Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The first findings from the Grey report don’t look good for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,574
    HYUFD said:

Angela Richardson resigns as Gove’s PPS over her “deep disappointment” at Partygate:

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1488219064422047753

MP for Guildford at risk of going LD
    I suspect her voters will go LD prior.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Between Boris Johnson's performance today and that poll finding I have lost faith in my country.

Take my advice.

Emigrate.
    Tempted to move to France, Canada, or Australia.
    Well, you can knock Canada off the list - that's where the Hawaiian pizza was invented.
    If you think our winters are cold and dark, try Canada's
    Toronto has brighter winters than London.

I’m finding New York very cold but the sunshine is glorious; I much prefer it.
    It was actually quite sunny in southern England today too in the day.

Temperature in Winnipeg at the moment however is -9 degrees Celsius.

In London it is 7 degrees celcius
    Winterpeg, its denizens call it, is not really a great compare for London.
    Winnipeg is closer to London in terms of distance from the equator than New York is
    London is rather closer to this thing called the 'sea'. Which has a 'Gulf Stream' going up it and keeping the 'British [sic] Isles' warm.

Winnipeg, or indeed anywhere in the continental interior of North America, is ****ing cold in winter because the sea left the Great Plains not long after the dinosaurs did.
    The dinosaurs having been abducted by aliens, no doubt?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,427
    edited January 2022
    This was the moment when Jim Callaghan lost the Vote of No Confidence and the rest, as they say, is history. Margaret Thatcher was elected Prime Minister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBJFssfH2Z8

Maggie would have been revolted by Boris Johnson. He wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in her Cabinet.
  • Options
    Aaron Bell tweets 'Proud to call Angela [Richardson] my friend.

https://twitter.com/AaronBell4NUL/status/1488221836848635911
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

Andy_JS said:

TOPPING said:

Just put a cheeky few quid on Boris to go Jan-Mar 22. When it happens it will happen quickly. We are on the brink I think. It's either now or 2024.

I think he'll survive the first confidence vote whenever it is.
    If it gets to VONC then I think the dam will burst and he will be toast. There is no love for him and today proved it. Whether the requisite number of letters is reached is the critical thing. I still think it is after May.
    Just realised- what a mix of metaphors!
    I know - I loved it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214

"He’s made us all look corrupt and made the country feel like fools"

Any party that makes the likes of Boris Johnson - or Donald Trump - its leader IS corrupt, by definition.

And any country that elects their like, such as the UK - or USA - and puts them into power is ipso facto a pack of fools.

EDIT - I point this out, mainly in derision of the "made us" in the chastened Tory MPs remark. Much like Joe Rogan "sorry if I pissed you off".

Or any alleged "apology" ever uttered (apparently) by Boris Johnson.

So that makes Italy which elected Berlusconi or France which elected Sarkozy and Fillon, all convicted criminals, corrupt too?
  • Options
    Heathener said:

This was the moment when Jim Callaghan lost the Vote of No Confidence and the rest, as they say, is history. Margaret Thatcher was elected Prime Minister.

Maggie would have been revolted by Boris Johnson.

A recording of that debate is knocking around somewhere on iPlayer and/or the Internet, and it’s a cracking listen. It really brings home how far debating standards have fallen in the Commons over recent decades. Despite his poor reputation, Callaghan puts in a tremendous speech, as does Mrs T.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

A recording of that debate is knocking around somewhere on iPlayer and/or the Internet, and it’s a cracking listen. It really brings home how far debating standards have fallen in the Commons over recent decades. Despite his poor reputation, Callaghan puts in a tremendous speech, as does Mrs T.
    Too right. I remember listening to it as a young lass, live on the radio and Callaghan was amazing in trying to win back the wavering support. Thanks so much for the link suggestion. I will have another listen!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,930

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Labour must be reviewing whether now is the right time to table a parliamentary confidence vote. They need to judge whether the momentum will have been lost by the time the Met eventually decide to take no action.

How could the likes of Hon Mr Bell vote confidence in Johnson after today?

They will not vote for a GE
    There's no need for a Parliamentary VONC. The letters to the 1922 committee procedure is purely an internal party matter.
    It was suggested Labour call a confidence vote and some conservatives would vote with Labour.

That is not the same as the 54 letters to the 1922
    I don't like Johnson and I want him to go but one has to admire his comprehensive takedown of Starmer was superb. First the Saville put down which the BBC are loving. Second the Starmer supported Corbyn who supported Putin put down, and I fell off my chair at the drug taking allegation.

Brandon Lewis on R4 PM thought the PM had equipped himself well. Sadly I have to agree. The punters will love the Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I do wonder how many of the breaches of the rules - let alone the guidelines - were by Carrie and her friends.

I suspect quite a few. The PM could argue that he had a reasonable excuse to be in the office. Carrie none. Nor Lulu or other friends.

That may explain some of his behaviour. He simply cannot - or dare not - admit something which would put his wife in the frame.

FWIW, this is where my thinking has gone. Hence, the 'check the official diaries' comment earlier.
    I've just had a horrible vision of BoJo stifling tears and saying that he has been acting all along to protect his wife and that he personally had no involvement in any wrongdoing..
    Why can't he just blame her? Gets the heatd off him, and she's not official any more than, say, a Speaker's wife is.
    She goes to the press
    Yepp. Carrie knows where all the bodies are buried.
    Boris is so bone idle she will have probably had to bury them for him (allegedly)
    Are you being serious about Starmer? Jimmy Saville was his lowest moment in an afternoon of low moments
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Between Boris Johnson's performance today and that poll finding I have lost faith in my country.

Take my advice.

Emigrate.
    Well, you can knock Canada off the list - that's where the Hawaiian pizza was invented.
    Vancouver isn't cold. Nor is populated Canada darker. It's much further south than us.
    Most Canadians live south of Seattle. One of my favourite facts.
    Winnipeg has over 600,000 people and is -6 Celsius today. Edmonton has over 1 million people and is -15 degrees Celsius today.

Parts of populated Canada certainly do get very cold in winter
    Nevertheless you also said “dark”. Sunset in Winnipeg today will be, in local time, a whole half hour later than mine - and I have one of the longest winter daylight spans in the UK.
    I remember a summer holiday staying in perhaps the UK's most northerly B&B on UNst on Shetland. The sheep were waking us up at some ridiculous time like 3 am when they woke. And bright sun for our after dinner walks high in the sky. But then I thought, what's this going to be like in winter ...?
    Easy to see (but not after 3pm in December) what drove Scots to such Banana Belts as Nova Scotia and Patagonia.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    HYUFD said:

Any party that makes the likes of Boris Johnson - or Donald Trump - its leader IS corrupt, by definition.

And any country that elects their like, such as the UK - or USA - and puts them into power is ipso facto a pack of fools.

EDIT - I point this out, mainly in derision of the "made us" in the chastened Tory MPs remark. Much like Joe Rogan "sorry if I pissed you off".

So that makes Italy which elected Berlusconi or France which elected Sarkozy and Fillon, all convicted criminals, corrupt too?
    Yes

Are they all going to be as easy as that?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

Michael Foot's winding up speech was also pretty good.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,887
    edited January 2022
    I watched too much of PMQs.

But putting aside the highlights - Keir, Blackford, May, and Bell - one observation is how generally ineffective Opposition MPs were.

Simply calling for Boris to resign doesn’t really do much. Of course Boris is not going to say, “You are right Nadia Whitthome, I will resign now.”

It would have been far more profitable to hammer at the bizarre inconsistencies both in the PM’s testimony so far, and indeed the process of inquiry.

Abbot had a creditable go, but there were only one or two others. Davey utterly sunk without trace, not sure what he was trying to do today.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I do wonder how many of the breaches of the rules - let alone the guidelines - were by Carrie and her friends.

I suspect quite a few. The PM could argue that he had a reasonable excuse to be in the office. Carrie none. Nor Lulu or other friends.

That may explain some of his behaviour. He simply cannot - or dare not - admit something which would put his wife in the frame.

FWIW, this is where my thinking has gone. Hence, the 'check the official diaries' comment earlier.
    I've just had a horrible vision of BoJo stifling tears and saying that he has been acting all along to protect his wife and that he personally had no involvement in any wrongdoing..
    Why can't he just blame her? Gets the heatd off him, and she's not official any more than, say, a Speaker's wife is.
    She goes to the press
    Yepp. Carrie knows where all the bodies bottles are buried.
    FTFY
    Ta.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.
    Vancouver isn't cold. Nor is populated Canada darker. It's much further south than us.
    Winnipeg has over 600,000 people and is -6 Celsius today. Edmonton has over 1 million people and is -15 degrees Celsius today.

Nevertheless you also said “dark”. Sunset in Winnipeg today will be, in local time, a whole half hour later than mine - and I have one of the longest winter daylight spans in the UK.
    Edmonton, population over 1 million, is north of us and therefore darker than us in winter too as well as colder
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,460

Heathener said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Labour must be reviewing whether now is the right time to table a parliamentary confidence vote. They need to judge whether the momentum will have been lost by the time the Met eventually decide to take no action.

There's no need for a Parliamentary VONC. The letters to the 1922 committee procedure is purely an internal party matter.
    It was suggested Labour call a confidence vote and some conservatives would vote with Labour.

I don't like Johnson and I want him to go but one has to admire his comprehensive takedown of Starmer was superb. First the Saville put down which the BBC are loving.

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I suspect

She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo
    You keep repeating this on here every few minutes but that doesn't make it any the more true.

No one else, literally no one else, thinks it was a smart move. The jibe lowered the tone still further and by linking Savile to the debate today, the impression people come away with is not what you think. It's of two disresputable people who got off without investigation.

And I'm sure you don't really mean to be saying that the BBC loved the Savile comment. I mean, apart from not knowing how to spell his name, do you not know anything about the background to Jimmy Savile and the BBC?
    It scythed Starmer down. Starmer was poor today. Mrs May, and Tissue price were excellent.

I thought Johnson came out swinging, and whether you and I might be disappointed that he saved his bacon, he did, because there are still not 54 MPs who were concerned enough to put their letters to Brady
    Gosh did you really think Starmer was poor? I very much didn't. That for me was pitch perfect.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

She goes to the press
    Yepp. Carrie knows where all the bodies bottles are buried.
    FTFY
    Ta.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Clearly you’ve never been to Italy or, if you have, never looked under the carpet (not that they have any there)?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,952
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

I remember a summer holiday staying in perhaps the UK's most northerly B&B on UNst on Shetland. The sheep were waking us up at some ridiculous time like 3 am when they woke. And bright sun for our after dinner walks high in the sky. But then I thought, what's this going to be like in winter ...?
    In the end, everywhere in the Northern hemisphere gets the same amount of daylight over the year.

It is the greyness of British winters that is so wearing. Bright sunny days like today are cold but pleasant, at least when not rather brain-fogged by covid.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

Winnipeg is closer to London in terms of distance from the equator than New York is
    London is rather closer to this thing called the 'sea'. Which has a 'Gulf Stream' going up it and keeping the 'British [sic] Isles' warm.

Winnipeg, or indeed anywhere in the continental interior of North America, is ****ing cold in winter because the sea left the Great Plains not long after the dinosaurs did.
    The Gulf Stream isn't the driver of Britain's milder winters. It's really to do with being downwind of the ocean.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,896

But putting aside the highlights - Keir, Blackford, May, and Bell - one observation is how generally ineffective Opposition MPs were.

Simply calling for Boris to resign doesn’t really do much. Of course Boris is not going to say, “You are right Nadia Whitthome, I will resign now.”

It would have been far more profitable to hammer at the bizarre inconsistencies both in the PM’s testimony so far, and indeed the process of inquiry.

Abbot had a creditable go, but there were only one or two others. Davey utterly sunk without trace, not sure what he was trying to do today.

Wera Hobhouse was a bit of a wtf moment too.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,634

malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

When it comes to grey hardly anywhere beats the UK.
    Yes.

I frankly came to dread the U.K. winter.
    And that was London. Christ knows what it’s like in, say, Glasgow.
    Southwest of Glasgow at coast is very mild , can be a bit wet but extremely pleasant. Plenty of nice bracing days , bit of sunshine and a few gales but perfectly lovely. Days are short mind you but you get bonus of only a few hours dark in summer so cannot complain.
    Afternoon, Malc.

I miss Scotland terribly as I haven’t been able to get up there for going on years now. I’m looking forward to the Scottish Tartan Parade here in NYC in April which will be hosted by Karen Gillan.

@TSE, I extend you a standing invitation.
    Karen Gillan you say.

I shall be there.

My own weakness in life is redheads.
    Are you a fan of Lloyd Russell-Moyle then?
  • Options
    Roger said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

I don't like Johnson and I want him to go but one has to admire his comprehensive takedown of Starmer was superb. First the Saville put down which the BBC are loving. Second the Starmer supported Corbyn who supported Putin put down, and I fell off my chair at the drug taking allegation.

Brandon Lewis on R4 PM thought the PM had equipped himself well. Sadly I have to agree. The punters will love the Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

She goes to the press
    Yepp. Carrie knows where all the bodies are buried.
    Boris is so bone idle she will have probably had to bury them for him (allegedly)
    Are you being serious about Starmer? Jimmy Saville was his lowest moment in an afternoon of low moments
    I think it was the lowest point for a serving PM that I have any awareness of.

What made it doubly offensive was that it was coupled with suggestions that the Gray report said the opposite of what it actually said, and the bare-faced appeal to “wait for the Met”.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,446
    IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

I don't like Johnson and I want him to go but one has to admire his comprehensive takedown of Starmer was superb. First the Saville put down which the BBC are loving.

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I suspect

She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo
    You keep repeating this on here every few minutes but that doesn't make it any the more true.

No one else, literally no one else, thinks it was a smart move. The jibe lowered the tone still further and by linking Savile to the debate today, the impression people come away with is not what you think. It's of two disresputable people who got off without investigation.

And I'm sure you don't really mean to be saying that the BBC loved the Savile comment. I mean, apart from not knowing how to spell his name, do you not know anything about the background to Jimmy Savile and the BBC?
    It scythed Starmer down. Starmer was poor today. Mrs May, and Tissue price were excellent.

I thought Johnson came out swinging, and whether you and I might be disappointed that he saved his bacon, he did, because there are still not 54 MPs who were concerned enough to put their letters to Brady
    You OK?

SKS was superb, and the 54 letters haven't not gone in yet
    He really wasn't. Aaron was heartfelt and brilliant, as was Mrs May. Mitchell was effective.

Starmer, Phillips, Blackford and Baker were particularly disappointing.

Johnson unfortunately held his own, whether it was good enough remains to be seen.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Heathener said:

Maggie would have been revolted by Boris Johnson. He wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in her Cabinet.

Huge queue to get into The Strangers' Galley Commons, joined it but didn't get in. Atmosphere outside Palace of Westminster was electric. Am sure I was asked for my opinion by a TV station, but doubt it was ever used.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

Edmonton, population over 1 million, is north of us and therefore darker than us in winter too as well as colder
    One presumes, finding Boris indefensible, that you have decided to focus on Canadian weather data?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

Yes.

Southwest of Glasgow at coast is very mild , can be a bit wet but extremely pleasant. Plenty of nice bracing days , bit of sunshine and a few gales but perfectly lovely. Days are short mind you but you get bonus of only a few hours dark in summer so cannot complain.
    Afternoon, Malc.

I miss Scotland terribly as I haven’t been able to get up there for going on years now. I’m looking forward to the Scottish Tartan Parade here in NYC in April which will be hosted by Karen Gillan.

Karen Gillan you say.

I shall be there.

My own weakness in life is redheads.
    Are you a fan of Lloyd Russell-Moyle then?
    Female redheads rock.

They are my Kryptonite.

They could get me to eat a Hawaiian pizza, that's their power over me.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,537
    Well, that was a busy old day, one way and another.

I do hope nothing exciting happened in politics while I was running around after all these other things.
  • Options

But what can you do, when calling a liar a liar is agaist the rules, and you only get one question and no follow ups?

The point about the lie on 8 Dec in pmqs about the 13 Nov party was hammered thoroughly home
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,497
    Watching episode 4 of the Watchmen. Still to work out what the hell is going on but I am fascinated by some superb characters and the complete weirdness.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

Not anywhere North of Manchester.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Angela Richardson resigns as Gove’s PPS over her “deep disappointment” at Partygate:

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1488219064422047753

MP for Guildford at risk of going LD
    Yes. It seems the burghers of the stockbroker belt have a bit more moral fibre than you.
    Officers have cracked and gone bolshie, but sergeants mess stays True Blue?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,019

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I suspect

She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo

You OK?

He really wasn't. Aaron was heartfelt and brilliant, as was Mrs May. Mitchell was effective.

Johnson unfortunately held his own, whether it was good enough remains to be seen.
    Thought Starmer was excellent.

There was bit where he went all patriotic and it wasn't cringe at all - difficult to pull off.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Redfield and Wilton.

Westminster Voting Intention (31 Jan):

Labour 40% (-1)
    Conservative 33% (-1)
    Liberal Democrat 11% (–)
    Green 6% (+1)
    Scottish National Party 4% (-1)
    Reform UK 3% (–)
    Other 2% (+1)

Changes +/- 24 Jan

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1488195386800021505

Still Labour lead under 10% then and still only a hung parliament.

Electoral Calculus gives Labour 300, Conservatives 255 and LDs 19 on the new boundaries
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=33&LAB=40&LIB=11&Reform=3&Green=6&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=18.3&SCOTLAB=20.2&SCOTLIB=6.6&SCOTReform=0.9&SCOTGreen=3&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=48&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase
    Hm. That doesn't take into account Mr Johnson's scintillating performance at PMQ today.
    Exactly. Wait till this sinks in.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Watching episode 4 of the Watchmen. Still to work out what the hell is going on but I am fascinated by some superb characters and the complete weirdness.

Starts good and gets rapidly more confusing and bollocks. Sorry.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Wera 'We should listen to health concerns about 5G' Hobhouse being a bit WTF, you say?
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,311
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

Edmonton is 53 N so about the same latutude as Dublin or Manchester. Toronto is about the same latitude as Marseille.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    HYUFD said:

At the moment which Nato leader is doing most to stand up to Putin? Not the EU President, Macron, Scholz or Biden but Boris, PM of post Brexit Britain.

Under Boris post Brexit Britain also has agreed a defence alliance with Biden's US and Morrison's Australia to contain Xi's China

Might he publish the Russia report then?

Face it, your party and your entire view of the economy has had its legs open for oligarchs and dirty money of all shades for decades now.

They will bluster, but they will not do anything to actually organise and preserve liberal democratic solidarity. Mainly because they don't really understand it themselves.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    edited January 2022

DavidL said:

Starts good and gets rapidly more confusing and bollocks. Sorry.
    It does all brilliantly come together in the end though. I loved it.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I suspect

She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo

You OK?

I don't buy your 'unfortunately' adverb. You work for Boris Johnson, don't you? Admit it?

No one I know thinks Johnson was good today and everyone I know, right or left, thinks SKS was dignified and got the tone just right. Even Priti Patel was nodding in agreement with him.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

IDK, perhaps in times to come random references to paedophiles will be considered the height of sophisticated debate.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    The thing about David Gawke's idea the MP's should act now as the Gray report when published will de damning anyway, is : what if the report isn't out for ages ?
  • Options
    PM announced intention to involve Backbenchers much more in new policy going forward using Sir Graham Brady as chair of new unit

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1488227431534276608
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,064

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

Easy to see (but not after 3pm in December) what drove Scots to such Banana Belts as Nova Scotia and Patagonia.
    Patagonia was the Welsh, on a point of order. How Green Was My Valley and all that, surely.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes, you're getting the hang of this at last.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    kle4 said:

Wera 'We should listen to health concerns about 5G' Hobhouse being a bit WTF, you say?
    I think the 5G criticisms are overdone.

The Lib Dems had a chance to focus on the shoddiness of the process here:

An inquiry that reports to the lead “suspect”.

A deliberate strategy to delay and obfuscate the House and public.

A Met investigation which may take months or even years to report.

Allegations of lying to the House which now might never be definitively addressed.

The resultant feeling of powerless in the country as leaders get off scot-free.

But they went with the standard, “my constituent missed granny’s funeral, won’t the PM resign” stuff. Which we’ve had.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

PM announced intention to involve Backbenchers much more in new policy going forward using Sir Graham Brady as chair of new unit

Classic 'buy off the rebels' move, which always begs the question of why they hadn't been involved previously when I am 100% certain No.10 would claim it had been listening to them already. But the sort of thing backbenchers love, so worth a few letter retractions perhaps.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

IDK, perhaps in times to come random references to paedophiles will be considered the height of sophisticated debate.
    People read more then and had a wider vocabulary on average as a result.

In the late 1970s there was no Internet, no social media, no iPhones and only 3 TV channels
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Just caught up. How can the Tories keep this Trumpian leader in post?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,537
    IshmaelZ said:

Why? It's not just his policies, albeit some of them are shit. The issue is he can't deliver them because he's incompetent, and he can't compensate with inspirational leadership because he's a mendacious liar whose credibility is totally shot.

That won't change because the people who have input into them has changed.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Tweet
    See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Alastair Meeks
    @AlastairMeeks
    The absence of any more Tory backbench questions is telling a story.

https://twitter.com/AlastairMeeks/status/1488196115044487173

Bloody right, is this the 5th SNP er in a row?

#ConBackbenchersBottledIt
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

I once met a couple of Canadians in Oslo, in winter, who didn't think it was particularly cold.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245

kle4 said:

The Lib Dems had a chance to focus on the shoddiness of the process here:

An inquiry that reports to the lead “suspect”.

A deliberate strategy to delay and obfuscate the House and public.

A Met investigation which may take months or even years to report.

Allegations of lying to the House which now might never be definitively addressed.

The resultant feeling of powerless in the country as leaders get off scot-free.

But they went with the standard, “my constituent missed granny’s funeral, won’t the PM resign” stuff. Which we’ve had.
    Yes he’s shameless it won’t work. But it plays well on their social media account.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Why? It's not just his policies, albeit some of them are shit. The issue is he can't deliver them because he's incompetent, and he can't compensate with inspirational leadership because he's a mendacious liar whose credibility is totally shot.

That won't change because the people who have input into them has changed.
    No, obv. I was taking it as an invitation to Sir G to lose a couple of letters
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,266
    HYUFD said:

Have you never visited France or Italy?
  • Options

The thing about David Gawke's idea the MP's should act now as the Gray report when published will de damning anyway, is : what if the report isn't out for ages ?

Rebel MPs had reason to wait until today, since it would have been difficult to get the required support with no 10 able to play the ‘wait for Gray’ defence.

Now that Gray has come out fairly bad - with a pointer of worse to come - there is less reason to wait.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

dr_spyn said:
    https://twitter.com/michaelgove/status/1488200463199653888?s=21

Meanwhile lick spittle Gove is quick out the traps to stand behind the PM.
    But we know he doesn't mean it. When Gove stands behind you is the time to be worried
  • Options
    Michael Foot is on here at about the 5 minute point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqzIZVJOQdk

Very funny! Foot also didn't use notes in the Commons. Until he went rather senile he was a brilliant orator.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,201
    Arguments about the climates of various cities are absolutely pointless given that climate data for these places is freely available online for anyone who can be bothered to make even a cursory google search.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,733

IshmaelZ said:

Tweet
    See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Alastair Meeks
    @AlastairMeeks

Boris is playing his party like a violin
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,404
    kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I suspect

She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo

Gosh did you really think Starmer was poor? I very much didn't. That for me was pitch perfect.
    I'm not sure what Mexicanpete was watching to be honest.
  • Options
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Bit unfair. HYUFD was urging us to be patriotic post-Brexit - something along the lines of taking our dirty weekends in Swansea or Skegness or somewhere like that the other week. Maybe even Brighton for all I know.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,196
    edited January 2022

malcolmg said:

Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

Yes.

Afternoon, Malc.

Should eb a good day out, pleasant host as well. Must be big change for you in NY with all that snow just now. One thing I miss nowadays , we used to get lots of snow when I was a boy. I loved it when I was in California , wintger at Lake Taho was brilliant.
  • Options
    Ch4 News is excellent. Dorries is crucifying herrself and her hapless boss.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254

IshmaelZ said:

Tweet
    See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Alastair Meeks
    @AlastairMeeks

Lol - raging
  • Options
    edited January 2022

kle4 said:

Oh, I suspect her position was just that a lot of local people were objecting and so she wanted to make sure she was on their side, it's what MPs generally do with planning applications after all as it is not their responsibility, and the official reasons for objecting would stick to actually defendable ones. But nevertheless a lot of the objections were nutty 5G ones and she either believed the same, or simply didn't want to upset people who did believe it, which to me amounts to about the same thing, intellectually and morally.

She was either being stupid or cowardly.

Her clarification shows she was probably being cowardly, as in 'There's no evidence it is unsafe, but please don't do it anyway just in case because my constituents think it is unsafe and I want their votes at some point'

Asked by the BBC to detail her concerns about health, Ms Hobhouse said she had spent time weighing up the available evidence and conceded that all the official guidance was that it was safe.

But she said that "given the widespread concern and conversations I have had with Bath residents who claim to be extra vulnerable, I believe it may be worth applying a precautionary principle on where masts are located whilst further studies are being undertaken".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55399513
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797
    ping said:

IshmaelZ said:

Tweet
    See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Alastair Meeks
    @AlastairMeeks

Like Nero (allegedly)
  • Options
    Politics was of such higher quality back then.

You can't blame it all on Boris Johnson. It has gone downhill for years. Tony Blair wasn't a parliamentarian, preferring media briefing to the House. David Cameron was okay I suppose. Theresa May likewise. The Remainer Parliament, even though I'm a remainer, was ridiculous really.

But Boris Johnson has taken politics down into the gutter.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Rebel MPs had reason to wait until today, since it would have been difficult to get the required support with no 10 able to play the ‘wait for Gray’ defence.

Now that Gray has come out fairly bad - with a pointer of worse to come - there is less reason to wait.
    If a new PM and team is already in place with a big broom, the fangs will have been pulled from the final report as regards damage to the Conservative Party.

If on the other hand this shower are still in charge when it’s released, the party photos will be the meme event of the year and quite probably still be remembered at the next election.

Personally I think it’s politically ruinous for MPs to wait much longer.
  • Options
    ApplicantApplicant Posts: 3,379
    IshmaelZ said:

The last refuge...
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Arguments about the climates of various cities are absolutely pointless given that climate data for these places is freely available online for anyone who can be bothered to make even a cursory google search.

What you’ll observe though, is no argument per se.

Just HYUFD posting random data into the void. It’s a kind of dead cat manoeuvre to avoid confronting the gaping lack of conscience.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

In the late 1970s there was no Internet, no social media, no iPhones and only 3 TV channels
    But heh at least we've got emojis :smile:
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,201
    As I keep saying, Boris is going nowhere. But that’s because of the rank cowardice of the PCP, not Starmer, who was excellent.
  • Options
    ping said:

IshmaelZ said:

Tweet
    See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Alastair Meeks
    @AlastairMeeks

If only he had music lessons as an alibi...
  • Options
    Michael Fabricant says Boris' address to the 1922 tonight was like a Billy Graham evangelical love in

https://twitter.com/Mike_Fabricant/status/1488229598903078912?s=20&t=Fi3Wi04ksxsUmicRr2k1Tw
  • Options
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but GRAY has been misspelt in the Thread title!
  • Options

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but GRAY has been misspelt in the Thread title!

No it hasn't, she has spelled her surname incorrectly.
  • Options
    Boris staying on might actually guarantee a Tory defeat in two years. Discuss.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Starmer was excellent today. But today is not about the opposition. It’s about Tory MPs and what they stand for.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I suspect

She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo

You OK?

I don't buy your 'unfortunately' adverb. You work for Boris Johnson, don't you? Admit it?

No one I know thinks Johnson was good today and everyone I know, right or left, thinks SKS was dignified and got the tone just right. Even Priti Patel was nodding in agreement with him.
    Boris better than Sir Keir today is also my analysis.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

But Boris is highly educated and well read, is he not? Knowledgable of the oratorical techniques of Ancient Greece. So what is his excuse?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,446

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I suspect

She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo

I wasn't, I was listening on 5Live in Tesco Brewery Field carpark in Bridgend. I'd just paid my tax bill for this half year, so I wasn't in the best of spirits, then Johnson came out swinging and the rebels including Baker all fell in behind him.

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but he looks safe to me
  • Options

OMG Sunyl that's awful. I say we take off and nuke OGH from orbit.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Ch4 News is excellent. Dorries is crucifying herrself and her hapless boss.

Yes, it was hilarious.

Very hard to find anyone Big Dog is loyal to, but Dorries is his little poodle.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Michael Fabricant says Boris' address to the 1922 tonight was like a Billy Graham evangelical love in

https://twitter.com/Mike_Fabricant/status/1488229598903078912?s=20&t=Fi3Wi04ksxsUmicRr2k1Tw

Suspect he is confused; he means Jim Jones.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

But Boris is highly educated and well read, is he not? Knowledgable of the oratorical techniques of Ancient Greece. So what is his excuse?
    And, just as much to the point, the Roman Senate. Knowing how to prosecute or defend utter crooks and criminals in the highest style still read and studied a thousand years later. Vide M. Tullius Cicero.

On reflection: accusing the opposition of aiding and abetting paedophilia, with a fold of his toga draped over his head in mock horror, is pretty much Ciceronian.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Suspect he is confused; he means Jim Jones.
    Was 'Billy Graham evangelical love in' not a criticism then? Because it seems like it should be.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    Carnyx said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Bit unfair. HYUFD was urging us to be patriotic post-Brexit - something along the lines of taking our dirty weekends in Swansea or Skegness or somewhere like that the other week. Maybe even Brighton for all I know.
    That brings back great memories of dirty weekends in Brighton with a Japanese lady.,,,
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Heathener said:

You can't blame it all on Boris Johnson. It has gone downhill for years. Tony Blair wasn't a parliamentarian, preferring media briefing to the House. David Cameron was okay I suppose. Theresa May likewise. The Remainer Parliament, even though I'm a remainer, was ridiculous really.

Grieve was an excellent parliamentarian however, and he was also the chief remainer. May tried to bypass parliament several times, which is why he came in. Compared to Boris, though, she's Mother Teresa.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

That brings back great memories of dirty weekends in Brighton with a Japanese lady.,,,
    Did you have kippers on the Brighton Belle?
  • Options

Heathener said:

Grieve was an excellent parliamentarian however, and he was also the chief remainer. May tried to bypass parliament many times, which is why he came in.
    The appalling actions of Grieve and co directly led to the elevation of Johnson to PM.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,169
    JBriskin3 said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I suspect

She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo

You OK?

Boris better than Sir Keir today is also my analysis.
    And I'm sure that you believe this has nothing to do with Sir Keir being more amenable to a Section 30 order than Boris is...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,042
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Take my advice.

Emigrate.

Edmonton is 53.56°N.
    That's a lot more south than me.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Grieve was an excellent parliamentarian however, and he was also the chief remainer. May tried to bypass parliament several times, which is why he came in. Compared to Boris, though, she's Mother Teresa.
    And look where his admitted intellect and parliamentary schemes got him.

He bet all and lost, rather than use his skills to facilitate something less risky and damaging. That doesn't make him responsible for how things turned out, but he may have been advised to focus his energies more effectively.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    moonshine said:

Heathener said:

Grieve was an excellent parliamentarian however, and he was also the chief remainer. May tried to bypass parliament many times, which is why he came in.
    The appalling actions of Grieve and co directly led to the elevation of Johnson to PM.
    No they didn't, but this is a common rewriting of history on the Brexiter side , that we've discussed many times on here. What made an extreme populist prime minister inevitable was in fact the actions of May in gradually excluding all softer Brexit options.

Grieve wasn't even that interested in the debate , relative to later, until she started talking not only about bypassing parliament but going ahead with a no-deal. This was an extreme populist offer she would never be able to implement herself, because she's ultimately just not that sort of politician, as we've seen today more happily.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Did you have kippers on the Brighton Belle?
    That's a bit personal. And anyway, she was Japanese, not French.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Opinium have done a snap poll this evening after the Gray report.

50% of Tory voters still want Boris to stay PM, 44% to go

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1488232558793945089?s=20&t=Fi3Wi04ksxsUmicRr2k1Tw
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2022

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I suspect

She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo

I wasn't, I was listening on 5Live in Tesco Brewery Field carpark in Bridgend. I'd just paid my tax bill for this half year, so I wasn't in the best of spirits, then Johnson came out swinging and the rebels including Baker all fell in behind him.

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but he looks safe to me
    He is safe for a while, I would agree, but only because the people with the power of sanction are his own MPs. It is still "emperor's new clothes". Even when he denies a party happened on the 13th November, and then the police say they are investigating a party in his flat on that day, yet he still won't admit it. Surely this is a job for the Standards Committee. You obviously never saw him grinning and laughing and taking the piss on screen.
This discussion has been closed.