Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What’s tonight’s debate going to this betting market? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,122
    Starmer smashing him into bits:
    "if the plan is working why are you calling an election"
    "If the plan is working why is everyone broke?"
    "How can you say I am putting up taxes when you've put taxes up 26 times to the highest level in 70 years"

Sunak already - as I said he would be - angry, snappy, aggressive. And we're all of 10 minutes in.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,334
    Christ. Sunak actually landed that lie….
  • Options
    Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 601

I’m expecting Rishi to throw the zinger I have given him: Starmer’s planned tax raid on struggling private schools, so beloved in their community and so vital to that aspiration of families that made UK so great in the first place, shows the real cheeks of Starmer’s arse. It will make Starmer stumble. He will have no answer. The media can then hammer it home over the next 4 weeks and reshape the polling.

Watch for it - MoonRabbit’s Hay Maker!

Or Starmer just adopts the Streeting resposnse and feints before landing a crushing blow on Mr Sunak's chin.

I suspect our debate would be a lot more exciting than the real one!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,110

Rishi has mentioned 'a clear plan' a few times now...

I think he said clear pan
    He said 'clear pflan', 'cos as we know there ain't no f in plan.
    But a clear flan is a lot more attractive than what he's offering.
  • Options
    ukelectukelect Posts: 120

ukelect said:

The first UK-Elect forecast of this campaign has been published on the UK-Elect website ( www.ukelect.co.uk ). It is based on the national and regional opinion poll averages and shows a Labour majority of "only" 154. (Lab 401, Con 178, LD 31, SNP 16). https://www.ukelect.co.uk/HTML/forecasts/20240604ForecastUK.html

Is this done on UNS? I note your Independent in Devon. Not a criticism - just asking for clarification
    It's using the current default UK-Elect forecast settings, which blend UNS with other forecasting techniques, and is using a mix of GB and Scottish and Welsh poll percentages. What it currently doesn't do is use the final candidates list, which will add various incumbency and tactical voting considerations to the mix.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,973
    biggles said:

Yup. Starmer needs to call him out.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,230

This is utter shyte isn't it?!!

I should have stuck with Columbo.

It’s not great. Neither convince and seem a little tetchy with each other.

It is great how these politicians meet people who share their worldview that they can then use in anecdotes.

• Options
    Toolmaker, ding ding ding
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 762

Why is Starmer not refuting the tax rise point. Foolish.

Yes no denial from Starmer.
  • Options
    My Dad was a toolmaker Klaxon 😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,532
    Taz said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Opening Image
    Sunak – Weird grin
    Starmer – Weird posture

Opening statements
    Sunak – A plan and bold action is needed. No one knows what Labour will do, but you know me. I’ll cut taxes and reduce immigration. Clear plan for a secure future for your family.
    Starmer – Election all about choice, turn the page on chaos and rebuild with Labour. I have a practical plan, and have changed Labour. Will make the country work for your family.

Rishi stiff, but clear. Starmer workmanlike.

Been watching Only Fans, has he?
    I bet milkshake girl is chuffed to bits given the free advertising her Onlyfans page is getting.
    Indeed. One of the world’s most popular websites has splashed her entire showreel on its front page. You simply cannot buy that sort of publicity,
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,456
    LDs new favourites?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Rishi has mentioned 'a clear plan' a few times now...

I think he said clear pan
    He said 'clear pflan', 'cos as we know there ain't no f in plan.
    But a clear flan is a lot more attractive than what he's offering.
    I like the ones where you used to buy a sponge base from the supermarket, and then pour a tin of fruit on top. Don’t see them any more.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,110

I had No Idea Starmer's dad was a toolmaker

Well he is a tool so it stands to reason.
  • Options
    CLEAR PLAN
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,218
    Sunak doing the talking-over-women thing again. Ugh.
  • Options
    How is Rishi allowed to keep saying £2000 and SKS isn't allowed to refute it?
  • Options
    Starmer now laughing at how deranged Sunak sounds
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,398

Because taxes are going to go up?

The only lie is that it will be due to Labour. If, by some lamentation of black swans, Rishi is still PM on July 5, his chancellor will have to put them up as well.
  • Options
    trukattrukat Posts: 30
    I had to turn that shite off. God help us all
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,204

It's ridiculous - he keeps getting cut off by the moderator!
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,314

Wasn't it obvious?

• Options
    DavidL said:

They need the ability to cut off their microphones, they really do. Sunak's in particular.

That's what I was about to say. It's pathetic he's allowed to keep speaking this rubbish.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 762

He's had chances to and hasn't taken them.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202

CLEAR PLAN

Sunak has all the possession of the ball so far, but not scored.

2nd like Arsenal.
  • Options

biggles said:

Yup. Starmer needs to call him out.
    Not clear to me why he didn’t refute the line - he let Sunak shout over Julie.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,736
    I honestly don't think a question about how to connect with people who are suffering is that useful, but moderator bringing it back to question of empathy.

Sunak says he understands and speaks to people about it. Starmer says his dad was a toolmaker and his mum a nurse, he knows what it is like to not be able to pay bills.

Delivery is decent enough so far, but Rishi needs to mix up saying his plan and Labour will raise taxes, he keeps talking over the moderator.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

They need the ability to cut off their microphones, they really do. Sunak's in particular.

Yes they do. Etchingham seems to be losing control at times.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,413
    Taz said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Opening Image
    Sunak – Weird grin
    Starmer – Weird posture

Opening statements
    Sunak – A plan and bold action is needed. No one knows what Labour will do, but you know me. I’ll cut taxes and reduce immigration. Clear plan for a secure future for your family.
    Starmer – Election all about choice, turn the page on chaos and rebuild with Labour. I have a practical plan, and have changed Labour. Will make the country work for your family.

I bet milkshake girl is chuffed to bits given the free advertising her Onlyfans page is getting.
    She went for a hard sell.
  • Options

The only lie is that it will be due to Labour. If, by some lamentation of black swans, Rishi is still PM on July 5, his chancellor will have to put them up as well.
    Starmer already listed Sunak's 26 tax rises and highest for 70 years. People know their taxes have gone up so much. Sunak can keep saying "Starmer will raise your taxes" and talk over everyone. But people know Sunak *has already* put up their taxes because they can count.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,999

He's had chances to and hasn't taken them.
    Seems bizarre that he hasn't called that a lie?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,476
    AlsoLei said:

Sunak doing the talking-over-women thing again. Ugh.

Both are. They need to mute the microphones when they go over time or off-topic.
  • Options

He can refute it if he chooses. Perhaps he hasn’t because it’s true ?
  • Options
    Pharmacist ding ding ding
  • Options
    Taz said:

But it isn't true is it. And you know it too.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,339
    kle4 said:

If the Tories did face an extinction level event taking them below 100 significantly (I think they'll avoid this...just) I wonder if the survivors will become famous figures of legend in years to come. It is not always the case that places which survive such an event represent the true strongholds which will never be lost after all.

One of the facts that always astounds me is that of the 8 seats the LDs retained in 2015, they only hold 2 of them today, both with the same MP

Orkney and Shetland
    Westmoreland and Lonsdale

In some of the others they are still in contention and will probably win them back (as they have already won back several lost in 2015), but in others despite holding on in 2015 they are falling back and and are not even close for second anymore like Leeds North West.

Tim Farron has fought W and L 6 times and won 5. 3 times he has had only a wafer thin majority. His current majority is under 2000. Even with very pro Tory boundary changes he will walk it by miles this time.

There is compelling evidence that to win this seat you have to be called Tim. This election will make 8 Tims in a row. (Sheep are very traditional and hate changing their voting habits. They outnumber the people about 100-1.)
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,413

You clearly haven't been paying attention to BJO's posts on how big a tool Starmer's Dad made.
  • Options
    I think this has been poor all round so far :(
  • Options
    edited June 4
    Taz said:

DavidL said:

Yes they do. Etchingham seems to be losing control at times.
    She is doing badly. I’m surprised. She is usually excellent.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,135

Taz said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Opening Image
    Sunak – Weird grin
    Starmer – Weird posture

Opening statements

Indeed. One of the world’s most popular websites has splashed her entire showreel on its front page. You simply cannot buy that sort of publicity,
    £1.79 at McDonalds...
  • Options
    UnpopularUnpopular Posts: 834
    Moderator isn't doing a great job. Don't know how Starmer counteracts this without following Sunak into a shouting match. Maybe the idea is to look statesman-like, but Sunak keeps getting this £2000 tax hit in unopposed.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,016

30 minutes, people :lol:

I won't be watching - I have a very low tolerance for cringe. I will rely on PB to tell me all about it.
    Oh! Mum says she's "embargoing" me from watching Rishi v. SKS on the living room TV, I'll have to watch it upstairs in my bedroom :lol:
    Sent to your room at the age of 43. Who are you - Timothy Lumsden?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,285
    Sunak showing once again why he lost to Truss
  • Options
    Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 601
    Twitter's response

Mr Sunak is being represented by his Madame Tussaud's waxworks. Which has been stood on a box.

Starmer - 'Tonight Matthew I'm going to be appearing as John Shuttlewort'h'
  • Options
    PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 444
    That's a memorable moment right there.
  • Options
    Okay that's memorable in of itself. Sunak is losing it.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,101

I won't be watching - I have a very low tolerance for cringe. I will rely on PB to tell me all about it.
    Oh! Mum says she's "embargoing" me from watching Rishi v. SKS on the living room TV, I'll have to watch it upstairs in my bedroom :lol:
    48!
  • Options
    Sunak absolutely blows it on the NHS question. Groans from the audience.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,696
    Leon said:

Leon said:

In all seriousness, if Putin bombing the fuck out of Uke infra means no aircon and no electric fans then JEEZZ

Odessa is HOT and humid in the summer

"In all seriousness..." Unspoofable.
    I’m saying that being here in Odessa brings home what a life without reliable mains power is like. Everywhere has portable generators. Aircon is an unrealistic luxury. The internet can go off any moment. Mobile signal itself can end. All electric transactions can become unfeasible at any moment. No lights after 9pm. And so on

Apply that to your own daily life
    Had a similar experience with water recently. Eight days ago the water came out of the tap discoloured. Had it tested - it's full of e coli because slurry washed off the cattle field has found it's easy into the borehole. This isn't that uncommon because all the cattle farmers break the rules on slurry spreading (but mostly I forgive them because the cheese is so good). So, anyway, we've been using bottled water for drinking and cooking, and trying not to think too much about what's going through the dishwasher, shower, etc, while decisions are made about fitting a filter and other remedial steps.

But on Saturday night the well water stopped completely. Not even any water for flushing the khazi. Complete disaster. Desperate situation. Had it run dry? Would we need to drill a new well? How long would it take to get connected to the mains? (Probably never, because they're at capacity locally)

Luckily, we managed to pull the pump up, and it had merely been a bit clogged with silt. After cleaning it up a bit we could drop it back down (with the rope shortened by a foot) and we had our (still polluted) water supply restored within 14 hours.

It did make me realise how much we take it for granted and come to rely on it unthinkingly.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,999
    I'm visiting the parents so it's an old Midsomer Murders with John Nettles.
  • Options
    Cameron would have had either of these on toast. And Boris, but via a lot of bluster. And Blair, had he ever said yes to these.
  • Options

Taz said:

But it isn't true is it. And you know it too.
    I know nothing of the sort. I fully expect taxes to increase post election whoever gets in.
  • Options

Pharmacist ding ding ding

has the pharmacist got something for red eye?

Big clap for Rishi’s slap down on Starmer’s faulty maths for the waiting list falling,
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,540

Recovered it a bit with the 35% point.
  • Options

Language turbotubbs.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Opening Image
    Sunak – Weird grin
    Starmer – Weird posture

Opening statements

£1.79 at McDonalds...
    Touche
  • Options

Sunak getting huge claps for his answers on NHS.

He’s screwering Starmer on the strikes.
  • Options
    edited June 4
    I’ve had to turn it off. Box office it ain’t. The cringe is too strong all around.
  • Options
    Keir losing it a bit. Maybe he doesn't have a CLEAR PLAN
  • Options
    How is Sunak allowed to shout down SKS repeatedly.

Seriously pisspoor.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,868
    Cliche bingo had forced me to finish my bottle of wine half an hour early. Now, where did I put the emergency supply?
  • Options
    Sunak losing his rag a bit.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,883
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Tory seats with Survation MRP:

Aberdeenshire North
    Dumfries
    Dumfriesshire
    Berwickshire
    Richmond & Northallerton (Rishi wins by 3.3%)
    Skipton
    Thisk
    Gainsborough
    Sleaford
    Boston
    Rutland
    Lichfield (Micky Fab holds on by 0.1%)
    Kingswinford & South Staffs
    North Shropshire (despite LD win in by-election)
    South Shropshire
    North Herefordshire
    Stratford
    Banbury
    Hitchin
    NW Essex (Kemi Badenoch wins by 2.3%)
    Maldon
    Brentwood
    Hornchurch
    Castle Point (by 1.1%)
    North Devon
    Tiverton
    Mid Dorset (despite being a LD seat between 2001 and 2015)
    North Dorset
    Salisbury
    Christchurch
    New Forest E
    New Forest W
    NE Hampshire
    NW Hampshire
    East Hampshire
    Hamble Valley
    Fareham
    Chippenham (despite being a LD seat recently)
    Melksham
    Aldershot
    Farnham
    Arundel
    Sussex Weald
    Tonbridge
    Sevenoaks
    East Surrey
    Surrey Heath (despite LDs hoping to win Gove's former seat)
    Maidenhead
    Beaconsfield
    Mid Bucks
    Ruislip (by 1%)
    Orpington

South Holland and Deepings is missing. Surely not.....
    Forecast:

Lab 33.2%
    Con 32.6%
    Ref 24.3%
    LD 5.3%
    Grn 3.1%
    Oth 1.5%

https://www.survation.com/survation-mrp-labour-set-for-record-breaking-majority/
  • Options
    Taz said:

Seriously pisspoor.

We are in agreement.
  • Options
    Question – health and social care (England only)
    I’ve interacted with the NHS more than most, I’m a cancer survivor, son is a nurse, no one is brave enough to tell us the truth and admit NHS is broken. How long to fix it?

Starmer – very sorry to hear your situation, NHS is in my DNA, it is broken. 14 years in government to leave it in a worse state is unforgivable. Sunak promised waiting lists would be down, they are up.

Sunak – thanks for sharing story. Dad GP, mum pharmacist, I was surrounded by it. We have to be honest to the damage Covid has done. Put record funding in, doing more checks and scans. The NHS is safe in my hands.

Sunak saying progress is being made, Starmer interjects to a laugh by saying Rishi is supposed to be good at maths but has missed his targets. Crowd reacts strongly incredulously to Rishi's attempt to dodge the point.

Rishi rebounds by saying it is worse in Wales. Starmer back on the promise Rishi made, scoring points there.

Moderator asks what Starmer would do re strikes. He says he would resolve them, get in the room with them. Back onto thepoint of waiting lists, says he has a plan.

Sunak - says he is grateful to NHS and wants a fair agreement with doctors, gets some applause about not raising taxes to pay for it.

Starmer - cannot afford what doctors asking for, Moderator lets Rishi interrupt several times about what his plan is, he brings up Truss.

Rishi definitely trying to look strong and aggressive, scored a few points but Starmer unruffled so far.
  • Options
    Well Starmer's a liar on the private healthcare point.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Seriously pisspoor.

It is not being applied fairly at the moment.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,999
    Not sure Keir saying he wouldn't go private is a good idea...
  • Options
    I hope Keir’s wife doesn’t ever do any private work….
  • Options
    That private healthcare answer was seriously dumb from Sunak. What was he thinking?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,201

Maybe my Mum was right :lol:

Mama Tried - Merle Haggard Live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeQOXMeSt8M
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Well Starmer's a liar on the private healthcare point.

How do you know?
  • Options
    edited June 4
    She needs to Shut Him Up

EDIT she has. Finally
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,135
    Chameleon said:

Sunak losing his rag a bit.

Very poor moderating.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,101
    "Gentlemen, please!" :lol:
  • Options
    Yup. Cut the mics.
  • Options
    They need to MUTE the microphones.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,324

That private healthcare answer was seriously dumb from Sunak. What was he thinking?

I think it's obvious to anyone he would, so he may as well say yes.
  • Options
    Starmer’s pension tax could sway a lot of votes tonight.
  • Options
    I am really very disappointed in this debate. Piss poor moderation and piss poor debating.
  • Options
    Question – fixing NHS requires fixing social care, Boris Johnson said there was a plan ready to go, we’re still way
    Can you commit to a fully costed solution

Sunak – yes, pilot reforms to be rolled out.
    Starmer – We will have a plan for social care, fully funded, Starts with workforce, poor conditions.

Moderator still leetting Rishi come back with additional points, she needs to be firmer.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,521

Starmer already listed Sunak's 26 tax rises and highest for 70 years. People know their taxes have gone up so much. Sunak can keep saying "Starmer will raise your taxes" and talk over everyone. But people know Sunak *has already* put up their taxes because they can count.
    We're continually told that people support higher taxes.

But when they experience one their tune immediately changes.

And for every tax rise there's a spending rise.

But nobody acknowledges that they're benefiting from spending rises or pay rises.

We just get an endless whine about tax rises and prices rises with exaggerations as to how much they've increased.

Followed by demands for more handouts.

I'd be tempted to feel sympathy for politicians but then they bring some of it upon themselves.
  • Options
    Muesli said:

Are you watching the same debate as everyone else? It’s on ITV/STV now if you fancy tuning in.
    Your biased.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,403

He hasn't even got his election winning defence of private schools in yet.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,866
  • Options
    edited June 4
    Might switch over to the England v France match on ITV4 for a while.
  • Options
    Keir has mentioned a policy!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,540
    RobD said:

I think it's obvious to anyone he would, so he may as well say yes.
    Starmer should have said no and left it at that.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,115
    Starmer probably connecting better emotionally but lacking detail for what we would do better. Rishi quite aggressive but also comes across as being in denial.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,324
    rcs1000 said:
    Anyone want to spend their daily allocation on that pic?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,201
    kinabalu said:

I'm visiting the parents so it's an old Midsomer Murders with John Nettles.

The Britter done it.
  • Options
    Audience applauding tax on private schools
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,585
    Andy_JS said:

Might switch over to the England v France match on ITV4 for a while.

It's a decent game. Better than Friday
  • Options
    Did they get this moderator off twitter? Let them dictate the debate within the areas.
  • Options
    Is it possible the £2000 could end up on some posters.
This discussion has been closed.