Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The confidence vote takes place tonight – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411

New: Opinium has the first snap poll of public view on today's confidence vote

59% think Tory MPs should vote to remove PM
    28% think they should vote to keep him
    13% Don't know

https://twitter.com/TomLarkinSky/status/1533764283116441600

Quite good for the PM that I think ?

At the risk of sounding @HYUFD, I think that means most Tories back Boris.
  • The public will not give the Tories another chance to reinvent themselves.

Clearly Mordaunt would be a huge improvement over Johnson.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914

Well, kids. It appears this is my 50 thousandth post!!!

I have clearly been idling away the last few years by spending a lot of time on here.

Many thanks to OHG, TSE and Robert for keeping this excellent forum up and running.

Lightweight.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    Anyway, I shall stop championing someone who I think can beat Labour. But she would be a brilliant Prime Minister.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    Pulpstar said:

13% Don't know

OTOH it might be the SNP, PC, LD and some Labour (and SF depending on the polling) voters all wanting Mr J to stay ...
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Thread tracking public declarations of support (for what they’re worth):

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1533713196414124033
  • Heathener said:

Anyway, I shall stop championing someone who I think can beat Labour. But she would be a brilliant Prime Minister.

She'd definitely prevent some damage, let's hear her policies first.
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442

A lot of movement in Tory leader odds already. Penny Mordaunt now joint favourite.

https://twitter.com/simmons__/status/1533760062237335552

Would become the first PM to be named after a ship, rather than vice-versa
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,575
    Taz said:

@OwenJones84
    Who do you think would be the most dangerous opponent for Labour as Boris Johnson's successor?

Speaking honestly, I think Penny Mordaunt.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1533754889888743424

Owen doesn't know anything.
    Actually, he is right to fear Penny Mordaunt but I am not sure she will win
    She’s a Leaver and has a large majority. She is also fairly untainted by the current shower.

Question is would the membership vote for her
    Yep
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,414

He will speak to us...

And we all know what comes out when he opens his mouth.

Do Tory MPs ?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,871
    Taz said:

@OwenJones84
    Who do you think would be the most dangerous opponent for Labour as Boris Johnson's successor?

Speaking honestly, I think Penny Mordaunt.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1533754889888743424

Owen doesn't know anything.
    Actually, he is right to fear Penny Mordaunt but I am not sure she will win
    She’s a Leaver and has a large majority. She is also fairly untainted by the current shower.

Question is would the membership vote for her
    I would vote for Mordaunt over Hunt or Sunak or Truss or Raab or Patel and I am a Tory member. I would also vote for Wallace too
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594

The public will not give the Tories another chance to reinvent themselves.

Clearly Mordaunt would be a huge improvement over Johnson.

Absolutely correct. Especially after a huge defeat.

They wouldn't get beyond 'conservatives stand for....' before the jeering and the gales of mocking laughter started.
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

JRM now going around telling MPs they will end up with a GE very soon if they vote Johnson out today.

That doesn't make any sense at all, the new PM makes that decision.
    Given the return to the old way of calling an election - could Boris call one tomorrow for the Lols and what stops him doing so?
    The Queen would hate being dragged into politics, but if hes a lame dick she'd have to say no.
    Roger said:

Andy_JS said:

Just been through the list of Tory MPs and got 132 MPs who are likely to vote against Johnson. My personal assessment. Could be wrong.

Be interesting to hear Alastair Meeks thoughts. He's usually pretty accurate. A great shame he no longer posts here. Another one lost at the alter of Leon/SeanT
    That was not the reason.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452

A lot of movement in Tory leader odds already. Penny Mordaunt now joint favourite.

Churchill, yes, but others as well surely - Grafton perhaps (depending which one), for instance.
  • ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    kle4 said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

JRM now going around telling MPs they will end up with a GE very soon if they vote Johnson out today.

Given the return to the old way of calling an election - could Boris call one tomorrow for the Lols and what stops him doing so?
    The Queen would hate being dragged into politics, but if hes a lame dick she'd have to say no.
    Typo of the day...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,414
    PJH said:

Cookie said:

Heathener said:

@PennyMordaunt
    Today I will be attending Portsmouth’s commemoration service to remember the efforts and sacrifice of #DDay. Privilege to have met so many who took part and proud of #Portsmouth role. #DDay78

https://twitter.com/PennyMordaunt/status/1533727319466119169

Classy from our next PM....
    Has due diligence been done on Mourdant? She would be a right wing leader, so not not a unifier in the party or someone whose idealism and instinct would be to tack to the centre?
    Yeah but she also has a real gritty working class background.

She's a very dangerous prospect for Labour. She eviscerated Angela Rayner and I suspect she would look very impressive up against Starmer.

She'd be capable of winning the centre voters as well as the red wall: all that military background is perfect and unlike Boris it's for real.

I think she's hugely impressive and if she were to win a GE I'd be pretty chilled about it, unlike most other Conservatives.

She'd be very dangerous for Labour.
    Yes, not often I agree with you politically, but I think I'm with you in seeing her as my favoured candidate. My only reservations are the worry that perhaps to some extent I favour her partly because she hasn't had the experience or prominence yet to do or say things that annoy me; or that I am filling in the gaps in my understanding of her with hope.
    I feel like there's a lot of ramping going on with Mordaunt. For a party in government for 12 years she's really inexperienced: only 2 years in a relatively minor department and then barely enough time to brew a cup of tea at Defence. What has she actually done? Does this just reflect a lack of good candidates, that people are projecting their ideals on her because she's a blank canvas?

I had to look her up because apart from a vague idea she'd been in the Cabinet under May and then sacked immediately by Johnson (a plus point) the only thing I knew about her was that she'd been on TV in some swimming programme.
    What had Johnson done, other than make a complete cods of being FS ?
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

13% Don't know

OTOH it might be the SNP, PC, LD and some Labour (and SF depending on the polling) voters all wanting Mr J to stay ...
    Well, quite. I know how I’d have responded if Opinium had interviewed me 😉
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

@PennyMordaunt
    Today I will be attending Portsmouth’s commemoration service to remember the efforts and sacrifice of #DDay. Privilege to have met so many who took part and proud of #Portsmouth role. #DDay78

Has due diligence been done on Mourdant? She would be a right wing leader, so not not a unifier in the party or someone whose idealism and instinct would be to tack to the centre?
    There is no chance the membership will elect anyone who is not as committed to a hard Brexit as Johnson is, in fact they just want someone who is more pro low taxes and low spending than Johnson as well and tougher on immigration and ideally less carbon net zero obsessed.

So forget any leader winning who will be left of Johnson and anti Brexit
    But Johnson is being sacked today because he has messed up Brexit - it’s too hard and business want it watered down. that’s the truth underlying all this isn’t it, Tories have no choice now but to install a government to give business the changes they want to Brexit, in order to ever win again?
    Rubbish, you are deluded if you think the Tory membership will elect anyone who is not as pro hard a Brexit as Johnson if not more so.

That is the Tory voting coalition primarily now, hard Leavers and lose them to Farage again and they would be left with nothing
    I’m DELUDED to see continued Brexit fault line in voters, MPs and party members, and deluded suspecting the new non Boris government may cuddle up to business again post Boris and tweak the current Brexit deal accordingly? 🙂
    Last traded - Smarkets

Johnson wins 1.26
    Johnson loses 4.90
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    I see Dorries is now going for the jugular publicly against Hunt. I’m not sure characters like her help the Johnson cause. Cultish
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335
    I've had a nibble on him losing confidence vote.

So, he's well safe. :smile:
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526
    It's superficial but having a PM who's as photogenic as Penny Mordaunt would change the country's image after Boris. She'd instantly become a global political star. Even the New York Times might find something nice to say.
    edited June 2022

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

@PennyMordaunt

There is no chance the membership will elect anyone who is not as committed to a hard Brexit as Johnson is, in fact they just want someone who is more pro low taxes and low spending than Johnson as well and tougher on immigration and ideally less carbon net zero obsessed.

But Johnson is being sacked today because he has messed up Brexit - it’s too hard and business want it watered down. that’s the truth underlying all this isn’t it, Tories have no choice now but to install a government to give business the changes they want to Brexit, in order to ever win again?
    Rubbish, you are deluded if you think the Tory membership will elect anyone who is not as pro hard a Brexit as Johnson if not more so.

That is the Tory voting coalition primarily now, hard Leavers and lose them to Farage again and they would be left with nothing
    I’m DELUDED to see continued Brexit fault line in voters, MPs and party members, and deluded suspecting the new non Boris government may cuddle up to business again post Boris and tweak the current Brexit deal accordingly? 🙂
    It won't as Tory members will not elect a leader who wants to align to EU regulations again and certainly not one who would restore free movement.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,025
    Applicant said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Typo of the day...
    Missing apostrophe, obvs. Rest of it looks ok.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,525

I see Dorries is now going for the jugular publicly against Hunt. I’m not sure characters like her help the Johnson cause. Cultish

I have no idea why Hunt is the favourite, absolutely no idea. I suppose the bettors know what they're doing.

Not surprised that Mordaunt has overtaken Truss though.
  • MISTYMISTY Posts: 1,594
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

@PennyMordaunt

It won't as Tory members will not elect a leader who wants to align to EU regulations again and certainly not one who would restore free movement.
    100% correct.
    Applicant said:

kle4 said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Typo of the day...
    If theres one thing even his detractors cannot claim he has a problem with it is that. Other than thinking with it.
    Last traded - Smarkets - No Confidence votes against Johnson: Over/Under 150

150 or fewer 1.56
    Over 150 2.82

Over feels value?
    Applicant said:

Last traded - Smarkets

Johnson wins 1.26
    Johnson loses 4.90

It’s obvious here he wins the actual vote, makes it a no brainier how to bet - but a simple 1 vote win doesn’t define win very clearly does it. In fact the real win/lose number we couldn’t define with all our PB collective intelligence?

Anything upward of 130 against is a clear Boris defeat?
    “4/4You told others that PM and Gov would swiftly collapse on back of Brexit and you would swoop in. You told me as much in Victoria St after GE. If you had been leader you’d have handed the keys of No10 to Corbyn. You’ve been wrong about almost everything, you are wrong again now”

..from Nadine Dorries. Ugh. The Johnson cultists will burn the whole house down
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,571
    Raab accuses Victoria Derbyshire of being partisan

"Well Suzanne you are being your normal partisan self"
    Mad Nad’s mad: - to Hunt:

3/4 Your pandemic preparation during six years as health secretary was found wanting and inadequate.Your duplicity right now in destabilising the party and country to serve your own personal ambition, more so.

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1533763409627566080
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,442
    Carnyx said:

Churchill, yes, but others as well surely - Grafton perhaps (depending which one), for instance.
    I'm sure someone here can reel off all ships named after Prime Ministers.

But so far the list of Prime Ministers named after ships appears to be 0.

I have no idea why Hunt is the favourite, absolutely no idea. I suppose the bettors know what they're doing.

He was the last candidate, simple as that I think. Without a clear successor now Sunak has no shot who else would occur to casual bettors?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,266

Applicant said:

Last traded - Smarkets

Johnson wins 1.26
    Johnson loses 4.90

It’s obvious here he wins the actual vote, makes it a no brainier how to bet - but a simple 1 vote win doesn’t define win very clearly does it. In fact the real win/lose number we couldn’t define with all our PB collective intelligence?

Probably. I think at least 130 will vote against him.
    edited June 2022
    Carnyx said:

Pulpstar said:

13% Don't know

We joke about this sort of response on PB all the time, but the numbers that would answer in this way are minimal. My guess is it would be something like 85 - 15 "out" edit: 10% in (Don't knows, natch) for non Tories with the Conservative vote making up the balance to "Boris should stay".
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526
    edited June 2022

3/4 Your pandemic preparation during six years as health secretary was found wanting and inadequate.Your duplicity right now in destabilising the party and country to serve your own personal ambition, more so.

On afternoon of 23rd July 2020 when I was health minister you telephoned me to tell me that we had to handle the pandemic following the example set by the East/China. That people testing + should be removed from their homes and placed into isolation hotels for two weeks.

You said yr wife’s family had experience of this during SARS. I said that British people would never tolerate being removed from their homes and loved ones at which point you demanded I show you the evidence for that. Your handling of the pandemic would have been a disaster.

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1533763407970816002
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995

I do hope Boris goes one way or the other. The leadership election will be brutal.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,019

I don't think she'll stand. I may be wrong, but so far she's shown no appetite for the leadership. Some people just hesitate at the wrong time, don't take the tide at the flood. Rishi is another recent example.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,656
    Heathener said:

Stereodog said:

Heathener said:

@PennyMordaunt

She's a very dangerous prospect for Labour. She eviscerated Angela Rayner and I suspect she would look very impressive up against Starmer.

She'd be capable of winning the centre voters as well as the red wall: all that military background is perfect and unlike Boris it's for real.

I think she's hugely impressive and if she were to win a GE I'd be pretty chilled about it, unlike most other Conservatives.

Does she have a gritty working class background? One of her ancestors was involved in a famous Victorian divorce case involving the Prince of Wales.
    She's got big-time military credentials,.
    Why is this important?

It's not even true. She is a S/Lt(Acting) in the RNR which means she has crossed Portsmouth Harbour in a P2000.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,899

“4/4You told others that PM and Gov would swiftly collapse on back of Brexit and you would swoop in. You told me as much in Victoria St after GE. If you had been leader you’d have handed the keys of No10 to Corbyn. You’ve been wrong about almost everything, you are wrong again now”

Sounds to me like she knows Boris is a goner and she wants to prevent Hunt taking over. It’s kamikaze stuff

Why are his defenders shittalking people on Twitter and in media? It has to be performative, since the audience that matters is Tory MPs and not all will see you defending big dog.

Johnson will support Johnson

A concise summary of his political ideology and career.

No, she's only taking out Hunt - he was never going to win anyway.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,656

I know the Joobs hullabaloo already seems ancient history (or no history at all in my bit), but best take yet.

Who the fuck dresses their eight year old like the Wolf of Wall Street?
    Dura_Ace said:

Heathener said:

Stereodog said:

Heathener said:

@PennyMordaunt

Does she have a gritty working class background? One of her ancestors was involved in a famous Victorian divorce case involving the Prince of Wales.
    Why is this important?

It's not even true. She is a S/Lt(Acting) in the RNR which means she has crossed Portsmouth Harbour in a P2000.
    For British MPs that's like being a brigadier general.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,459
    Can't call it.

But push me and I say he'll lose it. Once it's in the air that it's possible it becomes a bit of a don't push the red button situation.

A bit like the Brexit vote. Shit you mean if we vote this way we get to choose on this issue? That seems too good an opportunity to pass up.
    kle4 said:

Why are his defenders shittalking people on Twitter and in media? It has to be performative, since the audience that matters is Tory MPs and not all will see you defending big dog.
    Taking out Hunt because she knows Johnson is a goner? (I see Leon has suggested that)
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,170
    Leon said:

Roger said:

Andy_JS said:

Just been through the list of Tory MPs and got 132 MPs who are likely to vote against Johnson. My personal assessment. Could be wrong.

Be interesting to hear Alastair Meeks thoughts. He's usually pretty accurate. A great shame he no longer posts here. Another one lost at the alter of Leon/SeanT
    I am not SeanT, I am Leon. Can you tell me how I chased away Alistair Meeks?

I don’t believe I did, for a second. He’s a classy commentator, highly intelligent, and perfectly capable of defending himself.

He just went a bit mad after Brexit and got teased on here for it (by others as well as me), and he made the probably sensible decision that he was not in the right frame of mind for daily debate which left him demented. He also became quite nasty in his final months. Which is a shame, I am sure it’s not the real Mr Meeks

He seems happier now; this is good
    Here is his take from.last week.

https://alastair-meeks.medium.com/studying-the-headless-chicken-entrails-7110fd9e5cd

TL;DR: he's plumped for a narrow Johnson defeat with a low degree of confidence.
    edited June 2022

Hunt will probably be the centrist candidate again in the final 2 if Boris goes, he might even win the MPs vote. Sunak will be fishing in the same pool of more moderate Tory MPs as Hunt and Hunt will now likely knock him out as Sunak's poll numbers have collapsed.

However I cannot see him winning the membership vote, Mordaunt, Wallace or Raab or Truss would all beat Hunt when it got to the membership in my view as Johnson trounced Hunt with members in summer 2019
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,322
    So if Boris lost and refused to accept the result would we see a Jan 6th type insurrection? Could this fancy dress shitshow

Be a precursor to this

Quite a successful assault, there

If this is all true about Hunt it casts a lot of shade

This leaves Mordaunt v Truss? Maybe Sunak still in with a shout?
    Leon said:

Wallace? He’s had a good few years
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Whilst this is all very fun there's no way he actually loses the Confidence Vote is there?
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    Our crowdsourced score is currently 73-31 in Johnson's favour

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/1533770637772218370

Does anyone know how that compares with public declarations on the Theresa May vote?
    Alistair said:

Whilst this is all very fun there's no way he actually loses the Confidence Vote is there?

Maybe a 10% chance that he loses outright.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    edited June 2022
    Dura_Ace said:

Heathener said:

Stereodog said:

Heathener said:

@PennyMordaunt

Why is this important?

She's the daughter of a para, grew up in a military home, is a Royal Navy reservist and is even named after a navy ship. She was Defence Secretary, represents a very military minded constituency and is constantly doing things in and around military and defence matters - today being another example.

It matters because she's far more authentic to the red wall voters than Boris would ever be.

Anyway, I've said quite enough about her. I want a Labour Government, no matter how much I admire her.
    Heathener said:

“ she would be a brilliant Prime Minister “

Based on?

Unlike a lot of lefty’s on here pushing Mourdant, I’m trying to help the Conservatives achieve due diligence in this leadership election (which I suspect we have to wait for won’t happen this week).

A Key bit of due diligence for me is asking, do they maintain Boris Brexit Deal 100%, or cosy back up to Business and fight LibDems and Labour in Remainia by tweaking Boris Brexit Deal.

I think in not just choosing a leader but the direction needed this is a fair yardstick to get the leadership election right. And I currently (it could change when she actually lays out her platform) have Penny Mourdant down as a right wing Tory who will run into problems by not even contemplating tweaking Boris Brexit Deal.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,495
    TOPPING said:

Can't call it.

But push me and I say he'll lose it. Once it's in the air that it's possible it becomes a bit of a don't push the red button situation.

A bit like the Brexit vote. Shit you mean if we vote this way we get to choose on this issue? That seems too good an opportunity to pass up.

I think he’ll either a) win it so narrowly that it will essentially do for him or b) surprise loss.

I don’t see this being a minor rebellion that he will comfortably see off. There’s too many Tories having come forward this morning complaining about the PM to suggest this is all going to slip away quietly with a vote of 55-70.

Current guess is anywhere from 120-190 against.
    Leon said:

Hunt has no chance, he's far too sensible. The party is still in denial.
    Leon said:

Nadine is quite good at attack lines. Remember 'arrogant posh boys who don't know the price of milk'.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,352

Leon said:

Nadine is quite good at attack lines. Remember 'arrogant posh boys who don't know the price of milk'.
    Dorries-Mogg dream ticket.

Leon said:

Wallace? He’s had a good few years
    Electing him would be an expression of defeatism. Starmer is not gonna be worried by boring Ben Wallace, with his zero ideas and zero charisma

The only way the Tories can win is with someone fresh and interesting, that gives the impression they have new energy and things to do. Right now that feels, maybe, like Mordaunt. I am probably painting my hopes onto the white canvas but at least she is interesting. Impressive backstory. Any of them would be a gamble, but keeping Boris is a bigger gamble

She’d certainly worry Labour. She’s such an unknown quantity they wouldn’t know how to handle her, for a while

The idea that Mordaunt could get more Tory MP votes than Truss seems very unlikely.
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757

Leon said:

Mainly due to both her and JRM are pretty nasty pieces of work.
    edited June 2022
    Andy_JS said:

The idea that Mordaunt could get more Tory MP votes than Truss seems very unlikely.
    There is precedent for an outsider. Davis vs. Cameron.

Leon said:

Shades too of Ann Widdecombe's 'something of the night' about Michael Howard that torpedoed his chances of becoming Tory leader in 1997 to succeed Major
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,993
    Andy_JS said:

Why? What makes you think that Truss has existing MP support?
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757
    Alistair said:

loses in numbers? No.
    Wins poorly enough that he's fatally wounded? Who knows.
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,269
    Alistair said:

I see him winning the vote, by what margin will determine how weakened he is and ultimately the sort of time frame around his eventual departure date.
    edited June 2022

Our crowdsourced score is currently 73-31 in Johnson's favour

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/1533770637772218370

Does anyone know how that compares with public declarations on the Theresa May vote?

Michael Fabricant 🇬🇧🇺🇦🌻
    @Mike_Fabricant
    Statement regarding Boris Johnson sent to me.
    If you had any doubt, I will be supporting him.

Everyone knows how these things work, but normally this part isn't said out loud I think ?
    Andy_JS said:

Is Truss that popular? I would have thought the self-glorification and fake-Maggie schtick would be grating on them a bit.

Of all the likely leaders I think Labour would most hope for Truss. Pretty easy to demolish. They probably wouldn't mind Rishi either because they can blame him as having been at the tiller when the economy went belly up.

I agree Mordaunt would worry them more for the reasons various people have given. But I don't think she will stand.
    TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

Is Truss that popular? I would have thought the self-glorification and fake-Maggie schtick would be grating on them a bit.

Of all the likely leaders I think Labour would most hope for Truss. Pretty easy to demolish. They probably wouldn't mind Rishi either because they can blame him as having been at the tiller when the economy went belly up.

I agree Mordaunt would worry them more for the reasons various people have given. But I don't think she will stand.
    My thinking is that holding one of the great offices of state still counts for something with Tory MPs.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 679
    Jonathan said:

Leon said:

That would certainly be the preferred ticket from the point of view of Labour/Plaid/SNP......
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,459
    edited June 2022

TOPPING said:

Can't call it.

I think he’ll either a) win it so narrowly that it will essentially do for him or b) surprise loss.

I don’t see this being a minor rebellion that he will comfortably see off. There’s too many Tories having come forward this morning complaining about the PM to suggest this is all going to slip away quietly with a vote of 55-70.

Agree but still think he might lose it.

Is a majority of the PCP really thinking that he is the only leader guaranteed to win us the next GE? Can't see it.
    All this talk of potential successors just underlines how Boris hollowed out the Conservative party. There is no strong cabinet successor. There is no new strand of Conservative thinking waiting in the wings to set out a new direction.

The cabinet rivals are deliberately very weak and the populist stuff has drowned out the intellectuals, half of whom were sacked.

Boris has prepared well for this moment.

• AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Tory MPs are actually idiots if they let Boris survive this.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,695
    edited June 2022
    Penddu2 said:

Jonathan said:

Leon said:

That would certainly be the preferred ticket from the point of view of Labour/Plaid/SNP......
    The Goebbels/Goering wet dream ticket.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,143
    Farooq said:

boulay said:

So if Boris lost and refused to accept the result would we see a Jan 6th type insurrection? Could this fancy dress shitshow

Be a precursor to this

Yellow hoodie: Casino Royale
    Fur and horns: Leon
    The first picture is just a Jamariqui album cover tribute....
    80…..

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1533773452032761858

It would be a hoot if a dishonest PM was brought down by MPs lying about their support for him….
    Andy_JS said:

Applicant said:

Last traded - Smarkets

Johnson wins 1.26
    Johnson loses 4.90

135-160 against him A fatal wound, where the animal runs away from view still alive but soon dies?

The reason we can’t have exact number to tell the potency of blow is because of abstentions?
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 679
    I think Boris will temporarily survive tonight - but with enough voting against him (160 is my prediction) that would be fatally wounding for any normal/rational person - but he will bluster on ...and on...and on... and drag this charade out for another month before being kicked out anyway. More popcorn needed
    edited June 2022
    Jonathan said:

All this talk of potential successors just underlines how Boris hollowed out the Conservative party. There is no strong cabinet successor. There is no new strand of Conservative thinking waiting in the wings to set out a new direction.

The cabinet rivals are deliberately very weak and the populist stuff has drowned out the intellectuals, half of whom were sacked.

Although to be fair a couple of the most promising potential successors hollowed out themselves without Boris having to do anything.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,618
    Andy_JS said:

Not sure that Truss is as popular with other MPs as she is with herself.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,729
    edited June 2022
    Heathener said:

And thirdly Penny Mordaunt becoming the first minister to Sign in parliament.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12paYQUEGaE

A deeply impressive performer.

Did you hear her Global Britain nonsense? She's the Leaver's Leaver. She makes Leon sound balanced. She'd be f*ing awful which means she'll probably win. At least she'd get rid of JRM and Patel.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Can't call it.

Agree but still think he might lose it.

Is a majority of the PCP really thinking that he is the only leader guaranteed to win us the next GE? Can't see it.
    Worst result for the Tories is a narrow Johnson win, followed by the customary brazen arrogance as JRM tours the airwaves slagging off half the parliamentary party while telling the public it's time to draw a line and move on. Meanwhile half the population finds itself overdrawn by mid month as month 3 of galactic energy bills, diesel edging up to £2 and the irritation of thousands of cancelled flights really start to bite. That's the route to big losses on the 23rd and a 15%+ national polling deficit with the Lib Dems up to 16%.
    It's 4/1 that Johnson loses tonight with Betfair Exchange.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.199959695
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,519
    There is no way he loses tonight which is, for those who want a change of Government next election, the optimum scenario. Partygate isn't an issue with the electorate anymore because people have made their minds up. By backing him the PCP will be seen to be as out of touch with the public as he is.

Andy_JS said:

Applicant said:

Last traded - Smarkets

Johnson wins 1.26
    Johnson loses 4.90

135-160 against him A fatal wound, where the animal runs away from view still alive but soon dies?

The reason we can’t have exact number to tell the potency of blow is because of abstentions?
    Usually there are very few, if any, abstentions in these Tory leadership votes.
    Taken the plunge: Over 150 against Boris @ 2.6 Smarkets

Jonathan said:

Although to be fair a couple of the most promising potential successors hollowed out themselves without Boris having to do anything.
    Boris appointed flawed characters (Truss) to senior positions and if one gets above their station (Sunak, Javid) he used his press chums to cut them down to size.

What's left is a mess. They need William Hague (or as near as damn it).
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335
    Penddu2 said:

I think Boris will temporarily survive tonight - but with enough voting against him (160 is my prediction) that would be fatally wounding for any normal/rational person - but he will bluster on ...and on...and on... and drag this charade out for another month before being kicked out anyway. More popcorn needed

You think the rebels will be back after the loss of the two by-elections then?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,507

On afternoon of 23rd July 2020 when I was health minister you telephoned me to tell me that we had to handle the pandemic following the example set by the East/China. That people testing + should be removed from their homes and placed into isolation hotels for two weeks.

You said yr wife’s family had experience of this during SARS. I said that British people would never tolerate being removed from their homes and loved ones at which point you demanded I show you the evidence for that. Your handling of the pandemic would have been a disaster.

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/1533763407970816002
    Quite damning.

This discussion has been closed.