Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s not getting any better for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,476
    Foxy said:

sbjme19 said:

The 18 reform seats in the Mirror / Baxter MRP are:

Ashfield.
    Barnsley South
    Boston & Skegness.
    Broadland and Fakenham.
    Burton and Uttoxeter.
    Cannock Chase
    Clacton.
    Cotswold North.
    Fareham and Waterlooville.
    Gosport.
    Great Yarmouth.
    Huntington. (More Peas John. Oh Yes)
    Louth and Horncastle.
    Orpington.
    Plymouth Moor View.
    Skipton and Ripon.
    Suffolk South.
    Washington and Gateshead South.

Absolute drivel. Just to take one: The Cotswolds voted Remain, Libdems control the council and will be the challengers
    Yes some bonkers results there.

I’m not immediately pouring cold water on Reform getting that number of seats - they theoretically could though I think highly unlikely - but if I had to pick 18, a good 12-14 of those don’t look like the ones I’d choose.
    I note in the Economist version IoW West goes Reform. I think that MRP models break down on such extreme swings in individual seats. A probalistic method might be closer.

IOW E is more likely to do so than West. The detail of that economist model suggests it may well be very flaky.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,698
    Heathener said:

Implied vote shares from Find Out Now tell us why the result is as it is (not saying wrong)

Lab 40
    Ref 17
    Con 15
    LD 14

Good grief
    Looking like quite the outlier... Maybe the RefUK stealth weapon is dodgy polling.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,785
    That Mirror poll shows Suella losing to Reform, which get 18 seats.
    Surely some mistake.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 50,162
    Good. The solitary reason I am coming back to anchorage-Alaska-on-Thames is to see this magnificent theatre

Then I am off again on assignment. Helas
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,617
    edited June 26

HYUFD said:

James_M said:

A country that votes approximate 33% for centre/right parties is not going to sustain for long a Labour vs Lib Dem main battle. FPTP or no FPTP.

Reform and the Tories would merge under FPTP if the LDs were ahead of them both on seats, it would just be a matter of time. Only PR would keep them separate parties as they could win much more seats that reflect their voteshare with PR than FPTP even if they still divide the right of centre vote
    If the Tories merge with Farage's Reform then any decent Tory MPs would have little choice but to cross the floor to the Lib Dems or someone else.
    A handful might but the vast majority of the Tory membership and most of the parliamentary party and donors would go over and join with Farage's party.

Indeed on the worst of the MRPs most of the wet Tory MPs from Remain or soft Leave southern seats would have already lost their seats to the LDs anyway. The remaining Tory MPs would overwhelmingly be in strong Leave seats and mainly rural constituencies and would find an alliance with Farage no major problem as their voters in their seats would have similar views to him.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,557

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You don't have to be a Putin fan to accept that no one is going to evict him from the six counties oblasts (five in Ukraine plus Transdinistra) any time soon and an armistice with partition, then support to make it stick a la South Korea is better than continuing the slaughter and risking it escalating further, and being of the view that interfering in other countries affairs on sanctimonious moral grounds often disguising vested interests (Ukraine 2014, Libya 2011, Iraq 2003, Afghanistan 2003-2022, Iran 1953 ends up causing far worse problems than the ones they were intended to resolve.

Remember: invading is usually the easy part.

And it's the occupation that usually kills you.

Those Oblasts will be a constant resource drain on the Russian economy, in terms of men and material, and they will produce bugger all tax revenue.

And all the time, Russia will grow economically weaker. It is utterly dependent on energy exports, and it has completely fucked itself.
    And it is hard to consider but Putin will die. He might be like my dad and think he won't, but he will. And the world will be a better place.
    You are joking?

Whoever replaces Putin will be far worse (if we are lucky he might be less skilled at the art of politics (unless less skilled in the Kaiser Bill sense).

One reason Putin went in in 2022 was becsause it was a domestic issue big enough that he might have been vulnerable to hardliners if he didn't.
    And so we get closer to house in the Russia talking points bingo. “Whoever succeeds Putin will be worse!” Tell that to Ukrainians being subjected to all out war and the attempted obliteration of their country and culture.

Seriously, that is straight from the textbook. And if you follow the history of deposed or naturally dying tyrants, most of the time it’s bogus.

You can presumably point to some solid indications that if Putin falls, he will be replaced by a nice, moderate pro-Westerner? Or perhaps some case studies of other nasty dictators that the West has toppled recently leading to the establishment of a nice, pro-Western peace-loving democracy? Or do people just keep saying it because it's not a bad best guess?
    That’s Russia’s business, not Tim’s.
    Which was his point, if you didn’t get it.
    If we end up with Libya, except with nukes, that's everyone's business - that is everyone sane's point, in case you're struggling.
    Or 1930s Germany with Nukes.
    That's effectively what we have now you pillock. Putin's already tried his version of annexing the Sudatenland, only with more violence.
    No we don't. Putin is Ruthless, patient, Cold and Calculating. Hitler was a nutter liable to make crazy decisions in a fit of rage if crossed.

Hitler would probably have nuked Kiev after the Kerch Bridge was attacked.

Putin is a nutter too, who believes his own garbage and spin.

A calculating leader would never have made such a horrendous mistake as to invade Ukraine.
    All long term leaders suffer from too many people feeding them bullshit because they think that is what they want to hear.

In Russia, Ukrainan control of Crimea and Donbass (and the coast to Odesa and Kharkiv) is seen by many in the same light as Alsace-Lorraine was with France from 1870 to 1918, a historic monumental wrong crying out to heaven for venegance.

How many other countries are entitled to invade their neighbours to right a 'historic monumental wrong crying out to heaven for vengeance' ?
    None, but it happens and they get away with it when they are too big to stop without unacceptable consequences. See China/Tibet for example.

Or India /Goa.
    Yet stopping Russia taking over Ukraine has had very acceptable consequences in destroying Russia's military and damaging its economy.

All for the cost of a few billion to western countries.

Now I suspect that back in 2022 you would have opposed any military aid to Ukraine with the same 'reasoning' that you are now using that Russia must be given what it wants.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,894

Con 141 seats or more is 7.2 now, for all of you that are still bullish!

Con 100 seats or more is 2.96!

Are there any polls or MRPs that support 100 seats or more?
    Are there any polls or MRPs that support 141 seats or more?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,229

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You don't have to be a Putin fan to accept that no one is going to evict him from the six counties oblasts (five in Ukraine plus Transdinistra) any time soon and an armistice with partition, then support to make it stick a la South Korea is better than continuing the slaughter and risking it escalating further, and being of the view that interfering in other countries affairs on sanctimonious moral grounds often disguising vested interests (Ukraine 2014, Libya 2011, Iraq 2003, Afghanistan 2003-2022, Iran 1953 ends up causing far worse problems than the ones they were intended to resolve.

Those Oblasts will be a constant resource drain on the Russian economy, in terms of men and material, and they will produce bugger all tax revenue.

And all the time, Russia will grow economically weaker. It is utterly dependent on energy exports, and it has completely fucked itself.
    And it is hard to consider but Putin will die. He might be like my dad and think he won't, but he will. And the world will be a better place.
    You are joking?

Whoever replaces Putin will be far worse (if we are lucky he might be less skilled at the art of politics (unless less skilled in the Kaiser Bill sense).

One reason Putin went in in 2022 was becsause it was a domestic issue big enough that he might have been vulnerable to hardliners if he didn't.
    And so we get closer to house in the Russia talking points bingo. “Whoever succeeds Putin will be worse!” Tell that to Ukrainians being subjected to all out war and the attempted obliteration of their country and culture.

Seriously, that is straight from the textbook. And if you follow the history of deposed or naturally dying tyrants, most of the time it’s bogus.

You can presumably point to some solid indications that if Putin falls, he will be replaced by a nice, moderate pro-Westerner? Or perhaps some case studies of other nasty dictators that the West has toppled recently leading to the establishment of a nice, pro-Western peace-loving democracy? Or do people just keep saying it because it's not a bad best guess?
    If we end up with Libya, except with nukes, that's everyone's business - that is everyone sane's point, in case you're struggling.
    That's effectively what we have now you pillock. Putin's already tried his version of annexing the Sudatenland, only with more violence.
    No we don't. Putin is Ruthless, patient, Cold and Calculating. Hitler was a nutter liable to make crazy decisions in a fit of rage if crossed.

A calculating leader would never have made such a horrendous mistake as to invade Ukraine.
    All long term leaders suffer from too many people feeding them bullshit because they think that is what they want to hear.

In Russia, Ukrainan control of Crimea and Donbass (and the coast to Odesa and Kharkiv is seen by many in the same light as Alsace-Lorraine was with France from 1870 to 1918, a historic monumental wrong crying out to heaven for venegance.

Putin never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity. He has by his actions created a Ukranian nationalist consciousness in places that never had it before, and earned the permanent opposition of Russian speaking Ukranians.

In very much the same way that British actions over the 1916 Easter rising and the Black and Tans created Nationalist Ireland.
    But doubled down in the six Oblasts Counties.

Its going to end up with Ulster type partition.

And yes just as much strong feelings on both sides of that partition.

Thats just reality.
    Just a reminder that the entirety of the oblasts voted to be part of independent Ukraine in the only free vote on the subject.

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 12,165
    Happy image from my evening. Victoria Tap, Manchester. Three old ladies. Well dressed old ladies, but dressed like old ladies used to dress: smart floral dresses. Glasses of white wine in front of them. Break off from.their earnest and animated conversation to sing along lustily as tge Zombies' "She's not there" comes on over the speakers. Which I suppose is the same vintage they are, but rather cooler than what you would normally exoect women in their late 70s and 80s be into.
    Good grief it's late.
    Then back to their conversation. Clearly Talking Heads doesn't catch their imagination the same way.

Another 0-0 being ground out on the telly. Good grief football is turgid.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

sbjme19 said:

Ashfield.
    Barnsley South
    Boston & Skegness.
    Broadland and Fakenham.
    Burton and Uttoxeter.
    Cannock Chase
    Clacton.
    Cotswold North.
    Gosport.
    Great Yarmouth.
    Louth and Horncastle.
    Orpington.
    Plymouth Moor View.
    Skipton and Ripon.
    Suffolk South.

Absolute drivel. Just to take one: The Cotswolds voted Remain, Libdems control the council and will be the challengers

I’m not immediately pouring cold water on Reform getting that number of seats - they theoretically could though I think highly unlikely - but if I had to pick 18, a good 12-14 of those don’t look like the ones I’d choose.
    I note in the Economist version IoW West goes Reform. I think that MRP models break down on such extreme swings in individual seats. A probalistic method might be closer.

IOW E is more likely to do so than West. The detail of that economist model suggests it may well be very flaky.
    A particularly bonkers Reform candidate in E, but an interesting split of 3 or even more parties.
  • Options
    MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 791
    edited June 26

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You are joking?

In Russia, Ukrainan control of Crimea and Donbass (and the coast to Odesa and Kharkiv is seen by many in the same light as Alsace-Lorraine was with France from 1870 to 1918, a historic monumental wrong crying out to heaven for venegance.

Putin never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity. He has by his actions created a Ukranian nationalist consciousness in places that never had it before, and earned the permanent opposition of Russian speaking Ukranians.

In very much the same way that British actions over the 1916 Easter rising and the Black and Tans created Nationalist Ireland.

Thats just reality.
    It's hard to tell, for obvious reasons, but I doubt that pro-Russian sentiment in Russian-occupied Ukraine is as strong as pro-British sentiment in Northern Ireland.
    Crimea 100% certain pro russian. Think county Down or Antrim if the inhabitants of West Belfast had been sent packing at partition

Donetsk/Luhansk - Londonderry/Armagh - except the Russians don't control the "Bogside" and "South Armagh"

The halves of Zaporizhzhia (without) and Kherson (wjthout) they have. Think Tyrone and Fermanagh. Majority "Republican" but hung on to make the place viable (and land bridge to Crimea).

• Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,408
    Heathener said:

I’m unconvinced by these MRPs. In fact, I’m going from unconvinced to downright sceptical.

I think I’m going to return to national polls only and stay measured. I’ll stick with my prediction:

Lab 39
    Con 25
    LibDem 15
    Ref 14
    Green 4

Conservatives on 140 seats. Labour majority 160

even at the higher end of the polling position of the Tories they're losing 45 to 50% of their 2019 GB votes. it's unlike anything that has happened since the collapse of the Liberal party after the first world war. FPTP makes things really hard to predict.

with all of the polls (MRP and regular) there's a margin of error which people forget about which means that the MRPs have somewhere in the region of 100 seats which are essentially tossup for a party or too close to call. but you have to dig into the data to see that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Too good to leave on the last thread.

A truly epic piece of science.

Analysis of Greek prehistoric combat in full body armour based on physiological principles: A series of studies using thematic analysis, human experiments, and numerical simulations

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0301494
    One of the oldest complete suits of European armour was discovered in 1960 near the village of Dendra, in Southern Greece, but it remained unknown whether this armour was suitable for extended use in battle or was purely ceremonial. This had limited our understanding of the ancient Greek–Late Bronze Age–warfare and its consequences that have underpinned the social transformations of prehistoric Europe and Eastern Mediterranean. In a series of archeo-physiological studies, merging knowledge in archaeology, history, human physiology, and numerical simulation, we provide supporting evidence that the Mycenaean armour found at Dendra was entirely compatible with use in extended combat, and we provide a free software enabling simulation of Late Bronze Age warfare. A group of special armed-forces personnel wearing a replica of the Dendra armour were able to complete an 11-hour simulated Late Bronze Age combat protocol that we developed from a series of studies based on the available evidence. Numerical simulation of the thermal exchanges in Late Bronze Age warfare extended this conclusion across different environmental conditions and fighting intensities. Our results support the notion that the Mycenaeans had such a powerful impact in Eastern Mediterranean at least partly as a result of their armour technology…

… As no historical accounts or descriptions survive from the Greek Late Bronze Age regarding the scope and use of armour of the Dendra type, we turned to a key–and only–detailed early account of warfare, battle, and single combat: Homer’s epic account of 10 days in the Trojan War, the Iliad. …

That’s excellent. Merci
  • Options
    Another nil nil
  • Options
    NovoNovo Posts: 60
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

pm215 said:

18 Reform seats seems far too high, I have more faith in the country that it won't vote in that many Quislings.

I agree; but if it did turn out that way (i.e. LD 71 C 60 R 18) would the prospect of being able to grab "official opposition" status back from the LDs make a merger wih Reform seem too attractive to decline for whoever is controlling the Tory party at that point?
    I think if the Tories are reduced to below 100, which is likely, then whether Reform get 1 seat or 18 only matters in terms of negotiating position - whoever leads the Tories at that point will probably be desperate for merger or alliance.

As some speculate it might cost them a few Wets, but in terms of voter base it would probably be much larger.
    However this is two scorpions in a small cage. How keen will sane Tories be to negotiate a deal with a Potemkin party who (a) ran candidates who publicly fellow travelled with fascists and (b) ensured the demolition of the Tories. The aftermath and lattermath won't be dull.
    What would m be the Constitutional position if Labour supported the LD nomination of Ed Davey as LOTO if the Tories tried to subvert the outcome by merging with Reform?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You are joking?

Thats just reality.
    It's hard to tell, for obvious reasons, but I doubt that pro-Russian sentiment in Russian-occupied Ukraine is as strong as pro-British sentiment in Northern Ireland.
    Crimea 100% certain pro russian. Think county Down or Antrim if the inhabitants of West Belfast had been sent packing at partition

Donetsk/Luhansk - Londonderry/Armagh - except the Russians don't control the "Bogside" and "South Armagh"

The halves of Zaporizhzhia (without) and Kherson (wjthout) they have. Think Tyrone and Fermanagh. Majority "Republican" but hung on to make the place viable (and land bridge to Crimea).

These are results that you are looking for. Every single oblast voted for independence in 1991 it wasn't even close anywhere but crimea.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,016
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

sbjme19 said:

Ashfield.
    Barnsley South
    Boston & Skegness.
    Broadland and Fakenham.
    Burton and Uttoxeter.
    Cannock Chase
    Clacton.
    Cotswold North.
    Gosport.
    Great Yarmouth.
    Louth and Horncastle.
    Orpington.
    Plymouth Moor View.
    Skipton and Ripon.
    Suffolk South.

The LD candidate there apparently has a reasonable local following. Though he was once a Green it seems. Conceivably he might take some of what would otherwise be Labour votes - I can't see Reform though really.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,542

Are these people like eight years old???

What would go up during a Labour government? Tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax...

https://x.com/Conservatives/status/1805932619856548153

(The word tax is then repeated about 200 times)

On this, they're right.

Labour will be a socialist government and they're about to shit right in your lunch.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,407
    Ok, just over a week to go, so time to start inking in your answers for the

General Election Competition

In how many seats will:
    1. Reform beat Conservative (don't count draws)?
    2. Labour finish 3rd or lower (don't count where they didn't stand)?
    3. Conservatives lose their deposit?
    4. Lib Dems lose their deposit?
    5. Reform lose their deposit?
    6. Labour lose their deposit?

How big:
    7. Will the largest winning vote margin be?
    8. Will the biggest notional majority defeated be (only count where the incumbent party stands)?

How small:
    9. Will the smallest winning vote margin be (1st - 2nd)?
    10. Will the smallest gap between 1st and 3rd be?
    11. Will the lowest number of votes for any candidate?

How many:
    12. Parties will be elected (whether or not they take their seats. All true independents are grouped as a single party)?
    13. Seats will the Conservatives win?
    14. Seats will Labour win?
    15. Seats will Lib Dems win?
    16. Seats will the SNP win?
    17. Seats will Sinn Fein win?
    18. Seats will DUP win?
    19. Seats will Reform come second in?

What percentage vote:
    20. Will Conservatives get across the UK?
    21. Will Reform get across the UK?
    22. Will SNP get in Scotland?
    23. Will be lowest of any winning candidate?
    24. Will be highest of any 2nd place candidate?
    25. Will Speaker get?

Rules:
    "Independent" means the candidate has no party affiliation or where the party is standing in a single seat.
    Candidates nominated for a party who are suspended by their party after nominations close still count for the party.
    "Green" treats the Green Parties in England & Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland as a single party.
    All entries must be made before midday on polling day, 4th July

Please tag @Farooq in your answers so I'm less likely to miss them.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

sbjme19 said:

Ashfield.
    Barnsley South
    Boston & Skegness.
    Broadland and Fakenham.
    Burton and Uttoxeter.
    Cannock Chase
    Clacton.
    Cotswold North.
    Gosport.
    Great Yarmouth.
    Louth and Horncastle.
    Orpington.
    Plymouth Moor View.
    Skipton and Ripon.
    Suffolk South.

A particularly bonkers Reform candidate in E, but an interesting split of 3 or even more parties.
    She’s actually coming over reasonably well (noting the base of low expectations), and has a lot of support on social media
  • Options

What would go up during a Labour government? Tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax...

"Readers added context they thought people might want to know
    The Conservative Government have been in power since 2010 and have raised overall taxes to their highest level since 1948."
    Doesn't mean readers don't want to know a Labour Government that will take power in 2024 will raise them further to their highest level since 1713.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,445
    rcs1000 said:

So the biggest Reform shares are now with YG, Redfield and Whitestone Insight, the rest are herding 15

Or, alternatively, Farage's fanboism has resulted in the number of people choosing to go Reform falling back somewhat.

It is - of course - entirely possible there is some shy Reform support out there. It is also entirely possible that on election day, many Reform voters decide to vote Conservative because they see that as the best way of preventing Starmer from getting too big a majority, or because they hate the LibDems more than the Conservatives.

We'll find out in eight days time.
    To introduce a wholly novel subject, we won't know anything much in 8 days time. 8 days time is next Thursday afternoon/early evening. We will know what make of dogs are on show at polling stations, and we shall have read 8 days more of PB which, in the case of this election, will entertain and amuse but we shall be neither wiser nor better informed. 9 days time might be different.
  • Options

The Conservative Government have been in power since 2010 and have raised overall taxes to their highest level since 1948."
    Doesn't mean readers don't want to know a Labour Government that will take power in 2024 will raise them further to their highest level since 1713.
    People are probably as much interested in why we’re paying so much yet everything is still crap.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You are joking?

Thats just reality.

These are results that you are looking for. Every single oblast voted for independence in 1991 it wasn't even close anywhere but crimea.

So might every county of Ireland if one had been arranged by the victorious Germans in the aftermath of UK losing World War 1, and subsequent economic the collapse, with the collapse of healthcare, abrupt ending of welfare and pensions etc etc.

• Options
    Keir Starmer confirms that he supports the FPTP voting system and would not scrap it

https://x.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1805989063725285660

What an absolute tool.
  • Options
    I’m in Audierne. it’s a long long way from the Paris-sur-la-plage of Belle Ile. No pink shorts here. No elegant roundabouts, indeed a hint of actual poverty 5km inland. Fat people buying even more carbs in Intermarche, lots of shuttered shops

However it is still lovely and I have found a sweet cosy bistro that does precisely 7 dishes. In total. That’s my favourite kind of restaurant because - one hopes - they are going to nail them

Ins’allah!

They’re off to a great start with home made crisps with a hint of curry flavour. Average wine tho
  • Options
    Farooq said:

In how many seats will:

How big:
    8. Will the biggest notional majority defeated be (only count where the incumbent party stands)?

How small:

How many:
    12. Parties will be elected (whether or not they take their seats. All true independents are grouped as a single party)?
    18. Seats will DUP win?

What percentage vote:
    25. Will Speaker get?

Rules:
    "Independent" means the candidate has no party affiliation or where the party is standing in a single seat.
    Candidates nominated for a party who are suspended by their party after nominations close still count for the party.
    "Green" treats the Green Parties in England & Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland as a single party.

Yada yada yada.

Too many questions. GBH of the ears.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,799

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You are joking?

That’s a solved problem. Any Libyans who get plutonium will hire that loony scientist with the DeLorean. Who’ll steal the plutonium and give them a collection of used pinball machine parts instead.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

People are probably as much interested in why we’re paying so much yet everything is still crap.
    Scrutinise the challenger.

They've had none.
  • Options
    The song "Beat It", but every note is "C". Oddly hypnotic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlbmRGvLExY
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,096

On this, they're right.

Labour will be a socialist government and they're about to shit right in your lunch.
    It's a turnoff for you but the rest of us realise are paying socialist levels of tax with libertarian levels of public service. If we're going to pay we may as well try the real thing. That's why you're losing. Oh, and the fact that from Neil Hamilton to Michelle Mone the Conservative Party has shown for 30 years that it would be prosecuted under the RICO Act if it were incorporated in the USA.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,068
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

18 Reform seats seems far too high, I have more faith in the country that it won't vote in that many Quislings.

Given your (correct imo) assessment of Farage as a grubby little racist it still surprises me that you voted for him in 2019. Ok, the Euro elections, but still. I would have thought no nose-peg could have been quite strong enough.
    I voted for him to be ousted from [the European] Parliament, not elected into it.

And Theresa "Go Home" May was not much of a better alternative.
    Yes I know the thinking. But I also know if I despised a politician as much as you do Nigel Farage, considered him a vile racist, I would need an unbelievably compelling reason to vote for them in any election under any circumstances. I guess your dislike of our EU membership was so strong as to be that reason. Quite something really when you think about it. And never again, one hopes.
    Not my dislike of the EU, I was torn whether to vote Leave or Remain until the last minute and had entered the campaign backing Remain but was won over by Richard_Tyndall, Casino_Royale and others.

My desire to get him removed from Parliament, Theresa May removed as PM, as well as my belief in democracy and that having made a decision to Leave in 2016 that decision should be respected.

But yes it was absolutely sui generis and never again.
    Sounds like your vote for Nigel Farage was in your mind a vote against Nigel Farage then. Interesting way of looking at it. We were just talking earlier about "thinking outside the box". Good example right here.
    And in next week's episode of "Justification", black will be white, up will be down and water will be dry....
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

rcs1000 said:

So the biggest Reform shares are now with YG, Redfield and Whitestone Insight, the rest are herding 15

Or, alternatively, Farage's fanboism has resulted in the number of people choosing to go Reform falling back somewhat.

It is - of course - entirely possible there is some shy Reform support out there. It is also entirely possible that on election day, many Reform voters decide to vote Conservative because they see that as the best way of preventing Starmer from getting too big a majority, or because they hate the LibDems more than the Conservatives.

We'll find out in eight days time.
    To introduce a wholly novel subject, we won't know anything much in 8 days time. 8 days time is next Thursday afternoon/early evening. We will know what make of dogs are on show at polling stations, and we shall have read 8 days more of PB which, in the case of this election, will entertain and amuse but we shall be neither wiser nor better informed. 9 days time might be different.
    Well, we'll know you're a socialist enabler and one of Starmer's useful idiots. You'll have five years struggling to sleep and not look yourself in the eye in the mirror.

There's still time... don't do it.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207
    Norstat the best poll of the today for the Conservatives with the party up three and Reform down four.

The two with fieldwork including today aren't far apart but with tonight's debate we are still a long way from polling concensus.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

In how many seats will:

How big:

How small:

How many:
    18. Seats will DUP win?

What percentage vote:
    25. Will Speaker get?

Rules:

Farooq said:

In how many seats will:

How big:

How small:

How many:
    18. Seats will DUP win?

What percentage vote:
    25. Will Speaker get?

Rules:

I like a good PB quiz but @Casino_Royale is right, there are far too many questions. Ten max? Six or eight is ideal

Have another go, this feels like actual work, but the idea is good
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,028

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Given your (correct imo) assessment of Farage as a grubby little racist it still surprises me that you voted for him in 2019. Ok, the Euro elections, but still. I would have thought no nose-peg could have been quite strong enough.
    I voted for him to be ousted from [the European] Parliament, not elected into it.

And Theresa "Go Home" May was not much of a better alternative.
    Yes I know the thinking. But I also know if I despised a politician as much as you do Nigel Farage, considered him a vile racist, I would need an unbelievably compelling reason to vote for them in any election under any circumstances. I guess your dislike of our EU membership was so strong as to be that reason. Quite something really when you think about it. And never again, one hopes.
    Not my dislike of the EU, I was torn whether to vote Leave or Remain until the last minute and had entered the campaign backing Remain but was won over by Richard_Tyndall, Casino_Royale and others.

My desire to get him removed from Parliament, Theresa May removed as PM, as well as my belief in democracy and that having made a decision to Leave in 2016 that decision should be respected.

But yes it was absolutely sui generis and never again.
    Sounds like your vote for Nigel Farage was in your mind a vote against Nigel Farage then. Interesting way of looking at it. We were just talking earlier about "thinking outside the box". Good example right here.
    Yes, it was a vote that got him out of Parliament. He's a has-been now who is not an elected representative.

Good riddance.
    Odd (in a good way) to hear a passionate Leaver describe that EU talking shop as "Parliament", one word capital P.

But as for "has been" I'm afraid he looks good for Clacton. Which would put him (for the first time) in the Mother of all.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

On this, they're right.

It's a turnoff for you but the rest of us realise are paying socialist levels of tax with libertarian levels of public service. If we're going to pay we may as well try the real thing. That's why you're losing. Oh, and the fact that from Neil Hamilton to Michelle Mone the Conservative Party has shown for 30 years that it would be prosecuted under the RICO Act if it were incorporated in the USA.
    Fucking pathetic.

• Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You are joking?

Thats just reality.

So might every county of Ireland if one had been arranged by the victorious Germans in the aftermath of UK losing World War 1, and subsequent economic the collapse, with the collapse of healthcare, abrupt ending of welfare and pensions etc etc.

Do... do you think Ukraine was forced to hold a referendum against their will by some victorious invading army?

Quiz question: who was the 3rd country to recognise Ukraine's independence after Poland and Canada?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You are joking?

In Russia, Ukrainan control of Crimea and Donbass (and the coast to Odesa and Kharkiv) is seen by many in the same light as Alsace-Lorraine was with France from 1870 to 1918, a historic monumental wrong crying out to heaven for venegance.

How many other countries are entitled to invade their neighbours to right a 'historic monumental wrong crying out to heaven for vengeance' ?
    None, but it happens and they get away with it when they are too big to stop without unacceptable consequences. See China/Tibet for example.

Or India /Goa.
    Yet stopping Russia taking over Ukraine has had very acceptable consequences in destroying Russia's military and damaging its economy.

All for the cost of a few billion to western countries.

Now I suspect that back in 2022 you would have opposed any military aid to Ukraine with the same 'reasoning' that you are now using that Russia must be given what it wants.
    I’m launching the Really Real Really Reclaim Party.

We want the Angevin Empire plus the Treaty of Troyes. As a start.

Rejoin? Narp

Think Hostile Takeover. Yarp.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

sbjme19 said:

Ashfield.
    Barnsley South
    Boston & Skegness.
    Broadland and Fakenham.
    Burton and Uttoxeter.
    Cannock Chase
    Clacton.
    Cotswold North.
    Gosport.
    Great Yarmouth.
    Louth and Horncastle.
    Orpington.
    Plymouth Moor View.
    Skipton and Ripon.
    Suffolk South.

She’s actually coming over reasonably well (noting the base of low expectations), and has a lot of support on social media
    67 on Bet365.

How's the Lab candidate going down? Not to everyone's taste I imagine.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,931

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You are joking?

Thats just reality.

Fortunately, there have been opinion polls since.

Do you want to know what they said?
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 309

Keir Starmer confirms that he supports the FPTP voting system and would not scrap it

What an absolute tool.

Of course he wouldn't! Chicken and egg scenario. Those who win under FPTP want to keep FPTP
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You are joking?

Thats just reality.

Erm...the vast majority of counties in Ireland did vote for independence after the end of WW1 and the UK didn't even lose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_United_Kingdom_general_election_in_Ireland

That was an ELE for the Irish Parliamentary Party...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,888

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You are joking?

Thats just reality.

That's.... an odd comparison to make.

Perhaps, just perhaps, Ukrainians wanted to be out of the Soviet Union? And given the way they're fighting the fascist, imperialist Russians, it seems they still do.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You are joking?

Thats just reality.

Erm...the vast majority of counties in Ireland did vote for independence after the end of WW1 and the UK didn't even lose.

Question: what was the break point at which Irish independence became inevitable?

Gladstone's third home rule bill? Later?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

On this, they're right.

Fucking pathetic.

I've scrutinised the challenger against the incumbent.

The incumbent loses on every single metric.

Your party has given me no reason to vote for it. It has given me several, very personal, reasons to want to bury it 12 feet in the ground.
  • Options
    edited June 26
    Novo said:

algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

pm215 said:

I agree; but if it did turn out that way (i.e. LD 71 C 60 R 18) would the prospect of being able to grab "official opposition" status back from the LDs make a merger wih Reform seem too attractive to decline for whoever is controlling the Tory party at that point?
    I think if the Tories are reduced to below 100, which is likely, then whether Reform get 1 seat or 18 only matters in terms of negotiating position - whoever leads the Tories at that point will probably be desperate for merger or alliance.

As some speculate it might cost them a few Wets, but in terms of voter base it would probably be much larger.
    However this is two scorpions in a small cage. How keen will sane Tories be to negotiate a deal with a Potemkin party who (a) ran candidates who publicly fellow travelled with fascists and (b) ensured the demolition of the Tories. The aftermath and lattermath won't be dull.
    What would m be the Constitutional position if Labour supported the LD nomination of Ed Davey as LOTO if the Tories tried to subvert the outcome by merging with Reform?
    SFAICS the constitutional position is that the question (who is LOTO and which party is HMLO) is handed to the speaker to fix; also, SFAICS, a question like that has never arisen in modern times, and also that it is almost certainly non-justiciable (can't go to court about it, though you can always make an application to a court to argue justiciability).

The speaker would take advice before deciding, and the great and good would unite behind him. The PM, with about 500 MPs behind him in hastily acquired ill fitting suits, won't care less and will back the speaker.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,653
    Farooq said:

In how many seats will:

How big:

How small:

How many:
    18. Seats will DUP win?

What percentage vote:
    25. Will Speaker get?

Rules:

I'm going for 42.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,225

DougSeal said:

On this, they're right.

Fucking pathetic.

Shall we start with the IFS who saying there is an £18bn hole created by Hunt that needs to be filled. How are the Tory party going to actually do that?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

You are joking?

Thats just reality.

Do... do you think Ukraine was forced to hold a referendum against their will by some victorious invading army?

Quiz question: who was the 3rd country to recognise Ukraine's independence after Poland and Canada?
    And there was this -

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2022/02/europe/russia-ukraine-crisis-poll-intl/index.html

Memorably described as “that shitty poll” by one of our resident realists.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

On this, they're right.

Fucking pathetic.

Your party has given me no reason to vote for it. It has given me several, very personal, reasons to want to bury it 12 feet in the ground.
    Then, that's an OTT emotional and illogical reaction.

And, you'll pay for it.
  • Options
    At this point the remaining Tories here are doing a Labour 2019 and lying and then telling the voters they are wrong. You're letting SKS get away with it.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,641
    Last week of the campaign starts in 4 and a bit hours!
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,877
    edited June 26
    viewcode said:

Con 141 seats or more is 7.2 now, for all of you that are still bullish!

Con 100 seats or more is 2.96!

Are there any polls or MRPs that support 100 seats or more?
    Are there any polls or MRPs that support 141 seats or more?
    Yes.

In fact the two most recent national opinion polls do.

Norstat data 24-26 June

Con 23
    Lab 39
    LibDem 12
    Ref 15
    Green 6

(Con seats 110)

More in Common data 24-26 June

Con 23
    Lab 40
    LibDem 11
    Ref 14
    Green 5

(Con seats 108)
  • Options
    edited June 26
    stodge said:

Norstat the best poll of the today for the Conservatives with the party up three and Reform down four.

The two with fieldwork including today aren't far apart but with tonight's debate we are still a long way from polling concensus.

If polling can only really cope with ‘normal’, predictable scenarios, you begin to wonder what the point of it is?

People are only casual to the wild flailing around of the various poll companies because Labour is so far ahead that the outcome is the same in all of them. If we had this level of polling variation in a close election, the media would be full of stories about polling conflict and clueless pollsters.
  • Options
    Nunu5 said:

What an absolute tool.

Of course he wouldn't! Chicken and egg scenario. Those who win under FPTP want to keep FPTP
    We recently had a chance to make a crucial reform (AV) which would have been the only change needed to gradually unlock the system and make FPTP work, and said no. I voted for it. Tough.
  • Options
    eek said:

DougSeal said:

On this, they're right.

Fucking pathetic.

Shall we start with the IFS who saying there is an £18bn hole created by Hunt that needs to be filled. How are the Tory party going to actually do that?
    Challenge YOUR LOT. Labour.

*L-a-b-o-u-r*

I'm sick and tired of zero scrutiny being applied to their bullshit this campaign. It's a complete dereliction of duty by the press and the curious voter.

They are going to waltz into office without any questioning whatsoever.

If you don't put them on the spot you can't make any complaints whatsoever about what they subsequently do in office. Because you didn't give a shit.
  • Options

I think you’re right by the way about LibDems. 15% is a bit too high.

• Options
    I've just been working (*) for a couple of hours, listening to music as I code. I come on PB and lose my train of thought.

I realised the music I've been listening to has been on auto-repeat the whole time. On one song.

And I had not noticed.

"Leaving", by the Pet Shop Boys, if anyone cares.

(*) Sort of...
  • Options
    Do the over 65s wake up Next Thursday and decide to cling to nurse? Do the youth bother? Love elections
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

sbjme19 said:

Ashfield.
    Barnsley South
    Boston & Skegness.
    Broadland and Fakenham.
    Burton and Uttoxeter.
    Cannock Chase
    Clacton.
    Cotswold North.
    Gosport.
    Great Yarmouth.
    Louth and Horncastle.
    Orpington.
    Plymouth Moor View.
    Skipton and Ripon.
    Suffolk South.

67 on Bet365.

How's the Lab candidate going down? Not to everyone's taste I imagine.
    No. And leaving aside the nature of her selection and the obvious, she’s a really dull, uninspiring performer in public, as well. Labour’s best chance is to hide her away and hope to get in on national swing.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I think you’re right by the way about LibDems. 15% is a bit too high.

I could be wrong too! We will soon see. I'd expect their polling average to creep up as minds are made up if they are going to seriously advance from 2015 to 19 in vote share
  • Options

I've just been working (*) for a couple of hours, listening to music as I code. I come on PB and lose my train of thought.

I realised the music I've been listening to has been on auto-repeat the whole time. On one song.

And I had not noticed.

(*) Sort of...

Because you were only being boring?
  • Options

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

On this, they're right.

Fucking pathetic.

And, you'll pay for it.
    I've paid for the incompetence of the Tories who have made it clear they don't want my vote. I'm paying taxes through the nose despite the vilification and sneering of your party. If the Tories win God knows what they will do to people like me and you. I just want to be left alone by the government but the blues keep sticking their nose in.
  • Options

eek said:

DougSeal said:

On this, they're right.

Fucking pathetic.

*L-a-b-o-u-r*

I'm sick and tired of zero scrutiny being applied to their bullshit this campaign. It's a complete dereliction of duty by the press and the curious voter.

If you don't put them on the spot you can't make any complaints whatsoever about what they subsequently do in office. Because you didn't give a shit.
    You on the sauce CR? ;)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

In how many seats will:

How big:

How small:

How many:
    18. Seats will DUP win?

What percentage vote:
    25. Will Speaker get?

Rules:

I like a good PB quiz but @Casino_Royale is right, there are far too many questions. Ten max? Six or eight is ideal

I'm not changing it since we have some entries already. The questions were crowdsourced on this board, and I already threw dozens away.

So I tell you what, if someone wants to narrow it down to a "lite" version, I'm happy to score the two alongside each other. If someone wants to take charge of picking the questions, let me know what they are. I'll make sure that anybody who's entered the "master" version will also have their answers put into the "apprentice" version.

Fair compromise?
  • Options

And I had not noticed.

(*) Sort of...

You have been experiencing *flow*. A beautiful experience, sort of.
  • Options

Do the over 65s wake up Next Thursday and decide to cling to nurse? Do the youth bother? Love elections

And both love erections.

Presumably, the former struggle a bit more.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,833
    Leon said:

I’m in Audierne. it’s a long long way from the Paris-sur-la-plage of Belle Ile. No pink shorts here. No elegant roundabouts, indeed a hint of actual poverty 5km inland. Fat people buying even more carbs in Intermarche, lots of shuttered shops

However it is still lovely and I have found a sweet cosy bistro that does precisely 7 dishes. In total. That’s my favourite kind of restaurant because - one hopes - they are going to nail them

Ins’allah!

They’re off to a great start with home made crisps with a hint of curry flavour. Average wine tho

There is something great about the places where the menu is totally limited. One of the things I miss most about Switzerland was the Auberge in each commune. Apart from a couple, both called the Cheval Blanc coincidently, all of them served pretty much two or three dishes.

Mine, the L’Auberge du Soleil never changed. Winter was fondue, fondue des tomates, or steak frites. To start it was green salad or Salade Paysane which was fantastic. chicken livers, croutons, mushrooms, red onions, salad leaves and a raspberry vinaigrette.

Summer the same except that the fondues were swapped out for Raclette or Fillet de Perche (fried lake fish) with fries.

The only thing you really have to decide hard about is the wine. But it worked perfectly. Once or twice a week, lunchtime or evening you knew what you were getting and knew it was great.
  • Options

Great days, Window Tax in full swing. Hearth Tax departed but a happy memory for all those grateful taxpayers. Income Tax, that temporary expedient, 100 years away.
  • Options

eek said:

DougSeal said:

On this, they're right.

Fucking pathetic.

*L-a-b-o-u-r*

You are pathetic. Are you saying that no-one in the country except you has interrogated the Labour manifesto? Seriously? Do you have so little faith in the electorate? You have to realise that you have failed and there is a better option on the table.
  • Options

And both love erections.

Presumably, the former struggle a bit more.
    I'll let you know in 13 years
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

On this, they're right.

Fucking pathetic.

And, you'll pay for it.
    I just want to be left alone by the government but the blues keep sticking their nose in.
    I've got news for you mate: if that's what you want you're voting for the wrong team.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,343

TFFT
  • Options
    On a new Russian leader after Putin:

Yes, a replacement for Putin may be 'worse' for Ukraine and the west than Putin. He may be more competent, more liable to press the big red button, whatever.

That's a concern. Or a replacement might be 'better' for us; one more willing to work with us, to turn Russia back into a civilised nation.

Russia's in a pickle. Any new leader would be insecure at first, and will want to secure his position. He could do this by continuing Putin's agenda and winning in Ukraine (difficult), or he could do this by ending the war however he can.

And my point is this: Putin has painted himself into a corner. He has said a load of shite to the Russian public, and although he can do minor changes, any major ones - like a retreat from Ukraine - would mean the end of his premiership and, by extension, his life.

An successor may well have more latitude to find an accommodation with Ukraine that Putin could not. He would be, to a certain extent, a fresh sheet. Even if he is also a fresh shit as well.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,462
    edited June 26
    Lots of interesting stuff here,

if I was in Government, I'd do this for Business...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQKzSeM6zB0

Instead all we are talking about what is a woman working person and which politicians have bet on politics.

The first point he makes is a really tough one. Small business, turn-over taxes are crippling, but for large multi-national businesses, its too easy to avoid profit based taxes. And of course large businesses can not only absorb red tape, it also acts as a moat against smaller challengers.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

In how many seats will:

How big:

How small:

How many:
    18. Seats will DUP win?

What percentage vote:
    25. Will Speaker get?

Rules:

Farooq said:

In how many seats will:

How big:

How small:

How many:
    18. Seats will DUP win?

What percentage vote:
    25. Will Speaker get?

Rules:

No, it'a good. It seems a lot but the questions require thought rather than research and can therefore be done more quickly than many such competitions. Try it. Not least cos several of us have already entered.
  • Options
    Countdown to the BBC debate. Sunaks last chance! Starmer is going to wipe the floor with him. BBC will be impartial and crucify Sunak. Wait...... Someone uninvited is busting in. Farage! Sunak says I will not debate with him. Starmer says the same and they leave. Ed Davey leaves as well. Is he attending? Nige is left to bore for Britian. Make promises he has no intention of keeping. Even his own supporters switch off. It is a hot night. Go to the pub and get pissed is a better idea. Definitely.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

In how many seats will:

How big:

How small:

How many:
    18. Seats will DUP win?

What percentage vote:
    25. Will Speaker get?

Rules:

Farooq said:

In how many seats will:

How big:

How small:

How many:
    18. Seats will DUP win?

What percentage vote:
    25. Will Speaker get?

Rules:

Simply GB seats for Lab, LD, Con, Ref, Green, SNP, PC and Ind would make 8 questions (albeit contingent on each other). Another 3 for overall turnout, highest turnout and lowest turnout, 2 for largest and smallest majority makes for a lucky 13.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

On this, they're right.

Fucking pathetic.

*L-a-b-o-u-r*

You are pathetic. Are you saying that no-one in the country except you has interrogated the Labour manifesto? Seriously? Do you have so little faith in the electorate? You have to realise that you have failed and there is a better option on the table.
    It's not a better option. It's a shitter option.

Starmer will use your vote to bolster the size of his giant strap-on and then royally fuck you in the arse, sans vaseline, laughing all the while, at the "mandate" you've given him.

After 5 years your bum is going to be rather sore. It will possibly need surgery.
  • Options

Farooq said:

In how many seats will:

How big:

How small:

How many:
    18. Seats will DUP win?

What percentage vote:
    25. Will Speaker get?

Rules:

I'm going for 42.
    I think 41.9
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Happy image from my evening. Victoria Tap, Manchester. Three old ladies. Well dressed old ladies, but dressed like old ladies used to dress: smart floral dresses. Glasses of white wine in front of them. Break off from.their earnest and animated conversation to sing along lustily as tge Zombies' "She's not there" comes on over the speakers. Which I suppose is the same vintage they are, but rather cooler than what you would normally exoect women in their late 70s and 80s be into.
    Good grief it's late.
    Then back to their conversation. Clearly Talking Heads doesn't catch their imagination the same way.

Another 0-0 being ground out on the telly. Good grief football is turgid.

The old ladies have moved onto bemoaning the Tories' failure to stop the boats.
  • Options

And I had not noticed.

(*) Sort of...

What have I done to deserve this?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Great days, Window Tax in full swing. Hearth Tax departed but a happy memory for all those grateful taxpayers. Income Tax, that temporary expedient, 100 years away.
    Have another think about it.

You're the one who has to live with your decision.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,057
    edited June 26
    Has anyone seen the Tories' latest twitter post? It look like the sort of thing a 5 year old might post.

• Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

In how many seats will:

How big:

How small:

How many:
    18. Seats will DUP win?

What percentage vote:
    25. Will Speaker get?

Rules:

I'm not changing it since we have some entries already. The questions were crowdsourced on this board, and I already threw dozens away.

So I tell you what, if someone wants to narrow it down to a "lite" version, I'm happy to score the two alongside each other. If someone wants to take charge of picking the questions, let me know what they are. I'll make sure that anybody who's entered the "master" version will also have their answers put into the "apprentice" version.

Fair compromise?
    OK. Labour will win.
  • Options
    edited June 26

DougSeal said:

Question: what was the break point at which Irish independence became inevitable?

Gladstone's third home rule bill? Later?
    Gawd, there's a question. If the Third Home Rule Act had been implemented and the Curragh Mutiny had been put down properly instead of indulged and the Easter Rising leaders had been treated leniently, then they may still be here. But that's a chain, not a single event. The ultimate answer may be "The day World War I was declared".

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,324
    edited June 26
    This discussion reminds me, it's time to put the organic kippers on the grill and open some wine to have with them. A dry rose from France. And brown bread and butter.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

On this, they're right.

Fucking pathetic.

*L-a-b-o-u-r*

You on the sauce CR? ;)
    I think we’re passed the point where people can be scared back to the Conservatives, anyway.

If a late wheel did happen to come off the Labour campaign, a chunk of voters would probably switch to the LibDems and Reform.
  • Options
    Betting post
    BET365 are offering 14/1 on the Tories in Great Yarmouth, a seat they took by a 40% margin in 2019
    DYOR
  • Options
    edited June 26

algarkirk said:

Have another think about it.

You're the one who has to live with your decision.

How is your plan to move abroad going?
  • Options
    Just tried to get a bet on the date of GE2024.

They said the market was closed

Not sure if that is due to dodgy betting patterns.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,057
    edited June 26
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

sbjme19 said:

Ashfield.
    Barnsley South
    Boston & Skegness.
    Broadland and Fakenham.
    Burton and Uttoxeter.
    Cannock Chase
    Clacton.
    Cotswold North.
    Gosport.
    Great Yarmouth.
    Louth and Horncastle.
    Orpington.
    Plymouth Moor View.
    Skipton and Ripon.
    Suffolk South.

I think the Greens might get that one, IOW East. Bit of a hunch I have.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

This discussion reminds me, it's time to put the organic kippers on the grill and open some wine to have with them. A dry rose from France. And brown bread and butter.

I bloody love kippers.
    It is a source of persistent disappointment that B&Bs no longer serve them for breakfast.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Has anyone seen the Tories' latest twitter post? It look like the sort of thing a 5 year old might post.

Yep - tax appears to be the only thing they have - to which my question is the IFS says there is an £18bn black hole in the Tory manifesto where are the cuts coming from?
  • Options

And I had not noticed.

(*) Sort of...

What have I done to deserve this?
    These opinion polls remind me of domino dancing.

All day All day.
  • Options

Just tried to get a bet on the date of GE2024.

They said the market was closed

Not sure if that is due to dodgy betting patterns.

Might be a tad late for that one mate.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

eek said:

DougSeal said:

On this, they're right.

Fucking pathetic.

*L-a-b-o-u-r*

It's not a better option. It's a shitter option.

Starmer will use your vote to bolster the size of his giant strap-on and then royally fuck you in the arse, sans vaseline, laughing all the while, at the "mandate" you've given him.

After 5 years your bum is going to be rather sore. It will possibly need surgery.
    The Tories should get you to write their eve of poll….
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

In how many seats will:

How big:

How small:

How many:
    18. Seats will DUP win?

What percentage vote:
    25. Will Speaker get?

Rules:

Farooq said:

In how many seats will:

How big:

How small:

How many:
    18. Seats will DUP win?

What percentage vote:
    25. Will Speaker get?

Rules:

No, it'a good. It seems a lot but the questions require thought rather than research and can therefore be done more quickly than many such competitions. Try it. Not least cos several of us have already entered.
    This one is happening. It's locked in I'll work out the winner whatever happens.

But Leon and Casino have a fair point that it's a lot. We can do both. But I'm not going to be muggins and do all the work. If there's really demand for a lite version, the board can work the content out and I'll score it up after the results are in.