Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What’s new pussy cat? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,165

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Patrick O'Flynn
    @oflynnsocial
    ·
    2h
    Am hearing from several places about a high turnout. This could mean any of 3 things a) the shy Tories have been hooked by the super-majority warning and are coming out b) enthusiasm for Lab to get the Tories out c) a Brexit-style working class surge for Reform.
    Take yer pick!

https://x.com/oflynnsocial/status/1808889969286557830

Or it is all three....
    Reform certainly seemed to improve their poll ratings in the final week as labour fell below 40% and the Tories fell a little further too.

I’m not convinced of an surge in voter numbers from anecdotal comments based on ‘someone said this’.

We shall see.
    Reform 7 or more seats now massive favourite on betfair.
    That's a clear lay for me. Reform aren't a party, they're a one man ego trip with the organisational skills of a drunk brontosaurus.
    Again you have to separate your personal opinions from the market. The market is saying reform likely more than 7 seats but markets can be wrong.
    The spreads imply they’re getting 8 seats
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,703

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Patrick O'Flynn
    @oflynnsocial
    ·
    2h
    Am hearing from several places about a high turnout. This could mean any of 3 things a) the shy Tories have been hooked by the super-majority warning and are coming out b) enthusiasm for Lab to get the Tories out c) a Brexit-style working class surge for Reform.
    Take yer pick!

Or it is all three....
    Reform certainly seemed to improve their poll ratings in the final week as labour fell below 40% and the Tories fell a little further too.

I’m not convinced of an surge in voter numbers from anecdotal comments based on ‘someone said this’.

We shall see.
    That's a clear lay for me. Reform aren't a party, they're a one man ego trip with the organisational skills of a drunk brontosaurus.
    Again you have to separate your personal opinions from the market. The market is saying reform likely more than 7 seats but markets can be wrong.
    I am saying the markets *are* wrong.

As for what I said, if you will show me how my statement about their status is not one of fact I'll reconsider my position.
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,740
    ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Patrick O'Flynn
    @oflynnsocial
    ·
    2h
    Take yer pick!

Or it is all three....

We shall see.
    But they may also turn out to be a popular ego trip amongst certain sections of the population. Nor do they need to win anything like a majority of the votes cast in their target seats if the bulk of them turn into three way marginals.

Exotic Labour and Reform gains in some exceedingly Tory places are not out of the question.
  • Options
    mickydroymickydroy Posts: 314
    You can still get 1/8, on Farage winning in Clacton, that is just buying money, nailed on
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Patrick O'Flynn
    @oflynnsocial
    ·
    2h
    Take yer pick!

Or it is all three....

We shall see.
    The spreads imply they’re getting 8 seats
    Make that 9
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 728
    ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Patrick O'Flynn
    @oflynnsocial
    ·
    2h
    Take yer pick!

Or it is all three....

We shall see.
    Like the GOP in 2016 then
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,429
    Leon said:

Patrick O'Flynn
    @oflynnsocial
    ·
    2h
    Take yer pick!

Or it is all three....
    Turnout was startling across Didcot and Wallingford today - long queues of voters at some places and steady polling all day, Unlikely to be a Reform surge, no Tories at polling stations anywhere (and no Tory posters either - and this is supposed to be a safe Tory seat) and Labour actively discouraged local members (switching off access to the polling data), so I think it's a LibDem surge. The LibDem campaign was almost exclusively air war, with leaflets arriving several times a week - interesting if that works.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,474

Reform 20% or more vote share now strong favourite on betfair. Was Goodwin right.

At one point didn't Goodwin have them at 25?
    My own personal theory is that Goodwin may have led his polling sample to that 25%, by asking them questions about Reform's policies before the VI question. I think he did it to find out how people responded to right wing policies. I think he didn't do it the next time, and they went back to 20%. Which seems more realistic.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,888

Reform 20% or more vote share now strong favourite on betfair. Was Goodwin right.

It's not the strong favourite in the sense that Betfair do the votes in bands with over 20% being the top band. So several of the bands give you a couple of percent either way, whereas the top band is ANYTHING above. That's only at 3.5 - so the odds on it being under 20% are still shorter than of it being over 20%.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,678

Bad news for knappers of flint-based marital aids.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c725wr19lz1o

This line ought also to concern the anti-cash brigade: Payment processors are also increasingly wary of working with platforms that enable sex based commerce.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,105

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Patrick O'Flynn
    @oflynnsocial
    ·
    2h
    Take yer pick!

Or it is all three....

We shall see.
    If we always trusted the markets on polling day we’d have had President Hillary and we’d still be in the EU.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Patrick O'Flynn
    @oflynnsocial
    ·
    2h
    Take yer pick!

Or it is all three....

We shall see.
    Like the GOP in 2016 then
    More like the Republicans* in 2020 and 2024 after the MAGA mob had captured it.

*When did people start calling it the GOP? Pretty much however you calculate it, it's a much younger party than the Dems.
  • Options
    ChristopherChristopher Posts: 91
    Sarah Vine has just tweeted. Has the exit poll leaked.

No surprise, I know, but I’m hearing MAHOOSIVE Labour majority…
    Last edited
    8:03 PM · Jul 4, 2024
    ·
    Views

https://x.com/WestminsterWAG/status/1808939743867998706
  • Options

Bad news for knappers of flint-based marital aids.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c725wr19lz1o

This line ought also to concern the anti-cash brigade: Payment processors are also increasingly wary of working with platforms that enable sex based commerce.
    That's politics finished then.

They can't take our money and fuck us over any more.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,688
    On the Exit Poll, if it’s all completed by early afternoon, how can they know the daytime voting cohort is representative of voters as a whole?

They’re already missing postal voters but evening voters too?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,379
    ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

What's the consensus then - BBC? ITV? Sky?

I've always gone BBC, but caught Laura K on news night yesterday and found her more annoying than I'd remembered, so I'll probably give ITV a go.

This is a change election! :lol:

We should have done a PB election night special.

TSE to host.

Hyufd doing the polls.

Nick Palmer doing the analysis.

RCS doing the tech.

Me doing the awesome puns.
    ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

I've always gone BBC, but caught Laura K on news night yesterday and found her more annoying than I'd remembered, so I'll probably give ITV a go.

TSE to host.

Hyufd doing the polls.

RCS doing the tech.

I would be happy to watch up till 10.01pm when i will be having an early night
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Patrick O'Flynn
    @oflynnsocial
    ·
    2h
    Take yer pick!

Or it is all three....

We shall see.
    If we always trusted the markets on polling day we’d have had President Hillary and we’d still be in the EU.
    Indeed. The markets got it far more wrong than the polls on both those occasions.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 94,282

kle4 said:

SteveS said:

kle4 said:

SteveS said:

Well I hope whoever is PM, one of their first acts is to pass a law standardising the names of constituencies. Why is it South West Norfolk, but Barnsley South? Makes it unnecessarily inefficient to find them on the exchange.

In my brave new world it will South Barnsley and so on.

The cardinal direction should always be last so all places named for a local area are together in an alphabetical list.

I think that is generally the case with towns but not rural areas (eg East Wiltshire and South West Wiltshire)
    I would agree with that, except that Norfolk South West doesn’t scan as well. Norfolk south scans, as does Norfolk west, but not Norfolk South West. Well not to my ear anyway.

I would prefer your suggestion over the status quo though.

People already put the county name first unofficially much of the time.

So just make it official so they look better in a spreadsheet, and people can officially say it differently.
    I believe shire constituencies are "North West Barsetshire" and borough constituencies are "Borchester North West"
    And that's nonsense!
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,105
    Also where has all this Reform surge chatter come from all of a sudden? Is this like the “Susan Hall is winning in London” chatter? Do we actually have anything to suggest this rather than a couple of posts suggesting high turnout?
  • Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

Patrick O'Flynn
    @oflynnsocial
    ·
    2h
    Take yer pick!

Or it is all three....

We shall see.
    Same point as the votes - the bands mean that's a misleading statement, and punters still (just) expect below 7. And still a sell.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,552
    Is it known whether the initial Farage surge boosted overall likelihood to vote, according to the polls?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,474

Also where has all this Reform surge chatter come from all of a sudden? Is this like the “Susan Hall is winning in London” chatter? Do we actually have anything to suggest this rather than a couple of posts suggesting high turnout?

I tend to agree, though I HOPE they do amazingly.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,418

Last edited
    ·
    Views

Leaking of the GE exit poll is the only capital crime left on the statute book.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 94,282
    edited July 4

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

TSE to host.

Hyufd doing the polls.

RCS doing the tech.

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

TSE to host.

Hyufd doing the polls.

RCS doing the tech.

I would be happy to watch up till 10.01pm when i will be having an early night
    At least stay up for Islington North!
  • Options

kle4 said:

SteveS said:

kle4 said:

SteveS said:

Well I hope whoever is PM, one of their first acts is to pass a law standardising the names of constituencies. Why is it South West Norfolk, but Barnsley South? Makes it unnecessarily inefficient to find them on the exchange.

The cardinal direction should always be last so all places named for a local area are together in an alphabetical list.

I think that is generally the case with towns but not rural areas (eg East Wiltshire and South West Wiltshire)
    I would agree with that, except that Norfolk South West doesn’t scan as well. Norfolk south scans, as does Norfolk west, but not Norfolk South West. Well not to my ear anyway.

So just make it official so they look better in a spreadsheet, and people can officially say it differently.
    I believe shire constituencies are "North West Barsetshire" and borough constituencies are "Borchester North West"
    Unsettling overlay of fictional worlds.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,883
    IanB2 said:

FPT

AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

This really could be the day the Tory party dies as a national party. Even now its quite hard to get one’s head around that.

Scary times.

I plan for the worst but hope for the best.

Which isn't ideal when you're trying to bet on this election.
    I’m 62. The Tories have completely dominated my adult life politically. There was the Blair intromission but he never really looked to change the status quo.

The idea that they might not be around anymore, like the SDP of my youth, is quite startling. Anything less than 120 and they are gone for good.
    When the old-style Liberal Party lost their 'last' election was it obvious at the time? I'm not up in GE history.
    Of the three factions into which the Liberal Party had split, each with a tranche of MPs, one allied with the Tories and kept its separate ‘National Liberal’ identity for a surprisingly long time (Michael Heseltine first stood as one) before eventually disappearing into the Tory party. The other two eventually got their act together, but found that the fast-moving history of the 1930s and 40s had passed them by, and the party only survived during and immediately after the war with a tiny handful of seats, and even some of those relied on pacts with other parties not standing against them.

The 1962 Orpington by-election win came out of the blue and was a small earthquake that set in train the long slow recovery, leading eventually to the opportunity and turmoil of the Labour split and the Alliance years. They were lucky in Grimond, Thorpe and Steel to have a series of dynamic capable leaders, despite the tiny size of the parliamentary party, each in their different way well suited to the emerging media age. Grimond laid the intellectual foundation for the recovery, making the party relevant for the times, and drawing into the party a lot of people who later became prominent, internally or externally. Thorpe was an excellent publicist who brought the party to wider attention (eventually in ways rather less helpful), and Steel was a solid leader with a good media persona and the judgement to lay the foundations for the eventual merger that became the LibDems.
    Thanks, interesting. The first politician I was ever really aware of was David Penhaligon.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,820

Leon said:

Patrick O'Flynn
    @oflynnsocial
    ·
    2h
    Take yer pick!

Or it is all three....
    Turnout was startling across Didcot and Wallingford today - long queues of voters at some places and steady polling all day, Unlikely to be a Reform surge, no Tories at polling stations anywhere (and no Tory posters either - and this is supposed to be a safe Tory seat) and Labour actively discouraged local members (switching off access to the polling data), so I think it's a LibDem surge. The LibDem campaign was almost exclusively air war, with leaflets arriving several times a week - interesting if that works.
    That is interesting at many levels.
  • Options

We're at the "wild speculation and animal spirits" stage of this election. All good fun.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

SteveS said:

kle4 said:

SteveS said:

And that's nonsense!
    Absolutely.

Everyone knows it's Barchester North West.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Last edited
    ·
    Views

Leaking of the GE exit poll is the only capital crime left on the statute book.
    If it’s anything it’s likely to be reports from the tellers. She is well connected but this prediction isn’t really news.
  • Options
    ChristopherChristopher Posts: 91
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Patrick O'Flynn
    @oflynnsocial
    ·
    2h
    Take yer pick!

Or it is all three....

We shall see.
    Indeed. The markets got it far more wrong than the polls on both those occasions.
    Agreed exvept there was no exit poll for the eu referendum so the markets had nothing to go by.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 437
    I feel physically sick.

Is this how left wingers felt the last few elections?
  • Options

kle4 said:

SteveS said:

kle4 said:

SteveS said:

Unsettling overlay of fictional worlds.
    Great crossover potential! 🤔
  • Options
    Bugger.

I've just done a Leon and spilled wine all over myself.
  • Options

On the Exit Poll, if it’s all completed by early afternoon, how can they know the daytime voting cohort is representative of voters as a whole?

They’re already missing postal voters but evening voters too?

Whatever model underlies the exit poll (which IIRC has been done by the same people since 2005) must have worked successfully on previous occasions using such data.

Going to the same geographical locations each time minimises the probability of error when computing all the swings, too.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,418

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Patrick O'Flynn
    @oflynnsocial
    ·
    2h
    Take yer pick!

Or it is all three....

We shall see.
    Agreed exvept there was no exit poll for the eu referendum so the markets had nothing to go by.
    And we don't yet have one for the GE...
  • Options
    MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 1,048
    This video is sponsored by Gunn & Moore GM Cricket Protective Abdominal Guard, Professional Player.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,339

QTWAIN.

A fool and their money are easily parted.
    That's what this forum is all about

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,969
    Had my election day dinner ( my special chilli con cane with red peppers rather than tomatoes) and started on a bottle of Argentinian red. Will I need more?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,176
    Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

TSE to host.

Hyufd doing the polls.

RCS doing the tech.

Leon the roving reporter, clearly a bit sozzled and trying to be down with the youth at whatever gathering he's reporting from
    Can I bagsy drawing some maps?

I'm crap at writing but I've wondered if some random GIS output might make the odd article, from transport to other sillyness like 'distance to the nearest Waitrose'.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Of course, if the whole country is a sea of red, there's not going to be much scope for any geographical amusements...
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,963

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Patrick O'Flynn
    @oflynnsocial
    ·
    2h
    Take yer pick!

Or it is all three....

We shall see.
    The markets have no access to the exit poll today either.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,468
    Has Nigel conceded yet? 😂
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,523
    Today, I took part in an exit poll.

For Yonder, formerly known as Populus.
  • Options
    Nunu5 said:

I feel physically sick.

It's quite relaxing to find I now longer give a fuck which bunch of fifth rate drunken buffoons will work with the Civil Service to completely misunderstand the problems we face and make them worse by their inept if sometimes well-intentioned meddling.

It would be nice to see the Toad Faced One lose in Clacton though.
  • Options
    bobbobbobbob Posts: 78
    OK so I’m looking at some old election data

To me it looks like voters whose “first” election was 1997 or after (born 1975 onwards) seem to consistently vote Conservative less than those older than them

The Tory voter age difference comes up a lot but not sure I’ve seen it mentioned how well it seems to line up with 1997

Can’t be bothered to speculate why but makes you wonder if it’s still possible for the blues to reach out to them and what that would look like

I don’t think it’s labour loyalty either as that seems to ebb and flow a bit more
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 55,110
    carnforth said:

I have to be up early tomorrow, so have just demolished a Cantonese meal and am working on some mispriced old Rioja. Might stay up for first few results. Wish list:

Conservatives to survive to be official opposition
    SNP to get smashed
    Corbyn to lose
    Galloway to lose
    Farage to lose
    Starmer to turn out to be a decent prime minister

I have good news and bad news.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,688
    edited July 4
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

I think it is time to give some serious credit to @Heathener. She saw this coming a long time before anyone else and for a long time was a lonely and somewhat mocked figure. I may well have even expressed some incredulity myself.

And yet, here we are, just over 2 hours before the exit poll and we are all @Heatheners now.

Saw what coming? We don't know what is coming!
    i don't wish to take any credit from @Heathener but was she really first in predicting a Tory wipe out? If so, fair enough, and she should take a bow

My applause would go to the PBer who said "Hartlepool is Peak Tory, all downhill from here", was it @Foxy? Someone else?

Anyway they were bang on. Kudos
    Heathener has undoubtedly been the most consistent poster calling Torymageddon from way out. She also rightly noted that 2019 was a distorted baseline. But a few of us were on the bus with her. It’s been obvious for a while that Brexit has gone down very badly in the home counties.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Last edited
    ·
    Views

I would bet the house on Sarah Vine knowing precisely nothing.

It’s not exactly hard for someone to predict a big Labour majority is it?
    She looks spectacularly stupid all the time.
    FTFY
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 578
    If you are confident that Reform won’t do much, you can lay ‘7 or more’ Reform seats at 1.97

Which if you’re convinced they’re only winning 3 or 4 at best, is stonking value.

Me personally, I will not be taking it, since I think they might actually do surprisingly well and pick up 10-15 seats.

• Options

Last edited
    ·
    Views

Another attention seeker...
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,269
    Actually, its only a Portillo Moment if it comes from the Portilleux region in France otherwise its just sparkling seat loss

https://x.com/softleftlabour/status/1808844796116582743?s=46
  • Options

If you are confident that Reform won’t do much, you can lay ‘7 or more’ Reform seats at 1.97

Which if you’re convinced they’re only winning 3 or 4 at best, is stonking value.

Me personally, I will not be taking it, since I think they might actually do surprisingly well and pick up 10-15 seats.

I think the value is at the edges: 10+ and 0-2.
  • Options
    edited July 4
    On the day before Farage announced he was returning, I managed to lay 0 reform seats, for evens.

0 reform seats is now 26 on Betfair.

Huge, huge turnaround. And I remember many in May and early June were tipping Reform 0 seats as value - I really hope some of you aren’t very exposed on it if so
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,332
    Cookie said:

Selebian said:

ITV were really good last time, aside from Peston.
    Problem is in Scotland we get STV which is strictly amateur hour. I remember the last time we got the UK ITV on the internet and put it on the TV. It was excellent. Tonight I am stuck in an hotel in Glasgow so BBC it will probably have to be.
  • Options

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

TSE to host.

Hyufd doing the polls.

RCS doing the tech.

Leon the roving reporter, clearly a bit sozzled and trying to be down with the youth at whatever gathering he's reporting from

I'm crap at writing but I've wondered if some random GIS output might make the odd article, from transport to other sillyness like 'distance to the nearest Waitrose'.

Of course, if the whole country is a sea of red, there's not going to be much scope for any geographical amusements...
    I would like there to be a map like the ones on 70s and 80s weather forecasts, with the magnetic shapes that don't always quite stick properly. And there would be a complete set of shapes in all possible party colours for all possible constituencies, which would be put in place as the results came in.

Scenes.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,088
    On much more important matters, my golf lesson this evening seems to have resolved my short putt pull to the left miss which was costing my handicap plenty.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Last edited
    ·
    Views

I would bet the house on Sarah Vine knowing precisely nothing.

It’s not exactly hard for someone to predict a big Labour majority is it?
    She could look spectacularly stupid in about 100 minutes time.

Mind you, she married Michael Gove, so maybe that ship has sailed.
    Larry says "miaow".... I guess thats a yes from him then.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 1,012

My question too. I'm nibbling bets against Reform in the feeling that it's jitters/hopes from those without info.

Small nibbles, mind.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,637

And your answer was 100% for 'Mind your own business you nosy bastard'. ;)
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,678

Fair question. It is hard to see where any reliable information might come from. Tellers for other parties, perhaps, or a misguided Tory GOTV operation (and let's face it, they've got everything else wrong so it fits the pattern) but it is more likely just recirculated rumours.
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 479
    GIN1138 said:

Last edited
    ·
    Views

"I'm hearing MAHOOSIVE groups of bears defecating in heavily wooded areas"
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,490
    So from passing two polling stations earlier, I would describe turnout as "Slow". Highlight was a spaniel heading down to cast a ballot (or cock a leg) at our local church.

My Millennial colleague was planning on voting after work, as was my barber. Apparently there was a queue to vote in his village this morning.

Tempting fate, I have placed a bottle of fizz in the fridge.
  • Options
    edited July 4

Leon said:

DavidL said:

I think it is time to give some serious credit to @Heathener. She saw this coming a long time before anyone else and for a long time was a lonely and somewhat mocked figure. I may well have even expressed some incredulity myself.

And yet, here we are, just over 2 hours before the exit poll and we are all @Heatheners now.

Saw what coming? We don't know what is coming!
    i don't wish to take any credit from @Heathener but was she really first in predicting a Tory wipe out? If so, fair enough, and she should take a bow

My applause would go to the PBer who said "Hartlepool is Peak Tory, all downhill from here", was it @Foxy? Someone else?

Anyway they were bang on. Kudos
    Heathener has undoubtedly been the most consistent poster calling Torymageddon from way out. She also rightly noted that 2019 was a distorted baseline. But a few of us were on the bus with her. It’s been obvious for a while that Brexit has gone down very badly in the home counties.
    Every government elected before 2022 is unpopular, pretty much anywhere in the world, as their populations have had to deal with wages rising meaningfully less than prices.

Those elected since have at least been able to blame their predecessors.
  • Options
    In response to Ms Vine

Northern Lass
    @northerness
    How are you hearing that when it's a criminal offence to release or publish statements on exit polls - or that can be interpreted to be based on exit polls or actual polling station voting - prior to 10pm.

This is just gossip from friends or online chatter then?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,062
    It must be possible to leak the exit poll, no?

It has to go from Professor Curtice’s team to the news broadcasters who, in turn, have to prepare their presentations.

Someone in the chain might have the potential to leak it?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,293

Its speculation! But it goes like this:
    Item: a surge in voting at teatime
    Hypothesis: must be people coming home from work
    Scenarios:
    1) Its the undecided flocking Tory at the last minute
    2) Its the tactical voters who have been waiting to see which way their seat is swaying before deciding
    3) Its White van man coming home and rushing out to vote for Nigel

And then applying rationale as to what it may be. Would be surprised if its 1)
  • Options

A Consignia level of rebrand genius
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 1,012
    Nunu5 said:

I feel physically sick.

Real left-wingers have felt that since at least the 80s. We've got used to it by now (or gone all horshoey and become anti-democratic fascists).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cookie said:

Selebian said:

ITV were really good last time, aside from Peston.
    Problem is in Scotland we get STV which is strictly amateur hour. I remember the last time we got the UK ITV on the internet and put it on the TV. It was excellent. Tonight I am stuck in an hotel in Glasgow so BBC it will probably have to be.
    They have STV in Northern Ireland as well, and I think it's a much better system than FPTP.

Oh, the TV station? Try ITV player.
  • Options
    maxh said:

My question too. I'm nibbling bets against Reform in the feeling that it's jitters/hopes from those without info.

Small nibbles, mind.
    if they are double figures in seats, they are going to be a very strong second in votes... I think I am a bit sceptical about that.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,057
    pigeon said:

Selebian said:

ydoethur said:

Selebian said:

TSE to host.

Hyufd doing the polls.

RCS doing the tech.

I would like there to be a map like the ones on 70s and 80s weather forecasts, with the magnetic shapes that don't always quite stick properly. And there would be a complete set of shapes in all possible party colours for all possible constituencies, which would be put in place as the results came in.

Scenes.
    I'd go for a ww2 fighter-command room affair.
  • Options
    tyson said:

On much more important matters, my golf lesson this evening seems to have resolved my short putt pull to the left miss which was costing my handicap plenty.

I had a golf lesson this morning! I’ve only just started and having conquered all the par-3 courses East Kent has to offer I was working on my driver to take the step up to big boy golf.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,963
    edited July 4

GIN1138 said:

Last edited
    ·
    Views

"I'm hearing the Bishop of Rome is Apostolic."
  • Options
    Heathener said:

It must be possible to leak the exit poll, no?

It has to go from Professor Curtice’s team to the news broadcasters who, in turn, have to prepare their presentations.

Someone in the chain might have the potential to leak it?

I think I remember reading that the broadcasters/presenters don't get told from Curtice until about five, ten minutes before going on air.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,829
    I’m making no assumptions until the exit poll. I’m not sure what actual new evidence has emerged to change opinion from yesterday or the day before.

Lots of anecdote, lots of gambling, lots of ‘I’m hearing’ - but I don’t see evidence.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

tyson said:

I had a golf lesson this morning! I’ve only just started and having conquered all the par-3 courses East Kent has to offer I was working on my driver to take the step up to big boy golf.
    Are you extending his duties so he will caddy for you?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Last edited
    ·
    Views

"I'm hearing the Bishop of Rome is Apostolic."
    Is that because he has money on Tories largest party?
  • Options
    I’m seeing lots of movement towards the Lib Dems and Reform on the Exchange. Almost certainly just noise though
  • Options
    edited July 4
    GIN1138 said:

In response to Ms Vine

Northern Lass
    @northerness
    How are you hearing that when it's a criminal offence to release or publish statements on exit polls - or that can be interpreted to be based on exit polls or actual polling station voting - prior to 10pm.

In fairness to Vine (and I hate to be fair to her but will just this once) I don't think she claimed to be publishing an exit poll. To the extent it's based on anything, it'll be Tory friends glumly telling her it's been a tough day in normally safe seats.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,528
    AnneJGP said:

IanB2 said:

FPT

AnneJGP said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

This really could be the day the Tory party dies as a national party. Even now its quite hard to get one’s head around that.

Scary times.

I plan for the worst but hope for the best.

Which isn't ideal when you're trying to bet on this election.
    I’m 62. The Tories have completely dominated my adult life politically. There was the Blair intromission but he never really looked to change the status quo.

The idea that they might not be around anymore, like the SDP of my youth, is quite startling. Anything less than 120 and they are gone for good.
    When the old-style Liberal Party lost their 'last' election was it obvious at the time? I'm not up in GE history.
    Of the three factions into which the Liberal Party had split, each with a tranche of MPs, one allied with the Tories and kept its separate ‘National Liberal’ identity for a surprisingly long time (Michael Heseltine first stood as one) before eventually disappearing into the Tory party. The other two eventually got their act together, but found that the fast-moving history of the 1930s and 40s had passed them by, and the party only survived during and immediately after the war with a tiny handful of seats, and even some of those relied on pacts with other parties not standing against them.

The 1962 Orpington by-election win came out of the blue and was a small earthquake that set in train the long slow recovery, leading eventually to the opportunity and turmoil of the Labour split and the Alliance years. They were lucky in Grimond, Thorpe and Steel to have a series of dynamic capable leaders, despite the tiny size of the parliamentary party, each in their different way well suited to the emerging media age. Grimond laid the intellectual foundation for the recovery, making the party relevant for the times, and drawing into the party a lot of people who later became prominent, internally or externally. Thorpe was an excellent publicist who brought the party to wider attention (eventually in ways rather less helpful), and Steel was a solid leader with a good media persona and the judgement to lay the foundations for the eventual merger that became the LibDems.
    Thanks, interesting. The first politician I was ever really aware of was David Penhaligon.
    A very sad loss.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

tyson said:

I see what you did there
  • Options
    ManchesterKurtManchesterKurt Posts: 913
    Cookie said:

One image of the day: my view on the way to the polling station. @ManchesterKurt may know where I am!

You are abut 300m from my house, go over the bridge, houses on the right after the offices opposite Waverley Rd.

You would probably recognise me.

I don't own a car and walk Dane Rd a lot on my way to Chorlton Golf Club, always wearing shorts, normally a bucket hat or sometimes a Santa Hat, no matter what the time of year.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

In response to Ms Vine

Northern Lass
    @northerness

In fairness to Vine (and I hate to be fair to her but will just this once) I don't think she claimed to be publishing an exit poll. To the extent it's based on anything, it'll be Tory friends glumly telling her it's been a tough day in normally safe seats.
    I think that’s right. She remains well connected.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

tyson said:

I see what you did there
    Bit of a case of chauffeur so good.
  • Options
    Just sold LDs at 62 on Spreadex.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 50,487
    SMukesh said:

Reading the site, it feels like I have called every bet wrong except Farage winning in Clacton :-(

Welcome back. Nice to see some old names returning. It's like a Gathering of the Clans: General Election Night on PB

Old friends are reunited, ancient enemies leave their guns at the door and embrace, long estranged brothers share a horn of mead as they wait for the exit poll
  • Options
    MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 1,048
    I have just heard that several people I know are voting Reform. The last people I would have expected to. Fuck me.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Just sold LDs at 62 on Spreadex.

And sold Reform at 18.4%.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,829
    8:30. The Moka pot is ready. The six cup.
  • Options

I have just heard that several people I know are voting Reform. The last people I would have expected to. Fuck me.

Well, I could be about to lose badly on selling Reform at 18.4% then :smiley:
  • Options

Its speculation! But it goes like this:
    Item: a surge in voting at teatime
    Hypothesis: must be people coming home from work
    Scenarios:
    1) Its the undecided flocking Tory at the last minute
    2) Its the tactical voters who have been waiting to see which way their seat is swaying before deciding
    3) Its White van man coming home and rushing out to vote for Nigel

And then applying rationale as to what it may be. Would be surprised if its 1)
    Since we're filling the time with pointless speculation, I have a theory.

Most Con voters, wavering or otherwise, are likely to be elderly, and they're not going to suddenly decide to go out en masse at teatime.

I therefore agree, it's not (1). Folk coming back from work will be joining the queue to kick the Tories while they're down, to make sure they stay there.
  • Options

Yes of course you have....
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,673
    edited July 4
    Okay, heading out. Not taking my own pencil.
This discussion has been closed.