the water supply situation in any way restricts the further expansion of The Strip, Downtown or places like Henderson and Boulder.

There are many other areas in the world where water supply is a big and growing question - hopefully we are seeing some technological solutions which will mitigate the risk of these becoming serious questions and possibly flashpoints for future resource conflicts this century.

Some tend to look at environmental issues in terms of energy supply and pollution but I'd argue access to clean water and the supply of water to fast-growing cities are themselves serious issues of concern and for debate.

Instead, we crap on about Truss, Sunak and some "rumour" - tedious.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

How recent are the onshore vs offshore numbers? I’ve heard it said that the overall cost has (or is about to) cross over, due to the ability of the offshore to use the latest mega turbines. Which are much more cost efficient than the smaller turbines for onshore - limited both politically and practically.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

It's not being pompous. You say you're aware of how harmful unsubstantiated rumours can be then say on several occasions that you know things - but you can't possible say them on here about individuals you name.

Back in 1997, a friend took me around parliament. He was doing a summer placement with a new MP after Blair's victory. During that visit, he told me about some tittle-tattle he had heard about McAlpine. He thought that would be of interest to me due to the connection with the civ eng giant.

McAlpine had to live with those 'rumours' being spread behind his back for at least fifteen years. Nudge-nudge, wink-wink.

Try reading what I wrote rather than what you think I wrote.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    Leon said:

Is there a sweepstake on how many minutes that will last?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Actually a perfectly valid point. The natural innuendo of "tittle tattle about Sunak's sexuality" is: non-standard, probably gay ("sex life" would have different implications). The gloss about "doesn't reflect badly on him in any event. IMO" gets nobody anywhere, because opinion about these things is notoriously subjective, and people of a different religion and culture, like frinstance him, his parents, wife and in laws, might react completely differently. Nor does hinting at a libel and then saying "but I don't know if it is true" get you any further than "innocent face."

Thinking about it, I think there's a defamation action in that post. But not to worry, who knows whether he can afford to sue?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Try reading what I wrote rather than what you think I wrote.
    I did, thanks. Now, how about a proper response?
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

They think they are getting continuity BoZo.

Truss will say anything to anybody to win the vote, then spectacularly fail to deliver any of it.

Crash and burn, perhaps within the year

I doubt she will crash and burn to the point that she is replaced before a General Election (she will need to doing seriously badly for the risk of replacing her to be worth it) but I suspect Labour will drop a few percentage during a short honeymoon period but be back to 10% leads before March next year.
    It’s why the best chance of a GE win is to go to the country in October this year. Won’t happen but she (Truss) probably won’t win if she holds on to 2024/25.

• Options
    Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

The world ending on a Cumbrian beach brings to mind short lived 1990 sitcom 'Not with a bang' which was set up your way - for years I thought I had dreamed this as no-one else in real life seemed to remember it.
    I recently listened to The Stranding on BBC iPlayer about 2 people on a beach as the world is rocked by some sort of nuclear annihilation and survive by climbing into the mouth of a whale.

I rather liked it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited July 2022

Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

IshmaelZ said:

How recent are the onshore vs offshore numbers? I’ve heard it said that the overall cost has (or is about to) cross over, due to the ability of the offshore to use the latest mega turbines. Which are much more cost efficient than the smaller turbines for onshore - limited both politically and practically.
    Offshore wind slightly cheaper strike price, but the projects take much longer to throw up.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Sandpit said:

I've not been to Vegas for some years - last time was 2016 - but even then they were pushing environmental and water-saving measures strongly. I think the question is whether the water supply situation in any way restricts the further expansion of The Strip, Downtown or places like Henderson and Boulder.

There are many other areas in the world where water supply is a big and growing question - hopefully we are seeing some technological solutions which will mitigate the risk of these becoming serious questions and possibly flashpoints for future resource conflicts this century.

Some tend to look at environmental issues in terms of energy supply and pollution but I'd argue access to clean water and the supply of water to fast-growing cities are themselves serious issues of concern and for debate.

India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and China are all very reliant on water from glaciers that are melting much too fast.

That's what, 30-40% of the world's population that could lose access to water?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Brilliant thread on Russia, communism, poverty, cities, supplies, Moscow and the Uke war

"Die Fürstenstadt

There was a Soviet joke:

- What is long, green and smells with sausage?
    - Moscow-Tver train

Why? Well, under the USSR provincials had to go shopping to Moscow. Their shops had no food, often very literally. Today we'll learn an expression "supply category"🧵"

https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1552324765154611201?s=20&t=qYAmPIpV2bKISsH3oWONqw

Twitter is ace at this stuff. You can learn more in 10 minutes this way than you can in any other medium, maybe
  • Options
    stodge said:

Sandpit said:

Where I live, in a fast-growing city in the middle of a desert, that’s been described as like Vegas but with no casinos, the water is all desalinated seawater. There is also a ‘grey water’ network, of partially treated waste water, used for irrigation.

The process of desalination has become hugely more efficient in recent years, and would in many places be a reasonable use for excess electricity from renewables.
  • Options

There’s a rumour that Rishi Sunak fantasises about being level pegging.

haha vg
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,286
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Even innuendo is innuendo by the sound of it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2N0TkfrQhY
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Ooh, just found it in YouTube.
    Ah, 1990. Simpler times. Even the apocalypse was pleasant.
    You can't beat a sitcom for social history.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

I recently listened to The Stranding on BBC iPlayer about 2 people on a beach as the world is rocked by some sort of nuclear annihilation and survive by climbing into the mouth of a whale.

I rather liked it.
    There's a thing about the end of the world and beaches - the final scene of "The Last Hours" is on a beach, while we have of course "On The Beach" by Nevil Shute.
  • Options

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

They think they are getting continuity BoZo.

Truss will say anything to anybody to win the vote, then spectacularly fail to deliver any of it.

Crash and burn, perhaps within the year

I doubt she will crash and burn to the point that she is replaced before a General Election (she will need to doing seriously badly for the risk of replacing her to be worth it) but I suspect Labour will drop a few percentage during a short honeymoon period but be back to 10% leads before March next year.
    It’s why the best chance of a GE win is to go to the country in October this year. Won’t happen but she (Truss) probably won’t win if she holds on to 2024/25.

Unless she has a big poll lead why risk it? As if she loses it she goes down as the shortest PM in history, whereas she has at least until mid 2024 otherwise provided she keeps the ERG and Tory backbenchers on board.

Even if had a big poll lead as May showed that does not guarantee she would keep her majority after the campaign
  • Options
    British Gas owner Centrica and Shell see profits soar as bills rise
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62330190

Surely there will be renewed calls for windfall taxes?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,779
    stodge said:

Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

I rather liked it.
    There's a thing about the end of the world and beaches - the final scene of "The Last Hours" is on a beach, while we have of course "On The Beach" by Nevil Shute.
    Whereas a dark cave is more likely.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Did you lot see this? Ms Truss - or at least her Dept - seemingly involved in a diplomatic row.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2022/jul/28/uk-in-diplomatic-standoff-over-deletion-of-abortion-rights-from-gender-statement

At last the FCDO pausing their attempts to impose views that are contentious in this country on poorer countries who take a more traditional view - good.
This discussion has been closed.