Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s not getting any better for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,183
    Andy_JS said:

Has anyone seen the Tories' latest twitter post? It look like the sort of thing a 5 year old might post.

https://x.com/Conservatives/status/1805932619856548153

It's intentional. It's the same trick as doing half their campaign graphics in Comic Sans and bright purple last time round. It's so naff that people end up sharing it. If they'd just put out a message saying "Labour will increase your taxes by 15% year-on-year" on a blue background with a picture of Rishi Sunak, everyone would go "yeah yeah" and scroll on to the next tweet. Instead, here we are talking about it.
  • Options

The Bangladesh comments are a bit of an under the radar story, SKS has seriously upset the Bangladeshi community

It's bullshit, selective editing.
    https://x.com/ShehabKhan/status/1806028346280542437?s=19
    Damaging nonetheless
    Doubt it. Too late. Don't they have high postal ballot rates there so nearly everyone will have already voted.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,594
    Andy_JS said:

Starmer's send the planes back to Bangladesh comment is a bit unexpected to put it mildly.

https://x.com/ShehabKhan/status/1805957926432985334

Might make a few seats a little more interesting
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,789

ydoethur said:

Starmer says he doesn't want to ban politicians betting on politics.....I can see him quango-ing it up, some independent body where you have to register all the bets you have placed.

The Tote?
    No we have to have a new body with a £200k a year head and an ever expanding budget. Like the one for expenses, but for betting activity.
    No, you forgot the Richard Rogers inspired headquarters....

QC - "So, as head of the Political Gambling Registration Service, I'd like to ask you some questions.
    Head of PGRS - "You need to understand, that despite being paid 8 million a year, plus expenses, I had no knowledge of anything the PGRS has ever done."
    QC - "So the fact that Niggle Farrrrrago* put the entire national debt on the 3:15 at Kempton wasn't your responsibility?"
    Head of PGRS - "It is disgraceful to suggest that just because I was in charge of the legally responsible body, that I had anything to do with anything."

*Quite definitely not Nigel Farage
  • Options
    Oh TSE you are so pessimistic.

The glorious MIC and Norstat have come over the hill to the rescue showing the Cons with over 20% and as many as 100 or even 110 seats. The champagne corks are a-popping in No 10!
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,416
    Andy_JS said:

Starmer's send the planes back to Bangladesh comment is a bit unexpected to put it mildly.

Did he really say that?….
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,862

Farooq said:

Ok, just over a week to go, so time to start inking in your answers for the

General Election Competition

In how many seats will:
    1. Reform beat Conservative (don't count draws)?
    2. Labour finish 3rd or lower (don't count where they didn't stand)?
    3. Conservatives lose their deposit?
    4. Lib Dems lose their deposit?
    5. Reform lose their deposit?
    6. Labour lose their deposit?

How big:
    7. Will the largest winning vote margin be?
    8. Will the biggest notional majority defeated be (only count where the incumbent party stands)?

How small:
    9. Will the smallest winning vote margin be (1st - 2nd)?
    10. Will the smallest gap between 1st and 3rd be?
    11. Will the lowest number of votes for any candidate?

How many:
    12. Parties will be elected (whether or not they take their seats. All true independents are grouped as a single party)?
    13. Seats will the Conservatives win?
    14. Seats will Labour win?
    15. Seats will Lib Dems win?
    16. Seats will the SNP win?
    17. Seats will Sinn Fein win?
    18. Seats will DUP win?
    19. Seats will Reform come second in?

What percentage vote:
    20. Will Conservatives get across the UK?
    21. Will Reform get across the UK?
    22. Will SNP get in Scotland?
    23. Will be lowest of any winning candidate?
    24. Will be highest of any 2nd place candidate?
    25. Will Speaker get?

Rules:
    "Independent" means the candidate has no party affiliation or where the party is standing in a single seat.
    Candidates nominated for a party who are suspended by their party after nominations close still count for the party.
    "Green" treats the Green Parties in England & Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland as a single party.
    All entries must be made before midday on polling day, 4th July

Please tag @Farooq in your answers so I'm less likely to miss them.
    I'm going for 42.
    I think 41.9
    What colour is the cycle shed? :)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,138
    edited June 26
    Georgia score against Portugal inside 90 seconds!
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,097
    Cookie said:

Phil Foden is having his third child at the age of 24. Fair play to him in addressing thr demographic crisis - but it shows what can be done if you don't have to worry about bedrooms or childcare costs.

Kyle Walker has six kids, some less then 9 months apart ;)
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You don't have to be a Putin fan to accept that no one is going to evict him from the six counties oblasts (five in Ukraine plus Transdinistra) any time soon and an armistice with partition, then support to make it stick a la South Korea is better than continuing the slaughter and risking it escalating further, and being of the view that interfering in other countries affairs on sanctimonious moral grounds often disguising vested interests (Ukraine 2014, Libya 2011, Iraq 2003, Afghanistan 2003-2022, Iran 1953 ends up causing far worse problems than the ones they were intended to resolve.

Remember: invading is usually the easy part.

And it's the occupation that usually kills you.

Those Oblasts will be a constant resource drain on the Russian economy, in terms of men and material, and they will produce bugger all tax revenue.

And all the time, Russia will grow economically weaker. It is utterly dependent on energy exports, and it has completely fucked itself.
    And it is hard to consider but Putin will die. He might be like my dad and think he won't, but he will. And the world will be a better place.
    You are joking?

Whoever replaces Putin will be far worse (if we are lucky he might be less skilled at the art of politics (unless less skilled in the Kaiser Bill sense).

One reason Putin went in in 2022 was becsause it was a domestic issue big enough that he might have been vulnerable to hardliners if he didn't.
    And so we get closer to house in the Russia talking points bingo. “Whoever succeeds Putin will be worse!” Tell that to Ukrainians being subjected to all out war and the attempted obliteration of their country and culture.

Seriously, that is straight from the textbook. And if you follow the history of deposed or naturally dying tyrants, most of the time it’s bogus.

You can presumably point to some solid indications that if Putin falls, he will be replaced by a nice, moderate pro-Westerner? Or perhaps some case studies of other nasty dictators that the West has toppled recently leading to the establishment of a nice, pro-Western peace-loving democracy? Or do people just keep saying it because it's not a bad best guess?
    That’s Russia’s business, not Tim’s.
    Which was his point, if you didn’t get it.
    If we end up with Libya, except with nukes, that's everyone's business - that is everyone sane's point, in case you're struggling.
    Or 1930s Germany with Nukes.
    That's effectively what we have now you pillock. Putin's already tried his version of annexing the Sudatenland, only with more violence.
    No we don't. Putin is Ruthless, patient, Cold and Calculating. Hitler was a nutter liable to make crazy decisions in a fit of rage if crossed.

Hitler would probably have nuked Kiev after the Kerch Bridge was attacked.

Putin is a nutter too, who believes his own garbage and spin.

A calculating leader would never have made such a horrendous mistake as to invade Ukraine.
    All long term leaders suffer from too many people feeding them bullshit because they think that is what they want to hear.

In Russia, Ukrainan control of Crimea and Donbass (and the coast to Odesa and Kharkiv) is seen by many in the same light as Alsace-Lorraine was with France from 1870 to 1918, a historic monumental wrong crying out to heaven for venegance.

How many other countries are entitled to invade their neighbours to right a 'historic monumental wrong crying out to heaven for vengeance' ?
    Palestine
    We can probably invade france on those grounds
    Since when did we need any grounds to invade France?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,419
    TIL that Jeremy Kyle saw David Tenant's todger. Not what I was expecting to learn driving home but every day is a learning day they say
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,382

Cookie said:

Phil Foden is having his third child at the age of 24. Fair play to him in addressing thr demographic crisis - but it shows what can be done if you don't have to worry about bedrooms or childcare costs.

I note a hint of bitterness there. But your point is basically correct. Footballers wages were always obscene but at a time when much of the country us struggling they have become totally immoral. A maximum wage would be a good idea. And before any clown talks about the market there are always foreign billionaires willing to bail out football clubs so there is no market.
    I would trial a maximum wage for footballers in Scotland, just to fuck Rangers and Celtic and attempt to provide a more competitive league.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,128

sbjme19 said:

The 18 reform seats in the Mirror / Baxter MRP are:

Ashfield.
    Barnsley South
    Boston & Skegness.
    Broadland and Fakenham.
    Burton and Uttoxeter.
    Cannock Chase
    Clacton.
    Cotswold North.
    Fareham and Waterlooville.
    Gosport.
    Great Yarmouth.
    Huntington. (More Peas John. Oh Yes)
    Louth and Horncastle.
    Orpington.
    Plymouth Moor View.
    Skipton and Ripon.
    Suffolk South.
    Washington and Gateshead South.

Absolute drivel. Just to take one: The Cotswolds voted Remain, Libdems control the council and will be the challengers
    Strange 3 way and 4 way marginals can throw up weird outcomes…

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/calcwork23.py?seat=Cotswolds North

Looks like Baxter website updated? now has Cotswolds North going Reform
    That is beyond insane. Among the wards that it claims are voting Reform are Blockley, Chipping Campden, Stow-on-the-Wold, and Chedworth/Churn Valley.

For those who don't know the Cotswolds, this is roughly equivalent to Jaywick voting for the Rejoin EU party.

(Northleach, on the other hand, I could believe.)
    Have had another look at my own seat. This MRP claims that DRoss will finish in 3rd behind Labour. Remember that the Labour candidate isn't a Labour candidate and wasn't campaigning even before he was booted.

I mean, it would be piss funny if it happened, but come on...
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 509

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

Vanilla - the only thing in the known universe more useless than the Department for Education.

I disagree. The Perl programming language would give it a run for its money. The only "write once, never edit" language known.
    Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister it stands for
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,203

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

Vanilla - the only thing in the known universe more useless than the Department for Education.

I disagree. The Perl programming language would give it a run for its money. The only "write once, never edit" language known.
    Perl was write once, make sure it works and then never ever go near it again.

I remember a Perl expert writing what should have been a 200 line script in a single completely and utterly unreadable line, assembler was easier to read and follow...
  • Options

Mr £8k will be getting suspended shortly and that is tomorrow's media...particularly that it is a real serious amount, not the £5-20 that Jack was betting.

Que?
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,808

Cookie said:

Kyle Walker has six kids, some less then 9 months apart ;)
    If he keeps this up he could be a future Tory PM. He’s got the bumbling inarticulation and he’s on the right wing. Closing in on the kids by different mothers ratio. And he’s going to be involved in taking us out of Europe.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,064

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister it stands for
    :D:D That makes more sense than all of the Perl programs I ever came across
  • Options

sbjme19 said:

The 18 reform seats in the Mirror / Baxter MRP are:

Ashfield.
    Barnsley South
    Boston & Skegness.
    Broadland and Fakenham.
    Burton and Uttoxeter.
    Cannock Chase
    Clacton.
    Cotswold North.
    Fareham and Waterlooville.
    Gosport.
    Great Yarmouth.
    Huntington. (More Peas John. Oh Yes)
    Louth and Horncastle.
    Orpington.
    Plymouth Moor View.
    Skipton and Ripon.
    Suffolk South.
    Washington and Gateshead South.

Absolute drivel. Just to take one: The Cotswolds voted Remain, Libdems control the council and will be the challengers
    Strange 3 way and 4 way marginals can throw up weird outcomes…

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/calcwork23.py?seat=Cotswolds North

Looks like Baxter website updated? now has Cotswolds North going Reform
    That is beyond insane. Among the wards that it claims are voting Reform are Blockley, Chipping Campden, Stow-on-the-Wold, and Chedworth/Churn Valley.

For those who don't know the Cotswolds, this is roughly equivalent to Jaywick voting for the Rejoin EU party.

(Northleach, on the other hand, I could believe.)
    Have had another look at my own seat. This MRP claims that DRoss will finish in 3rd behind Labour. Remember that the Labour candidate isn't a Labour candidate and wasn't campaigning even before he was booted.

I mean, it would be piss funny if it happened, but come on...
    MRPs don't 'do' Scotland it seems
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,996

Good time to bet on Portugal winning the match.
  • Options
    GrandcanyonGrandcanyon Posts: 105

On a new Russian leader after Putin:

Yes, a replacement for Putin may be 'worse' for Ukraine and the west than Putin. He may be more competent, more liable to press the big red button, whatever.

That's a concern. Or a replacement might be 'better' for us; one more willing to work with us, to turn Russia back into a civilised nation.

Russia's in a pickle. Any new leader would be insecure at first, and will want to secure his position. He could do this by continuing Putin's agenda and winning in Ukraine (difficult), or he could do this by ending the war however he can.

And my point is this: Putin has painted himself into a corner. He has said a load of shite to the Russian public, and although he can do minor changes, any major ones - like a retreat from Ukraine - would mean the end of his premiership and, by extension, his life.

An successor may well have more latitude to find an accommodation with Ukraine that Putin could not. He would be, to a certain extent, a fresh sheet. Even if he is also a fresh shit as well.

My view, having previously lived in Russia and worked with Russians for many years, is that Russia as a society is totally poisoned by nationalism, imperialism and victim complex, and won't get out of this short of a postwar-Germany-style transformation of how the country thinks. Even a light interrogation of the most liberal Muscovite will result in 'yeah but NATO yeah but America took our credit for WWII' after a bit. With this in mind, a new leader would change precisely bollock
    I think the ww2 point is a legitimate one. The russians did much of the heavy lifting during ww2 with deccisive battles at Stalingrad and Kursk and certainly dont get the credit for it in the west.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You don't have to be a Putin fan to accept that no one is going to evict him from the six counties oblasts (five in Ukraine plus Transdinistra) any time soon and an armistice with partition, then support to make it stick a la South Korea is better than continuing the slaughter and risking it escalating further, and being of the view that interfering in other countries affairs on sanctimonious moral grounds often disguising vested interests (Ukraine 2014, Libya 2011, Iraq 2003, Afghanistan 2003-2022, Iran 1953 ends up causing far worse problems than the ones they were intended to resolve.

Those Oblasts will be a constant resource drain on the Russian economy, in terms of men and material, and they will produce bugger all tax revenue.

And all the time, Russia will grow economically weaker. It is utterly dependent on energy exports, and it has completely fucked itself.
    And it is hard to consider but Putin will die. He might be like my dad and think he won't, but he will. And the world will be a better place.
    You are joking?

Whoever replaces Putin will be far worse (if we are lucky he might be less skilled at the art of politics (unless less skilled in the Kaiser Bill sense).

One reason Putin went in in 2022 was becsause it was a domestic issue big enough that he might have been vulnerable to hardliners if he didn't.
    And so we get closer to house in the Russia talking points bingo. “Whoever succeeds Putin will be worse!” Tell that to Ukrainians being subjected to all out war and the attempted obliteration of their country and culture.

Seriously, that is straight from the textbook. And if you follow the history of deposed or naturally dying tyrants, most of the time it’s bogus.

You can presumably point to some solid indications that if Putin falls, he will be replaced by a nice, moderate pro-Westerner? Or perhaps some case studies of other nasty dictators that the West has toppled recently leading to the establishment of a nice, pro-Western peace-loving democracy? Or do people just keep saying it because it's not a bad best guess?
    If we end up with Libya, except with nukes, that's everyone's business - that is everyone sane's point, in case you're struggling.
    That's effectively what we have now you pillock. Putin's already tried his version of annexing the Sudatenland, only with more violence.
    No we don't. Putin is Ruthless, patient, Cold and Calculating. Hitler was a nutter liable to make crazy decisions in a fit of rage if crossed.

A calculating leader would never have made such a horrendous mistake as to invade Ukraine.
    All long term leaders suffer from too many people feeding them bullshit because they think that is what they want to hear.

In Russia, Ukrainan control of Crimea and Donbass (and the coast to Odesa and Kharkiv is seen by many in the same light as Alsace-Lorraine was with France from 1870 to 1918, a historic monumental wrong crying out to heaven for venegance.

Putin never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity. He has by his actions created a Ukranian nationalist consciousness in places that never had it before, and earned the permanent opposition of Russian speaking Ukranians.

In very much the same way that British actions over the 1916 Easter rising and the Black and Tans created Nationalist Ireland.
    But doubled down in the six Oblasts Counties.

Its going to end up with Ulster type partition.

And yes just as much strong feelings on both sides of that partition.

Thats just reality.
    It's hard to tell, for obvious reasons, but I doubt that pro-Russian sentiment in Russian-occupied Ukraine is as strong as pro-British sentiment in Northern Ireland.
    Crimea 100% certain pro russian. Think county Down or Antrim if the inhabitants of West Belfast had been sent packing at partition

Donetsk/Luhansk - Londonderry/Armagh - except the Russians don't control the "Bogside" and "South Armagh"

The halves of Zaporizhzhia (without) and Kherson (wjthout) they have. Think Tyrone and Fermanagh. Majority "Republican" but hung on to make the place viable (and land bridge to Crimea).

These are results that you are looking for. Every single oblast voted for independence in 1991 it wasn't even close anywhere but crimea.

So might every county of Ireland if one had been arranged by the victorious Germans in the aftermath of UK losing World War 1, and subsequent economic the collapse, with the collapse of healthcare, abrupt ending of welfare and pensions etc etc.

Putinbot 1 on full nonsense whataboutism today I see.
    I'm a Putin not now am I. I was a CCHQ bot last week according to some here.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,245
    Andy_JS said:

Thanks Andy. I'm changing my vote that is disgusting.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 653
    biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

He was asked about illegal immigration. The problem is that there's a different version of the clip, which is edited, has the order he said things mixed up, and has any context about illegal immigration being taken out.

That appears to be the one being shared, and it gives the impression he's talking generally about sending people back to Bangladesh, which is why it's causing such a fuss.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Good time to bet on Portugal winning the match.
    Helps England again. Honestly Southgate and his easy draws.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,344
    eek said:

Another crazy
    @MrHarryCole
    exclusive: The Sun can reveal a top Tory is accused placed a £8,000 bet on himself to lose his seat on July 4.

Sir Philip Davies is said to have wagered he will not hold his Shipley constituency

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/28772956/cops-take-over-betting-scandal-probe/

I didn't realise he was actually married to Esther Mcvey. Doing quite well for himself there.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,138

boulay said:

eek said:

Another crazy
    @MrHarryCole
    exclusive: The Sun can reveal a top Tory is accused placed a £8,000 bet on himself to lose his seat on July 4.

Sir Philip Davies is said to have wagered he will not hold his Shipley constituency

This general election campaign has broken me.

I might need a six week holiday after July 5th.
    Why don’t you put a bet on who will be running PB from July 6th. Seems to be all the rage.
    I am going to approach Big John Owls and ask him to edit PB.

I am sure he will love editing PB writing threads on Starmer's mahoosive majority.
    BJO's First Thread:

"Who cares about SKS's 300-seat majority? The bastard failed to beat the 12.9 m votes the sainted Jeremy achieved in 2017!"
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,307

Andy_JS said:

He’s basically saying we shouldn’t send them to Rwanda but instead send them back to where they came from.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

Are these people like eight years old???

What would go up during a Labour government? Tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax...

(The word tax is then repeated about 200 times)

On this, they're right.

Labour will be a socialist government and they're about to shit right in your lunch.
    It's a turnoff for you but the rest of us realise are paying socialist levels of tax with libertarian levels of public service. If we're going to pay we may as well try the real thing. That's why you're losing. Oh, and the fact that from Neil Hamilton to Michelle Mone the Conservative Party has shown for 30 years that it would be prosecuted under the RICO Act if it were incorporated in the USA.
    Fucking pathetic.

Scrutinise the challenger.
    Shall we start with the IFS who saying there is an £18bn hole created by Hunt that needs to be filled. How are the Tory party going to actually do that?
    Challenge YOUR LOT. Labour.

*L-a-b-o-u-r*

I'm sick and tired of zero scrutiny being applied to their bullshit this campaign. It's a complete dereliction of duty by the press and the curious voter.

They are going to waltz into office without any questioning whatsoever.

If you don't put them on the spot you can't make any complaints whatsoever about what they subsequently do in office. Because you didn't give a shit.
    You are pathetic. Are you saying that no-one in the country except you has interrogated the Labour manifesto? Seriously? Do you have so little faith in the electorate? You have to realise that you have failed and there is a better option on the table.
    Doug, I'd be amazed if more than one person in a hundred has scrutinised a manifesto of any colour.
    (puts hand up)

Some nice person (I forget whom) put up the main points on this very board. I was very bored. :)
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 461
    edited June 26
    A sporting, non political tip for you lot.

Austria to win the Euros is currently trading at around 19. It’s been steadily falling all day from 25 this morning, as people realise that they’ve got a potentially easy route (Turkey and then maybe Romania) to the Semis…where they might face England…who don’t look great themselves currently.

As a trading bet, I expect it to fall further once tonight’s fixtures have concluded, and the hype around Austria’s path goes more and more viral on social media - because we will have the usual images of the full bracket of knockouts - which we don’t have now.

You could cash out tomorrow for a good profit, I think, and then decide to let some run / keep a fraction as you see fit.

They have a pressing style which will be helped by the fact they get a full week off between Tuesday and next Tuesday. More time to rest, whereas teams like England get 2 days fewer rest.
  • Options

eek said:

Another crazy
    @MrHarryCole

Impressive he managed to get that much money on.

The Sun last night, Sir Philip said, “What’s it go to do with you whether I did or didn’t” place the bet. He added: “I hope to win. I'm busting a gut to win. I expect to lose. In the 2005 election, I busted a gut to win. I expected to lose. I had a bet on myself to lose in the 2005 election, and my bet went down the pan."

That ok that you did it before and lost.....hmmm....do these people not do any PR training?
    Its an insurance policy. If he loses his job he gets the payout.

Same as betting on your wife having twins (I knew someone who did that - and won). If you win the bet you get some money to help with the consequence.

Nearly all of us place a bet at long odds that our house will catch fire, after all.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You are joking?

In Russia, Ukrainan control of Crimea and Donbass (and the coast to Odesa and Kharkiv) is seen by many in the same light as Alsace-Lorraine was with France from 1870 to 1918, a historic monumental wrong crying out to heaven for venegance.

How many other countries are entitled to invade their neighbours to right a 'historic monumental wrong crying out to heaven for vengeance' ?
    Palestine
    The Treaty of Troyes is all the legal grounds you could want.
    All you really have to do is is say you disagree with the last 100 years of developments in international law, resign from the UN, and claim right of conquest. One for the next Reform manifesto.
    But "Feels Nationalism" trumps all of the stuff you mention.

"historic monumental wrong crying out to heaven for vengeance".

"It's The Iron Law Of Nations" - Houston Stewart Chamberlin, probably
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,416

Andy_JS said:

He’s basically saying we shouldn’t send them to Rwanda but instead send them back to where they came from.
    Five weeks meeting the British public and he’s Alf Garnett?!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,996
    nova said:

biggles said:

Andy_JS said:

He was asked about illegal immigration. The problem is that there's a different version of the clip, which is edited, has the order he said things mixed up, and has any context about illegal immigration being taken out.

That appears to be the one being shared, and it gives the impression he's talking generally about sending people back to Bangladesh, which is why it's causing such a fuss.
    I thought it was an AI fake to begin with.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Starmer says he doesn't want to ban politicians betting on politics.....I can see him quango-ing it up, some independent body where you have to register all the bets you have placed.

The Tote?
    MINIWIN which dealt with losing
    OFCOURSE. Of course. :)
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 296

The Bangladesh comments are a bit of an under the radar story, SKS has seriously upset the Bangladeshi community

Jonathan Ashworth oth..

https://x.com/Taj_Ali1/status/1806032200615502207
    Oh so Keirs comments seem planned
    Couldn't say Pakistan because there are too many British Pakistani's in swing seats. Bangladesh is safe as they are fewer of them and concentrated in safer seats. Are they seeing a drift to reform?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,376
    The LDs doing a PPB on Davey’s life story.
  • Options
    Picking Bangladesh to make a point is very stupid, regardless of how things have been edited, there's a large Bangladeshi community in the UK, especially in areas Labour is already starting to struggle - East London, Birmingham etc
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,064
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

I remember a Perl expert writing what should have been a 200 line script in a single completely and utterly unreadable line, assembler was easier to read and follow...
    It was a thing amongst Perl programmers. They took a perverse delight in writing unreadable code.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You are joking?

Palestine
    All you really have to do is is say you disagree with the last 100 years of developments in international law, resign from the UN, and claim right of conquest. One for the next Reform manifesto.
    No need to resign from the UN when you are a peemanent member of the Security Council with a veto.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,390

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Are these people like eight years old???

What would go up during a Labour government? Tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax...

(The word tax is then repeated about 200 times)

On this, they're right.

Labour will be a socialist government and they're about to shit right in your lunch.
    It's a turnoff for you but the rest of us realise are paying socialist levels of tax with libertarian levels of public service. If we're going to pay we may as well try the real thing. That's why you're losing. Oh, and the fact that from Neil Hamilton to Michelle Mone the Conservative Party has shown for 30 years that it would be prosecuted under the RICO Act if it were incorporated in the USA.
    Fucking pathetic.

Scrutinise the challenger.
    I've scrutinised the challenger against the incumbent.

The incumbent loses on every single metric.

Your party has given me no reason to vote for it. It has given me several, very personal, reasons to want to bury it 12 feet in the ground.
    Then, that's an OTT emotional and illogical reaction.

And, you'll pay for it.
    I just want to be left alone by the government but the blues keep sticking their nose in.
    I've got news for you mate: if that's what you want you're voting for the wrong team.
    I have news too. Countries have to live with their history. Being left alone by government disappeared as an option some time ago. Once systems are in place basically giving government oversight and financial accountability for health, welfare, social care, education, safety nets, pensions, economic policy, equality, levelling up, ag and fish, regulation, health and safety, social policy, child care, transport, utilities and trade policy then non-interfering government is not an option.

We are about 150 years down that particular track. A serious party whose fundamental policy was based on: individual responsibility, caveat emptor, laisser faire, the family unit as the power centre, minimal government engagement and financial responsibility would be fascinating. It won't happen in my lifetime. probably never.
  • Options

Yes, a replacement for Putin may be 'worse' for Ukraine and the west than Putin. He may be more competent, more liable to press the big red button, whatever.

That's a concern. Or a replacement might be 'better' for us; one more willing to work with us, to turn Russia back into a civilised nation.

Russia's in a pickle. Any new leader would be insecure at first, and will want to secure his position. He could do this by continuing Putin's agenda and winning in Ukraine (difficult), or he could do this by ending the war however he can.

And my point is this: Putin has painted himself into a corner. He has said a load of shite to the Russian public, and although he can do minor changes, any major ones - like a retreat from Ukraine - would mean the end of his premiership and, by extension, his life.

An successor may well have more latitude to find an accommodation with Ukraine that Putin could not. He would be, to a certain extent, a fresh sheet. Even if he is also a fresh shit as well.

My view, having previously lived in Russia and worked with Russians for many years, is that Russia as a society is totally poisoned by nationalism, imperialism and victim complex, and won't get out of this short of a postwar-Germany-style transformation of how the country thinks. Even a light interrogation of the most liberal Muscovite will result in 'yeah but NATO yeah but America took our credit for WWII' after a bit. With this in mind, a new leader would change precisely bollock
    I think the ww2 point is a legitimate one. The russians did much of the heavy lifting during ww2 with deccisive battles at Stalingrad and Kursk and certainly dont get the credit for it in the west.
    Stalingrad and Kursk are on the History Channel all the time.

What irks certain Russians is that the propaganda versions get dissected.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,142
    kinabalu said:

For instance off the top of my head, I’d say seats that are way more likely to go REF than many on that list (and, to be clear, this isn’t a prediction, just a “if Reform did get 18 seats”) positing:

- South Holland and the Deepings
    - Gainsborough
    - North West Norfolk
    - Maldon
    - Basildon and Billericay

Far, far more likely to fall than seats like Skipton & Ripon and Cotswold North!

I wouldn't be shocked if the Barnsley Doncaster part of South Yorkshire (where I'm from) returned at least one Reform MP.
    I think everything will revert to/remain as Labour, although there's been almost nil campaigning.

The Doncaster seat (or its new equivalent) that went to Nick Fletcher last time (previously Caroline Flint) has always contained Tory wards which aren't really going to vote Reform and I don't think there are enough of the Labour -> Boris -> Reform type switchers to make more than a minor dent.

Barnsley may be different.
  • Options

eek said:

Another crazy
    @MrHarryCole

Impressive he managed to get that much money on.

The Sun last night, Sir Philip said, “What’s it go to do with you whether I did or didn’t” place the bet. He added: “I hope to win. I'm busting a gut to win. I expect to lose. In the 2005 election, I busted a gut to win. I expected to lose. I had a bet on myself to lose in the 2005 election, and my bet went down the pan."

That ok that you did it before and lost.....hmmm....do these people not do any PR training?
    Its an insurance policy. If he loses his job he gets the payout.

Same as betting on your wife having twins (I knew someone who did that - and won). If you win the bet you get some money to help with the consequence.

Nearly all of us place a bet at long odds that our house will catch fire, after all.
    Which is why the Medieval Catholic Church viewed insurance (initially) as gambling.
  • Options
    LloydBanksLloydBanks Posts: 23

I completely agree, but the problem comes when this and other historical grievances are used to justify modern-day aggression
  • Options
    MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 726
    edited June 26

Andy_JS said:

Fuck Me its Enoch Starmer Smith.

Good ol Smithy..

More seriously, surely its an out of context clip. If not it is either in the same league as Gordon Browns bigoted woman off camera jibe or it is a none to subtle dog whistle to reform minded voters in Barnsley.

Galloway will be happy this evening.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,554
    Here it is folks, final Sunak v Starmer debate just started on BBC1
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,170

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

To be fair c was always called a "worn" language write once read never though not as bad as perl or javascript
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The LDs doing a PPB on Davey’s life story.

Career as post office minister not taking up a huge amount of scenes I suspect.
  • Options
    LloydBanksLloydBanks Posts: 23
    Forgot to add to previous post - @JosiasJessop I would argue that Gorbachev changed the system but not the mentality, especially not the foreign policy mentality
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

These betting politicians are going to get political betting banned altogether aren't they.

I fully expect more regulation on betting under a Starmer government, all under the guise of protecting the punter.
    Yet another reason not to vote Labour methinks. God save us from people who want to protect us from ourselves. CS Lewis was right.
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 461
    Someone screaming in the background of this debate?
  • Options

biggles said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You are joking?

Palestine
    But "Feels Nationalism" trumps all of the stuff you mention.

"historic monumental wrong crying out to heaven for vengeance".

"It's The Iron Law Of Nations" - Houston Stewart Chamberlin, probably
    Surely we just need to shrug and go "but they are french"
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 50,014
    Insert “it’s fine” house-burning-down-meme

“This fleshy, pink smiling face is made from living human skin”

https://x.com/newscientist/status/1805652025125859665?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,331
    HYUFD said:

Here it is folks, final Sunak v Starmer debate just started on BBC1

Crap, I forgot the popcorn.
  • Options

Ask the average Brit about the battle of Stalingrad you will get a blank stare
    "But its us that won the war we stood alone against the germans mate"
  • Options

Yes, what a knob.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,213

80th anniversary of Operation Bagration last weekend, didn't even make the news here, a further contender for the most decisive battle on the Eastern Front.
  • Options

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

It was a thing amongst Perl programmers. They took a perverse delight in writing unreadable code.
    Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook.
    Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook?
    Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook.
    Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook.
    Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook! Ook. Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook.
    Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook!
    Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook.

is valid code in the ook language just saying
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,404

poor choice of venue if someone outside the venue can be heard on the TV.
  • Options
    Polls from YouGov immediately after and MiC by 11 for the debate
  • Options

The Soviets were on the Nazi side in 39-41 of course.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,342
    edited June 26
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

These betting politicians are going to get political betting banned altogether aren't they.

I fully expect more regulation on betting under a Starmer government, all under the guise of protecting the punter.
    Yet another reason not to vote Labour methinks. God save us from people who want to protect us from ourselves. CS Lewis was right.
    You think a post from from a Tory vaguely imagining a Labour policy is helpful for deciding your vote?
  • Options
    Rishi being very measured so far.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,494

Andy_JS said:

He wants votes from Reform.

This is all purely performative.
  • Options

Outside by the sound of it.
  • Options

Me?
  • Options

Stalingrad? You want the Ilfracombe and Barnstaple section. You wouldn't have much fun in Stalingrad.
  • Options
    Nothing worse as a punishment than your feet not leaving the floor. Awful punishment.
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 835
    Think I'm a bit behind (iPlayer), but there seems to be someone yelling somewhere in the building. Nottingham Trent not covering themselves in glory!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,869
    Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

To be fair c was always called a "worn" language write once read never though not as bad as perl or javascript
    Ahem. My most-used languages were C, Perl and JS. ;)

Oh, and an honourable mention to ARM assembler - though i don't get to use that much.

And C is certainly not a WORN language if written well. If written poorly, *any* language can be WORN. e.g. in Python:
    https://pyobfusc.com/

All these highfalutin new languages are great, but sometimes the oldies are the goldies.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Won't need a very big ruler for that.
  • Options

eek said:

Another crazy
    @MrHarryCole

This general election campaign has broken me.

I might need a six week holiday after July 5th.
    Get a job as a teacher.
    Had a job as a school science technician. Almost went insane out of boredom near the end
  • Options
    Unpopular said:

Think I'm a bit behind (iPlayer), but there seems to be someone yelling somewhere in the building. Nottingham Trent not covering themselves in glory!

It’s a pro-Palestine protest. The key issue at this election.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,869

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

And I took a perverse delight in telling them to go back and do it properly. ;)
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,390
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

Lewis, from the perspective of now, was an old style conservative who placed freedom and personal responsibility at the centre, was more or less laisser faire about consequences, and believed in minutely small government compared with now.

For all I know he is right, but in practice now he would be on his own. Beveridge, the government of 1945, NHS and all, finished off that world view. No subsequent Tory government has introduced a single old style conservative/old liberal policy since the war.
  • Options

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

it depends on what you want to use the code for. some random app or website, make it as unreadable as possible. controlling the engines of an Aircraft in flight, probably best have a design and readable code
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,342
    boulay said:

4ft 11?
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 450
    Rishi isn’t even pretending to answer the questions now.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I did wonder about that. Perhaps private polling is telling Labour to be worried about the Reform vote? Nigel is drawing adoring crowds, SKS is drawing yawns?
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,771
    "I think the Prime Minister has put a bet on how many times he's going to interrupt me." 🤣
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,493
    Pagan2 said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook.
    Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook?
    Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook.
    Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook.
    Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook! Ook. Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook.
    Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook!
    Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook.

is valid code in the ook language just saying
    You gone librarian poo?
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 653
    Nunu5 said:

Jonathan Ashworth oth..

Couldn't say Pakistan because there are too many British Pakistani's in swing seats. Bangladesh is safe as they are fewer of them and concentrated in safer seats. Are they seeing a drift to reform?
    I'd imagine the reason is that the UK signed a return agreement with Bangladesh just a month ago. The point appears to be that despite this agreement, people won't be removed because the systems/people aren't actually in place to do it.

Not sure it's new either. Labour MPs have been saying for the last few years that where there are straightforward cases of people who have failed asylum or are identified as illegal immigrants, they aren't being dealt with quickly.
  • Options
    and there we have it, less than 10 minutes in, "my father was a toolmaker"
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,992
    Toolmaker ding ding ding
  • Options
    Fully costed! It has been said in the debate! Very simple. We borrow more and that is fully costed until we become a banana republic and we do a runner.
  • Options
    He’s wooden and he lies.

Keirnocchio.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,382
    Foxy said:

The Soviets were on the Nazi side in 39-41 of course.
    So were many Americans.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233
    Scott_xP said:

Many moons ago, Philip Davies worked for a few bookies.

He skipped PMQs to show up at Cheltenham
    Helping Alex Chalk. What a legend.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,568
    What happens if the mob make it on to the set?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,497
    Sunak droning on about taxes zzzzzzzzzz.

Change the record !
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I did wonder about that. Perhaps private polling is telling Labour to be worried about the Reform vote? Nigel is drawing adoring crowds, SKS is drawing yawns?
    Yes, that's the obvious conclusion to draw.
  • Options
    nova said:

Nunu5 said:

Jonathan Ashworth oth..

I'd imagine the reason is that the UK signed a return agreement with Bangladesh just a month ago. The point appears to be that despite this agreement, people won't be removed because the systems/people aren't actually in place to do it.

Not sure it's new either. Labour MPs have been saying for the last few years that where there are straightforward cases of people who have failed asylum or are identified as illegal immigrants, they aren't being dealt with quickly.
    Thanks for the context
  • Options

"I think the Prime Minister has put a bet on how many times he's going to interrupt me." 🤣

someone has been feeding him some jokes all day. he delivered it well though
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,221
    Just switched on the debate. Rishi talking about reducing welfare...

Are the Tories turning against pensioners now?
  • Options
    boulay said:

He’s wooden and he lies.

Keirnocchio.

My dad was Geppetto.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Yes, that's the obvious conclusion to draw.
    In which case giving Galloway a huge boost in return for a few reform returners is not very wise.