Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And From The Other Side of the Pond… – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,776
    Leon said:

Fffs said:

Leon said:

I’m gonna sit in the bathroom

Good call. You've never felt truly alive until you've had a wank during an air raid.
    Actually not a bad idea
    Time for that fabled Gazette piece A Shit and a Wank Under Fire?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,109

Heathener said:

Lab 44%
    Con 20%
    LibDem 10%
    Reform 15%
    Green 6%

Labour lead 24%

@ Techne
    Fieldwork 5-6 June

CON/LAB/LDM all down by 1 and RFM up by 3.
    RE polls pointing to Ref advances:
    Seems to be less a case of Con2019ers going Labour now going Reform, but rather former apathetics and undecided coming back out to vote, but vote for Ref.

https://x.com/BNHWalker/status/1798763752453754952?t=zIAn6Pkb2Qcr2u_bRb3Rbg&s=19

If Ben is right, then turnout may be ticking up.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,726
    ClippP said:

ToryJim said:

How is Sunak so crap? Is it the wealth that insulates him from reality?

It could be that he’s deliberately trying to get the Tories massacred.
    Or it could be that he does not feel personally involved with D Day. How many members of his family were killed at Dunkirk? Or landed in Normandy Or were killed in the Blitz?
    The same as mine? Being zero?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,662
    AlsoLei said:

Scott_xP said:

I return to a comment from earlier today.

Peter Mandelson suggested the party should seriously consider binning Richi before the election

The events of today demonstrate why

Who was it who predicted that Isaac Levido would be jettisoned to try to shore up Rishi's position? I think they might have been on to something.

It won't improve matters if it happens, of course - Levido is only a symptom of the problem, not the cause.

The party need to accept that this is it, there's no escaping what's coming. The leadership should shut up and stop trying to stir things up, whilst the constituencies look to their own defences. Following any other path is going to make things worse, not better.
    The issue is. Just like the mid 90's, they genuinely believe they are the voice of Middle England.
    They aren't. They can't change tack whilst that dissonance persists.
    Only a couple of cataclysmic defeats can relieve them of the burden of that illusion.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,689
    edited June 6
    Pro_Rata said:

AlsoLei said:

Scott_xP said:

@implausibleblog
    Wow! #BBCQT

Mark Harper repeats Rishi Sunak's lie about the £2,000 Labour tax

Fiona Bruce calls him out on it

Mark Harper doubles down

Fiona Bruce reads out the letter

Mark Harper triples down on it

Shabana Mahmood jumps in and calls him out

Look at Mark Harpers face - he knows he's telling lies and yet he carries on, Shameful

That's the point that MoonRabbit's been making: Rishi told those lies and refused to back down - so now senior Tories are stuck having to repeat them too if they don't want the story to suddenly become one of "Tory splits".

And it's going to get worse and worse for them every time the lies are repeated.

They really should have climbed down yesterday while it was still just about possible to do so, and relied on the £2000 figure sticking in people's minds.
    I agree with your post. 🥰 Except the bit about Tories ever had the chance to avoid this mess, once Rishi had firmly lead with it.

And it’s not just the 2K Lie - every Conservative has to hold the line on boat crossings are down, waiting lists are down, pensioners have never paid tax, Rwanda will be a fabulous deterrent, over and over till election day, as these answers are now the actual spine of the Conservative campaign. 🫣

And with the 2K Lie, the fact the Civil Service immediately called Rishi a liar is the take out from it this week, but far more damaging in long run is those 12yr old SPADs whose never had to work for a living in their lives who created this, only got it to up to 2K figure by only working families paying for it, totally ignoring the rest of the tax system and how it works to fund Tory pledges. The spectator piece leapt on this part of the madness straightaway, because the daftness of saying that was visible from space. It’s dragged in “how much do all these Tory pledge's cost in the fantasy world just a subset of tax payers pay them”.

Sure there is lies and spin at elections, and the best of campaigns work and are legendary, but it has to be more sophisticated and subtle than something that instantly falls apart, into this “properly taking voters as mugs with your never ending lies” narrative in just 24hrs!

If Cummings clever £350M “gross on a bus” is Grad A version how to do it, this was more like D minus.
    Interesting that on debate night SKS was called out for letting that ride unchallenged for several minutes. Yet the challenge, when it did come, after multiple repetitions of the fabrication, was very forceful and more prominent for allowing the repetition to occur and now it is causing the Tories issues.

I can't say for sure whether Starmer got lucky or was doing some Jason Beer let the lie sit there a while thing, but it has worked out.

Who do we reckon won the debate now?
    It's hard to tell, because the polls are affected by Farage's entry into the fray, but I still suspect that when you see, "shameful Tory lies about a Labour plan to increase taxes by £2000," all most voters will hear and remember is, "mimble wimble blah Labour plan to increase taxes flibble dibble doo."

I think that will reduce the number of Labour gains, but I'm not sure whether it will be a marginal difference or a larger one.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,220
    Welsh national soccer team scrape a draw against the footballing powerhouse that is…………..Gibraltar

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/cd11j83n5jjt
  • Options

Who are the other main fruitloops, er, public spokesmen and women or strategists, in Reform, except Farage and Tice?

I never hear of any.

There aren't any. If they can sustain even half of some of their poll rating based on so little public input it will be a great return.

Destroying the Tories being the main goal anyway, and more prominent people probably wouldn't help any.

Maybe Anderson hopes for prominence though.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,856
    edited June 6
    Average of the 7 polls since Farage's announcement.

Lab 42.6%
    Con 21.7%
    Ref 14.7% (includes the first one which had them on just 9%)
    LD 9.6%
    Grn 6.3%
    SNP 3.1%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2024_United_Kingdom_general_election#National_poll_results

Baxter:

Lab 496
    Con 69
    LD 47
    Grn 2
    SNP 14
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ClippP said:

ToryJim said:

Or it could be that he does not feel personally involved with D Day. How many members of his family were killed at Dunkirk? Or landed in Normandy Or were killed in the Blitz?
    None of mine either. Indeed none of my family fought in the war, being either too old or too young, though my Grandfather was in a Wigan Home Guard unit. Tough men, all miners exempted from regular service.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

AlsoLei said:

Scott_xP said:

@implausibleblog
    Wow! #BBCQT

Mark Harper doubles down

Look at Mark Harpers face - he knows he's telling lies and yet he carries on, Shameful

That's the point that MoonRabbit's been making: Rishi told those lies and refused to back down - so now senior Tories are stuck having to repeat them too if they don't want the story to suddenly become one of "Tory splits".

And it's going to get worse and worse for them every time the lies are repeated.

They really should have climbed down yesterday while it was still just about possible to do so, and relied on the £2000 figure sticking in people's minds.
    I agree with your post. 🥰 Except the bit about Tories ever had the chance to avoid this mess, once Rishi had firmly lead with it.

And it’s not just the 2K Lie - every Conservative has to hold the line on boat crossings are down, waiting lists are down, pensioners have never paid tax, Rwanda will be a fabulous deterrent, over and over till election day, as these answers are now the actual spine of the Conservative campaign. 🫣

And with the 2K Lie, the fact the Civil Service immediately called Rishi a liar is the take out from it this week, but far more damaging in long run is those 12yr old SPADs whose never had to work for a living in their lives who created this, only got it to up to 2K figure by only working families paying for it, totally ignoring the rest of the tax system and how it works to fund Tory pledges. The spectator piece leapt on this part of the madness straightaway, because the daftness of saying that was visible from space. It’s dragged in “how much do all these Tory pledge's cost in the fantasy world just a subset of tax payers pay them”.

Sure there is lies and spin at elections, and the best of campaigns work and are legendary, but it has to be more sophisticated and subtle than something that instantly falls apart, into this “properly taking voters as mugs with your never ending lies” narrative in just 24hrs!

If Cummings clever £350M “gross on a bus” is Grad A version how to do it, this was more like D minus.
    Interesting that on debate night SKS was called out for letting that ride unchallenged for several minutes. Yet the challenge, when it did come, after multiple repetitions of the fabrication, was very forceful and more prominent for allowing the repetition to occur and now it is causing the Tories issues.

I can't say for sure whether Starmer got lucky or was doing some Jason Beer let the lie sit there a while thing, but it has worked out.

Still about even.

But the post-debate is always going to be a separate thing, and it doesn't yet feel like Sunak has been able to build off it at all, whereas Starmer is blunting what might have cut through.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,697
    Ratters said:

It seems to me the first major move in the polls during the campaign is to be an uptick in Reform support, at the expense of other major parties. Too early to say the mix, but not a material drop in the Labour lead given the Tory vote percentage is now perilously low in absolute terms.

The most notable point is this is precisely the opposite change that was predicted by many: that a Tory squeeze of Reform voters would close the gap meaningfully.

Will the momentum last? Well, the good news is I think any Farage party has a ceiling of support at around 20% or so in a general election. He's a divisive figure even amongst those on the right, and his party has no real depth in the way even the Lib Dems do at a local or national level.

But even support at those levels risks an extinction level event for the Tories: with the Lib Dems and Labour making unlikely wins in their respective areas of strength on the back of an inefficient Reform vote.

Sunak needs Farage to be sidelined in the campaign. If only he hadn't majored his campaign on Rwanda and National Service, two ludicrous schemes where Farage can always outdo him.

Starmer can keep his head down and win by default. But the lower vote %, if not lower vote count, may raise questions as to how strong a mandate he has vs. how strong a rejection of the Tories we've witnessed.

Davey should just keep doing what he's doing. He's the most likable of the four, but the least well known.

Great post. Excellent summary of the state of play imho.

And on that fine way to end I’ll wish you all a good night.

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,997
    Dopermean said:

Scott_xP said:

Richi is such a tiny, tiny man.

I thought BoZo was an embarrassment.

This is somehow worse.

Bozza was, and is, a bad man. One example of his malignancy is that he catapulted Truss and Sunak to the front of the line of succession.

Cruel to the country, cruel to the party, but also cruel to Liz and Rishi. Because neither of them was up to the job.
    Post 2019 GE which Conservative MP was? He'd driven out experienced rivals but the MPs never mind the members, weren't going to select Phillip Hammond or any other reasonable, experienced figure.
    I think Gove might have worked. Radical but also prepared to do the work.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,959
    The thing about Sunak's £2k Labour tax allegation is this, and I don't think it's been mentioned enough. The 'lie' is that Sunak intended, during the debate, for everybody to think Labour's alleged tax hike would be £2k per year, rather than £500 a year - i.e. over four years. And the Tories, including Hunt, continue to frame it as £2k rather than £500. £10 a week isn't a great deal; £40 a week is.

Regardless of the fact that the figure is pure conjecture anyway (I expect Labour to raise taxes, obviously), it's this sleight of hand that makes it a 'lie'.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,729
    See if this works. Visually unimpressive. Just a hint of tracer fire. You need the audio for the full effect

https://imgur.com/gallery/OexI6bW

Odessa is now huddled in shelters - and bathrooms
  • Options
    edited June 6
    kle4 said:

ClippP said:

ToryJim said:

Mine too.
    I'm not aware of a relative who was even in the Forces at all, let alone in WW2, until my only brother earlier this century.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Welsh national soccer team scrape a draw against the footballing powerhouse that is…………..Gibraltar

I feel bad for the nearly 1000 people who watched it.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,281
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Lab 44%
    Con 20%
    LibDem 10%
    Reform 15%
    Green 6%

Labour lead 24%

@ Techne
    Fieldwork 5-6 June

Is there a Yougov post debate out tonight too?
    We've already had one, shirley?

https://x.com/BritainElects/status/1798675596416823667
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,447
    biggles said:

Matt this evening is another triumph. He deserves to be in a better read paper.

Unnecessarily snarky given the day.

:disappointed:
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,388
    dixiedean said:

Dopermean said:

Scott_xP said:

Richi is such a tiny, tiny man.

I thought BoZo was an embarrassment.

This is somehow worse.

Bozza was, and is, a bad man. One example of his malignancy is that he catapulted Truss and Sunak to the front of the line of succession.

Cruel to the country, cruel to the party, but also cruel to Liz and Rishi. Because neither of them was up to the job.
    Post 2019 GE which Conservative MP was? He'd driven out experienced rivals but the MPs never mind the members, weren't going to select Phillip Hammond or any other reasonable, experienced figure.
    Gosh. A real sign that Tory life comes at you fast.
    I'd completely erased Hammond from my memory.
    To be fair, old Spreadsheet Phil was never that memorable in the first place.

But the only one who might have made a decent fist of it was Gove. He might have done OK in the "minding the shop and keeping the nutters out" role post-defeat as well.

He might not have been goodz but he'd have been better than all this.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,997
    On topic, 2.9 is great value. I was all green but no longer.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,195
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

ClippP said:

ToryJim said:

None of mine either. Indeed none of my family fought in the war, being either too old or too young, though my Grandfather was in a Wigan Home Guard unit. Tough men, all miners exempted from regular service.
    Much the same here - though my father was a trainee matelot in Plymouth and recalls being oujt in the trenches all night during the Cromwell invasion scare.

And although I don't think any Indian Army (in the old sense) units served in NWE, they did serve in the Med/Africa/Italy and possibly South France. And CBI of course.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

It seems to me the first major move in the polls during the campaign is to be an uptick in Reform support, at the expense of other major parties. Too early to say the mix, but not a material drop in the Labour lead given the Tory vote percentage is now perilously low in absolute terms.

The most notable point is this is precisely the opposite change that was predicted by many: that a Tory squeeze of Reform voters would close the gap meaningfully.

Will the momentum last? Well, the good news is I think any Farage party has a ceiling of support at around 20% or so in a general election. He's a divisive figure even amongst those on the right, and his party has no real depth in the way even the Lib Dems do at a local or national level.

But even support at those levels risks an extinction level event for the Tories: with the Lib Dems and Labour making unlikely wins in their respective areas of strength on the back of an inefficient Reform vote.

Sunak needs Farage to be sidelined in the campaign. If only he hadn't majored his campaign on Rwanda and National Service, two ludicrous schemes where Farage can always outdo him.

Starmer can keep his head down and win by default. But the lower vote %, if not lower vote count, may raise questions as to how strong a mandate he has vs. how strong a rejection of the Tories we've witnessed.

Davey should just keep doing what he's doing. He's the most likable of the four, but the least well known.

LDs need to plug along and hope to seize on the brief moments of attention they will get, or an implosion of support from a side which might come in their direction.

The latter seems unlikely, so boring as it is a workmanlike campaign, focused on key areas and hoping to sweep a few dozen seats in the wake of a Labour landslide is a solid aim.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,324
    edited June 6
    Leon said:

See if this works. Visually unimpressive. Just a hint of tracer fire. You need the audio for the full effect

Edit - nah you don’t want my wittering. You’re actually there.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,111
    🚨 NEW: The Green Party is now reviewing a dossier containing almost 20 candidates who shared "antisemitic slurs and conspiracy theories" ahead of tomorrow's candidate deadline

[@thetimes]

The Greens should probably be concerned about the ones not in the dossier as if there are any and they blow up post closure of nominations that would be unfortunate.
  • Options
    Leon said:

It works
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,604
    tyson said:

How did the Tories manage to go from Cameron to May to Johnson to Truss to Sunak?

As someone said earlier, you can see now why Tory members went for Truss. They weren't as daft as we thought.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-leadership-debate-poll-tugendhat-winner-b2124458.html

First Tory debate - public reaction Tugendhat 36% vs Truss 6% - Tories pick Truss and of course she had no public backing for the extreme changes she wanted to rapidly introduce....
  • Options
    Leon said:

Do you like putting yourself in dangerous situations?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,006
    kle4 said:

ClippP said:

ToryJim said:

My maternal family lost a fair number during the war. Big old Wiltshire family, all the boys went off to fight and most didn’t come back. I have read widely over my life about both World Wars. I always try to imagine what it would have been like, whether I would have been able to do what so many did. The tragedy is that 80 years later we still live in a world where an evil dictator can command his armies to invade another country.
    On Sunak, I find it intersecting how harsh the reaction is on here. I flicked to the BBC home page and saw nothing about him leaving early. He was there, he attended. So he didn’t also attend a ceremony at Omaha beach, which was in the American sector (albeit many Brits and Commonwealth fought there in the Navy). The internet creates echo chambers and right now PB is just that.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,344
    Leon said:

Now you know what Kate Adie and Jeremy Bowen have to contend with. Although I don’t expect they can knap flints.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Lab 44%
    Con 20%
    LibDem 10%
    Reform 15%
    Green 6%

Labour lead 24%

@ Techne
    Fieldwork 5-6 June

I missed that one. Oh dear...
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,481
    edited June 6
    According to Dan Wootton The Sun is likely to go with 'no endorsement' for the GE
  • Options
    ClippP said:

ToryJim said:

I think Casino is right on this. It probably won't prove to be a big issue beyond tomorrow lunchtime when the agenda moves on.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,220
    ToryJim said:

🚨 NEW: The Green Party is now reviewing a dossier containing almost 20 candidates who shared "antisemitic slurs and conspiracy theories" ahead of tomorrow's candidate deadline

[@thetimes]

The Greens should probably be concerned about the ones not in the dossier as if there are any and they blow up post closure of nominations that would be unfortunate.

If the greens turf them out they will probably get a gig on test match special.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Lab 42.6%
    Con 21.7%
    LD 9.6%
    Grn 6.3%
    SNP 3.1%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2024_United_Kingdom_general_election#National_poll_results

Baxter:

Lab 496
    Con 69
    LD 47
    Grn 2
    SNP 14

The one on 9% had fieldwork the vast majority of which was pre the Farage announcement. It really shouldn't be included.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Didn’t Gibraltar push the Scots pretty hard earlier this week?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Lab 44%
    Con 20%
    LibDem 10%
    Reform 15%
    Green 6%

Labour lead 24%

@ Techne
    Fieldwork 5-6 June

Thats yesterdays poll if they hadnt changed methodology its not a new poll
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

AlsoLei said:

Scott_xP said:

I return to a comment from earlier today.

Peter Mandelson suggested the party should seriously consider binning Richi before the election

The events of today demonstrate why

Who was it who predicted that Isaac Levido would be jettisoned to try to shore up Rishi's position? I think they might have been on to something.

It won't improve matters if it happens, of course - Levido is only a symptom of the problem, not the cause.

The party need to accept that this is it, there's no escaping what's coming. The leadership should shut up and stop trying to stir things up, whilst the constituencies look to their own defences. Following any other path is going to make things worse, not better.
    The issue is. Just like the mid 90's, they genuinely believe they are the voice of Middle England.
    They aren't. They can't change tack whilst that dissonance persists.
    Only a couple of cataclysmic defeats can relieve them of the burden of that illusion.
    They are the voice of Middle England over 70s.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,576
    @johnestevens

Confirmed: Rishi Sunak returned from D-Day for ITV interview, @PaulBrandITV says on News At Ten
  • Options

The thing about Sunak's £2k Labour tax allegation is this, and I don't think it's been mentioned enough. The 'lie' is that Sunak intended, during the debate, for everybody to think Labour's alleged tax hike would be £2k per year, rather than £500 a year - i.e. over four years. And the Tories, including Hunt, continue to frame it as £2k rather than £500. £10 a week isn't a great deal; £40 a week is.

Regardless of the fact that the figure is pure conjecture anyway (I expect Labour to raise taxes, obviously), it's this sleight of hand that makes it a 'lie'.

This kind of thing has a long history. IIRC Gordon Brown was very fond of adding several years increases into one figure in the same way.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,247

Taz said:

Didn’t Gibraltar push the Scots pretty hard earlier this week?
    More like Scotland were toothless. We'll be lucky to score as high as nil in the Euros.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,020
    Andy_JS said:

ClippP said:

ToryJim said:

I think Casino is right on this. It probably won't prove to be a big issue beyond tomorrow lunchtime when the agenda moves on.
    More than likely to Sunak's next disaster.
  • Options
    @mikeysmith

So @paulbrandITV says “today was the slot we were offered. We don’t know why”.

Seems to suggest leaving D-Day events to do a TV interview was Rishi Sunak’s idea.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

[@thetimes]

Once candidates are confirmed I suspect all parties will be found to have candidates who have said stupid or offensive things on Social Media. That's what happens with rushed selections.

Why all parties didn't get this sorted earlier in the year in case of a May election puzzles me.
  • Options

True, however governments do this all the time especially in elections. New Labour often rolled multi year spending commitments up to make them seem more impressive. You get away with it when you’re in the ascendancy and not so much when not. It isn’t so much an issue because it’s dishonest, though it is, it’s an issue because the Tories are in trouble.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,995

Sensational win for the USA cricket team. Disaster for Ladbrokes.

Reviewing the line-up it largely looks like Pakistan diaspora v. Pakistan to me.
    Once upon a time I used to play for a pub cricket team that went each year to play a game in some foreign field - Cuba, Italy, Vietnam, any non-cricketing country that would have us. It was huge fun, but rather disappointingly the opposition invariably consisted of the India/Pakistan diaspora.

And they invariably won.
    A friend of mine did a post doc in Canada and played cricket while there. The team was nine from the Caribbean, one Aussie and my mate (from Bury). Played on coconut mats on concrete, with an outfield so long anything hit along the ground went about a yard.
    Great fun.

Another friend played when in Glasgow. Many were of Pakistani background, sadly for my friend who views cricket in much the same way I do - a thirst generator pre pub…
    We had similar ground problems in Havana, but the greater distraction was the hookers. There were far more of them on the boundary than on the square.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,195

According to Dan Wootton The Sun is likely to go with 'no endorsement' for the GE

It's the Sun what will wiff it?
  • Options

Reviewing the line-up it largely looks like Pakistan diaspora v. Pakistan to me.
    Once upon a time I used to play for a pub cricket team that went each year to play a game in some foreign field - Cuba, Italy, Vietnam, any non-cricketing country that would have us. It was huge fun, but rather disappointingly the opposition invariably consisted of the India/Pakistan diaspora.

And they invariably won.
    A friend of mine did a post doc in Canada and played cricket while there. The team was nine from the Caribbean, one Aussie and my mate (from Bury). Played on coconut mats on concrete, with an outfield so long anything hit along the ground went about a yard.
    Great fun.

Another friend played when in Glasgow. Many were of Pakistani background, sadly for my friend who views cricket in much the same way I do - a thirst generator pre pub…
    We had similar ground problems in Havana, but the greater distraction was the hookers. There were far more of them on the boundary than on the square.
    Sounds like you were Havana great time.

(Sorry)
  • Options

kle4 said:

ClippP said:

ToryJim said:

My maternal family lost a fair number during the war. Big old Wiltshire family, all the boys went off to fight and most didn’t come back. I have read widely over my life about both World Wars. I always try to imagine what it would have been like, whether I would have been able to do what so many did. The tragedy is that 80 years later we still live in a world where an evil dictator can command his armies to invade another country.
    On Sunak, I find it intersecting how harsh the reaction is on here. I flicked to the BBC home page and saw nothing about him leaving early. He was there, he attended. So he didn’t also attend a ceremony at Omaha beach, which was in the American sector (albeit many Brits and Commonwealth fought there in the Navy). The internet creates echo chambers and right now PB is just that.
    I agree re the reaction.

But remember the Tories are targeting the boomers - who grew up on D-Day and who take it very seriously in terms of formal anniversaries with HMtQ/K and all else. Hence the remarks on ConHome etc.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,218

Pro_Rata said:

AlsoLei said:

Scott_xP said:

@implausibleblog
    Wow! #BBCQT

Mark Harper doubles down

It's hard to tell, because the polls are affected by Farage's entry into the fray, but I still suspect that when you see, "shameful Tory lies about a Labour plan to increase taxes by £2000" all most voters will hear and remember is, "mimble wimble blah Labour plan to increase taxes flibble dibble doo".

I think that will reduce the number of Labour gains, but I'm not sure whether it will be a marginal difference or a larger one.
    I think that's how it would have worked out if Sunak had dropped the matter yesterday - the £2,000 figure would have stuck in people's minds even when the details had been forgotten.

But he's endangered that with his decision to double down on the lies, and by tetchily bickering about it with ITN. It's getting to the point that people's memories will centre on "Rishi lied, then dumped D-Day to lie again" rather than "£2,000".

Labour should make "Rishi's Tax Lies" a mantra for the rest of the campaign.
  • Options

And they invariably won.
    Great fun.

Sounds like you were Havana great time.

(Sorry)
    Good, but no cigar.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,801
    kle4 said:

ClippP said:

ToryJim said:

In my case it was one, one and two. So perhaps the end of the Second World War means a bit more to me than it does to you and Richi? And perhaps to many many more.....
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 42.6%
    Con 21.7%
    LD 9.6%
    Grn 6.3%
    SNP 3.1%

Baxter:

Lab 496
    Con 69
    LD 47
    Grn 2
    SNP 14

The one on 9% had fieldwork the vast majority of which was pre the Farage announcement. It really shouldn't be included.
    Okay, thanks. I should have double-checked that.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,262
    Andy_JS said:

ClippP said:

ToryJim said:

If there are potential defectors, it might galvanise them.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    edited June 6
    Pro_Rata said:

AlsoLei said:

Scott_xP said:

@implausibleblog
    Wow! #BBCQT

Mark Harper doubles down

Starmer’s luck is the Conservative Campaign itself. How the 2K Lie was so flimsy and silly it didn’t even survive 24 hours, is just a piece of a jigsaw - of a simple picture of a turd.

At the PO enquiry today, trying to get to the root of what went wrong, it was suggested a leader didn’t like challenge, surrounded themselves with yes boys and girls, and worked in an echo chamber. Read across: this is exactly the same as what has happened at the top of the Conservative Party in the last 5 years. This explains just how it can go so badly wrong.

You may not like Lady Thatcher, but I do so I was give you, that this could never have happened in the 1980s. Lady Thatcher had blunt Yorkshireman called Bernard as head of communications - who Tony Been praised for helping him when in government - who would never have allowed anyone out there to defend a lie as flimsy as this one.

3 polls taken on the debate itself, one narrow win to Rishi, 2 comfortable wins to Starmer, and in supplementaries in all three huge wins for Starmer on trust, honesty, tried to actually answer, as well as economy, NHS. Starmers problem was in the format, just thirty seconds to speak before the buzzer goes and it moves on, your opponent can exploit this by talking over your 30 seconds.

The main debate take out for the history books, is Rishi got through it with quite blatant lies in answer to just about every question, and the days that flowed the debate, those lies have become the main narrative of the whole election campaign.
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 325

Leon said:

Fffs said:

Leon said:

Good call. You've never felt truly alive until you've had a wank during an air raid.
    Actually not a bad idea
    I would reinstate my Gazette subscription for this. Genuinely.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,518
    Andy_JS said:

Lab 42.6%
    Con 21.7%
    LD 9.6%
    Grn 6.3%
    SNP 3.1%

Baxter:

Lab 496
    Con 69
    LD 47
    Grn 2
    SNP 14

No seats for REF at all?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Yes. Inasmuch as I hate being bored

Danger is unboring

But it has to be intellectually interesting danger. Warzones. Drug lords. Remarkable landscapes that are perilous to reach

Just wandering into the wrong lane of the motorway is not attractive, just stupid, selfish and suicidal. I want to know there is a story at the end of my excitement - that it will have value in some form

Odessa is probably close to my limit tho. I’ve now had a chunk of flak/missile land in my street and now this display of Russian air attack from my balcony - in 2 days. And I’ve been here 3
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Lab 44%
    Con 20%
    LibDem 10%
    Reform 15%
    Green 6%

Labour lead 24%

@ Techne
    Fieldwork 5-6 June

Thats yesterdays poll if they hadnt changed methodology its not a new poll
    True but... it's still a YouGov post-debate poll.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Lab 42.6%
    Con 21.7%
    LD 9.6%
    Grn 6.3%
    SNP 3.1%

Baxter:

Lab 496
    Con 69
    LD 47
    Grn 2
    SNP 14

No seats for REF at all?
    Oh dear, never-mind...
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Lab 42.6%
    Con 21.7%
    LD 9.6%
    Grn 6.3%
    SNP 3.1%

Baxter:

Lab 496
    Con 69
    LD 47
    Grn 2
    SNP 14

No seats for REF at all?
    Mr Ross?
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,992
    ToryJim said:

True, however governments do this all the time especially in elections. New Labour often rolled multi year spending commitments up to make them seem more impressive. You get away with it when you’re in the ascendancy and not so much when not. It isn’t so much an issue because it’s dishonest, though it is, it’s an issue because the Tories are in trouble.
    Yes, but Labour is lying about tax. Anyone with half a brain knows they are. They will put them up and not just on "the rich". They are too much in hock to the public sector unions not to need the money to pay for way above inflation pay increases for the non-productive sector that makes up most of their base.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,344

And they invariably won.
    Great fun.

Sounds like you had a rum day.
  • Options
    @mikeysmith

STORY

Fury after Rishi Sunak skips D-Day event with world leaders to do TV interview - leaving British veterans behind

https://x.com/mikeysmith/status/1798828835586404571

@IanDunt

Sunak has the political judgement of a rotting fish carcass discovered at the bottom of a public bin.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@mikeysmith

So @paulbrandITV says “today was the slot we were offered. We don’t know why”.

Seems to suggest leaving D-Day events to do a TV interview was Rishi Sunak’s idea.

Mad, absolutely mad.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,953
    Scott_xP said:

@mikeysmith

STORY

Fury after Rishi Sunak skips D-Day event with world leaders to do TV interview - leaving British veterans behind

@IanDunt

Sunak has the political judgement of a rotting fish carcass discovered at the bottom of a public bin.

Every day that goes by, Tory extinction just starts getting that little bit more plausible.
  • Options

Leon said:

Fffs said:

Leon said:

Actually not a bad idea
    I would reinstate my Gazette subscription for this. Genuinely.
    "Putin ruined my afternoon dump: why I think it is time for America to hand over all the F16 fighters."
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

He wants you to believe that. If he genuinely did, he would go to the frontline. Odessa is relatively safe.
  • Options
    @Keir_Starmer

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we* will remember them.

https://x.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1798829922150125855

*Except Richi. He's back home in bed...
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,218

And it's £500 per working family - if split across all adults, it would have come out at something like £190!

It was such a risky thing to come out with, even the bits that weren't lies or based on dodgy assumptions were wildly over-inflated.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,106

And so the first baby steps towards the sun endorsing Labour is made - 4 weeks to slowly adjust the tone
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 325
    @Foxy I have sent you a DM about pubic hair
  • Options
    ClippP said:

kle4 said:

ClippP said:

ToryJim said:

In my case it was one, one and two. So perhaps the end of the Second World War means a bit more to me than it does to you and Richi? And perhaps to many many more.....
    Arguably there are many out there for who the myths of WW2 are part of their national psyche? Brought up on heroic films (The longest day, the Dambusters), glorious comics, basking in being on the right side of history (no doubt defeating Naziism is a just war), the idea that Britain stood alone in 1940 (not really true - the Empire was steadfast too, and Canada went above and beyond - every Canadian soldier was a volunteer who did not need to be there).
    There is a rich and deep historiography of how the British think about WW2 ( and also to compare with sentiment around WW1 - arguably an equally just war - see Brest-Litovsk for how the Germans would have settled if they had won).
    It’s also interesting how much is made of D-Day, yet little of invading Italy. We had been fighting the Germans in Europe since the autumn of 1943. Al Murray makes the point that the standard story of WW2 for the British is phoney warm Dunkirk, D-Day, Arnhem and then VE Day. Certain events have become the focus, yet it was just as grim to die in the winter mud in January 1945 as on a beach on 6th June.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,106

ToryJim said:

Yes, but Labour is lying about tax. Anyone with half a brain knows they are. They will put them up and not just on "the rich". They are too much in hock to the public sector unions not to need the money to pay for way above inflation pay increases for the non-productive sector that makes up most of their base.
    A sector where pay rises have been so bad that workers now get 30% less compared than private sextor works when you compare 2010 to now.

No wonder anyone who could get a job in the private sector left leaving just the public spirited and lazy workers behind
  • Options
    Latest Tory unfunded* bung to the well off.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/06/tories-pledge-to-raise-pay-threshold-for-child-benefit-charge

* To be paid for by cracking down on tax avoidance.
    Again.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@Keir_Starmer

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we* will remember them.

https://x.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1798829922150125855

*Except Richi. He's back home in bed...

Keir Starmer, the man that wanted to make Jeremy Corbyn, Putin appeaser and alleged anti-semite Prime minister
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

And it's £500 per working family - if split across all adults, it would have come out at something like £190!

It was such a risky thing to come out with, even the bits that weren't lies or based on dodgy assumptions were wildly over-inflated.
    Hang on, I am confused, I am sure this was widely considered by PB Tories to be a stroke of genius by Sunak to win the debate and swing the momentum decisively just a couple of days ago?
  • Options
    Apparently it’s a drone attack. Just started again

“Odesa is under drone attack 🇷🇺 . Explosions are heard in various parts of the city. Odesa in the dark is illuminated by defense rockets 🇺🇦”

https://x.com/mall_atti/status/1798827461041586269?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options

ClippP said:

kle4 said:

ClippP said:

ToryJim said:

Arguably there are many out there for who the myths of WW2 are part of their national psyche? Brought up on heroic films (The longest day, the Dambusters), glorious comics, basking in being on the right side of history (no doubt defeating Naziism is a just war), the idea that Britain stood alone in 1940 (not really true - the Empire was steadfast too, and Canada went above and beyond - every Canadian soldier was a volunteer who did not need to be there).
    There is a rich and deep historiography of how the British think about WW2 ( and also to compare with sentiment around WW1 - arguably an equally just war - see Brest-Litovsk for how the Germans would have settled if they had won).
    It’s also interesting how much is made of D-Day, yet little of invading Italy. We had been fighting the Germans in Europe since the autumn of 1943. Al Murray makes the point that the standard story of WW2 for the British is phoney warm Dunkirk, D-Day, Arnhem and then VE Day. Certain events have become the focus, yet it was just as grim to die in the winter mud in January 1945 as on a beach on 6th June.
    And even less of the campaigns in SE Asia.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/06/tories-pledge-to-raise-pay-threshold-for-child-benefit-charge

Again.

I look forward to the IFS analysis of the Tory manifesto.
  • Options
    Tim Montgomery: "If I lived in Clacton I would definitely vote for Farage".

"He speaks the language of Tory activists"

• Options

ToryJim said:

Neither party is being upfront about the economy and the measures necessary to correct it. The Tories aren’t because in less than a month it’s somebody else’s job. The Labour Party became they know that if they fronted up to how they were going to try to fix things it would frighten the horses. It’s why neither of them are staking much of a claim to my vote.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@mikeysmith

STORY

@IanDunt

Fishi Sunak
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,210
    eek said:

And so the first baby steps towards the sun endorsing Labour is made - 4 weeks to slowly adjust the tone
    I presumed they will go with its time for a change, but Starmer you are we will be watching you from day one if you break your promises.
  • Options

Got a bit of a cold, so off to bed now - I'm bushed.
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

Hang on, I am confused, I am sure this was widely considered by PB Tories to be a stroke of genius by Sunak to win the debate and swing the momentum decisively just a couple of days ago?
    It obviously had some considerable effect as Labour supporters have been jerking themselves off about it ever since because they know Labour is going to put up taxes substantially and it will hit ordinary people. Ordinary people are not what Labour considers to be "working people" whatever the fuck that means in their class obsessed small minds.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Again.

If they carry on like this none of their donors will be left with any means of being able to avoid tax.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,262
    Scott_xP said:

@mikeysmith

Baffling that not only did Rishi Sunak choose to skip a meeting of world leaders to do a TV interview, not only did he appear to abandon British veterans to do a TV interview....

...the interview isn't even going to be broadcast for another week.

Maybe it's the same flaw that he displayed when he walked out to call the election in the rain. He just sticks to his schedule and can't adjust in the moment to consider how things look.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,743

What language would that be? The ancient tongue of bullshido?
  • Options
    The_WoodpeckerThe_Woodpecker Posts: 440

dixiedean said:

Again.

Tim (once of this place) always said this was a George Osborne wheeze designed to be ditched just in time for a General Election. It's only taken the current incompetent arseh*les 9 extra years. Go well, Tim.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

AlsoLei said:

Scott_xP said:

@implausibleblog
    Wow! #BBCQT

Mark Harper doubles down

Starmer’s luck is the Conservative Campaign itself. How the 2K Lie was so flimsy and silly it didn’t even survive 24 hours, is just a piece of a jigsaw - of a simple picture of a turd.

At the PO enquiry today, trying to get to the root of what went wrong, it was suggested a leader didn’t like challenge, surrounded themselves with yes boys and girls, and worked in an echo chamber. Read across: this is exactly the same as what has happened at the top of the Conservative Party in the last 5 years. This explains just how it can go so badly wrong.

You may not like Lady Thatcher, but I do so I was give you, that this could never have happened in the 1980s. Lady Thatcher had blunt Yorkshireman called Bernard as head of communications - who Tony Been praised for helping him when in government - who would never have allowed anyone out there to defend a lie as flimsy as this one.

3 polls taken on the debate itself, one narrow win to Rishi, 2 comfortable wins to Starmer, and in supplementaries in all three huge wins for Starmer on trust, honesty, tried to actually answer, as well as economy, NHS. Starmers problem was in the format, just thirty seconds to speak before the buzzer goes and it moves on, your opponent can exploit this by talking over your 30 seconds.

The main debate take out for the history books, is Rishi got through it with quite blatant lies in answer to just about every question, and the days that flowed the debate, those lies have become the main narrative of the whole election campaign.
    Also an object lesson in the effect of power draining from you.

I think the first Official Treasury Tax Bombshell was cooked up by Lawson in 1987. And the central dishonesty- yes the Treasury crunch the numbers but the skill is in the assumptions, and they come from the party- has been there throughout.

Two things seem different this time. Partly Labour being forensic, asking the right question so that they get a rebuttal on paper, ready to go. I don't think anyone has bothered before.

But more importantly, power has drained from this government in a way that exceeds 2010 and 1997. And once both power and the prospect of power drain away, underlings are much more prepared to blow raspberries.

A lot of charisma is bluff. And now that Sunak's has been called, there's very little of him left.

I'm almost ready to feel sorry for him.
  • Options

Montie would vote for Farage if he wasnt standing
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,518

One of the all-time classic PB posts
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,210
    edited June 6

dixiedean said:

Again.

The Tory approaches seems to be following the Corbyn manifesto of 2019. Throw loads of red meat towards the base, but a) lots of rubbish policies crowding out the ones that individually perhaps are ok, b) but in the totality, everybody with half a brain goes hold on it just isn't possible to do that.

The triple lock++ for oldies, the new triple lock, no tax rises, I presume IHT abolished with be in there.
  • Options

He speaks the language of the swiveleyed loons that sadly make up too large a percentage of Tory activists, but even Tory activists know that Montgomery is a self appointed self serving tw*t
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 42.6%
    Con 21.7%
    LD 9.6%
    Grn 6.3%
    SNP 3.1%

Baxter:

Lab 496
    Con 69
    LD 47
    Grn 2
    SNP 14

Okay, thanks. I should have double-checked that.
    That's OK. I removed it and re ran the seat projections.
    It was almost identical.
This discussion has been closed.