Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The money moves sharply to the LDs in North Shropshire – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,261
    If the declaration in this by-election is after 4am, then this will be the first Parliamentary by-election declaration during play in an Ashes series since Knowsley North 1986
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    At declaration which will be bigger, the majority, the reform vote or the Australian first innings?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    IanB2 said:

If the declaration in this by-election is after 4am, then this will be the first Parliamentary by-election declaration during play in an Ashes series since Knowsley North 1986

Niche
  • Options
    Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    9m
    THE SUN; It’s beginning to look a Lock like Christmas #TomorrowsPapersToday
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021

dr_spyn said:

Drakeford closing nightclubs from Dec 27th.

https://twitter.com/danwnews/status/1471601029955399680

If you are serious about stopping spread etc, you sort of have to ask the question why not now.
    The guesstimate that I have heard, which I agree with, is that it fits with what Witty et al talked about in the past - a COVID budget.

Some things increase R. Some things decrease R. So you "spend" on people meeting relatives. And "save" elsewhere.
    Allowing two weekends of the infamously big time raging before stopping it doesn't seem a senaible use of your budget. The weekend before Christmas is one of the biggest weekends of the year, get it well spread for them to take home to mum and dad, granny etc for Christmas.

Its the opposite way round. Youngsters getting infected at new year, aren't seeing nan after that.
  • Options
    How it started:
    1 October DecrepiterJohnL On Christmas food, we already know there turkey production is down. A shortage of pigs in blankets was forecast this morning.
    5 October RochdalePioneers Its when people can't get Pigs in Blankets that the complaining will start.

How it's going:
    16 December rottenborough A week or so I made a joke about pigs in blanket oversupply blocking the supply chain.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

After Omicron, I reckon the next variant's going to be so transmissible it's doubling time actually doubles backwards into the past.

I hope you have all done Ayahuasca as I advised. It gives the most exquisite perspective

Panicked Human: OMFG we're all going to die

God (in a bored but tolerant voice): And?

Panicked Human: This is the the end of the world!

God (sighing): There are infinite other worlds. Have a beer. Sorry I forgot your name?
    Sounds a bit disappointing.
    It is fantastic

The obverse of the cruel nihilism is that glimpse into the deep interior life of reality. If the ayahuasca works, and you don't puke too much, you are privy to the cascading beauty of a conscious universe. A Niagara of a trillion tumbling jewels, forever churning and evanescing, and creating - at least in our prismatic sense - the shot rainbow of human souls
    Or Tuesday as they call it in Prudhoe.
    Fun fact: 98% of PBers don't know how to pronounce Prudhoe.
    Alnwick used to trip me up until I visited it for the first time.

Now, how many PBers can pronounce Slaithwaite correctly?
    Theydon Bois (HYUFD will know!).
    Theydon Bois is a mixture of new money and old money (it has the highest average house price in Epping Forest). That often influences how you pronounce it
    It's always pronounced "Theydon Boyz" - or at least that's how the automated Central Line announcer lady pronounces it.
    They need to get with the times and adopt a gender neutral pronunciation.
    The other Central Line location is Hainault, which has a different origin than Hainaut (no "l") in Belgium/France.
    Do trains still run to Ongar, the famous location for the novel Look Back In Ongar?
    At weekends and special occasions, eg. run up to Christmas, Epping Ongar Railway run a heritage service. I was an active volunteer in 2012 and 2013.
  • Options
    sarissa said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

After Omicron, I reckon the next variant's going to be so transmissible it's doubling time actually doubles backwards into the past.

I hope you have all done Ayahuasca as I advised. It gives the most exquisite perspective

God (sighing): There are infinite other worlds. Have a beer. Sorry I forgot your name?
    It is fantastic

The obverse of the cruel nihilism is that glimpse into the deep interior life of reality. If the ayahuasca works, and you don't puke too much, you are privy to the cascading beauty of a conscious universe. A Niagara of a trillion tumbling jewels, forever churning and evanescing, and creating - at least in our prismatic sense - the shot rainbow of human souls

There are some good ones in Fife - Anstruther, Kilconquar and even Kirkcaldy trip people up.
    Kirkcudbright.
    I raise you Milngavie.

One of my best friends (east coast Scottish as the day is long) as best man to his brother who was marrying a weegie pronounced it as it looks in his speech, to much hooting.
    Garioch - short but un-guessable.
    And Greenock is a double-bluff - it is not pronounced "Grennock" but as it reads.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Peak PB.com
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,561
    edited December 2021

Its only very recently that I was informed that Southwark isn’t pronounced South-Wark

And you don't pronounce the "l" or "r" in Holborn.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,887
    Result in a few hours but here are some final thoughts on the North Shropshire by election based on speaking to voters…

Reasons why Conservatives might lose
    1.Sleaze + partygate
    2.Candidate is from Birmingham ‘he’s not local’
    3.People feel left out of levelling up

https://twitter.com/wizbates/status/1471609406391468041
  • Options
    I see a LibDem knocker up is claiming to have found someone who didn’t know there was an election on today….
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

It is extremely sad that anyone would even keep stats like that :D
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983

Neil Henderson
    @hendopolis
    ·
    9m
    THE SUN; It’s beginning to look a Lock like Christmas #TomorrowsPapersToday

Nothing there, just Sun saying a choice between Christmas parties now or Christmas Day with family
  • Options

What's the best result for Labour....a small Tory win which keeps Boris in place?

No. The best is a LD win, as it helps build credibility behind a potential Labour led government.

If the LDs lose because Labour “out-performed”, it is a pathetic own-goal by the local Labour Party.
    Nailed on
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

I see a LibDem knocker up is claiming to have found someone who didn’t know there was an election on today….

A Lib Dem knocker-up fails to recognise sarcasm, more like. No doubt some wry local standing knee-deep in party leaflets said, "By-election? Why did nobody say?"
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Salop CC making fun of the metropolitans. Top trolling of the media.

https://twitter.com/ShropCouncil/status/1471607727768092681

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

Source says Tories leaked lots of votes but better than expected performance from Labour depriving LDs of a win

https://twitter.com/KingRiach/status/1471606078320398339?s=20

The high turnout suggests dreaded Conservatives sit on hands didn’t happen. “Vote in By election Chuck? been catching up on Corrie”. (That’s what Salop sound like) Got to be good news for Tories? Plus the fact it’s Labour who revealed it’s been high turnout means they are aware high turnout from their own number gathering sheets. This has to be good vibe for Tories I agree.

But how does your source would know before piles appear on table it’s been good votes for Labour, as someone in the know can you explain how source knows colour of money before seeing said money?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592

MaxPB said:

A week or so I made a joke about pigs in blanket oversupply blocking the supply chain.

BBC News at 10 has just featured this precise problem. No pub/cafe wants them now - thanks to the cancellations.

That doesn't sound like a problem that we as a nation can't solve.
    LOL! 😋

I seem to recall a few months ago people saying there'd be a pigs in blanket shortage due to staffing shortages, along with a shortage of turkeys and more. That doesn't seem to have materialised, has it?
    There might have been if Boris hadn't saved Christmas.
  • Options

How it started:
    1 October DecrepiterJohnL On Christmas food, we already know there turkey production is down. A shortage of pigs in blankets was forecast this morning.
    5 October RochdalePioneers Its when people can't get Pigs in Blankets that the complaining will start.

How it's going:
    16 December rottenborough A week or so I made a joke about pigs in blanket oversupply blocking the supply chain.

Methinks that circumstances might have changed on the demand side...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2021
    dr_spyn said:

That happy ending might be a struggle....No shops in Market Drayton these days....
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Con 2.22
    Ld 1.8
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

On a trip up north, my dad asked me to navigate to ‘Annick’. Which I did. He was not amused when we reached said village, as he was wanting directions to Alnwick...
    Norfolk has Happisburgh, known as Haysbrough, and Costessey, known as Cossey.
    And never forget Wolfardisworthy in Devon...
    Happisburgh is beloved by archaeologists. It is the site of the currently oldest evidence for hominids in Northern Europe - around 900,000 years ago. Including the earliest hominid footprints outside Africa - around 800,000 years old.
    900,000 years ago it was called Ug but pronounced Ug.
    There are a surprising number of words in modern English that can be traced to the Stone Age
    Is Stone one of them?
    One, Two, Four, I, You, Who, Whom, Um etc etc
  • Options
    As usual at by-elections, the gossip so far is totally contradictory.
  • Options
    THE TIMES: ⁦@RishiSunak⁩ in talks on bailout for pubs and restaurants #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1471610604649594881/photo/1
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    dr_spyn said:

It's a Hallmark movie...except in reality it is the plague not the farmer that keeps her from going back to London.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

What's the best result for Labour....a small Tory win which keeps Boris in place?

Naah, I never buy this "good election to lose" shtick. The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters, and the second greatest is to watch from the sidelines while the LDs do these things for you. They want to see Boris thumped as much as the rest of us.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Its only very recently that I was informed that Southwark isn’t pronounced South-Wark

And you don't pronounce the "l" or "r" in Holborn.
    The Welsh quarter of Philadelphia boasts a station called Cynwyd which, I'm reliably informed, is pronounced Sinood by the locals. The Welsh original (a village important enough to merit a station on the old Ruabon-Barmouth line) is pronouced Cun-wid.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Only on PB. 😉
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

It has never been the same since Vincent passed into the Great Ballot Box in the sky.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

A Lib Dem knocker-up fails to recognise sarcasm, more like. No doubt some wry local standing knee-deep in party leaflets said, "By-election? Why did nobody say?"
    LOL though some people can be genuinely oblivious.

My favourite example was at the start of my second year at university, October 2001. We were having some drinks in the Union bar and conversation turned to the War (Afghanistan) and somebody said with genuine shock "we're at war!?"

After having an educated individual somehow miss the fact that we'd gone to war following 9/11, I'm not putting any ignorance past anybody.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Libdems have fine knockers.
  • Options

The Welsh quarter of Philadelphia boasts a station called Cynwyd which, I'm reliably informed, is pronounced Sinood by the locals. The Welsh original (a village important enough to merit a station on the old Ruabon-Barmouth line) is pronouced Cun-wid.

Philly sits adjacent to the schuylkill river. Try pronouncing that...
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Libby Wiener on ITV news at the count says it looks possible Labour could have deprived the LDs of victory
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,358

dr_spyn said:

Drakeford closing nightclubs from Dec 27th.

https://twitter.com/danwnews/status/1471601029955399680

If you are serious about stopping spread etc, you sort of have to ask the question why not now.
    The guesstimate that I have heard, which I agree with, is that it fits with what Witty et al talked about in the past - a COVID budget.

Some things increase R. Some things decrease R. So you "spend" on people meeting relatives. And "save" elsewhere.
    Allowing two weekends of the infamously big time raging before stopping it doesn't seem a senaible use of your budget. The weekend before Christmas is one of the biggest weekends of the year, get it well spread for them to take home to mum and dad, granny etc for Christmas.

Its the opposite way round. Youngsters getting infected at new year, aren't seeing nan after that.
    Hmmmm

Politicians spending irresponsibly.

There is a film at 11, also water is wet and there are rumours that Argentinian nightclub bouncer in the Vatican is a bit Catholic.....
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,139

Whoever wins might not matter if these alleged photos of Johnson in a party hat are for real.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Switcheroo

Con 1.91
    Ld 2.02
  • Options

No. The best is a LD win, as it helps build credibility behind a potential Labour led government.

If the LDs lose because Labour “out-performed”, it is a pathetic own-goal by the local Labour Party.
    The alternative view is, longer busted Boris stays, the deeper pit next leader needsto get out?
  • Options
    The LibDems are already suggesting that if #NorthShropshire stays Tory it will be Labour’s fault.

Labour MPs believe that's an insult to the voters - and proof the LibDems got high on their own hype when Lab have always had a strong chunk of the vote.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1471612116272619520
  • Options

Whoever wins might not matter if these alleged photos of Johnson in a party hat are for real.
    There are likely millions of photos of Boris in a party hat
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Source says Tories leaked lots of votes but better than expected performance from Labour depriving LDs of a win

https://twitter.com/KingRiach/status/1471606078320398339?s=20

The high turnout suggests dreaded Conservatives sit on hands didn’t happen. “Vote in By election Chuck? been catching up on Corrie”. (That’s what Salop sound like) Got to be good news for Tories? Plus the fact it’s Labour who revealed it’s been high turnout means they are aware high turnout from their own number gathering sheets. This has to be good vibe for Tories I agree.

But how does your source would know before piles appear on table it’s been good votes for Labour, as someone in the know can you explain how source knows colour of money before seeing said money?
    If you’ve been involved in the campaign, and especially if you know the area, then you know, assuming you know what you are doing.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Something about the headline "Parcel firm couriers throw gifts at walls and insult customers" makes me laugh.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847

The alternative view is, longer busted Boris stays, the deeper pit next leader needsto get out?
    Yeh, I don’t buy that for a second.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    More money going on Con

Con 1.7
    Ld 2.36
  • Options
    The odds are swinging around on Smarkets. I've managed to get back on the LDs so I'm now on for an even bigger profit than I was before I cashed out, at a lower risk than before I'd cashed out too. Will take that. Think I'll let it ride now.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,970
    edited December 2021
    sarissa said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

There are some good ones in Fife - Anstruther, Kilconquar and even Kirkcaldy trip people up.
    Kirkcudbright.
    I raise you Milngavie.

One of my best friends (east coast Scottish as the day is long) as best man to his brother who was marrying a weegie pronounced it as it looks in his speech, to much hooting.
    Garioch - short but un-guessable.
    Glen Garioch is a lovely malt.
  • Options
    ping said:

More money going on Con

Con 1.7
    Ld 2.36

Looks like a feeling Tory has sneaked this one.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    If LDs lose, would Ed Davey face a leadership challenge?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,358

Sounds like someone trying to play 5D chess....
  • Options
    My own impression having been there end of last week was that we’d get a Tory win with Lab and Lib Dem votes greater than the maj. But let’s see
    https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1471612677499797504
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

If LDs lose, would Ed Davey face a leadership challenge?

Nope.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The LibDems are already suggesting that if #NorthShropshire stays Tory it will be Labour’s fault.

Labour MPs believe that's an insult to the voters - and proof the LibDems got high on their own hype when Lab have always had a strong chunk of the vote.

Looks like it could be a better than expected result for Boris.

Tories scrape home, he avoids a VONC and there is a progressive alliance civil war
  • Options
    Why have the odds just shifted decisively in a Tory direction?

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.190523448
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Said Labour MPs must be very thick.

Labour can’t win everywhere. They either figure out how to collaborate with the LDs or they can kiss goodbye to any chance of forming the next government.
  • Options
    Con 1.64
    Ld 2.6
  • Options
    Cash seems to be piling on the Tories. I've just laid the blues some more, but the market seems to think I've called this wrong.

Come on 🔶 don't let me down now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Libby Wiener on ITV news at the count says it looks possible Labour could have deprived the LDs of victory

Could be a premonition of 2023/24 in a load of Con/LD seats
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Another day goes by and we're still talking about omicron cases but not deaths.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Sounds like someone trying to play 5D chess....
    I tend to think that if you can play 2D chess in politics you are likely to outsmart your opposition and most of the media.

Sadly it doesn’t look like Labour are even capable of that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Tories scrape home, he avoids a VONC and there is a progressive alliance civil war
    I’m not sure ‘just cling on to true Tory blue North Shropshire’ can be considered better than expected.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Why have the odds just shifted decisively in a Tory direction?

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.190523448

Because the titbits of gossip on both sides, such as they are, think the Tories are in with a chance of a hold.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,915
    They don't deserve to hold but looks like they might have.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Labour can’t win everywhere. They either figure out how to collaborate with the LDs or they can kiss goodbye to any chance of forming the next government.
    The Tories didn't win an eighty seat majority by thinking "Tories can't win in seats like Leigh, lets collaborate with the LDs to ensure they take them off Labour".

Labour were second-placed and won over 17,000 votes in this constituency only a few years ago. 17,000 votes would be enough to win most by-elections if they could have got that vote out to give the government a kicking.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If - and its still an if - Labour keep the Tories in the seat, then this needs to be the lesson for both.

Choose your target seats. And leave off when it isn't one for you.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes that is looking like the result of this election now, as all three parties are predicting same thing, and viewing reporters have said the same thing, and virtually called it. Boris has won, with Labour and Libdems getting high %s.

However from Libdem point of view, how much of the labour % would have given them win, because it’s unrealistic to expect it to wither away to zilch? Is anything below 7 or 8% just unrealistic to have expected?

Doesn’t bode well for tactical voting in future, next election dozens of Conservative MPs will survive in the same way happened here tonight.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

I’m not sure ‘just cling on to true Tory blue North Shropshire’ can be considered better than expected.
    Yes; but nobody will care.
    Lab and LD had a chance here, esp after party-gate. Seems like they flunked it.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,970

IanB2 said:

What are the odds on the NS majority being less than the Australian 1st innings score?
  • Options
    He's back...

• Options
    LD out at 3.

Punters think they haven't quite done it.
  • Options
    Con 1.43
    Ld 3.2
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes that is looking like the result of this election now, as all three parties are predicting same thing, and viewing reporters have said the same thing, and virtually called it. Boris has won, with Labour and Libdems getting high %s.

However from Libdem point of view, how much of the labour % would have given them win, because it’s unrealistic to expect it to wither away to zilch? Is anything below 7 or 8% just unrealistic to have expected?

Doesn’t bode well for tactical voting in future, next election dozens of Conservative MPs will survive in the same way happened here tonight.
    Look at C&A. Labour at 1.6%, down from c. 13%.
  • Options

He's back...

But what can he actually do?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    One thing for certain tonight is that SKS will drop from 2nd place to 3rd and will be nowhere near the 22.1% share of the vote in 2019 (31.7% 2017).

His record of underperforming "even Corbyn" will yet again be met by silence on here of course.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Scott_xP said:

The Labour candidate is personable, and born & bred in the constituency.

The Tory candidate lives elsewhere.

The LibDem candidate is a vapid incomer, who made her money elsewhere and went to live in the constituency about 8 years ago.

I can easily see why someone might want to vote Labour rather than LibDem.

The result matters not a jot. Boris has a huge majority, and even a loss is not going to presage his resignation in the New Year.
  • Options

Another day goes by and we're still talking about omicron cases but not deaths.

Death takes a while.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The Tories didn't win an eighty seat majority by thinking "Tories can't win in seats like Leigh, lets collaborate with the LDs to ensure they take them off Labour".

Labour were second-placed and won over 17,000 votes in this constituency only a few years ago. 17,000 votes would be enough to win most by-elections if they could have got that vote out to give the government a kicking.
    1. This is a by-election not a GE
    2. The psephology for Labour at the next election is quite different from that facing Boris in 2019
    3. As often pointed out; LD ceiling is/was higher than Labour’s in this seat.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

That Labour has decided your leader is such a liability that they are better off leaving him to damage the brand still further, is hardly a vote of confidence.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

But whose the most upset? Tories looking forward to their new leader, or opposition parties quite happy to be facing Busted Boris 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,583

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Time for an AV thread
  • Options
    Today's RedBox / YouGov

Lab 37
    Con 32
    LD 10
    Green 7
    REFUK 6
    SNP 5
    Others 3
    Plaid 1
  • Options

One thing for certain tonight is that SKS will drop from 2nd place to 3rd and will be nowhere near the 22.1% share of the vote in 2019 (31.7% 2017).

His record of underperforming "even Corbyn" will yet again be met by silence on here of course.

When did Corbyn lead on most capable PM
  • Options
    Labour gain on Boro Council it seems
  • Options

HYUFD said:

If - and its still an if - Labour keep the Tories in the seat, then this needs to be the lesson for both.

Choose your target seats. And leave off when it isn't one for you.
    As I understand it, they did.

But the local Labour party didn’t get the memo (and selected a strong candidate, besides).
  • Options

LD out at 3.

Punters think they haven't quite done it.

Based on not much information, it has to be said.
  • Options
    Con 1/2
    Ld 2/1
  • Options
    Labour will probably achieve the double

i) A swing from Labour to the Tories
    ii) More votes than the Tory - Lib Dem gap.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

2. The psephology for Labour at the next election is quite different from that facing Boris in 2019
    There's no evidence the LD ceiling is higher than Labour's here based on past results. Just wishful thinking that LDs can hoover up both Tory and Labour votes.

Labour have over 17k votes in the recent past. The LDs ceiling has been much lower than that before today.

My money is on the LDs, but Labour should have gone for it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

But whose the most upset? Tories looking forward to their new leader, or opposition parties quite happy to be facing Busted Boris 🤷‍♀️
    I really disagree with this line of thinking.

Labour needs to demonstrate it has a credible route to power more than it needs to be “facing a busted Boris”.

Frankly the idea that Boris might be VONCed post a North Shropshire loss is rubbish anyway.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Scott_xP said:

The fact that they got more money than all the other parties combined is neither here nor there.
    (almost twice as much as all the other parties combined)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2021

June 2019.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,139

Come on BJO you undersell your intelligence with such an impish, or otherwise naive comment.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Look at C&A. Labour at 1.6%, down from c. 13%.
    Good point. So it varies place to place on how good candidate is maybe. Or maybe, especially where Labour second such as here, the tactical vote message is not obvious enough.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

That Labour has decided your leader is such a liability that they are better off leaving him to damage the brand still further, is hardly a vote of confidence.
    Hardly,

If Boris has become a liability, it is better for the Tories to leave him in place to carry the can for awkward economic decisions in 2022 and 2023.

A new leader, unsullied by the difficult economic decisions, taking office 6 months to a year before GE 2024 is ideal for the Tories.

My guess is that could well be Truss.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

The Labour candidate is personable, and born & bred in the constituency.

The Tory candidate lives elsewhere.

The LibDem candidate is a vapid incomer, who made her money elsewhere and went to live in the constituency about 8 years ago.

I can easily see why someone might want to vote Labour rather than LibDem.

The result matters not a jot. Boris has a huge majority, and even a loss is not going to presage his resignation in the New Year.
    True about it not mattering in the grand scheme of things but Patriotic Labour under new management is going to go from outpolling the LDs by more than 2 to 1 to being outpolled by them by more than 2 to 1.

SKS useless nonentity skills rear their heads with voters again.

SKS fans point to the Polls not the real voting ones obviously as his record in actual elections is far worse than "even Corbyn"

• Options
    Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

The fact that they got more money than all the other parties combined is neither here nor there.
    (almost twice as much as all the other parties combined)
    They nearly got as many votes as all the other parties combined in England, so that doesn't seem unreasonable.

Quit being shit and unpopular and people will start to vote for you and donate to you.
  • Options

June 2019.
    When did Corbyn lead on gross approval
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    A bit of support for the LDs

Con 1.55/1.65
    Ld 2.58/2.9

Stupid to trade this market unless you’ve got very good sources inside the hall, imo
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

What does 3. mean Lab we're at nearly 32% less than 5 years ago and the LDs close to lost deposit territory
This discussion has been closed.