Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Some of the CON seats that could fall on a 10% swing to the LDs – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

rkrkrk said:

Is Frost worth a punt for next Tory leader?

Which seat would he run in? Hartlepool?
    My hypothesis. Frost triggers Johnson's downfall and jointly pitches with Truss as PM and Frost as FM from the Lords. Both are very popular with members.
  • Options
    I didn't dox Leon
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,231
    Leon said:

I read that Sunak is a teetotaller

No. Just NO

A man who doesn't get lots of boos?

Sounds like an improvement...
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited December 2021

FF43 said:

Frost leaving under the shroud of Covid is rather disingenuous to Johnson.

My assertion is he has gone because he realised however hard he tries to bang the square peg into the round hole that is Northern Ireland it won't fit. And now the penny has dropped...

My hypothesis is that Frost is in league with Truss and this is something like a coup.

Also these people aren't serious. We're in a major Covid crisis.
    The only crisis is the failure in Downing Street.

Let Covid rip. It doesn't matter.
    If it were done when ’tis done, then ’twere well / It were done quickly...?

[Both Boris and Omicron]
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,938
  • Options
    SUNDAY TIMES: Crisis deepens for PM as key Brexit ally quits #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1472328432864444417/photo/1
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185

Does @Leon think we're stupid or what

Nope but he is trying to ensure no one finds out about his postings on here and screws up his ‘flint-knapping’ travels etc, where is is dogged persistently by some random called Sean Thomas Knox, an author of strongly selling airport literature.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/edwardmalnick/status/1472328422475108360

Is there anyone Johnson hasn't lied to, except Philip
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977

rpjs said:

Oh @Leon, the only person you're fooling with this nonsense that this isn't your third iteration is yourself

Third? I count at least four including the original.
    Bryonic, eadric, LadyG and now Leon. Have I missed any? 😉
    The original SeanT - so that’s 5.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Sunak's problem is that he dicked around not giving hospitality support.

If he resigns he still hasn't given them any support. So whilst he would probably become leader he might be toxic to a big chunk of the electorate.

I think Rishi would simply reopen the country with no restrictions. People are voluntarily locking themselves in to avoid having to isolate over Xmas, not because they're scared of getting Omicron.
    Yes but hospitality is bleeding out right now. Every day is another swathe of hospitality closing for good and owners/employees furious with the government.

There's nothing stopping people going out to eat right now but people aren't.

The biggest 2 weeks of the year and hospitality is dead on its arse.
    Took my older daughter to Camden Market today. The main market was rammed, surprisingly, but then we discovered the new Food Court in the new market - Hawley Wharf.

It's two floors of the best street food. Absolutely delicious. And it was near-empty. That was lovely for us, but I felt so sorry for the vendors and stall holders. They are pumping out magnificent food in a great new space and they've opened at probably the worst time in history

I pray it survives the Late Unpleasantness, and I recommend it to any PB-ers

https://www.camdenmarket.com/hawleywharf/
    I too visit imaginary places with my imaginary children
    lol. Do you actually think I'm making this up?

As in, are you imagining that I'm am imaginary person with imaginary kids?

That's quite meta. Perhaps we are all just ghosts that flit through Mike Smithson's sleeping brain
    The idea that you could be a construct is plainly ridiculous.
    And yet it's a popular conspiracy theory.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/conspiracy-theory-internet-died

I suppose you could formulate it the same way as Nick Bostrom's simulation argument, i.e. there are a finite number of people but a theoretical infinite number of bots, as bots proliferate (and become more advanced in their responses) there is an ever increasing chance you are talking to a bot, until you eventually reach a singularity where every interaction you have on the web is with a bot.
    Bostrom is an overrated wanker, and the theory you attribute to him does not originate with him
    I'm just suggesting that the same logic could be applied to the above conspiracy theory. Finite "real people", (near) infinite computing power creating a (near) infinite amount of bots. Therefore your odds of communicating with a real person online become (near) infinity to one against.

While I don't think that holds true for PB, I could actually easily see a situation when, say GPT-4 comes out in a few years time and twitter is overrun by bots that you can't tell them apart from real people. Heck, we know it's got a bot problem now.
    I've already had that sensation. The weird feeling I've just had an argument with a computer. It was when I used to argue with Yvette Cooper, AKA Snowflake, on here

No, really. This is a major issue NOW. GPT3 can already make credible bots. The Chinese have meanwhile released their own "improved" non-Woke version. GPT4 will be ten times the size and is coming very soon. This is here and happening
    You, SeanT, used to argue with Snowflake (who didn’t?), but not your pathetic decoy “Leon”.
    Who the fuck are you? Never met you before. Fuck off
    Maybe he changed his name.
    Unlike the coward Thomas I’ve posted under my real name since this daft blog started in 2004. Having witnessed Sean’s tragic career, I can quite understand why he doesn’t want to be associated with his record of shame.
  • Options

rpjs said:

Oh @Leon, the only person you're fooling with this nonsense that this isn't your third iteration is yourself

To be fair, each one of those iterations had far more humanity in them than you, Robot Boy.
  • Options

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

If he resigns he still hasn't given them any support. So whilst he would probably become leader he might be toxic to a big chunk of the electorate.

I think Rishi would simply reopen the country with no restrictions. People are voluntarily locking themselves in to avoid having to isolate over Xmas, not because they're scared of getting Omicron.
    Yes but hospitality is bleeding out right now. Every day is another swathe of hospitality closing for good and owners/employees furious with the government.

Took my older daughter to Camden Market today. The main market was rammed, surprisingly, but then we discovered the new Food Court in the new market - Hawley Wharf.

It's two floors of the best street food. Absolutely delicious. And it was near-empty. That was lovely for us, but I felt so sorry for the vendors and stall holders. They are pumping out magnificent food in a great new space and they've opened at probably the worst time in history

That's quite meta. Perhaps we are all just ghosts that flit through Mike Smithson's sleeping brain

I suppose you could formulate it the same way as Nick Bostrom's simulation argument, i.e. there are a finite number of people but a theoretical infinite number of bots, as bots proliferate (and become more advanced in their responses) there is an ever increasing chance you are talking to a bot, until you eventually reach a singularity where every interaction you have on the web is with a bot.
    Bostrom is an overrated wanker, and the theory you attribute to him does not originate with him
    I'm just suggesting that the same logic could be applied to the above conspiracy theory. Finite "real people", (near) infinite computing power creating a (near) infinite amount of bots. Therefore your odds of communicating with a real person online become (near) infinity to one against.

While I don't think that holds true for PB, I could actually easily see a situation when, say GPT-4 comes out in a few years time and twitter is overrun by bots that you can't tell them apart from real people. Heck, we know it's got a bot problem now.
    I've already had that sensation. The weird feeling I've just had an argument with a computer. It was when I used to argue with Yvette Cooper, AKA Snowflake, on here

No, really. This is a major issue NOW. GPT3 can already make credible bots. The Chinese have meanwhile released their own "improved" non-Woke version. GPT4 will be ten times the size and is coming very soon. This is here and happening
    You, SeanT, used to argue with Snowflake (who didn’t?), but not your pathetic decoy “Leon”.
    Unlike the coward Thomas I’ve posted under my real name since this daft blog started in 2004. Having witnessed Sean’s tragic career, I can quite understand why he doesn’t want to be associated with his record of shame.
    Can you give us hints of this "Sean's" work?
  • Options

rpjs said:

Fitz. But he only lasted a few posts.
  • Options
    ASoprano said:

rpjs said:

To be fair, each one of those iterations had far more humanity in them than you, Robot Boy.
    Love a bit of PB on PB
  • Options
    So farewell, Lord Frost You did a lot of damage in a very short time. Your timing is as opportunistic as ever (E.J Thribb) #BrexitReality
    https://twitter.com/lionelbarber/status/1472296623669657614
  • Options
    Different perspective on Lord Frost:

Lord Frost is one of the most disciplined, focussed, and strategic individuals I have ever met. A formidable brain but also a leader who, with Oliver Lewis, brought together talented officials to deliver the impossible. He has nerves of steel and somehow gave us faith to wait

https://twitter.com/nmdacosta/status/1472305518874087430?s=20
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited December 2021

FF43 said:

Frost leaving under the shroud of Covid is rather disingenuous to Johnson.

My assertion is he has gone because he realised however hard he tries to bang the square peg into the round hole that is Northern Ireland it won't fit. And now the penny has dropped...

My hypothesis is that Frost is in league with Truss and this is something like a coup.

Also these people aren't serious. We're in a major Covid crisis.
    That's Liz Remainer Truss?
    Why shouldn't David Remainer Frost join up with Liz Remainer Truss?

To the point, both claim to be heirs to Thatcher.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,147
    eek said:

rpjs said:

I am not any of these people, and yet, weirdly, I did once meet LadyG and Stuart Dickson, in a "dwarf and horse sauna" in Jakarta. Anyone who has been there will know what I mean

I was there to sell my flints, is my excuse
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Lord Frost ' Brexit is now secure'
  • Options

Lord Frost is one of the most disciplined, focussed, and strategic individuals I have ever met. A formidable brain but also a leader who, with Oliver Lewis, brought together talented officials to deliver the impossible. He has nerves of steel and somehow gave us faith to wait

What are they smoking and where do I get it?
  • Options
    I'm not doxing Leon, I'm just fed up of him being rude to me and others and being genuinely nasty, he treats us all like idiots with this rubbish where he essentially rubs it in our faces how he isn't somebody else. If he stopped doing it, I'd stop responding
  • Options
    Leon said:

No. Just NO

I'm a teetotaller
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,628

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

I know you have Stuart. I was winding Sean up.
  • Options
    Leon said:

eek said:

rpjs said:

I am not any of these people, and yet, weirdly, I did once meet LadyG and Stuart Dickson, in a "dwarf and horse sauna" in Jakarta. Anyone who has been there will know what I mean

I was there to sell my flints, is my excuse
    And there you go again, you must think we're all morons
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,185
    ydoethur said:

rpjs said:

Fitz. But he only lasted a few posts.
    Must have missed that one. Loved eadric, a name I also encountered at the York dungeons, as an Anglo-Saxon character.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132

I'm not doxing Leon, I'm just fed up of him being rude to me and others and being genuinely nasty, he treats us all like idiots with this rubbish where he essentially rubs it in our faces how he isn't somebody else. If he stopped doing it, I'd stop responding

ASoprano said:

rpjs said:

Love a bit of PB on PB
    Pot, kettle, etc...
  • Options
    eek said:

rpjs said:

How many angels can dance on a pinhead? (I'll take off my tinfoil helmet and let you know!)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058
    Fwiw hear this was more the problem than #brexit retreat on NI Protocol

Last three months Johnson has been taking harder line internally than Frost, I hear.

https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1472329778959114242
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Is this story about the Chief Whip true?

Can make you come with the merest glance...
    Nauseous.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

ASoprano said:

rpjs said:

Love a bit of PB on PB
    Pot, kettle, etc...
    I am bantering, Leon is genuinely nasty to people
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

On topic...

(And ignoring boundary changes for the moment)

I think the LDs stand an excellent chance in:

- Cheltenham
    - Winchester
    - Cambridgeshire South
    - Esher & Walton
    and
    - Guilford

They stand a decent chance in:
    - Eastbourne
    - Lewes

I don't rate their chances in Dunbartonshire East, Wimbledon*, Carshalton & Wallington or Sheffield Hallam.

* I reserve the right to reassess this prediction following the London locals this year.

*Guildford
    They will have a good chance in East Dunbartonshire with a better candidate than Swinson.
    Not hard. She was IIRC keen in fracking (funded by a fracking firm?) which is never a good idea for a MP in the Coal Measures of the Midland Valley. I really did wonder about her mental acuity. But that didn't for some reason attract much attention more generally as a likely factor in her ouster.

https://www.glasgowworld.com/news/politics/east-dunbartonshire-mp-jo-swinson-in-fracking-row-2034446
    To be fair, I think she was a victim of the SNP winning back pro-indy 2017 VI SLAB voters, who got caught up in Corbynmania at the time. 2019 was SLAB's worst ever result in the constituency.
    That, she and pretty much discouraged unionist SLAB and SCON voters from supporting her because she made clear she wouldn't support either Boris or the Absolute Boy as PM.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988

Leon said:

No. Just NO

I'm a teetotaller
    You are Rishi Sunak and I claim my £5!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    TimS said:

darkage said:

That Piers Corbyn tweet quoted above seems to be an incitement to violence, probably worth avoiding.

Looks to me like he’s broken a law there and will probably be arrested.
    I assume that’s what he wants
  • Options

Could you point me to the bit where I was rude to you? Recently?

Seriously. I am aware you have mental health issues and I am genuinely careful not to be nasty to you for that reason. This is not sarcastic

I don't mind a bit of PB knockabout - obvs, I dish it out often enough - but there are vulnerable people on here and I do my best not to include them in the *banter*

That said, if you persist in insulting people they will eventually return fire
  • Options
    ASoprano said:

rpjs said:

You're a weird, creepy stalker that's in your few posts already referenced me repeatedly when I wasn't even online.

Clearly I'm living rent free in your head already so no more needs to be said.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Heathener said:

One of my friends is severely, anaphalactically, allergic to one of the constituents in the vaccines ('ingredients' didn't seem like the right word). I point out that I only have her word for this but she's not someone I would distrust.

Not everyone who is unvaccinated is obstreperous.

One of the reasons, and there are many, why anti-vaxxers piss me off is that they are making life very difficult for people who are genuinely unable to be vaccinated. There are a lot of people out there who have to rely on the rest of us doing the right thing. And given that the right thing is free, simple, essentially painless, widely available, and may even save our own lives, it is infuriating that so many people still have not availed themselves of a first dose never mind the booster.
    Not to mention the genuinely vulnerable. Friends of ours have an 18 yo daughter with Crohn's Disease. The whole family is basically shut down for fear of one of these selfish arses potentially killing her.
    She's a bright kid who ought to be going to Russell Group. Won't be any time soon.
    Why? I have Crohn's Disease and I'm on immune suppressants. Hasn't stopped me doing anything.
    Likewise

I have Crohns, was not even a Severely Clinically Vulnerable illness.

Not remotely a reason to lock yourself away for any covid reason.
    To be fair, some of the potential courses of treatment are more immune suppressing than others, but that does sound like a severe overreaction nonetheless.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    edited December 2021

pigeon said:

ASoprano said:

rpjs said:

Love a bit of PB on PB
    Pot, kettle, etc...
    I banter.
    You insult.
    He is genuinely nasty.

Edit. Beaten to it by @ydoethur
  • Options

ASoprano said:

rpjs said:

You're a weird, creepy stalker that's in your few posts already referenced me repeatedly when I wasn't even online.

Philip you never leave this website, like me! :)
  • Options
    EXC - big row in a Tory Whatsapp “Clean Global Brexit” group with over 100 MPs

It leads leads to removal of Nadine Dorries after she defending the PM … and then Steve Baker declaring “enough is enough”

Exchanges here:
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1472331053775958016/photo/1
  • Options

ASoprano said:

rpjs said:

I pay my rent to Mr Scrooge weekly. He's a benevolent fella who knows the price of everythin.

A bit tubby though.
  • Options
    What is it they say about divided parties and losing elections?

Echos of the early 2000s
  • Options

pigeon said:

ASoprano said:

rpjs said:

Love a bit of PB on PB
    Pot, kettle, etc...
    Leon's silly fake identities = treating me like an idiot

Of Philip: "To be fair, each one of those iterations had far more humanity in them than you, Robot Boy." = banter, how funny
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

It leads leads to removal of Nadine Dorries after she defending the PM … and then Steve Baker declaring “enough is enough”

Exchanges here:

These exchanges clearly show that the Tory Party is never going to deliver what the Red Wall thinks it voted for
  • Options
    pigeon said:

pigeon said:

ASoprano said:

rpjs said:

Love a bit of PB on PB
    Pot, kettle, etc...

Of Philip: "To be fair, each one of those iterations had far more humanity in them than you, Robot Boy." = banter, how funny
    I didn't say my banter was any good
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

BREAKING: Germany to class the UK as a virus variant area from Monday, restricting travel from the UK to Germany. It’s been announced tonight by the Robert Koch Institute. More details to come… https://twitter.com/spiegel_eil/status/1472321450111610885

It might make sense to restrict us now, as we did with southern Africa. Once omicron is in and has a bit of steam from doubling you might as well lift it though.
    It'll be everywhere in short order, restrictions should lift in a week or two.
    Denmark of course is already really bad, as is Holland. France its well seeded. Even if it isn't widespread in Germany, their neighbours have it already.
    I can't see a way that it isn't all over Germany. Neighbouring countries, travel etc.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Exchanges here:

That's superb
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

BREAKING: Germany to class the UK as a virus variant area from Monday, restricting travel from the UK to Germany. It’s been announced tonight by the Robert Koch Institute. More details to come… https://twitter.com/spiegel_eil/status/1472321450111610885

It might make sense to restrict us now, as we did with southern Africa. Once omicron is in and has a bit of steam from doubling you might as well lift it though.
    Denmark of course is already really bad, as is Holland. France its well seeded. Even if it isn't widespread in Germany, their neighbours have it already.
    I can't see a way that it isn't all over Germany. Neighbouring countries, travel etc.
    I am sure it is.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977
    Scott_xP said:

Exchanges here:

It leads to Steve baker removing Nadine, worth stating that fact as it highlights 1 core split.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Could we please not dox anyone?

Would you be happy with your boss knowing your posting history, especially if your boss had very different political opinions to you? What about going for a job interview at a new place where your potential employer knows your post history would mean you wouldn't be a good cultural fit... Or if you worked at a place with a strict social media policy some of your opinions might breach if they could be attributed to you... (I'm none of these things, but have worked in such places).
    Sure, no worries - perhaps Leon should stop bringing it up, then and putting it in our faces
  • Options

Leon said:

No. Just NO

I'm a teetotaller
    Seriously doubt that Leon would fancy OGH for PM.

For other reasons, but teetotallism would surely NOT be a plus.

Though we do NOT know Smithsonian views (or habits) re: Ayahuasca and other psychedelic substances?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

rcs1000 said:

On topic...

(And ignoring boundary changes for the moment)

I think the LDs stand an excellent chance in:

- Cheltenham
    - Winchester
    - Cambridgeshire South
    - Esher & Walton
    and
    - Guilford

They stand a decent chance in:
    - Eastbourne
    - Lewes

I don't rate their chances in Dunbartonshire East, Wimbledon*, Carshalton & Wallington or Sheffield Hallam.

* I reserve the right to reassess this prediction following the London locals this year.

*Guildford
    They will have a good chance in East Dunbartonshire with a better candidate than Swinson.
    Not hard. She was IIRC keen in fracking (funded by a fracking firm?) which is never a good idea for a MP in the Coal Measures of the Midland Valley. I really did wonder about her mental acuity. But that didn't for some reason attract much attention more generally as a likely factor in her ouster.

https://www.glasgowworld.com/news/politics/east-dunbartonshire-mp-jo-swinson-in-fracking-row-2034446
    To be fair, I think she was a victim of the SNP winning back pro-indy 2017 VI SLAB voters, who got caught up in Corbynmania at the time. 2019 was SLAB's worst ever result in the constituency.
    That, she and pretty much discouraged unionist SLAB and SCON voters from supporting her because she made clear she wouldn't support either Boris or the Absolute Boy as PM.
    She spent the year prior to polling day going out of her way to piss off SCon and SLab supporters. Unsurprising that they felt disinclined to lend her tactical votes, with many SLab sympathisers instead voting SNP as punishment for her role in the Con/LD coalition.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

Kamski reckoned Germany was 2 weeks behind the UK, Omicron-wise, maybe less

I reckon "maybe less" is probably right. Everywhere in western Europe is maybe ten days behind the UK at best

It is far too infectious for it not to be lurking already in the data, ready to explode. Look at the record numbers in NY State today, that's Omicron. Ditto Ireland
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2021

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

ASoprano said:

rpjs said:

Love a bit of PB on PB
    Pot, kettle, etc...

Your banter? So you're ASoprano?

I did suspect as much. Not sure why you're bothering with multiple identities when you don't even use your real name.
  • Options
    We’ve reached a tipping point we’ve been building to for some time- with Brexiter opinion dissatisfied that the post Brexit economic model PM has gone for isn’t the one they imagined. For them Brexit was supposed to be an apotheosis of Thatcherism, not its reversal.

But that view hasn’t dealt with two points a) that of course it was in part bound to be a reversal of Thatcherism, in that it was withdrawing from a large single market b) Brexit was achieved with a certain political geography/demography to which Thatcherism+ would not appeal.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1472332044382396417
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

I am sure it is.
    What's your prediction Franny?
  • Options

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

ASoprano said:

rpjs said:

Love a bit of PB on PB
    Pot, kettle, etc...

Your banter? So your ASoprano?

I did suspect as much. Not sure why you're bothering with multiple identities when you don't even use your real name.
    No you prat, this was referring to my comment:

Learn to read rather than picking up fag ends
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

I reckon "maybe less" is probably right. Everywhere in western Europe is maybe ten days behind the UK at best

It is far too infectious for it not to be lurking already in the data, ready to explode. Look at the record numbers in NY State today, that's Omicron. Ditto Ireland
    The Netherlands and a few others are ahead of us, not behind. But the EU nations aren't closing their borders to the Netherlands, funny that.
  • Options
    The right of the party, which has always regarded Johnson's Brexit credentials with some wariness, hoped that Frost could keep the Prime Minister on the straight and narrow in the battle to renegotiate the Northern Ireland Protocol and cast off the shackles of the European Court of Justice. That Frost, a lifelong diplomat well-trained in the Brussels jungle, feels he could no longer serve in such a Cabinet, will only to the suspicion and apprehension with which some in the European Research Group now view him. Brexit hardman's Steve Baker response has been to retweet praise of Frost and add that 'I have I think the same complaints.' Ominous stuff for Johnson, given Baker's track record in effective backbench whipping operations.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/tories-split-on-lord-frost-s-exit
  • Options
    Just been sent the WhatsApp exchange by someone else which includes a bit missing from earlier exchange

Here’s Conor Burns also defending the PM and Dorries - which prompted the Baker response

Also Baker emoji action https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1472333400103133184/photo/1
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    Could Frosts resignation be part of an organised plot?

Perhaps Boris has made it clear he isn't going anywhere.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TimS said:

darkage said:

That Piers Corbyn tweet quoted above seems to be an incitement to violence, probably worth avoiding.

Looks to me like he’s broken a law there and will probably be arrested.
    I assume that’s what he wants
    BTW great new avatar.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Steve Baker pointing out some inconvenient truths there.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    The 'Clean Global Brexit' group chat seems totally devoid of craic
  • Options
    The Brexiteers want their pound of flesh...

Interesting retweet. Frost spent a lot of time tickling ERG tummies…if @BorisJohnson feels need to compensate for Frost walking (given all else gone to sh*t) a reflex defensive tack back towards #brexit purity may follow. Gawd. https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1472333516448882695/photo/1

Andrew Bridgen: "I think the resignation of Lord Frost for many (Tory MPs) will be a watershed moment."

Says Boris Johnson's choice is "to change or to go."

@TimesRadio @kaitborsay
    https://twitter.com/ProducerOllie/status/1472332220941705223
  • Options
    Seems a bit similar on here tonight as the Tory Whatsapp group.....
  • Options

No.

As if Frost could organise anything...
  • Options

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

ASoprano said:

rpjs said:

Love a bit of PB on PB
    Pot, kettle, etc...

Your banter? So your ASoprano?

Phil what does your better half make of you spending most of your life righting the wrongs of the world on a betting forum? Misallocation of resources surely for such a talented individual?

Or is it more likely that you're just the modern day version of the mediocre pub bore, that smells a bit of wee and bores everyone to tears?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

No.

As if Frost could organise anything...
    I thought the small print of the Telegraoh front page was interesting, clearly lots of briefings from.some cabinet ministers about others.
  • Options
    Frost's resignation aimed at getting rid of the PM, says @PaulGoodmanCH https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2021/12/et-tu-frostie.html
  • Options
    Brexit really is our English Civil War, all over again (complete with attendant plagues and religious frenzies)

In that light, we can probably expect - after prolonged agonies - some kind of Restoration of British EU Membership, but much altered, with the Divine Right of the ECJ and the European Commission gone forever from these island shores.

This would be an equable solution
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Big fan of my new avatar. Thanks Steve.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Frost's resignation aimed at getting rid of the PM, says @PaulGoodmanCH https://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2021/12/et-tu-frostie.html

So it wasn't just me thinking that then.
  • Options
    Fury at the leaked WhatsApps begin

One Tory says:

Proof that baker for all his BS claims of loyalty is after the PM’s job and won’t tolerate people defending him. ..

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1472335043586572292
  • Options

Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

The Netherlands and a few others are ahead of us, not behind. But the EU nations aren't closing their borders to the Netherlands, funny that.
    According to Twitter, Belgium is also a couple of days from lockdown
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

Well. Am in pub. Live music from a great band. Plenty of people here if not rammed. The atmosphere is wonderful.

Christ! Life is for living. Not cowering. Understand that others may take a different view. But I want to feel ALIVE! I want to bop and dance with a living breathing warm body and smile and laugh and flirt and just be with people.

And yes I have had a drink or two - a very nice Pasion Bobal.

I've just come back from singing in a major concert in Burton.

The conductor said at the end of rehearsal 'we may well only have seven people in the audience, but it will be worth it to sing again.'

Place was full...
    Well, place is now full. People are bopping, it is FUCKING awesome!
    You go Cyclefree!
  • Options
    Fury at the leaked WhatsApps begin

One Tory says:

Proof that baker for all his BS claims of loyalty is after the PM’s job and won’t tolerate people defending him. ..

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1472335043586572292?s=20
  • Options
    Frost’s departure is significant. He was one of the last of Johnson’s original circle to go into No10 with him, along with Dom Cummings, Oliver Lewis, Eddie Lister, Cleo Watson and Lee Cain. All have now walked/been fired. The Johnson tribe no longer exists.
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1472335368733302788
  • Options
    Departing for a moment from the apparently imminent collapse of the Government, hurrah for Jurgen Klopp!

Liverpool are rarities, with vaccine take-up at 100% and where boosters are encouraged as soon as everyone is eligible. It is an oversimplification to say it gives them complete protection from call-offs as Virgil van Dijk, Curtis Jones and Fabinho missed Thursday’s win over Newcastle after recording positive lateral flow tests. But whereas anti-vaxxers elsewhere are apparently being held partly responsible for postponements, Liverpool are due to face Tottenham on Sunday. It is why Klopp wants potential teammates for Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mané and Salah to trust in Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca.

“If a player is not vaccinated at all, he is a constant threat for all of us,” Klopp said. “He doesn’t want to be a threat. It is not that he thinks: ‘I don’t care about the others.’ But he is [a threat] and we have to find different scenarios. He has to change in a different dressing room, he has to eat in a different dining room, he has to sit in a different bus, he has to drive in a different car: from an organisational point of view, it gets really messy.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/dec/18/covid-chaos-leads-jurgen-klopp-demand-action-anti-vaxx-players-liverpool
  • Options
    Fascinating from the supremely well-informed Paul Goodman: “it is impossible to read such a full spectrum attack on Boris Johnson’s record as anything other than co-operation at least with attempts to bring him down.” https://twitter.com/paulgoodmanch/status/1472308591671619591
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    pigeon said:

Departing for a moment from the apparently imminent collapse of the Government, hurrah for Jurgen Klopp!

Liverpool are rarities, with vaccine take-up at 100% and where boosters are encouraged as soon as everyone is eligible. It is an oversimplification to say it gives them complete protection from call-offs as Virgil van Dijk, Curtis Jones and Fabinho missed Thursday’s win over Newcastle after recording positive lateral flow tests. But whereas anti-vaxxers elsewhere are apparently being held partly responsible for postponements, Liverpool are due to face Tottenham on Sunday. It is why Klopp wants potential teammates for Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mané and Salah to trust in Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca.

“If a player is not vaccinated at all, he is a constant threat for all of us,” Klopp said. “He doesn’t want to be a threat. It is not that he thinks: ‘I don’t care about the others.’ But he is [a threat] and we have to find different scenarios. He has to change in a different dressing room, he has to eat in a different dining room, he has to sit in a different bus, he has to drive in a different car: from an organisational point of view, it gets really messy.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/dec/18/covid-chaos-leads-jurgen-klopp-demand-action-anti-vaxx-players-liverpool

I believe dirty leeds, wolves and liverpool are basically fully vaxxed. The rest not.so much.

Newcastle are the ones that get me, two of their first team have ended up in a bad way and yet they have incredibly low vaccination rate. If I was Karl Darlow I would be fuming that my team mates wouldn't get it after i ended up in hospital.
  • Options
    Nadine can't even spell her last name lol
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    Scott_xP said:

Exchanges here:

Odd that after several critical posts, Dorries sticks up for the clown and that alone is sufficient for Baker to banish her.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Leon said:

Brexit really is our English Civil War, all over again (complete with attendant plagues and religious frenzies)

In that light, we can probably expect - after prolonged agonies - some kind of Restoration of British EU Membership, but much altered, with the Divine Right of the ECJ and the European Commission gone forever from these island shores.

One of things that happened in the aftermath of the civil war was banning Christmas. Maybe Johnson is really Cromwell?
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Leon said:

No, that would be like the Restoration requiring the monarch to be a figurehead from the get-go. That was not possible because no-one could figure out how to create an executive that could work with Parliamentary supremacy. It took sixty years for a viable solution to that to emerge.

What will actually happen is much more mundane: a return to the EEA/CU after the next election (which may come sooner than we think if the Tory party does split in the next few months) and then 5-10 years after that a realization that it’s better to be one of the rule makers than a passive rule taker and a full rejoin, including Schengen and the Euro.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    kyf_100 said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Could we please not dox anyone?

Would you be happy with your boss knowing your posting history, especially if your boss had very different political opinions to you? What about going for a job interview at a new place where your potential employer knows your post history would mean you wouldn't be a good cultural fit... Or if you worked at a place with a strict social media policy some of your opinions might breach if they could be attributed to you... (I'm none of these things, but have worked in such places).
    Indeed. Did we gain much by finding out the reality of Farmer Tupac? Or would we enjoy it more if he was still here?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

I am sure it is.
    Yes of course it is. But strange that the Robert Koch Inst supports this policy.

• Options
    Observer saying that conservative mps will not move against Boris due to the covid crisis and will wait for the May elections

Not sure how long that will hold
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945

Leon said:

One of things that happened in the aftermath of the civil war was banning Christmas. Maybe Johnson is really Cromwell?
    I'm seeing it more as the inevitability that all revolutions devour their own children. Boris is Robespierre and the chopping block awaits.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

Given they are running testing at 16% of the UK level and of those tests sequencing 12% of the positive outcomes, relative to the UK, (i.e. 2% of the UK rate) how the fiddle do they think they have the remotest idea how much Omnicron they already have?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    edited December 2021

Nadine can't even spell her last name lol

Deleted
  • Options
    The Conservative Party imploding over Europe during a national public health crisis is the popcorn moment we've all be waiting for.
  • Options
    Leon said:

How far through the Commonwealth do you reckon we are?

And if Johnson is our Oliver Cromwell (by status if not temperament), who will be our Tumbledown Dick?
This discussion has been closed.