Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Who is the greatest leader of the 21st century so far? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 53,275
    A weird thing: No one can find the shooter's social media accounts. WTF. Is he the only 20 year old in the world to have literally zero internet activity?

What are the chances of that?
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,621
    New Zealand TV. Before the shooting but all the same

Presenters firing a pellet gun at a trump doll.

https://x.com/artemisfornow/status/1812434734917501320?s=61
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,599
    Leon said:

A weird thing: No one can find the shooter's social media accounts. WTF. Is he the only 20 year old in the world to have literally zero internet activity?

And yet the FBI released his name in a trice. Were they all ready to run with a 'man who never was' invented identity?
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

It possible that he posts via an alias. I believe it not unknown!
    But there seems to be nothing under his own name. Do you honestly know any 20 year olds of whom that is true?

It is remarkable

He does appear in an ad for his school tho!

And there's more mystery, see here:

"How does a 20-year-old who had won the "star award" (and $500) at his high school and no criminal record go on to attempt to assassinate a presidential candidate with an AR-15? and how could he crawl on the nearest roof without the secret service noticing it? This will be a question that many will want answered in the days to come, along with how this was able to happen with the secret service in attendance."

https://x.com/iamBrianBJ/status/1812419970497675544
    edited July 14
    Foxy said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Um David Lammy to be first out of cabinet......

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy
    4 US Presidents have been assassinated snowflake.

You will have to link to that, for us to believe it is true

EDIT: I've just checked his TwiX-feed, and he said no such thing, unless he']s deleted it. He's not a stupid man, I am highly skeptical he would say such an incredibly daft thing
    It's from 2019. I should if checked the date. Sorry
    lol. Fair enough. We all make mistakes

Talking of mistakes, there are some informed people on TwiX now claiming that the supposed shooter Thomas Crooks might NOT be the man who tried to kill Trump. What a mess

An interesting thread here, which mentions this

https://x.com/DefensePolitics/status/1812302428211134538
    I think we should all just wait for little while. The FBI etc will come out with the truth soon.
    For Leon, the truth will only be what he believes it to be. He knows the truth already... ;)
    Though it will be a different truth tomorrow. The combination of gullibility, sensation seeking and the attention span of a toddler on E numbers is a powerful one.
    What you think is a "short attention span" is me working things out much much faster than you, then moving on, because I am very much smarter. That's all it is. That's why you're the provincial quack in Leicester and I'm working 2 hours a day in Oppede le Vieux, in the sun, when I'm not being paid to travel the world
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

EDIT: I've just checked his TwiX-feed, and he said no such thing, unless he']s deleted it. He's not a stupid man, I am highly skeptical he would say such an incredibly daft thing

Talking of mistakes, there are some informed people on TwiX now claiming that the supposed shooter Thomas Crooks might NOT be the man who tried to kill Trump. What a mess

I think we should all just wait for little while. The FBI etc will come out with the truth soon.
    Perhaps an (Elizabeth) Warren commission could be set up to allay public concerns as with JFK.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    Leon said:

He probably only posts under pseudonyms and has zero friends
  • TresTres Posts: 2,651
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

For Leon, the truth will only be what he believes it to be. He knows the truth already... ;)
    Though it will be a different truth tomorrow. The combination of gullibility, sensation seeking and the attention span of a toddler on E numbers is a powerful one.
    What you think is a "short attention span" is me working things out much much faster than you, then moving on, because I am very much smarter. That's all it is. That's why you're the provincial quack in Leicester and I'm working 2 hours a day in Oppede le Vieux, in the sun, when I'm not being paid to travel the world
    Need some attention? Attention, attention, attention.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,458
    edited July 14

Around 1 in 4 people of working age in the UK have a criminal record

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/disclosing-your-criminal-record-guidance-for-those-with-offences/disclosing-your-criminal-record

This seems an incredibly statistic. Given women commit far less crime, it must be nearer 1 in 3 adult men?

That sounds very high, even including cautions for minor offences like possession for personal use and sitting near Boris on his birthday.
    Nobody likes Rishi so hardly anyone has sympathy for him, but him getting that penalty notice was a grotesque miscarriage of justice.
    Up there with Dreyfus and Evans and the Birmingham six. Sure.
    "dear, this steak isnt very nice, maybe we should send it back"
    "what about the starving millions in Africa, typical selfish white man"
    That was the standard response when faced with a revolting school dinner in the 70s
    I once was married to a lady from much further away parts, in her family it was "What about the starving children in China?" for not finishing their food.
    My wife's South African and when she was growing up there it was "starving children in India".
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    😂

See new posts
    Conversation
    KATY PERRY
    @katyperry
    FOOTBALL IS COMING HOME 🇬🇧
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,095

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/disclosing-your-criminal-record-guidance-for-those-with-offences/disclosing-your-criminal-record

This seems an incredibly statistic. Given women commit far less crime, it must be nearer 1 in 3 adult men?

That sounds very high, even including cautions for minor offences like possession for personal use and sitting near Boris on his birthday.
    Nobody likes Rishi so hardly anyone has sympathy for him, but him getting that penalty notice was a grotesque miscarriage of justice.
    That was the standard response when faced with a revolting school dinner in the 70s
    I once was married to a lady from much further away parts, in her family it was "What about the starving children in China?" for not finishing their food.
    My wife's South African and when she was growing up there it was "starving children in India".
    Mum says "Africa".
  • Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

With their truth
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,214
    Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

True, but what about the shooter?
    Alcaraz gets the first set against Djokovic, 6-2.
    Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

It's a brilliant rabbit hole. Once you start digging, the alleged killer gets weirder and weirder. No social media?? Really? There are thousands of people out there trying to dig up stuff and all they can find is one short ad for his school and a brief video of his graduation

Yet he looks and seems perfectly normal in those, but - alone in the universe- he decided to have no presence on the internet. He's 20 FFS. Everyone aged 20 is on social media of SOME kind

And then suddenly he becomes a trained shooter with an AR15 and he tries to kill Trump

I love a juicy mystery; this is a juicy mystery
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Have the mods really deleted all the "I wish Trump was dead" remarks? I can't be arsed to go through the thread

No Leon. They were a figment of your fevered imagination.

My post was not to be taken literally.
    No, they weren't inaginary:

Dura_Ace Posts: 13,401

11:53AM
    Leon said:
    » show previous quotes

"So Trump deserves to get shot?"

Dure_Ace:

"Obviously, yes. If he doesn't, who does?"

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4895758#Comment_4895758
    Dura_Ace. Quite. If that is your only evidence, then I think you've lost the argument.
    You claimed that I imagined remarks justifying the shooting. I have showed you that I did not imagine them

Technically, that is called "winning" the argument. Sorry
    You are still saying remarks, plural.

And yet you can only point to a single post from PB's resident eco-anarchist, with nothing from any regular left of centre posters.

Here is nico679 essentially saying the shooting is justified

"I won’t engage in crocodile tears for Trump . If Trump wasn’t a sociopath with a single redeeming feature I might care. I really don’t."

"If you forment hate and violence then you can't moan when it erupts. Trump is threatening a civil war if he doesn’t win . His comments are inciting violence"

"You reap what you sow . Trump has become a conduit for hate and violence."

YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW = Trump deserved this

No, he is saying that those who play with matches tend to get burnt.

That's not saying that it was the right thing for anyone to do or that he deserved it.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,227
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

In all your excited searching of twatter I don't think you've gifted us a picture of whatever bread roll you've had for breakfast yet.

I'd be interested if in your travels around France you could find a cricket ground, preferably surrounded by trees and wild flowers, which serves real ale and has some nice food options near by.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,702

Thank goodness this dimwit* isn't rivalling Farage as a go-to rightwinger for the media.

https://x.com/edwinhayward/status/1812418519104983408

*Person who disagrees with me.
    Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

It's a brilliant rabbit hole. Once you start digging, the alleged killer gets weirder and weirder. No social media?? Really? There are thousands of people out there trying to dig up stuff and all they can find is one short ad for his school and a brief video of his graduation

Yet he looks and seems perfectly normal in those, but - alone in the universe- he decided to have no presence on the internet. He's 20 FFS. Everyone aged 20 is on social media of SOME kind

And then suddenly he becomes a trained shooter with an AR15 and he tries to kill Trump

I'm sure his handlers would have been looking for a clean skin. If you are determined to go down this path.

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

Foxy does go home to his family every evening. That's a nice thing to do. It's worth a shedload of money and any number of nice drinks on the patios of posh hotels.

Well, you'll be pleased to hear that my older daughter is flying to Marseilles on Tuesday and we're going on a roadtrip

Not around dismal, rainy Leicester, tho
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    Perun:

Russian Equipment Losses & Reserves (2024) - The Changing Russian Force in Ukraine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF-S4ktINDU

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

True, but what about the shooter?
    Nick "Shooter" Curran.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,869
    Have we established the What3Words location of the shooter?
  • Around 1 in 4 people of working age in the UK have a criminal record

The kindly and beneficient South African Government (when it was proper South Africa) saw to it that no south africans went hungry. Oh yes.
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

Foxy does go home to his family every evening. That's a nice thing to do. It's worth a shedload of money and any number of nice drinks on the patios of posh hotels.

Well, you'll be pleased to hear that my older daughter is flying to Marseilles on Tuesday and we're going on a roadtrip

I am pleased for you. Being away from your family for extended periods of time is not nice.

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,426
    Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

There’s a whole thing of rejecting social media as toxic. Candybar phones and LPs, using film cameras etc.

The reason you don’t know about this….
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

THOUGH! It's spelt THOUGH!

Have we established the What3Words location of the shooter?

Clipped Trumps Ear

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

I'm sure his handlers would have been looking for a clean skin. If you are determined to go down this path.
    Come on, let's go down this path. Also, it very much is a path we need to go down

Someone tried to kill a president, and not just any president; it is probably the most consequential act of political violence in the USA since JFK got shot

How did a normal kid with an apparently happy family, age 18, end up age 20 a weirdo with no social media presence, and an AR15, shooting a president in a way that he would know is suicidal????

it is tremendoudly weird
  • Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

But there seems to be nothing under his own name. Do you honestly know any 20 year olds of whom that is true?

It is remarkable

"How does a 20-year-old who had won the "star award" (and $500) at his high school and no criminal record go on to attempt to assassinate a presidential candidate with an AR-15? and how could he crawl on the nearest roof without the secret service noticing it? This will be a question that many will want answered in the days to come, along with how this was able to happen with the secret service in attendance."

"Do you honestly know any 20 year olds of whom that is true?"

I know young adults who've had it drilled into them by their parents/teachers that the Internet never forgets and to either lock down your social media or post via an alias only.
    Do you mean invent someone calle Leo and not use your name Sea? If so he got it off to a T.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

THOUGH! It's spelt THOUGH!
    And no full stop. Tsk.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

In all your excited searching of twatter I don't think you've gifted us a picture of whatever bread roll you've had for breakfast yet.

I'd be interested if in your travels around France you could find a cricket ground, preferably surrounded by trees and wild flowers, which serves real ale and has some nice food options near by.
    Saumur has one, I went there in the 2000’s. Mick Jagger was a member, not sure if he still is as he had a pad nearby.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Come on, let's go down this path. Also, it very much is a path we need to go down

Someone tried to kill a president, and not just any president; it is probably the most consequential act of political violence in the USA since JFK got shot

How did a normal kid with an apparently happy family, age 18, end up age 20 a weirdo with no social media presence, and an AR15, shooting a president in a way that he would know is suicidal????

it is tremendoudly weird
    It's America.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

it is tremendoudly weird
    It's America.
    We probably have as many weirdos per 1,000 as the US, but our weirdos are less well armed.

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

There’s a whole thing of rejecting social media as toxic. Candybar phones and LPs, using film cameras etc.

But there are people claiming he had social media yesterday but now it has been scrubbed. I have NO idea if this is true

Also I have two daughters in their late teens. I do know this generation. I know their friends and networks and how they all hang out mainly on IG and the like

Not having ANY social media is profoundly odd, and nothing about this guy's background says "odd"
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,227
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

it is tremendoudly weird
    No it isn't.

Given the number of guns and ease of access to them plus how many millions of Americans are mad, bad or just want to be famous I'm surprised it doesn't happen much more often.

Certainly they seem to kill each other over the most trivial of things.
  • Fargle is on a plane over there to comfort the Donald
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

Saumur has one, I went there in the 2000’s. Mick Jagger was a member, not sure if he still is as he had a pad nearby.
    Also a tank museum.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

it is tremendoudly weird
    It's America.
    We probably have as many weirdos per 1,000 as the US, but our weirdos are less well armed.
    I'm just a simple trainspotter trying to make my way in the Universe.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611
    The number of people with prestigious academic positions who are making fools of themselves by inventing or believing conspiracy theories is quite astonishing. It's as if they are incapable of processing information.
  • FossFoss Posts: 899
    edited July 14

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

it is tremendoudly weird
    It's America.
    'America' explains the gun but not the lack of social media. I wonder who his 'Jodie Foster' is?
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,910
    edited July 14
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

But there are people claiming he had social media yesterday but now it has been scrubbed. I have NO idea if this is true

Also I have two daughters in their late teens. I do know this generation. I know their friends and networks and how they all hang out mainly on IG and the like

Not having ANY social media is profoundly odd, and nothing about this guy's background says "odd"
    Other than he shot Donald Trump. He'll be on Reddit or similar

It's ///suggested.process.halt btw
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    Carnyx said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

Also a tank museum.
    I seem to recall it’s the HQ of the French cavalry. Whenever we used to go there the bars would be filled with sensible young frenchies with buzz cuts nursing a small beer whilst us idiots would be drinking like it was the end of the world.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

The number of people with prestigious academic positions who are making fools of themselves by inventing or believing conspiracy theories is quite astonishing. It's as if they are incapable of processing information.

I wasn't aware you held a prestigious academic position. Congratulations!
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

It may have been hidden to protect his family?
    edited July 14

There's a load of Brits concocting a theory that this is all stage managed by Trump to ensure his re-election

90% of them have FBPE after their names. Because of course they do
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

it is tremendoudly weird
    Perhaps he did an internet presence but not to our internet. I'm thinking that the Deep State surreptitiously got him to inhabit their own pseudo-internet which they used to completely re-construct his reality. Who knows what they persuaded him to think he was doing. There's no other explanation.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    edited July 14
    boulay said:

Carnyx said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

Also a tank museum.
    I seem to recall it’s the HQ of the French cavalry. Whenever we used to go there the bars would be filled with sensible young frenchies with buzz cuts nursing a small beer whilst us idiots would be drinking like it was the end of the world.
    Certainly the training base of the bulk of the armoured forces today.

Edit: rough equivalent of Bovington and Warminster I expect. But I don't think that explains the cricket.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

That's not a bad theory! But I've never seen it done before?

OR maybe his own family took it all down in their horror and panic, and who could blame them
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

it is tremendoudly weird
    Perhaps he did an internet presence but not to our internet. I'm thinking that the Deep State surreptitiously got him to inhabit their own pseudo-internet which they used to completely re-construct his reality. Who knows what they persuaded him to think he was doing. There's no other explanation.
    A virtual Truman Show. I would pitch that to Hollywood if I were you

Fargle is on a plane over there to comfort the Donald

Another misstep by Farage. He was elected, and gets a considerable amount of taxpayers' money, to fix all the problems over here.
    Alcaraz wins the second set against Djokovic! 6-2, 6-2.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,621
    Leon said:

There's a load of Brits concocting a theory that this is all stage managed by Trump to ensure his re-election

This has surfaced on twitter. They may be right.

https://x.com/acatcalledkeith/status/1812435567717539997?s=61
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,506
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

OR maybe his own family took it all down in their horror and panic, and who could blame them
    Who gives access details of their social media accounts to their family?
    Though I can see it might be wise in some cases..
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,750

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Or maybe he wiped his accounts in anticipation.
    Leon said:

If he's clever enough to concoct a shooting where his ear is grazed, but he is unharmed, just give him the Presidency now.
    edited July 14

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

it is tremendoudly weird
    A virtual Truman Show. I would pitch that to Hollywood if I were you
    My sister - who is NOT insane - is coming to the conclusion that the world is now so weird we really are in a simulation

Also, there is this evidence of The Simulation. In 2023 Joe 'IT'S JUST MY BRAIN' Biden called Pete Buttigieg "Secretary Bootyjuice"

https://x.com/ChuckCallesto/status/1697417083091337232

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,506

Fargle is on a plane over there to comfort the Donald

Another misstep by Farage. He was elected, and gets a considerable amount of taxpayers' money, to fix all the problems over here.
    ‘I’m from the British parliament and I’m here to help.’
    Preceded by a massive waft of Silk Cut.

It's a good thing that the Republicans don't campaign about stopping Biden with prominent gun imagery.
    edited July 14
    @MattW , Transport Secretary tweeting about Laura Laker's book on the NCN: https://x.com/LouHaigh/status/1812482249771643367?t=HsgJQREHJcpik-GYIWyMKA&s=19
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Or maybe the FBI have insisted it be shut for now so they can plant the evidence?

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

This poor sad stupid killer would have known that shooting Trump was a certain death sentence. So it was an act of suicide as well as murder

As he knew he was going to his death, perhaps he gave all the deets to social media to a friend? To protect his family?
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

This poor sad stupid killer would have known that shooting Trump was a certain death sentence. So it was an act of suicide as well as murder

As he knew he was going to his death, perhaps he gave all the deets to social media to a friend? To protect his family?
    So why did he miss?
    Taz said:

Leon said:

This has surfaced on twitter. They may be right.

https://x.com/acatcalledkeith/status/1812435567717539997?s=61
    lol!
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,584
    edited July 14
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

If you’re so smart, how come the political conclusions you’ve arrived at are mostly the same as the uneducated from mostly C and D census classes? Are all these uneducated people the real geniuses, or are you an intellectual dud?

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

So why did he miss?
    A shooting expert on TwiX reckons that the adrenaline probably got to him, and when that happens you typically edge a shot slightly to the left or right. Also Trump tilts his head at precisely the moment the bullet whizzes by, clipping his ear

If Trump hadn't done that he might now be dead and America would be in flames

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

It is remarkable

"Do you honestly know any 20 year olds of whom that is true?"

I know young adults who've had it drilled into them by their parents/teachers that the Internet never forgets and to either lock down your social media or post via an alias only.
    Do you mean invent someone calle Leo and not use your name Sea? If so he got it off to a T.
    SeanT
    SeaT
    Seat Leon
    Leon
    edited July 14

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Or maybe the FBI have insisted it be shut for now so they can plant the evidence?
    Maybe he's just a loner who didn't use social media? That would be consistent with the whole presidential assassination schtick.

If that's the case, we should grateful that he (unsuccessfully) went for Trump rather than an elementary school.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,477
    RIP Shannen Doherty, dead of cancer aged 53.

I'll always remember her in Heathers, one of my favourite films. Not one I'll show my son until he's much older, though...
    edited July 14
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

If you’re so smart, how come the political conclusions you’ve arrived at are mostly the same as the uneducated from mostly C and D census classes? Are all these uneducated people the real geniuses, or are you an intellectual dud?
    Ugh. Yuck.

I'll always remember her in Heathers, one of my favourite films. Not one I'll show my son until he's much older, though...

That film has a strange history of tragedy behind it.

Oh no! RIP.
    Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Maybe he's just a loner who didn't use social media? That would be consistent with the whole presidential assassination schtick.

If that's the case, we should grateful that he (unsuccessfully) went for Trump rather than an elementary school.
    That's also quite plausible

My theory as of 16:39 on Bastille Day (it will probably change by aperitif time) is that he is a loner incel who was mainly on Reddit and 4Chan and got radicalised into hating Trump, coz hes Hitler innit
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,576

It's a good thing that the Republicans don't campaign about stopping Biden with prominent gun imagery.

Utter cringe.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

So why did he miss?
    A shooting expert on TwiX reckons that the adrenaline probably got to him, and when that happens you typically edge a shot slightly to the left or right. Also Trump tilts his head at precisely the moment the bullet whizzes by, clipping his ear

Yup. Lots of people are much better at targets than at deer because they get what they call stag fever and go all shaky. Esp their first stag. So your first president...

130 yards is a fair distance too
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,041

I suspect it is very very demographic specific. But we dont talk about that. On a tangent to that, and more relevant to the link DBS disclosures really are quite ruinous for those wanting to move on with their lives having paid their debt and served their sentence. DBS creep has really taken over whole areas of employment.
    Though once spent only enhanced DHS checks will show convictions and only a few jobs need those

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

So why did he miss?
    He only narrowly missed. A miscalculation of the breeze? Nerves? Noise? Inexperience? Thank God he did miss, but it was a bloody close thing.

(And I do mean thank God. I'm no fan of Trump, who is a danger to American democracy and way of life, but I fear the chaos if he'd died.)
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,869
    Eabhal said:

@MattW , Transport Secretary tweeting about Laura Laker's book on the NCN: https://x.com/LouHaigh/status/1812482249771643367?t=HsgJQREHJcpik-GYIWyMKA&s=19

Never mind that shite, what's she doing about getting the Mark 5a sets and Class 68s back into traffic?
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 14
    In other news. The Mail ran a hit piece on the late Wallis Simpson allegedly robbing £17 million of her own jewellry, with a big headline referring to her as the Duchess of Sussex.

(since corrected)
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

That's also quite plausible

My theory as of 16:39 on Bastille Day (it will probably change by aperitif time) is that he is a loner incel who was mainly on Reddit and 4Chan and got radicalised into hating Trump, coz hes Hitler innit
    Though he was also a registered Republican oddly, maybe just to vote against Trump in the GOP primaries.
    edited July 14
    Today’s Sunday Rawnsley, from a sunny island with cloudless sky over a deep blue sea:

Sir Keir wants to show us a government with its foot pressed to the accelerator. The Tory years may appear to be fast receding in the nation’s rear-view mirror. And yet that doesn’t suit Team Starmer. Not at all. While they are keen to convince the country that it has got a busy new government, they are equally determined that the long years of Conservative rule are firmly lodged in the public mind. Labour will be most pleased if voters are still recoiling with repulsion from the Tories for years to come.

You may ask: why bother? The public are highly aware that the Conservatives made a shocking mess. Disgust with their record is why the number of Tory MPs in parliament has been crushed to the lowest level in their party’s history. “We’ve got them out. Now we’ve got to lock them out,” explains a member of Team Starmer.

“It’s crucial to buy us time,” says one confidant of the prime minister. “If we don’t explain the scale of the problems, people will get frustrated with us.” New homes will not be built overnight. Infrastructure can’t be created with a wave of the hand. Reducing NHS waiting lists will be a slow grind rather than a quick fix. The more that can be done to dramatise the dreadful legacy of the Conservatives, so goes the thinking at Number 10, the more slack Labour may be granted by voters.

When the Starmer government has to make tough and unpopular decisions, the Osborne model demonstrates how to redirect the blame on to your predecessors. As much as Sir Keir and his team will talk up a brighter future with Labour, they also want the nation never to forget its dark past under the Tories.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

So why did he miss?

Yup. Lots of people are much better at targets than at deer because they get what they call stag fever and go all shaky. Esp their first stag. So your first president...

130 yards is a fair distance too
    Yes, quite. Also knowing that seconds after you shoot YOU are going to be brutally shot dead probably adds to the nerves. Just a tad

Oh? What's the story there?
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

It hit him in the ear. A rifle bullet.

World history by half an inch.

I was just trying to extrapolate what might be happening now if he HAD died

Would America be in civil war already?

We may still be headed for civil war if it turns out this was some conspiracy with political involvement from the left

Another bad consequence of this horror is that, lamentably, it means Biden is more likely to remain the Dem candidate. At this crucial point, all the focus is now OFF the POTUS and ON Trump. Biden can hide away again, and by the time everyone turns back to Biden it will be too late

What a disaster for America, in multiple ways
    It's hard to imagine an assassination attempt looking less like a left wing conspiracy...
    What, a week after President Biden said "it's time to forget the debate, and put a bullseye on Trump"?

Then a week later a shooter puts a literal bullseye on Trump, and comes half a centimetre from killing him?

Yeah, sure, clearly the Dems are entirely innocent
    But for an inch I think we’d have had armed insurrection on the streets of America today. It’s a pretty fair summation that the legal system has been used as a political weapon against trump, with jumped up book keeping charges aimed at keeping him off the ballot. And a big chunk of Americans will be looking at the extraordinary lapse in security yesterday and be wondering if it was more than incompetence.

If the hit had been successful, the emotion and anger would have caused a whirlwind that might not have been contained. Thousands of armed citizens seizing govt buildings all across the country.

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,346

Leon said:

If he's clever enough to concoct a shooting where his ear is grazed, but he is unharmed, just give him the Presidency now.
    The best sniper in the US Army wouldn’t sign up to take a shot that grazes someone’s ear from 400’ away.

As is almost always the case, it will likely turn out to be someone with a mental illness and access to a firearm.

FBI have now confirmed the name that the media published earlier, Thomas Crooks.
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

We may still be headed for civil war if it turns out this was some conspiracy with political involvement from the left

Another bad consequence of this horror is that, lamentably, it means Biden is more likely to remain the Dem candidate. At this crucial point, all the focus is now OFF the POTUS and ON Trump. Biden can hide away again, and by the time everyone turns back to Biden it will be too late

It's hard to imagine an assassination attempt looking less like a left wing conspiracy...
    What, a week after President Biden said "it's time to forget the debate, and put a bullseye on Trump"?

Then a week later a shooter puts a literal bullseye on Trump, and comes half a centimetre from killing him?

But for an inch I think we’d have had armed insurrection on the streets of America today. It’s a pretty fair summation that the legal system has been used as a political weapon against trump, with jumped up book keeping charges aimed at keeping him off the ballot. And a big chunk of Americans will be looking at the extraordinary lapse in security yesterday and be wondering if it was more than incompetence.

If the hit had been successful, the emotion and anger would have caused a whirlwind that might not have been contained. Thousands of armed citizens seizing govt buildings all across the country.

IF this was some kind of Trump-hating conspiracy (a big IF, but it's far from impossible) then that suggests there are enough people so alarmed or deranged by Trump they want him gone by any means. Which further suggests they will try again. They won't give up just because the first dude missed

I think that merits an Official Leondamus:

BRACE

nico679 said:

The US election is 4 months away . If you hated Trump yesterday you’re not suddenly going to like him today and vote for him.

Gerald Ford had two assassination attempts made on him and he still lost the election.
    Bobby Kennedy actually was assassinated but the Democrats still narrowly lost in 1968, LBJ was re elected after JFK's assassination (although of course some conspiracy theorists even think he was involved)

Oh? What's the story there?
    The first Heather died of a brain tumour. And the actor who played the annoying Peter committed suicide.
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

IF this was some kind of Trump-hating conspiracy (a big IF, but it's far from impossible) then that suggests there are enough people so alarmed or deranged by Trump they want him gone by any means. Which further suggests they will try again. They won't give up just because the first dude missed

BRACE
    I would like to have seen Montana...

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

BRACE
    I would like to have seen Montana...
    It’s on the railway. Just about.
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

That’s grade A moonshine, for sure.
    Pulpstar said:

Having looked at the pictures of the site, I can't quite believe how the secret service allowed anyone, let alone anyone with an AR15 to get up on that roof !
    It's the most obvious sniper assassination point since obvious assassination points were invented on obvious assassination point day.

Indeed, big mistakes by the Secret Service. If it was POTUS though it probably wouldn't have happened, the top Secret Service protect him and he has a bigger security entourage even than the presidential nominee of the opposing party and for POTUS all surrounding roofs and buildings would automatically be searched as of course and any rallies tend to be indoors only with strict searches of all entering
    Pulpstar said:

Having looked at the pictures of the site, I can't quite believe how the secret service allowed anyone, let alone anyone with an AR15 to get up on that roof !
    It's the most obvious sniper assassination point since obvious assassination points were invented on obvious assassination point day.

Yes. And he was so visible people were able to take photos of him lying on the roof as he prepared to shoot

https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasfuck/comments/1e2xnbl/image_of_trump_assassin_thomas_matthew_crooks/#lightbox

(Don't worry, no gore)

And for at least four minutes people were warning the Seekyservs that there was about to be a Sassytempz, which means Headrolleroony

It is all quite peculiar
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    I s'pose the protection unit had to take him out, but this feels a bit like Lee Harvey Oswald and we'll never know why Thomas Crooks took a potus shot
    Leon said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes. And he was so visible people were able to take photos of him lying on the roof as he prepared to shoot

https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasfuck/comments/1e2xnbl/image_of_trump_assassin_thomas_matthew_crooks/#lightbox

(Don't worry, no gore)

And for at least four minutes people were warning the Seekyservs that there was about to be a Sassytempz, which means Headrolleroony

It is all quite peculiar
    "There's a bloke wandering around with an assault rifle!"

Statey Troopz: "Yes you twat, it's a MAGA rally"

"But he's up on a roof!"

SCOTUS: "AS IS HIS RIGHT"
This discussion has been closed.