Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

It’s not getting any better for the Tories – politicalbetting.com

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,573

"And that brings to a head the final head to head debate"

THANK FUCK FOR THAT

Bloody right.
    I hate these debates because they're not actually debates. Yes, I know we all know that already, but I used to do BP debate at university for fun (because I'm super cool). Lincoln-Douglas is a better format but they both have their charms. They're always significantly more enlightening than this piss-awful trade in duelling soundbytes because the sides have several minutes to develop their arguments. The opposition gets to interject but not barrack. You actually learn some things about the other person's argument.

Not that anyone would probably watch that, but surely anything is better than "NO U WUD RAISE TAX", "NO U" for an hour.
  • Options
    No Surrender!
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,410
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s
    YouGov snap poll on #BBCDebate:

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

Given current Tory poll rating of 20-25%, 50% saying Rishi won tonight is a clear win for the Tories.

Expect the polls to narrow by the end of the weekend
    Given the current Labour poll rating of 40-45%, 50% saying SKS won tonight is a clear win for Labour [taps temple in a knowing way]
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,233

Wes is on!

He thought SKS did a brilliant job.

Now cleverly is on and he thinks Sunak did a brilliant job.

Most informative

I did think the discussion with the two audience members was worth watching.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,691
    HYUFD said:

you have been saying that since the day the election was called...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,625
    Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

And they will now., the final week of the campaign is when people really most switch on
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,397

Eight Fucking Grand

On himself

To lose

A creative way to get a golden handshake.

If he were to win, he keeps his salary and gets the £8k and more back in a couple of months.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,331
    Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

Note he didn’t say for which parties the polls would narrow. :smiley:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

Given current Tory poll rating of 20-25%, 50% saying Rishi won tonight is a clear win for the Tories.

I have a bridge to sell you, lightly used.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,800
    Scott_xP said:

Eight Fucking Grand

On himself

To lose

Just remember, we pay his wages...
    I want to know what odds he got.

If it’s one of those “bet the mortgage to get a fiver” things….
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,240
    HYUFD said:

Clear win for Sunak there in my view. He was concise, clear, hard hitting and got across all the messages he wanted to wavering ReformUK and redwall switchers to Labour on the risk of higher taxes and increased immigration under a Labour government.

Starmer though did not have a disaster and make a clear offer to voters of more spending and investment in public services under Labour and support for Trans rights and an attempt to get a new deal with the EU

I think that's a fair summary - they were pitching to different audiences hence the sharp contrast in styles. Sunak will likely have done better with Refuk waverers, and Starmer will have done enough to reassure Con-Lab switchers outside of the red wall.

So a score draw, as far as I can tell.

Not enough to knock the betting scandal out of the headlines, though.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,691
    Well, quite...

@stephenkb

Quite a moment - Rishi Sunak says that you can get a better trade deal with free movement.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,411
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

Will they narrow back to where they were last week, or not quite that far?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,399
    Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

That’s a good result for Sunak, given the polls. It may shift them by a % or two, but not by enough to make a difference.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,627
    Didn’t see the debates, been watching the football.

The Georgians are leading Portugal and from what I can ascertain that will change England’s opponents in the R16 to Slovakia?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,295
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

Given the current Labour poll rating of 40-45%, 50% saying SKS won tonight is a clear win for Labour [taps temple in a knowing way]
    82% to 18% of the undecideds (2019 Tories) went for Sunak according to YouGov.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,179
    HYUFD said:

Clear win for Sunak there in my view. He was concise, clear, hard hitting and got across all the messages he wanted to wavering ReformUK and redwall switchers to Labour on the risk of higher taxes and increased immigration under a Labour government.

Starmer though did not have a disaster and make a clear offer to voters of more spending and investment in public services under Labour and support for Trans rights and an attempt to get a new deal with the EU

Without having watched the debate I would understand your summary to be that it is all over bar the shouting and everyone has accepted Starmer will win on July 4?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,194

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

Vanilla - the only thing in the known universe more useless than the Department for Education.

I disagree. The Perl programming language would give it a run for its money. The only "write once, never edit" language known.
    Perl was write once, make sure it works and then never ever go near it again.

I remember a Perl expert writing what should have been a 200 line script in a single completely and utterly unreadable line, assembler was easier to read and follow...
    It was a thing amongst Perl programmers. They took a perverse delight in writing unreadable code.
    Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook.
    Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook?
    Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook? Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook.
    Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook. Ook? Ook! Ook! Ook? Ook! Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook.
    Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook. Ook.
    Ook! Ook. Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook.
    Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook! Ook!
    Ook! Ook. Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook? Ook. Ook. Ook! Ook.

is valid code in the ook language just saying
    You gone librarian poo?
    I suspect the librarian was indeed the inspiration but it is a genuinely compilable language
    There was another one that was all punctuation.
    brainfuck?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,595
    AlsoLei said:

HYUFD said:

I think that's a fair summary - they were pitching to different audiences hence the sharp contrast in styles. Sunak will likely have done better with Refuk waverers, and Starmer will have done enough to reassure Con-Lab switchers outside of the red wall.

No one is watching (relatively) I suspect.

The 3 million or whatever who are watching have made up their minds already I v strongly suspect.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

That’s a good result for Sunak, given the polls. It may shift them by a % or two, but not by enough to make a difference.
    Enough to get to 1997 style defeat rather than annihilation though, maybe even close to 2010 level gap
  • Options
    sbjme19 said:

Oh Robert from the audience is a long-time Conservative voter. Surprise, surprise.

He was the one who asked the question about "very senior members of the Labour party pulling Starmer's strings"?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,449

Sunak's performance superior to Starmer's. Clearly.

But when it comes to substance, he was just a one trick pony - Tax, Tax Tax.

In contrast, Starmer described a plan for the future of the country.

Alternatively, Sunak's performance was like a bit like punching your potential employer at a job interview. It might technically count as winning a fight, but it probably won't help you achieve your aim.

The big picture is that 10-15 percent have already voted (it's a week to go, and I wouldn't trust the post), very few are still making up their minds and this evening has really just confirmed what everybody already knew.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,028
    Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

That's a win for Sunak then - given the polls.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,411
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

Enough to get to 1997 style defeat rather than annihilation though, maybe even close to 2010 level gap
    Oh my, loving your optimism in the face of all the evidence.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,595
    Exactly.

Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    42m
    Sunak is the most unpopular party leader in history with a week to go before an election. It doesn't make the blindest bit of difference how he does in a debate.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,833
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

And they will now., the final week of the campaign is when people really most switch on
    It will be interesting in the future to find out if Rishi was suppressed and told to behave in a certain way before tonight and then cut loose or if he was running things before and then tonight he was instructed to behave a different way.

Personally I found that tonight he was at his most natural. It wasn’t forced and angry it was from the heart.

I know lucky and others hate him but ultimately there is a small tax/gov politician there who has been hampered by events.

A sliding doors will never be possible but if he won this one then I think the country would end up more towards the trusted small tax etc when it was safe.

He’s not the enemy.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,800
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

Vanilla - the only thing in the known universe more useless than the Department for Education.

I disagree. The Perl programming language would give it a run for its money. The only "write once, never edit" language known.

I remember a Perl expert writing what should have been a 200 line script in a single completely and utterly unreadable line, assembler was easier to read and follow...
    It was a thing amongst Perl programmers. They took a perverse delight in writing unreadable code.

You gone librarian poo?
    I suspect the librarian was indeed the inspiration but it is a genuinely compilable language
    brainfuck?
    Consider

do 'bigint.pl';($_,$n)=@ARGV;s/^.(..)*$/0$&/;($k=unpack('B*',pack('H*',$_)))=~
    s/^0*//;$x=0;$z=$n=~s/./$x=&badd(&bmul($x,16),hex$&)/ge;while(read(STDIN,$_,$w
    =((2*$d-1+$z)&~1)/2)){$r=1;$_=substr($_."\0"x$w,$c=0,$w);s/.|\n/$c=&badd(&bmul
    ($c,256),ord$&)/ge;$_=$k;s/./$r=&bmod(&bmul($r,$r),$x),$&?$r=&bmod(&bmul($r,$c
    ),$x):0,""/ge;($r,$t)=&bdiv($r,256),$_=pack(C,$t).$_ while$w--+1-2*$d;print}
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

We live in hope!
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

HYUFD said:

The 3 million or whatever who are watching have made up their minds already I v strongly suspect.
    BBC1 at 9pm a week before polling day on a night when England aren't playing? Probably got the highest viewing figures of any of the debates this campaign by a clear margin
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,068
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

You gone librarian poo?
    brainfuck?
    It would certainly be the correct sort of name...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Eight Fucking Grand

On himself

To lose

The fact you pay someone's wages doesn't entitle you to any say whatsoever in how they spend them.

This is all puritanism and ludicrous moral panic.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,194

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

You gone librarian poo?
    brainfuck?

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

To be fair c was always called a "worn" language write once read never though not as bad as perl or javascript
    I like C. As long as you were careful with using the heap you could do so much with C.

It's way better than that kiddie toy known as Python
    C is brilliant, and will exist as long as conventional programming does. If you're doing embedded code, it was king. And apparently still is.

You just need to be so careful with it.
    I started my career in C and still love it, the power to shoot both your feet off however was strong
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,397
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

Not the 25% who have already voted.
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

82% to 18% of the undecideds (2019 Tories) went for Sunak according to YouGov.
    Exactly, Rishi did what he needed to squeeze undecided 2019 Tories back into the blue column
  • Options

Stereodog said:

I’m not

SKS fans please explain why your man is having a 75 minute car crash.

He's too polite. Needs more umph.
    Mishal has rinsed Starmer tonight. She's done very well.

Rishi got the better of Mishal by talking over both her and Starmer. Great performance by Rishi. Can it turn the polls?
    She hasn’t done well. She’s treating Sunak like he’s the leader of the opposition. She hasn’t pressed Sunak on a single thing that he’s done or not done in government. She’s allowed herself to be tales over and one of the reasons that Starmer has come off looking worse is that he’s been polite enough to answer the question. Sunak has done well by taking a leaf from the Trump book on debating.
    I don't think Starmer has done worse, I think he's come across calm and like a potential next Prime Minister which is his objective.

He doesn't need to be shrill.
    Oh come off it Rishi jockeyed Starmer. He was sublime. Starmer was too polite and got the mother and father of all spankings from both Rishi and Mishal.
    Get a life.
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

HYUFD said:

What each side wants is some nice clips for social media. They'll get those clips, they'll float around TwIxTok for a couple of days and be used in the short campaign, then everyone will forget about them.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,343

Do we get a Poll on who won that

If its not Sunak by a decent margin the Tories are going to get anhilated.

Clear win for Sunak IMO

It does not make any realistic difference. Starmer will be the next PM.
    He will yes
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

You gone librarian poo?
    brainfuck?
    Consider

do 'bigint.pl';($_,$n)=@ARGV;s/^.(..)*$/0$&/;($k=unpack('B*',pack('H*',$_)))=~
    s/^0*//;$x=0;$z=$n=~s/./$x=&badd(&bmul($x,16),hex$&)/ge;while(read(STDIN,$_,$w
    =((2*$d-1+$z)&~1)/2)){$r=1;$_=substr($_."\0"x$w,$c=0,$w);s/.|\n/$c=&badd(&bmul
    ($c,256),ord$&)/ge;$_=$k;s/./$r=&bmod(&bmul($r,$r),$x),$&?$r=&bmod(&bmul($r,$c
    ),$x):0,""/ge;($r,$t)=&bdiv($r,256),$_=pack(C,$t).$_ while$w--+1-2*$d;print}
    Yes, but Brainfuck looks like this:

++++++++[>++++[>++>+++>+++>+<<<<-]>+>+>->>+[<]<-]>>.>---.+++++++..+++.>>.<-.<.+++.------.--------.>>+.>++.

That's a "hello world" program.
    https://esolangs.org/wiki/Brainfuck
  • Options
    SNP and Lib Dems on BBC 1 now. I’d sooner fire a nail gun into my testes than listen to this pair of buffoons. So it’s off to YouTube.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,795
    boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

It will be interesting in the future to find out if Rishi was suppressed and told to behave in a certain way before tonight and then cut loose or if he was running things before and then tonight he was instructed to behave a different way.

Personally I found that tonight he was at his most natural. It wasn’t forced and angry it was from the heart.

I know lucky and others hate him but ultimately there is a small tax/gov politician there who has been hampered by events.

A sliding doors will never be possible but if he won this one then I think the country would end up more towards the trusted small tax etc when it was safe.

He’s not the enemy.
    He's the one who has increased taxes to record levels.

He's the one who has increased redistribution (welfare) to record levels.

He's the one behind the Triple Lock Plus.

Its not events, or Covid, or Ukraine behind any of that.

If you want to cut welfare, you need to cut the Triple Lock.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,324

Scott_xP said:

Eight Fucking Grand

On himself

To lose

The fact you pay someone's wages doesn't entitle you to any say whatsoever in how they spend them.

It does if he acts in a way contrary to our interests, which would correspond to a fair proportion of his voters. Like a jockey nobbling the horse.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

Not the 25% who have already voted.
    Most of them will be pensioners and already Tory, it is 35-65 year olds who are the swing voters who will mainly vote on polling day
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,399
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

At this stage, you will be happy with that, I assume.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,833
    Daisy cooper needs a tailor to sort out her trousers. And stay off the speed.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207
    That's 1 minute and 23 seconds of my life I won't be getting back.

That's how much "debate" I watched.

What is the point of these? Seriously - the reason we complain about our politics and our democracy is that this is how the tv companies have reduced it, to a pointless argument which you can witness in a boozer or club most nights.

Why do we have to have these ludicrous spectacles? Does it in any way convince anyone of anything? How in any way does it convince anyone of the worthiness of either to be Prime Minister?

We need to do this differently, sensibly and respectfully and in that way maybe our own political discourse will improve.
  • Options
    Taz said:

SNP and Lib Dems on BBC 1 now. I’d sooner fire a nail gun into my testes than listen to this pair of buffoons. So it’s off to YouTube.

You're broadcasting the nailgun thing on YT?
    Link?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Pagan2 said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

You gone librarian poo?
    brainfuck?

Pagan2 said:

ydoethur said:

Fuxsake.

To be fair c was always called a "worn" language write once read never though not as bad as perl or javascript
    I like C. As long as you were careful with using the heap you could do so much with C.

It's way better than that kiddie toy known as Python
    C is brilliant, and will exist as long as conventional programming does. If you're doing embedded code, it was king. And apparently still is.

You just need to be so careful with it.
    I started my career in C and still love it, the power to shoot both your feet off however was strong
    I wrote a test data parser tool using C when I was a grad because the company refused to issue me a C++ or Java dev kit license. A nice crash course in pointers and what happens when you accidentally run them off the end of your string and into unindexed memory.
  • Options
    GrandcanyonGrandcanyon Posts: 105

The Georgians are leading Portugal and from what I can ascertain that will change England’s opponents in the R16 to Slovakia?

England have a doddle of a draw now. Because Portugal were already guaranteed top though this sort of format could lend itself to match fixing though im sure its all above board.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Taz said:

Link?
    Amazing what excites people. Listening to Mr Sunak has this effect?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,295

Stereodog said:

I’m not

Rishi got the better of Mishal by talking over both her and Starmer. Great performance by Rishi. Can it turn the polls?
    She hasn’t done well. She’s treating Sunak like he’s the leader of the opposition. She hasn’t pressed Sunak on a single thing that he’s done or not done in government. She’s allowed herself to be tales over and one of the reasons that Starmer has come off looking worse is that he’s been polite enough to answer the question. Sunak has done well by taking a leaf from the Trump book on debating.
    I don't think Starmer has done worse, I think he's come across calm and like a potential next Prime Minister which is his objective.

Oh come off it Rishi jockeyed Starmer. He was sublime. Starmer was too polite and got the mother and father of all spankings from both Rishi and Mishal.
    Get a life.
    Did you watch? No, I thought not.
  • Options

boulay said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

HYUFD said:

He’s not the enemy.
    He's the one who has increased taxes to record levels.

He's the one who has increased redistribution (welfare) to record levels.

He's the one behind the Triple Lock Plus.

Its not events, or Covid, or Ukraine behind any of that.

If you want to cut welfare, you need to cut the Triple Lock.
    Not to mention the ludicrous smoking ban and conscription wheeze.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,152
    Georgia beat Portugal 2-0!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,061
    BBC poll of polls

Lab 41%
    Con 20%
    Ref 16%
    LD 11%
    Green 6%
    SNP 3%
    PC 1%
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,229
    stodge said:

What is the point of these? Seriously - the reason we complain about our politics and our democracy is that this is how the tv companies have reduced it, to a pointless argument which you can witness in a boozer or club most nights.

Why do we have to have these ludicrous spectacles? Does it in any way convince anyone of anything? How in any way does it convince anyone of the worthiness of either to be Prime Minister?

We need to do this differently, sensibly and respectfully and in that way maybe our own political discourse will improve.

The one on one interviews were far better as a format
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Eight Fucking Grand

On himself

To lose

It does if he acts in a way contrary to our interests, which would correspond to a fair proportion of his voters. Like a jockey nobbling the horse.
    There's no sense in which he's done that or anything like it.

The bloke reckons he'll lose, but at least he might get a nice holiday with his winnings.

That's telling, but the rage from people who didn't give a flying fuck about Paddy Power's profit margin ten days ago is ludicrous.
  • Options
    James_MJames_M Posts: 89
    Clive and Laura need to work on this double act. They keep speaking over each other.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,242

NEW THREAD

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,502
    I think Sunak edged the debate but found his constant mention of surrender grating.

I think Starmer missed a few opportunities . Sunak felt like he had nothing to lose and went for it but interrupted far too much which became annoying.

Problem for Sunak is most postal votes will be in already and he’s trying to make up ground far too late .
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Taz said:

Link?
    I didn't watch. I've only got so much capacity to watch people humiliate themselves live. I've avoided all the debates because I've been saving myself for the nailgun broadcast.
  • Options
    edited June 26

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

At this stage, you will be happy with that, I assume.
    Given today's polls showing 41% Labour 20% Tory 15% Reform if by polling day we got to something like an exit poll of 36% Labour 29% Tory 11% Reform after this debate that would be like 2017 was for Labour for Tories. That now at the absolute top end of hopes though
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,881
    spudgfsh said:
    Starmer winning on all the supplementary questions: https://x.com/yougov/status/1806068008407683294
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,360
    HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

Teehee.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,142

Eight Fucking Grand

On himself

To lose

Well, who better to be chair of the All Party Parliamentary Group for Betting and Gaming?

His Dad was Doncaster mayor (for the English Democrats, following "Donnygate") and was also rather fond of the racecourse.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Taz said:

Link?
    Did I say YouTube. Meant Xvideo.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Eight Fucking Grand

On himself

To lose

There's no sense in which he's done that or anything like it.

The bloke reckons he'll lose, but at least he might get a nice holiday with his winnings.

That's telling, but the rage from people who didn't give a flying fuck about Paddy Power's profit margin ten days ago is ludicrous.
    It's an interesting issue, though. The point is that he's supposed not only to be clean but to ibe seen to be clean. That means no conflicts of interest. Voting against himself is seen as dodgy, whjich it is because it is a potential conflict with his duties to his voters, certainly his Tory voters, and implies he isn't trying (even if most of them want him out in the event).
  • Options

Stereodog said:

I’m not

Get a life.
    Did you watch? No, I thought not.
    I saw about two minutes as I was flicking over to the football after coming home from the pub. But I didn’t need to watch it having read your incisive arse-licking/analysis.
  • Options

England have a doddle of a draw now. Because Portugal were already guaranteed top though this sort of format could lend itself to match fixing though im sure its all above board.
    Yeah, because we’ve done so well so far putting the Slovaks to the sword will be a doddle.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Taz said:

Link?
    I didn't watch. I've only got so much capacity to watch people humiliate themselves live. I've avoided all the debates because I've been saving myself for the nailgun broadcast.
    Not you, I was referring to Taz!
  • Options
    boulay said:

Daisy cooper needs a tailor to sort out her trousers. And stay off the speed.

She can't have been worse than Rishi, surely?

(Actually - does he take ADHD meds? If his prescription is wrong, it might go some way to explain his behaviour)
  • Options
    stodge said:

Next time round someone should have the guts to do a Lincoln-Douglas format debate. Perhaps not sixty minutes followed by ninety minutes of response and a thirty minute rejoinder, but use the format for the questions. Six, nine and three for each topic going back and forth between the opponents. Cut the non-speaking participant's microphone to stop the endless interruptions.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,476
    Scott_xP said:

@annabotting
    ·
    23s

Rishi Sunak - 50%
    Keir Starmer - 50%

If it was a balanced sample, that’s a win for Sunak, against the poll ratings. But surely won’t make much difference; this election has hardly had ordinary folk rushing to watch as much of it as possible
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I missed the debate. I was in the pub. Who won?

Me

Was anyone with any sense not in the pub tonight?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,888
    Zemeckis's new film, 'Here', looks intriguing from the trailer:

https://x.com/FilmUpdates/status/1805952070438056099

A film all taken with the same camera perspective (*)

(*) I daresay someone who knowns anything about film knows a better term
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,161
    Andy_JS said:

8 bags. On himself to lose. Nothing to see here, its "nobody's business" he claims.

Forget the debate. You what we're going to be doing between here and polling day? Discovering which Tories are next under the cosh for impropriety...

Hello RP, do you have any more updates on the campaign in AN & ME?
    Better than the handful of MRP polls suggest. Great engagement on our social media which we're pushing hard. Hearing the other 2 aren't happy that we're actually campaigning. Watching especially the cybernats getting increasingly angry.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,072

Trailer reminds me of the scene in the Time Machine - the view of the shop over the way.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 730

A play?
  • Options
    MustaphaMondeoMustaphaMondeo Posts: 117

Taz said:

Labour run Nottingham City Council is on the verge of bankruptcy what will you do to reverse Councils going bankrupt

SKS Sweet FA
    Sunak same as SKS

What an intellectually bankrupt GE we are having with these 2 Parties

Why should taxpayers in the country bail out councils, whatever their politics, who have gone bankrupt through their own ineptitude. Fuck them. The council tax payers voted them in, they can live with the consequences of that.

Mad as cheese.

Uk gov cuts sure start centres. They were warned there would be long term costs. Struggling parents lose support.

UK gov tells councils to sell children’s homes to balance the books because of cuts.

Hedge fund buys council children’s homes and puts up prices.

Horrible number of children of the previously lost generation are feral and need around the clock care.

How exactly is that the fault of council tax payers?

PS.the costs are sometimes unbelievably astronomical. It can be as much as £2m to protect one very difficult to manage child 24hrs a day for a year.

And then there are the costs being paid by the child. The conservatives deserve a bad result next week.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 875
    Am I alone in thinking the debate last night was a complete waste of time. We have MRPs saying the Tories could even finish fourth. What was the relevance of Starmer v Sunak, Sunak is an irrelevance, Everyone knows Labour will walk it, the only interest is in who becomes Leader of the Opposition, Davey or Farage? They were not there..