Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The first findings from the Grey report don’t look good for Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,042
    Just to post the poll findings of all voters. Not just Tories.

- Two thirds of voters (64%) want Boris Johnson to resign following the Sue Gray report.
    - 83% believe he broke lockdown rules
    - 75% believe he is not telling the truth.

January 31, 2022
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,519

TOPPING said:

Thing is we're all saying how amazing Aaron Bell is but was he not paying attention on PB. Plenty of people have been saying for ages on here how manifestly unfit Boris is for office.

Has it only just dawned on @Tissue_Price.

More fool him if so and yes sorry because I realise he is s PB icon.

I don't ever remember him being a Johnson apologist? Correct me if I am wrong?
    Well he is in his party of government. That's a pretty strong endorsement and would have had to sign up to the Brexit pledge.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Opinium
    @OpiniumResearch
    2) The public think the report is bad, but no worse than expected.

61% of all voters say it was bad, but expected it to be.
    63% of Tory voters say it is bad, but they expected it to be.

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1488233060898414593
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254

moonshine said:

Heathener said:

Politics was of such higher quality back then.

You can't blame it all on Boris Johnson. It has gone downhill for years. Tony Blair wasn't a parliamentarian, preferring media briefing to the House. David Cameron was okay I suppose. Theresa May likewise. The Remainer Parliament, even though I'm a remainer, was ridiculous really.

But Boris Johnson has taken politics down into the gutter.

Grieve was an excellent parliamentarian however, and he was also the chief remainer. May tried to bypass parliament many times, which is why he came in.
    The appalling actions of Grieve and co directly led to the elevation of Johnson to PM.
    No they didn't, but this is a common rewriting of history on the Brexiter side , that we've discussed many times on here. What made an extreme populist prime minister inevitable was in fact the actions of May in gradually excluding all softer Brexit options.
    If May was still PM we'd still be negotiating our terms of release.

Got Brexit Done. Signed off Section 30 letter.

If Boris is indeed Toast I will remember him fondly.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,364
    HYUFD said:

Opinium have done a snap poll this evening after the Gray report.

50% of Tory voters still want Boris to stay PM, 44% to go

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1488232558793945089?s=20&t=Fi3Wi04ksxsUmicRr2k1Tw

Terrible result for Johnson!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,193
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

"He’s made us all look corrupt and made the country feel like fools"

Any party that makes the likes of Boris Johnson - or Donald Trump - its leader IS corrupt, by definition.

And any country that elects their like, such as the UK - or USA - and puts them into power is ipso facto a pack of fools.

EDIT - I point this out, mainly in derision of the "made us" in the chastened Tory MPs remark. Much like Joe Rogan "sorry if I pissed you off".

Or any alleged "apology" ever uttered (apparently) by Boris Johnson.

So that makes Italy which elected Berlusconi or France which elected Sarkozy and Fillon, all convicted criminals, corrupt too?
    Have you never visited France or Italy?
    Bit unfair. HYUFD was urging us to be patriotic post-Brexit - something along the lines of taking our dirty weekends in Swansea or Skegness or somewhere like that the other week. Maybe even Brighton for all I know.
    That brings back great memories of dirty weekends in Brighton with a Japanese lady.,,,
    Did you have kippers on the Brighton Belle?
    You might be able to find out soon:
    http://brightonbelle.com/
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    edited January 2022
    dixiedean said:

- Two thirds of voters (64%) want Boris Johnson to resign following the Sue Gray report.

January 31, 2022

All voters don't get a say until the next general election as we have a Tory majority government.

Until then only the views of Tory MPs, Tory members and Tory voters matter as to whether Boris stays PM
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,062
    I’ve just realised who JRM is - he’s Lord Haw Haw…..

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,193
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Thing is we're all saying how amazing Aaron Bell is but was he not paying attention on PB. Plenty of people have been saying for ages on here how manifestly unfit Boris is for office.

Well he is in his party of government. That's a pretty strong endorsement and would have had to sign up to the Brexit pledge.
    Goodness know what you made of Starmer serving in a cabinet under anti-Semite Corbyn!
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited January 2022
    JBriskin3 said:

moonshine said:

Heathener said:

You can't blame it all on Boris Johnson. It has gone downhill for years. Tony Blair wasn't a parliamentarian, preferring media briefing to the House. David Cameron was okay I suppose. Theresa May likewise. The Remainer Parliament, even though I'm a remainer, was ridiculous really.

Grieve was an excellent parliamentarian however, and he was also the chief remainer. May tried to bypass parliament many times, which is why he came in.
    The appalling actions of Grieve and co directly led to the elevation of Johnson to PM.
    No they didn't, but this is a common rewriting of history on the Brexiter side , that we've discussed many times on here. What made an extreme populist prime minister inevitable was in fact the actions of May in gradually excluding all softer Brexit options.

That's why she couldn't have been, as I was mentioning. She set an extremely populist agenda in motion but was just inherently incapable of delivering it, clearing the way inevitably for our friend Bozo, the most nakedly populist of the main candidates, to come in.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

JBriskin3 said:

Heathener said:

IshmaelZ said:

Heathener said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Labour must be reviewing whether now is the right time to table a parliamentary confidence vote. They need to judge whether the momentum will have been lost by the time the Met eventually decide to take no action.

How could the likes of Hon Mr Bell vote confidence in Johnson after today?

They will not vote for a GE
    There's no need for a Parliamentary VONC. The letters to the 1922 committee procedure is purely an internal party matter.
    It was suggested Labour call a confidence vote and some conservatives would vote with Labour.

That is not the same as the 54 letters to the 1922
    I don't like Johnson and I want him to go but one has to admire his comprehensive takedown of Starmer was superb. First the Saville put down which the BBC are loving.

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I do wonder how many of the breaches of the rules - let alone the guidelines - were by Carrie and her friends.

I suspect

That may explain some of his behaviour. He simply cannot - or dare not - admit something which would put his wife in the frame.

FWIW, this is where my thinking has gone. Hence, the 'check the official diaries' comment earlier.
    I've just had a horrible vision of BoJo stifling tears and saying that he has been acting all along to protect his wife and that he personally had no involvement in any wrongdoing..
    Why can't he just blame her? Gets the heatd off him, and she's not official any more than, say, a Speaker's wife is.
    She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo
    You keep repeating this on here every few minutes but that doesn't make it any the more true.

No one else, literally no one else, thinks it was a smart move. The jibe lowered the tone still further and by linking Savile to the debate today, the impression people come away with is not what you think. It's of two disresputable people who got off without investigation.

And I'm sure you don't really mean to be saying that the BBC loved the Savile comment. I mean, apart from not knowing how to spell his name, do you not know anything about the background to Jimmy Savile and the BBC?
    It scythed Starmer down. Starmer was poor today. Mrs May, and Tissue price were excellent.

I thought Johnson came out swinging, and whether you and I might be disappointed that he saved his bacon, he did, because there are still not 54 MPs who were concerned enough to put their letters to Brady
    You OK?

SKS was superb, and the 54 letters haven't not gone in yet
    He really wasn't. Aaron was heartfelt and brilliant, as was Mrs May. Mitchell was effective.

Starmer, Phillips, Blackford and Baker were particularly disappointing.

Johnson unfortunately held his own, whether it was good enough remains to be seen.
    I don't buy your 'unfortunately' adverb. You work for Boris Johnson, don't you? Admit it?

No one I know thinks Johnson was good today and everyone I know, right or left, thinks SKS was dignified and got the tone just right. Even Priti Patel was nodding in agreement with him.
    Boris better than Sir Keir today is also my analysis.
    And I'm sure that you believe this has nothing to do with Sir Keir being more amenable to a Section 30 order than Boris is...
    I'm a coalitionista so more favourable to Tory than Lab.

I'd vote for the Devil himself of the Satanic party Incorporated if it meant kicking out one SNP Type MP/MSP
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,519

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Goodness know what you made of Starmer serving in a cabinet under anti-Semite Corbyn!
    Unforgivable.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,078

Nick Gullon
    @EchoNickG
    · 8m
    Tomorrow's @TheNorthernEcho

Boris Johnson:

A failure of leadership

A failure of judgment

Continuing to fail our country

#TomorrowsPapersToday

• Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,404
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

January 31, 2022

All voters don't get a say until the next general election as we have a Tory majority government.

Until then only the views of Tory MPs, Tory members and Tory voters matter as to whether Boris stays PM
    Classic, the rest of the world doesn't count.
  • Options
    We on to Carrie's Abba Victory party yet ...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

January 31, 2022

11% of people are happy to have someone who lies to them as PM?

On 1 level I'm not surprised but Give me strength
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

January 31, 2022

Well, no.

Obvious point is obvious.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    I don’t think the papers will be good for Johnson.

MPs can go into meetings have lap up the rubbish Johnson serves up. But that doesn’t change the mood of the public, whom ultimately they will have to face
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,364
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

January 31, 2022

And the Police and the Crown Prosecution Service.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I watched too much of PMQs.

But putting aside the highlights - Keir, Blackford, May, and Bell - one observation is how generally ineffective Opposition MPs were.

Simply calling for Boris to resign doesn’t really do much. Of course Boris is not going to say, “You are right Nadia Whitthome, I will resign now.”

It would have been far more profitable to hammer at the bizarre inconsistencies both in the PM’s testimony so far, and indeed the process of inquiry.

Abbot had a creditable go, but there were only one or two others. Davey utterly sunk without trace, not sure what he was trying to do today.

Wera Hobhouse was a bit of a wtf moment too.
    Wera 'We should listen to health concerns about 5G' Hobhouse being a bit WTF, you say?
    I think the 5G criticisms are overdone.
    Oh, I suspect her position was just that a lot of local people were objecting and so she wanted to make sure she was on their side, it's what MPs generally do with planning applications after all as it is not their responsibility, and the official reasons for objecting would stick to actually defendable ones. But nevertheless a lot of the objections were nutty 5G ones and she either believed the same, or simply didn't want to upset people who did believe it, which to me amounts to about the same thing, intellectually and morally.

She was either being stupid or cowardly.

Her clarification shows she was probably being cowardly, as in 'There's no evidence it is unsafe, but please don't do it anyway just in case because my constituents think it is unsafe and I want their votes at some point'

Asked by the BBC to detail her concerns about health, Ms Hobhouse said she had spent time weighing up the available evidence and conceded that all the official guidance was that it was safe.

But she said that "given the widespread concern and conversations I have had with Bath residents who claim to be extra vulnerable, I believe it may be worth applying a precautionary principle on where masts are located whilst further studies are being undertaken".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55399513
    That's even worse than just being plane stupid.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

moonshine said:

Heathener said:

That's why she couldn't have been, as I was mentioning. She set an extremely populist agenda in motion but was just inherently incapable of delivering it, clearing the way inevitably for our friend Bozo, the most nakedly populist of the main candidates, to come in.
    TMay populist agenda?

I think she was trying to get us out of the EU but wasn't very good at it.

She was a safe pair of hands when it comes to low politics though.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

January 31, 2022

Yep, in our constitution only MPs of the party in power have the right to select the next PM . Then someone changed the rules and let party members (some of whom should not be let near crayons or blunt knifes) have a say in the decision. And look where that left us.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,392
    eek said:

Nick Gullon
    @EchoNickG
    · 8m
    Tomorrow's @TheNorthernEcho

Boris Johnson:

A failure of leadership

A failure of judgment

Continuing to fail our country

#TomorrowsPapersToday

He’s lost the Northern Echo. Hardly a shock there.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,574
    dixiedean said:

January 31, 2022

WTF is wrong with the other 25%?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,919
    Evening all :)

Moving on from Portugal, we have only a little time (well, 3 months) before Slovenia votes on April 24th.

If you think Portuguese or British politics is complex, welcome to the multi-dimensional nightmare that is Slovenia.

The latest poll - numbers compared to the last election in 2018

Slovenian Democratic Party: 26.0% (+1.1)
    Svoboda: 22.8% (new)
    Social Democrats: 13.9% (+4.0)
    The Left: 9.3% (+0.7)
    New Slovenia: 6.3% (-0.9)
    Marjan Sarec's List: 5.5% (-7.1)
    Alenka Bratusek's List: 4.5% (-0.6)

Svoboda is the former Green Actions Party which has been taken over by one Robert Golob, formerly State Secretary of the Republic of Slovenia and from what I can tell your average patriotic multi-billionaire businessman.

As we all know, the Slovenian National Assembly has 90 seats - the current minority coalition of the Slovenian Democratic Party, Let's Connect Slovenia and New Slovenia has 37 seats and is supported on a C&S basis by 10 MPs from smaller parties leading the Pensioners Party and the Slovenian National Party.

That's 47 and the 43 Opposition MPs come from the list parties of Marjan Sarec and Alenka Bratusek, the Social Democrats, The Left and two from Green Actions which is now Svoboda (see above).

The three main governing parties have seen their combined vote share fall from 46% to 36%.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,122
    Jonathan said:

Starmer was excellent today. But today is not about the opposition. It’s about Tory MPs and what they stand for.

The number of letters must be very close to 54 tonight.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,446

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Labour must be reviewing whether now is the right time to table a parliamentary confidence vote. They need to judge whether the momentum will have been lost by the time the Met eventually decide to take no action.

There's no need for a Parliamentary VONC. The letters to the 1922 committee procedure is purely an internal party matter.
    It was suggested Labour call a confidence vote and some conservatives would vote with Labour.

I don't like Johnson and I want him to go but one has to admire his comprehensive takedown of Starmer was superb. First the Saville put down which the BBC are loving.

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I do wonder how many of the breaches of the rules - let alone the guidelines - were by Carrie and her friends.

I suspect

That may explain some of his behaviour. He simply cannot - or dare not - admit something which would put his wife in the frame.

FWIW, this is where my thinking has gone. Hence, the 'check the official diaries' comment earlier.
    I've just had a horrible vision of BoJo stifling tears and saying that he has been acting all along to protect his wife and that he personally had no involvement in any wrongdoing..
    Why can't he just blame her? Gets the heatd off him, and she's not official any more than, say, a Speaker's wife is.
    She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo
    You keep repeating this on here every few minutes but that doesn't make it any the more true.

No one else, literally no one else, thinks it was a smart move. The jibe lowered the tone still further and by linking Savile to the debate today, the impression people come away with is not what you think. It's of two disresputable people who got off without investigation.

And I'm sure you don't really mean to be saying that the BBC loved the Savile comment. I mean, apart from not knowing how to spell his name, do you not know anything about the background to Jimmy Savile and the BBC?
    It scythed Starmer down. Starmer was poor today. Mrs May, and Tissue price were excellent.

I thought Johnson came out swinging, and whether you and I might be disappointed that he saved his bacon, he did, because there are still not 54 MPs who were concerned enough to put their letters to Brady
    Gosh did you really think Starmer was poor? I very much didn't. That for me was pitch perfect.
    I'm not sure what Mexicanpete was watching to be honest.
    I wasn't, I was listening on 5Live in Tesco Brewery Field carpark in Bridgend. I'd just paid my tax bill for this half year, so I wasn't in the best of spirits, then Johnson came out swinging and the rebels including Baker all fell in behind him.

Maybe I am reading it wrong, but he looks safe to me
    He is safe for a while, I would agree, but only because the people with the power of sanction are his own MPs. It is still "emperor's new clothes". Even when he denies a party happened on the 13th November, and then the police say they are investigating a party in his flat on that day, yet he still won't admit it. Surely this is a job for the Standards Committee. You obviously never saw him grinning and laughing and taking the piss on screen.
    He is relying on the police report to determine there is not enough evidence to proceed, which is the inevitable conclusion, despite 300 photos. That in turn allows him to bury Gray's report.

If it looks like he is losing the 2024 GE on the back of a collapsed economy he will throw in some seriously illiberal red meat, and he will win.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

moonshine said:

Heathener said:

TMay populist agenda?

Red lines, hard brexit, increasingly clear that she was on a course to a minimal deal, I was meaning, really. She certainly wasn't very good at implementing all that she had set the scene for by continually acquiescing to the ERG, though.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

moonshine said:

Heathener said:

TMay populist agenda?

May realised she needed a bigger majority to get Brexit through in some form. Stacked the election, for a number of reasons, winning only a pyrrhic victory.

Boris made the exact same calculation, helped by 2 more years of, how do we put this politely, wrangling.

Country really should not be surprised we're in the position we are in.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    stodge said:

Moving on from Portugal, we have only a little time (well, 3 months) before Slovenia votes on April 24th.

If you think Portuguese or British politics is complex, welcome to the multi-dimensional nightmare that is Slovenia.

Svoboda is the former Green Actions Party which has been taken over by one Robert Golob, formerly State Secretary of the Republic of Slovenia and from what I can tell your average patriotic multi-billionaire businessman.

As we all know, the Slovenian National Assembly has 90 seats - the current minority coalition of the Slovenian Democratic Party, Let's Connect Slovenia and New Slovenia has 37 seats and is supported on a C&S basis by 10 MPs from smaller parties leading the Pensioners Party and the Slovenian National Party.

That's 47 and the 43 Opposition MPs come from the list parties of Marjan Sarec and Alenka Bratusek, the Social Democrats, The Left and two from Green Actions which is now Svoboda (see above).

The three main governing parties have seen their combined vote share fall from 46% to 36%.

Although we did all know it, of course, I imagine other people not here will be surprised how small the National Assembly is even for a nation of 2 million.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I suspect

She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo

Gosh did you really think Starmer was poor? I very much didn't. That for me was pitch perfect.
    I wasn't, I was listening on 5Live in Tesco Brewery Field carpark in Bridgend. I'd just paid my tax bill for this half year, so I wasn't in the best of spirits, then Johnson came out swinging and the rebels including Baker all fell in behind him.

He is safe for a while, I would agree, but only because the people with the power of sanction are his own MPs. It is still "emperor's new clothes". Even when he denies a party happened on the 13th November, and then the police say they are investigating a party in his flat on that day, yet he still won't admit it. Surely this is a job for the Standards Committee. You obviously never saw him grinning and laughing and taking the piss on screen.
    He is relying on the police report to determine there is not enough evidence to proceed, which is the inevitable conclusion, despite 300 photos. That in turn allows him to bury Gray's report.

If it looks like he is losing the 2024 GE on the back of a collapsed economy he will throw in some seriously illiberal red meat, and he will win.
    Would love to know what red meat is left to throw at people after 14 years of a Tory Government.
  • Options

May realised she needed a bigger majority to get Brexit through in some form. Stacked the election, for a number of reasons, winning only a pyrrhic victory.

Boris made the exact same calculation, helped by 2 more years of, how do we put this politely, wrangling.

Good Analysis

Red lines, hard brexit, increasingly clear that she was on a course to a minimal deal, I was meaning, really. She certainly wasn't very good at implementing all that she had set the scene for by continually gratifying the ERG, though.

Bad Analysis
  • Options
    That said, when this blows over, we'll have the imaginary-not-imaginary culture war to contend with.

Brilliant.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,887

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

moonshine said:

Heathener said:

TMay populist agenda?

As ever, Brexit was the Pandora’s box that turned the country to shit.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Where’s Ave It?
  • Options
    The jibe about Savile was unforgivable. Really cheap. Starmer may be dull but he’s a man of integrity. It’s typical of our politics at the moment. Across the divide.

Boris Johnson’s demise has been forecast many times in the last several months. Nothing has happened yet. I suspect he is safe until the May local elections.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

January 31, 2022

And the rest of Parliament if 40 of those Tory MPs decide not to support him and vote with the opposition.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    stodge said:

Also, I have a prejudice against parties which are just 'The [person name] party' or equivalent. Make an effort, throw in the words national, or democracy somewhere, or a one word concept like solidarity.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I watched too much of PMQs.

But putting aside the highlights - Keir, Blackford, May, and Bell - one observation is how generally ineffective Opposition MPs were.

Simply calling for Boris to resign doesn’t really do much. Of course Boris is not going to say, “You are right Nadia Whitthome, I will resign now.”

It would have been far more profitable to hammer at the bizarre inconsistencies both in the PM’s testimony so far, and indeed the process of inquiry.

Abbot had a creditable go, but there were only one or two others. Davey utterly sunk without trace, not sure what he was trying to do today.

Wera Hobhouse was a bit of a wtf moment too.
    Wera 'We should listen to health concerns about 5G' Hobhouse being a bit WTF, you say?
    I think the 5G criticisms are overdone.
    Oh, I suspect her position was just that a lot of local people were objecting and so she wanted to make sure she was on their side, it's what MPs generally do with planning applications after all as it is not their responsibility, and the official reasons for objecting would stick to actually defendable ones. But nevertheless a lot of the objections were nutty 5G ones and she either believed the same, or simply didn't want to upset people who did believe it, which to me amounts to about the same thing, intellectually and morally.

She was either being stupid or cowardly.

Her clarification shows she was probably being cowardly, as in 'There's no evidence it is unsafe, but please don't do it anyway just in case because my constituents think it is unsafe and I want their votes at some point'

Asked by the BBC to detail her concerns about health, Ms Hobhouse said she had spent time weighing up the available evidence and conceded that all the official guidance was that it was safe.

But she said that "given the widespread concern and conversations I have had with Bath residents who claim to be extra vulnerable, I believe it may be worth applying a precautionary principle on where masts are located whilst further studies are being undertaken".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-55399513
    That's even worse than just being plane stupid.
    A moronic Fokker...
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2022

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

January 31, 2022

And the rest of Parliament if 40 of those Tory MPs decide not to support him and vote with the opposition.
    That definitely won’t happen.

Not unless Boris is caught with a live boy or dead girl in his bed, and maybe not even then.

No, the Tory MPs need to be both disgusted with Boris (one senses they are) AND believe that replacing him will restore Tory fortunes. It’s the last bit we’re stuck on.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Red lines, hard brexit, increasingly clear that she was on a course to a minimal deal, I was meaning, really. She certainly wasn't very good at implementing all that she had set the scene for by continually gratifying the ERG, though.

Bad Analysis
    The crucial missing word is in the first sentence - May realised she needed a bigger majority to get *Hard* Brexit through in some form. Soft Brexit wouldn't have allowed her to stay on as Tory leader, so, despite being a much more diligent and sometimes honourable prime minister than Boris Johnson, it was much her now forgotten opportunism that led to Boris as anything else.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

January 31, 2022

Well, no.

I know, I was just sounding off.....

:neutral:
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

moonshine said:

Heathener said:

TMay populist agenda?

As ever, Brexit was the Pandora’s box that turned the country to shit.
    Disagree on a number of levels, but the bigger picture has to be clear.

It was an open wound, certainly present in politics since 2004 and starting to dominate since 2009. The war is lost but the battles are still being fought. Its been 6 years since the Referendum and we're still having Hiroo Onoda's dropping out of the forest.

The way to rescue this is, I think, actually quite simple.

Accept it.

If you want to rejoin, argue for that. Otherwise, seek to make the most of it and adapt to the new.

You think this is bad now? What will be many times worse is people using the "Boris gone, ah, so Brexit is a reopened debate". Christ.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,446
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I suspect

She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo

Would love to know what red meat is left to throw at people after 14 years of a Tory Government.
    Capital punishment referendum for nonces?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

January 31, 2022

That definitely won’t happen.

Not unless Boris is caught with a live boy or dead girl in his bed, and maybe not even then.

No, the Tory MPs need to be both disgusted with Boris (one senses they are) AND believe that replacing him will restore Tory fortunes. It’s the last bit we’re stuck on.
    Indeed, Sunak trailing Starmer as preferred PM tonight with RedfieldWilton is even more important for Boris than the slight cut he has made to Labour's lead
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis
    The crucial missing word is in the first sentence - May realised she needed a bigger majority to get *Hard* Brexit through in some form. Soft Brexit wouldn't have kept her in power, so, despite being a much more diligent and sometimes honourable prime minister than Boris Johnson, it was much her now forgotten opportunism that led to Boris as anything else.
    May was a Remainer and probably started by hoping for a soft Brexit.

However, her style (radio silence for months and months) allowed the hard right to position hard Brexit as the only true way, and she was too frit to stare them down.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,047
    HYUFD said:

Any party that makes the likes of Boris Johnson - or Donald Trump - its leader IS corrupt, by definition.

And any country that elects their like, such as the UK - or USA - and puts them into power is ipso facto a pack of fools.

EDIT - I point this out, mainly in derision of the "made us" in the chastened Tory MPs remark. Much like Joe Rogan "sorry if I pissed you off".

So that makes Italy which elected Berlusconi or France which elected Sarkozy and Fillon, all convicted criminals, corrupt too?
    Yes, and under your Conservative Party, the UK has joined them.
  • Options
    2024 will be 20 years after the Kilroy-Silk UKIP broke through in Euro elections.

Ain't nobody got time for refighting all of that.

"hold my pint ... "
  • Options
    edited January 2022

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis
    The crucial missing word is in the first sentence - May realised she needed a bigger majority to get *Hard* Brexit through in some form. Soft Brexit wouldn't have kept her in power, so, despite being a much more diligent and sometimes honourable prime minister than Boris Johnson, it was much her now forgotten opportunism that led to Boris as anything else.

However, her style (radio silence for months and months) allowed the hard right to position hard Brexit as the only true way, and she was too frit to stare them down.
    I agree, except it wasn't just silence. She increasingly positioned herself, explicitly, to the harder Brexit side, just to survive, from day to day. This short-term political survival instinct in one way antcipated Boris, but in other ways, as a committed Christian, for instance, she had, and clearly still has, some very , very different principles.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,047
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

Have you never visited France or Italy?
    Bit unfair. HYUFD was urging us to be patriotic post-Brexit - something along the lines of taking our dirty weekends in Swansea or Skegness or somewhere like that the other week. Maybe even Brighton for all I know.
    That brings back great memories of dirty weekends in Brighton with a Japanese lady.,,,
    Did you have kippers on the Brighton Belle?
    More likely to get kippers on the Clacton train.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

January 31, 2022

Well, no.

GUO :neutral:
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,533
    Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Starmer was excellent today. But today is not about the opposition. It’s about Tory MPs and what they stand for.

I very much hope so but I worry they’ve bottled it.

It feels like the Tory MPs are dejected and miserable about the whole thing, but that they haven’t got the guts to pull the trigger yet. I think some of them are still hoping against hope that he’ll fall on his sword without there having to be any of this nasty business. Which is obviously not going to happen.

I think some of them want to wait till May. Let Boris take the electoral hit.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    A stop clock is right once in a while and here Robert Peston has picked up something very important that would otherwise have been snuck through without thinking

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1488238736919904263

Robert Peston
    @Peston
    ·
    2m
    There is one massive unnoticed tension between what Tory MPs want from
    @BorisJohnson
    and what he announced today. His promised new Office of the Prime Minister, designed to improve management of the centre of government as per Gray’s analysis of what’s gone wrong, will…
    Robert Peston
    @Peston
    ·
    2m
    further weaken the cabinet and strengthen the executive, the PM. It will make the UK system even more presidential - and to that extent could weaken parliament too. Which is not what most MPs say is healthy. Wouldn’t it be paradoxical - haha - if Boris Johnson…
    Robert Peston
    @Peston
    ·
    2m
    emerged from this mess even more powerful.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,537

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

It feels like the Tory MPs are dejected and miserable about the whole thing, but that they haven’t got the guts to pull the trigger yet. I think some of them are still hoping against hope that he’ll fall on his sword without there having to be any of this nasty business. Which is obviously not going to happen.

Good news for Labour council candidates.

Terrible news for the country.
  • Options
    edited January 2022

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis
    The crucial missing word is in the first sentence - May realised she needed a bigger majority to get *Hard* Brexit through in some form. Soft Brexit wouldn't have allowed her to stay on as Tory leader, so, despite being a much more diligent and sometimes honourable prime minister than Boris Johnson, it was much her now forgotten opportunism that led to Boris as anything else.
    Hard and Soft Brexit is Remoaner language.

Both May and Boris were merely trying to get out of the EU which proved to be far more difficult than leaving a "democratic" institution should be.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

I agree, except it wasn't just silence. She increasingly positioned herself, explicitly, to the harder Brexit side, just to survive.
    Yes. Citizens of nowhere etc. She got high on the Daily Mail supply.
  • Options
    It seems the u-turn on publishing the full Gray arose when the PM belatedly realised he wouldn’t be able to whip his MPs to vote down an opposition motion insisting on publication
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis
    Disagree on first sentence. Agree with the end - the reality is that she was pretty much absent any grand strategy or vision to present over a 7+ week election campaign.

I think, given Cameron's narrow win followed by the narrow Brexit win, any Brexit in any form needed a solid GE win to reshuffle the tory benches and ensure something could be voted through.

If we go back to Cameron, which is fair, then we have to go back further and revisit several key points in the 00s.

This is a mess two decades - at least - in the making.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,930
    Watching Ch4 News it's easy to imagine him going and quickly. It was something from the Kindergarten. Quite embarrassing for all Tories and all Johnson supporters. He's a lump and a man child. Watching Ruth Davidson crying was quite shocking
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis
    Hard and Soft Brexit is Remoaner language.

Both May and Boris were merely trying to get out of the EU which proved to be far more difficult than leaving a "democratic" institution should be.
    Yes. Definitely with the second part of this.

Anyway, maybe we want a completely paralysed government ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

EITHER 54 letters announced tomorrow

OR I never vote tory again, unless my MP (G Cox, Con) has crossed the floor by close of business

Never been so disgusted

Peter Gibson (Darlington) has gone from Boris is a disgrace prior to today to time to move on to other (more important) matters.

I don't see 54 letters arriving anytime soon.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

January 31, 2022

Well, no.

GUO :neutral:
    don't know that abbreviation
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    Roger said:

Watching Ch4 News it's easy to imagine him going and quickly. It was something from the Kindergarten. Quite embarrassing for all Tories and all Johnson supporters. He's a lump and a man child. Watching Ruth Davidson crying was quite shocking

The clip
    https://twitter.com/channel4news/status/1488235127847243780?s=21
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Heathener said:

rpjs said:

IanB2 said:

Big Dog

IshmaelZ said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

I suspect

She goes to the press
    Ye
    Bo

We must be careful about this party-in-a-flat business. Sue Gray's report mentions a police investigation into "a gathering in the No 10 Downing Street flat" but Boris and Carrie live in the Number 11 flat. Presumably the Number 10 flat is unoccupied because iirc Rishi Sunak still lives in his old home.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Why lose many hundreds of councillors - your best foot-soldiers - whilst you dither until May?

JFDI.....
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,311

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

I agree, except it wasn't just silence. She increasingly positioned herself, explicitly, to the harder Brexit side, just to survive.
    The citizens of Nowhere was the second most disgraceful speech ever made by a British PM. I think today´s PMQs has set a new bar so low that even a limbo dancer will struggle.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,988
    eek said:

IshmaelZ said:

OR I never vote tory again, unless my MP (G Cox, Con) has crossed the floor by close of business

Never been so disgusted

Peter Gibson (Darlington) has gone from Boris is a disgrace prior to today to time to move on to other (more important) matters.

I don't see 54 letters arriving anytime soon.
    I certainly won't be voting conservative again as long as this shower of sh*t remains in charge.

And if the rest of the party don't have the balls to defenestrate him, it makes it hard for me to vote for any of them either. For similar reasons I remain cautious about Labour, considering they allowed the sh*t show that was Corbyn for years.
  • Options
    Labour quick off the mark. I'm not a member but a simple email saying the country needs to change. Who can disagree so I sent them £25
  • Options
    Cicero said:

JBriskin3 said:

Good Analysis

Bad Analysis

The citizens of Nowhere was the second most disgraceful speech ever made by a British PM. I think today´s PMQs has set a new bar so low that even a limbo dancer will struggle.
    Yes, absolutely correct.

It was the moment I knew I was no longer welcome in the UK. Many of my friends (often expats) felt the same.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Never been so disgusted

Is he back from the Virgin Isles yet?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Why lose many hundreds of councillors - your best foot-soldiers - whilst you dither until May?

JFDI.....
    Because the new leader doesn't want to kick off with some heavy electoral losses?

Difficult, I agree Mark, but there is a case for letting BJ take all the flak.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

JFDI.....
    Because the new leader doesn't want to kick off with some heavy electoral losses?

Depends if Rishi is installed by May. New broom and all that.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,955
    edited January 2022
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Between Boris Johnson's performance today and that poll finding I have lost faith in my country.

Take my advice.

Emigrate.
    Tempted to move to France, Canada, or Australia.
    Well, you can knock Canada off the list - that's where the Hawaiian pizza was invented.
    If you think our winters are cold and dark, try Canada's
    Vancouver isn't cold. Nor is populated Canada darker. It's much further south than us.
    Most Canadians live south of Seattle. One of my favourite facts.
    Winnipeg has over 600,000 people and is -6 Celsius today. Edmonton has over 1 million people and is -15 degrees Celsius today.

Parts of populated Canada certainly do get very cold in winter
    Nevertheless you also said “dark”. Sunset in Winnipeg today will be, in local time, a whole half hour later than mine - and I have one of the longest winter daylight spans in the UK.
    Edmonton, population over 1 million, is north of us and therefore darker than us in winter too as well as colder
    Edmonton is 53.56°N.
    That's a lot more south than me.
    There's a reason the Glaswegians are revolting:

Just about everywhere in the US is less cloudy than the UK, although I suspect the map is not picking up specific areas such as the Olympics west of Seattle. Most of Canada too.

You have to go somewhere like Kerguelen in the Southern Ocean to get significantly worse.

I expect there is a satellite derived map somewhere but I haven't found it.

(There's a version with a scale but it is a bit big to post inline)
    https://external-preview.redd.it/OHaEsE5gvooo7czRlTObIht4NSUrvxU1rxSebiz4mGw.png?auto=webp&s=306df060fd5ffc6db94e5cfcb5977cc89f87c8d8
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Liz Truss saving that Covid isolation for when it *really* matters to avoid the media round.

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/1488243196509495299?s=21
  • Options
    edited January 2022

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

JFDI.....

He will take it anyway. New leader will simply say, 'we are suffering a deserved punishment for the incompetence and criminality of the former leader. The British people are angry, and understandably so. It is now up to us to work hard on the cost of living crisis, the lack of investment in the north and the antiquated governmental system that doesn't meet the needs of the people to regain their trust.'
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Never been so disgusted

Is he back from the Virgin Isles yet?
    Hard to know in these days of internettery
  • Options
    My twitter's hinting that Nadine was drunk for her media stint.

Does Ms/(Mrs?) Davidson have the same excuse?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Polruan said:

Liz Truss saving that Covid isolation for when it *really* matters to avoid the media round.

Lol that is epic handy timing.
  • Options

Polruan said:

Clear evidence of her lateral thinking.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,201
    Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Nowhere near. There will be 30 odd. You are confusing the PCP for vertebrates. Schoolboy error.
  • Options
    Polruan said:

Genius move being maskless in HoC today then

Profoundly silly woman
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Roger said:

The clip
    It's a killer clip.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022

Polruan said:

Saves her having to use dental treatment as an excuse.
  • Options
    Roger said:

moonshine said:

Roger said:

The clip
    It's a killer clip.
    Search twitter for "pissed" this evening and you get a Nadine interview
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797
    IshmaelZ said:

Never been so disgusted

Never say never... I said I would never vote Labour after Iraq, but I have forgiven them that now that
    1. A long time has passed
    2. Their leader apologised specifically for it and meant it
    3. The Conservatives have become just so fucking terrible
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022

Andy_JS said:

Jonathan said:

Nowhere near. There will be 30 odd. You are confusing the PCP for vertebrates. Schoolboy error.
    Gary Gibbon on C4 News, whom I rate on these matters, reckons the numbers are there, but they’re split on whether to break cover now, or later.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

January 31, 2022

Weren't you saying similar about keeping Owen Patterson as an MP ?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Labour quick off the mark. I'm not a member but a simple email saying the country needs to change. Who can disagree so I sent them £25

Dig deep Comrades. Need to stave of impending financial Armageddon.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Never been so disgusted

Never say never... I said I would never vote Labour after Iraq, but I have forgiven them that now that
    1. A long time has passed
    2. Their leader apologised specifically for it and meant it
    3. The Conservatives have become just so fucking terrible
    Not so young then...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,952
    Polruan said:

Hasn't anyone told her that ita all over?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Polruan said:

Hasn't anyone told her that ita all over?
    We're due Harry and Pippa tonight.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Applicant said:

Between Boris Johnson's performance today and that poll finding I have lost faith in my country.

Take my advice.

Emigrate.
    Tempted to move to France, Canada, or Australia.
    Well, you can knock Canada off the list - that's where the Hawaiian pizza was invented.
    If you think our winters are cold and dark, try Canada's
    Vancouver isn't cold. Nor is populated Canada darker. It's much further south than us.
    Most Canadians live south of Seattle. One of my favourite facts.
    Winnipeg has over 600,000 people and is -6 Celsius today. Edmonton has over 1 million people and is -15 degrees Celsius today.

Parts of populated Canada certainly do get very cold in winter
    Nevertheless you also said “dark”. Sunset in Winnipeg today will be, in local time, a whole half hour later than mine - and I have one of the longest winter daylight spans in the UK.
    Edmonton, population over 1 million, is north of us and therefore darker than us in winter too as well as colder
    Edmonton is 53.56°N.
    That's a lot more south than me.
    There's a reason the Glaswegians are revolting:

Just about everywhere in the US is less cloudy than the UK, although I suspect the map is not picking up specific areas such as the Olympics west of Seattle. Most of Canada too.

You have to go somewhere like Kerguelen in the Southern Ocean to get significantly worse.

I expect there is a satellite derived map somewhere but I haven't found it.

(There's a version with a scale but it is a bit big to post inline)
    https://external-preview.redd.it/OHaEsE5gvooo7czRlTObIht4NSUrvxU1rxSebiz4mGw.png?auto=webp&s=306df060fd5ffc6db94e5cfcb5977cc89f87c8d8
    Interesting that holland and Germany, quite some way south, are an island of cloudiness, yet (despite mountains generally helping to form clouds) you wouldn’t know that the alps are there from that map
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Never been so disgusted

I think he's a dead man walking but I'm not sure why they keep saying we've all been made to look like idiots. Those who voted for him particularly the red wallers have always looked like idiots to me but I don't see that the fact of him ignoring his own rules should make those of us who didn't feel like idiots.
  • Options

Polruan said:

Covid is 21st century toothache
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797
    Nadine Dorries is clearly an idiot, but she didn't seem drunk to me. Not at all. Playing a bad hand badly, and seemingly surly and defensive. But not drunk.
This discussion has been closed.