Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Some of the CON seats that could fall on a 10% swing to the LDs – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

On topic...

(And ignoring boundary changes for the moment)

I think the LDs stand an excellent chance in:

- Cheltenham
    - Winchester
    - Cambridgeshire South
    - Esher & Walton
    and
    - Guilford

They stand a decent chance in:
    - Eastbourne
    - Lewes

I don't rate their chances in Dunbartonshire East, Wimbledon*, Carshalton & Wallington or Sheffield Hallam.

* I reserve the right to reassess this prediction following the London locals this year.

I agree about Sheffield Hallam and that's almost certain to turn in to a 'safish' medium term Labour seat now.

I can't see how the Tories don't lose Wimbledon (most likely to the LDs). There is almost the same probability of Labour gaining it from 3rd as there is of the Tories holding on on a 3 way split.

Carshalton and Wallington is harder to predict as I don't what effect Tom Brake's own popularity/local issues had on the result but it would only take a small amount of Lab>LD and Tories staying at home to flip it back even with a new candidate.

Cheadle is another extremely likely LD prospect and the LDs will be gutted not to gain that.
  • Options
    ASoprano said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Starting to think that the political choices the Conservative Party made in 2019 weren’t necessarily all that wise and may cause some problems for them and the country over the medium term.
    https://twitter.com/DavidGauke/status/1472303576424890370

Still beat Corbyn and got Brexit done
    Roger said:

That's extraordinarily disappointing if true.

I have more faith in Frost than Boris.
    Boris pays your wages.....
    I respected the liberal Boris who was prepared to stand up to the EU and who was instinctively opposed to restrictions unless absolutely necessary.

Not this pissweak, pathetic, preposterous pansy of a politician he has become.

He's a failure now trashing his own legacy. He needs to go NOW. And whoever replaces him should give Frost his job back.

I am disgusted with Boris now.
    Robot boy says no to Boris.
    Welcome sensible new poster!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Sunak's problem is that he dicked around not giving hospitality support.

If he resigns he still hasn't given them any support. So whilst he would probably become leader he might be toxic to a big chunk of the electorate.

I think Rishi would simply reopen the country with no restrictions. People are voluntarily locking themselves in to avoid having to isolate over Xmas, not because they're scared of getting Omicron.
    From what I've seen so far this weekend the voluntary restrictions haven't reached Yorkshire yet.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited December 2021
    Heathener said:

If we are locked down again to “save the NHS”, don’t expect me to clap for them.

I never did in the first place. Not because I don't appreciate the NHS and its workers. Mainly because it occurred at eight, at exactly the moment our son should be trying to get to sleep . It kept on waking him up in the first few weeks when it was really noisy ...
    Actually I think you can support the NHS and love what it stands for without feeling compelled to stand outside and clap.
    A lot of my colleagues including myself found it a tad mawkish after the first few days of it.

My next door neighbours were out every evening exuberantly clanging together their pots and pans, meanwhile breaking lockdown restrictions during the day...
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,261
    One of my friends is severely, anaphalactically, allergic to one of the constituents in the vaccines ('ingredients' didn't seem like the right word). I point out that I only have her word for this but she's not someone I would distrust.

Not everyone who is unvaccinated is obstreperous.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Starting to think that the political choices the Conservative Party made in 2019 weren’t necessarily all that wise and may cause some problems for them and the country over the medium term.

Roger said:

I respected the liberal Boris who was prepared to stand up to the EU and who was instinctively opposed to restrictions unless absolutely necessary.

He's a failure now trashing his own legacy. He needs to go NOW. And whoever replaces him should give Frost his job back.

If Boris introduces another lockdown I fear Farage may return to reclaim voters Boris won back for the Tories in 2019
  • Options
    Hastings and Rye surely?

And Kensington back to Labour?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Earlier today I was planning to lay Sunak.

Leaving the market well alone now!

Don't blame you. He is rather sexy...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

If he resigns he still hasn't given them any support. So whilst he would probably become leader he might be toxic to a big chunk of the electorate.

I think Rishi would simply reopen the country with no restrictions. People are voluntarily locking themselves in to avoid having to isolate over Xmas, not because they're scared of getting Omicron.
    From what I've seen so far this weekend the voluntary restrictions haven't reached Yorkshire yet.
    Newcastle City Centre packed today so I'm told
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Yes but hospitality is bleeding out right now. Every day is another swathe of hospitality closing for good and owners/employees furious with the government.

There's nothing stopping people going out to eat right now but people aren't.

The biggest 2 weeks of the year and hospitality is dead on its arse.
    Took my older daughter to Camden Market today. The main market was rammed, surprisingly, but then we discovered the new Food Court in the new market - Hawley Wharf.

It's two floors of the best street food. Absolutely delicious. And it was near-empty. That was lovely for us, but I felt so sorry for the vendors and stall holders. They are pumping out magnificent food in a great new space and they've opened at probably the worst time in history

I pray it survives the Late Unpleasantness, and I recommend it to any PB-ers

https://www.camdenmarket.com/hawleywharf/
    That looks great. Will check it out after I'm out of isolation!
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Heathener said:

If we are locked down again to “save the NHS”, don’t expect me to clap for them.

I never did in the first place. Not because I don't appreciate the NHS and its workers. Mainly because it occurred at eight, at exactly the moment our son should be trying to get to sleep . It kept on waking him up in the first few weeks when it was really noisy ...
    Actually I think you can support the NHS and love what it stands for without feeling compelled to stand outside and clap.
    A lot of my colleagues including myself found it a tad mawkish after the first few days of it.

My next door neighbours were out every evening exuberantly clanging together his pots and pans, meanwhile breaking lockdown restrictions during the day...
    Clapping was a pathetic gesture, when it came to money and paying staff properly, nobody was doing anything then.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,151

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Yes but hospitality is bleeding out right now. Every day is another swathe of hospitality closing for good and owners/employees furious with the government.

Took my older daughter to Camden Market today. The main market was rammed, surprisingly, but then we discovered the new Food Court in the new market - Hawley Wharf.

It's two floors of the best street food. Absolutely delicious. And it was near-empty. That was lovely for us, but I felt so sorry for the vendors and stall holders. They are pumping out magnificent food in a great new space and they've opened at probably the worst time in history

I too visit imaginary places with my imaginary children
    lol. Do you actually think I'm making this up?

As in, are you imagining that I'm am imaginary person with imaginary kids?

That's quite meta. Perhaps we are all just ghosts that flit through Mike Smithson's sleeping brain
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

That's quite meta. Perhaps we are all just ghosts that flit through Mike Smithson's sleeping brain
    Well you make up everything else about yourself so why not this
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610

Johnson isn't liberal, ffs he's not anything. He has no principles or ideology at all, how do people still not understand this

The one thing he's got going for him is that he tries to be cheerful and optimistic whenever possible. I can't think of anyone in the Labour Party who tries to do that. But it's one of the main reasons why Tony Blair was so successful in 1997, 2001 and 2005.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,261
    jonny83 said:

Heathener said:

My next door neighbours were out every evening exuberantly clanging together his pots and pans, meanwhile breaking lockdown restrictions during the day...
    Yes I have to be honest I did feel that it had the vaguest whiff of authoritarianism about it. The kind of freedom-deprivations that some on the right complain about.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Glad there will be no more Frost this winter

Total failure
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Johnson isn't liberal, ffs he's not anything. He has no principles or ideology at all, how do people still not understand this

The one thing he's got going for him is that he tries to be cheerful and optimistic whenever possible. I can't think of anyone in the Labour Party who tries to do that. But it's one of the main reasons why Tony Blair was so successful in 1997, 2001 and 2005.
    I completely agree about that - although I don't think Blair was always cheerful, just always charismatic - but that doesn't change the fact that Johnson has no principles
  • Options

Glad there will be no more Frost this winter

Total failure

You voting SWP now John?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    Sky News report on SAGE suggestions....

https://youtu.be/_EJHlfF5ep0

Be interesting to see if this kind of reporting will see a shift in public support for lockdown measures, as it is presented as the only option.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

I ate then when in London. We had some absolutely superb food.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534
    Three questions:

Which cabinet ministers are not on this very day reflecting about the timing of a principled resignation.

Can Boris be allowed to go before there is a high level of agreement as to who replaces him.

Is the real meaning of Frost's resignation that his approach to Brexit is in fact undeliverable both politically and practically, and that there will be the opportunity for a reset.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

It's swish and fun - it just needs more people.

We had shrimp burgers and brilliant fish tacos and pulled pork thingies and I had some lovely Carmenere wine, there was a DJ with some Ibizan vibes, it's rather chilled and cool. Open Weds-Sunday I think

Camden Market in general is now a great place to go and eat and drink yourself stupid. Less tat, more taste. The variety is incredible

If the London economy ever recovers Camden and its new market will surge
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Three questions:

Which cabinet ministers are not on this very day reflecting about the timing of a principled resignation.

Can Boris be allowed to go before there is a high level of agreement as to who replaces him.

Is the real meaning of Frost's resignation that his approach to Brexit is in fact undeliverable both politically and practically, and that there will be the opportunity for a reset.

Hope you're well.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,943
    It really is starting to feel like Christmas :)
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

We had shrimp burgers and brilliant fish tacos and pulled pork thingies and I had some lovely Carmenere wine, there was a DJ with some Ibizan vibes, it's rather chilled and cool. Open Weds-Sunday I think

Camden Market in general is now a great place to go and eat and drink yourself stupid. Less tat, more taste. The variety is incredible

Bloody gentrification....
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534

jonny83 said:

Heathener said:

Clapping was a pathetic gesture, when it came to money and paying staff properly, nobody was doing anything then.
    The taxpayer already puts a few bob into the NHS. Can you put a figure on how much more is needed to both have enough staff and pay them properly?

• Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    edited December 2021
    Heathener said:

One of my friends is severely, anaphalactically, allergic to one of the constituents in the vaccines ('ingredients' didn't seem like the right word). I point out that I only have her word for this but she's not someone I would distrust.

I believe that almost all of us are aware that legitimate medical exemptions exist, and one can sympathise with them as individuals finding themselves in a difficult and dangerous situation - but there aren't enough of them to make a big difference on a population scale.

The rest of the refusers, on the other hand, make up something like one in ten of the adult population. Even accounting for the fact that a decent fraction of those will already have had one of the previous Covid strains, that still leaves a very large reservoir of potential hospital wrecking gaspers awaiting infection. Not helpful.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

That sounds like exactly the kind of place for me, a bit like Mercato Metropolitano in Borough, just the proper side of the river.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,603

rcs1000 said:

On topic...

- Cheltenham
    - Winchester
    - Cambridgeshire South
    - Esher & Walton
    and
    - Guilford

- Eastbourne
    - Lewes

I don't rate their chances in Dunbartonshire East, Wimbledon*, Carshalton & Wallington or Sheffield Hallam.

* I reserve the right to reassess this prediction following the London locals this year.

I agree about Sheffield Hallam and that's almost certain to turn in to a 'safish' medium term Labour seat now.

I can't see how the Tories don't lose Wimbledon (most likely to the LDs). There is almost the same probability of Labour gaining it from 3rd as there is of the Tories holding on on a 3 way split.

Carshalton and Wallington is harder to predict as I don't what effect Tom Brake's own popularity/local issues had on the result but it would only take a small amount of Lab>LD and Tories staying at home to flip it back even with a new candidate.

Cheadle is another extremely likely LD prospect and the LDs will be gutted not to gain that.
    The new candidate for Carshalton and Wallington is Bobby Dean, a young and very energetic politician with a huge amount of ambition. He was a council candidate here in Lewisham and lived in Brockley for years, and I’ve gone canvassing with him several times. He will work extremely hard to win the seat. I think he has as good a chance as anyone, and would be a great addition to parliament. Unusually for the Lib Dems he is proper WWC, a boxer and a bit of a geezer. Worth a punt.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

By startling coincidence, have a fish taco in my own humble icebox.

Though sadly reckon it is NOT up to your cosmopolitan, high-rent and high-falutin standards!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

The idea that you could be a construct is plainly ridiculous.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Street Food Courts are such a superb idea. You can sample six different cuisines but all sit at the same table. Then get brilliant Italian puds or Javan coffee or Filipino sorbets

Plus fine wines and craft beers from all over. And you pay way less than some posh restaurant or gastropub where, to be frank, the food is often worse

Hawley Wharf just needs an oyster shucker, then it's perfect
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628
    pigeon said:

Heathener said:

I believe that almost all of us are aware that legitimate medical exemptions exist, and one can sympathise with them as individuals finding themselves in a difficult and dangerous situation - but there aren't enough of them to make a big difference on a population scale.

The rest of the refusers, on the other hand, make up something like one in ten of the adult population. That's a very large reservoir of potential hospital wrecking gaspers awaiting infection. Not helpful.
    They also put at more risk those who can't take the vaccine for legitimate reasons.
  • Options
    ASopranoASoprano Posts: 42
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Given you could pick literally anything to imagine or write, why would you play yourself as a boring reactionary who humours the likes of Philip Thompson? Surely you can imagine something slightly more interesting than a persona toying with a bunch of autistic nerd bots? What a waste.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    stodge said:

To win Wantage, I think you'd need to see the Conservative vote share down to 40% or less and the Labour vote squeezed down to sub 10% - conceivable?

Very conceivable. The LibDems are in power at district and county level. The local party is strong and well organised. The incumbent Tory is a non-entity. Assuming there isn’t another Swinsonpocalypse, I think Wantage is very likely to flip.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Leon said:

Sounds a bit like Goods Way at Kings Cross - Mrs Stodge and I are big fans of The Duck Truck.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

That sounds like exactly the kind of place for me, a bit like Mercato Metropolitano in Borough, just the proper side of the river.
    Yes, that's precisely what it is. Only more convenient, and on a bigger scale because it's got the original Camden Market right next to it (which has by itself now got some fab food offerings)

All it needs is the buzz. Hopefully that will come in the spring
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720

rcs1000 said:

On topic...

- Cheltenham
    - Winchester
    - Cambridgeshire South
    - Esher & Walton
    and
    - Guilford

- Eastbourne
    - Lewes

*Guildford
    They will have a good chance in East Dunbartonshire with a better candidate than Swinson.
    Not hard. She was IIRC keen in fracking (funded by a fracking firm?) which is never a good idea for a MP in the Coal Measures of the Midland Valley. I really did wonder about her mental acuity. But that didn't for some reason attract much attention more generally as a likely factor in her ouster.

https://www.glasgowworld.com/news/politics/east-dunbartonshire-mp-jo-swinson-in-fracking-row-2034446
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,901
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Same - then a wander down the canal and up Primrose hill. Glorious autumn weather.
  • Options
    Frost-ie the No-Man!
    Wasn't having any fun!
    Then he saw his chance!
    To save his icy arse!
    By kicking BoJo in the bum!

(pretty feeble, so someone else willing to give it a go?)
  • Options
    We’re going to end up with Theresa May’s Brexit deal
    https://twitter.com/steve_hawkes/status/1472311745519759366
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    pigeon said:

HYUFD said:

New polling for the Sunday Times finds 60% of voters oppose a ban on households mixing at Christmas and 58% oppose closing pubs and restaurants.
    https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1472274950237175819?s=20

However most voters do back negative tests and vaxports for hospitality venues

Interesting.

Basically, a strong majority is in favour of further restrictions on those who choose to be unvaccinated, while also being strongly against further restrictions on those got vaccinated just as they were told to.

There is a political dividend there in plain sight, for either the Government or Labour, depending on which is the first to dare to take on the increasingly small minority of self-indulgent idiots who still choose to remain unvaccinated. Those of us who have done the right thing have run out of patience with them.
    Which is vaxxports, basically - no anti vaxxers allowed in pubs, stadia, shops, transport etc - would be tough to enforce, but I would like to see it happen if it means keeping more things open for the rest of us

One exception should be allowed - Piers should be forced to spend Xmas with Jeremy
    The hardcore heel diggers aren't going to be put off by not being allowed into theatres and nightclubs - and, as you say, it would be a total pain in the arse for businesses to enforce. Some of the stubborn fucks won't take at all kindly to being told to naff off when they try to get into their local boozer, for example.

Vaccine certification will only work if it's tied to the ability to remain in employment or access social security, and neither this Government nor any likely alternative will apply that stick.
    Same was said about banning smoking in pubs - seems to have landed ok though.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

Well never fear, if we do go to another lockdown at least we can speculate on the earth shattering prospect of Cheltenham and Guildford going LD at the next general election to keep us going through the dark nights alone

That post is going to look a lot less droll, when it happens. You just have no idea how irrevocably you lot have lost the shire tory vote. I can promise you NS was not all about a moment's pique over a Christmas party or two.
    We haven't, the rural Tory vote will be back at the next general election if the Tories do not push though more and more lockdowns (in which case it would go RefUK) this was a protest vote over partygate. Though the suburban and commuter belt Tory vote will be more of a challenge.
    "People say Peter Mandelson is only interested in politics, but that overstates the breadth of his interests. He is only interested in Labour party poilitics."

"People say HYUFD is only interested in Tory party politics, but that overstates the breadth of his interests. He is only interested in Epping Forest Tory party poilitics."

I can absolutely 100% guarantee you the rural tory vote won't be back. It will vote LD or stay home.
    That is rubbish, if that was the case the LDs would be polling 30%+ in general election polls not just 10% and the Tories would be polling under 20%.

North Shropshire was a by election protest vote that is it. If the LDs do gain Tory seats at the next general election they will be in mainly Remain voting parts of London and cities and towns in the South as OGH's chart shows not in Leave voting rural areas
    How about Chesham and Amersham?
    Chesham and Amersham is far more likely to stay LD at the next general election than North Shropshire and has a bigger LD majority too
    Was THAT also a protest vote?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

And yet it's a popular conspiracy theory.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/conspiracy-theory-internet-died

I suppose you could formulate it the same way as Nick Bostrom's simulation argument, i.e. there are a finite number of people but a theoretical infinite number of bots, as bots proliferate (and become more advanced in their responses) there is an ever increasing chance you are talking to a bot, until you eventually reach a singularity where every interaction you have on the web is with a bot.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    algarkirk said:

jonny83 said:

Heathener said:

The taxpayer already puts a few bob into the NHS. Can you put a figure on how much more is needed to both have enough staff and pay them properly?

1% Pay Rise, 1.25% rise in National Insurance...

The right hand giveth; the left hand taketh away.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited December 2021
    Heathener said:

Are there ingredients common to all of the vaccines? I thought each was a bit different.
  • Options
    Why did you resign? Well, I didn’t like the idea of the government investing in the technologies that are sweeping the globe in a bid to maintain a habitable biosphere. That, and I wanted to cut taxes and start a trade war in the middle of a pandemic.
    https://twitter.com/James_BG/status/1472312147648696321
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10324429/Brexit-minister-Lord-Frost-walks-Boris.html
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I had assumed that if Boris had a stringnof ministerial resignations and was VONC'd he'd resign before the vote.

But what if he doesn't, and instead hangs on for the vote. What is the time frame between letters going in and the vote?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Leon said:

Sounds a bit like Goods Way at Kings Cross - Mrs Stodge and I are big fans of The Duck Truck.
    It's a bit like that, but maybe better at what it delivers, I reckon - in terms of street food. More choice, more concentrated

However as a whole I adore the King's Cross Redevelopment. Coal Drops Yard is magnificent. King's X is one of the greatest triumphs of 21st century urbanism
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

I suppose you could formulate it the same way as Nick Bostrom's simulation argument, i.e. there are a finite number of people but a theoretical infinite number of bots, as bots proliferate (and become more advanced in their responses) there is an ever increasing chance you are talking to a bot, until you eventually reach a singularity where every interaction you have on the web is with a bot.
    Bostrom is an overrated wanker, and the theory you attribute to him does not originate with him
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Frost leaving under the shroud of Covid is rather disingenuous to Johnson.

My assertion is he has gone because he realised however hard he tries to bang the square peg into the round hole that is Northern Ireland it won't fit. And now the penny has dropped...

He now realises Brexit will cost the UK sqillions and leave our international reputation in tatters

Being tethered to a donkey for five years was bad enough. Going down in history as the the man who wrecked the country was something he'd rather leave to the donkey
  • Options
    rpjs said:

algarkirk said:

Three questions:

The problem is that there is no version of Brexit that is deliverable, either politically or practically, other than the minimum-possible Brexit of remaining in the EEA and CU. However, that remains anathema to most of the Tory party, so this will go on and on until something breaks, which sadly is most likely to be the British economy.
    And if we're going to do that (given that EEA/CU means fairly free movement), we might as well be broadly in. Switzerland and Norway don't have many votes, so giving up their political input is a small cost, which isn't the case for the UK.

However, there are more children for this revolution to devour yet...
  • Options
    rpjs said:

algarkirk said:

Three questions:

The problem is that there is no version of Brexit that is deliverable, either politically or practically, other than the minimum-possible Brexit of remaining in the EEA and CU. However, that remains anathema to most of the Tory party, so this will go on and on until something breaks, which sadly is most likely to be the British economy.
    Absolutely there's a version that is deliverable. What we have now plus Article 16. It was perfect and Frost could deliver it.

But given what a pathetic, quivering wreck of a loser Boris has become on Covid, perhaps he's also bottled it on that too?

Weak. Weak. Weak.
  • Options
    If true I can’t say I’m sorry. He was unsuited to the “doing of politics”, never understood the need for personal rapport or the importance of trust. I hope whoever takes over will be from the Commons where we can all question directly.
    https://twitter.com/Simon4NDorset/status/1472313829677752321
    https://twitter.com/bbcbreaking/status/1472308921268330501
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited December 2021
    Cyclefree said:

Well. Am in pub. Live music from a great band. Plenty of people here if not rammed. The atmosphere is wonderful.

Christ! Life is for living. Not cowering. Understand that others may take a different view. But I want to feel ALIVE! I want to bop and dance with a living breathing warm body and smile and laugh and flirt and just be with people.

And yes I have had a drink or two - a very nice Pasion Bobal.

I've just come back from singing in a major concert in Burton.

The conductor said at the end of rehearsal 'we may well only have seven people in the audience, but it will be worth it to sing again.'

Place was full...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174

Remember the three Labour MPs defecting to the Tories, lol

Maybe one of them could replace Frost.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Judging by your avitar, you're the cutest darn bot I've ever seen!
  • Options
    Roger said:

My assertion is he has gone because he realised however hard he tries to bang the square peg into the round hole that is Northern Ireland it won't fit. And now the penny has dropped...

He now realises Brexit will cost the UK sqillions and leave our international reputation in tatters

Being tethered to a donkey for five years was bad enough. Going down in history as the the man who wrecked the country was something he'd rather leave to the donkey
    Although it is quite impressive one donkey disentangling himself from another donkey unaided.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945
    IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Bostrom is an overrated wanker, and the theory you attribute to him does not originate with him
    I'm just suggesting that the same logic could be applied to the above conspiracy theory. Finite "real people", (near) infinite computing power creating a (near) infinite amount of bots. Therefore your odds of communicating with a real person online become (near) infinity to one against.

While I don't think that holds true for PB, I could actually easily see a situation when, say GPT-4 comes out in a few years time and twitter is overrun by bots that you can't tell them apart from real people. Heck, we know it's got a bot problem now.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,292
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Roger said:

If Boris introduces another lockdown I fear Farage may return to reclaim voters Boris won back for the Tories in 2019
    The problem as I see it is there are 100 plus conservative mps, and now Frost , who seem to be morphing into the Republican party and absolutely not on the side of British opinion

The irony is that Boris is more in tune with the public on covid and green issues than the conservative party and unless they get a grip, they are heading into years in the wilderness and handing the country over to a fiscally incoherent labour party

I only hope that in all this the lib dems do very well in 24, and are able to act as a brake on an uncontrolled labour party for all our sakes as labour will run out of money no matter how much they tax the rich

Just a few short weeks ago Boris was ahead in the polls and ratings but look at him now

An utterly astonishing act of political self harm
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Well. Am in pub. Live music from a great band. Plenty of people here if not rammed. The atmosphere is wonderful.

Christ! Life is for living. Not cowering. Understand that others may take a different view. But I want to feel ALIVE! I want to bop and dance with a living breathing warm body and smile and laugh and flirt and just be with people.

The conductor said at the end of rehearsal 'we may well only have seven people in the audience, but it will be worth it to sing again.'

Place was full...
    Unfortunately my choir cancelled its Christmas concert due tomorrow.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The late great Ronnie Barker's Mastermind skit contained this one:

'What's the difference between a donkey and an ass?'

'One's a trades unionist, the other's a member of the Cabinet.'
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Ask the band to play "Ghostriders in the Sky"? And whatever they play, make sure to shake yer booty!
  • Options
    If one of the most influential figures within the Government doesn’t like its political direction, where does that leave the rest of us?
    https://twitter.com/DavidGauke/status/1472315883620114437

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,275
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Which of course is based on Florence’s real Mercato Centrale
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited December 2021
    glw said:

Heathener said:

One of the reasons, and there are many, why anti-vaxxers piss me off is that they are making life very difficult for people who are genuinely unable to be vaccinated. There are a lot of people out there who have to rely on the rest of us doing the right thing. And given that the right thing is free, simple, essentially painless, widely available, and may even save our own lives, it is infuriating that so many people still have not availed themselves of a first dose never mind the booster.
    The twerps that claim they're exempt or wearing a sunflower lanyard when they simply don't fancy wearing a mask are just as bad. If you don't want to wear a mask, just don't wear a mask.
    Using the "I'm exempt" line really fucks it up for the (very small) number of people that genuinely can't wear one.

I'm hoping that's a twitter only phenomenon tbh
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Roger said:

The problem as I see it is there are 100 plus conservative mps, and now Frost , who seem to be morphing into the Republican party and absolutely not on the side of British opinion

The irony is that Boris is more in tune with the public on covid and green issues than the conservative party and unless they get a grip, they are heading into years in the wilderness and handing the country over to a fiscally incoherent labour party

I only hope that in all this the lib dems do very well in 24, and are able to act as a brake on an uncontrolled labour party for all our sakes as labour will run out of money no matter how much they tax the rich

Just a few shorts weeks ago Boris was ahead in the polls and ratings but look at him now

Trashing the economy and destroying businesses and education via restrictions is the last thing the party should be doing. The hundred backbenchers and Frost are 100% right and if Boris wants to lead the party further down this path the party needs to either oust him or frankly deserve to lose the next election and good riddance then too!
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Same - then a wander down the canal and up Primrose hill. Glorious autumn weather.
    If you can avoid the opinion pollsters, it’s a nice spot. You can almost forget that you are just a stone’s throw from the dump of Camden Town
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    I see that the Home Secretary has tweeted.

'The Piers Corbyn video is sickening.

I back the police to take the strongest possible action against him.'

Is this expectation management?

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Frosty the Go Man.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Frosty has resigned, lol so much for in Frost we trust

Thoughts with Phil T.
    Is that the replacement? Bold.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Place was full...
    You found culture in Burton?!

(I worked there for six years, spending the week there on a narrowboat, returning to Oxfordshire at weekends. It never grew on me. The Coopers is a treasure, though.)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Roger said:

Just a few short weeks ago Boris was ahead in the polls and ratings but look at him now

Polls show most voters do not want another lockdown
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1471973492472131587?s=20
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Roger said:

Just a few shorts weeks ago Boris was ahead in the polls and ratings but look at him now

Trashing the economy and destroying businesses and education via restrictions is the last thing the party should be doing. The hundred backbenchers and Frost are 100% right and if Boris wants to lead the party further down this path the party needs to either oust him or frankly deserve to lose the next election and good riddance then too!
    The problem with that is there are over 200 conservative mps who do understand the public and do not agree with the 100 so the conservative party is going to have to find a unity candidate and in the absence of one Boris will remain in place which neither of us want, you because of restrictions, me because he has brought the party into disrepute
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Place was full...
    You found culture in Burton?!

(I worked there for six years, spending the week there on a narrowboat, returning to Oxfordshire at weekends. It never grew on me. The Coopers is a treasure, though.)
    Hey, I live in Cannock...
  • Options
    To me it seems quite intuitive how to vote in a certain constituency.

I'm not going to vote Labour in Winchester
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    edited December 2021

Frost-ie the No-Man!
    Wasn't having any fun!
    Then he saw his chance!
    To save his icy arse!
    By kicking BoJo in the bum!

(pretty feeble, so someone else willing to give it a go?)

Elegy for the Dear Leader

Poor Lord Frost, his cause was lost
    Undone by Irish borders
    Resign did he, over plan B
    And Covid passport orders

Those claims fooled not one PB'er
    We're neither deaf nor blind
    An exit due to Brexit
    Has left Boris in a bind

Tragic PM, friendless
    As he seeks to tame a plague
    Whilst colleagues fear a GE worse
    Than under William Hague

The situation's hardly helped
    By Lib Dem victories
    Brought on by sheer incompetence
    And Christmas party sleaze

Alas for our poor leader
    His career seems a dead loss
    And he must know, such a low blow
    That no-one gives a toss
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810
    It's a genius negotiating gambit.

You mark my words.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

To me it seems quite intuitive how to vote in a certain constituency.

I'm not going to vote Labour in Winchester

I suspect none of us are.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I see that the Home Secretary has tweeted.

'The Piers Corbyn video is sickening.

I back the police to take the strongest possible action against him.'

Is this expectation management?

I don't disagree, however shouldn't she also be backing "the police to take the strongest possible action" against those who broke lockdown rules in Downing Street last year?

Or is she politicising the police?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Roger said:

The problem with that is there are over 200 conservative mps who do understand the public and do not agree with the 100 so the conservative party is going to have to find a unity candidate and in the absence of one Boris will remain in place which neither of us want, you because of restrictions, me because he has brought the party into disrepute
    No the problem is there are 200 MPs who either are on the payroll or want to be on the payroll.

On a free vote other than a three line whip, do you really think not a single Minister would have voted the other way?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Place was full...
    Unfortunately my choir cancelled its Christmas concert due tomorrow.
    Ugh. Sympathies.
  • Options
    Backbench Tory source on David Frost’s ‘resignation’: “This is very bad news for Boris. Boris was elected to get Brexit done. Frost was getting Brexit done, if it turns out that he feels that is no longer possible it removes a big reason why Boris became PM in the first place.”
    https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1472318329113174025
  • Options
    Lord Frost resigns having opposed Brexit, made it happen, tried to rewrite it, and then decided the government isn't going in the right direction.
    https://twitter.com/Life_Disrupted/status/1472289460155043850
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    It's good for the Tory party to be reluctant in doing lockdowns because there's something for everyone in that, particularly when the opposition call for more lockdowns more often. Tory rebels ought to be happy with voting against lockdown and looking like the opposition to it, and to be fair when there's a huge majority in parliament the opposition to the government often comes from within the governing party at any rate. I'm not excited yet. Boris is safe I reckon.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

I'm just suggesting that the same logic could be applied to the above conspiracy theory. Finite "real people", (near) infinite computing power creating a (near) infinite amount of bots. Therefore your odds of communicating with a real person online become (near) infinity to one against.

While I don't think that holds true for PB, I could actually easily see a situation when, say GPT-4 comes out in a few years time and twitter is overrun by bots that you can't tell them apart from real people. Heck, we know it's got a bot problem now.
    I've already had that sensation. The weird feeling I've just had an argument with a computer. It was when I used to argue with Yvette Cooper, AKA Snowflake, on here

No, really. This is a major issue NOW. GPT3 can already make credible bots. The Chinese have meanwhile released their own "improved" non-Woke version. GPT4 will be ten times the size and is coming very soon. This is here and happening
  • Options
    Baroness Chapman (Frost’s Labour shadow): “The govt is in chaos. The country needs leadership not a lame duck PM who has lost the faith of his MPs and cabinet. Boris Johnson needs to get a grip, tell us his plan for the next few weeks and bring certainty for the people of NI.”
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1472318578951360512
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Roger said:

Telegraph just text.

Boris considers Christmas lockdown
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Roger said:

Telegraph just text.

If he does he will face a VONC from Tory MPs
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Baroness Chapman (Frost’s Labour shadow): “The govt is in chaos. The country needs leadership not a lame duck PM who has lost the faith of his MPs and cabinet. Boris Johnson needs to get a grip, tell us his plan for the next few weeks and bring certainty for the people of NI.”
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1472318578951360512

No he doesn't. He just needs to resign.

But this would not be the optimal outcome for Labour.
  • Options
    The Chancellor should've been here supporting our workers and businesses.

Instead he flew away for private meetings with US healthcare corps.

He must publish details of all his meetings in the US, and announce a package of support for our businesses.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/rishi-sunak-sent-ministers-uk-25734366
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Roger said:

Telegraph just text.

Well, if you're already the most unpopular person in the country, might as well double down

The Tories will eject him. His career as PM nears its end
This discussion has been closed.