Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Johnson Premiership – Are we seeing the end days? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    This is arguably true

Interesting thing about this line “the greased piglet will get away again”. He never got away in the first place. He’s still not got out from under Partygate. And now he never will.
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1544334565145206787
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

Britons tend to approve of Keir Starmer's confirmation that the Labour Party will not seek for Britain to re-join the EU

All Brits
    Approve 48% / Disapprove 33%

Lab voters
    Approve 30% / Disapprove 55%

Con voters
    Approve 79% / Disapprove 11%

The mark of a good policy.

So Tories overwhelmingly approve of it.
    Presumably @HYUFD will support it then?
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,841
    Leon said:

And now, a Washington Post EDITORIAL, saying Yes, let's investigate UFOs

You don't get much more American Establishment than WaPo

So either this is an extremely high level US conspiracy to fuck with Chinese brains, or some people in Washington DC really think it is Dem Aliens

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/07/04/nasa-ufo-alien-exploration/

Robert Hyneks conversion to believer after being part of Blue Book and the early interventions of the likes of Major Donald Keyhoe plus the likes of Astronauts Gordon Cooper and Edgar Mitchell show this is neither a recent thing nor a China thing.
    Atmosphere today in Westminster somehow feels worse than before the confidence vote. Mood much darker. One MP says they had been content to wait for rule change till the autumn but now want it done before recess. Very very different tone.
    https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1544334854472585219
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,171
    polargael said:

polargael said:

The left field option: Starmer and Raynor are both fined and both resign. Lab leadership contest begins. 'Big Dog' calls snap General Election.

The risk: a spectacular gamble which blows up in the Tories' face as the opposition parties move to ensure only one anti-Tory candidate in each seat. Tories are reduced to a rump/oblivion.

The rewards: secures another 5 years before the economy hits total turdage, preserves own premiership ('Big Dog' is a winner once more), Labour et al not ready for campaign, spikes the Sturge's indyref2 plan B.

It's likely such a move would transgress several conventions, but such trifles do not bother 'Big Dog'. Place bets now...

May called a snap election when she was ahead in the polls and that went badly. Calling a snap election when you are behind in the polls is madness.
    Indeed so; however, blessed are we to be living through interesting times.

Highly improbable nonetheless, but not entirely impossible.

Sidenote: once a GE is called, it would be rather difficult/awkward in the extreme for the Tories to remove the incumbent PM.

A final thought: one should never underestimate the self-preservation instincts of a cornered rat - especially not the current occupant of No.10.
    I wouldn’t underestimate the preservation instincts of a cornered rat, but it’s not a strategy that delivers self preservation. If Johnson triggered an election, then he’s out of No. 10 in 5 weeks time. Staying put and ignoring cries for his resignation is always going to be a better strategy.

If he’s facing a new vote of confidence, the possibility of winning that vote is always going to be better than the possibility of winning a general election from the dire position he’s in.

Johnson’s go-to strategy is to hang on and hope something turns up. That’s what he’ll try.

Jonathan said:

Off to India next week. Apparently 33C, 96% humidity and constant monsoon. Any tips? Best so far….

Stay at home.
    Stay indoors.

Monsoon's lovely. Avoid the floods mind.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

As we wait for Boris to do the honourable thing....

the UAP/UFO story rumbles on, as mystifying as ever

"In April 2014, four naval aviators narrowly escaped disaster. Just as they entered highly controlled airspace for a training exercise, their two F/A-18F fighter jets nearly collided with an unidentified flying object (UFO). To the frustration of dozens of their fellow aviators, such a near-catastrophe was inevitable.

"For months before and after the incident, aircrews flying in “exclusive use” training areas off the U.S. East Coast frequently observed unknown objects exhibiting highly anomalous flight characteristics. Despite the collision hazard posed by the UFOs, aviators lacked a formal mechanism to report the mysterious objects."

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/3545072-stunned-by-ufos-exasperated-fighter-pilots-get-little-help-from-pentagon/

Lol.

You believe in UFOs and you believe in Brexit. In Ireland there are "little people" that if you catch one they will give you a wish. In Cornwall they have similar folk. Also I have a bridge I would like to sell you.

You, Sir, are the leaking rectum of a louse
    Hehe, fair play, a most excellent insult. I shall not try to respond. That was an unplayable ace!

You're welcome, and thankyou for the compliment

On a more serious note, there really is, still, a UFO story that needs to be addressed, inasmuch as, if you refuse to believe in UFOs (and fair enough, the evidence is weak), then you have to explain why the American Establishment is behaving so oddly

This video is REALLY worth watching, as it threads that argument together

https://twitter.com/AdamGoldsack/status/1543833019705950209?s=20&t=NTcHEXq1aARg4seDhYxQiA

It will take 5 minutes of your time. At the end you have to ask: why are these senior people saying these strange things

In particular look out for minute 2:40 and minute 3:10. In the first one the ex Director of the CIA looks absolutely tortured, and agonised, as he says these things could be "other forms of life". In the second the Director of National Intelligence struggles to say the word "extra terrestrial" as she admits these might be "extra terrestrials"

Why are they tortured and struggling? Is it because they are part of some grand conspiracy to hoodwink the Chinese and it makes them unhappy? Have these top people simply gone mad? Are they acting? One explanation is that they genuinely think these might be extra terrestrials but the idea is so, er, alien, they find it hard to say

Let me know your thoughts
    Biden could shake hands with a Grey on the WH lawn and some people would still think it was an 'and finally' story.
    They're here. 100%. End.
    Fascinating. I trust your opinion more than most opinions on PB. You really think it is aliens?
    I see two options, both earth altering

1) technology exists and is in practical use beyond our conventonal understanding of Newtonian physics
    2) its Aliens/non homo sapiens

I believe its probably 2
    If 1, it raises the question of who has developed that technology? Is it i) a state or ii) a series of states working in concert or iii) a series of states working in competition or iv) a crazy wealthy individual with or without a volcano base. If i) then you would think that it could be possible to use it to swat somebody like Putin as an annoying bug. ii) is the least worrying option, iii) is like the race for the Bomb cubed. iv) leaves the notion that someone like Musk can do stuff which scares the shit out of word Governments - because they do not have the military capacity to stop them, even with the best they have.

Of course, it is possible that any of i) to iv) are a hybrid of 1 and 2 - this effort with this technology is supported by aliens.

Yes, quite!
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    Scott_xP said:

A Cabinet Office contact writes “there’s a ‘Final Days of Rome’ atmosphere today”. A No. 10 contact says: “There does seem to be an air of oh-for-f***’s-sake about. Definitely not as buoyant as before.” ~AA
    https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1544332535957692417

Some in Westminster will take that as a final days of the Treaty of Rome - and be quite satisfied it's a job done well....
    TimS said:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

38*C now

Same here in Corfu. Well probably. Local thermometer not that reliable.
    If several of the recent model runs are to be believed (including today's latest GFS run) we'll be hitting 39 or 40C in the UK sometime in the next 2 weeks, and mid 40s in France.
    GFS to be believed 10 days out? Probably not. But the potential is obviously there.

40C is definitely in the range of possibilities if everything lines up.

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten.php?map=20&model=gfs&var=17&time=252&run=6&lid=OP&h=0&mv=0&tr=6
    F me sideways.
    That's between 17 and 24°C here!!
    Lol. Mind you, the only time I've come near to having heat stroke was in Scotland...

It actually has 41C for the following day in the south, but that's even less believable.

Over 35C is a serious health problem though.
    What does seem to be nailed on is an exceptionally hot airmass emerging out of North Africa and heading out into Europe via Iberia. Whether it gets to us or curves over towards the Alps remains to be seen. But the ECMWF, GFS and Met models all show similar evolutions, and most get us into the mid 30s at some stage.

Yay - should bring some interesting migrant moths....
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,588
    Scott_xP said:

Just heard an interesting snippet.

David Davis is making himself available to constituency associations round the country for speeches and events...

If he was the fearless upholder of liberty he used to claim to be, he could call a vanity by election in Haltemprice and Howden. It's not so big and clever pulling an expensive stunt like that in a climate where he might lose I don't suppose.
    There is speculation that ministerial resignations might follow in coming hours or days.

One female minister was said to be in tears this morning as they tried to decide whether or not to resign.

https://twitter.com/politicshome/status/1544335118864683008

They tied their career to BoZo. This is their reward...
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,934
    OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

"In April 2014, four naval aviators narrowly escaped disaster. Just as they entered highly controlled airspace for a training exercise, their two F/A-18F fighter jets nearly collided with an unidentified flying object (UFO). To the frustration of dozens of their fellow aviators, such a near-catastrophe was inevitable.

"For months before and after the incident, aircrews flying in “exclusive use” training areas off the U.S. East Coast frequently observed unknown objects exhibiting highly anomalous flight characteristics. Despite the collision hazard posed by the UFOs, aviators lacked a formal mechanism to report the mysterious objects."

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/3545072-stunned-by-ufos-exasperated-fighter-pilots-get-little-help-from-pentagon/

Lol.

You believe in UFOs and you believe in Brexit. In Ireland there are "little people" that if you catch one they will give you a wish. In Cornwall they have similar folk. Also I have a bridge I would like to sell you.

Hehe, fair play, a most excellent insult. I shall not try to respond. That was an unplayable ace!

On a more serious note, there really is, still, a UFO story that needs to be addressed, inasmuch as, if you refuse to believe in UFOs (and fair enough, the evidence is weak), then you have to explain why the American Establishment is behaving so oddly

https://twitter.com/AdamGoldsack/status/1543833019705950209?s=20&t=NTcHEXq1aARg4seDhYxQiA

It will take 5 minutes of your time. At the end you have to ask: why are these senior people saying these strange things

In particular look out for minute 2:40 and minute 3:10. In the first one the ex Director of the CIA looks absolutely tortured, and agonised, as he says these things could be "other forms of life". In the second the Director of National Intelligence struggles to say the word "extra terrestrial" as she admits these might be "extra terrestrials"

Why are they tortured and struggling? Is it because they are part of some grand conspiracy to hoodwink the Chinese and it makes them unhappy? Have these top people simply gone mad? Are they acting? One explanation is that they genuinely think these might be extra terrestrials but the idea is so, er, alien, they find it hard to say

If I were to take a guess, they’re trying not to say “we think something, somehow penetrated our airspace and we’re worried it’s the Chinese and it’s very embarrassing for the largest military in the world to be comprehensively debagged”.
    Like when that Chinese submarine surfaced in the middle of an American fleet?
    Wasn’t that a Swedish sub on a NATO exercise? Or have there been multiple occurrences that I missed?
    This one:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-492804/The-uninvited-guest-Chinese-sub-pops-middle-U-S-Navy-exercise-leaving-military-chiefs-red-faced.html
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,268

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Biden could shake hands with a Grey on the WH lawn and some people would still think it was an 'and finally' story.
    They're here. 100%. End.
    Fascinating. I trust your opinion more than most opinions on PB. You really think it is aliens?

1) technology exists and is in practical use beyond our conventonal understanding of Newtonian physics

I believe its probably 2
    If 1, it raises the question of who has developed that technology? Is it i) a state or ii) a series of states working in concert or iii) a series of states working in competition or iv) a crazy wealthy individual with or without a volcano base. If i) then you would think that it could be possible to use it to swat somebody like Putin as an annoying bug. ii) is the least worrying option, iii) is like the race for the Bomb cubed. iv) leaves the notion that someone like Musk can do stuff which scares the shit out of word Governments - because they do not have the military capacity to stop them, even with the best they have.

Of course, it is possible that any of i) to iv) are a hybrid of 1 and 2 - this effort with this technology is supported by aliens.

Possibility 3: a non-US power or agency has realised the ability to "fake" aliens, by projecting holograms or somesuch, tho this raises the question how and why they've been able to do it for decades (apparently)

Possiblity 4: we are seeing a genuine mass groupthink meltdown in elite America, which seems unlikely but then every explanation is unlikely

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

My scientific training causes me to be open minded, but evidence based. I am also sceptical about people who want to believe in something where all the evidence suggests that something does not exist. I am not saying UFOs cannot exist, it is just that it is massively unlikely. The balance of probability is that it is all nonsense. I will take a look at it later, but must do some work. I will also think of a similarly amusing insult for you at a later date!
    I am explicitly saying it is probably not "aliens"

If it is aliens where are the 1000s of photos and videos? We all have smartphones. It doesn't add up. I don't believe Will Smith is going round erasing the memories and phones of millions of witnesses

But that leaves us with the mystery of American behaviour. All these top people, from Obama down, saying this weird shit. And some of them saying it with anguished body language, which suggests something going on under the surface
    Where are the photos? Is not a slam dunk argument.

Take a bird like the snipe. Little brown fuckers, not rare, really difficult to shoot because they stay low and jink, hence why snipers are called snipers. If their existence were called in question it would be as difficult to prove it by photos as it is to shoot them

Exhibit b is big cats in Devon and Cornwall. Nobody serious disputes they are out there but no decent focused photos. It's harder than it looks
    Interesting

Yet those US pilots report being buzzed by these UFOS every day for two years. And the UFOs are not tiny birds, these are considerable "aircraft" that attain great speed and show advanced maneuverability. So they must be easily visible to the naked eye

So where are the videos and photos of these? I'd whip my bloody iPhone out, sharpish

The whole thing is deeply confounding. I've thought about it hard and I can't find one easy single explanation
    I can - lies
    Who is lying, and why?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

They're here. 100%. End.

I believe its probably 2

Odd physics being discovered these days. I'll throw a possible explanation out there - and that's that whats being seen are effects somehow proapagating back in time. Completely wild nonsense, but it would explain why these effects are seen in US military operational areas, and that's that they're still operational areas in the future.

I'm not even remotely suggesting this is the case, but it's no more weird than the two explanations above.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,150

Jonathan said:

Which happens first?

Boris resigns
    Aliens announced

Aliens announce Boris resignation.
    Yes, imagine how that message would go out across the galaxy FTL. The final answer to what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object.
    This is amazing. A minister in the Lords reading out a statement defending the government's commitment to standards in public life as if it's a big joke. To be fair, his comic timing is excellent. Cabinet minister Nathalie Evans can hardly contain herself https://twitter.com/Direthoughts/status/1544327853701058560
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010
    Scott_xP said:

This is amazing. A minister in the Lords reading out a statement defending the government's commitment to standards in public life as if it's a big joke. To be fair, his comic timing is excellent. Cabinet minister Nathalie Evans can hardly contain herself https://twitter.com/Direthoughts/status/1544327853701058560

In the manner of Ronnie Barker?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,588
    Scott_xP said:

Atmosphere today in Westminster somehow feels worse than before the confidence vote. Mood much darker. One MP says they had been content to wait for rule change till the autumn but now want it done before recess. Very very different tone.
    https://twitter.com/jessicaelgot/status/1544334854472585219

Come on Jo Farrell, Johnson is relying on you!
    Scott_xP said:

Having Lord True reading it out is the ultimate trolling.

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

38*C now

Same here in Corfu. Well probably. Local thermometer not that reliable.
    If several of the recent model runs are to be believed (including today's latest GFS run) we'll be hitting 39 or 40C in the UK sometime in the next 2 weeks, and mid 40s in France.
    GFS to be believed 10 days out? Probably not. But the potential is obviously there.

40C is definitely in the range of possibilities if everything lines up.

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten.php?map=20&model=gfs&var=17&time=252&run=6&lid=OP&h=0&mv=0&tr=6
    F me sideways.
    That's between 17 and 24°C here!!
    Lol. Mind you, the only time I've come near to having heat stroke was in Scotland...

It actually has 41C for the following day in the south, but that's even less believable.

Over 35C is a serious health problem though.
    What does seem to be nailed on is an exceptionally hot airmass emerging out of North Africa and heading out into Europe via Iberia. Whether it gets to us or curves over towards the Alps remains to be seen. But the ECMWF, GFS and Met models all show similar evolutions, and most get us into the mid 30s at some stage.

Yay - should bring some interesting migrant moths....
    Now, now, none of this alien business. You'll trigger Leon.
  • OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,272

OnboardG1 said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

If I were to take a guess, they’re trying not to say “we think something, somehow penetrated our airspace and we’re worried it’s the Chinese and it’s very embarrassing for the largest military in the world to be comprehensively debagged”.
    Like when that Chinese submarine surfaced in the middle of an American fleet?
    Wasn’t that a Swedish sub on a NATO exercise? Or have there been multiple occurrences that I missed?
    This one:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-492804/The-uninvited-guest-Chinese-sub-pops-middle-U-S-Navy-exercise-leaving-military-chiefs-red-faced.html
    Similar situation. Diesel-electric subs are really hard to detect even with modern sonar.
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Having Lord True reading it out is the ultimate trolling.
    We are almost in the world of Jonathan Swift.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    2m
    🧐 Save big dog latest... told PM is working the tearoom to try sooth Tory MPs anger.

V unusual for the middle of a day on a Tuesday... things must be even worse than they look on the airwaves.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,583
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

My scientific training causes me to be open minded, but evidence based. I am also sceptical about people who want to believe in something where all the evidence suggests that something does not exist. I am not saying UFOs cannot exist, it is just that it is massively unlikely. The balance of probability is that it is all nonsense. I will take a look at it later, but must do some work. I will also think of a similarly amusing insult for you at a later date!

If it is aliens where are the 1000s of photos and videos? We all have smartphones. It doesn't add up. I don't believe Will Smith is going round erasing the memories and phones of millions of witnesses

But that leaves us with the mystery of American behaviour. All these top people, from Obama down, saying this weird shit. And some of them saying it with anguished body language, which suggests something going on under the surface

Take a bird like the snipe. Little brown fuckers, not rare, really difficult to shoot because they stay low and jink, hence why snipers are called snipers. If their existence were called in question it would be as difficult to prove it by photos as it is to shoot them

Exhibit b is big cats in Devon and Cornwall. Nobody serious disputes they are out there but no decent focused photos. It's harder than it looks
    Interesting

Yet those US pilots report being buzzed by these UFOS every day for two years. And the UFOs are not tiny birds, these are considerable "aircraft" that attain great speed and show advanced maneuverability. So they must be easily visible to the naked eye

So where are the videos and photos of these? I'd whip my bloody iPhone out, sharpish

The whole thing is deeply confounding. I've thought about it hard and I can't find one easy single explanation
    It's the simulation messing with you. :smile:
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited July 2022
    Carnyx said:

Yes, imagine how that message would go out across the galaxy FTL. The final answer to what happens when an irresistible force meets an immovable object.

I really don't think they flew 90 billion light years to come down here and start a fight...I mean announce the end of Boris.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

They're here. 100%. End.

I believe its probably 2

Possibility 3: a non-US power or agency has realised the ability to "fake" aliens, by projecting holograms or somesuch, tho this raises the question how and why they've been able to do it for decades (apparently)

Possiblity 4: we are seeing a genuine mass groupthink meltdown in elite America, which seems unlikely but then every explanation is unlikely
    Possibility 5: a few world agencies know about the certainty of intelligent alien life. May have been working with it for decades, or maybe just watching them watching us.

But the view has been taken that human life would just stop on so many levels if the US President goes on telly admitting they are real - "we are not alone" Can you IMAGINE the network news? Nothing else would get a word for weeks, months. Religions might melt down. People would demand to know "Are they hostile?" and take to the hills, regardless of the answers.

Basically: "We can't handle the truth".
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    edited July 2022
    As I said earlier, the government’s flagrant disregard for truth, ethics or even law (NIP etc) invites civil disobedience.

Hopefully we are seeing the final shitterdämmerung.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Interesting

I can - lies
    Who is lying, and why?
    Now THAT is the right question.

Seriously - if US pilots are seeing these things all the time, presumably there is headcam footage? Or cockpit footage?
    Nope?
    Then I have to ask why.
    See also millions of airline passengers over the last 20 years with cameras on their phones - did none of them see these UFO's?
    eek said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    2m
    🧐 Save big dog latest... told PM is working the tearoom to try sooth Tory MPs anger.

V unusual for the middle of a day on a Tuesday... things must be even worse than they look on the airwaves.

How can that possibly work?

They hate him because he lies all the time, and gets caught. What can he say to alter that?
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

They're here. 100%. End.

I believe its probably 2

The theory that this is aliens and has all been covered up stems from the 1952 DC flyover. The Aliens basically demonstrated they could go where they wanted, when they wanted and the US establishment collectively wet its pants. Prior to this research was open, undecided and there was genuine scientific curiosity. Immediately after everything was set to 'debunk' mode and aimed at hushing it all up/mocking it to provoke disbelief. All ultimately to avoid the panic from 'we are not in control of our skies'
    My sources tell me that Johnson is considering a snap election.
    https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1544334006883389442
    The Tories need to ask themselves, not, “who can win the next election”, but “who is a capable and honest administrator during this economic storm”.

Is there one?

I don’t know.
    Scott_xP said:

eek said:

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    2m

How can that possibly work?

They hate him because he lies all the time, and gets caught. What can he say to alter that?
    And has recently said that he won't change.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,970
    So anyone offering odds on Boris Johnson visiting Ukraine in the next 48 hours?
    Scott_xP said:

He must certainly be considering it.

He has very very few options left, and the last time he “gambled big”, he won.

It’s not impossible, with the consent of his party, he could do so again.

He is due at the liaison committee tomorrow, so Kyiv nailed on...

As I said earlier, the government’s flagrant disregard for truth, ethics or even law (NIP etc) invites civil disobedience.

The problem for the tories is that the impacts of some of the Johnson government's decisions are only starting to hit home.

Things will be getting much worse in the coming months. All the while, they will be gazing at their navels, trying to find the best person to clean up the mess.
    Scott_xP said:

That's deleted and been replaced with https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1544336784368304128

Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    ·
    17m
    OK guys. I assumed this was such a stupidly moronic insane suggestion, that you would obviously realise I was joking. https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1544334006883389442
    This Tweet was deleted by the Tweet author. Learn more
    Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    ·
    16m
    My god you have all actually completely lost it.
    Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    You see the joke was that they keep briefing stupid stories about the fact there is going to be an election even though it would be insane to have an election. And after today it would obviously be more insane.
    4:05 PM · Jul 5, 2022 from City of London, London·Twitter for Android
    Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    ·
    10m
    Replying to
    @chriscurtis94
    No really, he isn't going to call an election, and people that day otherwise are talking crap. Even if he tried to call an election, the cabinet won't let him have an election. The idea is completely bananas. I thought this was assumed.
    Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    ·
    5m
    If he calls an election in the next week I will run down Whitehall in my underwear as the exit poll is being released. It isn't going to happen.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,056
    https://www.newstatesman.com/society/2022/07/60-per-cent-brits-average-income

“Sixty per cent of Brits earning £80,000-£100,000 say they’re “about average”
    Highly paid people tend to see themselves as “normal” on the income scale – and “worse off” than their social circle.”
    Scott_xP said:

He needs the entire Party onside for that. Especially the people funding it.

Not. Happening.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Scott_xP said:

That would be totally a nuclear option. Is there anything the backbenchers could do to stop him?
    "...the right of the people peaceably to assemble..." was also mentioned in the Constitution somewhere, I think.

https://twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1544331069931003907
    NEW: Gunfire at a park along the Mississippi River near downtown Minneapolis wounded 8 people, some of them with critical injuries, officials said.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,169
    Scott_xP said:

He is due at the liaison committee tomorrow, so Kyiv nailed on...
    https://twitter.com/mrjohnofarrell/status/1544259833385328640?s=20&t=bVpsrxG1xsLPRXu543GMdg
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 6,773

Scott_xP said:

Even before the latest scandal, the PM's ratings were absolutely dire. Disapproval is headed back to the peak of partygate revelations at the turn of the year and three quarters of the public think Boris Johnson is untrustworthy. https://twitter.com/drjennings/status/1544319131679424512/photo/1

The one quarter who think Boris “trustworthy” are the UK equivalent of those Americans who confirm to pollsters that they have been decapitated.
    You can trust Boris…

You can trust that he will always be a self-interested toerag.
    Not very fair to compare a tribe of nomadic people from the Sahara with Boris Johnson
    Toerag. Not Tureag…

Scott_xP said:

Even before the latest scandal, the PM's ratings were absolutely dire. Disapproval is headed back to the peak of partygate revelations at the turn of the year and three quarters of the public think Boris Johnson is untrustworthy. https://twitter.com/drjennings/status/1544319131679424512/photo/1

The one quarter who think Boris “trustworthy” are the UK equivalent of those Americans who confirm to pollsters that they have been decapitated.
    You can trust Boris…

Not very fair to compare a tribe of nomadic people from the Sahara with Boris Johnson
    Toerag. Not Tureag…
  • fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Scott_xP said:

Just desperate, not even Boris would risk leaving Office in the way John Major did in 1997..

When Zelensky stops taking your calls....

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Interesting

I can - lies
    Who is lying, and why?

Seriously - if US pilots are seeing these things all the time, presumably there is headcam footage? Or cockpit footage?
    Nope?
    Then I have to ask why.
    See also millions of airline passengers over the last 20 years with cameras on their phones - did none of them see these UFO's?
    So... you have no answer or theory. OK
    The killer of Maltese journalist Caruana Galizia confesses.

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1544335217409810433
    "If I knew, I would have gone for 10 million. Not 150,000," he said, referring to the sum in euros that he said he was paid for killing the journalist.

"For me it was just business. Yeah. Business as usual!" he told a Reuters reporter. He later added, "Of course I feel sorry."..

Scott_xP said:

I know its completely different, and I know its Godwin's law, but something about Johnson and his travails, and his gambling, remind me of the greatest gambler in history, shacked up in his bunker in 1945.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

That's deleted and been replaced with https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1544336784368304128

Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    ·
    17m
    OK guys. I assumed this was such a stupidly moronic insane suggestion, that you would obviously realise I was joking. https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1544334006883389442
    Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    ·
    16m
    Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    You see the joke was that they keep briefing stupid stories about the fact there is going to be an election even though it would be insane to have an election. And after today it would obviously be more insane.
    Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    ·
    10m
    Replying to
    @chriscurtis94
    No really, he isn't going to call an election, and people that day otherwise are talking crap. Even if he tried to call an election, the cabinet won't let him have an election. The idea is completely bananas. I thought this was assumed.
    Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    ·
    5m
    If he calls an election in the next week I will run down Whitehall in my underwear as the exit poll is being released. It isn't going to happen.
    Dunno who Curtis is but never seen a clearer illustration that explaining equals losing
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

If I was betting on a resignation, I’d tip Patel or Coffey.

The others are generally so “in blood steeped” by the Boris project that there is not much point.

Gove probably thinks he has done it once already and it’s someone else’s turn; Wallace will tell himself the Ukraine effort is more important; Raab, Dorries and scores of others are gone the moment Boris goes.

I have my eye on Patel as the one to do the deed. She's been very quiet. She was not at all supportive over Cummings or Jenrick. She has a certain amount of low cunning.

Scott_xP said:

You can trust Boris…

Toerag. Not Tureag…
    Or even Tuareg ...
    carnforth said:

Highly paid people tend to see themselves as “normal” on the income scale – and “worse off” than their social circle.”

It’s possible they are “worse off” due to housing costs.

If, like my friends, you are given a £3m house to live in - which is more common sadly than you’d think, in the London middle classes - then your non-asset rich peers basically need to work their whole careers with a considerably higher salary to match.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    carnforth said:

Rich Bastards Who Need To be Taxed More are easily defined.

They are people who earn more than twice your own earnings.
    edited July 2022
    Boris Johnson's position is now simple untenable! Only question now is, will Cabinet Ministers even wait to see the 'public' mood of Conservatives backbenchers at PMQs tomorrow as Boris tries to bluff his away through it, or will they accept the game is up and tell him today to resign for the greater good of the party?!
    fitalass said:

Boris Johnson't position is now simple untenable! Only question now is, will Cabinet Ministers even wait to see the 'public' mood of Conservatives backbenchers at PMQs tomorrow as Boris tries to bluff his away through it, or will they accept the game is up and tell him today to resign for the greater good of the party?!

Yebbut that would entail asking Boris Johnson to do something that was not in his personal interest.

So....
    edited July 2022

Scott_xP said:

I know its completely different, and I know its Godwin's law, but something about Johnson and his travails, and his gambling, remind me of the greatest gambler in history, shacked up in his bunker in 1945.
    Putting aside the Godwinism etc, I’m not sure it is such a fruitful comparison.

Mussolini maybe more apt.

Britons tend to approve of Keir Starmer's confirmation that the Labour Party will not seek for Britain to re-join the EU

All Brits

Lab voters

Con voters

Popularity =/= good policy

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

They're here. 100%. End.

I believe its probably 2

The theory that this is aliens and has all been covered up stems from the 1952 DC flyover. The Aliens basically demonstrated they could go where they wanted, when they wanted and the US establishment collectively wet its pants. Prior to this research was open, undecided and there was genuine scientific curiosity. Immediately after everything was set to 'debunk' mode and aimed at hushing it all up/mocking it to provoke disbelief. All ultimately to avoid the panic from 'we are not in control of our skies'
    Never heard of Hyneck before. Fascinating guy. Compelling life story
    IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    ·
    17m
    Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    ·
    16m
    Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    ·
    10m
    Replying to
    @chriscurtis94
    Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    ·
    5m
    Dunno who Curtis is but never seen a clearer illustration that explaining equals losing
    He's head of Political polling at @OpiniumResearch

But the interesting bit is that the idea of Bozo calling an election should be seen as a complete joke based on polling yet sane people believe it's possible because

1) Bozo is a clown
    2) Seemingly people were saying such things a couple of weeks back to take advantage were SKS to get a FPN..
    Keir’s is of course the only EU policy in a country still split on Europe. It’s sensible and doesn’t frighten any horses.

I just wish he hadn’t had referred to “Brexit opportunities”, which is an unnecessary kowtowing to delusion.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited July 2022
    carnforth said:

The staple of the Telegraph article, of the £90k middle manager in the Home Counties, struggling with his massive mortgage and two sets of school fees, wondering if they can afford to do both Christmas in Dubai and half term in Corcheval this year, thinking that the inability do to both makes them poor.

Keir’s is of course the only EU policy in a country still split on Europe. It’s sensible and doesn’t frighten any horses.

I just wish he hadn’t had referred to “Brexit opportunities”, which is an unnecessary kowtowing to delusion.

I know the strategy behind the opportunities.

He’s going to call for VAT to be zero rated for energy bills.

All Brits

Lab voters

Con voters

Popularity =/= good policy
    Politically it's a great policy - it wins back labour voters who in 2019 voted Bozo while having a minimal impact on Remainers who will have a choice between voting Lib Dem or continuing to vote Labour and most will have little choice but to do the latter come an election.

Whether it's a great policy financially and otherwise it's not but to return to the EU will take a lot of time and probably longer than the next Parliament regardless of our desires...
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,010

Scott_xP said:

You can trust Boris…

Toerag. Not Tureag…
    As good now as it's ever been:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6jesg5MYOs
  • Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

They're here. 100%. End.

I believe its probably 2

Odd physics being discovered these days. I'll throw a possible explanation out there - and that's that whats being seen are effects somehow proapagating back in time. Completely wild nonsense, but it would explain why these effects are seen in US military operational areas, and that's that they're still operational areas in the future.

I'm not even remotely suggesting this is the case, but it's no more weird than the two explanations above.
    The earth is rotating on its axis and orbiting the sun in a system that itself is moving relative to the rest of the universe, so I would be surprised if jumps back in time were jumps back to the same place.
  • polargaelpolargael Posts: 8

polargael said:

polargael said:

The left field option: Starmer and Raynor are both fined and both resign. Lab leadership contest begins. 'Big Dog' calls snap General Election.

The risk: a spectacular gamble which blows up in the Tories' face as the opposition parties move to ensure only one anti-Tory candidate in each seat. Tories are reduced to a rump/oblivion.

The rewards: secures another 5 years before the economy hits total turdage, preserves own premiership ('Big Dog' is a winner once more), Labour et al not ready for campaign, spikes the Sturge's indyref2 plan B.

It's likely such a move would transgress several conventions, but such trifles do not bother 'Big Dog'. Place bets now...

May called a snap election when she was ahead in the polls and that went badly. Calling a snap election when you are behind in the polls is madness.

Sidenote: once a GE is called, it would be rather difficult/awkward in the extreme for the Tories to remove the incumbent PM.

A final thought: one should never underestimate the self-preservation instincts of a cornered rat - especially not the current occupant of No.10.
    I wouldn’t underestimate the preservation instincts of a cornered rat, but it’s not a strategy that delivers self preservation. If Johnson triggered an election, then he’s out of No. 10 in 5 weeks time. Staying put and ignoring cries for his resignation is always going to be a better strategy.

If he’s facing a new vote of confidence, the possibility of winning that vote is always going to be better than the possibility of winning a general election from the dire position he’s in.

Johnson’s go-to strategy is to hang on and hope something turns up. That’s what he’ll try.

A snap GE would be shit or bust for sure. As for the dire position, in the circumstances, Labour are underperforming in the opinion polls. Who knows what effect a double FPN on Starmer and Raynor would have on the ratings? Also, Scotland... If there's a scintilla of weakness, it may - just about - be worth rolling the dice. Plus, Crosby's back. He'll bore down through the gutter to take the fight to the opposition.

The other point is, if not now/soon, then when? The economic situation is deteriorating daily and by 2024 will be too far gone for any incumbent Govt to have a chance of winning. Think: inflation at 20+%, deep recession, spiking interest rates, home repossessions, negative equity, rising unemployment. It's going to be Biblical. It cannot be anything else after the longest period of artifically supressed interest rates in recorded history and, latterly, spraying QE all over the real economy. No Govt will survive that in any event.
    edited July 2022
    Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

The staple of the Telegraph article, of the £90k middle manager in the Home Counties, struggling with his massive mortgage and two sets of school fees, wondering if they can afford to do both Christmas in Dubai and half term in Corcheval this year.
    Absolutely, apart from Christmas in Dubai, since Dubai is essentially non-U.

Middle class inflation has been very bad over the last generation, the lifestyle previously enjoyed by quite middling types* is pretty much out of reach now for most.

*Kids in private school. House with grounds in Home Counties. Newish car, and another “runaround”. Second home somewhere in England or France.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

They're here. 100%. End.

I believe its probably 2

For someone with your interest in UFO's to have not encountered Hyneck is amazing. Project Bluebook, Grudge, MJ-12 - its all been out there before. My skepticism is largely based on a long time interest in all things Fortean, and a longstanding disappointment that in an era where everyone has cameras ALL THE TIME, we are no closer to getting conclusive proof of all these odd things that people say happen to them.

Take ABC (anomalous big cats) - as @IshmaelZ says most people in Devon and Cornwall accept them as reality, yet decent photo/film evidence is lacking. Author Merily Harpur goes so far as to propose that they are not actually flesh and blood creatures. By now, with the number of sightings, sometimes really close up, we should have better photos.

I know the strategy behind the opportunities.

He’s going to call for VAT to be zero rated for energy bills.
    OK but hasn’t that been done by some EU countries already?
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,846
    edited July 2022
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Interesting

I can - lies
    Who is lying, and why?

Nope?
    Then I have to ask why.
    In science theories (or perhaps more accurately hypotheses) are built up from observational evidence and data collection. Until such times as you or other 'Alien' advocates can provide such observational evidence there is nothing upon which to construct a theory.

If you want to see someone doing a good job of debunking many of these UFO stories then try reading the Skeptoid Blog. The latest one on the Chilean Navy UFO case is a good example.

https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4838
    Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

The staple of the Telegraph article, of the £90k middle manager in the Home Counties, struggling with his massive mortgage and two sets of school fees, wondering if they can afford to do both Christmas in Dubai and half term in Corcheval this year, thinking that the inability do to both makes them poor.
    Courchevel

People go to Dubai 4 Xmas?
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,915
    carnforth said:

Just bizarre. Perhaps reflects the narrow social circle of some of these people. If you went to private school then a Russell Group Uni straight into a professional job you might genuinely think that a high five figure salary is kind of normal, I guess. I know exactly where I sit in the income distribution.
    eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

eek said:

Scott_xP said:

Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    ·
    17m
    Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    ·
    16m
    Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    ·
    10m
    Replying to
    @chriscurtis94
    Chris Curtis
    @chriscurtis94
    ·
    5m
    He's head of Political polling at @OpiniumResearch

But the interesting bit is that the idea of Bozo calling an election should be seen as a complete joke based on polling yet sane people believe it's possible because

1) Bozo is a clown
    2) Seemingly people were saying such things a couple of weeks back to take advantage were SKS to get a FPN..
    I'm sure there's a strategist somewhere that thinks that Lab/LD/SNP/Green coalition is a ticking bomb too enticing not to light the blue touch paper.

(Wildly unlikely to happen in my view)
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

They're here. 100%. End.

I believe its probably 2

The Lonnie Zamora case was the start of his turn to belief. In itself a very compelling account and a straight up guy who's life was ruined by the publicity.
    Bob Lazar the Area 51 whistleblower is also fascinating. Talking about element 115 in 1989
    Scott_xP said:

So relentless is the juggernaut of scandal surrounding Boris Johnson that it’s worth remembering that Pinchergate, Treehousegate, Carriegate, Blowjobgate, *and* the disastrous by-election results have all happened in just the last two weeks.
    https://twitter.com/NicholasPegg/status/1544328314118197249

Blowjobgate? I have a vague idea of what the others are…
    An article I just read on the German energy crisis includes the disarming context phrase

'the German economic model depends on cheap Russian gas'

Which is...er....not great, really, is it.....

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

They're here. 100%. End.

I believe its probably 2

The earth is rotating on its axis and orbiting the sun in a system that itself is moving relative to the rest of the universe, so I would be surprised if jumps back in time were jumps back to the same place.
    You appear to be privileging frames of reference...
    edited July 2022

carnforth said:

Just bizarre. Perhaps reflects the narrow social circle of some of these people. If you went to private school then a Russell Group Uni straight into a professional job you might genuinely think that a high five figure salary is kind of normal, I guess. I know exactly where I sit in the income distribution.
    In London, though, certainly where you live, and where I used to, you are part of a tribe in which this salary is quite normal.

Indeed, a single earner family on those numbers would likely struggle, in Zone 2.
    Am reading that Biden (presumably in desperation?) wants to slash Trump tariffs on Chinese goods.

How badly does he want to lose in November?
    polargael said:

polargael said:

polargael said:

A snap GE would be shit or bust for sure. As for the dire position, in the circumstances, Labour are underperforming in the opinion polls. Who knows what effect a double FPN on Starmer and Raynor would have on the ratings? Also, Scotland... If there's a scintilla of weakness, it may - just about - be worth rolling the dice. Plus, Crosby's back. He'll bore down through the gutter to take the fight to the opposition.

The other point is, if not now/soon, then when? The economic situation is deteriorating daily and by 2024 will be too far gone for any incumbent Govt to have a chance of winning. Think: inflation at 20+%, deep recession, spiking interest rates, home repossessions, negative equity, rising unemployment. It's going to be Biblical. It cannot be anything else after the longest period of artifically supressed interest rates in recorded history and, latterly, spraying QE all over the real economy. No Govt will survive that in any event.
    A snap election called for no other reason than to keep Johnson in No10 would almost certainly see him turfed out.
    But I agree with @MarqueeMark - it's highly unlikely that even the stupid party is quite that stupid.

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

They're here. 100%. End.

I believe its probably 2

That's a very good and unanswerable point.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Interesting

I can - lies
    Who is lying, and why?

Nope?
    Then I have to ask why.
    In science theories (or perhaps more accurately hypotheses) are built up from observational evidence and data collection. Until such times as you or other 'Alien' advocates can provide such observational evidence there is nothing upon which to construct a theory.

If you want to see someone doing a good job of debunking many of these UFO stories then try reading the Skeptoid Blog. The latest one on the Chilean Navy UFO case is a good example.

I know all about the Chilean UFO story, I have read the entire works of Mick West. Do keep up

Moving on swiftly: Joe Rogan has a new theory (and his opinion is as good as any, as he has interviewed everyone in this story) the USG has an incredible new drone technology, which they want to keep secret, and this whole Flap is an attempt to smokescreen that

https://twitter.com/UAPJames/status/1543974977363394562?s=20&t=ZRFcmuvEZfTC1dqLARj3xQ

Watch from minute 8:00

That's not a bad theory. It explains a few things - like the anguished behaviour of the CIA director and the DNI woman, they are either acting the anguish, or really anguished by their own lies

It also fits with previous US behaviour

However it doesn't fit with the evidence going back decades, and would an ex president like Obama really join in with this? Hmm
    IshmaelZ said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

They're here. 100%. End.

I believe its probably 2

You appear to be privileging frames of reference...
    Not another Tory enquiry!
    More profiles in courage from Boris' cabinet...

https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1544334019030130689
    Am told PPS resignations coming later today, usual caveats. Meanwhile coordinated 1922 efforts in motion. Plan is to change leadership rules BEFORE summer recess.
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited July 2022

Well he's not wrong and only echo chamber FBPEs deny there are any opportunities whatsoever.

There are opportunities to be taken from Brexit, the real argument is whether those opportunities are worth the massive upheaval and shock. Since the latter has already happened, may as well press ahead with the former, no point staying still.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,171

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

They're here. 100%. End.

I believe its probably 2

Possibility 5: a few world agencies know about the certainty of intelligent alien life. May have been working with it for decades, or maybe just watching them watching us.

But the view has been taken that human life would just stop on so many levels if the US President goes on telly admitting they are real - "we are not alone" Can you IMAGINE the network news? Nothing else would get a word for weeks, months. Religions might melt down. People would demand to know "Are they hostile?" and take to the hills, regardless of the answers.

Basically: "We can't handle the truth".
    The ability of governments to keep a secret on that scale clearly does not exist. That is a flaw in most conspiracy theories.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

They're here. 100%. End.

I believe its probably 2

For someone with your interest in UFO's to have not encountered Hyneck is amazing. Project Bluebook, Grudge, MJ-12 - its all been out there before. My skepticism is largely based on a long time interest in all things Fortean, and a longstanding disappointment that in an era where everyone has cameras ALL THE TIME, we are no closer to getting conclusive proof of all these odd things that people say happen to them.

Take ABC (anomalous big cats) - as @IshmaelZ says most people in Devon and Cornwall accept them as reality, yet decent photo/film evidence is lacking. Author Merily Harpur goes so far as to propose that they are not actually flesh and blood creatures. By now, with the number of sightings, sometimes really close up, we should have better photos.
    Well, that's because I am not THAT interested in aliens, certainly not enough to study the history

I sometimes read the Fortean Times, but I always skip over the UFO pages, because it all seems such obvious nonsense. There have been more interesting things to think about

I have only tuned into this latest iteration BECAUSE of the bizarre behaviour of the American elite. That is the intriguing thing here; the actual evidence is decidedly weak. A couple of grainy photos and vids? Really?
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,199
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Interesting

I can - lies
    Who is lying, and why?

Nope?
    Then I have to ask why.

I know all about the Chilean UFO story, I have read the entire works of Mick West. Do keep up

Moving on swiftly: Joe Rogan has a new theory (and his opinion is as good as any, as he has interviewed everyone in this story) the USG has an incredible new drone technology, which they want to keep secret, and this whole Flap is an attempt to smokescreen that

https://twitter.com/UAPJames/status/1543974977363394562?s=20&t=ZRFcmuvEZfTC1dqLARj3xQ

Watch from minute 8:00

That's not a bad theory. It explains a few things - like the anguished behaviour of the CIA director and the DNI woman, they are either acting the anguish, or really anguished by their own lies

It also fits with previous US behaviour

However it doesn't fit with the evidence going back decades, and would an ex president like Obama really join in with this? Hmm
    Have you got anything from Obama apart from him joking on James Corden's show?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    It is over for Johnson by sound of things.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Interesting

I can - lies
    Who is lying, and why?

Nope?
    Then I have to ask why.

Moving on swiftly: Joe Rogan has a new theory...
    You really are bored if you're reduced to watching JR.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,015

Love it. Can I adopt it to sit alongside my usual "catastofuck"?
    I think the PM is about to be caught the Pincher movement from Tory rebels.
    It is time for cabinet colleagues to recognise the appalling damage that the Prime Minister is doing to the party, government and country.

It isn’t good enough and each day that passes those who sit in cabinet will be more complicit with this farcical situation.

Time4change.

https://twitter.com/AnthonyMangnal1/status/1544345785726185472
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,915

carnforth said:

In London, though, certainly where you live, and where I used to, you are part of a tribe in which this salary is quite normal.

Indeed, a single earner family on those numbers would likely struggle, in Zone 2.
    Oh yes, completely. I am absolutely minted but I'm not going around pretending I'm not. I am well aware that I live in an absurd (but very pleasant) bubble that is a million miles from most people's lives, not least as I grew up in a family that was pretty skint.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 9,169

It is over for Johnson by sound of things.

I do actually think he will resign rather than be forced out. Probably tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully while I'm drinking fizz on the Commons terrace.
    edited July 2022
    In other news...

Twitter
    Glenn Campbell@GlennBBC·57m
    “The Lord Advocate does not have the necessary degree of confidence”

Scotland’s top law officer, Lord Advocate Dorothy Bain confirms she would not be able to “clear” a statement of legal competence for #indyref2 bill, without reference to @UKSupremeCourt

https://gov.scot/binaries/conte

https://twitter.com/GlennBBC/status/1544331934796595200

Ruth Davidson@RuthDavidsonPC·6m
    “In the present case, the Lord Advocate does not have the necessary degree of confidence”

Wonder why Scot Gov waited til 2 days after HR broke up to release this? No opportunity to question ministers or law officers for 7 weeks... 🤔

Devastating.

https://gov.scot/binaries/conte

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonPC/status/1544343852466769922

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Interesting

I can - lies
    Who is lying, and why?

Nope?
    Then I have to ask why.

This isn't correct - theories are just guesses. A good theory fits the known evidence and makes predictions that can be tested. Theories are not built up in the way you suggest.

See below for a good example - I suggest a theory, and it's immediately shot down. A chap called Popper had rather too much to say on such things!
This discussion has been closed.