Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The first findings from the Grey report don’t look good for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,533
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

EITHER 54 letters announced tomorrow

OR I never vote tory again, unless my MP (G Cox, Con) has crossed the floor by close of business

Never been so disgusted

Never say never... I said I would never vote Labour after Iraq, but I have forgiven them that now that
    1. A long time has passed
    2. Their leader apologised specifically for it and meant it
    3. The Conservatives have become just so fucking terrible
    That’s very true. I could not bring myself to vote Tory at the moment. I have reconciled myself to voting for Starmer.. I will hopefully be able to go back in time once the party has shown it can change again.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,915

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Between Boris Johnson's performance today and that poll finding I have lost faith in my country.

Take my advice.

Emigrate.
    Tempted to move to France, Canada, or Australia.
    Well, you can knock Canada off the list - that's where the Hawaiian pizza was invented.
    If you think our winters are cold and dark, try Canada's
    Vancouver isn't cold. Nor is populated Canada darker. It's much further south than us.
    Most Canadians live south of Seattle. One of my favourite facts.
    Winnipeg has over 600,000 people and is -6 Celsius today. Edmonton has over 1 million people and is -15 degrees Celsius today.

Parts of populated Canada certainly do get very cold in winter
    Nevertheless you also said “dark”. Sunset in Winnipeg today will be, in local time, a whole half hour later than mine - and I have one of the longest winter daylight spans in the UK.
    Edmonton, population over 1 million, is north of us and therefore darker than us in winter too as well as colder
    Edmonton is 53.56°N.
    That's a lot more south than me.
    There's a reason the Glaswegians are revolting:

Just about everywhere in the US is less cloudy than the UK, although I suspect the map is not picking up specific areas such as the Olympics west of Seattle. Most of Canada too.

You have to go somewhere like Kerguelen in the Southern Ocean to get significantly worse.

I expect there is a satellite derived map somewhere but I haven't found it.

(There's a version with a scale but it is a bit big to post inline)
    https://external-preview.redd.it/OHaEsE5gvooo7czRlTObIht4NSUrvxU1rxSebiz4mGw.png?auto=webp&s=306df060fd5ffc6db94e5cfcb5977cc89f87c8d8
    The 2 August 2027 total solar eclipse passes through Luxor, which according to one site I looked at has a 100% chance of sunshine (presumably rounded to the nearest 1%).

With a six minute totality duration Luxor will be the place to be that day.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    Just caught up with all the craic. What a load of embarrassing shite.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,574
    Farooq said:

Nadine Dorries is clearly an idiot, but she didn't seem drunk to me. Not at all. Playing a bad hand badly, and seemingly surly and defensive. But not drunk.

The best bits were the closing exchanges and half-smiles and knowing glances as the interview concluded
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    Farooq said:

Nadine Dorries is clearly an idiot, but she didn't seem drunk to me. Not at all. Playing a bad hand badly, and seemingly surly and defensive. But not drunk.

I didn't have the sound on - but it was quite a drunken sway.

But back to my point-

What was Ms Davidson's excuse?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Between Boris Johnson's performance today and that poll finding I have lost faith in my country.

Take my advice.

Emigrate.
    Tempted to move to France, Canada, or Australia.
    Well, you can knock Canada off the list - that's where the Hawaiian pizza was invented.
    If you think our winters are cold and dark, try Canada's
    Vancouver isn't cold. Nor is populated Canada darker. It's much further south than us.
    Most Canadians live south of Seattle. One of my favourite facts.
    Winnipeg has over 600,000 people and is -6 Celsius today. Edmonton has over 1 million people and is -15 degrees Celsius today.

Parts of populated Canada certainly do get very cold in winter
    Nevertheless you also said “dark”. Sunset in Winnipeg today will be, in local time, a whole half hour later than mine - and I have one of the longest winter daylight spans in the UK.
    Edmonton, population over 1 million, is north of us and therefore darker than us in winter too as well as colder
    Edmonton is 53.56°N.
    That's a lot more south than me.
    There's a reason the Glaswegians are revolting:

Just about everywhere in the US is less cloudy than the UK, although I suspect the map is not picking up specific areas such as the Olympics west of Seattle. Most of Canada too.

You have to go somewhere like Kerguelen in the Southern Ocean to get significantly worse.

I expect there is a satellite derived map somewhere but I haven't found it.

(There's a version with a scale but it is a bit big to post inline)
    https://external-preview.redd.it/OHaEsE5gvooo7czRlTObIht4NSUrvxU1rxSebiz4mGw.png?auto=webp&s=306df060fd5ffc6db94e5cfcb5977cc89f87c8d8
    The 2 August 2027 total solar eclipse passes through Luxor, which according to one site I looked at has a 100% chance of sunshine (presumably rounded to the nearest 1%).

With a six minute totality duration Luxor will be the place to be that day.
    Luxor’s no place to be in August
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797
    JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

OR I never vote tory again, unless my MP (G Cox, Con) has crossed the floor by close of business

Never been so disgusted

Never say never... I said I would never vote Labour after Iraq, but I have forgiven them that now that
    Not so young then...
    No, alas.
    Anyway, you promised me an elixir of youth. I'll do you a swap if you like. I'll give you a year's supply of toothpaste in exchange.

I'm guessing that's about half a tube for you.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2022
    IshmaelZ said:

Roger said:

moonshine said:

Roger said:

Watching Ch4 News it's easy to imagine him going and quickly. It was something from the Kindergarten. Quite embarrassing for all Tories and all Johnson supporters. He's a lump and a man child. Watching Ruth Davidson crying was quite shocking

The clip
    https://twitter.com/channel4news/status/1488235127847243780?s=21
    It's a killer clip.
    Search twitter for "pissed" this evening and you get a Nadine interview
    I saw it, she does look and sound a little "hot and bothered". The usual evasive answers. It's a shame he didn't ask her whether she'd been drinking.

:smiley:
  • Options
    Farooq said:

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Never been so disgusted

Not so young then...
    No, alas.
    Anyway, you promised me an elixir of youth. I'll do you a swap if you like. I'll give you a year's supply of toothpaste in exchange.

I'm guessing that's about half a tube for you.
    Since the vid I've had the teeth polished up a bit and I brush my teeth (nearly) everyday but they are still fucked. I've got enough toothpaste so don't need any toothpaste backhanders.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,887
    Boris claimed that crime was down 14% but according to the ONS last Thursday it is UP 14%.

Safest to believe the precise opposite of any claim Boris makes. Indeed, I have no memory of an occasion when Boris has told the truth.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

"He’s made us all look corrupt and made the country feel like fools"

Any party that makes the likes of Boris Johnson - or Donald Trump - its leader IS corrupt, by definition.

And any country that elects their like, such as the UK - or USA - and puts them into power is ipso facto a pack of fools.

EDIT - I point this out, mainly in derision of the "made us" in the chastened Tory MPs remark. Much like Joe Rogan "sorry if I pissed you off".

Or any alleged "apology" ever uttered (apparently) by Boris Johnson.

So that makes Italy which elected Berlusconi or France which elected Sarkozy and Fillon, all convicted criminals, corrupt too?
    Have you never visited France or Italy?
    Bit unfair. HYUFD was urging us to be patriotic post-Brexit - something along the lines of taking our dirty weekends in Swansea or Skegness or somewhere like that the other week. Maybe even Brighton for all I know.
    That brings back great memories of dirty weekends in Brighton with a Japanese lady.,,,
    Did you have kippers on the Brighton Belle?
    Just sushi.... ;)
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022

IshmaelZ said:

Roger said:

moonshine said:

Roger said:

Watching Ch4 News it's easy to imagine him going and quickly. It was something from the Kindergarten. Quite embarrassing for all Tories and all Johnson supporters. He's a lump and a man child. Watching Ruth Davidson crying was quite shocking

The clip
    https://twitter.com/channel4news/status/1488235127847243780?s=21
    It's a killer clip.
    Search twitter for "pissed" this evening and you get a Nadine interview
    I saw it, she does look and sound a little "hot and bothered". The usual evasive answers. It's a shame he didn't ask her whether she'd been drinking.

:smiley:
    Frankly, having been given the task of going out to defend Johnson this evening, no-one should blame her if she decided to get pissed beforehand.
  • Options
    I see Newcastle are putting together a great squad....for the Championship.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,930
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

May realised she needed a bigger majority to get Brexit through in some form. Stacked the election, for a number of reasons, winning only a pyrrhic victory.

Boris made the exact same calculation, helped by 2 more years of, how do we put this politely, wrangling.

Country really should not be surprised we're in the position we are in.

Good Analysis

Red lines, hard brexit, increasingly clear that she was on a course to a minimal deal, I was meaning, really. She certainly wasn't very good at implementing all that she had set the scene for by continually gratifying the ERG, though.

Bad Analysis
    The crucial missing word is in the first sentence - May realised she needed a bigger majority to get *Hard* Brexit through in some form. Soft Brexit wouldn't have allowed her to stay on as Tory leader, so, despite being a much more diligent and sometimes honourable prime minister than Boris Johnson, it was much her now forgotten opportunism that led to Boris as anything else.
    Hard and Soft Brexit is Remoaner language.

Both May and Boris were merely trying to get out of the EU which proved to be far more difficult than leaving a "democratic" institution should be.
    ...and Remoaner is the language of a moron.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,064

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Any party that makes the likes of Boris Johnson - or Donald Trump - its leader IS corrupt, by definition.

And any country that elects their like, such as the UK - or USA - and puts them into power is ipso facto a pack of fools.

EDIT - I point this out, mainly in derision of the "made us" in the chastened Tory MPs remark. Much like Joe Rogan "sorry if I pissed you off".

So that makes Italy which elected Berlusconi or France which elected Sarkozy and Fillon, all convicted criminals, corrupt too?
    Bit unfair. HYUFD was urging us to be patriotic post-Brexit - something along the lines of taking our dirty weekends in Swansea or Skegness or somewhere like that the other week. Maybe even Brighton for all I know.
    That brings back great memories of dirty weekends in Brighton with a Japanese lady.,,,
    More likely to get kippers on the Clacton train.
    Or the Mallaig one of long, long ago (alas).
  • Options

Great craic
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Just sushi.... ;)
    Ah, not so long ago. But JJ has pointed out we may be able to in future ... *contemplates a day outing with my Camden friend*
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,264
    Am told Boris Johnson compared himself to Othello while addressing Conservative MPs tonight. He said he always sees the best in people, unlike Dominic Cummings (who he cast as Iago)
    https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1488249949284409354
  • Options
    Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

May realised she needed a bigger majority to get Brexit through in some form. Stacked the election, for a number of reasons, winning only a pyrrhic victory.

Boris made the exact same calculation, helped by 2 more years of, how do we put this politely, wrangling.

Good Analysis

Red lines, hard brexit, increasingly clear that she was on a course to a minimal deal, I was meaning, really. She certainly wasn't very good at implementing all that she had set the scene for by continually gratifying the ERG, though.

Bad Analysis
    The crucial missing word is in the first sentence - May realised she needed a bigger majority to get *Hard* Brexit through in some form. Soft Brexit wouldn't have allowed her to stay on as Tory leader, so, despite being a much more diligent and sometimes honourable prime minister than Boris Johnson, it was much her now forgotten opportunism that led to Boris as anything else.

Both May and Boris were merely trying to get out of the EU which proved to be far more difficult than leaving a "democratic" institution should be.
    Well there was > 650 / 2 of them at one point.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Am told Boris Johnson compared himself to Othello while addressing Conservative MPs tonight. He said he always sees the best in people, unlike Dominic Cummings (who he cast as Iago)

..and even better in himself.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,201

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Starmer was excellent today. But today is not about the opposition. It’s about Tory MPs and what they stand for.

The number of letters must be very close to 54 tonight.
    Nowhere near. There will be 30 odd. You are confusing the PCP for vertebrates. Schoolboy error.
    Gary Gibbon on C4 News, whom I rate on these matters, reckons the numbers are there, but they’re split on whether to break cover now, or later.
    “Now is not the time”

It ain’t happening.

I was right then and right now: Boris is going nowhere.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad
    Yes well I was referring to Remoaners.

Sorry for not making that clear.

EDIT: Remoaner MPs
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,264
    The report ultimately will have changed few minds. The key facts were already known. Conservative MPs can choose to stick with the prime minister, but he showed on Monday that they would be fools to think he is in any way chastened by events.

https://www.ft.com/content/9ca17c71-d4b5-46c9-81a6-0820d2c3c73b
  • Options
    Katy Balls: Gray’s update, in which she was more than keen to stress this was not her report and just a summary, and Johnson’s response to it, has put him back in the danger zone.

When he needed to be statesmanlike and contrite, he was angry and combative – even refusing to commit to publishing the full report once the police investigation was concluded (a position Downing Street has already had to U-turn on).

His attack on Keir Starmer for the failure to prosecute Jimmy Savile (a claim that has been disproven) dismayed even his own MPs – while his questioning of drug use by the Labour frontbench was viewed as simply bizarre. “It was terrible,” says one member of the payroll… behind the scenes, discomfort is building. Johnson’s response to the report has only added to doubts about his future. For all the talk from Johnson of change in how No 10 operates, the part that most worries MPs is that he may not realise that he needs to change, too.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,481

Interesting comment on R5 earlier about the first transfers Man City bought after the money arrived. Take a look. Not the players you might expect.
  • Options
    Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

My twitter's hinting that Nadine was drunk for her media stint.

Does Ms/(Mrs?) Davidson have the same excuse?

Lady Davidson, actually, now she doesn't bother to get elected any more. What's she been doing?
  • Options

Nope. I think they’ll stay up.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

Would rather be a remoaner than a whopper
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    Scott_xP said:

Then he should follow Othello’s example, and do what the moor did when he found out that he’d been deceived by Iago.
  • Options

Everton will be a huge game next Tuesday. I’ll be there in the Gallowgate.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Lady Davidson, actually, now she doesn't bother to get elected any more. What's she been doing?
    I forgot about the Lady thing, ta

Lady Davidson was "greeting" on C4 news.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

Blimey - You're still moronic enough to class yourself as a Remoaner?

Do you think Sir Keir will get you back in to the European Union???
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Starmer was excellent today. But today is not about the opposition. It’s about Tory MPs and what they stand for.

Nowhere near. There will be 30 odd. You are confusing the PCP for vertebrates. Schoolboy error.
    Many a Tory MP tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf70iC4PERU
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,009
    Liz Truss tests positive for Covid
    Not going to Ukraine with Boris.
    Was with him today in the Commons.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Oh, why? I missed it. What's she been slicing onions over?
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135
    IanB2 said:

Katy Balls: Gray’s update, in which she was more than keen to stress this was not her report and just a summary, and Johnson’s response to it, has put him back in the danger zone.

When he needed to be statesmanlike and contrite, he was angry and combative – even refusing to commit to publishing the full report once the police investigation was concluded (a position Downing Street has already had to U-turn on).

His attack on Keir Starmer for the failure to prosecute Jimmy Savile (a claim that has been disproven) dismayed even his own MPs – while his questioning of drug use by the Labour frontbench was viewed as simply bizarre. “It was terrible,” says one member of the payroll… behind the scenes, discomfort is building. Johnson’s response to the report has only added to doubts about his future. For all the talk from Johnson of change in how No 10 operates, the part that most worries MPs is that he may not realise that he needs to change, too.

None of which makes any difference if nearly all his own MPs are too venal and cowardly to give him the boot. We'll end up being stuck with the bugger until 2024 - and if he makes a sufficiently effective job of bribing the aged, even that might not be the end of it.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

Hopefully. Although probably not.

EEA/EFTA will be fine for now. Probably where we always should have been.
  • Options

Boris claimed that crime was down 14% but according to the ONS last Thursday it is UP 14%.

Safest to believe the precise opposite of any claim Boris makes. Indeed, I have no memory of an occasion when Boris has told the truth.

"I always lie. In fact, I am lying to you now."
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,206
    Scott_xP said:

OMG what an absolute twat.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

Hopefully. Although probably not.

EEA/EFTA will be fine for now. Probably where we always should have been.
    Fair Do's

A bit oxymoronic but heh that happens to the best of us.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Boris.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1488235127847243780?s=20&t=-jcQ1mKOZVYHOyRcmYljhA
  • Options
    Most Tory backbenchers will never achieve anything in their political careers, and yet here is an opportunity to really make an impact.

By VONCing Boris, you get to uphold standards in public life AND be able to look at your children in the eye.

If not, not.

As a decision, indeed it’s easier than the one facing Republicans who at least have the excuse that their voters are also batshit insane. Polling shows that maybe even a majority of Tory voters think Boris lied and needs to go.
  • Options

Oh well they are putting together a crap squad for the EPL then :-)
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

We had to put up with Leavers moaning for 40 years... Your point?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,009
    "When you strike at a king, you must kill him"

Boris thinks he is the king. (Apparently he called himself the king as a boy.)

So I don't think there will be 54 votes soon. Only if and when they are certain they can kill the king will they strike. This requires 180 Tory MPS to win a VONC. That's a stretch.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

And sitting in the Commons today without a mask (next to Priti Patel). The only Tory frontbencher with a mask that I saw was Sunak.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

IanB2 said:

None of which makes any difference if nearly all his own MPs are too venal and cowardly to give him the boot. We'll end up being stuck with the bugger until 2024 - and if he makes a sufficiently effective job of bribing the aged, even that might not be the end of it.
    Guardian's live feed and tweets seem to think he has won over some doubters

Reading between the lines he survives for now, but is not secure going forward and it looks as if time and a change in the narrative may see him survive, but lots of dangers including the investigation into his own flat and the the cost of living crisis
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    I missed all the news today completely.
    I just had a read through the report and it was almost meaningless. It seems to amount to a "telling off" which would, under any other PM, be unthinkable. But Boris is immune to such criticism.
    We will wait and see what happens with the criminal stuff but the obvious way out for him and everyone around him is to just jovially accept a fixed penalty notice and laugh it off, with a few unimportant staffers being hung out to dry.
    My feeling at the moment is whatever political damage this has caused has already been done and priced in. The Gray report and future police investigations will not have much additional impact.
  • Options
    Boris’s maximum period of danger is now.
    If there is no VONC in the morning, there won’t be one.

Unless Dom has another leak up his sleeve, although it feels like all his bullets have been used up and/or taken away by the Met.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,047
    JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

But back to my point-

She is watching Boris destroy her precious union.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

And sitting in the Commons today without a mask (next to Priti Patel). The only Tory frontbencher with a mask that I saw was Sunak.
    I've already been through this - there was Javid as well.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Boris.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1488235127847243780?s=20&t=-jcQ1mKOZVYHOyRcmYljhA
    Ah, thank you.

Not, actually, her first time, come to think of it - but the last time is not a happy comparison for Mr J. Or the Scottish Tories and unionists.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/what-brought-ruth-davidson-to-tears-and-why-she-wants-broadcasters-to-put-a-cap-on-gambling-for-euros-3262323
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733
    edited January 2022

“Overall, Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW) estimates provide the best indicator of long-term trends in crime. Estimates from the TCSEW for the year ending September 2021 compared with the pre-coronavirus year ending September 20192 show:

A 14% increase in total crime, driven by a 47% increase in fraud and computer misuse.

Crime excluding fraud and computer misuse decreased by 14%, largely driven by an 18% decrease in theft offences.”

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/yearendingseptember2021

Boris telling porkies, whowouldathunkedit?
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Scott_xP said:

The report ultimately will have changed few minds. The key facts were already known. Conservative MPs can choose to stick with the prime minister, but he showed on Monday that they would be fools to think he is in any way chastened by events.

https://www.ft.com/content/9ca17c71-d4b5-46c9-81a6-0820d2c3c73b

Boris did what I expected of him and ignored the report.

So I was not surprised. Now I am just waiting to see if the MPs have the nerve to do what is needed, but having watched Nadine Dorris's car-crash interview, my expectations are very low.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    edited January 2022
    JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Boris.

Anyone who cries over the behaviour of a politician is daft. And, no, I am not including @Tissue_Price who has a genuine thing to be upset about
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited January 2022

Interesting comment on R5 earlier about the first transfers Man City bought after the money arrived. Take a look. Not the players you might expect.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_Manchester_City_F.C._season#Transfers_in

Kompany, Robinho, Zabaleta, Jo, Wright-Phillips, Bridge, Bellamy, Given...

That's a mix of outstanding world class potential talent and well established UK based international pros. Even a flop like Jo had been killing it at CSKA Moscow and was a Brazilian international.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211
    Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

Am told Boris Johnson compared himself to Othello

The character... or the game? If the latter, I've got a better game for him. Go.
    Comment of the day.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,078

Scott_xP said:

OMG what an absolute twat.
    Nope he's a lying twat - remember that he only sees what he can get out of people and if someone needs to be sacrificed to keep Boris in place then they will be sacrificed.
  • Options
    ping said:

“Overall, Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSEW) estimates provide the best indicator of long-term trends in crime. Estimates from the TCSEW for the year ending September 2021 compared with the pre-coronavirus year ending September 20192 show:

a 14% increase in total crime, driven by a 47% increase in fraud and computer misuse.

Crime excluding fraud and computer misuse decreased by 14%, largely driven by an 18% decrease in theft offences.”

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/crimeandjustice/bulletins/crimeinenglandandwales/yearendingseptember2021
    Theft and fraud have effectively moved online. It’s still crime though.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

No you haven't. UKIP aren't 40 years old. And Farage (the policy entrepenour) has only been prominent for 10 years or so.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,537
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Many a Tory MP tonight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf70iC4PERU
    Johnson is big on Churchill. Perhaps Starmer should have gone with this one:

'I remember when I was a child, being taken to the celebrated Barnum's Circus which contained an exhibition of freaks and monstrosities, but the exhibit on the programme which I most desired to see was the one described as "The Boneless Wonder.' My parents judged that that spectacle would be too revolting and demoralizing for my youthful eyes, and I have waited fifty years to see the boneless wonder sitting on the Treasury Bench.'
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

No you haven't. UKIP aren't 40 years old. And Farage (the policy entrepenour) has only been prominent for 10 years or so.
    You should brush up on some 90s history.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Boris.

Anyone who cries over the behaviour of a politician is daft.
    I think it's more that @Fairliered is right - she's been watching Mr Johnson destroy the Union, which she has made it her life's work to save. Not quite the same thing TBF. She's never been one to worship Mr J as a hero in stainless steel armour.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211

Scott_xP said:

Then he should follow Othello’s example, and do what the moor did when he found out that he’d been deceived by Iago.
    And get Laurence Fishburne to play him in a big budget movie?
  • Options

Kompany, Robinho, Zabaleta, Jo, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Bridge, Bellamy, Given...

That's a mix of outstanding world class potential talent and well established UK based international pros.
    Kompany has to be the bargain of all time - an outstanding player, a brilliant leader and a thoroughly superb individual. What a buy.

Zabaleta was also a superb buy as well.

Jo, on the other hand....
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 787

JBriskin3 said:

Farooq said:

But back to my point-

She is watching Boris destroy her precious union.
    I mean, as a Unionist living in Scotland, he definitely is destroying the Union.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

MrEd said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Boris.

I think it's more that @Fairliered is right - she's been watching Mr Johnson destroy the Union, which she has made it her life's work to save. Not quite the same thing TBF. She's never been one to worship Mr J as a hero in stainless steel armour.
    Yes, that is a fair point. Personally, I don't think BJ having a few drinks is going to destroy the Union but, if it does, it just shows how fragile it was in the first place.
  • Options
    Bizarre reference, Othello.

I’d say more Falstaff meets Richard III, personally.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

IanB2 said:

On a point of detail, surely Labour will be demanding a parliamentary apology for the saville comment?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Boris.

Anyone who cries over the behaviour of a politician is daft. And, no, I am not including @Tissue_Price who has a genuine thing to be upset about
    I don't partiularly want to be unkind to PB Star Bell but I do wonder how the PM giving a nudge PB reference as the final sentence to his response to Sir Keir might have played on his mind.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150
    Scott_xP said:

Oh that this too too solid flesh would melt.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Labour quick off the mark. I'm not a member but a simple email saying the country needs to change. Who can disagree so I sent them £25

Is that all? That's what you pay your cleaner for two weeks' work.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited January 2022
    MrEd said:

Kompany, Robinho, Zabaleta, Jo, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Bridge, Bellamy, Given...

That's a mix of outstanding world class potential talent and well established UK based international pros.
    Kompany has to be the bargain of all time - an outstanding player, a brilliant leader and a thoroughly superb individual. What a buy.

The point with Jo was at the time he was a full time Brazilian international and was a star in Russia.

To be fair, Guimarães is supposed to be very good, I am not sure anybody is renewing their season ticket because they signed Matt Targett or Chis Wood.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    edited January 2022
    Carnyx said:

MrEd said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Boris.

Hardly, the SNP still got lower in 2019 under Boris than they did in 2015 under Cameron and Davidson.

It is also Boris having to refuse indyref2 because SCon and SLAB failed to prevent an SNP and Green Holyrood majority last May
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,537
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh that this too too solid flesh would melt.
    A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. And a turd by any other name is still a shit.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797
    MrEd said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Boris.

Unfair on Davidson. She's very obviously frustrated at the way Boris has treated the electorate. When someone has taken people for a ride, it's bad enough. But when it's one of your own team it's worse.
    Davidson has always been a relatively heart-on-her-sleeve politician, and brings an emotional honesty along with her forthrightness. She is in some ways the polar opposite of Boris, and can see how toxic he is. He's undone a lot of the good work she did detoxifying the Conservatives north of the border. That's got to be a bit upsetting.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Boris.

Tbf I think it was triggered by her own similar recollections, earlier in the interview
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,446
    IshmaelZ said:

Never been so disgusted

He'll have to cross the Atlantic first
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Roger said:

Labour quick off the mark. I'm not a member but a simple email saying the country needs to change. Who can disagree so I sent them £25

Is that all? That's what you pay your cleaner for two weeks' work.
    I wouldn’t know
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Boris.

Ah, thank you.

Not, actually, her first time, come to think of it - but the last time is not a happy comparison for Mr J. Or the Scottish Tories and unionists.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/what-brought-ruth-davidson-to-tears-and-why-she-wants-broadcasters-to-put-a-cap-on-gambling-for-euros-3262323
    Thanks for the info.

I always thought she was overrated as Scots Tory leader. She did get the votes in though...
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

MrEd said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Boris.

I don't partiularly want to be unkind to PB Star Bell but I do wonder how the PM giving a nudge PB reference as the final sentence to his response to Sir Keir might have played on his mind.
    Just finished 'Midnight in Berlin' which is excellent. One of the leading secondary characters talks about his training in the Police where they were told, if you lose control of your emotions, you've lost the battle. I kind of feel like that when I see politicians getting emotional.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,392
    edited January 2022

MrEd said:

The point with Jo was at the time he was a full time Brazilian international and was a star in Russia.

To be fair, Guimarães is supposed to be very good, I am not sure anybody is renewing their season ticket because they signed Matt Targett or Chis Wood.
    JoeLinton was supposed to be very good too when they paid a similar amount for him. Oops.
  • Options

Everton will be a huge game next Tuesday. I’ll be there in the Gallowgate.
    Good luck sir
  • Options
    Arsenal's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang to have medical at Barcelona ahead of free transfer.

So Barcelona strike force is two Boro rejects and a bloke with heart damage....
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,930
    edited January 2022

ping said:

a 14% increase in total crime, driven by a 47% increase in fraud and computer misuse.

No one reports theft anymore because you can only contact the police online and it's known that they do nothing. The only people who make a report are people who want a crime number for insurance purposes
  • Options
    Taz said:

MrEd said:

JoeLinton was supposed to be very good too when they paid a similar amount for him. Oops.
    Brazilian Geoff Horsfield.
  • Options

Most Tory backbenchers will never achieve anything in their political careers, and yet here is an opportunity to really make an impact.

By VONCing Boris, you get to uphold standards in public life AND be able to look at your children in the eye.

If not, not.

As a decision, indeed it’s easier than the one facing Republicans who at least have the excuse that their voters are also batshit insane. Polling shows that maybe even a majority of Tory voters think Boris lied and needs to go.

No more Tory voters tonight still think Boris should stay than go

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1488232558793945089?s=20&t=Fi3Wi04ksxsUmicRr2k1Tw
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

I did not say "UKIP" I said "Leavers". It is up there ↑↑↑ you can see it if you look ....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MrEd said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Boris.

Tbf I think it was triggered by her own similar recollections, earlier in the interview
    If that is the case, that explains it. But Johnson is a shit, anyone who deals with anyone of his type knows that. I'd go for drinks with him but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him. If you genuinely put your life's work in the hands of such a person and now upset he's betrayed you, well...

But, yes, your point re grief at relatives dying still holds
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If not, not.

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1488232558793945089?s=20&t=Fi3Wi04ksxsUmicRr2k1Tw
    Only just, which is laughable
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If not, not.

Not so many Tory voters now, though, you have to admit, than some months back.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135
    IanB2 said:

pigeon said:

IanB2 said:

On a point of detail, surely Labour will be demanding a parliamentary apology for the saville comment?
    Even if they try they won't get it.

Honestly, first the Labour Party foisting Jeremy Corbyn and his mental cult upon the nation, and then the Tories with Boris Johnson the narcissistic, sociopathic compulsive liar - one has to wonder what we did to deserve this shower of shite. Up in Scotland, where they actually get another alternative that's capable of winning, you have to wonder what percentage of the SNP vote is really that sold on independence, and what fraction of it keep backing them over and over again because both the major alternatives are regarded as both irretrievably corrupt and certifiably insane.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,392

Unless Dom has another leak up his sleeve, although it feels like all his bullets have been used up and/or taken away by the Met.

I still think once he gets through this, and he will, the May locals are the real danger for him. Performs badly there and I think he’s doomed.
  • Options
    Roger said:

ping said:

No one reports theft anymore because you can only contact the police online and it's known that they do nothing. The only people who make a report are people who want a crime number for insurance purposes
    Actually, that's changing and our own Mike can add something on that. A couple of forces, led by Bedfordshire and (I think) Northants and Greater Manchester ran a scheme where they sent an officer to each burglary. Had such a big effect, it is being rolled out nationwide.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

I did not say "UKIP" I said "Leavers". It is up there ↑↑↑ you can see it if you look ....
    Yes I know that.

Referendum party got - (I'm guessing) 3 pc in 1997?

2022 minus 1997 (I used a casio this time) is 25.

But if you're just drunk and being hyperbolic I won't hold a grudge.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Taz said:

I still think once he gets through this, and he will, the May locals are the real danger for him. Performs badly there and I think he’s doomed.
    Provided the Tories hold Kensington and Chelsea and Westminster Boris will be fine.

Most of England does not have local elections in May, though London has all councillors up
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

MrEd said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

JBriskin3 said:

Carnyx said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

Boris.

Hardly, the SNP still got lower in 2019 under Boris than they did in 2015 under Cameron and Davidson.

It is also Boris having to refuse indyref2 because SCon and SLAB failed to prevent an SNP and Green Holyrood majority last May
    Give it a rest and stop parroting the party line. Johnson is more toxic than any leader I can remember, bar Corbyn.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,446
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Roger said:

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

Damn right there was lad

Weren't the Labour left the UKIPers of their day- 40 plus years ago?
This discussion has been closed.