Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The money moves sharply to the LDs in North Shropshire – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Bong
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 2,722
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

For a small man, Sunak has dropped a massive b****** this week. He may yet make it, but he has damaged himself big time with his California jaunt. And before you correct me, whatever the truth no one will believe him ( except G.). Tarred with the Johnson brush!

Lots of carbon to offset, particularly if by the family executive jet.
    I very much doubt he flew California to London by private jet. Even the billionaires I know tend to fly super long haul on traditional airlines. (Admittedly, right at the pointy end of the plane.)
    The cockpit?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    There's Avoch on the black isle, pron Och, and there's a place in Avoch called Rosehaugh, pron Rose och.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812

Bong

Is that an offer?
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Drakeford closing nightclubs from Dec 27th.

https://twitter.com/danwnews/status/1471601029955399680
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840
    geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

After Omicron, I reckon the next variant's going to be so transmissible it's doubling time actually doubles backwards into the past.

I hope you have all done Ayahuasca as I advised. It gives the most exquisite perspective

Panicked Human: OMFG we're all going to die

God (in a bored but tolerant voice): And?

Panicked Human: This is the the end of the world!

God (sighing): There are infinite other worlds. Have a beer. Sorry I forgot your name?
    Sounds a bit disappointing.
    It is fantastic

The obverse of the cruel nihilism is that glimpse into the deep interior life of reality. If the ayahuasca works, and you don't puke too much, you are privy to the cascading beauty of a conscious universe. A Niagara of a trillion tumbling jewels, forever churning and evanescing, and creating - at least in our prismatic sense - the shot rainbow of human souls
    Or Tuesday as they call it in Prudhoe.
    Fun fact: 98% of PBers don't know how to pronounce Prudhoe.
    Alnwick used to trip me up until I visited it for the first time.

Now, how many PBers can pronounce Slaithwaite correctly?
    There are some good ones in Fife - Anstruther, Kilconquar and even Kirkcaldy trip people up.
    Kirkcudbright.
    Gallipolis, Ohio. Kanawha County, West Virginia. Louisville, Kentucky. Sequim, Washington.
    The thing that always annoys me that Kansas and ArKANSAS are pronounced totally different.

Bloody French.
    and that Kansas City is not in Kansas, and not even in Arkansas.

There are two Kansas Cities in Kansas City. The smaller one is in Kansas. Each has their own mayor.
    Meanwhile Arkansas City is in Kansas. Wonder how they pronounce it?
  • nico679 said:

Higher than normal turnout for a by-election would make the Tories nervous . It would suggest a lot of people wanting to prove a point .

Maybe. But it may also suggest Tories rallying round.

I'm always very sceptical about predictions based on overall turnout. You can infer anything - and sometimes you'll be right, sometimes wrong.

Timing of turnout can be relevant - in general, brisk early mornings and evenings are bad for the Tories, whereas steady flow over the day is good for them (due to retired contingent versus working age). But, witrh working from home, that probably doesn't hold as true.
  • Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

JUST IN: Senior Tories think they have lost North Shropshire.

Hopes of a strongish Labour showing splitting the anti-Tory votes have evaporated, sources say.

Usual caveats of expectation management etc but those I've spoken to sound like someone has pissed on their chips."

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1471542007961198598

I do like that, whenever this kind of thing is reported, it's "Senior Tories".

If you want an insight in these circumstances, the person with the best idea is the nerd on the computer in the corner of the party HQ. It's not the bloody Secretary of State for Transport or whatever - they don't have a scooby.
    That's unfair.

If you wanted somebody who had a scooby about Transport policy you wouldn't be going to the Secretary of State for Transport either.
  • HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

After Omicron, I reckon the next variant's going to be so transmissible it's doubling time actually doubles backwards into the past.

I hope you have all done Ayahuasca as I advised. It gives the most exquisite perspective

God (sighing): There are infinite other worlds. Have a beer. Sorry I forgot your name?
    It is fantastic

The obverse of the cruel nihilism is that glimpse into the deep interior life of reality. If the ayahuasca works, and you don't puke too much, you are privy to the cascading beauty of a conscious universe. A Niagara of a trillion tumbling jewels, forever churning and evanescing, and creating - at least in our prismatic sense - the shot rainbow of human souls

Theydon Bois (HYUFD will know!).
    Theydon Bois is a mixture of new money and old money (it has the highest average house price in Epping Forest). That often influences how you pronounce it
    It's always pronounced "Theydon Boyz" - or at least that's how the automated Central Line announcer lady pronounces it.
    Norman French, innit. Pronounced the way it's spelt. The gallic language went downhill after Parisians got their hands on it, leaving bits out and pronouncing the rest with a lazy nasal drawl. There's a place round here called Beausale, pronounced Bew-sail, not because Warwickshire folk are unlearned but because they have long memories.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

I am so desperate for the Liberals to smash Johnson in the face tonight it is positively unseemly.

Same here, but I'm not optimistic. Not at all.
  • dr_spyn said:

If you are serious about stopping spread etc, you sort of have to ask the question why not now.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,286

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

After due consideration, I have decided to stay up for the byelection result.

When do we get the exit poll?
    @Andy_JS staggered out of a pub in the constituency earlier I believe.

Does that count?
    No exit polls, just gossip.

Bong

Stone age again?
  • geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

There are some good ones in Fife - Anstruther, Kilconquar and even Kirkcaldy trip people up.
    Kirkcudbright.
    Gallipolis, Ohio. Kanawha County, West Virginia. Louisville, Kentucky. Sequim, Washington.
    The thing that always annoys me that Kansas and ArKANSAS are pronounced totally different.

Bloody French.
    and that Kansas City is not in Kansas, and not even in Arkansas.

Pendant alert - there IS a Kansas City, Kansas. It's a suburb of Kansas City, Missouri.

Kansas City, Kansas (Wyandotte County) is traditionally the most Democratic turf in the Sunflower State.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

Bong

You need several watching NUFC.
    De Beauvoir Town, which is around the corner from me in London, is properly pronounced De Beaver Town, hence the colourful beer which was first brewed there.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,857
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Most of that still sounds a lot like puking too much.
    I didn't puke at all. By all accounts I was in very good hands. The best shit administered by the best shamans, all paid for by trillionaires who import the best juice and the best ritual

Worked for me, anyway

I know this comes across as wank, but it honestly was amazing. Pivotal. A life-perspective changing moment

Everyone should get the chance
    Ayahusca is essentially just DMT, right? Available at any rave, just ask the hippie with the biggest dreadlocks. You don't need to be a trillionaire...

Did you see any "clockwork elves"?
    I am in the privileged position of having done both

DMT and ayahuasca

DMT is to to ayahuasca what a fine Shakespearian sonnet is to a great Shakespeare play (Hamlet or Macbeth or Romeo & Juliet). They exhibit the same large vocabulary. The same poetic ingenuity. Enough for you to sense that it is the same author, maybe?

Otherwise, there is no comparison.

One - the sonnet - illuminates an emotion and maybe captures a sense of it; the other shines a brilliant, enduring light on the human condition
    Well it's clearly worked for you.

It was offered to me earlier this year but I declined as it would a) involve travelling a long way (yes, irony duly noted) and b) as someone staring down the cliffs of middle age, I'm not sure my mind is as malleable as it was twenty years ago. Frankly, I've been in a depressive funk since around Jan/Feb and I always found that bad head space = bad trips.

Perhaps next year...
    Mate, I've been depressed - on and off - for about 16 months. Sometimes severely, sometimes just a bit meh. I have had hints of suicidality. And also weeks of feeling fine, but then the dark void appears again.

This is not normal for me. I am used to being down, but I normally get the highs as well. This recent gloom feels much more relentless and it is partly due to the fucking plague and partly due to life events (many of them closely related to the plague)

I have no idea if this NEW post-ayahuasca mood will last but it DOES feel like I have at least nudged the mental needle. I am in a different groove. If I top myself next week, sorry, I was wrong

And I felt every single fear you now feel: I am too old, I have too much shit to stir, I don't want the bad trip, it is scary. All of that was and is true, and yet I had a great experience (again, I say this without tempting fate, I hope I don't open my wrists tomorrow)

Take the Risk. You are never too old for a bit of new religion
    Good advice. I too have ups and downs but this year has been one long, hard slog. A whole year of wet weekends spent in a leaky caravan in Skegness.

I wouldn't have dared touch a psychedelic six months ago, but now I'm thinking an experience may well be worth it. Kill or cure, either way, I can't be doing with another year like the last one.
    EXACTLY like me!!

Try it. Can it get any worse? It might just get better. And it might get a lot better. If we cannot expand our literal horizons, we can explore within our souls, and no one can stop us with a fucking quarantine
    Midget gems for me.

De Beauvoir Town, which is around the corner from me in London, is properly pronounced De Beaver Town, hence the colourful beer which was first brewed there.

Love Beavertown Brewery
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,755

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Kirkcudbright.
    I raise you Milngavie.

One of my best friends (east coast Scottish as the day is long) as best man to his brother who was marrying a weegie pronounced it as it looks in his speech, to much hooting.
    Garioch - short but un-guessable.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,598

dr_spyn said:

Bang goes my plan to get off my tits for New Years in Abergavenny.
    You're only 25 miles from Hereford, where you'll be able to get absolutely **** faced.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    dr_spyn said:

If you are going to do it, do it now. Omicron is spreading rapidly. Why wait 12 more days?
  • Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    1m
    I: UK shuts down in bid to save Christmas #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

dr_spyn said:

You might laugh but there's loads of jobs in Cardiff that depend on nightlife. Don't see how he funds this without Rishi agreeing or Wales paying for it with a special tax.
  • dr_spyn said:

If you are going to do it, do it now. Omicron is spreading rapidly. Why wait 12 more days?
    Bonkers.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279

dr_spyn said:

Just waiting for that old fool to close down the hills and mountains again.
  • dr_spyn said:

All that is going to happen is everybody makes sure they are out this weekend and run up to Christmas, and then house parties from then on.
  • dr_spyn said:

You're only 25 miles from Hereford, where you'll be able to get absolutely **** faced.
    If Johnson doesn't close them next week.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    South Africa has just reported 24,758 cases that is down from 26,389 reported yesterday and and compares to 22,388 last Thursday.

Never read too much in to one days data, but this is an indication that SA as a whole may be peeking/have peeked.
  • Alistair said:

Alistair said:

These are all easy Scottish place names you are suggesting.

Now, if you know how to pronounce Glenzier then I will be impressed.

Glingur.
    Someone has been looking up phonetic spelling on Wikipedia.
    I'm quite the expert in Scottish names thanks to having Scottish bosses for most of my professional career.

They were absolutely no fecking help when I had to deal with a Scotsman with the surname Balloch.
    I thought that was a Pakistani surname. I went to school with an Altaf Baloch.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,857

Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

Hopes of a strongish Labour showing splitting the anti-Tory votes have evaporated, sources say.

Usual caveats of expectation management etc but those I've spoken to sound like someone has pissed on their chips."

I probably should have held my nerve rather than taking the profit.

Come on Yellow Peril. 🔶
    Oh so you did lump on them. That's a relief.
  • De Beauvoir Town, which is around the corner from me in London, is properly pronounced De Beaver Town, hence the colourful beer which was first brewed there.

Coffee shop across the street from me offers a "Chumley" (frappucino) in tribute of the old aristo English family, Cholmondeley.

Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

If you want an insight in these circumstances, the person with the best idea is the nerd on the computer in the corner of the party HQ. It's not the bloody Secretary of State for Transport or whatever - they don't have a scooby.
    Shapps has never had a scooby to be fair.

One hopes that the story tomorrow morning is that the Tories would have got away with it, if it wasn’t for those pesky Libs.
    I didn’t get a single bloody like for this.
    I’m wasted here.

Love Beavertown Brewery
    Yeah, founded by a certain Robert Plant's son!
  • dr_spyn said:

Nah Boris is going to wait until January....
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    Ld 4/6
    Con 6/4
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

dr_spyn said:

It may well have peeked and be falling by then!!!!
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    There must surely be a decent politics PhD. in a study of general reliability and efficacy of internet rumours and social media gossip in predicting electoral results.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,156

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Only those that have been there know how to pronounce Evesham.
    My parents were posh Welsh and it was Eve-sham. All the skanky Brummie kids at school with me called it Eve-E- shum. As a matter of fact I was on a landfill site at Throckmorton on Tuesday.
    We shared a dining table on a cruise with Mr. Considerably Richer Than You, who lived there and pronounced it Eve-E-shum. Good to know he was really just a skanky Brummie!
    Having read your post with mine enclosed I have just realised my oxymoron- "posh Welsh"!
    Friend of mine - his mum and dad lived there. I recall it as Evsh'm with a long e. Am I wrong?
    That's the Scots pronounciation.
    Is that a serious comment!? I ask only because my friend's mum was Scots.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    UK Chancellor Rishi Sunak disappointed leaders in the hospitality sector by missing an online roundtable discussion, adding to existing frustration that he has failed to offer the sector new financial support https://on.ft.com/3scWjfk
  • Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

My parents were posh Welsh and it was Eve-sham. All the skanky Brummie kids at school with me called it Eve-E- shum. As a matter of fact I was on a landfill site at Throckmorton on Tuesday.
    We shared a dining table on a cruise with Mr. Considerably Richer Than You, who lived there and pronounced it Eve-E-shum. Good to know he was really just a skanky Brummie!
    Having read your post with mine enclosed I have just realised my oxymoron- "posh Welsh"!
    Friend of mine - his mum and dad lived there. I recall it as Evsh'm with a long e. Am I wrong?
    The locals pronounce it with three syllables.

Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

One hopes that the story tomorrow morning is that the Tories would have got away with it, if it wasn’t for those pesky Libs.
    I’m wasted here.
    You have to be wasted to think that was funny.
  • https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1471603737621934083

Well they ran a paper candidate campaign, so it's Lib Dems vs Tories now
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,884
    BigRich said:

dr_spyn said:

It may well have peeked and be falling by then!!!!
    Well quite. I’d not be surprised if the peak is very early Jan. This is going to be a quick, wild ride, that no one wanted to be on.
  • HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Theydon Bois is a mixture of new money and old money (it has the highest average house price in Epping Forest). That often influences how you pronounce it
    It's always pronounced "Theydon Boyz" - or at least that's how the automated Central Line announcer lady pronounces it.
    They need to get with the times and adopt a gender neutral pronunciation.
    The other Central Line location is Hainault, which has a different origin than Hainaut (no "l") in Belgium/France.
  • A week or so I made a joke about pigs in blanket oversupply blocking the supply chain.

BBC News at 10 has just featured this precise problem. No pub/cafe wants them now - thanks to the cancellations.
  • Judging by the North Shropshire live blog, the locals are extraordinarily dog loving, even my English standards.
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

I think so. I have only ever heard it called Eve-sham or Eve-E- shum.

A week or so I made a joke about pigs in blanket oversupply blocking the supply chain.

BBC News at 10 has just featured this precise problem. No pub/cafe wants them now - thanks to the cancellations.

That doesn't sound like a problem that we as a nation can't solve.
  • Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

I’m wasted here.
    Unlike the good people of Abergavenny.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    Tory backbenchers are in danger of coming of a bit like the nutty Republicans....

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1471604083979169796?t=Q-iKbwFRQlLOi1qXp6Ii8A&s=19
  • dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Friockheim, Angus can trip the unwary..
    Waiting for @RochdalePioneers to explain to us the pronunciation of Gardenstown in Aberdeenshire.
    "Gardenstown". In English...
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    There is a local by-election in Shropshire tonight. But it is a Labour seat so may not give us much steer.
  • dr_spyn said:

Nah Boris is going to wait until January....
    True. I am sticking to my 3rd Jan prediction.

Lucky I have plenty of bog roll.

Bit worried about the wine stocks though.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082

A week or so I made a joke about pigs in blanket oversupply blocking the supply chain.

It didn't need an official lockdown. Folk ain't daft.
    It is not terribly well known that Highgate is pronounced High-git.

I don’t think I’ve ever head someone say this in real life, although the lady on the tube does.
    Its only very recently that I was informed that Southwark isn’t pronounced South-Wark
  • kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

Come on Yellow Peril. 🔶
    Yeah I did. Well I laid the Tories, which is essentially the same thing.

Tonight I laid the LDs to take the profit as I'm not feeling 100% tonight. I still think the LDs will do it, but I can't complain with a locked-in profit.

As a result my best result financially would be Labour coming through the middle. Not going to happen, but since both bets were lays any other party like Labour winning would be a double-winner for me. ;)
  • HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

The other Central Line location is Hainault, which has a different origin than Hainaut (no "l") in Belgium/France.
    Do trains still run to Ongar, the famous location for the novel Look Back In Ongar?
    Scott_xP said:

UK Chancellor Rishi Sunak disappointed leaders in the hospitality sector by missing an online roundtable discussion, adding to existing frustration that he has failed to offer the sector new financial support https://on.ft.com/3scWjfk

I don't see why Johnson should take all the flak. Sunak has been asleep at the wheel.
  • A week or so I made a joke about pigs in blanket oversupply blocking the supply chain.

I'm playing a low stakes game of chicken waiting for heavy discounts on party food at the upmarket supermarkets. Stuff the freezer, and it'll be M&S canapés all the way until the Platinum Jubilee at least.
  • Its only very recently that I was informed that Southwark isn’t pronounced South-Wark

Greenwich isn't pronounced Green-wich.
  • JACK_W said:

I wish the PB by-election hold-outs a profitable night and bid all pleasant dreams. :smile:

Better go to bed before the cricket starts, then.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    DW News - Vaccine supply problems in Germany...

https://youtu.be/_D4gA8BQt7g

Their plan was to take until March to complete boosters.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094

nico679 said:

Higher than normal turnout for a by-election would make the Tories nervous . It would suggest a lot of people wanting to prove a point .

Maybe. But it may also suggest Tories rallying round.

I'm always very sceptical about predictions based on overall turnout. You can infer anything - and sometimes you'll be right, sometimes wrong.

Timing of turnout can be relevant - in general, brisk early mornings and evenings are bad for the Tories, whereas steady flow over the day is good for them (due to retired contingent versus working age). But, witrh working from home, that probably doesn't hold as true.
    It’s been reported as, and is seen as, a critical and potentially portentous by-election; in a settled area like Shropshire I think a lot of voters will want to be part of it, whether protesting or not. So I’d expect a reasonable turnout and don’t read much into it. If the turnout is low it probably hits the LibDems, since they’ll have an army of people trying to get those who pledged support out to vote. If turnout is low it probably means they’ve failed.
  • NS live blog

10:17pm
    For those of you following us, the word at the count is that it will be a 3am call for the results.

That's enough time to digest whether it is business as usual for North Shropshire or a huge body blow to Prime Minister Boris Johnson.
  • MaxPB said:

LOL! 😋

I seem to recall a few months ago people saying there'd be a pigs in blanket shortage due to staffing shortages, along with a shortage of turkeys and more. That doesn't seem to have materialised, has it?

• Freddie Sayers
    @freddiesayers
    ·
    7m
    Welsh Government hoping to improve on the huge success of its vaccine passports policy with a 'one last boogie before we shut the clubs' Christmas social mixing incentive
    Quote Tweet
    Politics For All
    @PoliticsForAlI
  • Its only very recently that I was informed that Southwark isn’t pronounced South-Wark

As a kid, I thought I lived in Acne.
  • dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Friockheim, Angus can trip the unwary..
    Waiting for @RochdalePioneers to explain to us the pronunciation of Gardenstown in Aberdeenshire.
    "Gardenstown". In English...
    Local to me with odd pronunciations?
    Live in New Pitsligo - either "Pitslyga" or "Cheeyap"
    Fraserburgh is "the Broch" with that soft chhh like in Loch
    Crovie is "Crivvey"
    And my favourite Peterhead - "Pierheeeed"
  • Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Eve-er-shum is what the locals think it's called.
    BBC News: Tories "not confident".
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,094
    BBC say Tories are nervous, LibDems say it is close.

Used to tell a Bostonian political hack friend of mine (a Wise Guy as well as a Potato Head) that the proper pronunciation of Falmouth, Mass was "Foul-mouth".
  • IanB2 said:

Yellow peril nailed on....
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    Chatting to a friend in Vienna about how their approach is working. They've basically gone for a sharp division - if you refuse to be vaccinated, you basically have to stay at home, but if you have full vaccination you're allowed to do almost anything - the restaurants and Christmas markets are full, big concerts every night (albeit with masks). The far right organised some big anti-vaccine demos with up to 40,000 people, but have been recommending quack cures like horse dewormers which have actually killed two people, so (as with Trump and bleach) they're losing public credibility.

Nightclubs still shut though, and if you have more than 4 people at home you're responsible for keeping track of who's here and reporting the full list if anyone falls ill. Schools are quarantined if anyone falls ill. So an odd mixture, but she says it's seemed to be working, with cases falling steadily.

Will Omicron change things? Probably...

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

Come on Yellow Peril. 🔶

Tonight I laid the LDs to take the profit as I'm not feeling 100% tonight. I still think the LDs will do it, but I can't complain with a locked-in profit.

As a result my best result financially would be Labour coming through the middle. Not going to happen, but since both bets were lays any other party like Labour winning would be a double-winner for me. ;)
    All of them?
  • MaxPB said:

Funny how things change. Heavily processed products like Pigs in Blankets were going to be in mega short supply back when there was no solution to the labour crisis. Now they will be available cheap because all the catering packs are up for sale.
  • Andy_JS said:

BBC News: Tories "not confident".

Sgt. Sunil: Alright, sweethearts, you're a team and there's nothin' to worry about. We come here, and we're gonna conquer, and we're gonna kick some, is that understood? That's what we're gonna do, sweethearts, we are going to go and get some. All right, people, on the ready line! Are ya lean?

PB Tories: Yeah!

Sgt. Sunil: Are ya mean?

PB Tories: Yeah!

Sgt. Sunil: WHAT ARE YOU?

PB Tories: Lean and mean!

Sgt. Sunil: WHAT ARE YOU? Thompson! HYUFD! Get on the ready line, PB Tories, get some today! Get on the ready line! Move it out! Move it out, goddammit! Get hot! One, two, three, four! Get out, get out, get out! Move it out, move it out, move it out! Move it out, move it out, move it out! One, two, three, four, five, six, seven! Aaarrrrr, absolutely badasses! Let's pack 'em in! Get in there!
  • Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

Come on Yellow Peril. 🔶

All of them?
    Only Boris can reach that many voters.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,626

MaxPB said:

LOL! 😋

I seem to recall a few months ago people saying there'd be a pigs in blanket shortage due to staffing shortages, along with a shortage of turkeys and more. That doesn't seem to have materialised, has it?
    I was told by someone in the trade that there are still staffing problems with the low end producers - worst pay, worst conditions, cheapest products.

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Eve-er-shum is what the locals think it's called.
    So they're really just posh Brummies.
  • IanB2 said:

Yellow peril nailed on....
    Yes. Expectation management at play...
  • HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Do trains still run to Ongar, the famous location for the novel Look Back In Ongar?
    The Epping-Ongar bit is now a heritage line. I don't know if it's easy to obtain John Osbourne's publications nearby, or if there's a Book Lack In Ongar.
  • THE SUN; It’s beginning to look a Lock like Christmas #TomorrowsPapersToday https://t.co/jdqLv8marz
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    Ld 1.75
    Con 2.26
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

That first phrase is pure Betjeman.

• sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    Jackie Weaver has just endorsed Helen Morgan. A bit late I think.
  • MaxPB said:

LOL! 😋

I was told by someone in the trade that there are still staffing problems with the low end producers - worst pay, worst conditions, cheapest products.
    Thats absolutely the case. The industry coped with the production issues by reducing the product range. You can make more of less variants than you can lots of variants when capacity is tight.

None of it matters now. Will be able to buy 1kg sacks of the things for used LF tests.

MaxPB said:

LOL! 😋

Happily not, the most likely issue is going to be staff shortages and delivery driver shortages in the few days up to Christmas. Lots of people are getting the Rona right now, anecdotally around half of my friends have had a positive LFT in the last few days from various different events. That's London but the effect will ripple out and with worse timing for the rest of the country. Not getting a positive test result in the next 10 days will be the new national sport.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    Lib Dem canvass data from across the constituency on Friday suggested: LDs on 43% & Con 37%

Big health warning as it ain't scientific

https://twitter.com/REWearmouth/status/1471607826522984448
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,718
    Source says Tories leaked lots of votes but better than expected performance from Labour depriving LDs of a win

https://twitter.com/KingRiach/status/1471606078320398339?s=20
    BBC Midlands News: Labour saying turnout was higher than they were expecting.
  • Re: place name pronunciations, years ago during a recount ordered by the US House of Representatives, hilarity ensued (as reflected in the official record) when congressmen discovered that the small town of Paoli, Indiana, was called "Pay-o-la" by the locals.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,626

dr_spyn said:

If you are serious about stopping spread etc, you sort of have to ask the question why not now.
    The guesstimate that I have heard, which I agree with, is that it fits with what Witty et al talked about in the past - a COVID budget.

Some things increase R. Some things decrease R. So you "spend" on people meeting relatives. And "save" elsewhere.
  • What's the best result for Labour....a small Tory win which keeps Boris in place?
This discussion has been closed.