Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Who is the greatest leader of the 21st century so far? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    edited July 14
    tlg86 said:

Just watching the tour de drugs, it seems they’re still bothered about COVID. Probably the only thing being tested for.

LOL....drugs seem particularly good this year, beating some record splits for climbs.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,506
    Thank goodness this dimwit isn't rivalling Farage as a go-to rightwinger for the media.

https://x.com/edwinhayward/status/1812418519104983408
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,426

Around 1 in 4 people of working age in the UK have a criminal record

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/disclosing-your-criminal-record-guidance-for-those-with-offences/disclosing-your-criminal-record

This seems an incredibly statistic. Given women commit far less crime, it must be nearer 1 in 3 adult men?

I suspect it is very very demographic specific. But we dont talk about that. On a tangent to that, and more relevant to the link DBS disclosures really are quite ruinous for those wanting to move on with their lives having paid their debt and served their sentence. DBS creep has really taken over whole areas of employment.
    I thought the government lost a court case a few years ago that meant that DBS couldn't be used to pick up minor crimes irrelevant to the job in question?
    Has it been rolled back a bit then? I had a relative who having left the forces almost lost a job giving out parking penalty notices because twenty three years earlier he was with some friends who stole stuff from a shop and he pleaded guilty.
    The Supreme Court has ruled in favour of three people who claimed their lives were blighted by past minor criminal convictions. The judges found the way the criminal records are disclosed to employers infringed human rights. The government will have to consider reform of the system, said BBC legal affairs correspondent Clive Coleman.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47054647
    This is one of the instances that can tell us if Starmer has the “push” to actually change things.

The entire permanent system loves retention of data. Remember the police fighting to retain DNA samples of innocent and non-suspect people?
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

TimS said:

I’d forgotten about Trump’s own record of commentary on political assassination.

https://x.com/brianklaas/status/1812328254499647796?s=46

You reap what you sow . Trump has become a conduit for hate and violence.
    So Trump deserves to get shot?
    If you forment hate and violence then you can't moan when it erupts. Trump is threatening a civil war if he doesn’t win . His comments are inciting violence . The GOP trying to beatify him now is vomit inducing .
    There it is. Trump deserves to be shot. That is the real opinion of the Left. That's the comment. Right there
    Yes but the left are righteous (as defined by themselves) not right wing deplorables, so for them to do so is understandable and proper,
    Given that the PB lefties are now admitting that they want Trump dead and it's a shame he survived because he deserves to be killed, then one can only presume that this was, indeed, a lefty conspiracy to kill Trump
    How would you feel about a communist plot to kill Hitler in 1936?
    Nervous it might go wrong

But Trump is not Hitler. That is the point. He really isn't. He's a mad narcissist but look what he actually did in office? What he mainly did was boast and make stupid remarks and generally embarrass America, it wasn't a Hitlerite dictatorship. And, by the way, no major wars started on his watch

However the Dems hate him so much they;ve gone entirely mad and they have dialled up the rhetoric to the point where last weak Biden literally encouraged people to kill Trump - "put him in a bullseye"

And now someone has tried to kill him

Trump instigated a violent attack on the US Congress designed to overturn the result of the Presidential election. That's quite embarrassing, to put it mildly.

Quote:
    ""I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."
    To be fair it was mainly peaceful....
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/disclosing-your-criminal-record-guidance-for-those-with-offences/disclosing-your-criminal-record

This seems an incredibly statistic. Given women commit far less crime, it must be nearer 1 in 3 adult men?

I suspect it is very very demographic specific. But we dont talk about that. On a tangent to that, and more relevant to the link DBS disclosures really are quite ruinous for those wanting to move on with their lives having paid their debt and served their sentence. DBS creep has really taken over whole areas of employment.
    I thought the government lost a court case a few years ago that meant that DBS couldn't be used to pick up minor crimes irrelevant to the job in question?
    Has it been rolled back a bit then? I had a relative who having left the forces almost lost a job giving out parking penalty notices because twenty three years earlier he was with some friends who stole stuff from a shop and he pleaded guilty.
    The Supreme Court has ruled in favour of three people who claimed their lives were blighted by past minor criminal convictions. The judges found the way the criminal records are disclosed to employers infringed human rights. The government will have to consider reform of the system, said BBC legal affairs correspondent Clive Coleman.

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act is already one of the most complicated and convoluted Acts on the statute book. I had a few civil cases where it had been wrongly applied and spent convictions were disclosed to prospective employers. In fairness to those administering the schemes at least one involved counsel on both sides arguing for a full day whether the Act applied or not when there was complete agreement about the underlying facts. Its a mess.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    tlg86 said:

Just watching the tour de drugs, it seems they’re still bothered about COVID. Probably the only thing being tested for.

I love the idea of motor doping including the fact that the prototype was bought for $2m on condition the inventor kept quiet about it for 10 years.
    edited July 14
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

How many of those are relatively minor motoring offences? I got done for speeding once.
    Speeding doesn't count as having a criminal record if you pay the fine.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/blog/2023/01/motoring-conviction-criminal-record/
    TBF that stat from gov.uk does not specift whether it means "current criminal record" or "spent criminal record", or for how it will appear on a standard or enhanced DBS check.

Motoring offences are criminal in law aiui, but criminal records etc will apply when taken to Court.

So PCNs do not translate to a criminal record. I'm not sure of the Criminal Record status of a totting-up ban, which *does* require a Court hearing.
    I wasn't really thinking about it in terms of DBS checks, and if we say it is at any time had a criminal conviction, I still thought that was quite an incredible proportion.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,276

Congratulations on the PB mods for deleting all of the posts calling for Trump to be killed before anyone has a chance to read them. Anyone except for Leon, that is.

Have they all been deleted??

lol

I can assure you they existed
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,260
    Stocky said:

@kinabalu

Are you betting in Player of the tournament? Volumes on bf are low unfortunately.

I have a bit on Rodri at 5.7 - I think he should be favourite over Yamal.

But does it change things in England win? Perhaps.

Bellingham is strongest in bf market at 9.2. He doesn't justified that IMO; best England player over all the games is Saka.

I backed him at 29 after the last game and he is now 18.5. Still value I think.

No I just straight out backed England for the tourny. Saka sounds good at that price, yes.

Tennis, Alcaraz in 4 is a good bet imo.
  • WildernessPt2WildernessPt2 Posts: 305

That sounds very high, even including cautions for minor offences like possession for personal use and sitting near Boris on his birthday.
    Nobody likes Rishi so hardly anyone has sympathy for him, but him getting that penalty notice was a grotesque miscarriage of justice.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,028

Leon said:

Anyway....I shall be taking a leave of absence from pb.com for a while. Nothing to do with the election result. I have taken on a consultancy role - and part of my requirements are to comply with a strict clampdown on social media postings. (They are cool about the moths, but not my having a take on current affairs.)

So farewell and adieu. I shall continue to lurk, but keep my thoughts to myself until such time as I can again spout off.

Toodle-pip!

Hey mate, sad to see you go!

Like @RochdalePioneers says, can't you post even more anonymously? There aren't many righties remaining on here, we need voices like yours

If not, fare thee well. Hope to see you again, some day
    Cheers all, I will be back. And when I do, I trust I will be able to explain my absence with a fanfare.

Til then, play nice. I will be watching, keeping notes...

(My Good Lady Wife will also be busy, filming a Rose Tremain story, probably two, with a bipic of Marian Faithful in between. What bit of time we have not taken up by work should probably be spent together, rather than my being on pb.com!

...but if the Spirit of Brian Clough should start posting, around the time of the US election maybe, I might have sneaked out to play for a bit!)
    Good luck, and hopefully as we are both from the saner part of the conservative party with a shared interest in tidal power we can both contribute more fully in times to come and not let Labour have a completely free run
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    edited July 14
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

TimS said:

I’d forgotten about Trump’s own record of commentary on political assassination.

Obviously, yes. If he doesn't, who does?
    Why? He's an arse, but is that enough for him to be murdered? That is just madness.
    More than an arse. He's evil and the world is a worse place for his presence. However if he were to die by political violence it could trigger god knows what. Best that his attempt to regain the WH is thwarted some other way.
    Yes, by the best possible way, the ballot box. No good comes from executing politicians in a free society.
    Ballot box is best (and imo will happen). Equal best (unlikely now) is his crimes disqualify him. Death or incapicitation by natural causes would not be the most terrible of developments. Assassination, no. That would be dreadful. I despise him but I can see that.
    In the USA crimes do *not* disqualify him from running by rule of law, unless it is something like the Republican Party holding up their hands in horror.

It does mean he can't vote aiui.

He can run for President from a prison cell. Two have done it before.

Two previous candidates, Eugene V. Debs in 1920, and Lyndon LaRouche in 1992, both ran from prison.
    https://archive.ph/aZyoI
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,214
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

TimS said:

Obviously, yes. If he doesn't, who does?
    Why? He's an arse, but is that enough for him to be murdered? That is just madness.
    More than an arse. He's evil and the world is a worse place for his presence. However if he were to die by political violence it could trigger god knows what. Best that his attempt to regain the WH is thwarted some other way.
    Yes, by the best possible way, the ballot box. No good comes from executing politicians in a free society.
    Ballot box is best (and imo will happen). Equal best (unlikely now) is his crimes disqualify him. Death or incapicitation by natural causes would not be the most terrible of developments. Assassination, no. That would be dreadful. I despise him but I can see that.
    AIUI in the USA crimes do *not* disqualify him. It does mean he can't vote aiui.

He can run for President from a prison cell. Two have done it before.

Two previous candidates, Eugene V. Debs in 1920, and Lyndon LaRouche in 1992, both ran from prison.
    https://archive.ph/aZyoI
    Voting rules for felons or those in prison vary from state to state. Trump is registered in Florida and is not barred by Florida from voting because of his conviction.
    edited July 14
    DavidL said:

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act is already one of the most complicated and convoluted Acts on the statute book. I had a few civil cases where it had been wrongly applied and spent convictions were disclosed to prospective employers. In fairness to those administering the schemes at least one involved counsel on both sides arguing for a full day whether the Act applied or not when there was complete agreement about the underlying facts. Its a mess.
    The use of DBS checks also feels like massive mission creep. They were first introduced really to stop paedos getting to work with kids ever again.

That sounds very high, even including cautions for minor offences like possession for personal use and sitting near Boris on his birthday.
    Nobody likes Rishi so hardly anyone has sympathy for him, but him getting that penalty notice was a grotesque miscarriage of justice.
    Up there with Dreyfus and Evans and the Birmingham six. Sure.

This is one of the instances that can tell us if Starmer has the “push” to actually change things.

The entire permanent system loves retention of data. Remember the police fighting to retain DNA samples of innocent and non-suspect people?
    And they just love their non crime hate incidents... Even when told to pack it in.

And they just love their non crime hate incidents... Even when told to pack it in.
    That is proper 1984 shit.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437

ohnotnow said:

Good afternoon

Waking up to the news this morning of the assination attempt on Trump was disturbing but in today's climate of hate not surprising

This mornings media have been all about a more gentle and kinder political discourse, but forgive me, as much as I agree, it is just too simplistic and I doubt anything will change going forward

The pictures of Trump's bloodied face surrounded by armed security and raising his fist in defiance may well prove to be an election winning one much to the dismay of millions

On domestic politics Starmer has made an excellent start and looks as if he will enjoy a prolonged honeymoon but he does need to reign in the worst of Rayner and Miliband

I see a long and rocky road ahead for the conservatives but hope the moderates win through and pay the Reform membership fee for Braverman to join without delay ( if even they will have her)

I see the Lib Dems are up in arms over solar farms in the south and expect they will be leading the opposition to the imposition in their local areas

I do not intend contributing much for now as I am content to see how politics evolve over the coming months.

My health is not the best, ( I was photographed on the Summit of Snowdon last week for the first time with a walking stick) but then I have so much to be thankful for with the medics and I think of our own @OldKingCole who has much more mobility problems then I have

I get a crick in my neck just looking up at the summit of Snowdon - so you're doing something right!

Good luck with things BigG - hope to have you back as we approach conference season and the US elections (god help us!).
    I did go up on the train and stayed in the terminus but my daughter did make it to the summit in misty magical conditions, but not for anyone who has balance and mobility problems

750,000 people walk up Snowdon every year and the Llanberis path is very popular and is 5 miles

Each July there is a race to the summit and back to Llanberis (10 mies) and the record is an astonishing 62 minutes.

It takes the train that one way and if you know the upper section of the Llanberis path it is very dodgy and in parts dangerous
    It isn't at all dangerous in normal conditions. It is not much more dangerous than an uneven pavement.

It _is_ dangerous is in winter conditions, when idiots wander up there on hard snow without any equipment and cannot stop themselves sliding over the cliff if they slip.

I have been witness to these idiots on more than one occasion whilst kitted up with the usual array of metal spiky things. Fortunately I have never actually seen someone go over the edge.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,477
    tlg86 said:

I'm dipping in and out of the Vitoria-Gasteiz Ironman. Two Brits in the lead of the women's race coming onto the run. One of whom is Ruth Astle, who has had an injury that has stopped her running for months. I hope she does well.

"dear, this steak isnt very nice, maybe we should send it back"
    "what about the starving millions in Africa, typical selfish white man"
    edited July 14

An amusing touch was when the police sent people out to demand details from shopkeepers of people buying the memorial edition of Charlie Hebdo -

One shopkeeper was threatened with arrest when he started writing down the uniform numbers of the police asking him for customers details.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,363

I'm surprised, given the police's poor record of catching petty criminals.
  • Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

EDF are looking for investors to put another £5 billion into Hinkley C nuclear power station. Good luck with that!

Those EDF Board members who resigned before the morning before the decision to go ahead was taken are looking like the smartest guys in the room. (It now won't start production until at least 2029 BTW.)

How is this taking so long, over budget erc. I thought the point was this was what EDF knew how to do as they have loads in France?
    "In a letter to staff, seen by the BBC, Stuart Crooks, the managing director of Hinkley Point C, said there were 7,000 substantial design changes required by British regulations that needed to be made to the site, with 35% more steel and 25% more concrete needed than originally planned."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68073279
    So the classic British habit of gold plating the gold plating...
    As always. What the hell is wrong with a straight copy of the French reactor on which it’s based? Recognise the regulations as equivalent (France isn’t Russia or America) and just build a copy of the French one!
    Reference @Malmesbury's process state.

Such regulations, and Labour's instinctive bent to follow to the letter and add to them, are

I must say I'm disappointed with Reform. Since their historic general-election win, the first I've seen of Nigel is today with him doing the quivering bottom lip over Trump. Can't see them holding on to many seats next time if this is the best of their efforts.

Yes. Farage should be all over this Deputy Speaker row, demanding a Reform Speaker because they got more votes than the LibDems. No chance of getting one, of course, but that's not the point.
    I don't think Reform are very interested in Westminster Village proedural guff.

Trump's reaction to the attack on Nancy Pelosi's husband:

https://x.com/brianklaas/status/1812328254499647796

No, it isnt. This is a speech a year after it happened. It's grotesque and horrible, but is not what you say it is.
    ??? It's a reaction. It shows that Trump does not care about political violence - when it's to your opponents, at least.
    edited July 14
    Andy_JS said:

Good point. Some areas of the country 90% of "every day crime" goes unsolved.
    edited July 14

MattW said:

Sandpit said:

How many of those are relatively minor motoring offences? I got done for speeding once.
    Speeding doesn't count as having a criminal record if you pay the fine.

https://www.adrianflux.co.uk/blog/2023/01/motoring-conviction-criminal-record/
    TBF that stat from gov.uk does not specift whether it means "current criminal record" or "spent criminal record", or for how it will appear on a standard or enhanced DBS check.

Motoring offences are criminal in law aiui, but criminal records etc will apply when taken to Court.

So PCNs do not translate to a criminal record. I'm not sure of the Criminal Record status of a totting-up ban, which *does* require a Court hearing.
    I wasn't really thinking about it in terms of DBS checks, and if we say it is at any time had a criminal conviction, I still thought that was quite an incredible proportion.
    I'd like to know how many of those are due to police cautions.

Remember that even Iain Dale has one of those.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24285711

An amusing touch was when the police sent people out to demand details from shopkeepers of people buying the memorial edition of Charlie Hebdo -

One shopkeeper was threatened with arrest when he started writing down the uniform numbers of the police asking him for customers details.
    Wow, I don't remember that one.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    MattW said:

Phil said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

TimS said:

No, but Trump getting shot by a neo-Nazi would be a neat piece of cinematic irony. (I have no idea what the political affiliations of the shooter are.)
    Has Trump ever participated in neo-nazi behaviour or sought out their support? No seriously, has he?
    Trump celebrates and minimises violence, and has used language straight out of early Hitler.

eg Immigrants "poisoning the blood" of America.
    https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-repeats-poisoning-blood-anti-immigrant-remark-2023-12-16/

Is he Fascist? Imo, if he follows his declared programme, quite possibly.
    The Project 2025 programme is fascist in all but name.

"When fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and waving the cross.”

Yeah, I don't believe you. You've been on Team Trump for yonks. All the anti-wokery rubbish you spout shows that.

Is Tony Blair on Team Trump? How about Wes Streeting with his ban on puberty blockers for trans kids?
    That's a rather unusual take on what I said. Have either Streeting or Blair been screeching about WOKE at every opportunity? No, of course not.

But at least by saying 'trans kids' you're admitting trans kids exist. Which is better than some people...
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,028

ohnotnow said:

Good afternoon

Waking up to the news this morning of the assination attempt on Trump was disturbing but in today's climate of hate not surprising

This mornings media have been all about a more gentle and kinder political discourse, but forgive me, as much as I agree, it is just too simplistic and I doubt anything will change going forward

The pictures of Trump's bloodied face surrounded by armed security and raising his fist in defiance may well prove to be an election winning one much to the dismay of millions

On domestic politics Starmer has made an excellent start and looks as if he will enjoy a prolonged honeymoon but he does need to reign in the worst of Rayner and Miliband

I see a long and rocky road ahead for the conservatives but hope the moderates win through and pay the Reform membership fee for Braverman to join without delay ( if even they will have her)

I see the Lib Dems are up in arms over solar farms in the south and expect they will be leading the opposition to the imposition in their local areas

I do not intend contributing much for now as I am content to see how politics evolve over the coming months.

My health is not the best, ( I was photographed on the Summit of Snowdon last week for the first time with a walking stick) but then I have so much to be thankful for with the medics and I think of our own @OldKingCole who has much more mobility problems then I have

I get a crick in my neck just looking up at the summit of Snowdon - so you're doing something right!

Good luck with things BigG - hope to have you back as we approach conference season and the US elections (god help us!).
    I did go up on the train and stayed in the terminus but my daughter did make it to the summit in misty magical conditions, but not for anyone who has balance and mobility problems

750,000 people walk up Snowdon every year and the Llanberis path is very popular and is 5 miles

Each July there is a race to the summit and back to Llanberis (10 mies) and the record is an astonishing 62 minutes.

It takes the train that one way and if you know the upper section of the Llanberis path it is very dodgy and in parts dangerous
    It isn't at all dangerous in normal conditions. It is not much more dangerous than an uneven pavement.

It _is_ dangerous is in winter conditions, when idiots wander up there on hard snow without any equipment and cannot stop themselves sliding over the cliff if they slip.

I have been witness to these idiots on more than one occasion whilst kitted up with the usual array of metal spiky things. Fortunately I have never actually seen someone go over the edge.
    I have been up twice by train in the last 10 days and on both occasions the upper part of the Llanberis path where the race is run was wet and not at all good for running the 10 miles in 62 minutes

Indeed it is an astonishing record even in favourable conditions
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332

DavidL said:

The use of DBS checks also feels like massive mission creep. They were first introduced really to stop paedos getting to work with kids ever again.
    Yes, it was the Huntley/Soham murders case although the fact he worked as a school caretaker didn't seem to have a lot to do with the crime. But once we create these bureaucracies mission creep is inevitable.

Andy_JS said:

Some petty criminals must commit so much crime that the police eventually get them, even if it's only 5% of the time.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,477
    Conor Burns tears into Truss.

" “This lunatic lie that it was the conspiracies, it was the deep state, it was the Treasury, it was the Office for Budget Responsibility, it was gnomes at the bottom of the garden."

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/conor-burns-launches-outspoken-attack-on-delusional-liz-truss_uk_6693a34de4b01d94edcc3050
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,260

Quite. Anybody on this guy's side is intellectually and morally decrepit.
    Cicero said:

MattW said:

Phil said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

TimS said:

No, but Trump getting shot by a neo-Nazi would be a neat piece of cinematic irony. (I have no idea what the political affiliations of the shooter are.)
    Has Trump ever participated in neo-nazi behaviour or sought out their support? No seriously, has he?
    Trump celebrates and minimises violence, and has used language straight out of early Hitler.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-repeats-poisoning-blood-anti-immigrant-remark-2023-12-16/

"When fascism comes to America, it will come wrapped in the flag and waving the cross.”
    And what does it have to do with Trump?
    edited July 14

I must say I'm disappointed with Reform. Since their historic general-election win, the first I've seen of Nigel is today with him doing the quivering bottom lip over Trump. Can't see them holding on to many seats next time if this is the best of their efforts.

Yes. Farage should be all over this Deputy Speaker row, demanding a Reform Speaker because they got more votes than the LibDems. No chance of getting one, of course, but that's not the point.

(Quotes borked. I start here)

Deputy Speakers are elected. I think Farage will waffle about how important he is, then run away - his candidate will get between Four and A Few More votes.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/mps-and-lords/principal/deputy-speakers/
  • Around 1 in 4 people of working age in the UK have a criminal record

Which appear on enhanced DBS checks too. As do allegations which do not lead to a court case or lead to "not guilty "
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes, it was the Huntley/Soham murders case although the fact he worked as a school caretaker didn't seem to have a lot to do with the crime. But once we create these bureaucracies mission creep is inevitable.
    It was the then editor of the sun banging on and on about it combined with new Labours authoritarian instincts.
    Is it me, or could the BBC headline; "US Secret Service facing questions after Donald Trump survives assassination attempt" be seen as "Why did the Secret Service let him live?" :)
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Some petty criminals must commit so much crime that the police eventually get them, even if it's only 5% of the time.
    I am sure that is true. And you often find the residents of crime ridden areas know who they are and glad when they finally get locked up as it gives them a rest from it. Obviously the problem is can you turn these people around and how to do best go about it.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349

tlg86 said:

I love the idea of motor doping including the fact that the prototype was bought for $2m on condition the inventor kept quiet about it for 10 years.
    Don’t they now have a scanner that the bikes have to pass through every day to get to the course, so that the scrutineers can spot hidden motors or batteries?
    kinabalu said:

Ah, yes. Leon's on his side. That explains it. Evidently your IQ can get so STUPENDOUSLY HIGH that it overflows the signed integer and takes on negative values.... ;)
    edited July 14
    kinabalu said:

The Democrat candidate is actually mad, and they've covered up this madness for a year. And they still want Americans to vote for him

Given the hideous choice between a nasty amoral narcissist president or an actively mad president, you choose the sane but horrible one, because he is the one less likely to burn the world. A mad president like Biden could do ANYTHING, Trump will likely just be vindictive, vainglorious and very bad for Ukraine, but he won't start a nuclear war by accident

That's the state of affairs, and you cannot wish it away with pitiful moral bleating. Of course, if the Dems get the cullions to displace Biden and get someone sane, I will likely change my mind

Bookmark this comment

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

Don’t they now have a scanner that the bikes have to pass through every day to get to the course, so that the scrutineers can spot hidden motors or batteries?
    I believe so. So it's probably not happening.

That was the standard response when faced with a revolting school dinner in the 70s
    The UK is going to be a magnet for anyone who wants to live in a politically stable country.
    Have the mods really deleted all the "I wish Trump was dead" remarks? I can't be arsed to go through the thread
    edited July 14
    Disclosure and Barring Service who runs DBS checks takes in over £200 million in fees every year.

That is a fair old mission creep from check to ensure we don't get paedos working in schools.
  • Leon said:

Have the mods really deleted all the "I wish Trump was dead" remarks? I can't be arsed to go through the thread

I think the poster was implying that said posts were ficticious

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It was the then editor of the sun banging on and on about it combined with new Labours authoritarian instincts.
    Plus the instincts of permanent system of government. Indefinite detention without trial is among the pile of folders that get handed to the Home Sec after each terrorist incident. Michael Howard said that one of the jobs of the Home Sec was to drop the pile of crazy stuff, after such incidents, straight in the bin.

Leon said:

I think the poster was implying that said posts were ficticious
    Well, we all saw them, and anyone that saw them and denies it is a liar

That was the standard response when faced with a revolting school dinner in the 70s
    Ah, boiled liver. Utterly bulletproof.

Too soon?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,477
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

The Democrat candidate is actually mad, and they've covered up this madness for a year. And they still want Americans to vote for him

Given the hideous choice between a nasty amoral narcissist president or an actively mad president, you choose the sane but horrible one, because he is the one less likely to burn the world. A mad president like Biden could do ANYTHING, Trump will likely just be vindictive, vainglorious and very bad for Ukraine, but he won't start a nuclear war by accident

That's the state of affairs, and you cannot wish it away with pitiful moral bleating. Of course, if the Dems get the cullions to displace Biden and get someone sane, I will likely change my mind

Bookmark this comment

Biden isn't mad. We agree he is unfit to run and certainly unfit due to age to be POTUS for four more years. But isn't mad, he's old.

Too soon?
    Beef Stew was my "favourite". Thinly flavoured hot water with lumps of inedible gristle.
    Dura_Ace Posts: 13,401

11:53AM
    Leon said:
    » show previous quotes

"So Trump deserves to get shot?"

Dure_Ace:

"Obviously, yes. If he doesn't, who does?"

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4895758#Comment_4895758

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Bookmark this comment

Biden isn't mad. We agree he is unfit to run and certainly unfit due to age to be POTUS for four more years. But isn't mad, he's old.

No, he's mad. Dementia IS madness
  • Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Bookmark this comment

Mad in the King George sense rather than the Hitler sense.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,557

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Bookmark this comment

More importantly, "Biden is mad" only works as a slam-dunk if Trump isn't mad.

And Trump having been mad for several years is the most charitable exploration of his actions.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

They do but some of the electronics for the gear system is in the seat tube which is exactly where motor doping systems like Vivax are located. There are also riders and teams that the UCI simply don't want to catch.

Motor doping is absolutely rife in amateur competitions where there is very little and mostly inexpert technical scrutineering.

It was so different in my day competing when one had to heroically test one's limits by seeing how much OTC stimulants one could inject before one's heart exploded. A lost age of Corinthian sportsmanship.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,480
    tlg86 said:

Their main problem was being one of the first sports to take doping seriously. Lots of people with your attitude - far fewer will watch the Wimbledon final with similar thoughts as the tennis authorities have wisely minimised their testing regime to try and prevent the inevitable cynicism that comes with catching cheats.

Too soon?
    Beef Stew was my "favourite". Thinly flavoured hot water with lumps of inedible gristle.
    Beef Stew - Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuxxxxxxuuuurrrrrrrry!

{pryers lid off a double case of magnums of Chateau du Chasseur}

You 'ad Beef! Stew! We would 'ave killed for Beef Stew... etc etc

Cicero said:

MattW said:

Phil said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

TimS said:

And what does it have to do with Trump?
    A lof of Trumpites and MAGA-types are behind Project 2025. And it is quite sinister in certain aspects. However, to confuse things, Trump has recently denounced it:

"Former President Donald Trump is seeking distance from Project 2025, a controversial plan developed by the ultra-conservative Heritage Foundation to transform the American government. Trump wrote on his social media website that he knows “nothing” about the project and thinks they are proposing “ridiculous” things. "

https://www.npr.org/2024/07/11/nx-s1-5033006/trump-is-distancing-himself-from-project-2025-but-some-in-his-circle-have-ties-to-it
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 659
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

They do but some of the electronics for the gear system is in the seat tube which is exactly where motor doping systems like Vivax are located. There are also riders and teams that the UCI simply don't want to catch.

Motor doping is absolutely rife in amateur competitions where there is very little and mostly inexpert technical scrutineering.

It was so different in my day competing when one had to heroically test one's limits by seeing how much OTC stimulants one could inject before one's heart exploded. A lost age of Corinthian sportsmanship.
    Why do the gears need electronics?
    edited July 14

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Bookmark this comment

More importantly, "Biden is mad" only works as a slam-dunk if Trump isn't mad.

And Trump having been mad for several years is the most charitable exploration of his actions.
    Trump isn't mad. He's a nasty piece of work, but mad, no. There are occasional hints of decline. But nothing remotely as bad as Biden

His remarkable sang froid in the face of the assassination attempt shows a pretty level head. Biden would probably have had a cardiac and then thrown dung at the trees
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

How else are they going to work? With Bowden cables like it's 1905?

Nobody has won a Grand Tour with mechanical gears since Nibali in 2014.
    The conspiracy theories, hereafter known as the connytheers, are already brilliant

Here's a mad evangelical predicting EXACTLY what happened to Trump, right down to the bullet grazing his ear. WTF

Three months ago

https://x.com/davincentjames/status/1812384751648645375

I once was married to a lady from much further away parts, in her family it was "What about the starving children in China?" for not finishing their food.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,105

They are not but they should be, not because they really want to lose 20 per cent of their strength to the Speaker's team but to remind the public and pundits that Reform is the third party on votes cast. 4 million Reform, 3.5 million LibDem.

Essentially the Deputy Speaker kerfuffle is just a hare for getting Nige back on QT (in the Commons and on telly).
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 659
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

How else are they going to work? With Bowden cables like it's 1905?

Nobody has won a Grand Tour with mechanical gears since Nibali in 2014.
    TIL
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,750

kinabalu said:

Ah, yes. Leon's on his side. That explains it. Evidently your IQ can get so STUPENDOUSLY HIGH that it overflows the signed integer and takes on negative values.... ;)
    It's possible to have a high IQ and to be both fatuous and gullible. These are not exclusive states.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,750
    edited July 14
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Indeed, as well as being one of those bits of bureaucracy that get in the way like AML on house sales, they really don't seem very good for their primary purpose and are a way that past offenders get prevented from getting straight jobs.

*Enhanced DBS checks can take 6 months, and are a real problem for recruitment. I have lost count of the numbers of staff appointments that we have lost as a result of delays.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,910
    It hit him in the ear. A rifle bullet.

World history by half an inch.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349
    Eabhal said:

The more you see it, the more you realise just how close it was.

That photographer with the high speed camera which actually caught an image of the bullet was astonishing.
    Eabhal said:

I was just trying to extrapolate what might be happening now if he HAD died

Would America be in civil war already?

We may still be headed for civil war if it turns out this was some conspiracy with political involvement from the left

Another bad consequence of this horror is that, lamentably, it means Biden is more likely to remain the Dem candidate. At this crucial point, all the focus is now OFF the POTUS and ON Trump. Biden can hide away again, and by the time everyone turns back to Biden it will be too late

What a disaster for America, in multiple ways
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    Um David Lammy to be first out of cabinet......

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy
    4 US Presidents have been assassinated snowflake.
    edited July 14
    Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

You will have to link to that, for us to believe it is true

EDIT: I've just checked his TwiX-feed, and he said no such thing, unless he']s deleted it. He's not a stupid man, I am highly skeptical he would say such an incredibly daft thing
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,599
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

We may still be headed for civil war if it turns out this was some conspiracy with political involvement from the left

Another bad consequence of this horror is that, lamentably, it means Biden is more likely to remain the Dem candidate. At this crucial point, all the focus is now OFF the POTUS and ON Trump. Biden can hide away again, and by the time everyone turns back to Biden it will be too late

This will surely provoke reprisals from the Right. If conspiracy theories about a pizza outlet can send someone on an armed rampage, what will this do?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,869
    Leon said:

No Leon. They were a figment of your fevered imagination.

My post was not to be taken literally.
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

It's possible to have a high IQ and to be both fatuous and gullible. These are not exclusive states.
    Indeed. It's also perfectly possible to believe you have a high IQ when you do not.

Or to have had a high IQ when you were tested decades ago, but now be a simpering idiot due to a combination of drink and drug abuse, and venereal diseases... ;)
    Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

EDIT: I've just checked his TwiX-feed, and he said no such thing, unless he']s deleted it. He's not a stupid man, I am highly skeptical he would say such an incredibly daft thing
    It's from 2019. I should if checked the date. Sorry
  • Leon said:

Eabhal said:

It's hard to imagine an assassination attempt looking less like a left wing conspiracy...

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

It's hard to imagine an assassination attempt looking less like a left wing conspiracy...
    What, a week after President Biden said "it's time to forget the debate, and put a bullseye on Trump"?

Then a week later a shooter puts a literal bullseye on Trump, and comes half a centimetre from killing him?

Yeah, sure, clearly the Dems are entirely innocent
    Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

lol. Fair enough. We all make mistakes

Talking of mistakes, there are some informed people on TwiX now claiming that the supposed shooter Thomas Crooks might NOT be the man who tried to kill Trump. What a mess

An interesting thread here, which mentions this

https://x.com/DefensePolitics/status/1812302428211134538
    Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

Talking of mistakes, there are some informed people on TwiX now claiming that the supposed shooter Thomas Crooks might NOT be the man who tried to kill Trump. What a mess

I think we should all just wait for little while. The FBI etc will come out with the truth soon.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550
    Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

Linking to twitter threads doesn't work any more, they only show you the top one unless you're logged in.

Leon said:

No, they weren't inaginary:

Leon said:
    » show previous quotes

Dure_Ace:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

"informed people"

LOL.

I looked at that link. Firstly, it does appear slightly conspiracy-theory-y. Then I look at the stuff the account posts and links to, and yep. Not informed. I mean, he reposts Andrew Tate's shit.

Your idea of 'informed' means "people I agree with, whatever shit they say."

One to ignore.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:
    » show previous quotes

Dure_Ace:

Dura_Ace. Quite. If that is your only evidence, then I think you've lost the argument.
    You claimed that I imagined remarks justifying the shooting. I have showed you that I did not imagine them

Technically, that is called "winning" the argument. Sorry
    Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

I think we should all just wait for little while. The FBI etc will come out with the truth soon.
    For Leon, the truth will only be what he believes it to be. He knows the truth already... ;)
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,506

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

For Leon, the truth will only be what he believes it to be. He knows the truth already... ;)
    The truth is out there, just like Leon.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,869
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:
    » show previous quotes

Dure_Ace:

Dura_Ace. Quite. If that is your only evidence, then I think you've lost the argument.
    You claimed that I imagined remarks justifying the shooting. I have showed you that I did not imagine them

You are still saying remarks, plural.

And yet you can only point to a single post from PB's resident eco-anarchist, with nothing from any regular left of centre posters.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:
    » show previous quotes

Dure_Ace:

You are still saying remarks, plural.

And yet you can only point to a single post from PB's resident eco-anarchist, with nothing from any regular left of centre posters.

Here is nico679 essentially saying the shooting is justified

"I won’t engage in crocodile tears for Trump . If Trump wasn’t a sociopath with a single redeeming feature I might care. I really don’t."

"If you forment hate and violence then you can't moan when it erupts. Trump is threatening a civil war if he doesn’t win . His comments are inciting violence"

"You reap what you sow . Trump has become a conduit for hate and violence."

YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW = Trump deserved this
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,096
    Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

"Some people say..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited July 14

Leon said:

Anyway....I shall be taking a leave of absence from pb.com for a while. Nothing to do with the election result. I have taken on a consultancy role - and part of my requirements are to comply with a strict clampdown on social media postings. (They are cool about the moths, but not my having a take on current affairs.)

So farewell and adieu. I shall continue to lurk, but keep my thoughts to myself until such time as I can again spout off.

Toodle-pip!

Hey mate, sad to see you go!

Like @RochdalePioneers says, can't you post even more anonymously? There aren't many righties remaining on here, we need voices like yours

If not, fare thee well. Hope to see you again, some day
    Cheers all, I will be back. And when I do, I trust I will be able to explain my absence with a fanfare.

Til then, play nice. I will be watching, keeping notes...

(My Good Lady Wife will also be busy, filming a Rose Tremain story, probably two, with a bipic of Marian Faithful in between. What bit of time we have not taken up by work should probably be spent together, rather than my being on pb.com!

...but if the Spirit of Brian Clough should start posting, around the time of the US election maybe, I might have sneaked out to play for a bit!)
    You claim that your changed circumstances will take you away from PB and Leon's increasingly excitable and rabid narrative on Trump and Biden during the preamble to the Presidential Election.

I call that very convenient!
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    Thank God Trump survived the assassination attempt

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Indeed. It's also perfectly possible to believe you have a high IQ when you do not.

Or to have had a high IQ when you were tested decades ago, but now be a simpering idiot due to a combination of drink and drug abuse, and venereal diseases... ;)
    Are we talking about 19th cent German philosophers, again?

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

David Lammy
    @DavidLammy

Linking to twitter threads doesn't work any more, they only show you the top one unless you're logged in.
    The final verdict on Twitter -

https://youtu.be/d3Mrfut-FSw?si=XzDl0CD-lr4Pi-rU

Sandpit said:

tlg86 said:

I believe so. So it's probably not happening.
    Here's a history.

At the TdF they do hundreds of tests, so I doubt whether it is possible there.

https://road.cc/content/news/pro-cyclist-says-motor-doping-impossible-top-level-308641
This discussion has been closed.