Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Do the Tories know what they are getting with Truss? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    1h
    People said Sunak would expose Truss' weaknesses easily once they were head to head. A weak later the decaying remains of Sunak's campaign are twisting gently in the wind whilst they're picked at by crows.
    Can't wait to see what she does to Starmer.

@iainmartin1
    How @trussliz routed the Tory establishment. Call her crackers all you like. She's winning, having outwitted Sunak's team.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9ff053a2-0dc3-11ed-93cf-b011fa7fe86b?shareToken=2e0019997ec742ef0bc939df1248d478

https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1552414657389928448
    Old one, but really, she is not part of the Tory establishment? Who comes up with this stuff?

This is like when Jeb Bush claimed not to be a Washington insider.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,238

dixiedean said:

Working on the basis that it's the economy, stupid...

Can Truss engineer something like the Barber Boom, become really popular, then call and win an election before it all goes horribly wrong?

For everyone's sake (including the Conservatives; 2024-9 with that round their necks would be hellish) I hope she can't, but it's both her best bet for winning and awfully plausible.

She could. But two points. The Barber Boom fuelled great inflation. Not good.
    Secondly, it was designed specifically to win the election for the Tories. It didn't.
    All round it was a disaster.
    Agree it would be a disaster. But what is the likelihood of a sufficient window where it would look really good?
    To create a feel-good factor she'd have to find several thousand pounds per average household, and convince everyone it would be durable, and not simply see the money boost inflation towards 20%.

The problem with a supply shock is that we're all materially poorer. There's really no avoiding it because there's an actual shortage of stuff. The only way out politically is to be honest about it and be clear about what you are doing that will fix it, eventually.

The present government have suffered because they've tried to claim that they've fixed the issue with some giveaways, when that isn't possible, and so they've failed and been seen to fail.

So I don't see that there's any way that Truss could engineer a mini-boom that would make people feel like the problem was solved. If she cuts a few taxes, tells people that's a fix for the crisis, and then people have a terrible winter anyway, it's really going to enrage them. The government would look clueless, and people wouldn't trust they were taking the long-term actions necessary for a long-term fix.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

I assumed from "switch" appearing twice that this was a TSE header

The question is whether she will have a cabinet willing serve under her.

I wonder who will be the chief whip.
    And will she keep absurdities like Rees Mogg and Dorries in the cabinet?

This will be the 1st key test to determine whether I'm going to dislike her intensely or just quite a lot.
    She will have to give them a role, she only got to the last 2 thanks to ERG support and Mogg and Dorries are key figures in the ERG
    Depends how ruthless she wants to be surely. She could quite easily say "thanks for your support, now f*ck off". There's nothing they could do about it.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited July 2022
    However, also in that Redfield poll, Starmer only has a 5 point net approval lead over Boris -10 to -15 and preferred PM over Truss down to a single point 34 to 33 (39 to 32 over Sunak)
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,173

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

This will be the 1st key test to determine whether I'm going to dislike her intensely or just quite a lot.
    She will have to give them a role, she only got to the last 2 thanks to ERG support and Mogg and Dorries are key figures in the ERG
    Depends how ruthless she wants to be surely. She could quite easily say "thanks for your support, now f*ck off". There's nothing they could do about it.
    SKS has done that with the left in labour who supported him, so why not.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,841
    edited July 2022
    kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

We also have the identity of the Prince of Pegging to speculate about.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Verbatim cut and paste from Redfield......
    A week ago, nearly twice as many members of the public thought Rishi Sunak (42%), rather than Liz Truss (22%), would ‘do the most to grow the economy.’ Among 2019 Conservative voters, Sunak led Truss by 15 percentage points: 46% to 31%. As of yesterday, Liz Truss now leads, narrowly, on this question: 34% to 32% among the public and 38% to 35% among 2019 Conservative voters—an incredible reversal.

Truss is starting to convince people. Somehow.
  • Options
    Taz said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

SKS has done that with the left in labour who supported him, so why not.
    Indeed. Ruthlessness must be an essential attribute for a successful PM or LOTO.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,119

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

It would be one way to get some of the two thirds who didn't vote for her behind her. Some of that failure to support was because of the company she kept.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945
    Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

I refer you to the tweet this afternoon from Ryanair.

https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1552604254996766720
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Could be at the mercy of the Winter? A bad one, and it could all come crashing down quickly.

Indeed the focus of everyone now is CPI and in particular the domestic fuel 'cap'.

As I have mentioned before the Government should simply reset the cap at the Autumn 2021 level ie around £1,200pa. This would be very expensive but the cost would be significantly offset by the net reduction in CPI which would arise and thus the Government could reduce the uplift for state and public sector pensions and welfare.

Unfortunately no one in Government seems to have any idea of the seriousness of the situation or any desire to do anything about it!
    It is an excellent point on CPI. If the govt subsidies on household energy had been introduced through the price cap rather than as household refunds then presumably that would have saved many billions in "non related" govt spending.
    Yes, but it would have removed the incentive on consumers to reduce demand by removing the price signal. Subsidies to drive up demand for something make sense when the market can respond to that increase in demand. But we're in a situation where that can't happen on the timescale of this winter, so we need people to reduce demand. So you have to have the price signal to encourage people to do that. Or you end up having to ration by actually turning off supply.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Can Truss engineer something like the Barber Boom, become really popular, then call and win an election before it all goes horribly wrong?

For everyone's sake (including the Conservatives; 2024-9 with that round their necks would be hellish) I hope she can't, but it's both her best bet for winning and awfully plausible.

Secondly, it was designed specifically to win the election for the Tories. It didn't.
    Agree it would be a disaster. But what is the likelihood of a sufficient window where it would look really good?
    To create a feel-good factor she'd have to find several thousand pounds per average household, and convince everyone it would be durable, and not simply see the money boost inflation towards 20%.

The problem with a supply shock is that we're all materially poorer. There's really no avoiding it because there's an actual shortage of stuff. The only way out politically is to be honest about it and be clear about what you are doing that will fix it, eventually.

The present government have suffered because they've tried to claim that they've fixed the issue with some giveaways, when that isn't possible, and so they've failed and been seen to fail.

So I don't see that there's any way that Truss could engineer a mini-boom that would make people feel like the problem was solved. If she cuts a few taxes, tells people that's a fix for the crisis, and then people have a terrible winter anyway, it's really going to enrage them. The government would look clueless, and people wouldn't trust they were taking the long-term actions necessary for a long-term fix.
    Oh God this is so simple, although the time for doing it is rapidly disappearing:

Cap energy costs back to 2019 levels.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

A week ago, nearly twice as many members of the public thought Rishi Sunak (42%), rather than Liz Truss (22%), would ‘do the most to grow the economy.’ Among 2019 Conservative voters, Sunak led Truss by 15 percentage points: 46% to 31%. As of yesterday, Liz Truss now leads, narrowly, on this question: 34% to 32% among the public and 38% to 35% among 2019 Conservative voters—an incredible reversal.

Alternatively Sunak's campaign is starting to put people off him.

He has been unlucky, and is facing a largely hostile media, but it also has to be said he has made too many avoidable mistakes.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,191

dixiedean said:

Oh God this is so simple, although the time for doing it is rapidly disappearing:

I would be happy with Autumn 2021 as set out below but agree with the principle!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    ydoethur said:

He has been unlucky, and is facing a largely hostile media, but it also has to be said he has made too many avoidable mistakes.
    True, however combined with the closing of the preferred PM gap to a single point Truss v Starmer it seems its at least in part Truss convincing people
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Why are the prices higher now than in 2019?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934
    ydoethur said:

I vaguely imagine his morning campaign team meetings being a person or two down each day. At some point surely he'll notice?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Who pays for it, and how?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

The problem is, who magics up the missing supply of gas, and from where?

You can't support demand at 2019 levels by subsidising the prices at that level because the supply isn't there.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934

dixiedean said:

Could be at the mercy of the Winter? A bad one, and it could all come crashing down quickly.

Indeed the focus of everyone now is CPI and in particular the domestic fuel 'cap'.

As I have mentioned before the Government should simply reset the cap at the Autumn 2021 level ie around £1,200pa. This would be very expensive but the cost would be significantly offset by the net reduction in CPI which would arise and thus the Government could reduce the uplift for state and public sector pensions and welfare.

Unfortunately no one in Government seems to have any idea of the seriousness of the situation or any desire to do anything about it!
    It is an excellent point on CPI. If the govt subsidies on household energy had been introduced through the price cap rather than as household refunds then presumably that would have saved many billions in "non related" govt spending.

Would this have as much effect without also stepping in to help the costs business are facing?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    kle4 said:

Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    1h
    People said Sunak would expose Truss' weaknesses easily once they were head to head. A weak later the decaying remains of Sunak's campaign are twisting gently in the wind whilst they're picked at by crows.
    Can't wait to see what she does to Starmer.

@iainmartin1
    How @trussliz routed the Tory establishment. Call her crackers all you like. She's winning, having outwitted Sunak's team.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9ff053a2-0dc3-11ed-93cf-b011fa7fe86b?shareToken=2e0019997ec742ef0bc939df1248d478

https://twitter.com/iainmartin1/status/1552414657389928448
    Old one, but really, she is not part of the Tory establishment? Who comes up with this stuff?

This is like when Jeb Bush claimed not to be a Washington insider.
    She has been in government for a decade under May and Johnson, so obviously Tory establishment. If not then who is this mysterious entity the Establishment?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    edited July 2022
    algarkirk said:

sarissa said:

FPT - curse of coming late to a thread, but here's my penny's worth for Leon

sarissa said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I'm tempted to do a Tour de Britain

Go and see all these great UK cities I haven't visited in many years: Birmingham, Liverpool, Newcastle, Sheffield, Leeds, Glasgow

I've been to Bangkok probably a dozen times since 2010, yet I haven't been to any of the cities listed above (I have been to Manc, Edinburgh, Bristol)

That's an idea. See it for myself. Are there really "Muslim no-go zones" in Bradford or Luton or Rotherham? (I very seriously doubt it, but I've never been, so I can't say for sure). How bad is the drugs stuff in Gorbals? Is Salford really "hip"??

Kind of like Orwell's Road to Wigan Pier except with better wine and probably not quite as good observation, TBH

Maybe I will find the Worst town in Britain. What is it?? West Bromwich? Watford? Any of them ones near Glasgow?

NEWENT?

I think the Gorbals will horrify you but not in the way anticipated. It's now now a fairly anodyne area of newbuild apartment blocks and a constructed shopping area and pub. The Brazen Head across the road might give you a whiff of the old days but don't wear your cool, trendy Union Jack leisure wear whatever you do.
    Serious question. Where should I go in Scotland for the unexpected, in terms of best and worst?

I know Scotland rather well - actually a lot better than northern England. I've been to Scotland a dozen times in ten years, yet Yorkshire and Lancashire etc almost zero

I know Edinburgh well, Glasgow quite well... all the lovely wilderness bits really well

Don't know the Borders or the east coast (south of Wick)
    Brechin cathedral

Muirton housing estate, Perth
    Brechin! Muirton! Lovely. Tack
    Been wracking my brain trying to think of the worst bit of Edinburgh, and failing miserably. Can name lots of shite buildings, but I think you are more looking for districts. Decades since I’ve been in Buckstone (between Morningside and Fairmilehead), but it was fairly horrific Wimpey Home land in the 80s, and that rubbish hasn’t aged well anywhere.

Best bit of Glasgow? Burrell Collection?
    Where's the bit of E'boro that Welsh describes in trainspotting? Is that Leith?

Tho I remember it being windswept, gritty but still quite picturesque rather than grim

Scotland does have some shite towns tho. The old mining towns around Glasgow are some of the most depressing on earth. And this is not a sectarian jibe, rUK has equally shitty towns (my God, parts of S Wales or north of Brum), and Scotland also has some of the most majestic scenery on earth (not true of north Birmingham)
    Yep, Leith but also Pilton IIRC are Trainspotting land. It'll take in the peripheral estates to the west, as well as old Leith proper. There are tours (!).
    It is almost a cliche, but taking the west coast line to Oban, a few islands (Mull, Iona, Staffa), south Argyll and some Puffin Therapy (almost over for this year) is hard to beat. Avoid the best known mountains and honeypot attractions Such as Skye, Ben Nevis etc unless you like crowds.

You could consider following Dr Johnson and Boswell's footsteps and seeing the impact of the modern world on places they visited.
    Following, on Mull and Iona, also the journey of John Keats in 1818 (his northern walk, starting from Lancaster), which is well chronicled by contemporaneous journals and letters. he started to feel ill on the journey and shortened it. The following year he wrote nearly all his great poems, and a two years later he was dead.

Keats visited Stock Ghyll Falls at Ambleside and wrote this lovely letter to his brother after his visit -

"27th June — We walked here to Ambleside yesterday along the border of Winandermere, all beautiful with wooded shores and islands. Our road was a winding lane, wooded on each side, and green overhead, full of foxgloves — every now and then a glimpse of the lake, and all the while Kirkstone and other large hills nestled together in a sort of grey black mist. Ambleside is at the northern extremity of the lake. We arose this morning at six, because we call it a day of rest, having to call on Wordsworth, who lives only two miles hence.

Before breakfast we went to see the Ambleside waterfall. The morning beautiful — the walk easy among the hills. We, I may say fortunately, missed the direct path, and after wandering a little, found it out by the noise; for, mark you, it is buried in trees, in the bottom of the valley. The stream itself is interesting throughout with “mazy error over pendant shades.” Milton meant a smooth river — this is buffeting all the way on a rocky bed ever various — but the waterfall itself, which I came suddenly upon, gave me a pleasant twinge. First we stood a little below the head about halfway down the first fall, buried deep in trees, and saw it streaming down two more descents to the depth of near fifty feet. Then we went on a jut of rock nearly level with the second fall-head, where the first fall was above us, and the third below our feet still. At the same time we saw that the water was divided by a sort of cataract island on whose other side burst out a glorious stream — then the thunder and the freshness. At the same time the different falls have as different characters; the first darting down the slate rock like an arrow; the second spreading out like a fan; the third dashed into a mist — and the one on the other side of the rock a sort of mixture of all these. We afterwards moved away a space, and saw nearly the whole more mild, streaming silverly through the trees. What astonishes me more than anything is the tone, the coloring, the slate, the stone, the moss, the rockweed; or, if I may so say, the intellect, the countenance of such places.

The space, the magnitude of mountains and waterfalls are well imagined before one sees them; but this countenance or intellectual tone must surpass every imagination and defy any remembrance. I shall learn poetry here and shall henceforth write, more than ever, for the abstract endeavour of being able to add a mite to that mass of beauty which is harvested from these grand materials, by the finest spirits, and put into ethereal existence for the relish of one’s fellows. I cannot think with Hazlitt that these scenes make man appear little. I never forgot my stature so completely; I live in the eye, and my imagination, surpassed, is at rest."

That last line is stunning. "I live in the eye, and my imagination, surpassed, is at rest."
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,711

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

She might, but will she? A lot depends on Liz Truss not being as batshit as she claims to be. We know she is dishonest and shameless but is she a dangerous ideologue as well?

She's a huge risk.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

She might, but will she? A lot depends on Liz Truss not being as batshit as she claims to be. We know she is dishonest and shameless but is she a dangerous ideologue as well?

She's a huge risk.
    The difference between Truss and Corbyn is that Corbyn was never particularly likely to be prime minister, while Truss almost certainly will be. The big experiment will begin.
  • Options
    DriverDriver Posts: 4,522
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

She's a huge risk.
    Shall I put you down as a "maybe"?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,668
    R4 had difficulty getting anyone to come on air to defend the affirmative care model advanced by the GIDS at the Tavistock Trust - they could only get Dr David Bell one of its earliest critics.

Classic bully behaviour - stand up to them and they fold.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

She's a huge risk.
    Please explain how 'we know' she's dishonest?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,178
    edited July 2022
    The BBC are really on board with Owen Jones.

Now the Conservatives and the BBC are fully behind Liz Truss, Starmer has blown it, hasn't he?
  • Options
    Driver said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

She's a huge risk.
    Shall I put you down as a "maybe"?
    Funnily enough you can. If Truss backtracks on the positions she has adopted to win over the Conservative Party she might do OK, or at least better than possibly the worst prime minister we have ever had.

I am not massively confident she will.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pretty easily found on twitter!

It could make those weekly meetings at the Palace rather more interesting when PM Truss is calling.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

The problem is, who magics up the missing supply of gas, and from where?

You can't support demand at 2019 levels by subsidising the prices at that level because the supply isn't there.
    The UK produces about 50% of the gas it consumes each year. The idea would be to nationalise the 50% we produce and sell it to domestic users more or less at cost (the cost of production has not changed since 2021, only the amount of global supply). That would mean we would then need to source the other 50% of our requirements on the open market at commercial rates, but this would still represent a substantial saving.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

It could make those weekly meetings at the Palace rather more interesting when PM Truss is calling.
    I'm astonished to learn Her Majesty goes in for that kind of thing.
  • Options

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

She's a huge risk.
    Please explain how 'we know' she's dishonest?
    When my love swears that she is made of truth,
    I do believe her, though I know she lies,
    That she might think me some untutor’d youth,
    Unlearned in the world’s false subtleties.
    Thus vainly thinking that she thinks me young,
    Although she knows my days are past the best,
    Simply I credit her false-speaking tongue:
    On both sides thus is simple truth suppress’d.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Amusing as the rumour is, the whole thing has a very strong whiff of the old "I know it’s not true, but let’s make the sonofabitch deny it” story about Lyndon B Johnson.

One wonders if Meghan reads Hunter S Thompson?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Amusing as the rumour is, the whole thing has a very strong whiff of the old "I know it’s not true, but let’s make the sonofabitch deny it” story about Lyndon B Johnson.

I am pretty sure that it isn't true, after all the Prince went to Eton, not Winchester College.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,999

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Depends how she does in the polls. If Labour still have a clear lead over the Tories a year into her premiership if she has turned on her core supporters she would have no support left
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited July 2022
    The UK has 11,000 wind turbines. For both on and offshore the strike price is around £40/MwH.

That's 4p/kwh.

The indicitive wholesale price is https://www.energy-stats.uk/wholesale-energy-pricing/ ~ 31p/kwh

If we chuck up another 50,000 turbines then we get really cheap energy on windy days and we just have the more expensive stuff on still ones.

Also factor in electric cars. If, along with the EU (We're too small to mandate this ourselves) 2 way flow was required as a neccessity of car charging that's a huge store of batteries. We could pay people to export their (Topped up when it's windy) electricity back to the grid on still days.
    https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-cars-bidirectional-charging-grid-battery/

The details of this masterplan are a little hazy and clearly it needs more than 1 paragraph on PB.com but imo massively overbuilding wind is essentially the way to go for UK energy, as well as allowing banks to add solar panels to mortgage considerations backed by the BoE (Solar panels have certainly kept my leccy bills down even outwith the very nice FiT payments - really noticed this with the little one)

Just an idea...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

I am pretty sure that it isn't true, after all the Prince went to Eton, not Winchester College.
    What?

Eton is actually Eton College too btw.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,378
    Rishi Sunak interviewed by Charles Moore on Spectator TV (recorded Tuesday sfaict)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eThRPW9fREw
  • Options

It's like everyone's forgotten how markets, prices, supply and demand work.

If there is a shortage in supply then prices rise until demand decreases to match supply. If you intervene in the market to reduce prices then demand does not decrease and the shortage is expressed by interruptions in supply.

There's no magic way out by pretending that prices haven't gone up.

Given the distortion already caused by the cap, that's not a cheerful thought.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    As far as I can tell the pegging thing is based on a single tweet from some rando.

But who knows?
    I’m sure Edwina Currie is laughing somewhere.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

What?

Eton is actually Eton College too btw.
    The Prime Minister however is not collegiate, just a mess.
  • Options
    Golly where did this pegging thing come from?

I cannot believe it is open season on all that with both parties named everywhere on twitter, but the Finnish Allegation is too dire to mention
  • Options
    Starmer needs to be a bit careful with Tarry. Hes on the verge of deselection for other reasons so theres a non negligible chance of him becomung a 'martyr' for the left and given his relationship with Rayner it has at least the potential to turn very messy.
  • Options

Starmer needs to be a bit careful with Tarry. Hes on the verge of deselection for other reasons so theres a non negligible chance of him becomung a 'martyr' for the left and given his relationship with Rayner it has at least the potential to turn very messy.

He sounds like a Trump style lunatic, frankly.

All ten local Labour branches voted against Corbynite Mr Parry automatically becoming their candidate at the next election.

As the sitting MP, Mr Tarry will automatically be on the shortlist.

In a statement, he said he had submitted evidence to the party of “rule-breaking, concrete evidence of voter fraud, voter impersonation, widespread voting by party members not on the electoral register, and the dangerous whipping up of communal tensions to undermine the democratic reselection process in an attempt to unseat me”.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/labour-mp-sam-tarry-lashes-095952139.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979

He appears to have stood on an RMT picket line - when the RMT refuse to have anything to do with the Labour party and actively support none Labour Candidates...

• Options
    edited July 2022
    ydoethur said:

He sounds like a Trump style lunatic, frankly.

All ten local Labour branches voted against Corbynite Mr Parry automatically becoming their candidate at the next election.

As the sitting MP, Mr Tarry will automatically be on the shortlist.

In a statement, he said he had submitted evidence to the party of “rule-breaking, concrete evidence of voter fraud, voter impersonation, widespread voting by party members not on the electoral register, and the dangerous whipping up of communal tensions to undermine the democratic reselection process in an attempt to unseat me”.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/labour-mp-sam-tarry-lashes-095952139.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw&tsrc=twtr
    Yes, an ideal martyr for the left, picket joining, batshit crazy and snuggling with the deputy who has 'history' with the boss
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

I cannot believe it is open season on all that with both parties named everywhere on twitter, but the Finnish Allegation is too dire to mention

I still don’t know what the Finnish allegation is supposed to be.

My PMs are open!
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    eek said:

He appears to have stood on an RMT picket line - when the RMT refuse to have anything to do with the Labour party and actively support none Labour Candidates...

All big green ticks for the left
    His disciplining has already led to calls for a general strike from comrade McDonnell
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332

Betfair next prime minister
    1.18 Liz Truss 85%
    6.8 Rishi Sunak 15%

Next Conservative leader
    1.17 Liz Truss 85%
    7 Rishi Sunak 14%

Done and dusted.

Or are there any Sunak buyers out there at:

7?
    10?
    20?
    I'd definitely buy at 20.

No votes have been cast yet, there is one debate still to come and Truss could still yet totally combust and Rishi amaze.

But not much lower.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

I thought the rumoured Prince in question was her husband?
  • Options

1.18 Liz Truss 85%
    6.8 Rishi Sunak 15%

Next Conservative leader
    1.17 Liz Truss 85%
    7 Rishi Sunak 14%

Done and dusted.

7?
    10?
    20?

No votes have been cast yet, there is one debate still to come and Truss could still yet totally combust and Rishi amaze.

But not much lower.
    It's catching a falling knife.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

My PMs are open!
    Nor do I

Perhaps it is this?

There's a superinjunction allegedly in this case as there is in the Finnish one
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Nope it's the one who will be King..
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

To put it baldly you are mistaken.
  • Options

1.18 Liz Truss 85%
    6.8 Rishi Sunak 15%

Next Conservative leader
    1.17 Liz Truss 85%
    7 Rishi Sunak 14%

Done and dusted.

7?
    10?
    20?

But not much lower.
    10-1 seems about right. The VAT u-turn is farcical. If I were Rishi I’d be having words with Dominic Cummings about dead cats.
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sean Connery's dead, so that doesn't get us further forward.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

My PMs are open!
    Nor do I

Perhaps it is this?

No, the Finnish thing “should cause the government to fall”.

It’s probably - if I had to guess - a better description of what Boris got up to at Lebedev’s - and with whom.

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    kle4 said: "This is like when Jeb Bush claimed not to be a Washington insider."

Well, when he ran for president, he (unlike his brother, George), had never worked in DC, so his claim was not completely implausible. Nor did he attend an Ivy League school, instead going to the University of Texas.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,996
    It's amusing that a forum where, a few hours ago, posters were up in arms about women's rights, now features posts concerning rumours and sexual tittle-tattle about a female candidate, where the make candidate goes unremarked. Often from the same posters.

It must be the *correct* form of sexism...
  • Options

R4 had difficulty getting anyone to come on air to defend the affirmative care model advanced by the GIDS at the Tavistock Trust - they could only get Dr David Bell one of its earliest critics.

Classic bully behaviour - stand up to them and they fold.

Worth listening to this episode of Nolan investigates Stonewall - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09yk7dh - and indeed the whole series.

There are some implications for Scotland of the latest Cass development and the Garden Court / Bailey case..

First, given what Cass says about the treatment of children, the Scottish government should really be looking at its own Tavistock equivalent and also at whether its proposed GRA reforms should be extended to16 year old.

Second, the barrister who gave advice to the Scottish government on the GRA was from Garden Court Chambers. Yes - the chambers which was found to have discriminated against one of its own barristers and behaved so badly that it is having to pay aggravated damages. I'd want to get an opinion from a more reputable set than that, frankly.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280

He’s extremely unpopular locally, for a variety of reasons - he’s not a nice character, he was forced on them from outside as they see it, his constituency has one of the highest ethnic minority populations in the UK yet he is white, the favoured local candidate was disqualified from the selection for reasons that were extremely controversial and, with hindsight, questionable (and it remains mysterious who was behind it all), and he is hard left while the majority of the local party are fairly moderate.

His chances of surviving the deselection were already low - that Starmer has clearly cut him loose and that he’s transgressed party rules as a junior minister make his demise even more likely.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    edited July 2022
    Is there any evidence this Finnish thing exists at all?
    It seems to be like the Great Southern Continent or Prester John.
    Everyone believing it is there, but nobody ever seeing it.
  • Options

It's amusing that a forum where, a few hours ago, posters were up in arms about women's rights, now features posts concerning rumours and sexual tittle-tattle about a female candidate, where the make candidate goes unremarked. Often from the same posters.

If you have the goods on the male candidate I will,happily redress the balance. PM me.
  • Options

Well I have tittle tattle about Sunak's sexuality if that's what's bothering you. Though personally I have no idea whether it's true and it doesn't reflect badly on him in any event. IMO
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

My PMs are open!
    Nor do I

Perhaps it is this?

No, the Finnish thing “should cause the government to fall”.

It’s probably - if I had to guess - a better description of what Boris got up to at Lebedev’s - and with whom.

Foreigners in republics often have a distorted view of the significance of the royal family. I can't think of anything Boris might have done which would really cause the government to fall.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,107

dixiedean said:

It is still not totally clear how the measures will be recorded in the CPI. There are precedents for both treating the refunds as reducing the cost of energy (reducing the CPI) and treating them as transfers to households (no effect on the CPI). The ONS had a note on this with the last CPI release. In my opinion it would be a travesty, from a statistical point of view, to treat it as the former, but it would make both the government and the BOE's life easier so it can't be ruled out completely.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    dixiedean said:

I'm not on here obsessively enough to keep up with the Finnish thing.

Has it got anything to do with pegging?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,379

Some years ago, I recall a hilarious attempt by some quite left wing activists to out a Tory Cabinet Minister as gay.

To add to the comedy, it was Alan Duncan. Who was, of course, open about his sexuality.

As I understood it, they believed this was all fine, since he was a Tory.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The UK has 11,000 wind turbines. For both on and offshore the strike price is around £40/MwH.

That's 4p/kwh.

The indicitive wholesale price is https://www.energy-stats.uk/wholesale-energy-pricing/ ~ 31p/kwh

If we chuck up another 50,000 turbines then we get really cheap energy on windy days and we just have the more expensive stuff on still ones.

Also factor in electric cars. If, along with the EU (We're too small to mandate this ourselves) 2 way flow was required as a neccessity of car charging that's a huge store of batteries. We could pay people to export their (Topped up when it's windy) electricity back to the grid on still days.
    https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-cars-bidirectional-charging-grid-battery/

The details of this masterplan are a little hazy and clearly it needs more than 1 paragraph on PB.com but imo massively overbuilding wind is essentially the way to go for UK energy, as well as allowing banks to add solar panels to mortgage considerations backed by the BoE (Solar panels have certainly kept my leccy bills down even outwith the very nice FiT payments - really noticed this with the little one)

Just an idea...

Yes. Lots of wind generation. Plus variable pricing on electricity consumption so you get it cheaper when it's more plentiful / less in demand. Plus ultimately energy storage.

My simple idea is to bring back cheap storage heaters. Variable input depending on outside temperature, cost of electricity and energy currently stored - all easily managed on a smartphone. Output thermostatically controlled Add in basic insulation so heat can be retained for a minimum of 24 hours
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

If you have the goods on the male candidate I will,happily redress the balance. PM me.
    And you are doing your gammon dressed as woke thing again, as badly as ever. It really isn't difficult to both find it amusing that liz gets up to what she allegedly does, and feel fairly strongly that women should not be raped. Nor underage girls be medically experimented on.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,379
    dixiedean said:

Anytime someone says - “I haven’t seen the evidence, but someone…” - I put it in the same category as Corbyn’s personnel file as a Colonel in the KGB.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    IanB2 said:

He’s extremely unpopular locally, for a variety of reasons - he’s not a nice character, he was forced on them from outside as they see it, his constituency has one of the highest ethnic minority populations in the UK yet he is white, the favoured local candidate was disqualified from the selection for reasons that were extremely controversial and, with hindsight, questionable (and it remains mysterious who was behind it all), and he is hard left while the majority of the local party are fairly moderate.

His chances of surviving the deselection were already low - that Starmer has clearly cut him loose and that he’s transgressed party rules as a junior minister make his demise even more likely.
    All of which means any adoption of him by the left holds risk for Labour, especially given his girlfriend. The left have form both in backing utter whackos and delighting in internicine civil warfare. McDonnell, Zarah Sultana both out today over yesterdays events, if they want to be awkward they can conflate his possible deselection with an attack on the Labour left and thus workers.
    A nonsense conflation but thats not the point. Danger lurks is the point, hence careful footwork required
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

It isn't. The rumour in question has long been on the Internet about the Ginger one, whatever some Meghan diehards are trying to trend today
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    So, is Rishi getting any 'root for the underdog' support yet or is his campaign still as dead as a particularly dead dodo?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,164
    mwadams said:

AlistairM said:

Totally off-topic but I finally got access to DALL-E recently. I know it has been quite a topic of debate here recently and thought I would share my experiences. I was wanting to create some football type images for use in an App.

These were some of my early attempts:

I realised that anything that might involve a face would look bad. So I then asked for some overhead shots. A bit better but the lines on the pitches don't look right.

In the end I got some usable ones by asking for the pitch in the foreground and all the players blurred in the distance. Even then some of the people look odd (in the example below the person on the ground looks strange).

At the moment for me at least it hasn't helped me solve the issue I was hoping it would. Anything with a human face is just terrible. Maybe that will improve over time? At the very least it was quite fun to play around with.

I think the important thing to remember is that it is, in fact, a bit shit. What we have been presented with as "amazing" is the small amount of hand curated stuff that has emerged from its sweet spot.

That it does anything is impressive, but...
    Or it needs to be in the right hands. I’ve seen videos of people typing in prompts and getting amazing results in ten seconds. There in front of you. I don’t believe they are fake

I have noticed also that the most skilled users who get the best results quickly are artists and designers. So: still a role for the human imagination
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,611
    Pulpstar said:

That's 4p/kwh.

Just an idea...

Let's put those 50,000 turbines up as soon as possible.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,503
    This will surprise some of you: "Across America, Black women are taking up arms in unprecedented numbers. Research shows that first-time gun buyers since 2019 have been more likely to be Black and more likely to be female than gun purchasers in previous years, a finding that aligns with surveys of gun sellers."
    (Links omitted.)
    source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/07/28/black-women-guns-crime/

Briefly, many black women have begun to despair about the failure of governments to protect them, and those they love. I'm not happy about this increase -- but I understand the motivations behind it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,432
    The Finnish thing is so shocking, about the degenerate behaviour about a senior Tory.

Apparently they put pineapple on their pizzas.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

That's 4p/kwh.

Just an idea...

Let's put those 50,000 turbines up as soon as possible.
    Except we won't be.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332

Some years ago, I recall a hilarious attempt by some quite left wing activists to out a Tory Cabinet Minister as gay.

To add to the comedy, it was Alan Duncan. Who was, of course, open about his sexuality.

As I understood it, they believed this was all fine, since he was a Tory.
    In certain Conservative circles in my youth it was considered unusual if you weren't gay.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,611
    IshmaelZ said:

What's pegging?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,729
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What's pegging?
    An old Cavalry thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeftiNC5MaU
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

It isn't. The rumour in question has long been on the Internet about the Ginger one, whatever some Meghan diehards are trying to trend today
    What an extraordinary thing for a christian, monarchist, elected tory politician to know. I shall laugh like a drain if William and his issue step aside in a 1936 moment and Megs ascends to the throne.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What's pegging?
    Not something to Google at work !
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What's pegging?
    Strap ons
  • Options
    pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Your guess is as good as mine. If it were big enough to bring the government down, it is astonishing no other foreign media has noticed it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

What would his father say ?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What's pegging?
    Strap ons
    And strap on is a palindrome of 'no parts' which has always amused me.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What's pegging?
    A rite of passage of every rugby player and every privately educated guy.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,107

This will surprise some of you: "Across America, Black women are taking up arms in unprecedented numbers. Research shows that first-time gun buyers since 2019 have been more likely to be Black and more likely to be female than gun purchasers in previous years, a finding that aligns with surveys of gun sellers."
    (Links omitted.)
    source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/07/28/black-women-guns-crime/

Briefly, many black women have begun to despair about the failure of governments to protect them, and those they love. I'm not happy about this increase -- but I understand the motivations behind it.

Black people arming themselves is great news for anyone hoping for Republicans to stop blocking gun control legislation.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What's pegging?
    Something you do to the dollar.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    edited July 2022

IshmaelZ said:

My PMs are open!
    I was going to say the same the other day, then I thought, no, I don't want to know, but now I'm curious again. If anyone feels a burning need to get it off their chest, you know what to do.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

What an extraordinary thing for a christian, monarchist, elected tory politician to know. I shall laugh like a drain if William and his issue step aside in a 1936 moment and Megs ascends to the throne.
    Of course they won't and in any case Meghan seems to be focusing more on her deluded ambition to be President in 2024

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/972686-meghan-markle-is-being-mentored-by-sevela-politicians-for-2024-presidency
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    If Truss wins the leadership will she command the confidence of a majority of the parliamentary party? If not, then what?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

kyf_100 said:

Foxy said:

Sean_F said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

The MM troll farm is having a busy week, anything to detract from Tom Bower’s book.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

pigeon said:

dixiedean said:

Your guess is as good as mine. If it were big enough to bring the government down, it is astonishing no other foreign media has noticed it.
    Nor any English-speaking foreigners on Twitter, not even those in the land of the first amendment.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What's pegging?
    A rite of passage of every rugby player and every privately educated guy.
    Speak for yourself!
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Andy_JS said:

IshmaelZ said:

What's pegging?
    Something you do to the dollar.
    Give it a decade, it'll be something you do to the Crown

allegedly
This discussion has been closed.