Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Durham police say Starmer’s “No case to answer” over Beergate – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,073
    Norrie getting marmalised
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

Scott_xP said:

New Tory leadership candidate klaxon 🚨🚨🚨

It’s … Bill Wiggin, the MP for North Herefordshire, who’s been canvassing MPs for support today as below 👇🏻 https://twitter.com/9andrewmcdonald/status/1545434374497353730/photo/1

At least he isn't tainted by the stench of Johnson due to his ultra low profile. When my parents lived near Ledbury he was their last MP in the Leominster constituency, although they barely noticed.
    Alicia Kearns, she of the pork pie plot, has said she will not be standing.

In response to rumours, which perhaps she started herself, that she might be.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,825
    "@mark_lynas

It's over for nuclear in Germany. The SDP-Green coalition has won a vote in the Bundestag backing more coal burning so that the three remaining nuclear plants can be switched off as planned this year. Climate targets may have to be abandoned as a result."

https://twitter.com/mark_lynas/status/1545345583262695424
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,095
    Guido’s just been told David Davis is now calling round MPs to see if it’s worth him having a crack
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    Fuck those Nazis and Dutch twats cheering at Lewis Hamilton having a crash.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,282

Someone asks above who I want to win.

I mean, I want a progressive government, so in that sense the worst candidate - perhaps Suella, or one of the various anonymous candidates.

In terms of who I think would actually be best for the country, I’d probably rank them:

1. Tugendhat
    2. Wallace
    3. Hunt
    4. Javid
    5. Baker
    4. Mordaunt
    5. Sunak
    6. Truss
    7. Zahawi
    8. Braverman

I don’t know Berry and various others.

Berry is the MP for Rossendale and is the Northern Research Group Chair who lives in Anglesey.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

It’s … Bill Wiggin, the MP for North Herefordshire, who’s been canvassing MPs for support today as below 👇🏻 https://twitter.com/9andrewmcdonald/status/1545434374497353730/photo/1

At least he isn't tainted by the stench of Johnson due to his ultra low profile. When my parents lived near Ledbury he was their last MP in the Leominster constituency, although they barely noticed.

I think someone sent her name to Fat Harry the cuck as a joke
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,498

I mean, I want a progressive government, so in that sense the worst candidate - perhaps Suella, or one of the various anonymous candidates.

In terms of who I think would actually be best for the country, I’d probably rank them:

1. Tugendhat
    2. Wallace
    3. Hunt
    4. Javid
    5. Baker
    4. Mordaunt
    5. Sunak
    6. Truss
    7. Zahawi
    8. Braverman

Your numbering has gone a bit off there.
    Baker, that's who I confuse Harper with.
    Reckon my list is not too dissimilar. Sunak probably a bit higher, Hunt a bit lower.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

Any graphic designers want to weigh in on Sunak's (sorry, Rishi's) campaign logo

Not sure that is official conservative blue, but the "I" also serving as an exclamation point is a nice touch.

It’s actually ok.
    He’s spent money on it.
    Touch of austerity about it like a supermarket value range label. Very appropriate.
    Does have overtones of "oven ready" - slightly unfortunate. But also of dinner. More positive in his context.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    OnboardG1 said:

Does the guy who has been asked not to attend Parliament while a possible rape case is considered get to vote?

Depends if he’s one of the candidates. Maybe a good reason to back a woman?
    In an ironic twist he may get publicly identified by virtue of being the only one who hasn't launched a leadership campaign.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,537

Henry Zeffman
    @hzeffman
    ·
    8m
    Sunak straight out of the blocks with a series of endorsers — notably Mark Harper, a thorn in Boris Johnson’s side over Covid and much else

So My Harper long shot has gone the way the nigels are going.

I think this race had gone boring already now we know it’s Rishi v Truss in member ballot with Truss winning as the stop Rishi candidate.

What a crazy week, but everything resolved in a few hours today - at least we know the two main party leaders going into the next general election now.
  • Options

Does the guy who has been asked not to attend Parliament while a possible rape case is considered get to vote?

Good question. Also whether Pincher and Warburton can take part.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,389

Scott_xP said:

The man on the left of this batshit photo is now an education minister. https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1545428029924691970/photo/1

Why are they doing very weak impressions of Wolfy Smith?
    It looks like the one in the centre is growing horns!
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,870
    Cookie said:

1. Tugendhat
    2. Wallace
    3. Hunt
    4. Javid
    5. Baker
    4. Mordaunt
    5. Sunak
    6. Truss
    7. Zahawi
    8. Braverman

Your numbering has gone a bit off there.
    Baker, that's who I confuse Harper with.
    Reckon my list is not too dissimilar. Sunak probably a bit higher, Hunt a bit lower.
    Yeh, my numbering’s shot.
    I know of Berry, I know of Badenoch.
    I’m inclined to have an opinion of them, but it’s insufficient for me to rank them. Barron, Wiggins et al I don’t have a danny la rue.

• Options
    Boris Johnson’s waxwork statue at London’s Madame Tussauds has been updated with a ‘Vacancy’ sign at the door of 10 Downing Street

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1545437555788759041/video/1

Also

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,388

All Tory MPs with the whip voted in the confidence vote, so assume that includes rape arrest guy, so assume they will vote in the leadership ballots.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,537
    Andy_JS said:

Good question. Also whether Pincher and Warburton can take part.
    The answer is yes on basis they could in the vonc.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Guido’s just been told David Davis is now calling round MPs to see if it’s worth him having a crack

We're going to get every Tory MP except Boris having a cracking, aren't we? Leaving the selectors as Boris and Boris alone.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,827

kle4 said:

So, we've got the following figures*

Tugendhat - the 'time for a fresh face' candidate
    Sunak - the 'don't rock the boat' candidate
    Truss - the 'you can compare me to Thatcher, please' candidate
    Braverman - the 'continuity' candidate
    Hunt - the 'you made a mistake last time' candidate
    Mordaunt - the 'I was in the reserves' candidate
    Berry - the 'you've never heard of me, have you?' candidate
    Baker - the 'Proper Brexiteer' candidate
    Zahawi - the candidate for people who like slithering reptiles
    Javid - the 'missed his chance, going for a last attempt' candidate
    Wallace - the 'blank canvas' candidate
    Badenoch - the 'anti-woke' candidate

*not all declared, but included as 'considering a run'

I expect blank canvas to win, if he runs and it goes to members.

I intend to cut out and keep this handy primer because it 100% gives me everything I need to know in one sentence.
    Berry - the Northern Powerhouse get 1/4 the way there then run out of track candidate
  • Options
    Finland just scored against Spain in the first minute
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Scott_xP said:

OH God! Please no!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

We're going to get every Tory MP except Boris having a cracking, aren't we? Leaving the selectors as Boris and Boris alone.
    Are they not allowed to vote themselves? ... er, I see now.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

OH God! Please no!
    Come on. Would be great bants.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,282
    So we could have a Prime Minister and his wife attending international diplomatic events as Sir Billy and Milly Wiggin.

Perlease, bring back Boris.
  • Options
    Unlucky...

NEW: Nadhim Zahawi gets first endorsement for leadership.

Key Red Wall MP Jonathan Gullis tells me: 'I'm hoping Nadhim puts his hat into the ring to become leader & prime minister.

'I've known him since 2010 when he became my constituency MP in the place I grew up...

'He's not just a colleague but a friend & the epitome of a Great British success story - a refugee who came to this country & is grateful to this country for making him who he is today.

'He's a self made success story, which matches the aspiration of people in Stoke-on-Trent...

'...who want access to the best education & the ability to start their own businesses.

'He backed Brexit & believes in this country. I believe he's the best candidate to lead the party & the country.'

https://twitter.com/LOS_Fisher/status/1545437975126966276
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

So we have to get used to Prime Minister Braverman?

I was thinking of moving anyway. If she becomes PM I might just decide to move to another country altogether.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    One day in, 10% of Tory MPs have already declared who they're going to support. [Includes the candidates themselves].

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ffqemZ-YOi7AvAw8HbxmMd0vIbsOXLZ7KpAmNQPD2r8/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    KevinBKevinB Posts: 109
    Penny Mordaunt been hammered on twitter for not being able to tell the difference between a man and a woman

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1545113139427123206?s=20&t=Illd6JKiDtLvu5fdD89stA
  • Options
    If Davis did stand I would rank him quite highly. Everything’s relative, there are a lot worse than him.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Boris Johnson’s waxwork statue at London’s Madame Tussauds has been updated with a ‘Vacancy’ sign at the door of 10 Downing Street

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1545437555788759041/video/1

Also

It is quite a good likeness, but doesn't look twattish enough.
  • Options
    Sunak vs Starmer, boring vs boring. Except one is a rich banker and one a working class boy done good.

What is Sunak's strategy for the Red Wall, it sounds like he's going for Cameron 2.0?

At least with him, the culture wars might finally be forgotten about.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited July 2022
    Browsed around ready4rishi.com and can’t see a manifesto.

Looking forward to the meat on the bones.

Are there any interesting policy proposals from the candidates yet?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

I think someone sent her name to Fat Harry the cuck as a joke
    Yes it was replying to him.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

well that Boris's cunning plan..then no one wins and he stays PM by default
  • Options
    KevinB said:

Penny Mordaunt been hammered on twitter for not being able to tell the difference between a man and a woman

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1545113139427123206?s=20&t=Illd6JKiDtLvu5fdD89stA

Is Laurence still around? I thought he'd run away after Max Fosh won more votes than him.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

Eliminate all the second placed candidates who get a single vote each and then appoint the winner who gets two.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Rishi Sunak should be ruled out for using the phrase "grip this moment".
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    The current monthly standard allowance for someone under 25 on Universal Credit is £265.31

The new energy price cap from October is now expected to be be £270 per month.

What a society we live in
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965
    Sunak into 7-2 with a slew of endorsements.
    I think he deserves the price, Wallace drifting to 6s.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

I was thinking of moving anyway. If she becomes PM I might just decide to move to another country altogether.
    Is bribery allowed?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,947
    edited July 2022

Sunak vs Starmer, boring vs boring. Except one is a rich banker and one a working class boy done good.

What is Sunak's strategy for the Red Wall, it sounds like he's going for Cameron 2.0?

Strategy is preserve the Blue Shires, and rely on money splashing and first time incumbency to preserve enough of the Red Wall to win. It's a big majority to lose.
  • Options
    IMHO I think Wallace will back Rishi
  • Options

He's not a banker, he's a lawyer. In fact, he was head of the CPS.
  • Options
    Tugendhat / Baker would be an interesting combo.
  • Options

If Davis did stand I would rank him quite highly. Everything’s relative, there are a lot worse than him.

Seriously? he is one of the few MPs who gives Johnson a run for his money on no attention to detail and general laziness. A premiership with him would be as chaotic as Bozo's
  • Options
    ping said:

He didn't go for .co.uk? Unpatriotic candidate.
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Seriously? he is one of the few MPs who gives Johnson a run for his money on no attention to detail and general laziness. A premiership with him would be as chaotic as Bozo's
    Laziness is not critical. See Reagan.
    Like I said, it’s all relative.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Starmer is a working class boy done good, a successful lawyer who like you said went onto head the CPS.

The other one is a rich banker.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

Is bribery allowed?
    For her? No.

For me? Well, I'll hear your offer...
  • Options
    Some of these people are just running to get later considered for ministerisl roles of course
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    ping said:

FUEL DUTY, you bunch of London-based muppets.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Starmer is a working class boy done good, a successful lawyer who like you said went onto head the CPS.

I was gently pulling your leg, Horse!
  • Options

IMHO I think Wallace will back Rishi

Wallace can act as Kingmaker and secure foreign sec if he wants it from any of the candidates imo.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

Look, I knew who Jake Berry was, but I have never heard of this character.
    Would it help if I said he's the son of the former MP for Weston-super-Mare Jerry Wiggin? Probably not! Unless you were living there in the 70s, 80s and 90s.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,827
    Andy_JS said:

One day in, 10% of Tory MPs have already declared who they're going to support. [Includes the candidates themselves].

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ffqemZ-YOi7AvAw8HbxmMd0vIbsOXLZ7KpAmNQPD2r8/edit#gid=0

Eesh. Jason McCartney supports Braverman. What the hell did Colne Valley do wrong to deserve both him and red Thelma Walker?

....elect and re-elect them, I know
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Davis is a fundamentally good guy.
    I don't think he's leadership material though. There wouldn't be any discipline.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ping said:

FUEL DUTY, you bunch of London-based muppets.
    Indeed, out here we're all obsessed with vat.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

Is bribery allowed?
    For her? No.

For me? Well, I'll hear your offer...
    I was thinking what it might take to prevent her being in charge of law and its creation.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

I was gently pulling your leg, Horse!
    Oh, oh dear.
  • Options
    Rishi's going to get creamed on raising taxes.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Rishi's going to get creamed on raising taxes.

Is that some kind of euphemism?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

I don't think he's leadership material though. There wouldn't be any discipline.
    But if he is self aware enough (dunno if he is) he could work around that.

Anyway, I wouldn’t put him top of my list.
    Mid-level.
  • Options
    So Penny Morduant is already dismissed because she's "too woke". Okay.

Refreshingly, I am not sure any of the serious candidates are particularly interested in the culture wars?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

sunak will appeal to middle class southern woke liberals who want to show they are down with diversity....with his manner he will have no appeal in the red wall...he seems like a rich elitist
  • Options
    Rishi not a hit with my WhatsApp groups which are pretty Brexity. People are deeply scarred. You can’t just reinvent yourself when you’ve been in the No.2 job.
    https://twitter.com/fifisyms/status/1545439839776133123
  • Options
    KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

sunak will appeal to middle class southern woke liberals who want to show they are down with diversity....with his manner he will have no appeal in the red wall...he seems like a rich elitist
    He's basically Cameron 2.0.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Rishi not a hit with my WhatsApp groups which are pretty Brexity. People are deeply scarred. You can’t just reinvent yourself when you’ve been in the No.2 job.
    https://twitter.com/fifisyms/status/1545439839776133123

No. 2 to a number two?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Yes, on reflection, on grounds of policy position alone, DD is now my favoured candidate.
  • Options

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

yes and times have changed dramatically since 2010
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Ah bugger Mercedes’.

Also - bloody awful to cheer those crashes. At least us brits just booed Max
  • Options

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

He really isn’t.
    It’s a measure of how far the Tory Party have gone that you think that might be true.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,629
    Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

Shouldn't be long, before Carrie announces?

True, her path may be a trifle convoluted, needing to arrange for quickie vacancy in super-safe seat, then snappy by-election, and then . . .

Ma Ferguson did it in Austin - why not Ma Johnson in London?

Of course, some unkind folks MIGHT observe that Carrie is more in mold of Ma Barker.
  • Options

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

Cameron won. I think the Tories would take that.

They'd be fools to. They need some time out of government. But they will cling to power as long as possible instead of looking at the bigger picture or the longer term.
  • Options
    Who is Boris (or Nadine) going to support?
  • Options
    I’m standing to be the next leader of the Conservative Party and your Prime Minister.

Let’s restore trust, rebuild the economy and reunite the country. #Ready4Rishi

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1545426650032111616

Idk, he sounds a bit creepy to me.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,668
    KevinB said:

Foxy said:

KevinB said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

NEW Anti-woke Conservative Common-sense Group to grill all Tory leadership candidates on Monday July 18 at 6pm.
    Expect the ‘culture wars’, statues and controversial street names to feature prominently.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1545430774006038533

I wonder if any candidate uses 'common sense' to tell them where they can stick it

They really cannot find their way out of the Wokefinder Generals clutches can they?

It isn't going to win them an election.
    actually foxy a hard line on immigration plus for example a repeal of gay marriage may win them the election as it would get big red wall support...
    Maybe the red wall in Russia, but not here!
    i dont think you know the red wall Foxy...there is a big Muslim vote there too and a repeal of gay marriage could swing big blocks towards the conservatives
    a) Gay marriage is never going to be repealed.

b) Why do you think Muslims in the red wall are different to Muslims in Leicester?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

The working class boy had the benefit of a grammar school education. :smile:
  • Options

Cookie said:

Scott_xP said:

Shouldn't be long, before Carrie announces?

True, her path may be a trifle convoluted, needing to arrange for quickie vacancy in super-safe seat, then snappy by-election, and then . . .

Ma Ferguson did it in Austin - why not Ma Johnson in London?

Of course, some unkind folks MIGHT observe that Carrie is more in mold of Ma Barker.
    Easy. Hubbie gives her a peerage in the resignation hons list.
  • Options

I’m standing to be the next leader of the Conservative Party and your Prime Minister.

Let’s restore trust, rebuild the economy and reunite the country. #Ready4Rishi

https://twitter.com/RishiSunak/status/1545426650032111616

Idk, he sounds a bit creepy to me.

Shurely not? Snakes slither.

(It is unfortunate that his name means 'snake.')
  • Options

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

He really isn’t.
    It’s a measure of how far the Tory Party have gone that you think that might be true.
    He's the only candidate I could seemingly imagine Blue Wallers actually voting for.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

Cameron won. I think the Tories would take that.

They'd be fools to. They need some time out of government. But they will cling to power as long as possible instead of looking at the bigger picture or the longer term.
    cameron wasnt facing fuel bills of >£3000 per annum and 10% inflation
  • Options
    45 MPs have declared their preference according to this list on the Conservative Home website.

https://conservativehome.com/2022/07/08/next-tory-leader-whos-backing-whom-our-working-list/
  • Options

Who is Boris (or Nadine) going to support?

I suspect there won't be too many woke folk calling their "kids" "Nadine"
  • Options
    edited July 2022

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

He really isn’t.
    He's the only candidate I could seemingly imagine Blue Wallers actually voting for.
    You mean apart from Tugendhat, Wallace, Mordaunt, Hunt, and even Javid?
  • Options
    Mark Spencer MP tells #BBCPM controversy over Rishi Sunak's family wealth and tax arrangements won't be a problem.

"There are no secrets to Riski Sunak. That's why I'm supporting him. There are no skeletons in that cupboard."
  • Options
    Rishi as PM is going to be way more thatcherism than his chancellorship I think.
    Fiscally very dry
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

The current monthly standard allowance for someone under 25 on Universal Credit is £265.31

I thought you were backing the Tories these days?
  • Options

KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

He really isn’t.
    You mean apart from Tugendhat, Wallace, Mordaunt, Hunt, and even Javid?
    None of them are likely to end up in the final two.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak is a superb politician. Who can forget his world-beating Eat Out To Spread It About angel of death act, or that time he pretended to fill up a pleb’s car with petrol and then didn’t know how to use the card machine? Truly a man to be trusted with running the country. https://twitter.com/NicholasPegg/status/1545441976476176384/photo/1
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Mark Spencer MP tells #BBCPM controversy over Rishi Sunak's family wealth and tax arrangements won't be a problem.

"There are no secrets to Riski Sunak. That's why I'm supporting him. There are no skeletons in that cupboard."

Oh blimey.

That's as reckless as @DavidL saying a batsman's now well set...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,666

Fortunately we live in a period of many job vacancies.

Current minimum wage for a 24 year old on a 37.5 hour week: £1543.75.
    Current full basic state pension for a someone born in 1950: £614.68.
    Current full basic state pension for a 67 year old: ££802.32.

• Options
    KevinB said:

Pulpstar said:

When you are incapable of nuanced argument, there is nothing like a good bit of sweeping generalisation eh? Are you a friend of HYUFD?
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Undertook an experiment by showing pictures of all the declared or thought to be declared candidates to my go to anecdote relative - working class, 65, Boris fan - and asked for their immediate opinion just from looking at their official photos. I gave no names or details.

Tugendhat - boyish, how old is he supposed to be?
    Truss - seems alright
    Braverman - Nope
    Hunt - Looks really weird
    Mordaunt - Not sure
    Berry - looks like someone is squeezing his balls just off shot
    Baker - Looks alright.
    Zahawi - Nope
    Javid - Definitely not
    Wallace - Literally no opinion could form
    Badenoch - Seems approachable, decent
    Wiggin - untrustworthy
    Baron - too smiley (note from me: harsh, it is an official photo)
    Davis – Looks too strict

Sunak - the only one they actually recognised. 'Definitely don't trust him. Thinks because his wife is rich everyone is. Toys with people'.

Blank canvas against, Baker, Truss and Badenoch it is.

(He did accept it would take time to get used to any new people)
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Does single person under 25 use energy up to the cap?
  • Options

I thought you were backing the Tories these days?
    Boris has gone.
  • Options
    This is actually happening quite quickly.
    Liz Truss really is screwed, isn’t she?

This discussion has been closed.