Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The impact of the EURef on next CON leader betting

SystemSystem Posts: 12,032
edited February 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The impact of the EURef on next CON leader betting

In a rational world, the Conservative party would select the candidate who is best able to connect with the concerns of the public and develop and explain Conservative policies to meet those concerns.  However, we are dealing with the Conservative party here and the successful candidate is going to need to win over two different electorates long before he or she gets to the voters who will …

Read the full story here

Comments

• CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    edited February 2016
    First.......again!
  • The other factor is that as with Thatcher, Cameron will move heaven & earth to secure his successor - it was noteworthy in the Commons yesterday how he treated longstanding Eurosceptics with respect (and indeed, after his initial dig at Boris's 'two votes' policy declined subsequent invitations from the Labour benches to be disobliging about Boris personally, despite journalist's interests in talking up a 'Feud') - so if Osborne is a busted flush, I suspect Cameron will see Gove as a 'safe pair of hands' to be trusted to carry on the project until the fever subsides and the patient returns to some semblance of normality. Cameron will stop Boris or perish in the attempt.
  • JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Thirth!
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,160
    After yesterdays ferrets in a sack day are the Conservatives capable of standing in 2020 ?
  • Telegraph sketch writer spotted this as well:

But rather more interesting than this question, or the Prime Minister’s answer, was the Mayor’s body language. Both while asking and while listening, he wasn’t merely folding his arms – he was practically hugging himself, as if in self-protection. He could barely have looked more uneasy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12168677/EU-referendum-David-Cameron-treats-Boris-Johnson-to-the-thrashing-of-his-life.html
  • After yesterdays ferrets in a sack day are the Conservatives capable of standing in 2020 ?

In the land of the blind, etc., etc........
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,541

First.......again!

Too busy stuffing my face with chips....
    Meanwhile Cameron sort of got his Blair Iraq moment.

The sight of a PM telling redacted versions of the truth to his own party while having to rely on the opposition is fast becoming a fixture.

After yesterdays ferrets in a sack day are the Conservatives capable of standing in 2020 ?

In the land of the blind, etc., etc........
    I meant on PB :-)
  • "the party faithful in particular aren’t feeling particularly obliged to consider the views of the general public."

Interesting speculation, but is there any evidence for it?
  • The next leader needs to be one who can:
    1: Accept the result of the referendum (whatever it is) and move on.
    2: Unite the party back together.
    3: Deal with the economy.
    4: Beat the Labour Party at the election.

I now think Gove.
  • Michael Gove will not be a candidate for Prime Minister unless he has overcome, to his own satisfaction, his fear of flying. That is why he is 28/1 against. And this is where the pb Tory activists can help us: during last year's election, when Gove visited your marginal constituency, did he arrive by helicopter?
  • IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited February 2016

The next leader needs to be one who can:
    1: Accept the result of the referendum (whatever it is) and move on.
    2: Unite the party back together.
    3: Deal with the economy.
    4: Beat the Labour Party at the election.

I now think Gove.

I am pretty much the other end of the party to you, and I agree as well.

If Gove manages to pull of a couple more well scripted and well reported speeches over the next four months, that are received well in all quarters of the party and some sections of the public, I think he is in pole position - and he is a far too considered and careful politician to go around leaving hostages to fortune like Boris tends to.
    edited February 2016

Telegraph sketch writer spotted this as well:

But rather more interesting than this question, or the Prime Minister’s answer, was the Mayor’s body language. Both while asking and while listening, he wasn’t merely folding his arms – he was practically hugging himself, as if in self-protection. He could barely have looked more uneasy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12168677/EU-referendum-David-Cameron-treats-Boris-Johnson-to-the-thrashing-of-his-life.html

Boris expected a gentleman's game of rugby, and a bit of back slapping and a couple of beers in the bar afterwards. Cameron kicked him in the balls. The question is what does Boris do next, to keep any credibility he needs to come out all guns blazing. If he comes out for another round of rugger and gets kicked in the nads again, people are going to start wondering if he enjoys it.
  • Michael Gove will not be a candidate for Prime Minister unless he has overcome, to his own satisfaction, his fear of flying. That is why he is 28/1 against. And this is where the pb Tory activists can help us: during last year's election, when Gove visited your marginal constituency, did he arrive by helicopter?

Conquered, apparently:

But he was spotted by The Jewish Chronicle newspaper on a recent El Al flight to Tel Aviv, and admitted that he owed his more relaxed attitude to sessions with a hypnotist. This is good news for Mrs Gove, the journalist Sarah Vine, who once wrote that air travel would be easier if she could book Michael in with the bags.

But it’s perhaps not so good news for Boris Johnson and Theresa May. It was always said that his fear of flying ruled out Gove as prime minister material. Not any more. Chocks away!

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/comment/columns/atticus/article1357312.ece
  • Indigo said:

Boris expected a gentleman's game of rugby, and a bit of back slapping and a couple of beers in the bar afterwards. Cameron kicked him in the balls. The question is what does Boris do next, to keep any credibility he needs to come out all guns blazing. If he comes out for another round of rugger and gets kicked in the nads again, people are going to start wondering if he enjoys it.
    I'm not sure Boris had any right to expect a gentleman's game of rugby, having dumped the PM by text 9 minutes before going on TV....

If Boris want to be PM he needs to command the Commons (or Tory MPs will stop him getting to first base) - yesterday's outing was not an encouraging start.....
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914

The sight of a PM telling redacted versions of the truth to his own party while having to rely on the opposition is fast becoming a fixture.

It's been awhile since a PM has gone from a position of strength to a busted flush. Blair lasted years after Iraq, but even if he wins handily I don't see Cameron lasting much longer - I think alistair underestimates how bitter and moaning the losers will be.

Conquered, apparently:

But he was spotted by The Jewish Chronicle newspaper on a recent El Al flight to Tel Aviv, and admitted that he owed his more relaxed attitude to sessions with a hypnotist. This is good news for Mrs Gove, the journalist Sarah Vine, who once wrote that air travel would be easier if she could book Michael in with the bags.

But it’s perhaps not so good news for Boris Johnson and Theresa May. It was always said that his fear of flying ruled out Gove as prime minister material. Not any more. Chocks away!

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/comment/columns/atticus/article1357312.ece
    In that case, Gove is worth a small wager; if it loses, I shall blame El Al.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914
    Indigo said:

Boris' ambition for the top job and there need to Take on Cameron at some point was well known - I can it believe he did not think Cameron would fight back any other way, he's known to be good with cutting remarks.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    kle4 said:

It's been awhile since a PM has gone from a position of strength to a busted flush. Blair lasted years after Iraq, but even if he wins handily I don't see Cameron lasting much longer - I think alistair underestimates how bitter and moaning the losers will be.
    Surely you are wrong. The Conservative party will debate the issue calmly and without rancour. Having lanced the boil it will then accept the result and come together as one behind the new leader.

Either that or...
  • The influence of pb. PaddyPower's odds against Gove are no longer 28/1 but 18/1 and it is not even breakfast time. But PP do go 33/1 Gove to be PM after the next election, so if you do not mind tying up your stake till 2020 and are sure Corbyn cannot win ...
  • kle4 said:

I think alistair underestimates how bitter and moaning the losers will be.
    Why? We haven't got any recent experience of 'bitter & moaning losers' have we?

Au contraire - I suspect after the disappointment - no doubt laid at the door of the Electoral Commission for picking the 'wrong' Lead Leave team - I suspect we have years, if not decades of 'I told you so's, 'You should have listened to me' 'I want a judge led enquiry' and 'Monica from Leeds has emailed me....'

That's why Cameron is demob happy - will he make this referendum the third in a row he's won?

Either way, he's off.....
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,149
    Interesting piece, I've long thought that Boris candidacy for the leadership is one that will either never materialise or simply will get strangled at stage 1. You get the impression that there is a difference of opinion between the Parliamentary party and the activists however I think that when you scratch the surface of the activist enthusiasm for Boris they realise that he isn't really leadership material. Suspect MP's would ensure he wasn't in the final two so the activists won't come into the equation.

Obviously the outcome of EUref will have a significant impact on the Conservative leadership which is a known quantity. I wonder though if the fallout from the result is even slightly fractious that it will give Labour moderates the opportunity to mount a serious challenge to Corbyn? Obviously historically Labour has been catastrophically crap at mounting a coup against their leader but if the Conservatives were engaging in post referendum blood letting they might perceive that having a comically inept leader was at that point absolutely intolerable etc.

My strong suspicion is that the result will be around 60:40 to remain. I'd also be looking at which of the Leave cabinet ministers will be dispensed with in a post-referendum reshuffle and I'd be looking firmly at IDS and Grayling and possibly Villiers although her gender may save her. Gove is too intelligent and his Leave statements have been fairly measured, Priti Patel is a future star plus and her decision won't hurt her, Whittingdale is fairly new in post and has a big job with the charter review that I don't think Cameron would risk upsetting. Anyway back to lurking.
    kle4 said:

Indigo said:

Boris' ambition for the top job and there need to Take on Cameron at some point was well known - I can it believe he did not think Cameron would fight back any other way, he's known to be good with cutting remarks.
    Because of another Cameron lie ;-) The one about him being respectful to all sides :p
    edited February 2016

kle4 said:

I think alistair underestimates how bitter and moaning the losers will be.
    Why? We haven't got any recent experience of 'bitter & moaning losers' have we?

Au contraire - I suspect after the disappointment - no doubt laid at the door of the Electoral Commission for picking the 'wrong' Lead Leave team - I suspect we have years, if not decades of 'I told you so's, 'You should have listened to me' 'I want a judge led enquiry' and 'Monica from Leeds has emailed me....'

That's why Cameron is demob happy - will he make this referendum the third in a row he's won?

Either way, he's off.....
    Although it might be quite a short lived legacy if either the ECJ or European Parliament shreds his deal.... or the Eurozone votes in some nasty rules that screw over the City and Nabavi QC turns out to have erred in his reading of the text. I read the debate from earlier, between a senior city lawyer with long EU and regulatory experience and a retired IT consultant, I was trying to decide who to believe :smiley:
    ToryJim said:

My strong suspicion is that the result will be around 60:40 to remain. I'd also be looking at which of the Leave cabinet ministers will be dispensed with in a post-referendum reshuffle and I'd be looking firmly at IDS and Grayling and possibly Villiers although her gender may save her. Gove is too intelligent and his Leave statements have been fairly measured, Priti Patel is a future star plus and her decision won't hurt her, Whittingdale is fairly new in post and has a big job with the charter review that I don't think Cameron would risk upsetting. Anyway back to lurking.

This will come down to the usual calculation of who you don't want outside the tent pissing in. Gove would be lethal on the wrong side of the tent flaps, he is one of the inner circle, he knows where the bodies are buried.
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,149
    Indigo said:

ToryJim said:

This will come down to the usual calculation of who you don't want outside the tent pissing in. Gove would be lethal on the wrong side of the tent flaps, he is one of the inner circle, he knows where the bodies are buried.
    I think it also boils down to the fact that Gove winds the left up and yet is always unfailingly polite about it. He also has a first class brain that you'd want to tap in the service of doing something good. IDS is pretty much done and I can't see what the value of keeping him much longer is and the referendum is as good an excuse as any. Grayling well he's always struck me as a bit dim so I've rarely seen the value of him.
    edited February 2016
    Gove is intelligent and combatative. He also is quite a loyalist, agreeing to move when he was becoming an issue at Education for example. His move to Whip also will have kept him in contact with the MPs. The question remains as to whether he actually wants the job. I am not convinced.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,138
    Indigo said:

kle4 said:

Indigo said:

Because of another Cameron lie ;-) The one about him being respectful to all sides :p
    Err - what kind of respect does a text message 'bugger off i wanna be leader' merit?
  • This is very good, Alastair. I agree.

I still maintain that, in my view, Cameron may be in serious trouble. Quite possibly, this year.

He's got has nothing to lose as he's not standing for re-election, and he feels he simply has to win this. He may do a lot of damage in the process - I was shocked at how vehemently and directly he attacked Boris yesterday - a lot of Tory MPs really won't have liked this.

By the same token, Cameron's lost the weapon of loyalty, because everyone know he is standing down, and the party also knows the election of Jeremy Corbyn means Labour are no serious electoral threat for now. Almost anyone will beat him, so the message of discipline against its convictions isn't there.

Not what Osborne had planned at all - he thought he could pawn the party by making it his vassal, or by threatening miscreants - and moving it to the Left. And I think he'll be much weaker now.

I have already backed Gove, and am pleased with my position.
    felix said:

Indigo said:

kle4 said:

Indigo said:

Err - what kind of respect does a text message 'bugger off i wanna be leader' merit?
    None.

Now lets try this again slowly for the hard of reading. Cameron said he would be respectful to all sides. Boris didn't. Who is the liar?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,130

Gove is intelligent and combatative. He also is quite a loyalist, agreeing to move when he was becoming an issue at Education for example. His move to Whip also will have kept him in contact with the MPs. The question remains as to whether he actually wants the job. I am not convinced.

Good comment. Gove is on record a few years back (2011 maybe) as saying he doesn't want the top job. It would be interesting to see if his experience since then - including a bruising stint at Education - has convinced him to change his earlier opinion.

If Leave wins his price will certainly come in though, so he is value above about 8/1.
  • On a tangential point, in the forthcoming Sheffield by-election, both parties will want candidates who agree with their party leader on Europe, especially since the by-election will probably be not long before the referendum. Quotes from a candidate criticising their leader on Europe would be embarrassing, even more so from a new MP.

However, the constituency parties may have their own ideas. How much risk is there of Labour or the Conservatives ending up with a candidate critical of their party leader on Europe?

None of this will affect the result of the by election, of course, but it might make it a little more interesting.
    ToryJim said:

Indigo said:

ToryJim said:

I think it also boils down to the fact that Gove winds the left up and yet is always unfailingly polite about it. He also has a first class brain that you'd want to tap in the service of doing something good. IDS is pretty much done and I can't see what the value of keeping him much longer is and the referendum is as good an excuse as any. Grayling well he's always struck me as a bit dim so I've rarely seen the value of him.
    I was thinking much the same about Gove, that if Remain wins he could happily do an IDS, locking himself away for a few years working through some really difficult policy area - social care maybe?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,575
    I suspect that the Referendum margin will be in single figures, whichever side wins. Cameron has to continue with the bluff and bluster that he got a good deal throughout the campaign. There are plenty, even within the Remain camp, who will concede that jars with the reality. And it will be terminal to his credibility. So a new PM sooner rather than later is my assessment.

Therefore the Referendum campaign becomes an extended job interview.

Osborne does look to be badly damaged, from the outside. He was happy to be associated with the renegotiation - until the reaction to it turned very sour. Since then he has hidden away in Budget purdah. Handy, but not if he wants to be seen to still be a serious contender with his MPs. I still don't buy that the arse has fallen out of his chances. He still has a Budget to come. He must now be thinking "how can I win friends?" - so hopefully the red pencil has gone through his proposed pension changes. And much as we think he is disliked out there -and make no mistake, he is a bloody hard sell on the doorstep - his National Living Wage could prove very popular when the new pay packets arrive with a few million voters who maybe weren't a natural pool of support before.

So Osborne is still in play. But is it my assessment that he will be Prime Minister? No - but then, it never was. He may yet surprise - read the runes, then say that he has no intention of throwing his hat in the ring. State his preferred route would be to stay Chancellor and see the job through with the new Prime Minister. Still a power behind the throne, an eminence gris for continuity Cameron - and still preserving his patronage. Advising his network in the Parliamentary party who to vote for. Not someone to piss off....
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,525
    Boris' best revenge is winning the EUref. Let's hope he sets to and gives us a real contest, regardless of his personal feelings on the matter.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,249
    I think it is too early to say but one thing that strikes me as quite inevitable is that the Party will be offered team leadership next time around. So if Osborne was still running he would want Gove to organise his campaign for him and be Chancellor in waiting. If Boris is running he will want to be supported by an Inner presently in the cabinet. There will be a strong desire to put this behind them and get on with running the country again.

This is particularly the case if Remain wins either big or small. If Leave wins we are in new territory altogether and I would agree that Osborne is shot in that scenario along with the rest of the Remain members of the cabinet.

I think it is too early to say because much will depend on how things develop in the campaign. The Tory party really likes winners. If Boris shakes off his ambivalence and campaigns effectively but politely for Out he has a chance to re-establish himself as a national figure who can be serious when the occasion demands. If he continues to hum and haw he will fade. Similarly Osborne should not be underestimated. If he makes a strong and persuasive case for In and wins he will still look heir apparent.

I am a great fan of Michael Gove. I think his clarity of thought and expression is admirable but the lack of grey in his thinking is frequently not an advantage in modern politics. He seems to find compromise once he has reached a position difficult and irrational. Compare and contrast that with Cameron. He gets a lot of stick for his flexibility on this site but I think it is an essential tool for someone trying to run a fractious organisation as the Tory party and hold the various threads together. His laid back attitude letting his Ministers get on with it also helps. What's more, as he demonstrated yesterday, he can be seriously effective when the chips are down. I still really struggle to see Gove as leader. Chancellor on the other hand...
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @holland_tom: "A better Prime Minister than Conservative leader" - a simple summation by @RSylvesterTimes that explains so much about Cameron's career.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,997
    If Gove does become leader every teacher will vote for another party. (Although I expectb a lot of them do anyway!)
  • I backed Gove on Saturday.

Ironically his biggest opponents to his leadership now are the likes of Phillip Davies, who detest the policies of Gove on prisons and rehabilitation.

Laying Boris is the way to go.

Off topic. This might be favourite ever New Statesman article ever, even better than the Sion Simon piece.

What would the political map of Britain look like if it took place under Eurovision rules?
    The biggest winners, ironically, would be Ukip.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/02/what-would-political-map-britain-look-if-it-took-place-under-eurovision
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,729
    edited February 2016

Gove is intelligent and combatative. He also is quite a loyalist, agreeing to move when he was becoming an issue at Education for example. His move to Leader of the House also will have kept him in contact with the MPs. The question remains as to whether he actually wants the job. I am not convinced.

Perhaps you're being charitable. Revenge is a dish best seved cold and though Gove appeared to take his sacking with good grace I've always thought it unlikely.

Remember he was being asked to lay down his career for no other reason than Cameron's focus groups found him unattractive. Who wouldn't be offended?

And there's his wife Daily Mail columist Sarah Vine. A person of such venality that even Michael Portillo was shocked at her personal attack on Ed Milliband's wife. Is it really credible that this Lady Macbeth would have allowed the career they had built up together to wither without a whimper?
    edited February 2016
    The scary thing is that the Saudis have enough cash in the bank to keep this up for 3 or 4 years. Russia and other oil producers will be bankrupt before then!

There was an interview with the CFO of Emirates the other day, he said that his sweet spot is about $60-80 a barrel. Cheaper fuel is always good for an airline, but when the oil price is where it is now there's less demand, especially in the seats on the top deck of his 72 (and another 70 orders!) A380s.
    Roger said:

Gove is intelligent and combatative. He also is quite a loyalist, agreeing to move when he was becoming an issue at Education for example. His move to Leader of the House also will have kept him in contact with the MPs. The question remains as to whether he actually wants the job. I am not convinced.

Perhaps you're being charitable. Revenge is a dish best seved cold and though Gove appeared to take his sacking with good grace I've always thought it unlikely.

Remember he was being asked to slay down his career for no other reason than focus groups found him unattractive and Cameron thought his chances would be better without him. Who wouldn't be offended?

And there's his wife Daily Mail columist Sarah Vine. A person of such venality that even Michael Portillo was shocked at her personal attack on Ed Milliband's wife. Is it really credible that this Lady Macbeth would have allowed the career they had built up together to wither without a whimper?
    Roger

why don't you just sod off and join the Tories

you're already backing their cabinet :-)
    edited February 2016
    Roger said:

Remember he was being asked to lay down his career for no other reason than Cameron's focus groups found him unattractive. Who wouldn't be offended?

The focus groups were right. And the Conservatives won a small majority after he was moved. He may just accept there was some linkage - and that it was the right time for a move...?

Ironically his biggest opponents to his leadership now are the likes of Phillip Davies, who detest the policies of Gove on prisons and rehabilitation.

Off topic. This might be favourite ever New Statesman article ever, even better than the Sion Simon piece.

What would the political map of Britain look like if it took place under Eurovision rules?

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/02/what-would-political-map-britain-look-if-it-took-place-under-eurovision

Gove is absolutely right on prisons and rehabilitation.
    Sandpit said:

The scary thing is that the Saudis have enough cash in the bank to keep this up for 3 or 4 years. Russia and other oil producers will be bankrupt before then!
    I thought the Saudis had only about 18 months "play money" ? Massive fixed costs dependent on a high oil price and a government afraid of reform as it's sat on a social powder keg.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    Some of the bookies seem genuinely unaware that there is going to be a Tory leadership contest in this parliament whatever happens.
  • On Boris, given that Cameron declared all-out war on him yesterday, Boris really now has to do the same and take his gloves off if he ever wants to be leader.

I find it sad whenever politics divides a friendship (and this will be forever, for good) but that is tragically the nature of the game sometimes.

Boris must move in for the kill.
  • Pulpstar said:

Some of the bookies seem genuinely unaware that there is going to be a Tory leadership contest in this parliament whatever happens.

Five frogs sitting on a log, one decides to jump off. How many frogs remain sitting on a log?
  • If Gove does become leader every teacher will vote for another party. (Although I expectb a lot of them do anyway!)

In 2010 more teachers voted Conservative than Labour, so it is quite an achievement for Gove to have alienated the profession so quickly.
  • On Boris, given that Cameron declared all-out war on him yesterday, Boris really now has to do the same and take his gloves off if he ever wants to be leader.

I find it sad whenever politics divides a friendship (and this will be forever, for good) but that is tragically the nature of the game sometimes.

Boris Johnson has no cause for complaint. The Conservative party, however, might have.
    I have been going on about this for a while. The scale of reduction in the north sea is such that it will drive down national investment and industrial production figures this year and next. The SNP are going on about reducing the tax yield yet further but the sad truth is that the swing in oil prices swamps anything that a UK government can do for a high cost production area like the north sea.

As I said the other day the priority is to maintain key infrastructure in each basin which will allow new small fields to be activated when the price makes that possible.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,459
    Someone shouted "tuck your shirt in" to Boris as he stood up yesterday. He then clasped his arms around the front of his body as if to hide his unruly shirt and looked sheepish.

And then, having been mauled by Dave, he asked an easy-peasy question, awkwardly, and Dave batted it away effortlessly.

Boris is learning that to stand up in the Commons, and be taken seriously, and to be respected and have gravitas and look PM-ish, is not just a case of employing your raffish charm. Because if you do you will look like an idiot and "lose".

Dave is a master, as are plenty of others (EdM, AngusR, not Jezza). Boris got a very effective lesson in this and will need to learn quickly.

However, as an utter clown who has made his name as a clown, this will be impossible.

I know but it only takes one prisoner who was given a non custodial sentence instead of a prison sentence to commit a heinous crime for Gove to come under pressure.
  • Pulpstar said:

Yes, the disparity of odds between next leader and next PM markets is remarkable but check the small print as some will be for PM after the next election.
    edited February 2016

Roger said:

The focus groups were right. And the Conservatives won a small majority after he was moved. He may just accept there was some linkage - and that it was the right time for a move...?
    I'm not sure human nature works like that! I doubt Vine-Goves looking into the mirror would agree with the public's assessment
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    Betway has:

Next Prime Minister
    2020-03-17 - 07:30
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,726

On Boris, given that Cameron declared all-out war on him yesterday, Boris really now has to do the same and take his gloves off if he ever wants to be leader.

In my experience, and it's at a much lower level, there are very few true friendships in politics.
  • Roger said:

Not everyone who doesn't share your politics is as nasty or spiteful as you make them out to be.
    Roger said:

Gove was loyal enough to move without too much protest when he realised that his prominence was damaging the party. The policy carries on under Morgan after all, indeed the allegations were that Gove continued to be pulling the strings. Gove may be that rarity, a politician that cares more for the implementation of policy than for personal advancement.

I cannot see myself voting for any of the proposed contenders. They differ only in their repulsiveness.

This summer Corbyn needs to go and be replaced by someone who can exploit the Tory splits. If the Cameroons get defeated by the swivel eyed loons then suddenly the election is there for the taking.

• CD13CD13 Posts: 6,364
    Mr Meeks,

An erudite but possibly irrelevant piece.

Already, this EU discussion has the feel of 1975. The Establishment has decided and it will have its way. But that is dull compared to what will happen to British politics as a result. Cameron will put EU membership above the Conservative Party, and he will have his way, so I can see its demise in its present form.

You can say it's none of my business - I'm Jezza's age and I've never voted Conservative - but I may never have the chance to do soon. What is fascinating is what will be left on the political scene.

Ukip are a one-issue party, and the LDs will be seen as Tory lapdogs. They are on Europe, so that will be reinforced in the coming months. This should be the breakthrough for Labour.

Yet, they've somehow managed to shoot themselves in the head as well as in the foot. Jezza will never attract the old gits - they remember his ilk from the late sixties. At seventeen, his mix of Marxism, anti-Semitism and anti-Britishness was an exciting alternative .At sixty seven, it's almost embarrassing. No, I'm wrong there ... it is embarrassing. And those splinter groups always eat themselves.

Either Cameron soft-pedals (he won't), Jezza resigns (he won't), or the LDs reinvent themselves (unlikely), or the Tories and Ukip combine to become another splinter group.

Interesting times.

Sandpit said:

I thought the Saudis had only about 18 months "play money" ? Massive fixed costs dependent on a high oil price and a government afraid of reform as it's sat on a social powder keg.
    The Saudis are drastically curtailing public spending, but as you say there's a fine line to be drawn to make sure their youngsters don't end up in ISIS. After the uprisings in Egypt and Bahrain a few years ago other Arab govts were very generous to their native peoples to head off similar situations elsewhere, some of this is what is now being undone, although this time the focus is on the higher paid public sector workers. Reducing a middle manager salary in a public company from $30k a MONTH to $25k or even $20k is unlikely to cause a revolution. He can still afford a new Ferrari every year.
    DavidL said:

I have been going on about this for a while. The scale of reduction in the north sea is such that it will drive down national investment and industrial production figures this year and next. The SNP are going on about reducing the tax yield yet further but the sad truth is that the swing in oil prices swamps anything that a UK government can do for a high cost production area like the north sea.

As I said the other day the priority is to maintain key infrastructure in each basin which will allow new small fields to be activated when the price makes that possible.
    Yes it's bad news all round and as you say limited opportunities in what can be done to ease the problem.
    Sean_F said:

On Boris, given that Cameron declared all-out war on him yesterday, Boris really now has to do the same and take his gloves off if he ever wants to be leader.

In my experience, and it's at a much lower level, there are very few true friendships in politics.
    One obvious example is Cameron and Osborne. If Cameron can leave matters so that Osborne is the inevitable choice and if Osborne wants that he will. Given Cameron's tendency to win this is not a factor to be underestimated.
  • "the party faithful in particular aren’t feeling particularly obliged to consider the views of the general public."

Interesting speculation, but is there any evidence for it?

Sometimes pb is a resource as well as a forum.
  • TOPPING said:

Someone shouted "tuck your shirt in" to Boris as he stood up yesterday. He then clasped his arms around the front of his body as if to hide his unruly shirt and looked sheepish.

And then, having been mauled by Dave, he asked an easy-peasy question, awkwardly, and Dave batted it away effortlessly.

Boris is learning that to stand up in the Commons, and be taken seriously, and to be respected and have gravitas and look PM-ish, is not just a case of employing your raffish charm. Because if you do you will look like an idiot and "lose".

Dave is a master, as are plenty of others (EdM, AngusR, not Jezza). Boris got a very effective lesson in this and will need to learn quickly.

However, as an utter clown who has made his name as a clown, this will be impossible.

I suspect he will learn quickly, if he wants to.

He only has 2 1/2 months left as Mayor. I expect a few less diary appointments in city hall and a few more with political and presentational advisors.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    It's always a shame when old pals fall out...

@politicshome: Donald Trump would be the "most dreadful" president in the history of the United States, says Alex Salmond #GMB

I backed Gove on Saturday.

I know but it only takes one prisoner who was given a non custodial sentence instead of a prison sentence to commit a heinous crime for Gove to come under pressure.
    My understanding of Gove's prison reforms were that he was looking at things like training and upskilling in prisons to reduce reoffending rates, rather than being soft on sentencing in the first place, no?
  • Pulpstar said:

Betway has:

Next Prime Minister

7/1 on Dave quitting this year as Tory leader with Hills is an excellent bet.
  • Sandpit said:

My understanding of Gove's prison reforms were that he was looking at things like training and upskilling in prisons to reduce reoffending rates, rather than being soft on sentencing in the first place, no?
    He's also looking at not sending first time offenders to prison for short sentences.
    Indigo said:

felix said:

Indigo said:

kle4 said:

Indigo said:

None.

Now lets try this again slowly for the hard of reading. Cameron said he would be respectful to all sides. Boris didn't. Who is the liar?
    Oh dear - get over yourself - don't you understand politics?
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

One obvious example is Cameron and Osborne. If Cameron can leave matters so that Osborne is the inevitable choice and if Osborne wants that he will. Given Cameron's tendency to win this is not a factor to be underestimated.
    I'm sorry David, but in your own words Osborne is a Mandelson figure - devious, dabbling and distrusted. He's the back of house guy who will never make it on the big stage.
    TOPPING said:

I think there are many of us in the centre rather jealous that the Tories have Cameron. Whatever happens to him at the hands of the Tory rabble I suspect he's going to end up as one of the most popular politicians we've had and one of the very few able to cross party lines.

Roger said:

TOPPING said:

I think there are many of us in the centre rather jealous that the Tories have Cameron. Whatever happens to him at the hands of the Tory rabble I suspect he's going to end up as one of the most popular politicians we've had and one of the very few able to cross party lines.

Like Tony the Tory ?
  • TOPPING said:

Indeed, as much as I like the fellow, and thank him for joining Leave, he just isn't leadership or PM material.

Gove isn't either. IDS... nope. So from the leading Leavers that leaves Grayling or Patel.

I suspect that the party will go for a unifying candidate, one from either side of this European split - look out for a Cabinet member who clearly is only softly supporting Leave or Remain.
    Sean_F said:

I'm sure that is right.
    felix said:

Indigo said:

felix said:

Indigo said:

kle4 said:

Indigo said:

None.

You clearly don't value integrity, mind you looking at your post I can see why.

I suspect that the Referendum margin will be in single figures, whichever side wins. Cameron has to continue with the bluff and bluster that he got a good deal throughout the campaign. There are plenty, even within the Remain camp, who will concede that jars with the reality. And it will be terminal to his credibility. So a new PM sooner rather than later is my assessment.

Osborne does look to be badly damaged, from the outside. He was happy to be associated with the renegotiation - until the reaction to it turned very sour. Since then he has hidden away in Budget purdah. Handy, but not if he wants to be seen to still be a serious contender with his MPs. I still don't buy that the arse has fallen out of his chances. He still has a Budget to come. He must now be thinking "how can I win friends?" - so hopefully the red pencil has gone through his proposed pension changes. And much as we think he is disliked out there -and make no mistake, he is a bloody hard sell on the doorstep - his National Living Wage could prove very popular when the new pay packets arrive with a few million voters who maybe weren't a natural pool of support before.

So Osborne is still in play. But is it my assessment that he will be Prime Minister? No - but then, it never was. He may yet surprise - read the runes, then say that he has no intention of throwing his hat in the ring. State his preferred route would be to stay Chancellor and see the job through with the new Prime Minister. Still a power behind the throne, an eminence gris for continuity Cameron - and still preserving his patronage. Advising his network in the Parliamentary party who to vote for. Not someone to piss off....

OTOH, Osborne might take the view that as he's already disliked, he might as well put the boot into private pensions.
    Roger said:

TOPPING said:

I don't think that Cameron will ever be popular. He remains an enigma that is hard to warm to. Hard for anyone to hate either. The Cameron = Chamberlain meme is as foolish as it is offensive.
    CD13 said:

Mr Meeks,

An erudite but possibly irrelevant piece.

Already, this EU discussion has the feel of 1975. The Establishment has decided and it will have its way. But that is dull compared to what will happen to British politics as a result. Cameron will put EU membership above the Conservative Party, and he will have his way, so I can see its demise in its present form.

You can say it's none of my business - I'm Jezza's age and I've never voted Conservative - but I may never have the chance to do soon. What is fascinating is what will be left on the political scene.

Ukip are a one-issue party, and the LDs will be seen as Tory lapdogs. They are on Europe, so that will be reinforced in the coming months. This should be the breakthrough for Labour.

Yet, they've somehow managed to shoot themselves in the head as well as in the foot. Jezza will never attract the old gits - they remember his ilk from the late sixties. At seventeen, his mix of Marxism, anti-Semitism and anti-Britishness was an exciting alternative .At sixty seven, it's almost embarrassing. No, I'm wrong there ... it is embarrassing. And those splinter groups always eat themselves.

Either Cameron soft-pedals (he won't), Jezza resigns (he won't), or the LDs reinvent themselves (unlikely), or the Tories and Ukip combine to become another splinter group.

Interesting times.

Something that has been discussed before on here that might now have changed - given the referendum in June, is there now much more limited scope for Labour to change leader in the aftermath of poor May elections?

It's clear that Conference in October will debate a load of policy and procedure changes designed to entrench the hard Left of the party in power, at the expense of the moderate PLP - so has the referendum being called closed the already narrow window of opportunity to push JC out before those changes go through?
    Indigo said:

felix said:

Indigo said:

felix said:

Indigo said:

kle4 said:

Indigo said:

None.

You clearly don't value integrity, mind you looking at your post I can see why.
    Lol - and Boris has so much integrity it's stopping him tucking his shirt in - methinks you're a bit rattled over a bit of H/C nonsense. Pomposity rules.
  • Sandpit said:

He's also looking at not sending first time offenders to prison for short sentences.
    Quite right. We must have common sense and not retribution for the sake of it.
  • Sandpit said:

That was my understanding.
  • OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Scott_P said:

It's always a shame when old pals fall out...

@politicshome: Donald Trump would be the "most dreadful" president in the history of the United States, says Alex Salmond #GMB

Takes one to know one!

Pulpstar said:

Betway has:

Next Prime Minister

7/1 on Dave quitting this year as Tory leader with Hills is an excellent bet.
    That's a fantastic bet. Given how he's associated himself with the deal and Remain campaign, if Leave wins it's difficult to not see him saying sod this, go and see the Queen and sail off into the sunset with the wife and kids.
  • Gove being PM when Scotland votes for independence would be kind of fun.
  • Roger said:

Gove was loyal enough to move without too much protest when he realised that his prominence was damaging the party. The policy carries on under Morgan after all, indeed the allegations were that Gove continued to be pulling the strings. Gove may be that rarity, a politician that cares more for the implementation of policy than for personal advancement.

I cannot see myself voting for any of the proposed contenders. They differ only in their repulsiveness.

This summer Corbyn needs to go and be replaced by someone who can exploit the Tory splits. If the Cameroons get defeated by the swivel eyed loons then suddenly the election is there for the taking.

Charming. Somehow I doubt you'll plump for Corbyn.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,140
    @Southam

I'm hearing we will get a PSOE + C coalition announced in Spain this week, and perhaps as early as tomorrow.
    Sean_F said:

OTOH, Osborne might take the view that as he's already disliked, he might as well put the boot into private pensions.
    He needs to do it to meet longer-term aims. No point if he isn't there for the long term. And pissing off the membership won't help him be there long term. So it kinda points to them at least slipping until after the next leader is appointed....?

Sandpit said:

Okay, interesting, you know way more about this than I do. My understanding was that it was already bloody difficult to end up in prison anyway for a first offence.

I'm actually in favour of of ideas like weekend prisons that would allow nonviolent convicts to keep their jobs while still being punished.

Roger said:

Remember he was being asked to slay down his career for no other reason than focus groups found him unattractive and Cameron thought his chances would be better without him. Who wouldn't be offended?

Roger

I'm beginning to worry they're too left wing for me

Roger said:

Charming. Somehow I doubt you'll plump for Corbyn.
    I am in a safe seat so it matters little. I would consider voting Labour though if there was a good local candidate from the right of the party.
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Roger

I'm beginning to worry they're too left wing for me
    LOL
  • DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

I'm sorry David, but in your own words Osborne is a Mandelson figure - devious, dabbling and distrusted. He's the back of house guy who will never make it on the big stage.

It's very hard to see how Osborne gets to the leadership from here. As Alastair says, his only chance is a big Remain win and that looks very improbable. The Tories are also going to see (or not, to be more precise) the real Boris over the coming months - the one that does not do detail, scrutiny or debate. He is not ministerial, let alone prime ministerial material.

We have long been told on here that there is no depth or inspiration on the Labour benches. That may well be true. But it's a struggle to see where it is on the Tory benches either.

Roger said:

TOPPING said:

The Cameron = Chamberlain meme is as foolish as it is offensive.
    To whom?

Sean_F said:

I wonder how much the referendum is now on the mind of Osborne as he prepares the Budget? Another Omnishambles could help a kick-the-government Leave campaign.

Maybe he standardises pension income tax relief relief at 25%, therefore being a net gain to 85% of the population - even though most of the media are all in the 15% that would be negatively affected!
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,459

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

It's very hard to see how Osborne gets to the leadership from here. As Alastair says, his only chance is a big Remain win and that looks very improbable. The Tories are also going to see (or not, to be more precise) the real Boris over the coming months - the one that does not do detail, scrutiny or debate. He is not ministerial, let alone prime ministerial material.

We have long been told on here that there is no depth or inspiration on the Labour benches. That may well be true. But it's a struggle to see where it is on the Tory benches either.

It's baffling. Will be a known unknown though scrutinising the lists down to the 50-1 shots my eyes only alighted on Nick Boles or Nick Herbert.

I don't think she's special but Justine Greening might be a non-threatening unity candidate.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Roger said:

Is that really true about Morgan though? I've read on here that she's a socialist.
This discussion has been closed.