Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The impact of the EURef on next CON leader betting

Comments

• taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

taffys said:

I see Nus Ghani's defence of her decision to back out is getting plenty of compliments on tw8tter.

Yes, it's a sound piece, as I would expect of Nus.

Text here:

http://www.nusghani.org.uk/news/brexit-or-not-brexit
    The ability to distill complex matters into compelling messages is a great and rare political gift. Will go far.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited February 2016
    Indigo said:

Okay you have had your smart arse point score, now answer the question.

My smart-arse point is the political reality. We're not going to be holding a second referendum in the foreseeable future.
  • Wanderer said:

Really? With the state of the Eurozone? The need for real reform inside the EC? It is foolish to believe that the EC is on some golden path and will just carry on as is. Remaining is not a choice for people that want a settled situation.

I thought it was the EU that was supposed to show how wicked it is by not accepting the results of referendums
    I would accept the outcome but you wrote expecting no situation to develop where the EC was not put back into play by a crisis, or its failure to keep to the Cameron deal etc.
    Whatever it does will be interpreted as a failure to keep to the deal. (That's not meant as a jibe. It's just reality.)

Should a Leaver take over after a narrrow Remain win they will come under pressure to call another referendum at every turn, especially if polling suggests the public has changed its mind. They will resist this as being politically farcical and they will then be attacked as "a secret Europhile" etc.
    Focusing the EC on keeping to the letter and spirit of the deal etc is what a well run Govt should do. It would also keep the civil service on their toes and deter them from slipping in gold plating to various EC directives. Dominc Raab would be a very useful chap in a cabinet role.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

FarmersForBritain
    The popular media assumption that UK farmers will lose all subsidies if we leave the EU is purely speculation and has no basis in fact.

Indeed, we will be able to design a subsidy regime (if we see fit) that suits the needs of our farmers, not French farmers
  • @TSE - you're letting Project Fear get the better of you, and going all gaylord ponceyboots.

You'll kick yourself if we Remain and this deal turns out to be meaningless for the City, which I suspect it will be.

As you said, this country has a fantastic future whether we're in or out. I think if Leave the world is our oyster.

Indigo said:

How much of the renegotiation has to survive before we decide we have been sold a up.

Legal opinions seem to feel that the emergency brake has a very high chance of being challenged at the ECJ almost immediately, what would be our position if that was shot down but the rest of the "deal" survived for the time being.

Since the Leave side have tied themselves in knots telling us that the renegotiation achieved exactly nothing, whether it unravels or not is irrelevant, surely? They can't have it both ways.
    The renegotiation left us in a weaker position than before.

What will happen is that the face-saving veils will be pulled away and we will be left exposed.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,307
    Wanderer said:

JackW said:

I suspect that the party will go for a unifying candidate, one from either side of this European split - look out for a Cabinet member who clearly is only softly supporting Leave or Remain.

Ahem.

Theresa May.

Obvious, innit?

(Assuming a Remain result, of course)
    I'd agree save one point.

May does at times exude a somewhat sour disposition. I'm not intimating that she adopt a forced Blair smile but the ability to empathize, genuine or not, smile and appear more clubbable would go a long way.

Clearly a long stint at the Home Office does not enhance the chuckle muscles but even "The Great She Elephant" was often amused and showed it whilst retaining the nuclear handbag for necessary chastisement of the errant faithful and non believers.
    Interesting. I think May has a rather charming smile when she uses it in interviews. You're right that she often doesn't use it.

Imo (and this is just a hunch) she would connect very well with swing voters who would find her reasonable and reassuring. She would also provide a change in style from Cameron without herself appearing weird or extreme.
    I agree with all this. Osborne and Gove are both very competent but totally unloveable. Boris is the reverse.

May is competent, not weird and can turn on the charm, even if she is not as loveable as Boris. She is a serious contender. I have here down as next Tory leader.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I still make a profit on a Jeb Bush nomination
  • Indigo said:

Indigo said:

How much of the renegotiation has to survive before we decide we have been sold a up.

Legal opinions seem to feel that the emergency brake has a very high chance of being challenged at the ECJ almost immediately, what would be our position if that was shot down but the rest of the "deal" survived for the time being.

Since the Leave side have tied themselves in knots telling us that the renegotiation achieved exactly nothing, whether it unravels or not is irrelevant, surely? They can't have it both ways.
    Well done that person.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    "UKIP have recorded a campaign song for Brexit and it’s hilariously crap"

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2016/02/23/ukip-brexit-song/

Not really UKIP, a former UKIP PPC... But all the same...

• OMG, what a face, has either of the Eagle sisters ever broken into a smile?

I've warmed up to Andy Burnham. This is his reaction to the 'who are you' heckle set to music

https://twitter.com/Jacob4MK/status/701851075691868165

She did briefly smile from the footage I saw.
  • Cameron might give good flashman in the HoC, but the real story over the last couple of days is the failure of Remain to get business on side. 36 out of 100 FTSE100 companies is an embarrasing total, given the intensity of the lobbying.

If Leave can get even 10 FTSE100 companies on board as well as others (wont be hard to beat Remain's 200 in total, the story will be that business is split; a big departure from the picture in 1975.
  • taffys said:

taffys said:

I see Nus Ghani's defence of her decision to back out is getting plenty of compliments on tw8tter.

Yes, it's a sound piece, as I would expect of Nus.

Text here:

http://www.nusghani.org.uk/news/brexit-or-not-brexit
    The ability to distill complex matters into compelling messages is a great and rare political gift. Will go far.
    Yes, and she's absolutely charming as well. I was a bit concerned that she might not go do down too well with some of the, how shall I put this, more traditional members of the local party, but they love her.
  • If the MPs ballot comes down to one from Remain and one from Leave, then I'd expect Osborne to reach 50% several ballots before the Leave candidate emerges. The MPs who really don't like Boris will be tied up already.

But, Osborne against who as the last two?
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995
    eek said:

@Morris_Dancer

It seems Mclaren still have major engine issues and Alonso is not a happy bunny in Barcelona...

The one saving grace of McLaren's woes!
  • @TSE - you're letting Project Fear get the better of you, and going all gaylord ponceyboots.

You'll kick yourself if we Remain and this deal turns out to be meaningless for the City, which I suspect it will be.

As you said, this country has a fantastic future whether we're in or out. I think if Leave the world is our oyster.
  • IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Indigo said:

My smart-arse point is the political reality. We're not going to be holding a second referendum in the foreseeable future.
    Which means it doesnt matter if the deal lasts ten minutes or not, if we are committed for the next decade anyway.
  • Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    At any other point in their history, Labour would have revelled in this Tory-on-Tory chair-flinging. But I’m not sure they really enjoyed it. It only made them look all the more irrelevant.

“Last week I was in Brussels,” burbled Jeremy Corbyn, “meeting European leaders. And one of them said to me…”

“‘Who are you?’” supplied Christopher Pincher (Con, Tamworth).

It was 35 seconds – seriously, I timed it – before the Tory mirth died down.

It’s a remarkable achievement. Even when senior Tories are openly savaging each other on the floor of the Commons, Jeremy Corbyn still manages to end up the butt of the joke.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12168677/EU-referendum-David-Cameron-treats-Boris-Johnson-to-the-thrashing-of-his-life.html

Is weird, one of the people who convinced me to switch to Leave has gone to Remain.

I'm still leaning to Leave (because of Gove) but Remain is something I have to consider given where I work and the lack of certainty over what Brexit means for access to the single market and the passport.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,726
    taffys said:

Sean_F said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Adam Afriyie
    With only scraps offered by an intransigent & arrogant EU elite, we'll be stronger, safer and better off out @vote_leave @Grassroots_Out

He was the future once .... according to himself.
    Soames was so right on Afriyie

The Mail on Sunday reports that Soames told the MP for Windsor: "You are a chateau bottled nuclear powered ****. You are totally f***ing disloyal, a f***ing disgrace to your party, your fellow MPs, your prime minister and your country."

"This is nothing more than a grotesque f***ing vanity project to promote your absurd f***ing campaign to become party leader. You aren’t up to it, man!"
    For anyone looking for the causes of a great Conservative split just look at the attitude of the toadying supporters of Cameron. They do Cameron no favours. It is the people with more balance that Cameron should listen to.
    Nicholas Soames as Mr Toad .... it certainly doesn't require a leap of faith.
    Nicholas Soames is Baron Harkonnen from Dune.
    Surely Jabba the Soames?
    That works, too.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,529
    Charles said:

FarmersForBritain
    The popular media assumption that UK farmers will lose all subsidies if we leave the EU is purely speculation and has no basis in fact.

Indeed, we will be able to design a subsidy regime (if we see fit) that suits the needs of our farmers, not French farmers
    Are you one of those Tories who likes to defend certain producer interests? Cheering Maggie when she tried to suppress Salmonella?
    edited February 2016
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Which means it doesnt matter if the deal lasts ten minutes or not, if we are committed for the next decade anyway.
    In domestic political terms, yes of course.

Equally, if it's a Leave, we'll have left, whether or not the warnings of the Remain side about the economic damage turned out to be right, and whether or not we do actually end up getting 'control of our borders' and all the other promises of the Leave side.

This is decision time. There's no Boris-style 'maybe we could rerun it' option. It's Remain or Leave.
  • Hollande has invited Corbyn to the Élysée Palace following meeting last week, source says.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    Alistair said:

I still make a profit on a Jeb Bush nomination

What's your number next to Donald Trump ?
    edited February 2016

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Equally, if it's a Leave, we'll have left, whether or not the warnings of the Remain side about the economic damage turned out to be right, and whether or not we do actually end up getting 'control of our borders' and all the other promises of the Leave side.

This is decision time. There's no Boris-style 'maybe we could rerun it' option. It's Remain or Leave.
    and conversely if we Remain and the deal turns out to be not worth the paper it is printed on ?

If the deal gets shredded and the next Tory leader shrugs and says he is sorry, he better get used to relying on kipper voters to support his minority government after the next GE.
  • I can't imagine why the President of France would get on well with the UK hating Jeremy Corbyn :lol:
  • Charles said:

Indigo said:

The renegotiation left us in a weaker position than before.

What will happen is that the face-saving veils will be pulled away and we will be left exposed.
    I think Leave should campaign on the basis that if we Remain, we will be forced into the euro by default.
  • Hollande has invited Corbyn to the Élysée Palace following meeting last week, source says.

Maybe they can talk about how to deal with terrorist attacks?
  • Mr. Eek, the problem being the engine is a Honda?

I believe an upgraded version will be in place for the second test. Could be wrong.
    edited February 2016
    Indigo said:

and conversely if we Remain and the deal turns out to be not worth the paper it is printed on ?

Then that's tough, although as I said, from the media coverage of the alleged paucity of the deal, why should it matter?

As I've said many times, there is no absolute certainty about the future. We have to make a decision factoring in the uncertainties. But clearly, the uncertainties on the Leave side are massively bigger. We don't even know what we'd be trying to achieve, let alone how it would pan out.
  • NormNorm Posts: 1,251

JackW said:

Adam Afriyie
    With only scraps offered by an intransigent & arrogant EU elite, we'll be stronger, safer and better off out @vote_leave @Grassroots_Out

The Mail on Sunday reports that Soames told the MP for Windsor: "You are a chateau bottled nuclear powered ****. You are totally f***ing disloyal, a f***ing disgrace to your party, your fellow MPs, your prime minister and your country."

"This is nothing more than a grotesque f***ing vanity project to promote your absurd f***ing campaign to become party leader. You aren’t up to it, man!"
    Soames is a rather unpleasant individual.
    I am not particularly keen on people rubbishing MPs simply because of their EU views whether it is Soames on one hand or Afriyie on the other.

However it is worth recalling Soames's own father Sir Christopher Soames was our first EU Commissioner. As a young teenager back around 1975 I remember waiting at Dover ferry port for ages while we waited for the grand Daimler or some such carrying an imperial looking Sir Christopher Soames through the plebs.
  • If Leave win, I can't see anyway for Cameron to stay, nor any obvious alternative to Johnson, for all his faults. His price should therefore not be too far behind that for Leave. Gove is way too unpopular.

Turning it around, a #voteleavegetboris meme is helpful to outers amongst the part of the electorate that hates Cameron and Osborne
    I thought this was a joke. Sadly not.

This by @BrunoBrussels would've been meat and drink for Eurosceptics #EUreferendum #Brexit https://t.co/xctvp4RlHc
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,910

I've tried getting in touch with his home and work email addresses.

I fear he may be no longer with us. We were pretty good friends.

Fenster said:

Is Financier on that list of top business people?

Where is he these days? Maybe he's gone bust?
    retired on his billions
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    notme said:

I'm very much an inner but exit is tempting in that it would help precipitate the managed decline of the city. A too large financial sector is not healthy for an economy, which should be focusing on financing the needs of industry i.e producing the stuff we really need. Of course part of the reason we have such large financial sector is that we are doing much of the financing for the rest of the world. A good thing you might say. But 2008 was a game-changer. It was a reminder that financial institutions are not 100% secure and need the state to stand behind them. Either we are part of a broader banking union and accept an external regulator or we manage down the system.

FFS. If you have a problem with the size of the financial services, dont aim to make it smaller, aim to grow the rest of your economy.

It's like saying Scotland is too dependent on oil revenue, so lets stop drilling for the stuff.
    Quite. It seems to be the equivalent of "Vote Remain so that we can close down an industry and put people out of work." Good luck with that.

Indigo said:

Then that's tough, although as I said, from the media coverage of the alleged paucity of the deal, why should it matter?
    I look forward to you trying to sell that view on the doorstep :)

Charles said:

FarmersForBritain

Are you one of those Tories who likes to defend certain producer interests? Cheering Maggie when she tried to suppress Salmonella?
    Not particularly.

I believe there is a case for subsidies for marginal farming communities (e.g. hill farming) because I believe there are environmental and community benefits, and because otherwise we'd end up with depopulation. But that's driven by positive externalities rather than producer interests.

I don't believe that there are grounds for subsidising agribusinesses that are perfectly capable of competing efficiently in a free market.

But, unfortunately, the CAP doesn't work for us. My Mum used to get loads of dosh to grow wildflowers in her meadows. The fact that she preferred to grow wildflowers vs. actually have to work the land wasn't a factor in the government's mind.

I don't recall enough of the salmonella issue to comment specifically on the UK policy at the time. But I would note that live and, increasingly live attenuated, salmonella vaccines are seen as market standard in most developed markets. Food safety is a big issue, and one that we should address seriously.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,910

@TSE - you're letting Project Fear get the better of you, and going all gaylord ponceyboots.

Typical Tory , they like to be dominated
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,575
    Sean_F said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Adam Afriyie

For anyone looking for the causes of a great Conservative split just look at the attitude of the toadying supporters of Cameron. They do Cameron no favours. It is the people with more balance that Cameron should listen to.
    Nicholas Soames as Mr Toad .... it certainly doesn't require a leap of faith.
    Nicholas Soames is Baron Harkonnen from Dune.
    But with a somewhat better moisturising regime....
    Telegraph suspends comment on relaunched online content

Newspaper is deciding whether to reinstate function as it undergoes website revamp and points readers who wish to comment to social media
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/feb/22/telegraph-suspends-comment-relaunched-online-content?CMP=share_btn_tw

Indigo said:

As I've said many times, there is no absolute certainty about the future. We have to make a decision factoring in the uncertainties. But clearly, the uncertainties on the Leave side are massively bigger. We don't even know what we'd be trying to achieve, let alone how it would pan out.
    http://www.cityam.com/235154/britain-should-vote-for-brexit-before-the-inevitable-eurozone-meltdown

I'm not saying I agree with this guy but you can appreciate how your assertion the uncertainties are bigger on the leave side can easily be challenged.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,529

I can't imagine why the President of France would get on well with the UK hating Jeremy Corbyn :lol:

The obvious reason would be that he doesn't want Brexit and that Corbyn being less than enthusiastic about staying in isn't helping. I wouldn't be surprised if Merkel or even Cameron weren't in on it. Given Hollande is a socialist, at least by name, perhaps he's seen as the best person to do some arm-twisting.
  • John_NJohn_N Posts: 389
    @Alastair

I disagree with your analysis of the first scenario. In the event that Leave wins, Cameron will go for sure. He will have to. But it is not necessarily the case that someone who was a Leaver during the referendum campaign will lead the exit negotiations. Think shades of grey. By the time of the vote some Remainers will have established themselves as less headbanging than others. The editors and columnists and the chatterers who follow them will have engaged in a lot of their usual sport of talking on and on about future possibilities, so someone or other could get themselves positioned, just about.

If Remain wins by a small margin, the bigger question than who the Tories select as leader is what happens to the Tory party. Many could leave and join UKIP. Or they could back an extremist Leaver within the party, who might even fashion and flash the shiny bargaining counter of forming a new party. Not that to shine it up would necessitate playing it. It would be hard for anyone to say that the issue of EU membership was now completely settled, with the vast majority of the members and supporters of the English caste system's "natural party of government" having been on the losing side of the referendum.

A big Remain victory - are you joking or what? I know Gaussian distributions are popular on the pro-workhouse far right, but think standard deviations, please! :)

Remain is unlikely to get more than 56%. Got to assume that the Leavers know how to GOTV. They seem to have managed well at the last two EU elections.
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

If the deal gets shredded and the next Tory leader shrugs and says he is sorry, he better get used to relying on kipper voters to support his minority government after the next GE.

If a deal got shredded a new Prime Minister would just bring forward the legislative changes needed to annul the treaty of the european union. There would be no need for a referendum. And watch the sh*t hit the fan.
  • runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    If a deal got shredded a new Prime Minister would just bring forward the legislative changes needed to annul the treaty of the european union

I think you mean 'could', not would. There is zero chance that would happen IMO, unless UKIP win the next GE.
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Hollande has invited Corbyn to the Élysée Palace following meeting last week, source says.

Instructions on how not to run a country? The whole 'socialism' thing is a bit of a lark, but it hasnt worked out how we expected. Thank God we have you to send our entrepreneurs and surplus labour.
  • JackW said:
    No I live in Maidenhead now and read the Advertiser to see what local trivia (there's little real news here) they can come up with.
    edited February 2016
    Cameron sounded like a right berk when he held up the possibility of British ministers and civil servants being completely unable to conclude exit negotiations within two years if the electorate decides that the country will leave the EU.

I mean look how brilliantly well, ahem, they just did in Brussels. Surely they could handle a different mandate? Y'know, democracy and stuff.

I'm not such a politics junkie as many of my fellow discussants here. Has any leading Leaver actually made the above point?

Hollande has invited Corbyn to the Élysée Palace following meeting last week, source says.

Ooh! The Corporation of the City of London will be watching closely :)
    I've lived next to farmyards for decades, none of these family run farmers want CAP.

They want to act as small businesses, not receivers of form filling subsidises.
    Charles said:

Charles said:

FarmersForBritain

Not particularly.

I believe there is a case for subsidies for marginal farming communities (e.g. hill farming) because I believe there are environmental and community benefits, and because otherwise we'd end up with depopulation. But that's driven by positive externalities rather than producer interests.

I don't believe that there are grounds for subsidising agribusinesses that are perfectly capable of competing efficiently in a free market.

But, unfortunately, the CAP doesn't work for us. My Mum used to get loads of dosh to grow wildflowers in her meadows. The fact that she preferred to grow wildflowers vs. actually have to work the land wasn't a factor in the government's mind.

I don't recall enough of the salmonella issue to comment specifically on the UK policy at the time. But I would note that live and, increasingly live attenuated, salmonella vaccines are seen as market standard in most developed markets. Food safety is a big issue, and one that we should address seriously.

Indigo said:

Christ on a bike, more rhetorical bollocks, you just can't help yourself can you.

You have told us that you feel the changes while less than ideal are substantial, the Remain side of the argument presumably feels likewise. If they turn out to be much less substantial it calls into question the basis of your decision. Unless of course you really think they are worthless flim-flam, in which case you should be honest, rather than trying to tell everyone how good it is as a means to convert them to your cause.

Your argument appears to be that substance of the deal is beside the point, so long as it provides a means to get people to vote for Remain, and if it subsequently gets scrapped by the ECJ, or voted down by the European Parliament then thats life - its a view I suppose, but you better get used to sharing the green benches with the kippers if it happens.
    My local paper ran a story about the chemist opening 30 mins late, but it didn't in the end.

Nice photo of window notice though :smiley:

JackW said:
    No I live in Maidenhead now and read the Advertiser to see what local trivia (there's little real news here) they can come up with.
  • I can't imagine why the President of France would get on well with the UK hating Jeremy Corbyn :lol:

The obvious reason would be that he doesn't want Brexit and that Corbyn being less than enthusiastic about staying in isn't helping. I wouldn't be surprised if Merkel or even Cameron weren't in on it. Given Hollande is a socialist, at least by name, perhaps he's seen as the best person to do some arm-twisting.
    Hollande can always point out that the Eurozone now has the ability to hammer the City of London, banks and hedge funds alike. That would be compelling to Corbyn.
  • NormNorm Posts: 1,251

I've lived next to farmyards for decades, none of these family run farmers want CAP.

Charles said:

Charles said:

FarmersForBritain

Not particularly.

Knowing a number of farmers I'd say they're as split down the middle as the rest of us.
  • Indigo said:

Your argument appears to be that substance of the deal is beside the point, so long as it provides a means to get people to vote for Remain, and if it subsequently gets scrapped by the ECJ, or voted down by the European Parliament then thats life - its a view I suppose, but you better get used to sharing the green benches with the kippers if it happens.

Err, no, that's not my argument.

I've got work to do, so I'll have to leave trying to improve your comprhension skills to another time.
    taffys said:

Indigo said:

http://www.cityam.com/235154/britain-should-vote-for-brexit-before-the-inevitable-eurozone-meltdown

I'm not saying I agree with this guy but you can appreciate how your assertion the uncertainties are bigger on the leave side can easily be challenged.
    Jim Mellon is a guy that I hugely respect. He's a tremendously savvy businessman
    edited February 2016
    runnymede said:

If a deal got shredded a new Prime Minister would just bring forward the legislative changes needed to annul the treaty of the european union

I think you mean 'could', not would. There is zero chance that would happen IMO, unless UKIP win the next GE.

The Kippers wont win the GE, however if it all falls apart and Cameron has continued with his lyingoverselling I can see a chunk of the Tory party peel off and join Farage's merry band. Boost the kipper vote over 20% at the next GE and things start to get interesting. It not going to be rugby rules, there is going to be bucket loads of bitterness and recriminations - hopes of pulling the party together afterwards appear to be fading, notice the number of members that skipped Cameron at the '22 last night.
  • Shadow chancellor John McDonnell is under fire after employing a former Momentum and Green Party staffer to work in his office.

Joe Ryle helped organise for activist group Momentum in London, where some MPs fear it is behind attempts to deselect them.

He also played an active role in aviation campaign group Plane Stupid, with whom he was arrested after a protest at Stansted Airport.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/shadow-chancellor-john-mcdonnell-under-fire-for-employing-momentum-and-plane-stupid-activist-a3186991.html

Charles said:

Charles said:

FarmersForBritain

Not particularly.

My Mum toyed with the idea of not claiming the subsidies because she hated the paperwork so much. But it helped to have the income to mean that the farm only ran at a small loss.
  • Charles said:

Jim Mellon is a guy that I hugely respect. He's a tremendously savvy businessman

Cough.

BRICs.

(Actually I agree with you, but exactly the same argument he has been using to trash FTSE100 chief execs applies to his record).
  • John Rentoul tweets: Good by Alastair Meeks, but could be 3 years from EU refdm to Tory leadership election (& I doubt it'll be Gove) http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/02/23/the-impact-of-the-euref-onbetting-on-the-next-con-leader/
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,460

JackW said:

JackW said:

Adam Afriyie

I fear they will not be exchanging Christmas cards in the coming years.
    I've become a real fan of Nick Soames in recent weeks. His Twitter account is hilarious
    To return an old favour: years ago I had an odd request from a constituent (of unknown political views) - could I get him and his wife some tickets for a particular area of Ascot (can't remember if it was the Royal Box or something else - but something not generally available). I like to oblige when I can, but have little idea where Ascot is, let alone any influence. I scratched my head and thought of asking Soames, as the sort of chap who might know some society racing people. He said yes, he'd be pleased to help, and did so. No possible political or other advantage to him, he was just being friendly.

Whether my constituent voted Labour in gratitude to me, or Tory in gratitude to Soames, I have no idea. But it went into my little list of weird things that constituency MPs get asked.
    Gives an opportunity to post this propaganda

Easily the most crass lobbying I've ever seen

https://youtu.be/fxis7Y1ikIQ

Shadow chancellor John McDonnell is under fire after employing a former Momentum and Green Party staffer to work in his office.

Joe Ryle helped organise for activist group Momentum in London, where some MPs fear it is behind attempts to deselect them.

He also played an active role in aviation campaign group Plane Stupid, with whom he was arrested after a protest at Stansted Airport.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/shadow-chancellor-john-mcdonnell-under-fire-for-employing-momentum-and-plane-stupid-activist-a3186991.html

edited February 2016
    Charles said:

taffys said:

Indigo said:

If Mellon is correct the EU is desperate to yoke Britain to the project before the whole thing explodes.

Either way we will have to help. But if we are out at the time, we will help on our terms.

Charles said:

Cough.

BRICs.

(Actually I agree with you, but exactly the same argument he has been using to trash FTSE100 chief execs applies to his record).
    Cough

Manx.

(two can play that game)
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995

Indigo said:

I don't think Cameron can have it both ways. His argument is he's got something that, apparently, people were saying he couldn't get. If the child benefit changes don't happen after a Remain vote then I'd hope the Tories would seek to have Cameron removed as PM.
  • Charles said:

(two can play that game)

Quite, it's bollocks, which is why I was disappointed to hear him playing it.
    edited February 2016
    Cameron Direct...

Chris Ship
    They've lined them up on the balconies for Cameron's Q&A on #euref at @O2 HQ. Feels like election time again. https://t.co/U1kA544HzD
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MrHarryCole: Line from Eurosceptic MPs after PM demanded they spell out what model they want - Swiss, Norwegian, Canadian etc: "We want a British model."

Which looks like what, exactly?

Charles said:

(two can play that game)

May be you read a different article to me?

He doesn't mention BRICs at all, but puts more weight on the views of entrepreneurs and business builders than those of managers of MNCs.

He also suggests that Italy and France haven't resolved their structural issues and that when they go pop it is better that we are out than in. France I agree with; Italy less convinced by.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,997
    edited February 2016
    Indigo said:

runnymede said:

The Kippers wont win the GE, however if it all falls apart and Cameron has continued with his lyingoverselling I can see a chunk of the Tory party peel off and join Farage's merry band. Boost the kipper vote over 20% at the next GE and things start to get interesting. It not going to be rugby rules, there is going to be bucket loads of bitterness and recriminations - hopes of pulling the party together afterwards appear to be fading, notice the number of members that skipped Cameron at the '22 last night.
    Corn Laws all over again?
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Line from Eurosceptic MPs after PM demanded they spell out what model they want - Swiss, Norwegian, Canadian etc: "We want a British model."

An independent, proud nation trading with the world and co-operating with our neighbours when it makes sense to collaborate
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,139
    Charles said:

taffys said:

Indigo said:

Last time I saw Jim (last year) he was banging the table about how you needed to buy the Euro as it was massively undervalued.
    edited February 2016
    Business joins the Brexit debate says the BBC, before telling us that certain named City and other big business interests are backing Remain (mainly the usual suspects plus a couple of dudes from Goldman Sachs). Curiously they don't give a voice to any who back Leave. I wonder how hard they tried to find some. Is there fear of further spooking the markets?

(Please recall: the Corporation of the City of London has so far not publicly adopted a corporate position, and contrary to what Reuters have asserted it is not, repeat not, obvious that were it to back one side or the other, it would back Remain.)

Relocation to Germany looks like a goer for some of the said interests anyway, whether it's Leave or Remain. Lots of cheap immigrant labour. The prospect of higher profits for businesses and an increasing ability on their part to make larger debt repayments. Yum yum! Then again, the German government hasn't played doggo for financial interests the way successive British governments have done for more than 300 years.

OK, chatters! What'll be the impact on the politics of the referendum if there's another Lehman's, maybe an order of magnitude or two bigger than the last one, before voting day?
  • Charles said:

He doesn't mention BRICs at all, but puts more weight on the views of entrepreneurs and business builders than those of managers of MNCs.

He also suggests that Italy and France haven't resolved their structural issues and that when they go pop it is better that we are out than in. France I agree with; Italy less convinced by.

I was referring to an interview on the radio where he was trashing the FTSE chief execs' letter on the grounds that their share prices hadn't performed well since 1999.

Whilst I don't disagree with some of his points in the CityAM article, a year ago he was advocating investing in the Eurozone:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/11480957/Jim-Mellon-Now-is-the-time-for-Britons-to-buy-European-property.html
    Charles said:

Charles said:

(two can play that game)

Spain has reformed. Portugal has made good progress. Italy is on the road, but there's a long way to go.

France doesn't realise there's a journey it needs to go on.
  • volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Take Osborne and Johnson out of the betting and look at the 3rd and 4th fav.Javid's fantasy is Chancellor under Osborne,which leaves Theresa May ,who is adopting a Tory centrist position on the EUref.May has done a long shift at the Home Office during which she has proven herself to be a safe pair of hands.She is more credible as a Unity candidate, a safe centrist.WH offer 9-1.Those on Osborne at 16-1 and Gove at 28-1 would do well to have a saver on May at 9-1.She could do OK up against Jezza.
    On the McDonnell for leader stuff coming from Ian Warren.has anyone actually spoken to John?He is keen not to repeat the heart attack he suffered not so long back.Labour leadership is a guaranteed heart-attack for fit people,let alone those with a history of heart problems.He may well reject the offer.
  • WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Indigo said:

runnymede said:

Who are going to be the Whigs in this reenactment?
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

Indigo said:

Last time I saw Jim (last year) he was banging the table about how you needed to buy the Euro as it was massively undervalued.
    Yeh, but anyone prepared to throw money at loss-making biotechs is a good egg in my book ;)
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    My South African colleague remarked that the EU negotiations by Dave were an opportunity wasted. I had to agree

Charles said:

I was referring to an interview on the radio where he was trashing the FTSE chief execs' letter on the grounds that their share prices hadn't performed well since 1999.

Whilst I don't disagree with some of his points in the CityAM article, a year ago he was advocating investing in the Eurozone:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/11480957/Jim-Mellon-Now-is-the-time-for-Britons-to-buy-European-property.html
    Buying property is not the same as investing in the Eurozone.

• Charles said:

It's worse, because you can't exit easily.
  • Charles said:

taffys said:

Indigo said:

Having been involved in building a business from scratch that does 90% of its trading outside the UK I can honestly say that the EU has made very little difference to us. The one annoying thing is that we still have to collect national VAT at different rates and under different rules for the events that we put on in EU member states. Leaving the EU would not change that, of course. In fact, we may actually find out that if the UK does leave the EU has been saving us a whole heap of paperwork that would otherwise have to be done.

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

An independent, proud nation trading with the world and co-operating with our neighbours when it makes sense to collaborate
    It's hardly rocket science, is it?
  • eekeek Posts: 27,352
    edited February 2016

Mr. Eek, the problem being the engine is a Honda?

I believe an upgraded version will be in place for the second test. Could be wrong.

Yep, however, Yasuhisa Arai is leaving immediately as supposedly the improved engine still isn't enough

Indigo said:

It is perfectly true that there are some considerable uncertainties on the Leave side. But there are equally considerable uncertainties on the Remain side. And the Remain side have been very very loath to provide any sort of clear account of what Remain would mean.

Getting away from financial matters, for instance, what would Remaining mean for our legal system, for - say - trial by jury? Justice and Home Affairs has a very wide reach and affects really quite sensitive issues relating to policing, investigations, the criminal process, incarceration, the liberty of the citizen, the balance between the state and the citizen, the burden and the standard of proof, habeas corpus, civil liberties, the collection of evidence, pre-trial disclosure and so on. Britain's approach to these is very different to how it is in most Continental European countries. How will an increasingly integrated EU deal with this?

The Remain position seems to be - for many anyway - no more than a version of the sunk cost fallacy. See Javid, for instance. We should never have gone in. It's probably not right for us. But we've been in for so long we may as well stay. Idiotic really. The past has happened. It's no reason for justifying what one should do in the future if that future is, as best we cant tell, not the right course for us.

• On the McDonnell for leader stuff coming from Ian Warren.has anyone actually spoken to John?He is keen not to repeat the heart attack he suffered not so long back.Labour leadership is a guaranteed heart-attack for fit people,let alone those with a history of heart problems.He may well reject the offer.

thanks for that insight.

Charles said:

Individual properties are a sh1tty investment anyway because of liquidity.

But if you were buying a second home and intend to ride the cycle then it was a good time to buy.

Like when I bought my US property in 2008 - 45% off the asking price and cable north of $1.90.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,997
    Wanderer said:

Indigo said:

runnymede said:

Sadly that's a good question. Unless the LD's are quietly putting efforts into rebuilding.
    With property, you get the opportunity of rental income.

Imagine us renting out our membership of the EU.

We'd need to charge 10bn just to break even.

Any takers on the current terms?
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    edited February 2016
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

With or without a deal with the EU involving the free movement of people, capital, goods and services?

I can't imagine why the President of France would get on well with the UK hating Jeremy Corbyn :lol:

Hollande can always point out that the Eurozone now has the ability to hammer the City of London, banks and hedge funds alike. That would be compelling to Corbyn.
    Until someone points out to him that that means Labour won't have any money to piss away when/if they form a government again.

Charles said:

Charles said:

Individual properties are a sh1tty investment anyway because of liquidity.

But if you were buying a second home and intend to ride the cycle then it was a good time to buy.

Like when I bought my US property in 2008 - 45% off the asking price and cable north of $1.90.
    I bought a year later, and got a very cheap property... but at a much worse exchange rate.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    https://i.imgur.com/KOjipPH.jpg

Historical Republican nominee favourably chart.

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

With or without a deal with the EU involving the free movement of people, capital, goods and services?

Speaking personally, I would prefer not. I would want our relationship with the EU to be similar to our relationship with the United States, Canada, Australia, and other advanced economies. I have no problem with the idea of foreign countries imposing immigration controls on our citizens.

But, other Leave campaigners will see it differently, and prefer to keep free migration.

The Eurozone has very little ability to regulate hedge funds, because most of them are Bermuda domiciled. They merely have a London based "investment advisor". So the Bermuda management company pays the UK Ltd Company a relatively small fee for advice. The result of this is that performance fees accrue tax free in Bermuda.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,575

Wanderer said:

Indigo said:

runnymede said:

Sadly that's a good question. Unless the LD's are quietly putting efforts into rebuilding.
    Quietly? More a case of silent running....
This discussion has been closed.