Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Durham police say Starmer’s “No case to answer” over Beergate – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498
    Day in the White Peak today. A pleasant and not too arduous 20 mile there-and-back bike ride along the Monsal Trail - the Peak District's top tourist attraction, I believe, and rightly so; it is almost heartbreakingly lovely - followed by lunch at a newly refurbished but very old pub in Little Hucklow, the Blind Bull. Got chatting to an American mother and daughter, and fun to see the Peak District through their eyes: the higgledy-piggledy fields, the drystone walls, the centuries-old lanes and hedgerows, the stone, the pubs... They were on an 8 day tour of England centred around a wedding in Derbyshire, but their itinerary sounded pretty good: The Minack Theatre, Kynance Cove, Clovelly, Avebury, Treak Cliff Cavern, Chatsworth House, London. I was reflecting on the itineraries-for-Americans we were discussing a few days back and thought theirs sounded pretty good.
    In common with other Americans I've met recently, they were cheerfully lamenting that their country is falling apart and may be irretrievably divided.

Anyway, the Blind Bull in Little Hucklow. Well worth a visit.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947

Thoughts and prayers for the Labour Party if the Tories elect a non white leader/PM before them.

Where's a good black welsh woman disabled trades unionist candidate when you need one?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

The video of disappointed Boris voters in the red wall posted on the last thread by MickG or whatever his name is, was very very interesting.

The media / Tories / establishment have removed “their Boris”, who they voted for “knowing full well he made mistakes, like all of us”.

They do have a point.

I know tons of people like that. Older, poorly educated, always done hard physical, boring work. (I once had a friend from Oz visit me as art of a jaunt round the UK, and he had to sit and wait for me in Pontefract town centre for a bit while I got back from somewhere. When I get there he said 'God, everyone looks like a physical wreck. They've had hard lives, you can tell.')

If they haven't stopped, they smoke baccy now, or vape, cos packets of 20 cigs are too expensive. Spent their lives reading the sun and mail at chipped formica tables in scabby work canteens. Do the lottery every single week, probably as part of a syndicate. They'll be gutted. Nice people generally, backbone of this country in many ways.

I'm not sneering at these people. I've been there and done it myself, before finally getting my shit together and going to uni when I was 27. I still drink with them. They're funny, smart, self-deprecating, fatalistic, stoic, they don't suffer fools.

It is bonkers how they identify so strongly with Johnson. My take on it is that he embodies this idea of England as they remember it from their childhood, that he promises to resurrect, that Brexit will bring back. A place where everything worked. Everyone had a job. You could get a doctor's appointment by ringing up the surgery at ten past 8, and after three rings you would be speaking to a receptionist - a human! - and get your appointment for half 11 that morning. Households could live comfortably off one wage. There were park keepers. And dog wardens. And industry. Police would turn up when your shed got broken into, no such thing as a crime number. You could get a job by showing up somewhere and asking for one, didn't have to fill out a form or have an interview. They can't understand why the world doesn't work like that anymore. And can't see why it shouldn't again.

Driven by nostalgia.

And instead of having to think about all the complicated, interconnected reasons why that world has gone, the political decisions taken, the tax cuts, the underfunding, 'trickle down', they prefer to blame foreigners. Cos it's easier. And that's what's been shovelled into their brains for decades.

Shame really. They won't change their minds now.
    Don't think they hate foreigners but many of these people don't have the financial resources to escape diversity unlike many of the woke middle class who bleat about how they love it but live well away from it
    I also don’t think they hate foreigners, at least not chiefly. Rather, they resent them for bringing un-asked for cultural change and (to their minds) over-burdening public services.

I think their chief hate is for the unaccountable elite in London who have taken away the life they think they knew.

You are wrong about the wokest middle class, though. They tend to live in areas of high multi-cultural diversity and actually can’t fathom why others would not want to do so.
    yes they do before they have kids...i agree they happily live in areas like hackney...once they have kids however they either move away from the diversity or send their kids to privare schools to escape the diversity
    you're a nasty piece of work aren't you?
    how is stating facts being nasty...or are you embarrassed by the facts
    I am not sure it was particularly nasty. Quite prejudiced and definitely not factual though. Woke folk will very rarely privately educated their children. They just try to find the highest performing state school that they can and use money and sharp elbows, along with private tutoring, to ensure they can virtue signal to their woke friends about how Sky and Summer managed to get into Oxford while still going to a state school all due to their superior (genetically inherited) intelligence.
    Oh please, like any self-respecting member of the Wokerati would name their kid after a satellite TV channel.
    Thank you for that correction also. I don't know that many woke people. What do they call their children these days? I imagine saints names are definitely out? Tarquin might be a little posh (although was the name given in Viz for thE child of Modern Parents - they were def woke)
    Yeah we avoided all names out of the bible as we aren't Christians. We chose South Asian names for our girls and a traditional English name for our son - which was very unfashionable when we chose it but is now one of the most popular boys' names in the country, so we seem to have been ahead of a trend.
    Generally speaking old fashioned traditional names are in with the Wokerati these days I think, but nothing too posh.
    I assume Nigel is not one of the more popular?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879

Thoughts and prayers for the Labour Party if the Tories elect a non white leader/PM before them.

Hats off to the blue rinsers if they do.

All I would say is at least three of four non-white candidates are the biggest bullshiners on the ballot paper (Liz Truss and Steve Baker excepted).

Edit. I forgot Cruella.
    Which one?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
    Carnyx said:

carnforth said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

The video of disappointed Boris voters in the red wall posted on the last thread by MickG or whatever his name is, was very very interesting.

The media / Tories / establishment have removed “their Boris”, who they voted for “knowing full well he made mistakes, like all of us”.

They do have a point.

I know tons of people like that. Older, poorly educated, always done hard physical, boring work. (I once had a friend from Oz visit me as art of a jaunt round the UK, and he had to sit and wait for me in Pontefract town centre for a bit while I got back from somewhere. When I get there he said 'God, everyone looks like a physical wreck. They've had hard lives, you can tell.')

If they haven't stopped, they smoke baccy now, or vape, cos packets of 20 cigs are too expensive. Spent their lives reading the sun and mail at chipped formica tables in scabby work canteens. Do the lottery every single week, probably as part of a syndicate. They'll be gutted. Nice people generally, backbone of this country in many ways.

I'm not sneering at these people. I've been there and done it myself, before finally getting my shit together and going to uni when I was 27. I still drink with them. They're funny, smart, self-deprecating, fatalistic, stoic, they don't suffer fools.

It is bonkers how they identify so strongly with Johnson. My take on it is that he embodies this idea of England as they remember it from their childhood, that he promises to resurrect, that Brexit will bring back. A place where everything worked. Everyone had a job. You could get a doctor's appointment by ringing up the surgery at ten past 8, and after three rings you would be speaking to a receptionist - a human! - and get your appointment for half 11 that morning. Households could live comfortably off one wage. There were park keepers. And dog wardens. And industry. Police would turn up when your shed got broken into, no such thing as a crime number. You could get a job by showing up somewhere and asking for one, didn't have to fill out a form or have an interview. They can't understand why the world doesn't work like that anymore. And can't see why it shouldn't again.

Driven by nostalgia.

And instead of having to think about all the complicated, interconnected reasons why that world has gone, the political decisions taken, the tax cuts, the underfunding, 'trickle down', they prefer to blame foreigners. Cos it's easier. And that's what's been shovelled into their brains for decades.

Don't think they hate foreigners but many of these people don't have the financial resources to escape diversity unlike many of the woke middle class who bleat about how they love it but live well away from it
    I also don’t think they hate foreigners, at least not chiefly. Rather, they resent them for bringing un-asked for cultural change and (to their minds) over-burdening public services.

I think their chief hate is for the unaccountable elite in London who have taken away the life they think they knew.

You are wrong about the wokest middle class, though. They tend to live in areas of high multi-cultural diversity and actually can’t fathom why others would not want to do so.
    yes they do before they have kids...i agree they happily live in areas like hackney...once they have kids however they either move away from the diversity or send their kids to privare schools to escape the diversity
    I am not sure it was particularly nasty. Quite prejudiced and definitely not factual though. Woke folk will very rarely privately educated their children. They just try to find the highest performing state school that they can and use money and sharp elbows, along with private tutoring, to ensure they can virtue signal to their woke friends about how Sky and Summer managed to get into Oxford while still going to a state school all due to their superior (genetically inherited) intelligence.
    Oh please, like any self-respecting member of the Wokerati would name their kid after a satellite TV channel.
    Thank you for that correction also. I don't know that many woke people. What do they call their children these days? I imagine saints names are definitely out? Tarquin might be a little posh (although was the name given in Viz for thE child of Modern Parents - they were def woke)
    In a posh seaside hotel recently - where I was having a sandwich not staying, obvously - I heard a mother refer to her young daughter as Elspeth. I almost choked.

No idea if they were woke, or just posh, though.
    It's actually trad Scots. Perfectly normal. Maybe not down there?
    Ah, news to me. Thanks. Perhaps I had been teed up by a very posh Oscar and Jasper heard in the previous few minutes…
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

You're not stating facts, though. You are stating opinions, or at best unsupported conjectures.
    i am stating observable facts on the ground...the woke middle class couple who move to brixton and praise the vibrancy and diversity bur dont work in the area...dont send their kids to schools in the area and dont have much contact with the diversity other than at the local restaurant...once kids are in the offing off they foxtrot to lily white guildford or sevenoaks...still praising the diversity though
    Weirdly, though, those London schools are performing better than those in the rest of the country: around half (51 per cent) of London children on free school meals achieve A* to C in English and maths GCSE, compared with a third of pupils on free school meals in all other English regions

Pretty much all the best performing local authorities for education are now in London. Tower Hamlets is fifth in the country.

The highest-placed area outside the capital is Rushcliffe in Nottinghamshire, ranked 15th-best

Doesn't this actual data - from the Government's Own "State of the Nation" report - rather give lie to your assertions?
    There was a very successful project to improve schools standards in Greater London a few years back. Blairism at its best. Almost ideology free. The after effects are still being felt.
    London Challenge.
    carnforth said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

In a posh seaside hotel recently - where I was having a sandwich not staying, obvously - I heard a mother refer to her young daughter as Elspeth. I almost choked.

Isn't that just Elizabeth? Could have easily been Bet. Or Buffy.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

Yeah we avoided all names out of the bible as we aren't Christians. We chose South Asian names for our girls and a traditional English name for our son - which was very unfashionable when we chose it but is now one of the most popular boys' names in the country, so we seem to have been ahead of a trend.
    Generally speaking old fashioned traditional names are in with the Wokerati these days I think, but nothing too posh.
    Yes, that is correct. Posh people quite favour Victorian names now, while working class people often are more original, particularly with deliberate mis-spellings of names, or use of surnames as forenames. Lots of double-barrelling too.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,593
    Carnyx said:

carnforth said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

Normal to me, though not common in wwc Cumbria. There is nothing pretentious about it.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,095
    NEW Anti-woke Conservative Common-sense Group to grill all Tory leadership candidates on Monday July 18 at 6pm.
    Expect the ‘culture wars’, statues and controversial street names to feature prominently.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1545430774006038533

I wonder if any candidate uses 'common sense' to tell them where they can stick it
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Carnyx said:

Yes, I was at school with a couple of Elspeths
    I hope neither had a speech impediment.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

carnforth said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

A acquaintance has a daughter called Elspeth. Mother definitely not woke. Scottish - I'd understood/assumed it was a Scottish name. Have heard it before.
    Just for clarity: Elspeth and Elizabeth are variants of the same basic original name.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Any graphic designers want to weigh in on Sunak's (sorry, Rishi's) campaign logo

Not sure that is official conservative blue, but the "I" also serving as an exclamation point is a nice touch.
  • Options

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

Nigel is a name heading for extinction.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,282
    Carnyx said:

Hats off to the blue rinsers if they do.

All I would say is at least three of four non-white candidates are the biggest bullshiners on the ballot paper (Liz Truss and Steve Baker excepted).

Edit. I forgot Cruella.
    Which one?
    I was thinking the MP for Bromsgrove, but I may be hopelessly wrong.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Carnyx said:

Yes, I was at school with a couple of Elspeths
    I hope neither had a speech impediment.
    That's Violet Elizabeth Bott you have in mind.
  • Options
    KevinBKevinB Posts: 109

Scott_xP said:
    Hunt can maybe forgot it now.

Looks like Sunak is running on the 'only serious adult who wont tell you fairy stories' ticket.
    This is quite good, isn't it? It has no policies whatsoever, but it embraces the "plucky immigrant family" theme in a way that I think even hard-hearted Red Wallers will find difficult to despise. The mood music really works well.
    sadly there will be many who will never vote for a black or asian pm whatever his backstory
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379

carnforth said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

Isn't it just the Scottish version of Elizabeth? My parents have a very non posh Weegie friend called Elspeth.
    McTout blows on his bagpipes, whilst Elspeth & Angus watch those notes go floating across the waves...
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,973
    kle4 said:

Any graphic designers want to weigh in on Sunak's (sorry, Rishi's) campaign logo

Not sure that is official conservative blue, but the "I" also serving as an exclamation point is a nice touch.

I’m Rishi Sunak
    I’m on the attack
    I might be tiny, honey
    But I’m all about the sound money

I wear short slacks
    And my wife pays her tax
    So follow on insta
    And make me Prime Minsta

Word
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,115
    edited July 2022
    Foxy said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

Yes, that is correct. Posh people quite favour Victorian names now, while working class people often are more original, particularly with deliberate mis-spellings of names, or use of surnames as forenames. Lots of double-barrelling too.
    In France there's a correlation between the vote share for Le Pen, and the prevalence of Anglo-Saxon first names regarded as low status.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Carnyx said:

carnforth said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

Ah, news to me. Thanks. Perhaps I had been teed up by a very posh Oscar and Jasper heard in the previous few minutes…
    Was that the art deco hotel in Morecambe or something?
  • Options

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

Nigel has gone virtually extinct for now. Common in my 1950s generation.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

Nigel is a name heading for extinction.
    What a relief. I imagine Boris and Donald may go the same way
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

NEW Anti-woke Conservative Common-sense Group to grill all Tory leadership candidates on Monday July 18 at 6pm.
    Expect the ‘culture wars’, statues and controversial street names to feature prominently.

I wonder if any candidate uses 'common sense' to tell them where they can stick it

They really cannot find their way out of the Wokefinder Generals clutches can they?

It isn't going to win them an election.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

You're not stating facts, though. You are stating opinions, or at best unsupported conjectures.
    i am stating observable facts on the ground...the woke middle class couple who move to brixton and praise the vibrancy and diversity bur dont work in the area...dont send their kids to schools in the area and dont have much contact with the diversity other than at the local restaurant...once kids are in the offing off they foxtrot to lily white guildford or sevenoaks...still praising the diversity though
    Weirdly, though, those London schools are performing better than those in the rest of the country: around half (51 per cent) of London children on free school meals achieve A* to C in English and maths GCSE, compared with a third of pupils on free school meals in all other English regions

Pretty much all the best performing local authorities for education are now in London. Tower Hamlets is fifth in the country.

The highest-placed area outside the capital is Rushcliffe in Nottinghamshire, ranked 15th-best

Doesn't this actual data - from the Government's Own "State of the Nation" report - rather give lie to your assertions?
    There was a very successful project to improve schools standards in Greater London a few years back. Blairism at its best. Almost ideology free. The after effects are still being felt.
    London Challenge.
    carnforth said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

Isn't that just Elizabeth? Could have easily been Bet. Or Buffy.
    Yes, that's right. Or maybe Greater London challenge.
    I don't know how much budget it had, but it seems to have been very effective.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,301
    Carnyx said:

carnforth said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

I know multiple Elspeths. The diminutive “Eppie” or “Ellie” is often used.

I genuinely done understand this fabrication of imaginary woke people the right of this forum come up with. It’s utterly divorced from any reality. Just a bunch of mad windmill tilting.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,115
    kle4 said:

"Ready for x" always sounds a bit weak.

• Options

Foxy said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

In France there's a correlation between the vote share for Le Pen, and the prevalence of Anglo-Saxon first names regarded as low status.
    I thought that first names in France had to be from an approved list, and that Registrars could refuse weird names.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

you've never been to sevenoaks in your life hamster boy
    Surely Kevin is a gerbil not a hamster?
    Not sure but this seems appropriate: https://youtu.be/IslF_EyhMzg?t=82
    Best not look up anything online about hamsters or gerbils.
    If this is some TSE-style use of language I'm not familiar with, then I'll pass.
    Here you go pal.

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

Alas, no.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,719
    Scott_xP said:

God, they’re going to get worse before they get better, aren’t they?

Yet again appealing to a shrinking and ageing segment of the electorate.

Next stop a grilling by the triple-lock conservation society followed by a multi choice test on imperial weights and measures.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

carnforth said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

A acquaintance has a daughter called Elspeth. Mother definitely not woke. Scottish - I'd understood/assumed it was a Scottish name. Have heard it before.
    Just for clarity: Elspeth and Elizabeth are variants of the same basic original name.
    I should think Alexander is the name with the most variants worldwide - it gets everywhere. And Elizabeth the most variants for girl's names. (I have to declare an interest, with Elisabeths and Isabels in the tribe)

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,868
    Rishi is too slick by half - he’s even created his own logo - and it insults the intelligence to suggest he is now for “seriousness, unity, and honesty” when he’s been sitting next to Boris all this time.

Plus, his record is littered with quite odd little misjudgements.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

They really cannot find their way out of the Wokefinder Generals clutches can they?

actually foxy a hard line on immigration plus for example a repeal of gay marriage may win them the election as it would get big red wall support...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Christopher Chope AND common sense have never before appeared in the same sentence. Quite possibly the most appalling member.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,478
    edited July 2022
    Foxy said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

Surnames as forenames and unconventional spellings come from America. I blame satellite telly.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Has unfortunate shades of Jeb! about it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I don't think he will be getting many prizes. Perhaps it was done on Adobe's free package.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    So apparently Germany are refusing to send a load of Fuchs APCs to Ukraine.

Apparently they don't give a Fuch for Ukraine.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

KevinB said:

Martin Lewis
    @MartinSLewis
    NEWS:
    I feel sick writing this!
    I've just got the latest price cap predictions from
    @CornwallInsight
    . A huge spike in the key year-ahead wholesale price means

OCT cap prediction UP 64% (so £3,244/yr on typical bills)
    JAN cap prediction UP 4% (so £3,363/yr)

thats about £270 a month on average...the govt will be in big trouble on this by september
    Is it the Governments fault then?
    Thankfully Labour have a comprehensive plan to tackle the exponential increase in wholesale energy prices.
    Gas is down a lot today, perhaps SKS deserves credit for that
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It’s actually ok.
    He’s spent money on it.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,230
    Carnyx said:

carnforth said:

Carnyx said:

carnforth said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

Was that the art deco hotel in Morecambe or something?
    Similar in Architecture. Saunton Sands Hotel in North Devon during a May bank holiday weekend. About £350 a night. It was quite the scene.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    KevinB said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

actually foxy a hard line on immigration plus for example a repeal of gay marriage may win them the election as it would get big red wall support...
    "a repeal of gay marriage" - Jesus wept. Do you think there is huge residual opposition among people whose main news source is US-owned social media?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

carnforth said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

John the Baptist's mum. I believe very rare in England until Good Queen Bess.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

Has unfortunate shades of Jeb! about it.
    Raab is quite interesting form a design point of view because it is almost, but not quite symmetrical
  • Options
    TimS said:

Scott_xP said:

God, they’re going to get worse before they get better, aren’t they?

Yet again appealing to a shrinking and ageing segment of the electorate.

Next stop a grilling by the triple-lock conservation society followed by a multi choice test on imperial weights and measures.

the assumption the young are pro woke is wrong....yes the metropolitan middle class youth are i agree...not so much the working class youth in the north...these people are conformist but as soon as a strong leader pushes back against woke they will follow
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,478
    It looks like normal service has been resumed in the tennis.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Christopher Chope AND common sense have never before appeared in the same sentence. Quite possibly the most appalling member.
    This is true, but that tweet is from Chris Hope, the journalist
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    So, we've got the following figures*

Tugendhat - the 'time for a fresh face' candidate
    Sunak - the 'don't rock the boat' candidate
    Truss - the 'you can compare me to Thatcher, please' candidate
    Braverman - the 'continuity' candidate
    Hunt - the 'you made a mistake last time' candidate
    Mordaunt - the 'I was in the reserves' candidate
    Berry - the 'you've never heard of me, have you?' candidate
    Baker - the 'Proper Brexiteer' candidate
    Zahawi - the candidate for people who like slithering reptiles
    Javid - the 'missed his chance, going for a last attempt' candidate
    Wallace - the 'blank canvas' candidate
    Badenoch - the 'anti-woke' candidate

*not all declared, but included as 'considering a run'

I expect blank canvas to win, if he runs and it goes to members.
  • Options

KevinB said:

Martin Lewis
    @MartinSLewis
    NEWS:
    @CornwallInsight

thats about £270 a month on average...the govt will be in big trouble on this by september
    Thankfully Labour have a comprehensive plan to tackle the exponential increase in wholesale energy prices.
    I’m going to take that as an amusing curry fart joke.

• Options
    KevinB said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Maybe the red wall in Russia, but not here!
  • Options
    Anyway, enough of this tittle tattle. Where are @HYUFD and @Leon ? I want to remind them that The Clown has resigned and laugh and laugh.
  • Options

Rishi is too slick by half - he’s even created his own logo - and it insults the intelligence to suggest he is now for “seriousness, unity, and honesty” when he’s been sitting next to Boris all this time.

Plus, his record is littered with quite odd little misjudgements.

Doncha just hope he wins?

The fun that can be had with all that non-dom naughtiness will keep us entertained for years. And if he wants our votes he will just have to give us lashings of free money...again!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

KevinB said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

That feels like quite an incredible assertion from our new poster. What does the polling say?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Foxy said:

KevinB said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Hard line on immigration? Sure. But repeal of gay marriage? Plenty of religious people don't have a problem with it, and there aren't enough hardline evangelical types to swing the red wall on that issue I think. If you had the MP vote repeated today there'd be far fewer against, once done people don't care even if they objected on 'tradition' grounds before.

My brother lives in the Red Wall, so I'm allowed to generalise about them.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

Nigel has gone virtually extinct for now. Common in my 1950s generation.
    Jason, Gary. And what happened to Dave and Steve? Not many Pauls either.
  • Options
    KevinB said:

Scott_xP said:

Looks like Sunak is running on the 'only serious adult who wont tell you fairy stories' ticket.
    This is quite good, isn't it? It has no policies whatsoever, but it embraces the "plucky immigrant family" theme in a way that I think even hard-hearted Red Wallers will find difficult to despise. The mood music really works well.
    sadly there will be many who will never vote for a black or asian pm whatever his backstory
    Dixiedean and I covered this about 22 months ago. I think the number of people who will be put off by someone brown is negligible, particularly someone like Rishi who makes no attempt to define himself by his skin colour. Dixiedean thought me too optimistic however.
  • Options
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Me too. That said there will be those that like @Leon really dislike him because he is dull. That is actually code for him having been a remainer.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,073
    kle4 said:

You forgot John Baron the 'stop the war' candidate( resigned over IDS support for Iraq and was anti Libyan intervention)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I have no preference atm; I'd like to hear them all speak.

Having said that, I'd quite like there to be a third female leader. Just so the Conservatives can look at Labour and ask them why their full-time leaders are always male... ;)
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman
    ·
    8m
    Sunak straight out of the blocks with a series of endorsers — notably Mark Harper, a thorn in Boris Johnson’s side over Covid and much else

Sunak has done very well to sign up Harper....He will settle a lot of right wing nerves...

His chancellor?

• Options
    This is a problem for Rishi...

Superb chart in @KateAndrs weekly Spectator Economics email via @spectator https://twitter.com/fletcherr/status/1545432818758590464/photo/1
  • Options
    edited July 2022

kle4 said:

'Are you Randy for Rishi?' would be worse though.

Any better alliterations?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

My mistake, I can't read. Christopher Hope. Different chap altogether.

• Options
    The number of Conservative MPs so far supporting...

Sunak: 6
    Tugendhat: 5
    Braverman: 4
    Truss: 3
    Mordaunt: 2
    Hunt: 2
    Shapps: 1
    Zahawi: 1

Drilldown:
    https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2022/07/conservative-leadership-election-who-backing-replace-boris-johnson/
  • Options

Foxy said:

KevinB said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

That feels like quite an incredible assertion from our new poster. What does the polling say?
    Apart from anything else, our not very new "pal" ignores the point that any Tory Party campaignong on that platform would have to admit that one of their key propaganda reasons for Brexit was bollocks because immigration was still uncontrolled.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

It may win them the Tory leadership election, in a tie break scenario.
  • Options
    New Tory leadership candidate klaxon 🚨🚨🚨

It’s … Bill Wiggin, the MP for North Herefordshire, who’s been canvassing MPs for support today as below 👇🏻 https://twitter.com/9andrewmcdonald/status/1545434374497353730/photo/1
  • Options

KevinB said:

Martin Lewis
    @MartinSLewis
    NEWS:
    @CornwallInsight

No that has happened on Boris' watch. Let's hope he gets all the electoral credit he deserves for that, oh wait...
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    kle4 said:

I intend to cut out and keep this handy primer because it 100% gives me everything I need to know in one sentence.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

This is true, but that tweet is from Chris Hope, the journalist
    No. I can't read. Apology and late correction down thread.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    I'd bet residual opposition to gay marriage is significantly lower in WWC red wall seats than in metropolitan London seats with large non-white Christian populations.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Cookie said:

KevinB said:

Scott_xP said:

Dixiedean and I covered this about 22 months ago. I think the number of people who will be put off by someone brown is negligible, particularly someone like Rishi who makes no attempt to define himself by his skin colour. Dixiedean thought me too optimistic however.
    I remember that well. I may well have been wrong on reflection. It won't be zero, mind. Though those who will vote positively because of it won't be either.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135
    Scott_xP said:

It’s … Bill Wiggin, the MP for North Herefordshire, who’s been canvassing MPs for support today as below 👇🏻 https://twitter.com/9andrewmcdonald/status/1545434374497353730/photo/1

Who?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

Wiggin the 'i'm married to Dave Camerons ex' candidate
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Look, I knew who Jake Berry was, but I have never heard of this character.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Who?
    Bungalow...
  • Options
    Someone asks above who I want to win.

I mean, I want a progressive government, so in that sense the worst candidate - perhaps Suella, or one of the various anonymous candidates.

In terms of who I think would actually be best for the country, I’d probably rank them:

1. Tugendhat
    2. Wallace
    3. Hunt
    4. Javid
    5. Baker
    4. Mordaunt
    5. Sunak
    6. Truss
    7. Zahawi
    8. Braverman

I don’t know Berry and various others.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I'm Zugzwang for Zahawi?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Raunchy for Rishi?
  • Options

kle4 said:

I intend to cut out and keep this handy primer because it 100% gives me everything I need to know in one sentence.
    In which case I confess I had no idea what to put for Braverman. I went with continuity on the basis she stayed until the end, and was apparently a pretty shameless hack as Attorny General to defend Boris's choices.
  • Options
    The man on the left of this batshit photo is now an education minister. https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1545428029924691970/photo/1

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Lovely Day was a great song.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

kle4 said:

It’s actually ok.
    He’s spent money on it.
    Touch of austerity about it like a supermarket value range label. Very appropriate.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

Wiggin the 'i'm married to Dave Camerons ex' candidate
    So updated that is

Wiggin - the 'i'm married to Dave Camerons ex' candidate
    Baron - the 'stop the war' candidate

There, splash it in a tweet and get temporary likes for summarising everyone instantly, which is helpful even if arbitrary.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The number of Conservative MPs so far supporting...

Sunak: 6
    Tugendhat: 5
    Braverman: 4
    Truss: 3
    Mordaunt: 2
    Hunt: 2
    Shapps: 1
    Zahawi: 1

Drilldown:
    https://sotn.newstatesman.com/2022/07/conservative-leadership-election-who-backing-replace-boris-johnson/

Braverman is the ''I can get away refugee crackdowns because i am from an ethnic minority'' candidate.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

In which case I confess I had no idea what to put for Braverman. I went with continuity on the basis she stayed until the end, and was apparently a pretty shameless hack as Attorny General to defend Boris's choices.
    In an ironic twist, the candidate for the cowardly man.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I'm Zugzwang for Zahawi?
    Zahawi the Zwischenzug chancellor
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Scott_xP said:

At least he isn't tainted by the stench of Johnson due to his ultra low profile. When my parents lived near Ledbury he was their last MP in the Leominster constituency, although they barely noticed.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,353
    Does the guy who has been asked not to attend Parliament while a possible rape case is considered get to vote?
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman
    ·
    8m
    Sunak straight out of the blocks with a series of endorsers — notably Mark Harper, a thorn in Boris Johnson’s side over Covid and much else

Sunak has done very well to sign up Harper....He will settle a lot of right wing nerves...

His chancellor?

I thought Harper might have a go himself.
    Though I'm never totally sure I'm not confusing him with someone else.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    edited July 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

carnforth said:

KevinB said:

Tres said:

KevinB said:

KevinB said:

They do have a point.

Driven by nostalgia.

John the Baptist's mum. I believe very rare in England until Good Queen Bess.
    Named after her grandmother, Elizabeth of York. Named after her mother, Elizabeth Woodville.

Also used at least twice in the Percy family, frequently in the Ferrers family, and more than once in the Mortimer family, in the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries.

Also the name of the mother of one of Henry VIII's two sons, Elizabeth Blount.

Not that rare, on the face of it...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    Oh wow, Lewis Hamilton bins it in qualifying. That never happens.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Raunchy for Rishi?
    I'm tuggin' that for Tugendhat?
  • Options

Does the guy who has been asked not to attend Parliament while a possible rape case is considered get to vote?

Depends if he’s one of the candidates. Maybe a good reason to back a woman?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

KevinB said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

i dont think you know the red wall Foxy...there is a big Muslim vote there too and a repeal of gay marriage could swing big blocks towards the conservatives
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The man on the left of this batshit photo is now an education minister. https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1545428029924691970/photo/1

Why are they doing very weak impressions of Wolfy Smith?
This discussion has been closed.