Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The money moves sharply to the LDs in North Shropshire – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911
    edited December 2021

This will stop the spread....

This fight broke out on a train in York over some passengers that were not wearing masks 😷
    https://twitter.com/CrimeLdn/status/1471552385373949958?s=20

Masks?! Luxury. In my day, we had t'make do with maxi-pad taped to the face with bit o'string.

In other news I have piled on (well, fifty quid) on the Tories at 2.5 - I think it's a coin toss, but I also think this whole thing will largely rest on postal votes sent in long before the last two weeks of scandal.

If OGH was right when he tipped the Lib Dems back at was it 18/1 or 20/1 (can't quite recall), I will duly doff my cap to him and his superior betting skills, then proceed to eat said cap.

And if North Shropshire does fall then Boris is surely finished.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    For a small man, Sunak has dropped a massive b****** this week. He may yet make it, but he has damaged himself big time with his California jaunt. And before you correct me, whatever the truth no one will believe him ( except G.). Tarred with the Johnson brush!
  • I wonder how the Christmas fixtures in the footie are going to look. It could well be Man Utd Under 15s, Liverpool Vets etc playing...

Traitors. All pox-ridden players should not only play as their national duty, they should try and rub themselves up against as many spectators as possible.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 46,206

Leon said:

Leon said:

After Omicron, I reckon the next variant's going to be so transmissible it's doubling time actually doubles backwards into the past.

I hope you have all done Ayahuasca as I advised. It gives the most exquisite perspective

Panicked Human: OMFG we're all going to die

God (in a bored but tolerant voice): And?

Panicked Human: This is the the end of the world!

God (sighing): There are infinite other worlds. Have a beer. Sorry I forgot your name?
    Sounds a bit disappointing.
    It is fantastic

The obverse of the cruel nihilism is that glimpse into the deep interior life of reality. If the ayahuasca works, and you don't puke too much, you are privy to the cascading beauty of a conscious universe. A Niagara of a trillion tumbling jewels, forever churning and evanescing, and creating - at least in our prismatic sense - the shot rainbow of human souls
    Most of that still sounds a lot like puking too much.
    I didn't puke at all. By all accounts I was in very good hands. The best shit administered by the best shamans, all paid for by trillionaires who import the best juice and the best ritual

Worked for me, anyway

I know this comes across as wank, but it honestly was amazing. Pivotal. A life-perspective changing moment

Everyone should get the chance
  • Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

After Omicron, I reckon the next variant's going to be so transmissible it's doubling time actually doubles backwards into the past.

I hope you have all done Ayahuasca as I advised. It gives the most exquisite perspective

God (sighing): There are infinite other worlds. Have a beer. Sorry I forgot your name?
    It is fantastic

The obverse of the cruel nihilism is that glimpse into the deep interior life of reality. If the ayahuasca works, and you don't puke too much, you are privy to the cascading beauty of a conscious universe. A Niagara of a trillion tumbling jewels, forever churning and evanescing, and creating - at least in our prismatic sense - the shot rainbow of human souls

I wonder how the Christmas fixtures in the footie are going to look. It could well be Man Utd Under 15s, Liverpool Vets etc playing...

I don't think there will be any matches next week.
    If any group of people should have had their Christmas parties in early Dec, football players shouls have....very selfish of then to start getting just when thr Christmas fixtures are coming up.
  • JACK_W said:

Foxy said:

JACK_W said:

Has Charlie Falconer finished his speech yet? .. :smile:

Greetings!

Any emissions from your ARSE in North Shropshire? Or are you living off your pie stockpile in Ardmanarchan Castle?
    Yuletide felicitations my dear fellow.

No rear end blow back tonight. Indeed Mrs Jack W has me on curfew as of by-election close of play at 10pm which is precisely what the England cricket team should be observing too for the following 12 hours !! .. :smiley:
    Jack W - PB's uncrowned King under the water!
  • Pulpstar said:

David Blanchflower was on the radio panicking about the rate rise. I mean sure it's unwanted*, but it's only gone up to the heady heights of 0.25%.

* By me at any rate

Bank rate up by 150%? It's Black Thursday. A day that shall live in infamy, etc etc.
  • JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    Toms said:

It's made my day to see Jack_W about.
    It would double-make my day if the LDs were to win.

A 50% return then .. :smile:

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,045

For a small man, Sunak has dropped a massive b****** this week. He may yet make it, but he has damaged himself big time with his California jaunt. And before you correct me, whatever the truth no one will believe him ( except G.). Tarred with the Johnson brush!

Lots of carbon to offset, particularly if by the family executive jet.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

JACK_W said:

Foxy said:

JACK_W said:

Greetings!

Any emissions from your ARSE in North Shropshire? Or are you living off your pie stockpile in Ardmanarchan Castle?

No rear end blow back tonight. Indeed Mrs Jack W has me on curfew as of by-election close of play at 10pm which is precisely what the England cricket team should be observing too for the following 12 hours !! .. :smiley:
    Just when you Reckon you got PB they all start talking tuskey
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Leon said:

So, it's the total perspective vortex?

You see how small and insignificant you are compared to the universe.

The man who invented the Total Perspective Vortex did so basically in order to annoy his wife.

Trin Tragula — for that was his name — was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.

And she would nag him incessantly about the utterly inordinate amount of time he spent staring out into space, or mulling over the mechanics of safety pins, or doing spectrographic analyses of pieces of fairy cake.

“Have some sense of proportion!” she would say, sometimes as often as thirty-eight times in a single day.

And so he built the Total Perspective Vortex — just to show her.

And into one end he plugged the whole of reality as extrapolated from a piece of fairy cake, and into the other end he plugged his wife: so that when he turned it on she saw in one instant the whole infinity of creation and herself in relation to it.

To Trin Tragula’s horror, the shock completely annihilated her brain; but to his satisfaction he realized that he had proved conclusively that if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion."
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,835
    edited December 2021

I wonder how the Christmas fixtures in the footie are going to look. It could well be Man Utd Under 15s, Liverpool Vets etc playing...

Man City & Chelsea must be hoping Salah has another wedding to attend.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    theakes said:

I would not worry about the bookmakers, 23, 000 is a mountain and more to climb. It is just people betting on the better price, by 10pm the Tories may ber favourite. Realistically one must think the Tories will hold by whatever, even one vote, a win is a win.
    Not sure the Lib Dems vote will turn out, its bloody cold up here and the Tories have their postal vote

Felix?
    edited December 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

I didn't puke at all. By all accounts I was in very good hands. The best shit administered by the best shamans, all paid for by trillionaires who import the best juice and the best ritual

Worked for me, anyway

I know this comes across as wank, but it honestly was amazing. Pivotal. A life-perspective changing moment

Ayahusca is essentially just DMT, right? Available at any rave, just ask the hippie with the biggest dreadlocks. You don't need to be a trillionaire...

Did you see any "clockwork elves"?
    Leon said:

GREETINGS to JackW. Alive and punting!

Merry Christmas, old boy

Just And Always .. :smiley:
  • Pulpstar said:

Man City & Chelsea must be hoping Salah has another wedding to attend.
    Worse than that, he's got the Africa Cup of Nations for 6 weeks starting at the end of December in civil war torn Cameroon.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 926

What I want to know, what was he like - or at least perceived to be like - by his constituents? Many of whom must have gotten to know him at least a little, and a little more by local reputation?

This raises the question -- in your average constituency, what percentage of voters have any perception of their local MP at all (ie are not simply voting for/against a party)? I suppose for constituencies where the incumbent has a high media profile (eg they are the PM or a well-known minister) there must be a fair number, and of course in this case the ex-MP has raised his own media profile in a manner not necessarily to his advantage. But for the constituencies occupied by random backbenchers I think I'd expect very few constituents to particularly care who was wearing the red/blue/yellow rosette -- only politics enthusiasts and the small number of people the MP had helped directly in some way.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,719
    edited December 2021
    JACK_W said:

Foxy said:

JACK_W said:

Greetings!

There's a typo in your post, Your Grace. You say 'twelve hours' where you mean 'twelve months.'

But it is good to see you back.
    Foxy said:

I very much doubt he flew California to London by private jet. Even the billionaires I know tend to fly super long haul on traditional airlines. (Admittedly, right at the pointy end of the plane.)
  • is this real life?

No it's just fantasy 🎜
    Caught in landsliiide...
    No escape to reaaallittyy....
    🎝
    Is "Caught in a landslide" a prediction for later tonight?

And if so, for who?
    We will know shortly ;)
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,909
    edited December 2021
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Worked for me, anyway

Ayahusca is essentially just DMT, right? Available at any rave, just ask the hippie with the biggest dreadlocks. You don't need to be a trillionaire...

Nope, DMT plus MAO inhibitors - Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (prevents the body digesting the DMT).
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Or Tuesday as they call it in Prudhoe.
    Fun fact: 98% of PBers don't know how to pronounce Prudhoe.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

I very much doubt he flew California to London by private jet. Even the billionaires I know tend to fly super long haul on traditional airlines. (Admittedly, right at the pointy end of the plane.)
    Is it better to be at the front?
  • rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Hiw many private plane models can even do that journey without having to stop to refuel?

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

The seats are somewhat bigger and the wine rather better.

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Prue Dough?
  • rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

First trans-atlantic flight i ever took i got bumped there....its been downhill ever since.
  • Interesting effects here as those in their 40s become some of the longest out from their second doses (and AZ-ed) and mostly haven't been boosted yet.
    Get boosted.

https://twitter.com/PaulMainwood/status/1471530814529748993?s=20
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Not that anyone’s taste buds would tell the difference at 30,000ft
  • dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Alnwick used to trip me up until I visited it for the first time.

Now, how many PBers can pronounce Slaithwaite correctly?
    edited December 2021
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Worked for me, anyway

I am in the privileged position of having done both

DMT and ayahuasca

DMT is to to ayahuasca what a fine Shakespearian sonnet is to a great Shakespeare play (Hamlet or Macbeth or Romeo & Juliet). They exhibit the same large vocabulary. The same poetic ingenuity. Enough for you to sense that it is the same author, maybe?

Otherwise, there is no comparison.

One - the sonnet - illuminates an emotion and maybe captures a sense of it; the other shines a brilliant, enduring light on the human condition
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Worked for me, anyway

Nope, DMT plus MAO - Monoamine oxidase (prevents the body digesting the DMT).
    MAOI that would be, MAO is what does the digesting
  • pingping Posts: 3,724

On the subject of Shrewsbury (next door to North Shropshire):-

A Conservative MP begged for consultancy work advising Saudi Arabian businessmen because he was struggling to pay his children’s school fees, leaked messages have revealed.

Daniel Kawczynski, the MP for Shrewsbury and Atcham, said he needed a job with a “regular income” and touted himself as the most “pro-Saudi” MP in the Commons.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-mp-begged-for-saudi-consultancy-work-to-pay-school-fees-xmns5q97r (£££)

Withdraw his citizenship and send him to live in Saudi

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Hiw many private plane models can even do that journey without having to stop to refuel?
    Very few.

Most long haul private jets top out at London to New York or Washington.

LA to London is 5,500 miles, so you really need the extended range Gulfstream G650E.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Slough-it
  • IshmaelZ said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Worked for me, anyway

Nope, DMT plus MAO - Monoamine oxidase (prevents the body digesting the DMT).
    MAOI that would be, MAO is what does the digesting
    Yes, I edited my original post :)
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

The man who invented the Total Perspective Vortex did so basically in order to annoy his wife.

Trin Tragula — for that was his name — was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.

And she would nag him incessantly about the utterly inordinate amount of time he spent staring out into space, or mulling over the mechanics of safety pins, or doing spectrographic analyses of pieces of fairy cake.

“Have some sense of proportion!” she would say, sometimes as often as thirty-eight times in a single day.

And into one end he plugged the whole of reality as extrapolated from a piece of fairy cake, and into the other end he plugged his wife: so that when he turned it on she saw in one instant the whole infinity of creation and herself in relation to it.

To Trin Tragula’s horror, the shock completely annihilated her brain; but to his satisfaction he realized that he had proved conclusively that if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion."
    lol, rather apt

JACK_W said:

Foxy said:

JACK_W said:

Greetings!

:smiley: ... US presidential politics never ceases to amuse. From the 24 hour wide awake POTUS to the barely awake ever POTUS in the space of 160 million voters. Epic :lol:
  • dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Theydon Bois (HYUFD will know!).
  • EXCLUSIVE: Tory Grant Shapps' staff 'boozed and danced' in 'lockdown-breaking' office party

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/grant-shapps-staff-boozed-danced-25718548
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Not that anyone’s taste buds would tell the difference at 30,000ft
    I dunno, I've had some pretty foul wine on planes before.
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

In the jump seat?
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

BREAKING like tonight’s Libdem Fart. Anyone still spinning for Rishi on here? The truth is now out on Twitter.

It’s all over Twitter Rishi has filmed his Simpson’s debut as a waiter who saves the world economy, and on this trip he also recorded duet with Barbara Streisand for the seasonal circuit breaker album “Whatever It Takes”.

Ignore that, let’s take it as fact he was working hard for UK, to go with the fact he comes back into a backbench revolt against how he has introduced lock down by stealth, pulling rug from under decent hard working business, what are you suggesting he can now do about that, how can he target money to help those ruined in this sneaky lockdown by stealth?

PS this afternoon I said Rishi has resigned from the government, to join the Beach Boys. In case anyone didn’t realise, I was actually joking.

He could be PM in the next few weeks and opponents are beginning to fret
    LOL. The arch enabler of the Boris era?

Rishi’s crimes against the British People and British Tax payer are MEGA!

Who signed off the cheques? Whose department done the due diligence?

media will scrutinise his central role in the Boris Government - I am convinced his bid does not survive that at this time - it’s not just the Tax sums fighting covid making him the biggest tax taker since paying off WW2 debt, it’s the colossally waste of money, it’s the lack of scrutiny as he signed off a lot of these cheques. His party will know what’s going to emerge before next election that is his fault, dragging them all down if he is leader. If the opposition can’t take Rishi apart after this record they shouldn’t even be in politics.

Whose job was due diligence before signing the cheques?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9738735/Fraud-blunders-Covid-support-schemes-cost-taxpayers-30bn-MPs-warn.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/22/fifth-of-uk-covid-contracts-raised-red-flags-for-possible-corruption

Thirty Billion. And corrupt contracts.

Pick another of the runners big G - this favourite is too short for the handicap.

I make the favourites

Rishi, then Truss, then Harper, then Saj and Hunt.
    You know investment bankers don’t do due diligence, right? That involves actual work.

They coordinate. And advise. And strategise. Occasionally they open their roladex
    Well. Looks like absolutely everybody’s here. 🙂

If you still think Libdems are in with a chance (which I don’t anymore, I do think results change week by week on media narrative and libdems would have won last Friday, today even Daily Mirror rallying to the flag, and all week Boris fans reminded again why they like him in first place - we jab, my opponents just jabber and put their trust in the EU) then I will stay up with you all for it.

I don’t know if you like the idea of that or not 😄

This can be maybe historic? If I win first politics bet

Off now to make pizzas and open another box of wine.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,076

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

First trans-atlantic flight i ever took i got bumped there....its been downhill ever since.
    We had a customer who did surgery for the Saudi Royal family. When the royal came into town for a treatment, he would make his 747 & crew available to the customer's family. That's *probably* an even better experience.
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Prue Dough?
    Prudda
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Worked for me, anyway

DMT and ayahuasca

DMT is to to ayahuasca what a fine Shakespearian sonnet is to a great Shakespeare play (Hamlet or Macbeth or Romeo & Juliet). They exhibit the same large vocabulary. The same poetic ingenuity. Enough for you to sense that it is the same author, maybe?

One - the sonnet - illuminates an emotion and maybe captures a sense of it; the other shines a brilliant, enduring light on the human condition
    Well it's clearly worked for you.

It was offered to me earlier this year but I declined as it would a) involve travelling a long way (yes, irony duly noted) and b) as someone staring down the cliffs of middle age, I'm not sure my mind is as malleable as it was twenty years ago. Frankly, I've been in a depressive funk since around Jan/Feb and I always found that bad head space = bad trips.

Perhaps next year...

• Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    3h
    I mean, come off it. "Omicron turning up in December shows we'd all have been better if we'd stayed in Step 2 from May to December"? How can anyone contend that with a straight face?
    edited December 2021
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Why do I image Boris’s reaction would be identical to Zaphod’s
    You are, I'm afraid, demonstrating your lack of knowledge of HHGTTG.

Zaphod didn't go into the real perspective vortex. If he had, his brain would have been fried.
  • dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Only those that have been there know how to pronounce Evesham.
  • mwadams said:

rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

We had a customer who did surgery for the Saudi Royal family. When the royal came into town for a treatment, he would make his 747 & crew available to the customer's family. That's *probably* an even better experience.
    That's nothing, you need to go to Stakes On A Plane in Bolton.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/travel/travel-news/steaks-plane-restaurant-serves-food-25696075

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/steaks-on-a-plane-bolton--12797302
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,076

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

The boys are back in town.
    Charles said:

BREAKING like tonight’s Libdem Fart. Anyone still spinning for Rishi on here? The truth is now out on Twitter.

It’s all over Twitter Rishi has filmed his Simpson’s debut as a waiter who saves the world economy, and on this trip he also recorded duet with Barbara Streisand for the seasonal circuit breaker album “Whatever It Takes”.

Ignore that, let’s take it as fact he was working hard for UK, to go with the fact he comes back into a backbench revolt against how he has introduced lock down by stealth, pulling rug from under decent hard working business, what are you suggesting he can now do about that, how can he target money to help those ruined in this sneaky lockdown by stealth?

PS this afternoon I said Rishi has resigned from the government, to join the Beach Boys. In case anyone didn’t realise, I was actually joking.

He could be PM in the next few weeks and opponents are beginning to fret
    LOL. The arch enabler of the Boris era?

Rishi’s crimes against the British People and British Tax payer are MEGA!

Who signed off the cheques? Whose department done the due diligence?

media will scrutinise his central role in the Boris Government - I am convinced his bid does not survive that at this time - it’s not just the Tax sums fighting covid making him the biggest tax taker since paying off WW2 debt, it’s the colossally waste of money, it’s the lack of scrutiny as he signed off a lot of these cheques. His party will know what’s going to emerge before next election that is his fault, dragging them all down if he is leader. If the opposition can’t take Rishi apart after this record they shouldn’t even be in politics.

Whose job was due diligence before signing the cheques?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9738735/Fraud-blunders-Covid-support-schemes-cost-taxpayers-30bn-MPs-warn.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/22/fifth-of-uk-covid-contracts-raised-red-flags-for-possible-corruption

Thirty Billion. And corrupt contracts.

Pick another of the runners big G - this favourite is too short for the handicap.

I make the favourites

Rishi, then Truss, then Harper, then Saj and Hunt.
    You know investment bankers don’t do due diligence, right? That involves actual work.

They coordinate. And advise. And strategise. Occasionally they open their roladex
    LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhrIAnbl5XE
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,873

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

On a trip up north, my dad asked me to navigate to ‘Annick’. Which I did. He was not amused when we reached said village, as he was wanting directions to Alnwick...
    Norfolk has Happisburgh, known as Haysbrough, and Costessey, known as Cossey.
    And never forget Wolfardisworthy in Devon...
  • This is a senior editor at the Telegraph. Jeez.

Paul Nuki
    @PaulNuki
    In many places in Africa, malaria significantly reduces productivity by making most people quite sick two or three times a year. I suspect that living with Covid will create a similar phenomenon here. #COVID19

• Andrew Lilico
    @andrew_lilico
    ·
    3h
    I mean, come off it. "Omicron turning up in December shows we'd all have been better if we'd stayed in Step 2 from May to December"? How can anyone contend that with a straight face?

It shows we'd have been better if we'd gone to Step 5 in July: Stop testing and abolish isolation for the infected.

That way we could have handled more cases in the summer and autumn and would have even fewer cases in the winter. Win/win.

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Prue Dough?
    Prudda
    Good to know, should I ever return to working in and around the energy industry.
  • dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Nearly years ago in Donegal, asked an older Irish woman, how to pronounce Raphoe?

To this day still do NOT have a clue.
  • rcs1000 said:

eek said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Why do I image Boris’s reaction would be identical to Zaphod’s
    You are, I'm afraid, demonstrating your lack of knowledge about HHGTTG.

Zaphod didn't go into the real perspective vortex. If he had, his brain would have been fried.
    But I don't think we can exclude the possibility that we are all in a simulated Universe designed to be the same size as the ego of B Johnson Esq.

Seems as good an explanation as any.

So far.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,865
    ydoethur said:

Toms said:

I am teaching Year 12 politics tomorrow period 1.

I have three lessons planned:

1) A lesson where the Tories win, and we talk about the role of the cabinet in policy making;

2) A lesson where the Tories have lost, so we talk about the upcoming Tory leadership election;

3) A lesson where none of them turn up as it's the last day of term and I go and get myself a cuppa.
    So, you’re expecting a low turnout tomorrow, @ydoethur

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Is it ev-a-sham or eve-sham or something else?

• dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    Lewis Dobbin on for Ellis Simms up front.
    Given that 0-0 is a bloody miracle.

EXCLUSIVE: Tory Grant Shapps' staff 'boozed and danced' in 'lockdown-breaking' office party

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/grant-shapps-staff-boozed-danced-25718548

We knew that there was more to come.

Drip, drip, drip.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,873
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Is it ev-a-sham or eve-sham or something else?

Essan
  • dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Nearly years ago in Donegal, asked an older Irish woman, how to pronounce Raphoe?

To this day still do NOT have a clue.
    Reminds me of the time I nearly got beaten up in a pub.

Me to the barmaid: I'd like a quickie

Barmaid: I beg your pardon?

Me: I'd like a quickie.

Barmaid: You say that again and I'll get the landlord and barman to beat you up

Me: I'd li...

Man at the bar: It's spelled quiche but not pronounced quickie.

ydoethur said:

Toms said:

I am teaching Year 12 politics tomorrow period 1.

I have three lessons planned:

1) A lesson where the Tories win, and we talk about the role of the cabinet in policy making;

2) A lesson where the Tories have lost, so we talk about the upcoming Tory leadership election;

3) A lesson where none of them turn up as it's the last day of term and I go and get myself a cuppa.
    So, you’re expecting a low turnout tomorrow, @ydoethur
    I think the issue may have been low turnout today :smile:

But yes, low turnout on the last day of term is fairly traditional. One of them asked me last week if we were actually having a lesson.

She was polite enough to say that as we were she would come in, 'although I wouldn't bother for anyone else.'
  • dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

There are some good ones in Fife - Anstruther, Kilconquar and even Kirkcaldy trip people up.
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Worked for me, anyway

DMT and ayahuasca

It was offered to me earlier this year but I declined as it would a) involve travelling a long way (yes, irony duly noted) and b) as someone staring down the cliffs of middle age, I'm not sure my mind is as malleable as it was twenty years ago. Frankly, I've been in a depressive funk since around Jan/Feb and I always found that bad head space = bad trips.

Perhaps next year...
    Mate, I've been depressed - on and off - for about 16 months. Sometimes severely, sometimes just a bit meh. I have had hints of suicidality. And also weeks of feeling fine, but then the dark void appears again.

This is not normal for me. I am used to being down, but I normally get the highs as well. This recent gloom feels much more relentless and it is partly due to the fucking plague and partly due to life events (many of them closely related to the plague)

I have no idea if this NEW post-ayahuasca mood will last but it DOES feel like I have at least nudged the mental needle. I am in a different groove. If I top myself next week, sorry, I was wrong

And I felt every single fear you now feel: I am too old, I have too much shit to stir, I don't want the bad trip, it is scary. All of that was and is true, and yet I had a great experience (again, I say this without tempting fate, I hope I don't open my wrists tomorrow)

Take the Risk. You are never too old for a bit of new religion
  • dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

There are some good ones in Fife - Anstruther, Kilconquar and even Kirkcaldy trip people up.
    I once met this dude with I think a triple double barrelled surname, and not one of the six sounded anything like it was spelt. One of them was Anstruther.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021

EXCLUSIVE: Tory Grant Shapps' staff 'boozed and danced' in 'lockdown-breaking' office party

Drip, drip, drip.
    Its really barrel scraping one...10 civil servants had drinks and takeaway with no evidence Shapps had any idea.

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

I once met this dude with I think a triple double barrelled surname, and not one of the six sounded anything like it was spelt. One of them was Anstruther.
    Did he pronounce it Enster or Anster?
    The Blues steal a win - An omen?
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

There's Claughton, Claughton and Claughton in Lancs, all pronounced different. And Quernmore.

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Kirkcudbright.
  • ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Did he pronounce it Enster or Anster?
    Enster. Honestly trying to write down his email address was a challenge.

Ended up using the phonetic alphabet.

Drip, drip, drip.
    Its really barrel scraping one...10 civil servants had drinks and takeaway with no evidence Shapps had any idea.
    Well, surely to goodness nobody has ever thought Shapps has ever had any idea about anything.

The man is so dense you can actually see light bending round him.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Prue Dough?
    Prudda
    Good to know, should I ever return to working in and around the energy industry.
    Or become the station announcer at Newcastle.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,045
    Omicron has knackered my Fantasy Football.
  • dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Wemyss as well. There are some very interesting place names in Fife. Freuchie (British village cricket champions) and Auchtermuchty (birthplace of the Proclaimers) aren't challenging to pronounce but are nice names.
  • ydoethur said:

Drip, drip, drip.
    Well, surely to goodness nobody has ever thought Shapps has ever had any idea about anything.

Well yes, but in this case it seems he had a genuine serious reason he wasn't anywhere near it.

Now Boris having no idea about what was going on in his own house.....
  • JACK_W said:

Naught but Tory propaganda!
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Worked for me, anyway

DMT and ayahuasca

Perhaps next year...
    Mate, I've been depressed - on and off - for about 16 months. Sometimes severely, sometimes just a bit meh. I have had hints of suicidality. And also weeks of feeling fine, but then the dark void appears again.

This is not normal for me. I am used to being down, but I normally get the highs as well. This recent gloom feels much more relentless and it is partly due to the fucking plague and partly due to life events (many of them closely related to the plague)

I have no idea if this NEW post-ayahuasca mood will last but it DOES feel like I have at least nudged the mental needle. I am in a different groove. If I top myself next week, sorry, I was wrong

And I felt every single fear you now feel: I am too old, I have too much shit to stir, I don't want the bad trip, it is scary. All of that was and is true, and yet I had a great experience (again, I say this without tempting fate, I hope I don't open my wrists tomorrow)

Take the Risk. You are never too old for a bit of new religion
    Better or worse than heroin?
  • My daughter's been doing her Christmas Cards tonight to give out at the last day of school tomorrow and its quite funny listening to the passive aggressive nature of a seven year old.

"I don't want to do a card for Adam, he doesn't care about anyone. I'm only going to give him one kiss in the card. No, I won't give him any kisses.

Erin is sassy with me so I'm only going to give her a couple of kisses."
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    Foxy said:

Omicron has knackered my Fantasy Football.

Are they a new brazilian signing for Newcastle?
  • Everton level

ydoethur said:

Drip, drip, drip.

Well yes, but in this case it seems he had a genuine serious reason he wasn't anywhere near it.

Now Boris having no idea about what was going on in his own house.....
    Even if he had been there he wouldn't have known what was going on.

(Which one of Shapps or Johnson that refers to, I'll leave up to you.)
    JACK_W said:

The Lib Dems hit back ... Recount?
  • I've either got late onset booster symptoms (>24 hours after getting jabbed) or caught omicron off my daughter... Exciting times!
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited December 2021

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

A southerner, recently arrived in Newcastle announced that she was going to rent in "Widdy-o-pen" - it couldn't possibly be pronounced as it was spelled. And John Humphries was known to upbraid anyone who mentioned "Ponty-land".
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,706
    edited December 2021

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Theydon Bois is a mixture of new money and old money (it has the highest average house price in Epping Forest). That often influences how you pronounce it
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    These are all easy Scottish place names you are suggesting.

Now, if you know how to pronounce Glenzier then I will be impressed.
  • I will predict (and i have bet this way heavily) that the Lib Dems will win this by election. But they will lose it heavily at the general even though they will make some significant gains then too.
  • Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Worked for me, anyway

DMT and ayahuasca

Makes me wonder, just what wonders Shakespeare (or Leon) could produce, after a bucketful of Everclear 190-proof . . .
  • JACK_W said:

JACK_W said:

The Lib Dems hit back ... Recount?
    Isn't that game Blues vs Blues?

That could be an omen too.
  • Alistair said:

These are all easy Scottish place names you are suggesting.

Now, if you know how to pronounce Glenzier then I will be impressed.

Glingur.
    Yessss!!!
    Jarrod Branthwaite.
    JACK_W said:

Not so fast my aged friend!
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,865
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It is fantastic

Kirkcudbright.
    Via Strathaven and Milngavie.
This discussion has been closed.