Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Some of the CON seats that could fall on a 10% swing to the LDs – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Frosty the no man
    Was a jolly stupid soul
    With a bright red face and a lack of grace
    And a skill with the own goal

Frosty the no man
    Had a fairytale to sell
    How we'd vote to leave and if we'd just believe
    Then things would work out swell

He must have suddenly realised
    That his Brexit deal was shite
    But he's blaming it on Covid
    As he disappears tonight

Frosty the no man
    Had to hurry on his way
    But he waved good-bye, saying, "Don't you cry
    We'll be back in Europe some day!"

He says again, ‘Good fences make good neighbors.’
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069

Frost-ie the No-Man!
    Wasn't having any fun!
    Then he saw his chance!
    To save his icy arse!
    By kicking BoJo in the bum!

(pretty feeble, so someone else willing to give it a go?)

There was an old Lord named Frost,
    Who negotiated Brexit at great cost,
    The Irish did say,
    Please go away,
    So he said to Boris "Get lost!"
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    IanB2 said:

Frost is simply running away from the impossible circle that he should have known could never be squared. Now it is someone else’s problem.

Lord Frost has resigned over the inevitable capitulation over the Northern Irish Protocol that will come soon. It’s his own fault; he has set the bar too high in the July Command Paper, pledging to remove all EU law from the Protocol. An impossible ask which has backfired on him.
    https://twitter.com/AntonSpisak/status/1472313919549153289
    https://twitter.com/bethrigby/status/1472305756846366721
  • IanB2 said:

Frost is simply running away from the impossible circle that he should have known could never be squared. Now it is someone else’s problem.

It wasn't impossible there was a perfectly good solution: Article 16.

If Boris is too much of a pussy to invoke that, as well as too much of a pussy to tell Whitty we are never locking down again then that just shows how pissweak and pathetic Boris has become.

Boris has all the backbone of a quivering pile of jelly now it seems. Any failure belongs to Boris personally. Article 16 remains the right solution.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

dr_spyn said:

I see that the Home Secretary has tweeted.

'The Piers Corbyn video is sickening.

I back the police to take the strongest possible action against him.'

Is this expectation management?

I don't disagree, however shouldn't she also be backing "the police to take the strongest possible action" against those who broke lockdown rules in Downing Street last year?

Or is she politicising the police?
    At first I thought Priti had gone mad, but having watched the video Corbyn urged arson against MPs in his latest rant.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    glw said:

Heathener said:

One of my friends is severely, anaphalactically, allergic to one of the constituents in the vaccines ('ingredients' didn't seem like the right word). I point out that I only have her word for this but she's not someone I would distrust.

Not everyone who is unvaccinated is obstreperous.

One of the reasons, and there are many, why anti-vaxxers piss me off is that they are making life very difficult for people who are genuinely unable to be vaccinated. There are a lot of people out there who have to rely on the rest of us doing the right thing. And given that the right thing is free, simple, essentially painless, widely available, and may even save our own lives, it is infuriating that so many people still have not availed themselves of a first dose never mind the booster.
    Not to mention the genuinely vulnerable. Friends of ours have an 18 yo daughter with Crohn's Disease. The whole family is basically shut down for fear of one of these selfish arses potentially killing her.
    She's a bright kid who ought to be going to Russell Group. Won't be any time soon.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279

dr_spyn said:

I see that the Home Secretary has tweeted.

'The Piers Corbyn video is sickening.

I back the police to take the strongest possible action against him.'

Is this expectation management?

I don't disagree, however shouldn't she also be backing "the police to take the strongest possible action" against those who broke lockdown rules in Downing Street last year?

Or is she politicising the police?
    Am still wondering how far last year's lockdown was being enforced by social norms and guidance rather than statute law.

Patel might have been wiser pressing the do not send button on her phone or laptop or phone.

• GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    dixiedean said:

glw said:

Heathener said:

One of my friends is severely, anaphalactically, allergic to one of the constituents in the vaccines ('ingredients' didn't seem like the right word). I point out that I only have her word for this but she's not someone I would distrust.

One of the reasons, and there are many, why anti-vaxxers piss me off is that they are making life very difficult for people who are genuinely unable to be vaccinated. There are a lot of people out there who have to rely on the rest of us doing the right thing. And given that the right thing is free, simple, essentially painless, widely available, and may even save our own lives, it is infuriating that so many people still have not availed themselves of a first dose never mind the booster.
    Not to mention the genuinely vulnerable. Friends of ours have an 18 yo daughter with Crohn's Disease. The whole family is basically shut down for fear of one of these selfish arses potentially killing her.
    She's a bright kid who ought to be going to Russell Group. Won't be any time soon.
    Why? I have Crohn's Disease and I'm on immune suppressants. Hasn't stopped me doing anything.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Lord Frost has resigned over the inevitable capitulation over the Northern Irish Protocol that will come soon. It’s his own fault; he has set the bar too high in the July Command Paper, pledging to remove all EU law from the Protocol. An impossible ask which has backfired on him.
    Funny how those “dreary steeples” keep coming back to haunt the UK. Maybe it would have been better to have not partioned Ireland in the first place.
    Interesting choreography in last week re Brexit NIP.

- A week ago EU journalists told UK dropped ECJ demand.

- This then denied by Downing St

- Then Thursday new approach by UK govt emerges confirming what European journalists told.

- Sat Lord Frost resigns over "covid"

- https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1472320533609992195
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Starting to think that the political choices the Conservative Party made in 2019 weren’t necessarily all that wise and may cause some problems for them and the country over the medium term.
    https://twitter.com/DavidGauke/status/1472303576424890370

Still beat Corbyn and got Brexit done
    Roger said:

That's extraordinarily disappointing if true.

I have more faith in Frost than Boris.
    Boris pays your wages.....
    I respected the liberal Boris who was prepared to stand up to the EU and who was instinctively opposed to restrictions unless absolutely necessary.

Not this pissweak, pathetic, preposterous pansy of a politician he has become.

He's a failure now trashing his own legacy. He needs to go NOW. And whoever replaces him should give Frost his job back.

I am disgusted with Boris now.
    If Boris introduces another lockdown I fear Farage may return to reclaim voters Boris won back for the Tories in 2019
    The problem as I see it is there are 100 plus conservative mps, and now Frost , who seem to be morphing into the Republican party and absolutely not on the side of British opinion

The irony is that Boris is more in tune with the public on covid and green issues than the conservative party and unless they get a grip, they are heading into years in the wilderness and handing the country over to a fiscally incoherent labour party

I only hope that in all this the lib dems do very well in 24, and are able to act as a brake on an uncontrolled labour party for all our sakes as labour will run out of money no matter how much they tax the rich

Just a few short weeks ago Boris was ahead in the polls and ratings but look at him now

An utterly astonishing act of political self harm
    Polls show most voters do not want another lockdown
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1471973492472131587?s=20
    Telegraph just text.

Boris considers Christmas lockdown
    If he does he will face a VONC from Tory MPs
    If Bozza stands firm keeps the country open and lots and lots of people die (I am suggesting a possible, not a probable scenario here, but let's assume for a moment. It is bad) how does Johnson get out of that having disregarded SAGE advice? Rocks and hard places.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Sunak's problem is that he dicked around not giving hospitality support.

If he resigns he still hasn't given them any support. So whilst he would probably become leader he might be toxic to a big chunk of the electorate.

I think Rishi would simply reopen the country with no restrictions. People are voluntarily locking themselves in to avoid having to isolate over Xmas, not because they're scared of getting Omicron.
    Yes but hospitality is bleeding out right now. Every day is another swathe of hospitality closing for good and owners/employees furious with the government.

There's nothing stopping people going out to eat right now but people aren't.

The biggest 2 weeks of the year and hospitality is dead on its arse.
    Took my older daughter to Camden Market today. The main market was rammed, surprisingly, but then we discovered the new Food Court in the new market - Hawley Wharf.

It's two floors of the best street food. Absolutely delicious. And it was near-empty. That was lovely for us, but I felt so sorry for the vendors and stall holders. They are pumping out magnificent food in a great new space and they've opened at probably the worst time in history

I pray it survives the Late Unpleasantness, and I recommend it to any PB-ers

https://www.camdenmarket.com/hawleywharf/
    I too visit imaginary places with my imaginary children
    lol. Do you actually think I'm making this up?

As in, are you imagining that I'm am imaginary person with imaginary kids?

That's quite meta. Perhaps we are all just ghosts that flit through Mike Smithson's sleeping brain
    The idea that you could be a construct is plainly ridiculous.
    And yet it's a popular conspiracy theory.

https://futurism.com/the-byte/conspiracy-theory-internet-died

I suppose you could formulate it the same way as Nick Bostrom's simulation argument, i.e. there are a finite number of people but a theoretical infinite number of bots, as bots proliferate (and become more advanced in their responses) there is an ever increasing chance you are talking to a bot, until you eventually reach a singularity where every interaction you have on the web is with a bot.
    Bostrom is an overrated wanker, and the theory you attribute to him does not originate with him
    I'm just suggesting that the same logic could be applied to the above conspiracy theory. Finite "real people", (near) infinite computing power creating a (near) infinite amount of bots. Therefore your odds of communicating with a real person online become (near) infinity to one against.

While I don't think that holds true for PB, I could actually easily see a situation when, say GPT-4 comes out in a few years time and twitter is overrun by bots that you can't tell them apart from real people. Heck, we know it's got a bot problem now.
    I've already had that sensation. The weird feeling I've just had an argument with a computer. It was when I used to argue with Yvette Cooper, AKA Snowflake, on here

No, really. This is a major issue NOW. GPT3 can already make credible bots. The Chinese have meanwhile released their own "improved" non-Woke version. GPT4 will be ten times the size and is coming very soon. This is here and happening
    So the question then is, who on here is a bot... Some people's responses to certain issues are so rigid, inflexible and preprogrammed that I suspect it rules them out ;) GPT-3 is more sophisticated...
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    edited December 2021

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Heathener said:

Why? I have Crohn's Disease and I'm on immune suppressants. Hasn't stopped me doing anything.
    She has other underlying issues too.
    Also. It is the psychology. You can't account for how folk feel.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

I thought he resigned over Covid regulations?
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

If he resigns he still hasn't given them any support. So whilst he would probably become leader he might be toxic to a big chunk of the electorate.

I think Rishi would simply reopen the country with no restrictions. People are voluntarily locking themselves in to avoid having to isolate over Xmas, not because they're scared of getting Omicron.
    Yes but hospitality is bleeding out right now. Every day is another swathe of hospitality closing for good and owners/employees furious with the government.

Took my older daughter to Camden Market today. The main market was rammed, surprisingly, but then we discovered the new Food Court in the new market - Hawley Wharf.

It's two floors of the best street food. Absolutely delicious. And it was near-empty. That was lovely for us, but I felt so sorry for the vendors and stall holders. They are pumping out magnificent food in a great new space and they've opened at probably the worst time in history

That's quite meta. Perhaps we are all just ghosts that flit through Mike Smithson's sleeping brain

I suppose you could formulate it the same way as Nick Bostrom's simulation argument, i.e. there are a finite number of people but a theoretical infinite number of bots, as bots proliferate (and become more advanced in their responses) there is an ever increasing chance you are talking to a bot, until you eventually reach a singularity where every interaction you have on the web is with a bot.
    Bostrom is an overrated wanker, and the theory you attribute to him does not originate with him
    I'm just suggesting that the same logic could be applied to the above conspiracy theory. Finite "real people", (near) infinite computing power creating a (near) infinite amount of bots. Therefore your odds of communicating with a real person online become (near) infinity to one against.

While I don't think that holds true for PB, I could actually easily see a situation when, say GPT-4 comes out in a few years time and twitter is overrun by bots that you can't tell them apart from real people. Heck, we know it's got a bot problem now.
    I've already had that sensation. The weird feeling I've just had an argument with a computer. It was when I used to argue with Yvette Cooper, AKA Snowflake, on here
    Wait, Yvette Cooper was on here?

(I occasionally idle away the minutes when my C++ code is compiling by trolling the comments section of a local newspaper website. The regulars are absolutely convinced I’m the high-profile deputy leader of a major local council. I clearly am not - I’ve never met the guy and we’re in different parties - but it’s highly amusing…)
  • ManchesterKurtManchesterKurt Posts: 892
    edited December 2021

dixiedean said:

glw said:

Heathener said:

Likewise

I have Crohns, was not even a Severely Clinically Vulnerable illness.

Not remotely a reason to lock yourself away for any covid reason.
  • What we need now is a PRO-Frostie jingle or ode or whatever.

"Frost-ie the Go Man!
    Did a very righteous thing!
    He resigned his post for freedom!
    Happy libertarian PBers sing!"
    The most unreliable politics account on twitter says the chief whip has been sacked
  • IF "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie, is "Lord Frost" a Christmas panto?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281

IF "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie, is "Lord Frost" a Christmas panto?

Oh no he isn't.
    Scott_xP said:

The most unreliable politics account on twitter says the chief whip has been sacked

??
    Stave Brexit Hardman Baker says no...

Scott_xP said:

??

Politics For All
    @PoliticsForAlI
    Police cars revolving light | BREAKING: Boris Johnson has agreed to sack chief whip Mark Spencer, and may take down Simon Case next
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:

- Then Thursday new approach by UK govt emerges confirming what European journalists told.

I would just caution all the excitement over this

If Boris now agrees the negotiated offer with the EU and additionally the fishing licences with France then in a short time Brexit will be off the political agenda

Furthermore, despite all the controversies, and with the exception of SNP and Plaid, no other UK party wants to re-join the EU nor campaign for it at GE24
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851
    Bloody hell, so now Frostie's flounced off. Is Planet Boris heading for the heart of the sun?
  • Leon said:

IanB2 said:

If Boris is too much of a pussy to invoke that, as well as too much of a pussy to tell Whitty we are never locking down again then that just shows how pissweak and pathetic Boris has become.

Boris has all the backbone of a quivering pile of jelly now it seems. Any failure belongs to Boris personally. Article 16 remains the right solution.
    Mate, no one is going to invoke it. Not now. Everyone wants Brexit to go away

if this achieves it, then it will be done. The unionists will object, but then they will realise it leaves them in a pretty favourable economic position, uniquely in the UK and EU single markets, and with Freedom of Movement yet also the protection of the NHS

That position will be sustainable for a generation, easily
    Article 16 remains the right solution, just as threatening No Deal was the right solution a couple of years ago. May was weak, Boris has become weak.

It seems for Brexit and Covid combined the one MP speaking sense is Steve Baker. Maybe he should be next PM?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,268

Scott_xP said:

??

Politics For All
    @PoliticsForAlI
    Police cars revolving light | BREAKING: Boris Johnson has agreed to sack chief whip Mark Spencer, and may take down Simon Case next
    OK this is an attempted coup. They are trying to bring down THE BORIS
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited December 2021
    rpjs said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

Funny how those “dreary steeples” keep coming back to haunt the UK. Maybe it would have been better to have not partitioned Ireland in the first place.
    “Maybe”?!?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,587
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

IanB2 said:

I thought he resigned over Covid regulations?
    Smoke and mirrors to mask his utter Brexit failure!
    TELEGRAPH: ⁦@DavidGHFrost⁩ quits Cabinet as ⁦@BorisJohnson⁩ considers Christmas lockdown #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1472322543566692354/photo/1
    ‘Tonight, Boris Johnson faces the greatest crisis since his election victory two years ago.’

✍️ James Forsyth

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/lord-frost-s-resignation-is-a-brutal-blow-to-boris-johnson

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Mate, no one is going to invoke it. Not now. Everyone wants Brexit to go away

if this achieves it, then it will be done. The unionists will object, but then they will realise it leaves them in a pretty favourable economic position, uniquely in the UK and EU single markets, and with Freedom of Movement yet also the protection of the NHS

That position will be sustainable for a generation, easily
    Article 16 remains the right solution, just as threatening No Deal was the right solution a couple of years ago. May was weak, Boris has become weak.

It seems for Brexit and Covid combined the one MP speaking sense is Steve Baker. Maybe he should be next PM?
    Well, sure, if you don’t mind totally trashing the UK’s international reputation and having no other country trust us again for a generation or more. But “better to reign in hell” eh?

Face it PT, Brexit is dead. They just haven’t announced the funeral date yet. No flowers.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    dixiedean said:

Yes the freedom of an individual to not have a jab that may save their own life comes at the cost of greater risk for people who can't be vaccinated, and people who are clinically vulnerable, as well as disrupting the treatments of other people who need healthcare. It's an inhumane freedom.
    kinabalu said:

Bloody hell, so now Frostie's flounced off. Is Planet Boris heading for the heart of the sun?

Saucer full of secrets to come out about No 10 parties.
  • kinabalu said:

We can only hope
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    Just read Khan remarks about vaccination and London.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-59710649

Interesting he was so brave in saying what is happening.
  • Dean Martin - The Party's Over
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyAEOT7aYiE

A political joke surely? ;)
  • Scott_xP said:

I would just caution all the excitement over this

If Boris now agrees the negotiated offer with the EU and additionally the fishing licences with France then in a short time Brexit will be off the political agenda

Furthermore, despite all the controversies, and with the exception of SNP and Plaid, no other UK party wants to re-join the EU nor campaign for it at GE24
    Of course not. The campaign will be to join the EEA to try and undo the utter disaster inflicted on British business by the Conservatives
    Who will be campaigning at GE 24 for the EEA not that I am averse to it
    Plague Island...

BREAKING: Germany to class the UK as a virus variant area from Monday, restricting travel from the UK to Germany. It’s been announced tonight by the Robert Koch Institute. More details to come… https://twitter.com/spiegel_eil/status/1472321450111610885
    Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

BREAKING: Germany to class the UK as a virus variant area from Monday, restricting travel from the UK to Germany. It’s been announced tonight by the Robert Koch Institute. More details to come… https://twitter.com/spiegel_eil/status/1472321450111610885

Pointless tho. Germany will be Das Plague Republik in about a week. And as for Belgium, Holland, Denmark....
  • glw said:

dixiedean said:

Yes the freedom of an individual to not have a jab that may save their own life comes at the cost of greater risk for people who can't be vaccinated, and people who are clinically vulnerable, as well as disrupting the treatments of other people who need healthcare. It's an inhumane freedom.
    Sorry but no. Everyone is responsible for their own choices.

If people don't want to get vaccinated that's their choice. Nobody should ever force medical treatment on someone who doesn't want it.

If that increases risk for others then the others will have to manage their own risk. Not force themselves on others.

The unvaccinated should be taxed to fund the NHS or left to die without treatment but they should never be compelled to do what they don't want to do. Nor should others.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

Punished for our excellent surveillance and being open. Ironic really, it’s what we did to SA...
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

IF "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie, is "Lord Frost" a Christmas panto?

"Lord Frost" is surely an Adam West era Batman villain.
    edited December 2021
    Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

It might make sense to restrict us now, as we did with southern Africa. Once omicron is in and has a bit of steam from doubling you might as well lift it though.
    It'll be everywhere in short order, restrictions should lift in a week or two.
  • Scott_xP said:

TELEGRAPH: ⁦@DavidGHFrost⁩ quits Cabinet as ⁦@BorisJohnson⁩ considers Christmas lockdown #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1472322543566692354/photo/1

The interesting thing in the small print is the jockeying for position / breifing. Sunak briefing he is against restrictions, while some unknown person says bloody Gove wants to lock us up forever and Javid also want more restrictions.
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Starting to think that the political choices the Conservative Party made in 2019 weren’t necessarily all that wise and may cause some problems for them and the country over the medium term.

Roger said:

I respected the liberal Boris who was prepared to stand up to the EU and who was instinctively opposed to restrictions unless absolutely necessary.

He's a failure now trashing his own legacy. He needs to go NOW. And whoever replaces him should give Frost his job back.

If Boris introduces another lockdown I fear Farage may return to reclaim voters Boris won back for the Tories in 2019
    The problem as I see it is there are 100 plus conservative mps, and now Frost , who seem to be morphing into the Republican party and absolutely not on the side of British opinion

The irony is that Boris is more in tune with the public on covid and green issues than the conservative party and unless they get a grip, they are heading into years in the wilderness and handing the country over to a fiscally incoherent labour party

I only hope that in all this the lib dems do very well in 24, and are able to act as a brake on an uncontrolled labour party for all our sakes as labour will run out of money no matter how much they tax the rich

Just a few short weeks ago Boris was ahead in the polls and ratings but look at him now

Telegraph just text.

If Bozza stands firm keeps the country open and lots and lots of people die (I am suggesting a possible, not a probable scenario here, but let's assume for a moment. It is bad) how does Johnson get out of that having disregarded SAGE advice? Rocks and hard places.
    He's in an absolutely terrible bind. I almost feel for him. No, I DO feel for him just a little bit.

It's amazing how things have changed for Johnson and Starmer. 7 months ago, utter uncaveated triumph for BJ, he wins where no Tory could ever dream of winning, and it is him not the party, everyone knows this. When he goes there to celebrate a mighty blimp is raised in the sky above the town he’s conquered. It grins and waves, as do the people who’ve turned out in their hundreds, Hartlepool is his oyster and so, it seems, is the country. He is, at this moment, quite literally a Muscly Magnificence, no data or BMI calculations necessary. The questions are only how much bigger than 80 his next majority will be and for how many terms he will sit astride his throne and shi .. gaze upon his people.

By contrast SKS is feeling lower than a snake’s belly. The questions swirling around him are of the opposite ilk. How much longer can this dreary little man carry on? How on earth can he ever cut through as leader of HM Opposition when he can’t pop a metaphor or wear a beanie or struggle in entertaining fashion to open a brolly? Surely he has to go and make way for someone with the buckets of brio needed to take on a bloke who can do all of this and more in his sleep. Names like the Mayor of Greater Manchester, Andy Burnham, are mooted, or the Mayor of South Yorkshire, Dan Jarvis. Or maybe Lisa Nandy.

It was that extreme - hero vs zero. I remember a PMQs shortly afterwards where the stark difference in the status and confidence of the 2 men was writ so large it was kind of embarrassing. Johnson, his ‘born to rule’ voice booming, blond locks akimbo, absolutely full of it, outright toying with the earnest charisma-challenged technocrat with normcore hair and aspirational nasaly tones facing him across the despatch box. One’s heart went out to Keir if one had a heart. It was like watching a joust between a world class Palladium level song & dance man who can also do comedy and a bog standard ordinary person. It really was.

And yet now, here we are. The big switcheroo. Starmer is rampant and Johnson is standing on a stool with his pants down. He’s doing the toying, Johnson is the toy. He has a real shot at the title, Johnson might well be looking at a one-way ticket to Palookaville. Politics eh. Don’t you just love it. :smile:
    No, that's bollocks

Starmer has remained what he always was. A tedious technocrat. Charmless but competent. Meh but OK

All the action is all on the Boris side, the Bozza has imploded like a great red giant star becoming a black hole. And now he threatens to suck in the entire Tory party with his negative gravitational pull
    kinabalu said:

It's amazing how things have changed for Johnson and Starmer. 7 months ago,

When was Starmer's wallpaper stunt?

Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

Punished for our excellent surveillance and being open. Ironic really, it’s what we did to SA...
    I assume Germany is > 99% delta at the moment ?
  • Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

No, really. This is a major issue NOW. GPT3 can already make credible bots. The Chinese have meanwhile released their own "improved" non-Woke version. GPT4 will be ten times the size and is coming very soon. This is here and happening
    You, SeanT, used to argue with Snowflake (who didn’t?), but not your pathetic decoy “Leon”.

"Lord Frost" is surely an Adam West era Batman villain.
    Great concept! And really a reality in another dimension?

Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

Punished by being forbidden the pleasure of travel to Dusseldorf in January. I can, somehow, cope

Thailand, mind. That's different.

*fervently prays*
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

Who knows? I doubt they do.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    Scott_xP said:

‘Tonight, Boris Johnson faces the greatest crisis since his election victory two years ago.’

✍️ James Forsyth

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/lord-frost-s-resignation-is-a-brutal-blow-to-boris-johnson

Sounds like that line in the Black Adder.

'The gravest crisis since the Roman invasion.'

'No no! What about the Viking invasion?'

'And the Norman invasion?'

'And the Swiss invasion?'

'Well, at any rate the gravest crisis for some time.'
  • nico679 said:

Frost who originally thought it was crazy to leave the single market did a Truss and joined the Brexit Death Cult . Then he went over to Brussels threatened the EU , started making up new demands on the NI protocol which weren’t an issue a year ago and then flounced off after they told him to go fxck himself ! Have I missed anything out !

He did a truly fantastic job, got a renegotiated deal and was on the right track with the Protocol too.

One of the best Ministers we've ever had in my memory. A major loss and Boris should be ashamed to lose him.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

It might make sense to restrict us now, as we did with southern Africa. Once omicron is in and has a bit of steam from doubling you might as well lift it though.
    Denmark of course is already really bad, as is Holland. France its well seeded. Even if it isn't widespread in Germany, their neighbours have it already.

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

You, SeanT, used to argue with Snowflake (who didn’t?), but not your pathetic decoy “Leon”.
    Who the fuck are you? Never met you before. Fuck off
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 4,534

nico679 said:

Frost who originally thought it was crazy to leave the single market did a Truss and joined the Brexit Death Cult . Then he went over to Brussels threatened the EU , started making up new demands on the NI protocol which weren’t an issue a year ago and then flounced off after they told him to go fxck himself ! Have I missed anything out !

He did a truly fantastic job, got a renegotiated deal and was on the right track with the Protocol too.

One of the best Ministers we've ever had in my memory. A major loss and Boris should be ashamed to lose him.
    Why Frost is a clown full of his own self importance who was out of his depth and a continual embarrassment to the country , a bit like the other clown in no 10.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    edited December 2021

Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

How would they know?
    edit: snap Turbotubbs!
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

Hugs and kisses to you too Seanie xox
    Leon said:

*fervently prays*

British Airways cancels over 2,000 flights including Bangkok - more at https://thethaiger.com/news/national/british-airways-cancels-over-2000-flights-including-bangkok #Thailand
    In the face of the spread of Covid-19 as infections surge in the UK, British Airways have suspended all their flights travelling to Bangkok until October of next year. Rum... https://twitter.com/ThaigerNews/status/1472198963969150980/photo/1
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

He's a Swede Scottish Nationalist.

Unlike Malkie, who can be rather a sour one...
    🤣🤣 This is spectacular. Briefing against the chief whip when 100 of your MPs already voted against you. 🤣🤣🤣 in a bid to restore discipline! https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17081425/boris-johnson-lord-frost-top-team/?utm_campaign=native_share&utm_source=sharebar_native&utm_medium=sharebar_native
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited December 2021

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Roger said:

Telegraph just text.

Getting most people boosted will minimise hospitalisations and deaths.

However locking down again could see RefUK and Farage overtake the Tories and destroy the economy and many small businesses and would seal Boris' fate
  • glwglw Posts: 9,535
    Pulpstar said:

It probably already is everywhere now. There are numerous stories from the US where the local authorities actually do a decent amount of testing and sequencing that show figures every bit as bad as we are seeing in London now.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,881
    Is Frost worth a punt for next Tory leader?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Plague Island...

Punished by being forbidden the pleasure of travel to Dusseldorf in January. I can, somehow, cope

*fervently prays*
    You missing those knocking shops? I thought you'd put all that behind you.
  • Oh @Leon, the only person you're fooling with this nonsense that this isn't your third iteration is yourself
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545

Frost leaving under the shroud of Covid is rather disingenuous to Johnson.

My assertion is he has gone because he realised however hard he tries to bang the square peg into the round hole that is Northern Ireland it won't fit. And now the penny has dropped...

My hypothesis is that Frost is in league with Truss and this is something like a coup.

Also these people aren't serious. We're in a major Covid crisis.
  • Scott_xP said:

🤣🤣 This is spectacular. Briefing against the chief whip when 100 of your MPs already voted against you. 🤣🤣🤣 in a bid to restore discipline! https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17081425/boris-johnson-lord-frost-top-team/?utm_campaign=native_share&utm_source=sharebar_native&utm_medium=sharebar_native

The chief whip has been useless
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Alistair said:

MaxPB said:

Alistair said:

He's a Swede Scottish Nationalist.

Unlike Malkie, who can be rather a sour one...
    I get confused. They constantly switch identities

Isn't Stuart the slightly creepy hey-I'm-a-nudist weirdo Nat obsessed with scrotums?
    rkrkrk said:

Which seat would he run in? Hartlepool?

Oh @Leon, the only person you're fooling with this nonsense that this isn't your third iteration is yourself

Third? I count at least four including the original.
    rkrkrk said:

No

Oh @Leon, the only person you're fooling with this nonsense that this isn't your third iteration is yourself

Third? More than that surely...
    FF43 said:

.My hypothesis is that Frost is in league with Truss and this is something like a coup.

I saw that suggested elsewhere. Has she promised him FS?
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,343
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Roger said:

Telegraph just text.

He's in an absolutely terrible bind. I almost feel for him. No, I DO feel for him just a little bit.

It's amazing how things have changed for Johnson and Starmer. 7 months ago, utter uncaveated triumph for BJ, he wins where no Tory could ever dream of winning, and it is him not the party, everyone knows this. When he goes there to celebrate a mighty blimp is raised in the sky above the town he’s conquered. It grins and waves, as do the people who’ve turned out in their hundreds, Hartlepool is his oyster and so, it seems, is the country. He is, at this moment, quite literally a Muscly Magnificence, no data or BMI calculations necessary. The questions are only how much bigger than 80 his next majority will be and for how many terms he will sit astride his throne and shi .. gaze upon his people.

By contrast SKS is feeling lower than a snake’s belly. The questions swirling around him are of the opposite ilk. How much longer can this dreary little man carry on? How on earth can he ever cut through as leader of HM Opposition when he can’t pop a metaphor or wear a beanie or struggle in entertaining fashion to open a brolly? Surely he has to go and make way for someone with the buckets of brio needed to take on a bloke who can do all of this and more in his sleep. Names like the Mayor of Greater Manchester, Andy Burnham, are mooted, or the Mayor of South Yorkshire, Dan Jarvis. Or maybe Lisa Nandy.

It was that extreme - hero vs zero. I remember a PMQs shortly afterwards where the stark difference in the status and confidence of the 2 men was writ so large it was kind of embarrassing. Johnson, his ‘born to rule’ voice booming, blond locks akimbo, absolutely full of it, outright toying with the earnest charisma-challenged technocrat with normcore hair and aspirational nasaly tones facing him across the despatch box. One’s heart went out to Keir if one had a heart. It was like watching a joust between a world class Palladium level song & dance man who can also do comedy and a bog standard ordinary person. It really was.

And yet now, here we are. The big switcheroo. Starmer is rampant and Johnson is standing on a stool with his pants down. He’s doing the toying, Johnson is the toy. He has a real shot at the title, Johnson might well be looking at a one-way ticket to Palookaville. Politics eh. Don’t you just love it. :smile:
    Thanks. A terrific description of how it is that for some strange people following politics is one of the great art forms. And from about 2015 until 22.02 today as I write there has almost never been a dull moment. And I cannot begin to foresee when it will become dull again. Not a single one of the issues facing us in, say, 2015 has been resolved or looks likely to be and several more insoluble problems have been added to the mix.

FF43 said:

My assertion is he has gone because he realised however hard he tries to bang the square peg into the round hole that is Northern Ireland it won't fit. And now the penny has dropped...

My hypothesis is that Frost is in league with Truss and this is something like a coup.

That's Liz Remainer Truss?
  • FF43 said:

The only crisis is the failure in Downing Street.

Let Covid rip. It doesn't matter.
    MAIL OM SUNDAY: Now the minister for Brexit walks out #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1472326756589780997/photo/1

FF43 said:

Liz the Remainer Republican Truss :o
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Roger said:

Telegraph just text.

Getting most people boosted will minimise hospitalisations and deaths.

However locking down again could see RefUK and Farage overtake the Tories and destroy the economy and many small businesses and would seal Boris' fate
    You live in a fantasy

The public will embrace it if it is needed and you are only confirming your republican tendencies

The one thing it will do is split the conservative party and send it into opposition for years

Well, to be fair, after Byronic, LadyG, Eadric and Fitz, this is actually his sixth iteration.

So strictly speaking he has fooled everyone who thinks this is his third...
  • rpjs said:

Bryonic, eadric, LadyG and now Leon. Have I missed any? 😉
  • Does @Leon think we're stupid or what
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    rpjs said:

At least five
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,870
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

Saucer full of secrets to come out about No 10 parties.
    Anthony Browne must be worried about holding Grantchester Meadows at the next GE.

Does @Leon think we're stupid or what

The doxing isn't necessary man. We all know the policy - don't ask don't tell.
  • rkrkrk said:

No - he is not an mp

rkrkrk said:

No
    Since he's a Lord and the constitution states the leader 'must be drawn from MPs elected to the House of Commons' he's not eligible anyway.
    I read that Sunak is a teetotaller

No. Just NO
This discussion has been closed.