Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Durham police say Starmer’s “No case to answer” over Beergate – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,866
    Coffey and Kwasi have come out for Truss, mind.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,278
    Pulpstar said:

IMHO I think Wallace will back Rishi

Wallace can act as Kingmaker and secure foreign sec if he wants it from any of the candidates imo.
    Yep.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

Sunak into 7-2 with a slew of endorsements.
    I think he deserves the price, Wallace drifting to 6s.

sunak will appeal to middle class southern woke liberals who want to show they are down with diversity....with his manner he will have no appeal in the red wall...he seems like a rich elitist
    He's basically Cameron 2.0.
    He really isn’t.
    It’s a measure of how far the Tory Party have gone that you think that might be true.
    He's the only candidate I could seemingly imagine Blue Wallers actually voting for.
    You mean apart from Tugendhat, Wallace, Mordaunt, Hunt, and even Javid?
    I could potentially return to voting Tory if any of those were leader.
  • Options
    Welcome back to Labour BJO, now Starmer is 14 points ahead and Johnson is gone, he will no doubt be back in the fold
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

This is actually happening quite quickly.
    Liz Truss really is screwed, isn’t she?

Are we talking her leadership prospects or those rumours?
  • Options

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

sunak will appeal to middle class southern woke liberals who want to show they are down with diversity....with his manner he will have no appeal in the red wall...he seems like a rich elitist
    He really isn’t.
    It’s a measure of how far the Tory Party have gone that you think that might be true.
    He's the only candidate I could seemingly imagine Blue Wallers actually voting for.
    You mean apart from Tugendhat, Wallace, Mordaunt, Hunt, and even Javid?
    I could potentially return to voting Tory if any of those were leader.
    If any of them won an election, I would not mind. I'd still not vote Tory but I would not mind if they won.
  • Options

Ben Riley-Smith
    @benrileysmith
    ·
    10m
    FIRST CABINET DECLARATION. Mark Spencer, Commons Leader, is backing Rishi Sunak for leader.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson’s waxwork statue at London’s Madame Tussauds has been updated with a ‘Vacancy’ sign at the door of 10 Downing Street

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1545437555788759041/video/1

Also

They should take the sign off the door and stick it to his head.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

When you are incapable of nuanced argument, there is nothing like a good bit of sweeping generalisation eh? Are you a friend of HYUFD?
    I thought that was a nuanced argument, considering the main point was that his "manner" wouldn't go down well in the industrial north.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    dixiedean said:

Rishi's going to get creamed on raising taxes.

Good point. If Sunak can dangle deregulation in front of the faithful, however, that might be enough to get them on side. They might take austerity if it comes with very serious deregulation.

IF Harper, a genuine and vocal opponent of lockdowns and vaccine passports, supports Sunak, that might be his strategy.
  • Options

i do hope so. There is something I don't like about her. Definitely a touch of the Borisesque Walter Mittys.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,792

Coffey and Kwasi have come out for Truss, mind.

So Kwasi isn't standing.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,093

What a shame...
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,622
    Scott_xP said:

Mark Spencer MP tells #BBCPM controversy over Rishi Sunak's family wealth and tax arrangements won't be a problem.

"There are no secrets to Riski Sunak. That's why I'm supporting him. There are no skeletons in that cupboard."

What IS in Rishi's cupboard these days, aside from piles of gold-plated silver or visa versa?
  • Options
    Chris said:

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

When you are incapable of nuanced argument, there is nothing like a good bit of sweeping generalisation eh? Are you a friend of HYUFD?
    I thought that was a nuanced argument, considering the main point was that his "manner" wouldn't go down well in the industrial north.
    Ah, I see. You are suggesting that was a nuanced euphemism for something else?
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,001

Sunak vs Starmer, boring vs boring. Except one is a rich banker and one a working class boy done good.

What is Sunak's strategy for the Red Wall, it sounds like he's going for Cameron 2.0?

At least with him, the culture wars might finally be forgotten about.

Agreed, and it would be very welcome. This country needs serious, proper administration with real policies that deal with the actual, lived issues millions of people are facing - not provocative pinhead-dancing on pronouns and other such Big-Endian Heresies.

FWIW it's similarly a good idea to stop talking about Brexit. Starmer is right to rule out rejoining. We don't need to go through all that again.
  • Options
    KevinBKevinB Posts: 109

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

its a generalisation thats true, maybe woke southern liberals havent the intelligence to recognise it
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    Worth remembering some of these are just setting out their stall for inclusion in the winner's cabinet.

Not Baker, I think he really is an all or nothing kind of person.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,866
    People seem to not know that Rishi was a a bit of a anti-lockdown ultra, a pro-Brexiter, and about as fiscally dry as it’s possible to be.

Some my appreciate those aspects, but it doesn’t seem like an election winning triad.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sunak vs Starmer, boring vs boring. Except one is a rich banker and one a working class boy done good.

What is Sunak's strategy for the Red Wall, it sounds like he's going for Cameron 2.0?

The working class boy had the benefit of a grammar school education. :smile:
    Well, of course, a large part of the argument for grammar schools is that working-class boys/girls have access to them. Not that I agree with it, but it's as well to be aware.
  • Options

People seem to not know that Rishi was a a bit of a anti-lockdown ultra, a pro-Brexiter, and about as fiscally dry as it’s possible to be.

Some my appreciate those aspects, but it doesn’t seem like an election winning triad.

How could that be, I was assured on here he was a wet and part of a remainer plot against Boris?
  • Options
    Excellent spot here. Seems old Rishi's been preparing for this moment since December last year (and cunningly didn't register the 4 domain until 2 days ago) https://twitter.com/rsmck/status/1545441827079311360
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,906
    Amazing how a FPN would have finished Starmer off and yet Sunak is now favourite to be PM with a FPN .
  • Options

Chris said:

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

Ah, I see. You are suggesting that was a nuanced euphemism for something else?
    You might think that, but please don't put words into my mouth.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,050
    tlg86 said:

He had violin lessons alongside fellow working class hero Quentin 'Fat Boy Slim' Cook apparantly. Gritty, gritty times at Reigate Grammar.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Fervently hope so
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    kle4 said:

Worth remembering some of these are just setting out their stall for inclusion in the winner's cabinet.

And if they don't make it they can at least console themselves that cabinet minister turnover is, um, quite high these days.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Amazing how a FPN would have finished Starmer off and yet Sunak is now favourite to be PM with a FPN .

Them's the breaks.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak's launch video has already been viewed 1.1 million times. Posted a little over an hour ago.
  • Options
    KevinB said:

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

its a generalisation thats true, maybe woke southern liberals havent the intelligence to recognise it
    Are all people that do not share your world (flat earth?) view "woke liberals"?

Is it also woke to use punctuation? Is the apostrophe a leftish invention? The comma a weak excuse for a pause?Come to think of it, I'd say it was more capitalist, as it often confers ownership. All power to the apostrophe I say!
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    KevinB said:

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

I think we need to know where you live, roughly, so we can judge whether you're sufficiently northern to have our respect.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Excellent spot here. Seems old Rishi's been preparing for this moment since December last year (and cunningly didn't register the 4 domain until 2 days ago) https://twitter.com/rsmck/status/1545441827079311360

Who can blame him when his boss was Johnson.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,385
    Pulpstar said:

Rishi as PM is going to be way more thatcherism than his chancellorship I think.
    Fiscally very dry

Bearing in mind who he was Chancellor to there was a lot of spending that didn't happen.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,654
    KevinB said:

ydoethur said:

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

Cameron won. I think the Tories would take that.

They'd be fools to. They need some time out of government. But they will cling to power as long as possible instead of looking at the bigger picture or the longer term.
    cameron wasnt facing fuel bills of >£3000 per annum and 10% inflation
    We aren't either.

I'll be getting £550 back so far, I think. And I'll be reducing my monthly payments to take the £400 element paid through the energy company into account, which will be a reduction of £35 per month for the year.

If you look at the actual data, the UK support package is the largest in Europe.
    https://www.bruegel.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/PDF-methodology-for-the-figure.pdf
  • Options
    Chris said:

tlg86 said:

Well, of course, a large part of the argument for grammar schools is that working-class boys/girls have access to them. Not that I agree with it, but it's as well to be aware.
    Well, not Reigate anyway given it's now a private school (and became one while he was there).
  • Options
    Farooq said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

I think we need to know where you live, roughly, so we can judge whether you're sufficiently northern to have our respect.
    i have lived all over the country, london and the north so i know of what i speak....
  • Options

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

Is it also woke to use punctuation? Is the apostrophe a leftish invention? The comma a weak excuse for a pause?Come to think of it, I'd say it was more capitalist, as it often confers ownership. All power to the apostrophe I say!
    If you stray into punctuation you might accidentally hit the equals sign which is obviously Marxist
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    No surprise Sunak has launched a bid but I think he will end up the next Michael Portillo or David Miliband than the next Tony Blair or David Cameron
  • Options
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Fervently hope so
    What's she done?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    Psychic seal predicts Ben Wallace or Penny Mordaunt will be next PM

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/lifestyle/next-prime-minister-boris-johnson-seal-b2118777.html
  • Options

He seems to be what Farage and co imagined a Brexiteer to be like.

But the Red Wall do not agree.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Ben Riley-Smith
    @benrileysmith
    ·
    10m
    FIRST CABINET DECLARATION. Mark Spencer, Commons Leader, is backing Rishi Sunak for leader.

This isn’t just an endorsement, it’s a Mark Spencer endorsement.
    An endorsement, by St Michael?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Wallace can act as Kingmaker and secure foreign sec if he wants it from any of the candidates imo.
    I know it is one of the Great Offices of State, but in the modern age with PMs doing so much travel and face to faces with world leaders, is the Foreign Office really better than Defence? Health is probably more important too, for the public, but not very glamorous.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

Fervently hope so
    What's she done?
    Not been here

Mind you I imagine she is landing about now
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,385

Yes. Her long plane journey to and from Indonesia will become the stuff of legend when it comes to writing up the history of this leadership election.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No surprise Sunak has launched a bid but I think he will end up the next Michael Portillo or David Miliband than the next Tony Blair or David Cameron

Who would be your least favourite of the candidates? Who is the worst case scenario?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Good evening, everyone.

Kinda weird qualifying. Well, pretend-qualifying, for the pretend-race.
  • Options
    KevinB said:

Farooq said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

i have lived all over the country, london and the north so i know of what i speak....
    that doesn't seem true
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    HYUFD said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/lifestyle/next-prime-minister-boris-johnson-seal-b2118777.html

Psychic seal is new Fisheries Minister.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Did she give either her approval?
  • Options
    Boris Johnson has made Peter Bone deputy leader of the Commons. 👀 https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1545446866761965569/photo/1
  • Options

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

what im saying is woke liberals often overestimate their intelligence and then start to utter total stupidities....not their fault i sympathise with them....
  • Options

Yes. Her long plane journey to and from Indonesia will become the stuff of legend when it comes to writing up the history of this leadership election.
    The journey of the flying Trussman.
  • Options
    MattW said:

IshmaelZ said:

Fervently hope so
    What's she done?
    She exists
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,526
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Rishi was ready with Ready For Rishi.

Isn't his other problem that he was one of the original MPs who thought making Boris PM was a good idea?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,804
    HYUFD said:

The problem with that is there a significant mismatch in intelligence between the seal and the Tory membership.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson has made Peter Bone deputy leader of the Commons. 👀 https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/1545446866761965569/photo/1

FFS. He really is trolling, or else can't find anyone else.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

KevinB said:

Farooq said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

that doesn't seem true
    why not ive lived in inner london i know what its like
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,972
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

I know it is one of the Great Offices of State, but in the modern age with PMs doing so much travel and face to faces with world leaders, is the Foreign Office really better than Defence? Health is probably more important too, for the public, but not very glamorous.
    I wonder if he is just Army through and through and being Defence Minister is a dream job and a good stepping stone if he wants the top NATO job.

Not all people want “bigger” more prestigious jobs and maybe he’s one of these.

I believe he also has a young family and so why would you want to spend years potentially jetting off to all corners and miss your children growing up? Unless they are horrid children of course.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Us: 'he's reached rock bottom.'

Johnson: 'hold my cheese and wine.'
    At this rate he'll have no choice but to reappoint Pincher.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

Us: 'he's reached rock bottom.'

Johnson: 'hold my cheese and wine.'
    Andrea Jenkyns is also a minister...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,042
    KevinB said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

The video of disappointed Boris voters in the red wall posted on the last thread by MickG or whatever his name is, was very very interesting.

The media / Tories / establishment have removed “their Boris”, who they voted for “knowing full well he made mistakes, like all of us”.

They do have a point.

I know tons of people like that. Older, poorly educated, always done hard physical, boring work. (I once had a friend from Oz visit me as art of a jaunt round the UK, and he had to sit and wait for me in Pontefract town centre for a bit while I got back from somewhere. When I get there he said 'God, everyone looks like a physical wreck. They've had hard lives, you can tell.')

If they haven't stopped, they smoke baccy now, or vape, cos packets of 20 cigs are too expensive. Spent their lives reading the sun and mail at chipped formica tables in scabby work canteens. Do the lottery every single week, probably as part of a syndicate. They'll be gutted. Nice people generally, backbone of this country in many ways.

I'm not sneering at these people. I've been there and done it myself, before finally getting my shit together and going to uni when I was 27. I still drink with them. They're funny, smart, self-deprecating, fatalistic, stoic, they don't suffer fools.

It is bonkers how they identify so strongly with Johnson. My take on it is that he embodies this idea of England as they remember it from their childhood, that he promises to resurrect, that Brexit will bring back. A place where everything worked. Everyone had a job. You could get a doctor's appointment by ringing up the surgery at ten past 8, and after three rings you would be speaking to a receptionist - a human! - and get your appointment for half 11 that morning. Households could live comfortably off one wage. There were park keepers. And dog wardens. And industry. Police would turn up when your shed got broken into, no such thing as a crime number. You could get a job by showing up somewhere and asking for one, didn't have to fill out a form or have an interview. They can't understand why the world doesn't work like that anymore. And can't see why it shouldn't again.

Driven by nostalgia.

And instead of having to think about all the complicated, interconnected reasons why that world has gone, the political decisions taken, the tax cuts, the underfunding, 'trickle down', they prefer to blame foreigners. Cos it's easier. And that's what's been shovelled into their brains for decades.

Shame really. They won't change their minds now.
    Don't think they hate foreigners but many of these people don't have the financial resources to escape diversity unlike many of the woke middle class who bleat about how they love it but live well away from it
    I also don’t think they hate foreigners, at least not chiefly. Rather, they resent them for bringing un-asked for cultural change and (to their minds) over-burdening public services.

I think their chief hate is for the unaccountable elite in London who have taken away the life they think they knew.

You are wrong about the wokest middle class, though. They tend to live in areas of high multi-cultural diversity and actually can’t fathom why others would not want to do so.
    yes they do before they have kids...i agree they happily live in areas like hackney...once they have kids however they either move away from the diversity or send their kids to privare schools to escape the diversity
    you're a nasty piece of work aren't you?
    how is stating facts being nasty...or are you embarrassed by the facts
    You're not stating facts, though. You are stating opinions, or at best unsupported conjectures.
    i am stating observable facts on the ground...the woke middle class couple who move to brixton and praise the vibrancy and diversity bur dont work in the area...dont send their kids to schools in the area and dont have much contact with the diversity other than at the local restaurant...once kids are in the offing off they foxtrot to lily white guildford or sevenoaks...still praising the diversity though
    Weirdly, though, those London schools are performing better than those in the rest of the country: around half (51 per cent) of London children on free school meals achieve A* to C in English and maths GCSE, compared with a third of pupils on free school meals in all other English regions

Pretty much all the best performing local authorities for education are now in London. Tower Hamlets is fifth in the country.

The highest-placed area outside the capital is Rushcliffe in Nottinghamshire, ranked 15th-best

Doesn't this actual data - from the Government's Own "State of the Nation" report - rather give lie to your assertions?
    There was a very successful project to improve schools standards in Greater London a few years back. Blairism at its best. Almost ideology free. The after effects are still being felt.
    yes well the indians in west london are keen on education as are the chinese....west indians not so much so it will be a mixed bag
    And yet Tower Hamlets is the fifth best performing LA in the country for educational results.

How do you explain that?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

excellent choice lol
  • Options
    KevinB said:

Farooq said:

KevinB said:

Farooq said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

that doesn't seem true
    so you're a softy southern liberal pansy shandy drinker
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Only two and a half hours, until the news helicopters can chase her plane down the final approach at Stansted.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    kjh said:

KevinB said:

Foxy said:

KevinB said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW Anti-woke Conservative Common-sense Group to grill all Tory leadership candidates on Monday July 18 at 6pm.
    Expect the ‘culture wars’, statues and controversial street names to feature prominently.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1545430774006038533

I wonder if any candidate uses 'common sense' to tell them where they can stick it

They really cannot find their way out of the Wokefinder Generals clutches can they?

It isn't going to win them an election.
    actually foxy a hard line on immigration plus for example a repeal of gay marriage may win them the election as it would get big red wall support...
    Maybe the red wall in Russia, but not here!
    i dont think you know the red wall Foxy...there is a big Muslim vote there too and a repeal of gay marriage could swing big blocks towards the conservatives
    a) Gay marriage is never going to be repealed.

b) Why do you think Muslims in the red wall are different to Muslims in Leicester?
    I wouldn't expect our new troll to know, but they are different. Most Muslims in Leicester are Gujerati or Bengali, while those in the "Red Wall" are mostly Pakistani.

I don't find the "Red Wall" a very useful shorthand. I think old coalfields is a better description. These are places now 35 years post pit closures and strike, so different cultures and occupations.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. 1000, are they fixing the results?

[For the avoidance of doubt, this is purely in jest.]
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited July 2022

He seems to be what Farage and co imagined a Brexiteer to be like.

But the Red Wall do not agree.
    If that is the case, Rishi would lose both walls, Red and Blue
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,050
    HYUFD said:

Well, which?
    Portillo ran on a reforming, modern, socially liberal agenda which paved the later way for Cameron
    Milliband was a useless prick with a banana
  • Options
    KevinB said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

what im saying is woke liberals often overestimate their intelligence and then start to utter total stupidities....not their fault i sympathise with them....
    I am not woke which is clearly why I always underestimate my intelligence.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,804

Scott_xP said:

Isn't his other problem that he was one of the original MPs who thought making Boris PM was a good idea?
    Making Boris PM moved him from 250/1 to favourite, so he was right on that from a tactical perspective.....
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

If he had refused to become Chancellor on Javid walking out, he would have destroyed Cummings and very possibly Johnson there and then and a great deal of aggro might have been avoided. No Chancellor a few hours before a major financial statement would have been calamitous for Johnson.

He did not make that choice.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Any graphic designers want to weigh in on Sunak's (sorry, Rishi's) campaign logo

Not sure that is official conservative blue, but the "I" also serving as an exclamation point is a nice touch.

"Ready for x" always sounds a bit weak.

Should be "Down with Dominic"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Undertook an experiment by showing pictures of all the declared or thought to be declared candidates to my go to anecdote relative - working class, 65, Boris fan - and asked for their immediate opinion just from looking at their official photos. I gave no names or details.

Tugendhat - boyish, how old is he supposed to be?
    Truss - seems alright
    Braverman - Nope
    Hunt - Looks really weird
    Mordaunt - Not sure
    Berry - looks like someone is squeezing his balls just off shot
    Baker - Looks alright.
    Zahawi - Nope
    Javid - Definitely not
    Wallace - Literally no opinion could form
    Badenoch - Seems approachable, decent
    Wiggin - untrustworthy
    Baron - too smiley (note from me: harsh, it is an official photo)
    Davis – Looks too strict

Sunak - the only one they actually recognised. 'Definitely don't trust him. Thinks because his wife is rich everyone is. Toys with people'.

Blank canvas against, Baker, Truss and Badenoch it is.

(He did accept it would take time to get used to any new people)

Badenoch will upset the race identity politics mob in other parties.

Was she not the one that Dawn Butler labelled a "Racial Gatekeeper"?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,972
    KevinB said:

Farooq said:

KevinB said:

Farooq said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

that doesn't seem true
    Inner London is quite a diverse (not in the way you have a problem with) place. The elephant and castle is somewhat different to Chelsea and Covent Garden different to Camden upon Hull. So just having lived in “inner London” doesn’t really say much as to insight.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Fucking hell.

Would it be too much to ask, just for once, for an education minister who isn't batshit crazy?

Not that it's traditionally made much difference, given the state of the department itself, but it would be a pleasant change.
  • Options
    KevinB said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW Anti-woke Conservative Common-sense Group to grill all Tory leadership candidates on Monday July 18 at 6pm.
    Expect the ‘culture wars’, statues and controversial street names to feature prominently.

I wonder if any candidate uses 'common sense' to tell them where they can stick it

They really cannot find their way out of the Wokefinder Generals clutches can they?

actually foxy a hard line on immigration plus for example a repeal of gay marriage may win them the election as it would get big red wall support...
    You think that repealing gay marriage would win the Conservatives votes in the Red Wall?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Fucking hell.

Would it be too much to ask, just for once, for an education minister who isn't batshit crazy?

Not that it's traditionally made much difference, given the state of the department itself, but it would be a pleasant change.
    Didn't we have one of those on Wednesday?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kjh said:

KevinB said:

Foxy said:

KevinB said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

i dont think you know the red wall Foxy...there is a big Muslim vote there too and a repeal of gay marriage could swing big blocks towards the conservatives

b) Why do you think Muslims in the red wall are different to Muslims in Leicester?
    I wouldn't expect our new troll to know, but they are different. Most Muslims in Leicester are Gujerati or Bengali, while those in the "Red Wall" are mostly Pakistani.

I don't find the "Red Wall" a very useful shorthand. I think old coalfields is a better description. These are places now 35 years post pit closures and strike, so different cultures and occupations.

Gay marriage will be repealed eventually Foxy as a populist govt takes power but maybe not until the 2030s...by then your views may be looking out of date and old fashioned....a bit like our gp service
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Fucking hell.

Or maybe it was Tuesday's. I lose track.
  • Options

Presumably she can't use the facilities on the Government Aircraft for Party Political activity :smile: .
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Any graphic designers want to weigh in on Sunak's (sorry, Rishi's) campaign logo

Not sure that is official conservative blue, but the "I" also serving as an exclamation point is a nice touch.

Down with Dom
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

Raab v Javid would be epic.
    If I were Raab in that situation I'd go the membership with a simple message:

Dom, or Non Dom?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Fucking hell.

I am surprised ydoethur would not praise the least disruptive Education Secretary we've ever had.
  • Options
    KevinB said:

TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

God, they’re going to get worse before they get better, aren’t they?

Yet again appealing to a shrinking and ageing segment of the electorate.

Next stop a grilling by the triple-lock conservation society followed by a multi choice test on imperial weights and measures.

the assumption the young are pro woke is wrong....yes the metropolitan middle class youth are i agree...not so much the working class youth in the north...these people are conformist but as soon as a strong leader pushes back against woke they will follow
    Attitudes towards homosexuality have changed dramatically in the last fifty years, irrespective of social class.

Everyone now has gay friends. And I mean, everyone
  • Options
    There hasn’t been a deputy leader of the commons since 2019. Boris Johnson has basically invented a job for Peter Bone.

But nah, he definitely won’t do anything mad in his lame duck.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    Fucking hell.

Not so's you'd notice.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,792
    Stumbled across this article on the Spectator front page.

"Sean Thomas
    How Boris Johnson changed my life
    8 July 2022, 2:57pm" (£)

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-boris-johnson-gave-me-a-hand-in-life
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

KevinB said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

You think that repealing gay marriage would win the Conservatives votes in the Red Wall?
    no i think restricting immigration would more but repeal of gay marriage would appeal to the sizeable muslim vote there plus many of the older red wall generation
  • Options
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

Undertook an experiment by showing pictures of all the declared or thought to be declared candidates to my go to anecdote relative - working class, 65, Boris fan - and asked for their immediate opinion just from looking at their official photos. I gave no names or details.

Truss - seems alright
    Braverman - Nope
    Mordaunt - Not sure
    Baker - Looks alright.
    Zahawi - Nope
    Javid - Definitely not
    Wiggin - untrustworthy
    Davis – Looks too strict

Sunak - the only one they actually recognised. 'Definitely don't trust him. Thinks because his wife is rich everyone is. Toys with people'.

Kemi Badenoch has been brilliant in the Equalities role, totally straight and polite as the identity politics mob went mad over her, because it should be illegal to be black and conservative. Or something.

Probably a little inexperienced for the top job right now, but maybe next time around.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Stumbled across this article on the Spectator front page.

"Sean Thomas
    How Boris Johnson changed my life
    8 July 2022, 2:57pm" (£)

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-boris-johnson-gave-me-a-hand-in-life

Hahaha oh God, is it a crywank? It's a crywank isn't it?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

kle4 said:

Truss - seems alright
    Braverman - Nope
    Mordaunt - Not sure
    Baker - Looks alright.
    Zahawi - Nope
    Javid - Definitely not
    Wiggin - untrustworthy
    Davis – Looks too strict

Kemi Badenoch has been brilliant in the Equalities role, totally straight and polite as the identity politics mob went mad over her, because it should be illegal to be black and conservative. Or something.

Probably a little inexperienced for the top job right now, but maybe next time around.
    "Identity politics mob" = weirdos on Twitter.

These issues do not matter to anyone.
  • Options
    KevinB said:

Foxy said:

kjh said:

KevinB said:

Foxy said:

KevinB said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Gay marriage will be repealed eventually Foxy as a populist govt takes power but maybe not until the 2030s...by then your views may be looking out of date and old fashioned....a bit like our gp service
    So your position is that either a majority are against gay marriage now and are being ignored, or that sometime in the next decade there will be a majority against gay marriage?

I'm really curious what your basis for that is - Is there polling showing discontent with the law, which is on the rise? Is there not a majority now, but for some reason the coming decade will see one?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,877
    boulay said:

KevinB said:

Foxy said:

kjh said:

KevinB said:

Foxy said:

KevinB said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Gay marriage will be repealed eventually Foxy as a populist govt takes power but
    maybe not until the 2030s...by then your views may be looking out of date and old fashioned....a bit like our gp service
    Yay, there we have it - MickTrain back and fell into the GP service criticism at Foxy.

And he lapsed into the matery, but doesn't sound so much like s dog-food emporium this time.
This discussion has been closed.