Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The money moves sharply to the LDs in North Shropshire – politicalbetting.com

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    46.3%, good turnout tbh
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254
    Turnout 46.3 according to Sky
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    Pulpstar said:

ping said:

Money coming in for the LDs

LDs 1.33/1.4

Timpson doesn't seem very confident at all on Sky News.
    Who is timpson?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

ping said:

I’d be surprised if it isn’t fairly close. We’d know by now if either LDs/con had won a decent majority.

Looks to me like 2/1 on either party was a good bet, in hindsight.

My prediction from yesterday was LD 39.9%, Con 39.3%, Lab 9.6%, Reform 6.2%, Green 2.1%.
    Certainly some indications of possible closeness in reportage and spin-age.
  • Options
    ping said:

Pulpstar said:

ping said:

LDs 1.33/1.4

Who is timpson?
    MP for Eddisbury "need to regroup"...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ping said:

LDs 1.33/1.4

Chirstine Jardine of the Lib Dems wasn't looking that happy last hour.
  • Options
    ping said:

Pulpstar said:

ping said:

LDs 1.33/1.4

Who is timpson?
    Former mp for Crewe and Nantwich now Eddisbury.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Pulpstar said:

46.3%, good turnout tbh

Almost. My prediction was 43%.
  • Options
    Good Lord "COMFORTABLY"
  • Options

Ld 1.22/1.23
  • Options
    COMFORTABLY
  • Options
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1471657666103721985

That’s a nice swing, clear tactical voting
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited December 2021
    This is it for BoJo.

And onwards to 2024 for the Tories to be out
  • Options
    "1:46am
    Wow. I have been surprised at a lot of the Lib Dem's confidence but not only are they claiming victory, they are claiming a comfortable victory.

**NEW** Lib Dems say they *will* win North Shropshire by-election.

Lib Dem spokesperson: "We're not just going to win, we're going to win comfortably. This is an amazing night for the Liberal Democrats and a disaster for Boris Johnson."

— Peter Walker (@peterwalker99) December 17, 2021"

https://www.bordercountiesadvertizer.co.uk/news/19788472.live-blog-north-shropshire-by-election/
  • Options
    Ld 1.08/1.1
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Jardine's perked up a bit
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,415

I’m off to bed. I still think the Tories have it.
    That Green candidate is probably clueless, if not he wouldn’t be standing for the Greens in North Shrops.

That is so funny.
    The one in the green noddy hat and the wellingtons. In the news vacuum was our expert.
  • Options
    I don't think you come out with that on camera if you don't KNOW you've won.
  • Options
    All over for the Tories in North Shropshire. And perhaps also for Boris Johnson as Tory leader.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Called Old Bexley and Sidcup pretty damn well you can check.
    Don't have a clue tonight. So to bed!!!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Congratulations to the LDs on another byelection victory. Their party runs on the sugar hits of byelection gains to get the oxygen of publicity and to motivate activists.

They were also - it should be noted - lucky that Johnson's government was rocked by scandal in the middle of the byelection campaign.
  • Options
    NS live blog - Barrie White

1:49am
    If the Lib Dems are able to back up their predictions, then it is one of the biggest electoral shocks of modern politics.

North Shropshire has been blue in all of its guises and apart from the 1997 General Election, where the Lib Dems split Labour's vote, the vote for the Conservatives has been strong.

Christine Jardine is back and she says that Helen Morgan is going to be a 'fantastic MP'.

She says that people across the UK are 'fed up' of Tory politics.
  • Options
    Labour/LDs in 2024
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

If the Lib Dems are able to back up their predictions, then it is one of the biggest electoral shocks of modern politics.

North Shropshire has been blue in all of its guises and apart from the 1997 General Election, where the Lib Dems split Labour's vote, the vote for the Conservatives has been strong.

Christine Jardine is back and she says that Helen Morgan is going to be a 'fantastic MP'.

I'm not sure a defeat for the Blues after the last couple of weeks comes as a big shock, to be honest!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2021
    Sacked in the morning....he'll be sacked in the morning....sacked in the morrrrrrrning....sacked in morning.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I'm not sure a defeat for the Blues after the last couple of weeks comes as a big shock, to be honest!
    Big enough for govt work.
  • Options
    More seriously, i presume the Tories will let Boris take all the shit for Omicron wave, then get rid.
  • Options
    RobD said:

It's the 75th safest seat, rural, no remainers, very white, old. It's a very very bad result.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

It's the 75th safest seat, rural, no remainers, very white, old. It's a very very bad result.
    We must now expect 20+ seats for the LDs in 2024
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Bad, yes, but not shocking (as in unexpected).
  • Options
    The LD by-election machine is an unstoppable juggernaut. Even in Leave areas it seems.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson has united Leavers and Remainers.

Against him.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

Bad, yes, but not shocking (as in unexpected).
    Even with all the bad news around it was regarded as holdable by both the Tories and Lib Dems.
    Anyone saying otherwise is aftertiming.
  • Options
    I'm on the LDs at 5. When the party’s first team us going full throttle they are very hard to beat.
  • Options
    The Lib Dems really must target seats more carefully going forward. 20+ are in sight if they are clever
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Congratulations to the LDs on another byelection victory. Their party runs on the sugar hits of byelection gains to get the oxygen of publicity and to motivate activists.

They were also - it should be noted - lucky that Johnson's government was rocked by scandal in the middle of the byelection campaign.

Your prediction lasted 121 minutes?

I was on at 3-1 19 Nov. It was never in doubt 🙂
  • Options

General election 2019: North Shropshire[12]

Turnout 56,513 67.9 -1.1

So 46.3% turnout would be 36,288 votes.

Lib Dems 16,000 ; Tories 14,000 ; Labour 5,000 ?
  • Options

Labour/LDs in 2024

Bad news for Indyref2.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    No way back now for Boris. Gravity finally caught up with him.
  • Options
    I genuinely think this is the slow death of this iteration of the Tory Party
  • Options
    edited December 2021

The Lib Dems really must target seats more carefully going forward. 20+ are in sight if they are clever

Do they try and defend this one ?
    They've got incumbency but it's massively odds on to go back to the Tories at the next GE.
    Probably not I think.
  • Options
    edited December 2021

Wtf do the LDs actually believe in, though?

That’s what screwed them in 2010-15.

Is it still a party of empty promises and unreconciled contradictions? A vessel onto which members and voters project their political fantasies?
  • Options

Labour/LDs in 2024

Bad news for Indyref2.
    Or indeed Indyref3, 4 etc etc.
  • Options
    In October 1990 I was working on the LD campaign in Eastbourne which saw a shock gain. Within a few weeks Thatcher was out
  • Options
    Total vote has now been validated = 38,110 so guessing that counting is winding down?

Possibility of recounting, if not to establish winner, then by candidate(s) trying to save their deposit(s).
  • Options
    The moment it became clear the Tories had lost was when Edward Timpson MP was interviewed on Sky News at about 1:40am. He was grim-faced.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

And it looks to be your first political bet win. Welcome to the club.
  • Options
    JBriskin3 said:

rcs1000 said:

And it looks to be your first political bet win. Welcome to the club.
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees! Yeah yeah it’s lovely I like this

Thank you very welcome
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Will Boris go of his own accord or will they let Graham Brady have to risk a hernia?
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Ld 1.04/1.05
    Con 20/25
  • Options
    North Shropshire. North Shropshire !
    I know Gov'ts do lose by-elections, but just a disaster for Boris. It's a referendum on Boris and he's failed it.
  • Options
    They ever held this in 1997, bye bye
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

North Shropshire. North Shropshire !
    I know Gov'ts do lose by-elections, but just a disaster for Boris. It's a referendum on Boris and he's failed it.

North Shrop Hop
  • Options
    This thread has ended like Boris as PM.....
  • Options
    I was expecting an LD win by 5-10%. More than 10% would be a turn up for the books.
  • Options
    Was Blue Wall. Now the Blue Wail! LOL.
  • Options
    If the big Lib Dem claims are correct, this is pretty huge. It would imply a 30%+ swing.

We're not looking at simple mid-term swings, but at 1992-97 swings. Christchurch was 35.4%, Newbury 28.4% in that era.

Brecon and Radnor in 2019 was 12%. Eastbourne in 1990 was 20.0%.

It's not irretrievable for the Tories but they need to be pretty radical in their response. It's not "keep calm and carry on" here.
  • Options
    If the Lib Dems can win enough seats to viably support a minority Labour government by themselves, then the whole 'Labour need SNP' attack line is going to be way, way less potent.
  • Options
    Lib Dems surely onto take Newbury in 2024
  • Options

Was Blue Wall. Now the Blue Wail! LOL.

You want headlines Libdems write the best headlines.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    JBriskin3 said:

Pulpstar said:

Is it hard to get into a count - one of us here should try and head to the next by-election and report what's going on without the absolute codswallop most journos seem to come up with when they're trying to mark time.

PBers might be able to wangle a press pass?
    At a by-election it’s not so hard - you make friends with one of the friendless fringe candidates and get appointed as one of their quota of counting agents. All the candidates have the same allocation.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Pulpstar said:

Is it hard to get into a count - one of us here should try and head to the next by-election and report what's going on without the absolute codswallop most journos seem to come up with when they're trying to mark time.

PBers might be able to wangle a press pass?
    Very doable. Your average returning officer has little clue about online media but PB's readership, compared with (say) the Shropshire Star, should make a fairly compelling case.
    Press aren’t actually allowed onto the counting floor, Tho.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921

In October 1990 I was working on the LD campaign in Eastbourne which saw a shock gain. Within a few weeks Thatcher was out

You should write a book: "Thatcher: my part in her downfall." ;)
  • Options

If as seems likely the LD claim to have won N Shropshire is correct 69% of its parliamentary party will be women

Nice.
  • Options
    Big congrats to the LDs in North Shropshire!
  • Options

New Thread and another New Thread

This discussion has been closed.