Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The money moves sharply to the LDs in North Shropshire – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531

Foxy said:

Omicron has knackered my Fantasy Football.

Are they a new brazilian signing for Newcastle?
    Yeah, a real Joelinton!
  • Options
    Belvoir ......
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

After Omicron, I reckon the next variant's going to be so transmissible it's doubling time actually doubles backwards into the past.

I hope you have all done Ayahuasca as I advised. It gives the most exquisite perspective

Panicked Human: OMFG we're all going to die

God (in a bored but tolerant voice): And?

Panicked Human: This is the the end of the world!

God (sighing): There are infinite other worlds. Have a beer. Sorry I forgot your name?
    Sounds a bit disappointing.
    It is fantastic

The obverse of the cruel nihilism is that glimpse into the deep interior life of reality. If the ayahuasca works, and you don't puke too much, you are privy to the cascading beauty of a conscious universe. A Niagara of a trillion tumbling jewels, forever churning and evanescing, and creating - at least in our prismatic sense - the shot rainbow of human souls
    Or Tuesday as they call it in Prudhoe.
    Fun fact: 98% of PBers don't know how to pronounce Prudhoe.
    Prue Dough?
    Prudda
    Good to know, should I ever return to working in and around the energy industry.
    Or become the station announcer at Newcastle.
    Hang on: is Prudhoe Bay (Alaska) pronounced differently or the same?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943

EXCLUSIVE: Tory Grant Shapps' staff 'boozed and danced' in 'lockdown-breaking' office party

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/grant-shapps-staff-boozed-danced-25718548

Civil servants though not Tory staff or activists and Shapps was not there he says
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

After Omicron, I reckon the next variant's going to be so transmissible it's doubling time actually doubles backwards into the past.

I hope you have all done Ayahuasca as I advised. It gives the most exquisite perspective

God (sighing): There are infinite other worlds. Have a beer. Sorry I forgot your name?
    It is fantastic

The obverse of the cruel nihilism is that glimpse into the deep interior life of reality. If the ayahuasca works, and you don't puke too much, you are privy to the cascading beauty of a conscious universe. A Niagara of a trillion tumbling jewels, forever churning and evanescing, and creating - at least in our prismatic sense - the shot rainbow of human souls
    Alnwick used to trip me up until I visited it for the first time.

Now, how many PBers can pronounce Slaithwaite correctly?
    Theydon Bois (HYUFD will know!).
    Only those that have been there know how to pronounce Evesham.
    And very few visitors know how to pronounce Wherwell
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited December 2021
    NS: Con edging back in a little on BF

Con 2.34
    Ld 1.72
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

On a trip up north, my dad asked me to navigate to ‘Annick’. Which I did. He was not amused when we reached said village, as he was wanting directions to Alnwick...
    Norfolk has Happisburgh, known as Haysbrough, and Costessey, known as Cossey.
    And never forget Wolfardisworthy in Devon...
    Happisburgh is beloved by archaeologists. It is the site of the currently oldest evidence for hominids in Northern Europe - around 900,000 years ago. Including the earliest hominid footprints outside Africa - around 800,000 years old.
  • Options

Belvoir ......

Beaver.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

There are some good ones in Fife - Anstruther, Kilconquar and even Kirkcaldy trip people up.
    Friockheim, Angus can trip the unwary..
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Come on VAR.
    Boo!
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651

JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

The Blues steal a win - An omen?

The Lib Dems hit back ... Recount?
    Isn't that game Blues vs Blues?

That could be an omen too.
    Nah .. the yellow peril play in any colour for a win .. :wink:
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

Jack,

Any predictions for tonight? And the fall out for Johnson?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,936
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Most of that still sounds a lot like puking too much.
    I didn't puke at all. By all accounts I was in very good hands. The best shit administered by the best shamans, all paid for by trillionaires who import the best juice and the best ritual

Worked for me, anyway

I know this comes across as wank, but it honestly was amazing. Pivotal. A life-perspective changing moment

Everyone should get the chance
    Ayahusca is essentially just DMT, right? Available at any rave, just ask the hippie with the biggest dreadlocks. You don't need to be a trillionaire...

Did you see any "clockwork elves"?
    I am in the privileged position of having done both

DMT and ayahuasca

DMT is to to ayahuasca what a fine Shakespearian sonnet is to a great Shakespeare play (Hamlet or Macbeth or Romeo & Juliet). They exhibit the same large vocabulary. The same poetic ingenuity. Enough for you to sense that it is the same author, maybe?

Otherwise, there is no comparison.

One - the sonnet - illuminates an emotion and maybe captures a sense of it; the other shines a brilliant, enduring light on the human condition
    Well it's clearly worked for you.

It was offered to me earlier this year but I declined as it would a) involve travelling a long way (yes, irony duly noted) and b) as someone staring down the cliffs of middle age, I'm not sure my mind is as malleable as it was twenty years ago. Frankly, I've been in a depressive funk since around Jan/Feb and I always found that bad head space = bad trips.

Perhaps next year...
    Mate, I've been depressed - on and off - for about 16 months. Sometimes severely, sometimes just a bit meh. I have had hints of suicidality. And also weeks of feeling fine, but then the dark void appears again.

This is not normal for me. I am used to being down, but I normally get the highs as well. This recent gloom feels much more relentless and it is partly due to the fucking plague and partly due to life events (many of them closely related to the plague)

I have no idea if this NEW post-ayahuasca mood will last but it DOES feel like I have at least nudged the mental needle. I am in a different groove. If I top myself next week, sorry, I was wrong

And I felt every single fear you now feel: I am too old, I have too much shit to stir, I don't want the bad trip, it is scary. All of that was and is true, and yet I had a great experience (again, I say this without tempting fate, I hope I don't open my wrists tomorrow)

Take the Risk. You are never too old for a bit of new religion
    Good advice. I too have ups and downs but this year has been one long, hard slog. A whole year of wet weekends spent in a leaky caravan in Skegness.

I wouldn't have dared touch a psychedelic six months ago, but now I'm thinking an experience may well be worth it. Kill or cure, either way, I can't be doing with another year like the last one.
  • Options
    North Shropshire By-Election Live Blog

9.22pm - No doubt the candidates will be starting to make their way over to the count by now.

So with less than an hour to go until voting closes, let's have a quick run through the next phase of election day - the count.

Once again, the election count will take place at Shrewsbury Sports Village in the Sundorne area of the county town.

Ballot boxes from across the constituency will be taken there where they will be counted starting as soon as possible from 10pm.

The sports village has been used for all of Shropshire's general election counts since 2017 when all three constituency counts were brought together. Prior to that the 2015 count for North Shropshire was held at Whitchurch Civic Centre.

Now the all-important question is - what time time will we find out who is the new MP for North Shropshire?

Well in previous years the result has come in around 4am - give or take half an hour.

But it really is anybody's guess.

In previous years turnout has been around 68 per cent, but other by-elections across the country in recent times have seen much lower turnouts. However, judging by the stream of voters heading to polling stations today, the turnout could be much higher and therefore, the vote could take longer.

Add into that mix the possibility of an incredibly close battle between the top two or three parties and there may be calls for recounts which will drag out the wait even further.

But one thing we would hope for is that by the time we all wake up in the morning, we will know who the new MP is.

https://www.bordercountiesadvertizer.co.uk/news/19788472.live-blog-north-shropshire-by-election/
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,966

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

There are some good ones in Fife - Anstruther, Kilconquar and even Kirkcaldy trip people up.
    Friockheim, Angus can trip the unwary..
    Waiting for @RochdalePioneers to explain to us the pronunciation of Gardenstown in Aberdeenshire.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Isn't it Slawit? Mind you I'm from Birmingham so I can't even pronounce my own name.
  • Options
    Ver-sallys Kentucky...
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

On a trip up north, my dad asked me to navigate to ‘Annick’. Which I did. He was not amused when we reached said village, as he was wanting directions to Alnwick...
    Happisburgh is beloved by archaeologists. It is the site of the currently oldest evidence for hominids in Northern Europe - around 900,000 years ago. Including the earliest hominid footprints outside Africa - around 800,000 years old.
    Used to be a superb summer solstice beer festival there. Camped by the pub, drank till late then down to the beach at dawn. Happy days.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Theydon Bois is a mixture of new money and old money (it has the highest average house price in Epping Forest). That often influences how you pronounce it
    Theydon Bois. Isn't he now in the House of Lords?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Isn't it Slawit? Mind you I'm from Birmingham so I can't even pronounce my own name.
    Strange.
    I always hear your posts in a Speedy Gonzales voice.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Slahwit.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

9.22pm - No doubt the candidates will be starting to make their way over to the count by now.

So with less than an hour to go until voting closes, let's have a quick run through the next phase of election day - the count.

Once again, the election count will take place at Shrewsbury Sports Village in the Sundorne area of the county town.

Ballot boxes from across the constituency will be taken there where they will be counted starting as soon as possible from 10pm.

The sports village has been used for all of Shropshire's general election counts since 2017 when all three constituency counts were brought together. Prior to that the 2015 count for North Shropshire was held at Whitchurch Civic Centre.

Now the all-important question is - what time time will we find out who is the new MP for North Shropshire?

Well in previous years the result has come in around 4am - give or take half an hour.

In previous years turnout has been around 68 per cent, but other by-elections across the country in recent times have seen much lower turnouts. However, judging by the stream of voters heading to polling stations today, the turnout could be much higher and therefore, the vote could take longer.

Add into that mix the possibility of an incredibly close battle between the top two or three parties and there may be calls for recounts which will drag out the wait even further.

But one thing we would hope for is that by the time we all wake up in the morning, we will know who the new MP is.

https://www.bordercountiesadvertizer.co.uk/news/19788472.live-blog-north-shropshire-by-election/

I would have thought the higher the turnout, the better the likely outcome for the Tories.
  • Options
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135
    Here's one where the pronunciation is phonetic because it's now written down officially, but what is the proper name? - Bo'ness
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Most of that still sounds a lot like puking too much.
    I didn't puke at all. By all accounts I was in very good hands. The best shit administered by the best shamans, all paid for by trillionaires who import the best juice and the best ritual

Worked for me, anyway

I know this comes across as wank, but it honestly was amazing. Pivotal. A life-perspective changing moment

Everyone should get the chance
    Ayahusca is essentially just DMT, right? Available at any rave, just ask the hippie with the biggest dreadlocks. You don't need to be a trillionaire...

Did you see any "clockwork elves"?
    I am in the privileged position of having done both

DMT and ayahuasca

DMT is to to ayahuasca what a fine Shakespearian sonnet is to a great Shakespeare play (Hamlet or Macbeth or Romeo & Juliet). They exhibit the same large vocabulary. The same poetic ingenuity. Enough for you to sense that it is the same author, maybe?

Otherwise, there is no comparison.

One - the sonnet - illuminates an emotion and maybe captures a sense of it; the other shines a brilliant, enduring light on the human condition
    Well it's clearly worked for you.

It was offered to me earlier this year but I declined as it would a) involve travelling a long way (yes, irony duly noted) and b) as someone staring down the cliffs of middle age, I'm not sure my mind is as malleable as it was twenty years ago. Frankly, I've been in a depressive funk since around Jan/Feb and I always found that bad head space = bad trips.

Perhaps next year...
    Mate, I've been depressed - on and off - for about 16 months. Sometimes severely, sometimes just a bit meh. I have had hints of suicidality. And also weeks of feeling fine, but then the dark void appears again.

This is not normal for me. I am used to being down, but I normally get the highs as well. This recent gloom feels much more relentless and it is partly due to the fucking plague and partly due to life events (many of them closely related to the plague)

I have no idea if this NEW post-ayahuasca mood will last but it DOES feel like I have at least nudged the mental needle. I am in a different groove. If I top myself next week, sorry, I was wrong

And I felt every single fear you now feel: I am too old, I have too much shit to stir, I don't want the bad trip, it is scary. All of that was and is true, and yet I had a great experience (again, I say this without tempting fate, I hope I don't open my wrists tomorrow)

Take the Risk. You are never too old for a bit of new religion
    Good advice. I too have ups and downs but this year has been one long, hard slog. A whole year of wet weekends spent in a leaky caravan in Skegness.

I wouldn't have dared touch a psychedelic six months ago, but now I'm thinking an experience may well be worth it. Kill or cure, either way, I can't be doing with another year like the last one.
    EXACTLY like me!!

Try it. Can it get any worse? It might just get better. And it might get a lot better. If we cannot expand our literal horizons, we can explore within our souls, and no one can stop us with a fucking quarantine
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Theydon Bois is a mixture of new money and old money (it has the highest average house price in Epping Forest). That often influences how you pronounce it
    Theydon Bois. Isn't he now in the House of Lords?
    Theydon Bois. Isn't that the accusation against the Catholic Priesthood?
  • Options

8.41pm

It's been a long day - and it's set to be a long night - but voters have less than 90 minutes to cast their ballot papers before the count begins.

There are still some updates to be had with Sir Ed Davey, leader of the Liberal Democrats praising the efforts of those who have supported Helen Morgan's campaign over the last few weeks.

Meanwhile, residents will no doubt be looking forward to filling their recycling bins daily with election material...
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

By "yellow peril" do you mean "full of piss syndrome"? Always prevalent any election season or political situation!
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    A League One or League Two club ="Major Sports Franchise".
    Hope they read up on the Trades Description Act.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    Relatedly, how did a human soul create things, to this extent?

"How tf did Beethoven come up with THIS"

https://twitter.com/writtenbyirene/status/1468645931214123010?s=20
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

My parents were posh Welsh and it was Eve-sham. All the skanky Brummie kids at school with me called it Eve-E- shum. As a matter of fact I was on a landfill site at Throckmorton on Tuesday.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

900,000 years ago it was called Ug but pronounced Ug.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Kirkcudbright.
    I raise you Milngavie.

One of my best friends (east coast Scottish as the day is long) as best man to his brother who was marrying a weegie pronounced it as it looks in his speech, to much hooting.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Slahwit.
    That's what I said. It's my accent.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    ping said:

JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

Jack,

Any predictions for tonight? And the fall out for Johnson?
    Sadly I haven't followed this by-election closely. My instinct is that this isn't a Chesham type scenario and the 23,000 maj is one heck of a mountain to climb. Con HOLD but with a vastly reduced majority. Presently I have no betting dog in this fight.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Here's one where the pronunciation is phonetic because it's now written down officially, but what is the proper name? - Bo'ness

Borrowstounness.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Strange.
    Arriba! Arriba!
  • Options

I like the fact the live blogger is called Barrie White. I trust him to tell me who's first, who's last, and everything.

But what candidate heads to the count 40 minutes before polls close? For a start, polls haven't closed. But, even then, any sane and serious Parliamentary candidate waits until they get a call to tell them the situation they're walking into before turning up.
  • Options
    Leading from the front, by example. Again. Like sitting alone at the funeral.

Whilst Johnson and his cronies have one party after another.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

There are a surprising number of words in modern English that can be traced to the Stone Age
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

My parents were posh Welsh and it was Eve-sham. All the skanky Brummie kids at school with me called it Eve-E- shum. As a matter of fact I was on a landfill site at Throckmorton on Tuesday.
    We shared a dining table on a cruise with Mr. Considerably Richer Than You, who lived there and pronounced it Eve-E-shum. Good to know he was really just a skanky Brummie!
  • Options

I like the fact the live blogger is called Barrie White. I trust him to tell me who's first, who's last, and everything.

But what candidate heads to the count 40 minutes before polls close? For a start, polls haven't closed. But, even then, any sane and serious Parliamentary candidate waits until they get a call to tell them the situation they're walking into before turning up.
    Gonna slip my vote into your tight slot, baybeee!
    Yeeahh!!!
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Kirkcudbright.
    I raise you Milngavie.

One of my best friends (east coast Scottish as the day is long) as best man to his brother who was marrying a weegie pronounced it as it looks in his speech, to much hooting.
    I don't know what's more confusing to an East Coaster, the pronunciation or the fact that Glasgow has a posh bit.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    edited December 2021
    Still think the LDs will just shade it in North Shropshire, same as my prediction this morning.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Kirkcudbright.
    Gallipolis, Ohio. Kanawha County, West Virginia. Louisville, Kentucky. Sequim, Washington.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Prue Dough?
    Prudda
    Good to know, should I ever return to working in and around the energy industry.
    Or become the station announcer at Newcastle.
    Hang on: is Prudhoe Bay (Alaska) pronounced differently or the same?
    Going by how the Real Housewives pronounce "The Berkshires" they probably say it to sound like toe.
  • Options
    Charles said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

There are a surprising number of words in modern English that can be traced to the Stone Age
    Is Stone one of them?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Aren't you confusing Ug with Awk?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Huge point for EFC. Team full of teenagers. Worked superbly hard, defended like Titans and took our chance.
    Jarrad Branthwaite goal and superb defensively on his debut. Impressive on the ball too. MOTM.
    Anthony Gordon top class too.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Kirkcudbright.
    Gallipolis, Ohio. Kanawha County, West Virginia. Louisville, Kentucky. Sequim, Washington.
    The thing that always annoys me that Kansas and ArKANSAS are pronounced totally different.

Bloody French.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Charles said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Are you about to recount your own, storied lineage? All the way back to Og of Bog?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

We shared a dining table on a cruise with Mr. Considerably Richer Than You, who lived there and pronounced it Eve-E-shum. Good to know he was really just a skanky Brummie!
    Having read your post with mine enclosed I have just realised my oxymoron- "posh Welsh"!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    "Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

JUST IN: Senior Tories think they have lost North Shropshire.

Hopes of a strongish Labour showing splitting the anti-Tory votes have evaporated, sources say.

Usual caveats of expectation management etc but those I've spoken to sound like someone has pissed on their chips."

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1471542007961198598
  • Options
    Trent Alexander-Arnold with an absolute thunderbastard.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

Hopes of a strongish Labour showing splitting the anti-Tory votes have evaporated, sources say.

Usual caveats of expectation management etc but those I've spoken to sound like someone has pissed on their chips."

We had that before. I’ll believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

That was posted 3 1/2 hrs ago
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

We had that before. I’ll believe it when I see it.
    Liberals drifting downwards at moment.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Strange.
    Arriba! Arriba!
    Gringo pussycat :lol:
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

Wot- no press purdah?

Off you go you Tories, vote, vote, vote for Boris Johnson!
  • Options
    ping said:

Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

That was posted 3 1/2 hrs ago
    No surprise @Gardenwalker's heard it before tbf.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Charles said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Are you about to recount your own, storied lineage? All the way back to Og of Bog?
    Og was part of the cadet branch I believe.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

These are all easy Scottish place names you are suggesting.

Now, if you know how to pronounce Glenzier then I will be impressed.

Glingur.
    Someone has been looking up phonetic spelling on Wikipedia.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

I probably should have held my nerve rather than taking the profit.

Come on Yellow Peril. 🔶
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,734
    Higher than normal turnout for a by-election would make the Tories nervous . It would suggest a lot of people wanting to prove a point .
  • Options

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    33s
    INDEPENDENT DIGITAL: Johnson ‘joined No10 party’ in first lockdown #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Kirkcudbright.
    “Ng” is a common consonant pairing in Maori which can’t quite be transliterated into English.

Place-names include Ngariuwahia and, even better, Ngawha, which includes the also difficult to transliterate “wh”.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

It's always pronounced "Theydon Boyz" - or at least that's how the automated Central Line announcer lady pronounces it.
  • Options
    North Shropshire live blog:

9:46pm
    As we look to wrap up polling day, let's take one last look at what the bookmakers have to say.

In contrast to what we've been seeing for the last 24 hours, odds on the Liberal Democrats winning have shortened in the last hour or so.

Skybet, Paddypower and Betfair all have Helen Morgan as 4/7 favourite to win, while Coral and Ladbrokes have her at 8/15.

The Conservatives are seeing their odds lengthen with Coral and Ladbrokes offering 11/8 as their best price.

Meanwhile, the Labour Party has drifted with Paddypower and Betfair offering 50/1.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

I probably should have held my nerve rather than taking the profit.

Come on Yellow Peril. 🔶
    I'm holding my nerve.

But as I am shattered I doubt I will last to 2am never mind 4am.
  • Options
    Charles said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Such as?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    33s
    INDEPENDENT DIGITAL: Johnson ‘joined No10 party’ in first lockdown #TomorrowsPapersToday

Its the Mirror story from earlier thar again is stretching the definition of party and attendance. 20 staffers having a pizza and beer at the end of the day, and Boris came in and said good effort, you deserve a beer and left after a few minutes.

The one we want to know about is the Christmas do.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Glingur.
    I'm quite the expert in Scottish names thanks to having Scottish bosses for most of my professional career.

They were absolutely no fecking help when I had to deal with a Scotsman with the surname Balloch.
  • Options
    Charles said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

A surprising number of PBers can be traced to the Stone Age.

Welcome back JackW.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    After due consideration, I have decided to stay up for the byelection result.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Many locals call it Slawit but I always called it slathwaite.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I spent half of today in the constituency, but didn't actually see anything very helpful in terms of working out what would happen! But the pubs are nice, so that makes up for it I suppose.
    Enjoy them while you can. Most will be out of business by the new year unless Sunak gets his arse in gear.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

I do like that, whenever this kind of thing is reported, it's "Senior Tories".

If you want an insight in these circumstances, the person with the best idea is the nerd on the computer in the corner of the party HQ. It's not the bloody Secretary of State for Transport or whatever - they don't have a scooby.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Having read your post with mine enclosed I have just realised my oxymoron- "posh Welsh"!
    Friend of mine - his mum and dad lived there. I recall it as Evsh'm with a long e. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    I am so desperate for the Liberals to smash Johnson in the face tonight it is positively unseemly.

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802

Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

Wot- no press purdah?

Off you go you Tories, vote, vote, vote for Boris Johnson!
    Everyone below the line waiting for the police to knock on his door.

Though if he tweeted from London he's probably safe. #historicalcrime
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole

I do like that, whenever this kind of thing is reported, it's "Senior Tories".

If you want an insight in these circumstances, the person with the best idea is the nerd on the computer in the corner of the party HQ. It's not the bloody Secretary of State for Transport or whatever - they don't have a scooby.
    Shapps has never had a scooby to be fair.

One hopes that the story tomorrow morning is that the Tories would have got away with it, if it wasn’t for those pesky Libs.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Higher than normal turnout for a by-election would make the Tories nervous . It would suggest a lot of people wanting to prove a point .

I have no idea about turnout TBH. I started out thinking that it would be close to 50% then rounded it down to near 40%, expecting a lot of apathy from tory voters but now I don't know.

Brecon and Radnorshire in 2019 was close to 60% but that didn't particularly signify anything as it reverted to a safe Tory seat at the GE and it was a high turnout seat anyway.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Charles said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Such as?
    Basically anything with a Proto Indo European root, which is quite a lot

https://en.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?title=Category:English_terms_derived_from_Proto-Indo-European

Stone age is pushing it, mind. Nobody has a clue when PIE was an actual language, might not have been before early bronze age
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,135

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Kirkcudbright.
    The thing that always annoys me that Kansas and ArKANSAS are pronounced totally different.

Bloody French.
    and that Kansas City is not in Kansas, and not even in Arkansas.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,592

Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Glingur.
    I'm quite the expert in Scottish names thanks to having Scottish bosses for most of my professional career.

They were absolutely no fecking help when I had to deal with a Scotsman with the surname Balloch.
    Milngavie, Menzies, An t-Eilean Sgitheanach, to name just a few persons and places.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,929

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Another good one. Near me there is a place called Jackson Bridge. It figured in a number of episodes of Last of the Summer Wines. The local call it Jigby.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Kirkcudbright.

Bloody French.
    and that Kansas City is not in Kansas, and not even in Arkansas.

I was today years old when I learned that!
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Kirkcudbright.
    “Ng” is a common consonant pairing in Maori which can’t quite be transliterated into English.

Place-names include Ngariuwahia and, even better, Ngawha, which includes the also difficult to transliterate “wh”.
    Ng is the Cantonese equivalent to the Mandarin surname Wu. Pronounced oo.
    And is Hakka for the surname Huang.
    Never knew how to pronounce it properly.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

When do we get the exit poll?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

I am more interested in the exit date....
  • Options
    There is a small town in northern Idaho called Athol.

Hence the common gibe in those parts: "So, where ya from, Athol?"

BTW (also FYI) it's located in Kootenai County. (Hint, it's two syllables.)
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

@Andy_JS staggered out of a pub in the constituency earlier I believe.

Does that count?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,802
    slade said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

There is a special municipal twonk whose job it is to convince outsiders that one particular village in each borough had a stupid name pronunciation.

cf: Tinsil, Anster.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

It's always pronounced "Theydon Boyz" - or at least that's how the automated Central Line announcer lady pronounces it.
    They need to get with the times and adopt a gender neutral pronunciation.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Friend of mine - his mum and dad lived there. I recall it as Evsh'm with a long e. Am I wrong?
    That's the Scots pronounciation.
  • Options

There is a small town in northern Idaho called Athol.

Hence the common gibe in those parts: "So, where ya from, Athol?"

BTW (also FYI) it's located in Kootenai County. (Hint, it's two syllables.)

Also contains the beautiful Coeur d'Alene....which i have been to many times.
  • Options
    slade said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

We could do the 'Southwell' debate.

But there's a by-election to debate so we haven't the time frankly.
This discussion has been closed.