Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Who is the greatest leader of the 21st century so far? – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,551

NEW THREAD

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,511

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

It hit him in the ear. A rifle bullet.

World history by half an inch.

I was just trying to extrapolate what might be happening now if he HAD died

Would America be in civil war already?

We may still be headed for civil war if it turns out this was some conspiracy with political involvement from the left

Another bad consequence of this horror is that, lamentably, it means Biden is more likely to remain the Dem candidate. At this crucial point, all the focus is now OFF the POTUS and ON Trump. Biden can hide away again, and by the time everyone turns back to Biden it will be too late

What a disaster for America, in multiple ways
    It's hard to imagine an assassination attempt looking less like a left wing conspiracy...
    What, a week after President Biden said "it's time to forget the debate, and put a bullseye on Trump"?

Then a week later a shooter puts a literal bullseye on Trump, and comes half a centimetre from killing him?

Yeah, sure, clearly the Dems are entirely innocent
    But for an inch I think we’d have had armed insurrection on the streets of America today. It’s a pretty fair summation that the legal system has been used as a political weapon against trump, with jumped up book keeping charges aimed at keeping him off the ballot. And a big chunk of Americans will be looking at the extraordinary lapse in security yesterday and be wondering if it was more than incompetence.

If the hit had been successful, the emotion and anger would have caused a whirlwind that might not have been contained. Thousands of armed citizens seizing govt buildings all across the country.

That’s grade A moonshine, for sure.
    Which bit do you doubt? That lots of Americans will be wondering if this was more than a lone gunman? Or that if it had been successful, thousands of armed MAGAs wouldn’t have sought sweet vengeance? Or that the particular trial trump has stood in so far is pretty jumped up?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,477

RIP Shannen Doherty, dead of cancer aged 53.

I'll always remember her in Heathers, one of my favourite films. Not one I'll show my son until he's much older, though...

That film has a strange history of tragedy behind it.
    Oh? What's the story there?
    The first Heather died of a brain tumour. And the actor who played the annoying Peter committed suicide.
    Ah, thanks. That's sad.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

We may still be headed for civil war if it turns out this was some conspiracy with political involvement from the left

Another bad consequence of this horror is that, lamentably, it means Biden is more likely to remain the Dem candidate. At this crucial point, all the focus is now OFF the POTUS and ON Trump. Biden can hide away again, and by the time everyone turns back to Biden it will be too late

It's hard to imagine an assassination attempt looking less like a left wing conspiracy...
    What, a week after President Biden said "it's time to forget the debate, and put a bullseye on Trump"?

Then a week later a shooter puts a literal bullseye on Trump, and comes half a centimetre from killing him?

But for an inch I think we’d have had armed insurrection on the streets of America today. It’s a pretty fair summation that the legal system has been used as a political weapon against trump, with jumped up book keeping charges aimed at keeping him off the ballot. And a big chunk of Americans will be looking at the extraordinary lapse in security yesterday and be wondering if it was more than incompetence.

If the hit had been successful, the emotion and anger would have caused a whirlwind that might not have been contained. Thousands of armed citizens seizing govt buildings all across the country.

That’s grade A moonshine, for sure.
    Which bit do you doubt? That lots of Americans will be wondering if this was more than a lone gunman? Or that if it had been successful, thousands of armed MAGAs wouldn’t have sought sweet vengeance? Or that the particular trial trump has stood in so far is pretty jumped up?
    Crazy stuff.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,702
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

IF this was some kind of Trump-hating conspiracy (a big IF, but it's far from impossible) then that suggests there are enough people so alarmed or deranged by Trump they want him gone by any means. Which further suggests they will try again. They won't give up just because the first dude missed

I think that merits an Official Leondamus:

BRACE
    What about the two people in the crowd who were shot?

They weren't shot by the would-be assassin. He, presumably, wouldn't have had time to shoot three people before finally being shot himself.

Who shot them?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,214

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

IF this was some kind of Trump-hating conspiracy (a big IF, but it's far from impossible) then that suggests there are enough people so alarmed or deranged by Trump they want him gone by any means. Which further suggests they will try again. They won't give up just because the first dude missed

BRACE

They weren't shot by the would-be assassin. He, presumably, wouldn't have had time to shoot three people before finally being shot himself.

Who shot them?
    The would-be assassin fired 8 rounds. He shot them. You doofus.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,702

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

BRACE

Who shot them?
    The would-be assassin fired 8 rounds. He shot them. You doofus.
    I haven't watched any assassination videos, nor was my question the basis of any sort of theory. If you're looking for a doofus?
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 269

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

BRACE

Who shot them?
    What do you think happens to a rifle bullet that misses it's intended target? That it magically dissolves?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    Eabhal said:

@MattW , Transport Secretary tweeting about Laura Laker's book on the NCN: https://x.com/LouHaigh/status/1812482249771643367?t=HsgJQREHJcpik-GYIWyMKA&s=19

Thanks for that.

It's a brilliant book, because Laura talks about the history, the politics and the GBU of the network. And about a lot of people she met along the way.

She did a presentation at Active Travel Cafe last week, but I missed most of it because reasons, and the video is not up yet.

I've just got the e-book as my free trial for audible.

I'm quite impressed with Louise Haigh so far, as she seems open to changing her mind. She went from "Cycle in Sheffield - have you seen the hills?" to "E-cycles are great!" after borrowing one.

I need to know what colour her hair is though, she's just gone from ginger to blonde.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,886
    IanB2 said:

Today’s Sunday Rawnsley, from a sunny island with cloudless sky over a deep blue sea:

Sir Keir wants to show us a government with its foot pressed to the accelerator. The Tory years may appear to be fast receding in the nation’s rear-view mirror. And yet that doesn’t suit Team Starmer. Not at all. While they are keen to convince the country that it has got a busy new government, they are equally determined that the long years of Conservative rule are firmly lodged in the public mind. Labour will be most pleased if voters are still recoiling with repulsion from the Tories for years to come.

You may ask: why bother? The public are highly aware that the Conservatives made a shocking mess. Disgust with their record is why the number of Tory MPs in parliament has been crushed to the lowest level in their party’s history. “We’ve got them out. Now we’ve got to lock them out,” explains a member of Team Starmer.

“It’s crucial to buy us time,” says one confidant of the prime minister. “If we don’t explain the scale of the problems, people will get frustrated with us.” New homes will not be built overnight. Infrastructure can’t be created with a wave of the hand. Reducing NHS waiting lists will be a slow grind rather than a quick fix. The more that can be done to dramatise the dreadful legacy of the Conservatives, so goes the thinking at Number 10, the more slack Labour may be granted by voters.

When the Starmer government has to make tough and unpopular decisions, the Osborne model demonstrates how to redirect the blame on to your predecessors. As much as Sir Keir and his team will talk up a brighter future with Labour, they also want the nation never to forget its dark past under the Tories.

Absolutely. The Tories dug their political grave to Australia; let's put a cap on it.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,062
    Leon said:

...And then suddenly he becomes a trained shooter with an AR15...

This is only a puzzle to British eyes. He is American in an open carry state. The question is not why he is practiced with an AR15, it is why that surprises you. Guns are popular in the US.

• nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    Too negative . Even when we scored the team then went back into their shell . Spain thoroughly deserved to win .
This discussion has been closed.