Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Johnson Premiership – Are we seeing the end days? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

TimS said:

Leon said:

38*C now

Same here in Corfu. Well probably. Local thermometer not that reliable.
    If several of the recent model runs are to be believed (including today's latest GFS run) we'll be hitting 39 or 40C in the UK sometime in the next 2 weeks, and mid 40s in France.
    Might be the last time we actually seek out this kind of hot beach weather actually. The appeal is definitely waning. Booked it as we were coming through the first Omicron wave, and the idea was more appealing than the reality.
    Living through seven Taiwanese summers cured me of the notion that hot weather is summat to be actively sought out.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    TimS said:

Leon said:

38*C now

If several of the recent model runs are to be believed (including today's latest GFS run) we'll be hitting 39 or 40C in the UK sometime in the next 2 weeks, and mid 40s in France.
    If is rather big here, and its a long way out. Tendency is to downgrade as we approach T=0.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Scott_xP said:

Some Tory MPs now speculating Boris might try to bring recess forward to head off new contest.
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1544321022429626368

How does that help ?
    A ballot of Tory MPs isn't neccessarily within the confines of parliamentary time.
  • Options
    So. We are going to get pandemic style daily press conferences on the state of the economy now.
  • Options
    MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

MISTY said:

Bank of England warns UK economic outlook has ‘deteriorated markedly’

The exercise will include “deep simultaneous recession in the UK and global economies, real income shocks, large falls in asset prices and higher global interest rates”.

https://www.ft.com/content/80be2f66-b8da-4a44-9e7d-cf0c0cc58cef

The first bit is a forecast, the second isn't (it's a stress test scenario).
    The odd thing about the economy is I still see job vacancy adverts about quite frequently...doesn't feel like a real recession right now...
    Forgive me if I make a mistake with this, but with inflation at ~9% and nominal growth at ~8%, then you have real, inflation-adjusted GDP declining, but this is based on comparing two relatively large, relatively uncertain numbers. If the calculation of the GDP-deflator is too high by a bit then you could have fairly robust growth.

Whereas, if you have inflation at ~1% and nominal growth at 0%, it's harder to make the argument that inaccuracies in the data mean the economy is really still growing okay, because nominal growth is obviously still close to zero.

Furthermore, inflation is estimated to be so high, and wages are lagging so far behind, that the economy can afford to employ more people even if it shrinks a little, because the real value of wages is declining more quickly than the economy is shrinking.

Also, one reason we expected and had a degree of inflation post the pandemic is that some people had accumulated savings and so there was pent-up demand in the face of reduced supply capacity. To an extent these savings will support demand for a period, even as real wages fall, until at some point they don't. There's a bit more potential than normal for an overshoot, a bit like in the looney tunes cartoons where the character doesn't realise they've run off the edge of the cliff until they look down. I reckon we're probably way over the edge of the cliff at this point, but we haven't looked down yet.
    Fair enough, but PMIs today were actually not too bad, seemed to suggest UK resisting recession so far?

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

Some Tory MPs now speculating Boris might try to bring recess forward to head off new contest.

How does that help ?
    A ballot of Tory MPs isn't neccessarily within the confines of parliamentary time.
    No, but it does mean that Boris can avoid showing his face in public for a while.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,150

TimS said:

Leon said:

38*C now

Might be the last time we actually seek out this kind of hot beach weather actually. The appeal is definitely waning. Booked it as we were coming through the first Omicron wave, and the idea was more appealing than the reality.
    Corfu can be indescribably hot in July and August. I think the overdevelopment has something to do with it. Too much concrete and cement, trapping heat that would be dispersed by forests, the natural covering

I did one holiday there with kids and friends and the aircon broke in our villa on day 1, and it was 40C. We spent about 48 hours literally bobbing in the pool, not daring to get out of the water, except for mad runs to the loo

It was fun because kids, but I would never go back there out of choice
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited July 2022
    TimS said:

Leon said:

38*C now

GFS to be believed 10 days out? Probably not. But the potential is obviously there.

40C is definitely in the range of possibilities if everything lines up.

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten.php?map=20&model=gfs&var=17&time=252&run=6&lid=OP&h=0&mv=0&tr=6
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

38*C now

Living through seven Taiwanese summers cured me of the notion that hot weather is summat to be actively sought out.
    Yeah man but it's a DRY heat...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    DougSeal said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

OnboardG1 said:

Afternoon all. Skimmed through the BBC live blog between loading kit. The government have sent an utterly useless batsman in today haven’t they?

Only one available.
    I thought he spun an incredible (in both senses) tale about as well as any could have tbf.
    It's not the batsman, it's the wicket and the state of the match.
    I thought barristers were supposed not to act for a client they know for sure is lying ?
    They can’t lie for a client who tells them one thing but instructs them to say another. Barristers are not in a position to make that judgment. Otherwise a lot of people would get no representation because it was a “sure thing”. The farcical explanations Huntley’s brief had to put forward are the best example of this.

I'm aware of the distinction - if the Commons were a court of law, Michael Ellis would have been professionally embarrassed.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174

Here's an unpleasant thought: Years ago I read that Stalin liked to have men about him on whom he had something. (I'm sorry I don't recall the source.)

Could Boris Johnson have preferred Chris Pincher in a whip position for a similar reason?

Pincher's backstory was an open secret known by everyone, except it is claimed, the Prime Minister. It smacks more of cock-up than conspiracy.
    Did you intend to have all those Carry-On style innuendos ( i counted at least three) or were they just sub-conscious?
    Ooh Mrs!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720

I know it's important and all in the context of the dog days of Boris Johnson's premiership, but fuck me the Pincher stuff is just boring now.

What are you complaining about? You're getting a pinscher, what could be more appropriate for the dog days?
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,282
    Scott_xP said:

Maximum banter outcome:

Johnson tries to bring the recess forward, succeeds but pisses everyone off.

Starmer resigns because of FPN.

Johnson sees the opportunity but can’t recall parliament for whatever reason to dissolve it.

22 committee changes rules.

Labour picks someone more dynamic who runs exclusively on cost-of-living.

Johnson dissolves parliament on the first day back, pulling an Imran Khan.

Blue team falls down electoral sinkhole.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

How does that help ?
    For the love of God, we can't have the country run like this.

We are in the middle of an economic crisis.

Get rid today and elect a PM and Cabinet who can actually run the country rather than spending every waking moment dealing with last week's lies and this week's latest scandal.

• Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,781
    Leon said:

Leon said:

As we wait for Boris to do the honourable thing....

the UAP/UFO story rumbles on, as mystifying as ever

"In April 2014, four naval aviators narrowly escaped disaster. Just as they entered highly controlled airspace for a training exercise, their two F/A-18F fighter jets nearly collided with an unidentified flying object (UFO). To the frustration of dozens of their fellow aviators, such a near-catastrophe was inevitable.

"For months before and after the incident, aircrews flying in “exclusive use” training areas off the U.S. East Coast frequently observed unknown objects exhibiting highly anomalous flight characteristics. Despite the collision hazard posed by the UFOs, aviators lacked a formal mechanism to report the mysterious objects."

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/3545072-stunned-by-ufos-exasperated-fighter-pilots-get-little-help-from-pentagon/

Lol.

You believe in UFOs and you believe in Brexit. In Ireland there are "little people" that if you catch one they will give you a wish. In Cornwall they have similar folk. Also I have a bridge I would like to sell you.

You, Sir, are the leaking rectum of a louse
    Hehe, fair play, a most excellent insult. I shall not try to respond. That was an unplayable ace!
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

38*C now

Corfu can be indescribably hot in July and August. I think the overdevelopment has something to do with it. Too much concrete and cement, trapping heat that would be dispersed by forests, the natural covering

I did one holiday there with kids and friends and the aircon broke in our villa on day 1, and it was 40C. We spent about 48 hours literally bobbing in the pool, not daring to get out of the water, except for mad runs to the loo

It was fun because kids, but I would never go back there out of choice
    We're in arillas on nw corner, relatively unspoilt, but yes have spent most of the day in the sea or the pool :)
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,217
    dixiedean said:

So. We are going to get pandemic style daily press conferences on the state of the economy now.

"So, in summary that is the complete list of the unprecedented support that we are giving people. Questions?"
    Hack - "you say you are doing masses, so why is everyone so poor?"
    PM - "they're not, we're doing more than any previous government"
    Hack - "but that simply isn't true is it? Taxes at record highs in peacetime and ONS proof that more and more people can't pay their bills"
    PM - "well that Kier Starmer wants to take us back into the Single Market which would cost a gazillion pounds to every taxpayer"

etc etc. This government don't give a rat fuck about people. So why they want to show off this every few days I don't know.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,032

Scott_xP said:

Even before the latest scandal, the PM's ratings were absolutely dire. Disapproval is headed back to the peak of partygate revelations at the turn of the year and three quarters of the public think Boris Johnson is untrustworthy. https://twitter.com/drjennings/status/1544319131679424512/photo/1

The one quarter who think Boris “trustworthy” are the UK equivalent of those Americans who confirm to pollsters that they have been decapitated.
    You can trust Boris…

You can trust that he will always be a self-interested toerag.
  • Options

TimS said:

Leon said:

38*C now

GFS to be believed 10 days out? Probably not. But the potential is obviously there.

https://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten.php?map=20&model=gfs&var=17&time=252&run=6&lid=OP&h=0&mv=0&tr=6
    F me sideways.
    That's between 17 and 24°C here!!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

In other news (!) I understand Durham Police met with the Crown Prosecution Service earlier this afternoon to discuss whether Keir Starmer will be fined over beergate 👀
    https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1544312109189763073

Seems a bit ridiculous, has a policeforce met with the CPS over ANY other potential fines being issued throughout the pandemic. If they issue a fine and Starmer feels it's wrong, he can challenge it in court. The hostage to fortune he created is simply none of their concern but looks to be causing expense (Noone's time is free) to the police. If they feel a PCN ought to be issued, they should issue one, Starmer can challenge it if he likes.
    How much police time has been wasted over these parking tickets, as crime rises and online fraud gets out of control?
  • Options
    So Johnson has told us in recent months that:

a) He cannot tell what is a party and what is not when any reasonably sentient person can.

b) His memory is so shit that he has forgotten the two occasions he was told an ally was dodgy and had been investigated even though he himself goes around singing a little ditty about 'Pincher by nature.'

The only explanation is that he has long covid and the UK version of the 25th should be immediately undertaken.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

"So, in summary that is the complete list of the unprecedented support that we are giving people. Questions?"
    Hack - "but that simply isn't true is it? Taxes at record highs in peacetime and ONS proof that more and more people can't pay their bills"
    PM - "well that Kier Starmer wants to take us back into the Single Market which would cost a gazillion pounds to every taxpayer"

etc etc. This government don't give a rat fuck about people. So why they want to show off this every few days I don't know.
    This is going to last about as long as Allegra Stratton’s briefings.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

In other news (!) I understand Durham Police met with the Crown Prosecution Service earlier this afternoon to discuss whether Keir Starmer will be fined over beergate 👀

Seems a bit ridiculous, has a policeforce met with the CPS over ANY other potential fines being issued throughout the pandemic. If they issue a fine and Starmer feels it's wrong, he can challenge it in court. The hostage to fortune he created is simply none of their concern but looks to be causing expense (Noone's time is free) to the police. If they feel a PCN ought to be issued, they should issue one, Starmer can challenge it if he likes.
    The Met consulted the CPS over Partygate fines.

Only after they had carefully selected who they intended to investigate.

Starmer's FPN would be a monumental relief to the entire nation, but nonetheless a demonstration that rules, even by the same police force are applied selectively, and there is absolutely no consistency between forces.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Even before the latest scandal, the PM's ratings were absolutely dire. Disapproval is headed back to the peak of partygate revelations at the turn of the year and three quarters of the public think Boris Johnson is untrustworthy. https://twitter.com/drjennings/status/1544319131679424512/photo/1

The one quarter who think Boris “trustworthy” are the UK equivalent of those Americans who confirm to pollsters that they have been decapitated.
    You can trust Boris…

You can trust that he will always be a self-interested toerag.
    Not very fair to compare a tribe of nomadic people from the Sahara with Boris Johnson
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

dixiedean said:

This is going to last about as long as Allegra Stratton’s briefings.
    Actually, the first hack question will be:

Did you lie to the public about knowing about Pincher.

And it will go from there. Nothing about the economy will be mentioned.

This, dear Cabinet readers, is why you need to get rid of him and elect a new PM.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited July 2022
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

How much police time has been wasted over these parking tickets, as crime rises and online fraud gets out of control?
    When the press and public are in one of their moods of puritanical but hypocritical self-righteousness, people lose all sense of proportion and wasted time and bad policy almost always result.

Though in fairness it's tiny compared to the damage that the half-baked lockdowns and useless travel restrictions did in the first place.
  • Options

If I was betting on a resignation, I’d tip Patel or Coffey.

The others are generally so “in blood steeped” by the Boris project that there is not much point.

Gove probably thinks he has done it once already and it’s someone else’s turn; Wallace will tell himself the Ukraine effort is more important; Raab, Dorries and scores of others are gone the moment Boris goes.

To extend your point re wallpaper and what it can hide: at least Evans was found innocent of being Christie's sidekick, albeit on a considered second review (bit shit for him, though, as the death sentence some of our Tories love had been imposed on him). This lot, I'm in very little doubt about the verdict of history.
  • Options
    Leon said:

38*C now

That’s nice and cool.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,942
    Definite feel since this that mood is turning. Ministers saying they feel “dispensable”, government insiders saying the mood in cabinet is “changing” and morale low. One government source says two schools of thought in Downing St - “batten down hatches” or “be as open as we can.” https://twitter.com/ionewells/status/1544064528031387648
  • Options

The others are generally so “in blood steeped” by the Boris project that there is not much point.

Gove probably thinks he has done it once already and it’s someone else’s turn; Wallace will tell himself the Ukraine effort is more important; Raab, Dorries and scores of others are gone the moment Boris goes.

Boris gets no pass "because of Ukraine". Every Conservative PM since Churchill and every one of Boris's successors would have taken exactly the same position.

With the possible exception of Ted Heath.
    Yes but I can imagine Wallace saying to himself that he serves as Defence Sec not for Boris, but for “HMG”, “the forces”, “Queen and country” etc.

Ironically if Wallace did resign that truly would end things. Other resignations might be survivable.
    Yep. It isn't just about people resigning from Cabinet. We already had one of those. If someone like Dorries or one of the nameless morons quits nobody will care that much. "Shapps has gone!!!" - who cares...

So it needs to be a Wallace or a Sunak or someone of that level.
    I think Sunak would be survivable.
    Sunak has very few supporters on the back benches as far as I can tell.

It’s the genius of Boris that he has stuffed his circus so full of clowns.
    Very little is completely un-survivable, but Sunak going would be an enormous and probably fatal blow if accompanied by firm criticism of the PM.

Firstly, Chancellors resigning is just a big deal - they have such a major role it looks like a Government that is utterly dysfunctional in a way that the Secretary of State for Education (say) doesn't.

Secondly, fiscal conservatives see Sunak as a check on the wilder instincts of the PM.

Thirdly, he's a far from perfect but certainly credible pretender to the throne. He may not have a huge team of loyal Sunak-ites on the backbenches, but he's not massively disliked either, and nothing would fill backbench MPs with newfound fraternal love than the serious prospect that he might be able to put them on the ministerial ladder in a few weeks. Like winning the lottery, even the wettest of fish suddenly finds they have no shortage of lifelong buddies.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,081
    edited July 2022
    dixiedean said:

‘Prime minister, we now have Sharon from Pinner who would like to know why we have security tags on tubs of Lurpak.’

https://twitter.com/daily_express/status/1544308873779183619?s=21&t=nbbsy8sQfY2XNM0IzO2M1w
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I feel it would be such a terrible shame if Boris was forced out. It would mean that the "Conservatives" might not get forced below 100 seats at the next election.

I was depending on Boris wiping out the Blue-Kippers and the ERG mob so that proper sensible Conservatives could recapture the party.

On current polls the Tories would still poll higher than 1997 and the biggest swing against them would be in Remain areas of the Home counties to the LDs, costing the likes of Hunt their seats.

In the Leave parts of the North and Midlands there would be a much lower anti Tory swing.

So the Tory parliamentary party would end up even more rightwing and pro Brexit than it is now
    1997 was a huge defeat for the Conservatives. Doing better would still be a loss, but go on posting this cr*p because no one but you believes it.

The next defeat deserves to be even bigger 1997. TBH, given Boris, the ERG, the spineless cabinet and the collection of sex-pest members that have been all over the news, the current "Conservative" party deserves to disappear forever.
    Yes but you are a leftwinger so that is as pointless a statement as a rightwinger saying Labour should disappear forever in 1983, 2010 or 2019
    You are talking rubbish. I voted Conservative more times than I ever voted otherwise, but you have tacked so far to the right that I feel that Pinochet probably looks like a communist from your point of view.

It is you and other enablers like you that have taken what was a once great political party and reduced it to a shambling parody of its former self, and then you have the nerve to come on here and post utter nonsense and expect us to swallow it like fact.

I do not know whether to be more annoyed by having to read the propaganda you post or your apparent belief that we will swallow it.
  • Options
    The Prime Minister’s defence has been blown apart. This is a Government paralysed by scandal.

The public have had enough of the sleaze and the lies.

When will the Conservatives stop defending the indefensible - and say enough is enough?
    https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1544319630461870084/video/1
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233
    TimS said:

Leon said:

38*C now

I'm not sure I trust the GFS model that much. Even if it had the large-scale meteorology right for the next two weeks, any bias in its soil moisture model would start to create large temperature biases at that lead time. And the GFS model isn't the best at the large-scale meteorology either.

I'd want to know how accurate its predictions were for previous heatwaves.

But still. There's a fair chance the UK temperature record will be tested soon.
  • Options
    Britons tend to approve of Keir Starmer's confirmation that the Labour Party will not seek for Britain to re-join the EU

All Brits
    Approve 48% / Disapprove 33%

Lab voters
    Approve 30% / Disapprove 55%

Con voters
    Approve 79% / Disapprove 11%

The mark of a good policy.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

"In April 2014, four naval aviators narrowly escaped disaster. Just as they entered highly controlled airspace for a training exercise, their two F/A-18F fighter jets nearly collided with an unidentified flying object (UFO). To the frustration of dozens of their fellow aviators, such a near-catastrophe was inevitable.

"For months before and after the incident, aircrews flying in “exclusive use” training areas off the U.S. East Coast frequently observed unknown objects exhibiting highly anomalous flight characteristics. Despite the collision hazard posed by the UFOs, aviators lacked a formal mechanism to report the mysterious objects."

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/3545072-stunned-by-ufos-exasperated-fighter-pilots-get-little-help-from-pentagon/

Lol.

You believe in UFOs and you believe in Brexit. In Ireland there are "little people" that if you catch one they will give you a wish. In Cornwall they have similar folk. Also I have a bridge I would like to sell you.

Hehe, fair play, a most excellent insult. I shall not try to respond. That was an unplayable ace!

You're welcome, and thankyou for the compliment

On a more serious note, there really is, still, a UFO story that needs to be addressed, inasmuch as, if you refuse to believe in UFOs (and fair enough, the evidence is weak), then you have to explain why the American Establishment is behaving so oddly

This video is REALLY worth watching, as it threads that argument together

https://twitter.com/AdamGoldsack/status/1543833019705950209?s=20&t=NTcHEXq1aARg4seDhYxQiA

It will take 5 minutes of your time. At the end you have to ask: why are these senior people saying these strange things

In particular look out for minute 2:40 and minute 3:10. In the first one the ex Director of the CIA looks absolutely tortured, and agonised, as he says these things could be "other forms of life". In the second the Director of National Intelligence struggles to say the word "extra terrestrial" as she admits these might be "extra terrestrials"

Why are they tortured and struggling? Is it because they are part of some grand conspiracy to hoodwink the Chinese and it makes them unhappy? Have these top people simply gone mad? Are they acting? One explanation is that they genuinely think these might be extra terrestrials but the idea is so, er, alien, they find it hard to say

Let me know your thoughts
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

38*C now

F me sideways.
    Lol. Mind you, the only time I've come near to having heat stroke was in Scotland...

It actually has 41C for the following day in the south, but that's even less believable.

Over 35C is a serious health problem though.
  • Options
    MISTY said:

Markets unnerved by falling euro and Germany's energy problems.

The falling Euro is ECB policy. They’re maintaining QE and not raising interest rates. Which will result in inflation.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

Britons tend to approve of Keir Starmer's confirmation that the Labour Party will not seek for Britain to re-join the EU

All Brits

Lab voters

Con voters

Not exactly popular with the core vote, though, is it?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,233

polargael said:

The left field option: Starmer and Raynor are both fined and both resign. Lab leadership contest begins. 'Big Dog' calls snap General Election.

The risk: a spectacular gamble which blows up in the Tories' face as the opposition parties move to ensure only one anti-Tory candidate in each seat. Tories are reduced to a rump/oblivion.

The rewards: secures another 5 years before the economy hits total turdage, preserves own premiership ('Big Dog' is a winner once more), Labour et al not ready for campaign, spikes the Sturge's indyref2 plan B.

It's likely such a move would transgress several conventions, but such trifles do not bother 'Big Dog'. Place bets now...

May called a snap election when she was ahead in the polls and that went badly. Calling a snap election when you are behind in the polls is madness.
    Sometimes mad things, especially mad self-confident things, surprisingly pay off.

I'd love for there to be an election and a chance to shove the Tories out. But I'd be nervous the gamble might work too.
  • Options

All Brits

Lab voters

Con voters

What are they going to do? Vote Tory? Though LD, that's another matter.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

On a more serious note, there really is, still, a UFO story that needs to be addressed, inasmuch as, if you refuse to believe in UFOs (and fair enough, the evidence is weak), then you have to explain why the American Establishment is behaving so oddly

https://twitter.com/AdamGoldsack/status/1543833019705950209?s=20&t=NTcHEXq1aARg4seDhYxQiA

It will take 5 minutes of your time. At the end you have to ask: why are these senior people saying these strange things

In particular look out for minute 2:40 and minute 3:10. In the first one the ex Director of the CIA looks absolutely tortured, and agonised, as he says these things could be "other forms of life". In the second the Director of National Intelligence struggles to say the word "extra terrestrial" as she admits these might be "extra terrestrials"

Why are they tortured and struggling? Is it because they are part of some grand conspiracy to hoodwink the Chinese and it makes them unhappy? Have these top people simply gone mad? Are they acting? One explanation is that they genuinely think these might be extra terrestrials but the idea is so, er, alien, they find it hard to say

If I were to take a guess, they’re trying not to say “we think something, somehow penetrated our airspace and we’re worried it’s the Chinese and it’s very embarrassing for the largest military in the world to be comprehensively debagged”.
  • Options

Boris gets no pass "because of Ukraine". Every Conservative PM since Churchill and every one of Boris's successors would have taken exactly the same position.

With the possible exception of Ted Heath.
    Yes but I can imagine Wallace saying to himself that he serves as Defence Sec not for Boris, but for “HMG”, “the forces”, “Queen and country” etc.

Ironically if Wallace did resign that truly would end things. Other resignations might be survivable.
    Yep. It isn't just about people resigning from Cabinet. We already had one of those. If someone like Dorries or one of the nameless morons quits nobody will care that much. "Shapps has gone!!!" - who cares...

So it needs to be a Wallace or a Sunak or someone of that level.
    That implies a capacity for Johnson to feel guilt and shame. If Wallace or sunak goes I guarantee he will say I am sorry my colleague feels like that, I don't agree with him, I will carry on. And promote Nadine to fill the vacancy
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

My scientific training causes me to be open minded, but evidence based. I am also sceptical about people who want to believe in something where all the evidence suggests that something does not exist. I am not saying UFOs cannot exist, it is just that it is massively unlikely. The balance of probability is that it is all nonsense. I will take a look at it later, but must do some work. I will also think of a similarly amusing insult for you at a later date!
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited July 2022

All Brits

Lab voters

Con voters

It is, but its also 'brave' like Mays Social Care gambit. Appeals to all the wrong people to drive either Labour turnout or LD tacticals

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1544325156079865856?t=8ETn-IjkPkdgK1XiX_JAWA&s=19
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited July 2022
    It'd be amusing if Sinner wins Wimbledon. Title skips straight from players born in the 80s to those born in the 00s. A 90s free zone.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

All Brits

Lab voters

Con voters

What are they going to do? Vote Tory? Though LD, that's another matter.
    I don’t think it’s a sufficiently large motivator to the average activist to matter. We all just want the Tories bloody gone at this point.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Off to India next week. Apparently 33C, 96% humidity and constant monsoon. Any tips? Best so far….

Stay at home.
    Stay indoors.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Ironically Boris will be hoping Starmer is cleared, it then looks like one rule for Labour leaders another for Tory leaders.

Whereas if Starmer is fined and resigns then Boris will be under heavy pressure to do the same having already been fined
    Rubbish!

Johnson should already have been on to the Worshipful Master of the Durham Lodge, demanding he advises his chums at Durham nick to pull their fingers out and issue a hatful of FPNs pronto.

With just one Fixed Penalty Notice, Pincher goes away, and Johnson's Partygate innocence confirmed.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MISTY said:

Markets unnerved by falling euro and Germany's energy problems.

The falling Euro is ECB policy. They’re maintaining QE and not raising interest rates. Which will result in inflation.

Maybe but with that approach things really could come a bit disorderly.

Inflation already 10 plus in Spain, even higher than that in some areas.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534

All Brits

Lab voters

Con voters

And the 55% of Lab voters who disapprove have nowhere else to go as in almost every case the LDs are not an alternative to Labour in terms of winning the seat. And even if they do and enable a few LD wins, this can do labour no harm as they won't win a majority anyway (326+ seats) so every LD seat is a Labour seat for all practical purposes.

The votes SKS really needs are 2 million Tories and tactical LDs.

What a Lab/LD/(SNP) coalition will actually do about Europe when/if in power is anyone's guess.

The whole point of coalitions is that nobody gets all they want.

EFTA?

If joining EFTA was the terms of the Scots accepting Devo max in place of independence I would be rather tempted.

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Biden could shake hands with a Grey on the WH lawn and some people would still think it was an 'and finally' story.
    They're here. 100%. End.
  • Options

I don’t wish to alarm PBers but OGH is busy for the next few hours and I’m minding PB until then.

Uh oh.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

My scientific training causes me to be open minded, but evidence based. I am also sceptical about people who want to believe in something where all the evidence suggests that something does not exist. I am not saying UFOs cannot exist, it is just that it is massively unlikely. The balance of probability is that it is all nonsense. I will take a look at it later, but must do some work. I will also think of a similarly amusing insult for you at a later date!
    I am explicitly saying it is probably not "aliens"

If it is aliens where are the 1000s of photos and videos? We all have smartphones. It doesn't add up. I don't believe Will Smith is going round erasing the memories and phones of millions of witnesses

But that leaves us with the mystery of American behaviour. All these top people, from Obama down, saying this weird shit. And some of them saying it with anguished body language, which suggests something going on under the surface
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

If it is aliens where are the 1000s of photos and videos? We all have smartphones. It doesn't add up. I don't believe Will Smith is going round erasing the memories and phones of millions of witnesses

But that leaves us with the mystery of American behaviour. All these top people, from Obama down, saying this weird shit. And some of them saying it with anguished body language, which suggests something going on under the surface

“It was a… weather balloon. And it absolutely, positively did not carry a red star marking”.
  • Options

All Brits

Lab voters

Con voters

Sorry Horse. The mark of a good Labour policy would be Lab voters Approve 79%/ Disapprove 11%.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Biden could shake hands with a Grey on the WH lawn and some people would still think it was an 'and finally' story.
    They're here. 100%. End.
    Fascinating. I trust your opinion more than most opinions on PB. You really think it is aliens?
  • Options

All Brits

Lab voters

Con voters

Sorry Horse. The mark of a good Labour policy would be Lab voters Approve 79%/ Disapprove 11%.
    How you Pete?
  • Options
    Current rebel plan. 1922 slate run on pledge to change rules. Letters sent to Brady concurrently. New 1922 appointed next Wednesday at 4.00. Meet immediately and vote on rule change. As soon as rule change agreed, new contest triggered automatically (because letters already in).
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1544328118395371520
  • Options

I don’t wish to alarm PBers but OGH is busy for the next few hours and I’m minding PB until then.

FPNs issued at 1800 hours?
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited July 2022
    Update on today's beergate meeting: Durham Police say there was an internal meeting today to discuss the investigation and the next steps but the CPS was NOT involved. As others have pointed out that would be interesting as FPNs are issued by police - have deleted earlier tweet.

https://twitter.com/Tony_Diver/status/1544328279930376195

Oh look, what I said yesterday remains true
  • Options

All Brits

Lab voters

Con voters

Is it? If Labour voters are irked but not too irked, and quite a few Tory voters approve, then ...
  • Options

Boris resignation nailed on?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

You forgot to add this to your message -

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,609

polargael said:

The left field option: Starmer and Raynor are both fined and both resign. Lab leadership contest begins. 'Big Dog' calls snap General Election.

The risk: a spectacular gamble which blows up in the Tories' face as the opposition parties move to ensure only one anti-Tory candidate in each seat. Tories are reduced to a rump/oblivion.

The rewards: secures another 5 years before the economy hits total turdage, preserves own premiership ('Big Dog' is a winner once more), Labour et al not ready for campaign, spikes the Sturge's indyref2 plan B.

It's likely such a move would transgress several conventions, but such trifles do not bother 'Big Dog'. Place bets now...

May called a snap election when she was ahead in the polls and that went badly. Calling a snap election when you are behind in the polls is madness.
    Sometimes mad things, especially mad self-confident things, surprisingly pay off.

I'd love for there to be an election and a chance to shove the Tories out. But I'd be nervous the gamble might work too.
    Those who believe a snap election is possible, can you offer any precedents? Are there any examples of politicians, in any democracy, choosing to call a snap election while this far behind in the polls? (So, not including sudden elections because a coalition collapses.) What's the worst polling for a PM or equivalent who then called a snap election... and how did they do?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426

Boris resignation nailed on?
    And Starmer FPN.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Which happens first?

Boris resigns
    Aliens announced
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Current rebel plan. 1922 slate run on pledge to change rules. Letters sent to Brady concurrently. New 1922 appointed next Wednesday at 4.00. Meet immediately and vote on rule change. As soon as rule change agreed, new contest triggered automatically (because letters already in).
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1544328118395371520

If you were a cabinet minister that wanted to at least try to have a career going forward, you would surely preempt this.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Which happens first?

Boris resigns
    Aliens announced

Aliens resign, after accepting an FPN for holding parties in lockdown.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

All Brits

Lab voters

Con voters

It is, but its also 'brave' like Mays Social Care gambit. Appeals to all the wrong people to drive either Labour turnout or LD tacticals

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1544325156079865856?t=8ETn-IjkPkdgK1XiX_JAWA&s=19
    Theresa May's dementia tax plan appealed to very few.

Starmer's policy however appeals to the average British voter and if Starmer can win them and Leave voters in the redwall swing seats then a collapse in turnout in safe Labour inner city and university seats is a small price to pay
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

They're here. 100%. End.
    Fascinating. I trust your opinion more than most opinions on PB. You really think it is aliens?
    I see two options, both earth altering

1) technology exists and is in practical use beyond our conventonal understanding of Newtonian physics
    2) its Aliens/non homo sapiens

I believe its probably 2
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

38*C now

That’s nice and cool.
    It is Centigrade not Kelvin ;)
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

All Brits

Lab voters

Con voters

A "good" Labour policy is pretty much an oxymoron.

Mind you, there are precious few good policies from any party these days.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

dixiedean said:

‘Prime minister, we now have Sharon from Pinner who would like to know why we have security tags on tubs of Lurpak.’

https://twitter.com/daily_express/status/1544308873779183619?s=21&t=nbbsy8sQfY2XNM0IzO2M1w
    Buy the Aldi equivalent for a third the price. Just as good.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    @BorisJohnson

Updated President @ZelenskyyUa on progress made at @G7and @NATO last week.

I believe the Ukrainian military can retake territory recently captured by Putin’s forces. The UK remains committed to helping Ukraine defend itself & rebuild.

More UK military aid will arrive soon.
  • Options
    And now, a Washington Post EDITORIAL, saying Yes, let's investigate UFOs

You don't get much more American Establishment than WaPo

So either this is an extremely high level US conspiracy to fuck with Chinese brains, or some people in Washington DC really think it is Dem Aliens

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/07/04/nasa-ufo-alien-exploration/
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,432
    Carnyx said:

All Brits

Lab voters

Con voters

Is it? If Labour voters are irked but not too irked, and quite a few Tory voters approve, then ...
    Anyway- in FPTP the location of the votes matters as much as the number. Crazy but true.

If the Starmer Steer loses Lab votes to the Libs in Remainia but picks up votes in Brexiton East, that probably works fine for Labour.
  • Options
    Leon said:

So either this is an extremely high level US conspiracy to fuck with Chinese brains, or some people in Washington DC really think it is Dem Aliens

How do you know the Aliens are Dems? Are they registered? Could they be Independents who caucus with Dems?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,374
    Leon said:

During the Cold War, the Pentagon hid behind UFO sightings to hide the fact that the US Air Force was flying second-hand MIGs over America to work out tactics against them.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,374
    OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

If I were to take a guess, they’re trying not to say “we think something, somehow penetrated our airspace and we’re worried it’s the Chinese and it’s very embarrassing for the largest military in the world to be comprehensively debagged”.
    Like when that Chinese submarine surfaced in the middle of an American fleet?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Where are the photos? Is not a slam dunk argument.

Take a bird like the snipe. Little brown fuckers, not rare, really difficult to shoot because they stay low and jink, hence why snipers are called snipers. If their existence were called in question it would be as difficult to prove it by photos as it is to shoot them

Exhibit b is big cats in Devon and Cornwall. Nobody serious disputes they are out there but no decent focused photos. It's harder than it looks
  • Options
    Just heard an interesting snippet.

David Davis is making himself available to constituency associations round the country for speeches and events...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121

So Johnson has told us in recent months that:

a) He cannot tell what is a party and what is not when any reasonably sentient person can.

b) His memory is so shit that he has forgotten the two occasions he was told an ally was dodgy and had been investigated even though he himself goes around singing a little ditty about 'Pincher by nature.'

The only explanation is that he has long covid and the UK version of the 25th should be immediately undertaken.

Is there one?
  • Options
    In other news...

Confirms the reason why Nicola Sturgeon adopted the strategy of going straight to the UK supreme court: she she couldn't count on her own lord advocate to authorise the SNP referendum bill.
    https://twitter.com/KennyFarq/status/1544331979394613252
  • Options
    polargaelpolargael Posts: 8

polargael said:

Indeed so; however, blessed are we to be living through interesting times.

Highly improbable nonetheless, but not entirely impossible.

Sidenote: once a GE is called, it would be rather difficult/awkward in the extreme for the Tories to remove the incumbent PM.

A final thought: one should never underestimate the self-preservation instincts of a cornered rat - especially not the current occupant of No.10.
  • Options
    A Cabinet Office contact writes “there’s a ‘Final Days of Rome’ atmosphere today”. A No. 10 contact says: “There does seem to be an air of oh-for-f***’s-sake about. Definitely not as buoyant as before.” ~AA
    https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1544332535957692417
  • Options
    So relentless is the juggernaut of scandal surrounding Boris Johnson that it’s worth remembering that Pinchergate, Treehousegate, Carriegate, Blowjobgate, *and* the disastrous by-election results have all happened in just the last two weeks.
    https://twitter.com/NicholasPegg/status/1544328314118197249
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

When the press and public are in one of their moods of puritanical but hypocritical self-righteousness, people lose all sense of proportion and wasted time and bad policy almost always result.

Though in fairness it's tiny compared to the damage that the half-baked lockdowns and useless travel restrictions did in the first place.
    Dangerous dogs act is another media confected bad law.
  • Options
    🚨 Am told PPS resignations coming later today, usual caveats. Meanwhile coordinated 1922 efforts in motion. Plan is to change leadership rules BEFORE summer recess
    https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1544334019030130689
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

They're here. 100%. End.
    I see two options, both earth altering

1) technology exists and is in practical use beyond our conventonal understanding of Newtonian physics
    2) its Aliens/non homo sapiens

I believe its probably 2
    If 1, it raises the question of who has developed that technology? Is it i) a state or ii) a series of states working in concert or iii) a series of states working in competition or iv) a crazy wealthy individual with or without a volcano base. If i) then you would think that it could be possible to use it to swat somebody like Putin as an annoying bug. ii) is the least worrying option, iii) is like the race for the Bomb cubed. iv) leaves the notion that someone like Musk can do stuff which scares the shit out of word Governments - because they do not have the military capacity to stop them, even with the best they have.

Of course, it is possible that any of i) to iv) are a hybrid of 1 and 2 - this effort with this technology is supported by aliens.

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    Scott_xP said:

A Cabinet Office contact writes “there’s a ‘Final Days of Rome’ atmosphere today”. A No. 10 contact says: “There does seem to be an air of oh-for-f***’s-sake about. Definitely not as buoyant as before.” ~AA
    https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1544332535957692417

It took roughly 40 days from the disaster of Eastbourne to the removal of Margaret Thatcher.

The disaster of Wakefield and Tiverton & Honiton will have focused the minds of tory MPs, regardless of leadership rules.

p.s. there will NOT be a snap General Election. This is just pb punters allowing their fantasies to take over.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Take a bird like the snipe. Little brown fuckers, not rare, really difficult to shoot because they stay low and jink, hence why snipers are called snipers. If their existence were called in question it would be as difficult to prove it by photos as it is to shoot them

Exhibit b is big cats in Devon and Cornwall. Nobody serious disputes they are out there but no decent focused photos. It's harder than it looks
    Interesting

Yet those US pilots report being buzzed by these UFOS every day for two years. And the UFOs are not tiny birds, these are considerable "aircraft" that attain great speed and show advanced maneuverability. So they must be easily visible to the naked eye

So where are the videos and photos of these? I'd whip my bloody iPhone out, sharpish

The whole thing is deeply confounding. I've thought about it hard and I can't find one easy single explanation
  • Options

All Brits

Lab voters

Con voters

How you Pete?
    I'm good Horse, thanks for asking. As a former Remainer, I am not best pleased with Mr S. ruling out FOM. Hopefully FPNs in the post as we write, then Nandy can see sense and go all out Single Market c/w FOM.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,603

dixiedean said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

38*C now

F me sideways.
    Lol. Mind you, the only time I've come near to having heat stroke was in Scotland...

It actually has 41C for the following day in the south, but that's even less believable.

Over 35C is a serious health problem though.
    What does seem to be nailed on is an exceptionally hot airmass emerging out of North Africa and heading out into Europe via Iberia. Whether it gets to us or curves over towards the Alps remains to be seen. But the ECMWF, GFS and Met models all show similar evolutions, and most get us into the mid 30s at some stage.

OT I am due to be in the Palace of Westminster for a do on the commons terrace later today so will report back on the goings on and any gossip.

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    Scott_xP said:

🚨 Am told PPS resignations coming later today, usual caveats. Meanwhile coordinated 1922 efforts in motion. Plan is to change leadership rules BEFORE summer recess
    https://twitter.com/hoffman_noa/status/1544334019030130689

Meanwhile Bozo's plan is to move the Summer Recess to start on Thursday....
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,432
    Scott_xP said:

So relentless is the juggernaut of scandal surrounding Boris Johnson that it’s worth remembering that Pinchergate, Treehousegate, Carriegate, Blowjobgate, *and* the disastrous by-election results have all happened in just the last two weeks.
    https://twitter.com/NicholasPegg/status/1544328314118197249

The VoC was only four weeks ago...

But however irresistible the force, the object still looks pretty immovable for now.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Like when that Chinese submarine surfaced in the middle of an American fleet?
    Wasn’t that a Swedish sub on a NATO exercise? Or have there been multiple occurrences that I missed?
  • Options
    Leon said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Interesting

Yet those US pilots report being buzzed by these UFOS every day for two years. And the UFOs are not tiny birds, these are considerable "aircraft" that attain great speed and show advanced maneuverability. So they must be easily visible to the naked eye

So where are the videos and photos of these? I'd whip my bloody iPhone out, sharpish

The whole thing is deeply confounding. I've thought about it hard and I can't find one easy single explanation
    I can - lies
This discussion has been closed.